What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So has Brian Schottenheimer been fired yet? (1 Viewer)

He made Sanchez look decent much of the year, I doubt he gets fired after going back to back AFC Championships...just my thoughts.

I'm not a Jets fan and I only watched a couple of their games this year, so I have no idea one way or the other about him, but man - I turned that game off last night after the play calling that lead to Pittsburgh's goal-line stand in the 4th quarter. There's also some stories out there this morning about Santonio not being happy with him:

"As you can see, I watched from the sideline the first couple plays, so I don't know," said Holmes. When asked why he was on the sidelines and not in the game, Holmes replied: "Ask Coach Schottenheimer what was the reason behind that.

"Ask Coach Schottenheimer. I just had to go with the gameplan. That's the way things were called, and that's what I had to do."

When asked whether the coaching staff had given him any indication in advance that he wouldn't be in the starting lineup, Holmes said: "Ask Coach Schottenheimer what happened. He'll explain everything to you. I don't have an answer for that."

LINK: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/going_...M#ixzz1ByXqg8Zr

The Jets had a great year and while challenged from time to time on offense, they were at least able to incorporate the forward pass into their arsenal this season. That said, I think the Jets may have problems convincing Santonio Holmes or even Braylon Edwards to re-up this season given some of the growing pains.

BallparkFrank said:
The Jets had a great year and while challenged from time to time on offense, they were at least able to incorporate the forward pass into their arsenal this season. That said, I think the Jets may have problems convincing Santonio Holmes or even Braylon Edwards to re-up this season given some of the growing pains.
I don't at all, both of them know they can make a deep run with the Jets for years to come. I wouldn't think they want to leave as soon as possible.

BallparkFrank said:
I don't at all, both of them know they can make a deep run with the Jets for years to come. I wouldn't think they want to leave as soon as possible.
Braylon is dying to stay....... I can see Holmes looking for a huge pay day in the open market.As for Schottenheimer.... I wouldn't shed a tear if He left.I do cut him a little slack last night since the head sets went out on them... Which BTW really SUCKS and I can't believe in this day and age we can't have functioning head sets.

BallparkFrank said:
Braylon is dying to stay
that's b/c he has "a New York-type of essence"

Frankbot said:
I'm not a Jets fan and I only watched a couple of their games this year, so I have no idea one way or the other about him, but man - I turned that game off last night after the play calling that lead to Pittsburgh's goal-line stand in the 4th quarter. There's also some stories out there this morning about Santonio not being happy with him:

"As you can see, I watched from the sideline the first couple plays, so I don't know," said Holmes. When asked why he was on the sidelines and not in the game, Holmes replied: "Ask Coach Schottenheimer what was the reason behind that.

"Ask Coach Schottenheimer. I just had to go with the gameplan. That's the way things were called, and that's what I had to do."

When asked whether the coaching staff had given him any indication in advance that he wouldn't be in the starting lineup, Holmes said: "Ask Coach Schottenheimer what happened. He'll explain everything to you. I don't have an answer for that."

LINK: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/going_...M#ixzz1ByXqg8Zr
I am guessing that despite this the Jets re-sign Holmes although if they do they better be careful how they structure the deal. Santonio screws up a lot during the offseason and one more might cost him a year-long suspension.

Schotty needs to go. He's not the reason the Jets lost, but his overly scripted playcalling and his inability to adapt during the game is really keeping the Jets O from reaching the next level. Ther personnel is there . . . for now.

Schotty needs to go. He's not the reason the Jets lost, but his overly scripted playcalling and his inability to adapt during the game is really keeping the Jets O from reaching the next level. Ther personnel is there . . . for now.
Problem is who do you sign.... Most fans hate their OC....Miami just hired Brian Dabol for god's sake!!!!!I guess if Schott goes, I'd be happy with Bill Callahan moving over from OL... He does a great job with the OL though.

Problem is who do you sign.... Most fans hate their OC....Miami just hired Brian Dabol for god's sake!!!!!I guess if Schott goes, I'd be happy with Bill Callahan moving over from OL... He does a great job with the OL though.
Exactly. I'd want Callahan bumped up to OC and have him handpick his new OL coach.

Where would you rank Sanchez from 1-32 in terms of starting QB in the NFL? I'm curious. Braylon and Holmes, are they tier 1 WRs? Cotch?Where does Keller rank?LT and Greene?

Where would you rank Sanchez from 1-32 in terms of starting QB in the NFL? I'm curious. Braylon and Holmes, are they tier 1 WRs? Cotch?Where does Keller rank?LT and Greene?
add OFFENSIVE LINE? to those rankingsi believe schottenheimer has done a fine job with what he has to work with. His offense didn't give up 24 points in the first half

Rex is doing his end of year press conference as we speak. Said Schottenheimer "will absolutely be back next year as OC."

