What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scott Walker WI governor vs the Packers & teachers (2 Viewers)

Now he threatens to fire 12,000 state workers. I didn't see any Hitler signs, but he is acting pretty dictatorial here.
:thumbup: Hitler always a crowd pleaser. There were plenty of Hitler sightings in Wisconsin this week...here are a few. You might not want to click, then you can still make that silly statement. One

Two

Three

Four

Five

Six

Oh, yes...and a death to tyrant poster...very nice

Six
Lot of Conservative plants in that crowd!

Now he threatens to fire 12,000 state workers. I didn't see any Hitler signs, but he is acting pretty dictatorial here.
:bag: Hitler always a crowd pleaser. There were plenty of Hitler sightings in Wisconsin this week...here are a few. You might not want to click, then you can still make that silly statement. One

Two

Three

Four

Five

Six

Six
Number four doesn't even make sense.

What exactly are the cuts in salary and benefits? Does this only affect teachers unions, or does it include all unions except fire/police?
This is clipped from a right wing article, but the facts on the benefit cuts are correct. I bolded the relevant facts so you can ignore the rhetoric. There are no cuts in salary (unless you consider that they're now going to be paying more for their benefits as a cut in salary).
The lowdown: State government workers in the Badger State pay piddling amounts for generous taxpayer-subsidized health benefits. Faced with a $3.6 billion budget hole and a state constitutional ban on running a deficit, new GOP Gov. Scott Walker wants public unions to pony up a little more. He has proposed raising the public employee share of health insurance premiums from less than 5 percent to 12.4 percent. He is also pushing for state workers to cover half of their pension contributions. To spare taxpayers the soaring costs of Byzantine union-negotiated work rules, he would rein in Big Labor's collective bargaining power to cover only wages unless approved at the ballot box.

As the free-market MacIver Institute in Wisconsin points out, the benefits concessions Walker is asking public union workers to make would still maintain their health insurance contribution rates at the second-lowest among Midwest states for family coverage. Moreover, a new analysis by benefits think tank HCTrends shows that the new rate "would also be less than the employee contributions required at 85 percent of large Milwaukee_area employers."

This modest call for shared sacrifice has triggered the wrath of the White House-Big Labor-Michael Moore axis.

Bullet points of the bill from the left

What the bill does:

• Restricts public employees from negotiating everything except their wage

• Does not affect police and fire workers

• Limits wage increases to the rate of inflation

• Requires any larger wage increase to be approved by referendum

• Requires public employees to pay 5.8 percent of their pensions and 12 percent of their health care benefits

• Requires that collective bargaining units take annual votes to maintain certification as a union

• Prohibits employers from collecting union dues

• Releases members of collective bargaining units from dues paying requirements

• Authorizes restructuring of principal payments in the current budget for general obligation bonds, reducing debt payment costs by $165 million

• Increases general revenue for Medicaid to cover an estimated $153 million deficit

• Provides $22 million to address shortfalls in the prisons budget

• Authorizes the Department of Administration to sell state heating plants, with the net proceeds deposited in the budget stabilization fund

:bag: Hitler always a crowd pleaser. There were plenty of Hitler sightings in Wisconsin this week...here are a few. You might not want to click, then you can still make that silly statement. One

Two

Three

Four

Five

Six

Six
How do you hold up a sign when you're in a coma?

:doh: Hitler always a crowd pleaser. There were plenty of Hitler sightings in Wisconsin this week...here are a few. You might not want to click, then you can still make that silly statement. One

Two

Three

Four

Five

Six

Six
Its not just a coma, its a BRAIN COMA!!!!!

Surprised to see Time Magazine on the side of the taxpayers

Revolutions everywhere--in the middle east, in the middle west. But there is a difference: in the middle east, the protesters are marching for democracy; in the middle west, they're protesting against it. I mean, Isn't it, well, a bit ironic that the protesters in Madison, blocking the state senate chamber, are chanting "Freedom, Democracy, Union" while trying to prevent a vote? Isn't it ironic that the Democratic Senators have fled the democratic process? Isn't it interesting that some of those who--rightly--protest the assorted Republican efforts to stymie majority rule in the U.S. Senate are celebrating the Democratic efforts to stymie the same in the Wisconsin Senate?

