What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scott Walker WI governor vs the Packers & teachers (2 Viewers)

cr8f

Footballguy
This guy is probably trying the break unions, but threatened to bring in the National Guard if teachers and other state workers protested his "budget".

Like New Jersey he cancelled high speed rail and is now trying to get drastic cuts.

Today there are protests all over the state and the Packers joined against his actions. In addition to cuts he is trying to stop collective bargaining.

Now he's in big trouble. :lmao:

Current and former members of the Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers issued a statement in support of the workers:

We know that it is teamwork on and off the field that makes the Packers and Wisconsin great. As a publicly owned team we wouldn't have been able to win the Super Bowl without the support of our fans.

It is the same dedication of our public workers every day that makes Wisconsin run. They are the teachers, nurses and child care workers who take care of us and our families. But now in an unprecedented political attack Governor Walker is trying to take away their right to have a voice and bargain at work.

The right to negotiate wages and benefits is a fundamental underpinning of our middle class. When workers join together it serves as a check on corporate power and helps ALL workers by raising community standards. Wisconsin's long standing tradition of allowing public sector workers to have a voice on the job has worked for the state since the 1930s. It has created greater consistency in the relationship between labor and management and a shared approach to public work.

These public workers are Wisconsin's champions every single day and we urge the Governor and the State Legislature to not take away their rights.

High school students staged a walkout:

Junior Theron Luhn helped organize the protest. He said, “Let’s show Gov. Walker that we care about learning, and the teachers are worth every cent that we pay to them.”

Teachers would face significant cuts if Walker's budget passes. Take this family:

Brad and Heather Lutes are both teachers, and if the governor’s so-called budget repair bill passes this week, they will take a combined $13,200 paycut. It’s a disheartening and scary proposition for the parents of two young children.

-snip-

The Lutes family scrambled this weekend to calculate the impact on their finances. What they don’t know is how, with what amounts to a 13 percent paycut, they will handle their $1,700 mortgage, their car payment, utilities, and a credit card bill started to pay for repairs after the state’s recent flooding damaged their home.

Then there’s the matter of the costs associated with their son and daughter’s extracurriculars. Swimming, baseball, basketball and soccer participation doesn’t come cheap. Their daughter’s desire to take piano lessons is now even more in jeopardy.

So a 10% pay cut, as proposed by the governor's budget, will result in a loss of $13,200 in income for this devastated family. If my math is right, they will now have to get by on $118,800 meaning they won't have the money for their daughter piano lessons.

Oh, the cruelty!

We're screwed as a nation.

Thanks, cr11. O/U? It's about the Packers, so he's bound to drop back in soon. Going to go low here, 2 days.

I'm not a fan of Scott Walker, but I don't think its entirely honest to say he, "threatened to bring in the National Guard if teachers and other state workers protested his "budget". He knows there will be rallies and protests. He has mobilized the National Guard to fill in if prison guards or other public safety employees strike, not to put down protests.

God Bless Scott Walker for trying to bring some sanity to public worker contracts.

LOTS of brainwashed/uneducated people in Wisconsin don't understand that if these actions aren't taken it would result in the loss of thousands of jobs to close the budget gap.

This is what people (especially liberals) don't understand. Someone has to be the bad guy and say enough is enough. I'm glad we finally have an adult in the governors mansion that refuses to buckle under the thumb of the public employee unions.

Governor Walker is doing what's right for Wisconsin.

Teachers and other people affected by the new laws, sorry you FINALLY have to pay half of what the rest of us have to pay for benefits.

One of the benefits of being a teacher was the things he is taking away. I am sure they will compensate for these lost benefits in some other way.

God Bless Scott Walker for trying to bring some sanity to public worker contracts.

LOTS of brainwashed/uneducated people in Wisconsin don't understand that if these actions aren't taken it would result in the loss of thousands of jobs to close the budget gap.

This is what people (especially liberals) don't understand. Someone has to be the bad guy and say enough is enough. I'm glad we finally have an adult in the governors mansion that refuses to buckle under the thumb of the public employee unions.

Teachers and other people affected by the new laws, sorry you FINALLY have to pay half of what the rest of us have to pay for benefits.
Why is this a good thing?