Awful playcalling. Why the two pass plays from the half yard line? Just run it four times, you just ran all the way up the field.

Also, enough of the gimmick plays, end arounds, etc. Run the ball. Just run the effing ball.

The play calling has been bad, particularly at key points down the stretch. They were lucky to get as far as they did with that crutch.

why would they fire him? I guess it was the OCs fault that Mendenhall went nuts in the first half
Where you are going wrong is that you are assuming we want him fired because of yesterday's game and (atrocious) play calling ... I've been screaming for him to be fired since 2007.

add OFFENSIVE LINE? to those rankingsi believe schottenheimer has done a fine job with what he has to work with. His offense didn't give up 24 points in the first half
I just want to know what Jets fans think of their skill position players because he's saying they have it all right now...I say they are alright but they aren't top 5 at the skill positions yet, not a by a long shot IMO. I can name at least a dozen and maybe more QBs that I would rather have over Sanchez. I'm not putting him down but he is far from elite.

Awful playcalling. Why the two pass plays from the half yard line? Just run it four times, you just ran all the way up the field.

Also, enough of the gimmick plays, end arounds, etc. Run the ball. Just run the effing ball.

The play calling has been bad, particularly at key points down the stretch. They were lucky to get as far as they did with that crutch.
This. 100%. To run all the way down there and then try and throw it in... I was sad for Jets fans everywhere watching that happen.

why would they fire him? I guess it was the OCs fault that Mendenhall went nuts in the first half
Where you are going wrong is that you are assuming we want him fired because of yesterday's game and (atrocious) play calling ... I've been screaming for him to be fired since 2007.
OK But you dont think that Sanchez has developed under him? Whats the real beef here?

Jets owned the second half.... If they could have come in with a better starting game plan and scored a couple in the first/second quarter... We wouldn't be having this convo..

Awful playcalling. Why the two pass plays from the half yard line? Just run it four times, you just ran all the way up the field. Also, enough of the gimmick plays, end arounds, etc. Run the ball. Just run the effing ball.The play calling has been bad, particularly at key points down the stretch. They were lucky to get as far as they did with that crutch.
Truth. GROUND AND POUND?Also... I marvel at what teams like the Steelers do... I believe it was 3rd and short last night and they didn't make it but, THEY KNEW BEFOREHAND that they would go for it on 4th and they tried to quickly line up and run the ball.... (The refs measured so, they didn't get to follow thru but, Ben was pissed)WHY don't more teams do this... You already know or should know the situations where you will go for it - So Line it up and GO and try to take advantage of the Defense..The Pats do it all the time... it gives you an edge.The Jets? They stand there forever and flip a coin - Heck on 1 4th down call a few weeks back Braylon Edwards basically had to sell the sideline on the call as they debated.

inability to adapt? Seems odd they they went from getting shutout the first half to moving the ball and almost coming back in the 2nd half...

OK But you dont think that Sanchez has developed under him? Whats the real beef here?
I can go on for hours. And of course Sanchez is going to "develop under him." He is a top 5 pick with great talent and intangibles. You think Schottenheimer is the only reason he made a jump from year 1 to year 2?How about we talk about a QB regressing under him? Chad Pennington started all 16 games for him in year 2006, and then more than half the season in 2007 before being benched for ineptitude. Over that time frame, he posted 27 TDs and 26 INTs. This is a guy who pre-Schotty had thrown 55 TDs and only 31 INTs. Then his first year away from Schotty, he went right back to being solid throwing 19 TDs and only 7 INTs for Miami.Totals without Schotty = 74 TDs, 38 INTsTotals with Schotty = 27 TDs, 26 INTsChad's good numbers were accumulated under 3 different OC's (Hackett, Heimerdinger, Henning). His bad numbers were Schotty alone. Also, the two seasons he played under Schotty were two of the healthiest years of his career. Some of his pre-Schotty numbers were accumulated while playing with a torn rotator cuff. He missed zero games under Schottenheimer due to arm injuries and was amongst the healthiest of his career. Who was the problem? Chad who was able to adjust and play well with multiple different play callers? Or Schotty, who's QBs always have terrible TD-INT rates?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a Schotty fan here. Never have been - way too much reliance on deception/trickery/etc. And indecisive - just terrible communication at crunch time.

I don't know if he should be fired, but the call on 4th down was horrible. It was clear they were running the ball so Pittsburgh just attacked the line of scrimmage. I knew LT was not going to get in if they ran it on that play and he didn't. If he was going to run it on 4th down, he probably needed to run it on 3rd down from the passing formation to see if he could get LT in or at least closer to the goalline.

Users who are viewing this thread