An election was held in Wisconsin last November. The Republicans won. In a democracy, there are consequences to elections and no one, not even the public employees unions, are exempt from that. There are no guarantees that labor contracts, including contracts governing the most basic rights of unions, can't be renegotiated, or terminated for that matter. We hold elections to decide those basic parameters. And it seems to me that Governor Scott Walker's basic requests are modest ones--asking public employees to contribute more to their pension and health care plans, though still far less than most private sector employees do. He is also trying to limit the unions' abilities to negotiate work rules--and this is crucial when it comes to the more efficient operation of government in a difficult time. When I covered local government in New York 30 years ago, the school janitors (then paid a robust $60,000 plus per year) had negotiated the "right" to mop the cafeteria floors only once a week. And we all know about the near-impossibility of getting criminal and morally questionable--to say nothing of less than competent--teachers fired. The negotiation of such contracts were acts of collusion rather than of mediation. Government officials were, in effect, bribing their most activist constituents.

Public employees unions are an interesting hybrid. Industrial unions are organized against the might and greed of ownership. Public employees unions are organized against the might and greed...of the public? Despite their questionable provenance, public unions can serve an important social justice role, guaranteeing that a great many underpaid workers--school bus drivers, janitors (outside of New York City), home health care workers--won't be too severely underpaid. That role will be kept intact in Wisconsin. In any given negotiation, I'm rooting for the union to win the highest base rates of pay possible...and for management to win the least restrictive work rules and guidelines governing how much truly creative public employees can be paid.

But we've had far too many state legislatures, of both parties, that have been cowed by the political power of the unions and enacted contracts that force state and city governments to be run for the benefit of their employees, rather than for their citizens. This situation is most egregious in far too many school districts across the nation. The events in Wisconsin are a rebalancing of power that, after decades of flush times and lax negotiating, had become imbalanced. That is also something that, from time to time, happens in a democracy.

Revolutions everywhere--in the middle east, in the middle west. But there is a difference: in the middle east, the protesters are marching for democracy; in the middle west, they're protesting against it. I mean, Isn't it, well, a bit ironic that the protesters in Madison, blocking the state senate chamber, are chanting "Freedom, Democracy, Union" while trying to prevent a vote? Isn't it ironic that the Democratic Senators have fled the democratic process? Isn't it interesting that some of those who--rightly--protest the assorted Republican efforts to stymie majority rule in the U.S. Senate are celebrating the Democratic efforts to stymie the same in the Wisconsin Senate?

An election was held in Wisconsin last November. The Republicans won. In a democracy, there are consequences to elections and no one, not even the public employees unions, are exempt from that. There are no guarantees that labor contracts, including contracts governing the most basic rights of unions, can't be renegotiated, or terminated for that matter. We hold elections to decide those basic parameters. And it seems to me that Governor Scott Walker's basic requests are modest ones--asking public employees to contribute more to their pension and health care plans, though still far less than most private sector employees do. He is also trying to limit the unions' abilities to negotiate work rules--and this is crucial when it comes to the more efficient operation of government in a difficult time. When I covered local government in New York 30 years ago, the school janitors (then paid a robust $60,000 plus per year) had negotiated the "right" to mop the cafeteria floors only once a week. And we all know about the near-impossibility of getting criminal and morally questionable--to say nothing of less than competent--teachers fired. The negotiation of such contracts were acts of collusion rather than of mediation. Government officials were, in effect, bribing their most activist constituents.

Public employees unions are an interesting hybrid. Industrial unions are organized against the might and greed of ownership. Public employees unions are organized against the might and greed...of the public? Despite their questionable provenance, public unions can serve an important social justice role, guaranteeing that a great many underpaid workers--school bus drivers, janitors (outside of New York City), home health care workers--won't be too severely underpaid. That role will be kept intact in Wisconsin. In any given negotiation, I'm rooting for the union to win the highest base rates of pay possible...and for management to win the least restrictive work rules and guidelines governing how much truly creative public employees can be paid.

But we've had far too many state legislatures, of both parties, that have been cowed by the political power of the unions and enacted contracts that force state and city governments to be run for the benefit of their employees, rather than for their citizens. This situation is most egregious in far too many school districts across the nation. The events in Wisconsin are a rebalancing of power that, after decades of flush times and lax negotiating, had become imbalanced. That is also something that, from time to time, happens in a democracy.
Get used to this issue, 'cause it ain't goin' away. You want to raise my taxes. Fine. Cut your costs, too.