So a 10% pay cut, as proposed by the governor's budget, will result in a loss of $13,200 in income for this devastated family. If my math is right, they will now have to get by on $118,800 meaning they won't have the money for their daughter piano lessons.Oh, the cruelty! We're screwed as a nation.
The millionaires and billionaires couldn't part with a 13k tax increase but a middle class family should shut up and take it in the form of a pay cut? We are screwed as a nation.

God Bless Scott Walker for trying to bring some sanity to public worker contracts.LOTS of brainwashed/uneducated people in Wisconsin don't understand that if these actions aren't taken it would result in the loss of thousands of jobs to close the budget gap.This is what people (especially liberals) don't understand. Someone has to be the bad guy and say enough is enough. I'm glad we finally have an adult in the governors mansion that refuses to buckle under the thumb of the public employee unions.Governor Walker is doing what's right for Wisconsin.Teachers and other people affected by the new laws, sorry you FINALLY have to pay half of what the rest of us have to pay for benefits.
All for the 4 billion he plans to send to his rich backers I guess? Because we should definitely place all the burden on the rapidly shrinking middle class right?

This guy is probably trying the break unions, but threatened to bring in the National Guard if teachers and other state workers protested his "budget".

Like New Jersey he cancelled high speed rail and is now trying to get drastic cuts.

Today there are protests all over the state and the Packers joined against his actions. In addition to cuts he is trying to stop collective bargaining.

Now he's in big trouble. :goodposting:
Quite the misleading title. It makes it sound like ALL of the Packers are against it. I wouldn't call Brady Poppinga and Jason Spitz faces of the franchise.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/116231984.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there's a ton of opposition to the concept of reducing salaries for many or most public employees, including teachers. I think the concern with Walker's tactics is that he is stripping the unions of their ability to collectively bargain on any of the issues cba's typically address, other than pay. I'm not really sure how he is doing this, but that is how it is being reported - that the teachers' union (for example) can no longer bargain over things like sick pay, hours, vacation discipline, promotions, etc. That seems strange to me, even as a critic of the teachers union. Its also a concern that he has completely exempted the police and firefighters unions, claiming they have special status relating to public security. In Milwaukee, both of these unions were big Walker supporters last November, although I know that was not necessarily true across the state.

So a 10% pay cut, as proposed by the governor's budget, will result in a loss of $13,200 in income for this devastated family. If my math is right, they will now have to get by on $118,800 meaning they won't have the money for their daughter piano lessons.Oh, the cruelty! We're screwed as a nation.
The millionaires and billionaires couldn't part with a 13k tax increase but a middle class family should shut up and take it in the form of a pay cut? We are screwed as a nation.
Has someone proposed a .001% tax increase on billionaires?

Has someone proposed a .001% tax increase on billionaires?
Well, $118,800 is more than twice the median household income. Perhaps Warren Buffett will step up to the plate and help those who earn more than twice the median income. They are obviously in dire need of help, rather than the 9% unemployed, who may have no household income.

CletiusMaximus said:
I don't think there's a ton of opposition to the concept of reducing salaries for many or most public employees, including teachers. I think the concern with Walker's tactics is that he is stripping the unions of their ability to collectively bargain on any of the issues cba's typically address, other than pay. I'm not really sure how he is doing this, but that is how it is being reported - that the teachers' union (for example) can no longer bargain over things like sick pay, hours, vacation discipline, promotions, etc. That seems strange to me, even as a critic of the teachers union. Its also a concern that he has completely exempted the police and firefighters unions, claiming they have special status relating to public security. In Milwaukee, both of these unions were big Walker supporters last November, although I know that was not necessarily true across the state.
:thumbup: Agree with everything you've said. With Madison schools closing today (40% of teachers called in sick), expect to see many teachers and students at the capital today, haven't seen any news footage yet. It's interesting to see the public employee vs. private employee sentiment that is going on in the state. A couple months back there were a couple of articles in local papers pointing out the public employee benefit/pay packages and how they compare to private employees and it was slanted towards: the private employees are taking pay cuts and have to pay for benefits so the public should too. Will be interesting to see if this bill gets passed and if so, what ramifications there will be for those approving it. Many angry people in Wisconsin today.

I'm not sure where I stand on the collective bargaining issue. I understand that in theory, that seems like a bad thing. However, as a taxpayer, I'm very concerned about our state being flat ### broke.

And we know that the majority of state workers pay much, much less than the national average for their health insurance premiums. So Walker asking them to pay a bit more, a number that still only amounts to half the national average, doest't strike me as a bad thing.

As a private sector worker, I've seen more than my share of job loss, increased premiums, and pay freezes. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

First, I am a certified teacher in the state of Wisconsin.

Second, I have not had a full time teaching job due to the "recession" and partly due to the Union and its demands.

Third, I want a job doing what I love to do and doing something I went to school for.

Fourth, down with the Wisconsin Teachers Union because they have not helped me one iota.

Fifth, I don't mind what Walker is trying to do.

How are so many teachers calling in sick that they have to close the schools "Helping the Children"? The "It's for the kids" argument is such garbage I am tired of hearing it. I believe I heard before that close to 90% of the school budget goes to teacher pay and benefits, and yet when something needs to get cut they start with the good sports or clubs just to get property tax increases through, it's a joke. Almost never are teacher union demands ever for the kids benefit. This from someone who has had to hear these #### arguments from friends wives and friends for years. They really have no clue how the private sector is and what normal employees have to pay for. I could go on for a long time but don't want to. I have no problem with them paying for some of their benefits...

How are so many teachers calling in sick that they have to close the schools "Helping the Children"? The "It's for the kids" argument is such garbage I am tired of hearing it. I believe I heard before that close to 90% of the school budget goes to teacher pay and benefits, and yet when something needs to get cut they start with the good sports or clubs just to get property tax increases through, it's a joke. Almost never are teacher union demands ever for the kids benefit. This from someone who has had to hear these #### arguments from friends wives and friends for years. They really have no clue how the private sector is and what normal employees have to pay for. I could go on for a long time but don't want to. I have no problem with them paying for some of their benefits...
Hopefully they will make the switch to a private sector model and the principals who are essentially the CAO of schools will start making 13 million $ per year like normal cao's

:popcorn: In our district the classrooms are becoming more and more over crowded because they cannot afford to hire more teachers.

The Average Teacher with 3 Years seniority is making over 80k in our district when you add in benefits.

Not to mention, once they reach that magically 3 years they have to almost kill someone in order to get fired.

Time the Teachers Union got :lmao: like us Tax payers and our children have been for years.

in DC, Michelle Rhee got shot down by the union every time she tried to make a change to improve the schools.

LOL... some of you really crack me up with the "Teachers have it too good" rhetoric. If the benifits are SOOO good why don't you all get into the profession?? Here's my invite into the world of education. I mean it sounds like a CAKE job, what with all the great benefits and job security. I mean they DON'T EVEN work all year around!! I would think some of you would be lined up to get on that gravy train. I mean with the unions running amuck. I can't think of a better profession.

LOL... some of you really crack me up with the "Teachers have it too good" rhetoric. If the benifits are SOOO good why don't you all get into the profession?? Here's my invite into the world of education. I mean it sounds like a CAKE job, what with all the great benefits and job security. I mean they DON'T EVEN work all year around!! I would think some of you would be lined up to get on that gravy train. I mean with the unions running amuck. I can't think of a better profession.
I'm pretty sure you were going to come in here and post that no matter what discussion was actually happening.Given the discussion in here, I'd say I'm right.

By the way, I'm getting sick of the ads from the unions. I don't have a strong lean on this either way, since I certainly see both sides - but the union ads are ridiculous. They're completely emotional, bring zero facts to the table, and are just whining rants.

RudiStein said:
Statorama said:

Why is this a good thing?
Because their benefits are paid by me and other taxpayers.In order to balance the books, either they have to pay a little more or I have to pay a little more. I choose them. I'm already paying more than twice what they're paying, PLUS I'm paying a portion of theirs.

Called my state rep and state senator this morning to let them know I'm backing Walkers play and glad they were too.