Where are you Tim, these hateful protests are exactly what you said the Tea Party was like and that was a lie...

Not only were you wrong about the Tea Party but you are a hypocrite to see, accept and make excuses for it from the left...

Faux outrage at the right and no outrage to the left when it is obvious that the left is by far the more violent and hateful of the two...

This show of hatred will have big consequences in 2012...

There are plenty of liberals, myself included, who are neutral at best on the necessity of public unions. Where I think Joe Klein completely misses the target with this analysis is in asserting that Walker's requests are "modest ones" and the the basic collective bargaining right of employees for compensation is preserved. There are two major components of compensation, salary and benefits. The split between them varies, but as a general rule of thumb private industry is split about 70/30 between the two and public sector is split closer to 60/40. The flip side of that is that there is also typically or expected to be more upside salary and bonus potential in the private workforce. Without getting into what constitutes a correct, appropriate, or reasonable split, the point is that benefits make up a large percentage of total comp regardless of what sector you are looking at. With two major components in play, if you take away bargaining rights over one of them you have effectively ended all bargaining over compensation. In other words, the union can negotiate whatever salary terms they want and under the new plan the state can simply modify the benefit components of reach the same total comp amount.

If salary alone is the only thing that union can negotiate, there's simply no reason for the union to exist. I'm sure that's also why this bill would require a yearly certification vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are plenty of liberals, myself included, who are neutral at best on the necessity of public unions. Where I think Joe Klein completely misses the target with this analysis is in asserting that Walker's requests are "modest ones" and the the basic collective bargaining right of employees for compensation is preserved. There are two major components of compensation, salary and benefits. The split between them varies, but as a general rule of thumb private industry is split about 70/30 between the two and public sector is split closer to 60/40. The flip side of that is that there is also typically or expected to be more upside salary and bonus potential potential in the private workforce. Without getting into what constitutes a correct, appropriate, or reasonable split, the point is that benefits make up a large percentage of total comp regardless of what sector you are looking at. With two major components in play, if you take away bargaining rights over one of them you have effectively ended all bargaining over compensation. In other words, the union can negotiate whatever salary terms they want and under the new plan the state can simply modify the benefit components of reach the same total comp amount. If salary alone is the only thing that union can negotiate, there's simply no reason for the union to exist. I'm sure that's also why this bill would require a yearly certification vote.
The problem with this is that public unions have been getting both; regular raises through the teeth of this recession plus extremely generous retirement benefits. Again, it's the very unbalanced nature of public union negotiations that is the problem, not just cutting enough to get through the short-term crisis.I don't know about you, but I really resent paying high taxes to support a teacher retiring at age 52 with full benefits.

There are plenty of liberals, myself included, who are neutral at best on the necessity of public unions. Where I think Joe Klein completely misses the target with this analysis is in asserting that Walker's requests are "modest ones" and the the basic collective bargaining right of employees for compensation is preserved. There are two major components of compensation, salary and benefits. The split between them varies, but as a general rule of thumb private industry is split about 70/30 between the two and public sector is split closer to 60/40. The flip side of that is that there is also typically or expected to be more upside salary and bonus potential potential in the private workforce. Without getting into what constitutes a correct, appropriate, or reasonable split, the point is that benefits make up a large percentage of total comp regardless of what sector you are looking at. With two major components in play, if you take away bargaining rights over one of them you have effectively ended all bargaining over compensation. In other words, the union can negotiate whatever salary terms they want and under the new plan the state can simply modify the benefit components of reach the same total comp amount. If salary alone is the only thing that union can negotiate, there's simply no reason for the union to exist. I'm sure that's also why this bill would require a yearly certification vote.
The problem with this is that public unions have been getting both; regular raises through the teeth of this recession plus extremely generous retirement benefits. Again, it's the very unbalanced nature of public union negotiations that is the problem, not just cutting enough to get through the short-term crisis.I don't know about you, but I really resent paying high taxes to support a teacher retiring at age 52 with full benefits.
I don't know any teachers who have retired at age 52 with full benefits.Not a union fan in the least.....and agree that public unions have been getting some....interesting....deals. But I don't see gutting the right to collectively bargain as the right solution.