The aide to one of them said they're standing behind Walker all the way and called the protesters the "vocal minority". :confused:

NCCommish said:
Statorama said:

All for the 4 billion he plans to send to his rich backers I guess? Because we should definitely place all the burden on the rapidly shrinking middle class right?
Ummm no NCC, our state is in serious trouble financially. He is doing this to get us back from the financial mess that Doyle did to us.

CletiusMaximus said:
:popcorn: Agree with everything you've said. With Madison schools closing today (40% of teachers called in sick), expect to see many teachers and students at the capital today, haven't seen any news footage yet. It's interesting to see the public employee vs. private employee sentiment that is going on in the state. A couple months back there were a couple of articles in local papers pointing out the public employee benefit/pay packages and how they compare to private employees and it was slanted towards: the private employees are taking pay cuts and have to pay for benefits so the public should too. Will be interesting to see if this bill gets passed and if so, what ramifications there will be for those approving it. Many angry people in Wisconsin today.
Pathetic.They should be fired.

Yea, "We're here for the kids" is a load of :bowtie:

Damn :popcorn:

:popcorn:No one forced any of those teachers to get into teaching.Take the whining elsewhere.Oh and I was a teacher once. Easiest money I ever made. But I hated it, so i got out.

NCCommish said:
Statorama said:

Ummm no NCC, our state is in serious trouble financially. He is doing this to get us back from the financial mess that Doyle did to us.
:sigh:There's an incredibly complex budget crisis going on where we live. We have to decide exactly how to handle it, and navigate structures that have been in places for decades in order to get there. It makes me very, very sad that so many people just jump to their party's line and put the stake in the ground.

It's not even remotely as simple as you're making it out to be. I'm pretty sure I'm even on your side here (but I haven't heard all the information I need to) - but this partisan stance is hurting Wisconsin children MUCH more than some teachers taking a sick day.

How are Wisconsin kids hurt with teacher contract negotiations? Why are they politicizing in the classroom?

Here is video from yesterday, pathetic....other audio shows that some kids don't even know the governor's name.

NCCommish said:
Statorama said:

Is that what he told you?? I seriously doubt your state is in as much trouble as this guy says. i will say this though, at least you guys don't live in Iowa. We had to elect the biggest moron to ever run for governor here. The sad thing is that this will be his 5th term! He was governor starting back in the 80's and served 4 consecutive terms and then got booted out. Now he decided to come back to see if he can finish the job of ruining this state. I am speaking of Terry Brandstad a.k.a "braindead".

Article last week, 2 year budget shortfall of 3.6 billion dollars, for a state with 5 million people. Job situation in SE Wisconsin for the past 2 1/2 years has been terrible with some private sector unions taking concessions to save jobs. We have had issues with companies like Harley, Mercury Marine, Thomas Products, and Kohler Co, etc...

Our state financially has been a mess for several years now (not to mention our tax situation).

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/115501969.html

:jawdrop:No one forced any of those teachers to get into teaching.Take the whining elsewhere.Oh and I was a teacher once. Easiest money I ever made. But I hated it, so i got out.
not whining... I love my job. and i have never been one who felt i was undercompensated or underappreciated. I do my job and wouldnt change it. My point is and has always been those who complain thats its a cush job with such great benefits, had the same chance to get into it as I did. It seems to me that if its so good of a job that more would WANT to do it. But thanks for the advise

:cry:No one forced any of those teachers to get into teaching.Take the whining elsewhere.Oh and I was a teacher once. Easiest money I ever made. But I hated it, so i got out.
not whining... I love my job. and i have never been one who felt i was undercompensated or underappreciated. I do my job and wouldnt change it. My point is and has always been those who complain thats its a cush job with such great benefits, had the same chance to get into it as I did. It seems to me that if its so good of a job that more would WANT to do it. But thanks for the advise
In New Jersey, the number of applicants for each teaching job is in the hundreds.

NCCommish said:
Statorama said:

:sigh:There's an incredibly complex budget crisis going on where we live. We have to decide exactly how to handle it, and navigate structures that have been in places for decades in order to get there. It makes me very, very sad that so many people just jump to their party's line and put the stake in the ground.

It's not even remotely as simple as you're making it out to be. I'm pretty sure I'm even on your side here (but I haven't heard all the information I need to) - but this partisan stance is hurting Wisconsin children MUCH more than some teachers taking a sick day.
I know this, I was basically just giving a simplified answer to NCC's crazy response.

NCCommish said:
Statorama said:

I know this, I was basically just giving a simplified answer to NCC's crazy response.
Even though I mentioned your side specifically, I wasn't really just replying to you. Sorry for the confusion.Much of this thread has been what I hate about this entire discussion.

:shrug:No one forced any of those teachers to get into teaching.Take the whining elsewhere.Oh and I was a teacher once. Easiest money I ever made. But I hated it, so i got out.
I think most of us respect teachers and the job they do. It's a tough job that not everyone could do and do well. However this applies to many occupations in the private sector as well. Most of us in the private sector have taken a hit in the past few years via wages freezes, decreased if not completely eliminated 401K match, increased insurance premiums, etc...It's now time for the public sector to feel the pinch. It sucks and Walker's methods may be a little extreme but something has to be done with the ever growing budget deficit. My wife's a state of WI employee so we're looking at a pay cut and increase health insurance premiums but such is life. Our health insurance will still be a much better deal than I could ever find in the private sector.

:shrug:No one forced any of those teachers to get into teaching.Take the whining elsewhere.Oh and I was a teacher once. Easiest money I ever made. But I hated it, so i got out.
I don't think anyone's saying that teachers have 'cush' jobs. It takes the right kind of person to teach. Just like it take the right kind of person to be a great sales person. Or the CEO of a company. I also don't think it's out of line to ask that teacher's pay more of their insurance premium. And it's not out of line to be asked to cover more of their pension. Especially in light of a budget shortfall of 3.6 billion dollars.Someone has to cover that cost. Either everyone's taxes go up, or the state makes cuts. And I'll tell you right now, raising taxes at a time when the private sector has been hatcheting jobs over the last few years is not the way to go. In your opinion, how would you close the budget gap?

I think most of us respect teachers and the job they do. It's a tough job that not everyone could do and do well. However this applies to many occupations in the private sector as well. Most of us in the private sector have taken a hit in the past few years via wages freezes, decreased if not completely eliminated 401K match, increased insurance premiums, etc...It's now time for the public sector to feel the pinch. It sucks and Walker's methods may be a little extreme but something has to be done with the ever growing budget deficit. My wife's a state of WI employee so we're looking at a pay cut and increase health insurance premiums but such is life. Our health insurance will still be a much better deal than I could ever find in the private sector.
Well said.

These politicians are hoodwinking the people. I do not believe these states are as broke as they are making them out to be. Our previous governor said he was leaving the state with a surplus and Branstad acts like we are about ready to shut the doors and turn the lights out. His solution to the problem, cut the corporate tax rate in half. Then out of the other side of his mouth he is going to cut everything to the bone, except his salary of course. The guy will turn this state into the bottom of the barrel by the time he is done.

tuffnutt said:
Those who can, do.Those who can't, teach.

CletiusMaximus said:
I'm not a fan of Scott Walker, but I don't think its entirely honest to say he, "threatened to bring in the National Guard if teachers and other state workers protested his "budget". He knows there will be rallies and protests. He has mobilized the National Guard to fill in if prison guards or other public safety employees strike, not to put down protests.
par for the course from cr8f

I don't care who you are or what you do , pay cuts are bad. A pay freeze is one thing but cuts just aren't right. Why not cut $$ to the fat cats like the schhol admin & state legislature

union workers in the FFA are looked diwn on by the lefties & righties like they are AQ

Mr.Pack said:
tuffnutt said:
:unsure: No one forced any of those teachers to get into teaching.

Take the whining elsewhere.

Oh and I was a teacher once. Easiest money I ever made. But I hated it, so i got out.
Sure, I bet it was easy -- you were probably one of the awful teachers who give the profession a bad name. That's usually what I've seen from folks who claim that "it was easy to be a teacher."

Users who are viewing this thread