From what I've read, teachers in Wisconsin and around the country have been taking unpaid furloughs, frozen wages, layoffs, and other measures to work through the State budget problems. The Wisconsin benefits hadn't been touched yet, and that certainly seems appropriate. I don't even have a problem with the state changing the rules around what unions can negotiate going forward. I just think it should to be an issue that is publicly debated over at least one election cycle, not dropped as an "oh by the way, no more collective bargaining" a couple of months after an election.

There are plenty of liberals, myself included, who are neutral at best on the necessity of public unions. Where I think Joe Klein completely misses the target with this analysis is in asserting that Walker's requests are "modest ones" and the the basic collective bargaining right of employees for compensation is preserved. There are two major components of compensation, salary and benefits. The split between them varies, but as a general rule of thumb private industry is split about 70/30 between the two and public sector is split closer to 60/40. The flip side of that is that there is also typically or expected to be more upside salary and bonus potential potential in the private workforce. Without getting into what constitutes a correct, appropriate, or reasonable split, the point is that benefits make up a large percentage of total comp regardless of what sector you are looking at. With two major components in play, if you take away bargaining rights over one of them you have effectively ended all bargaining over compensation. In other words, the union can negotiate whatever salary terms they want and under the new plan the state can simply modify the benefit components of reach the same total comp amount.

If salary alone is the only thing that union can negotiate, there's simply no reason for the union to exist. I'm sure that's also why this bill would require a yearly certification vote.
I don't know any teachers who have retired at age 52 with full benefits.Not a union fan in the least.....and agree that public unions have been getting some....interesting....deals. But I don't see gutting the right to collectively bargain as the right solution.
http://www.ehow.com/info_7756354_many-work...can-retire.html

There are plenty of liberals, myself included, who are neutral at best on the necessity of public unions. Where I think Joe Klein completely misses the target with this analysis is in asserting that Walker's requests are "modest ones" and the the basic collective bargaining right of employees for compensation is preserved. There are two major components of compensation, salary and benefits. The split between them varies, but as a general rule of thumb private industry is split about 70/30 between the two and public sector is split closer to 60/40. The flip side of that is that there is also typically or expected to be more upside salary and bonus potential potential in the private workforce. Without getting into what constitutes a correct, appropriate, or reasonable split, the point is that benefits make up a large percentage of total comp regardless of what sector you are looking at. With two major components in play, if you take away bargaining rights over one of them you have effectively ended all bargaining over compensation. In other words, the union can negotiate whatever salary terms they want and under the new plan the state can simply modify the benefit components of reach the same total comp amount.

http://www.ehow.com/info_7756354_many-work...can-retire.html
Um, above you wrote "retired at age 52 with full benefits." The link you provided doesn't explain well, but yes, teachers might be able to retire at age 52.....WITHOUT full benefits. Which is why the link specifically states that many teachers work longer (than 30 years) to obtain more full benefits.My mom retired at age 60, after teaching for 38 years. She didn't get full benefits and was ok with that decision. [and yes, she taught in Wisconsin the whole time]

Again, not a fan of unions. Just trying to correct what I saw as an inaccurate statement that might distort people's views on this issue.

From what I've read, teachers in Wisconsin and around the country have been taking unpaid furloughs, frozen wages, layoffs, and other measures to work through the State budget problems. The Wisconsin benefits hadn't been touched yet, and that certainly seems appropriate. I don't even have a problem with the state changing the rules around what unions can negotiate going forward. I just think it should to be an issue that is publicly debated over at least one election cycle, not dropped as an "oh by the way, no more collective bargaining" a couple of months after an election.
But teachers are very disingenuous about this. I have heard lots of whining from teachers about not getting pay increases. What they neglect to mention is the state law mandated step increases that they have been getting all along, even while their cost of living increases may have been cut back.

But teachers are very disingenuous about this. I have heard lots of whining from teachers about not getting pay increases. What they neglect to mention is the state law mandated step increases that they have been getting all along, even while their cost of living increases may have been cut back.
The other thing teachers have been disingenuous about is that in many districts, teachers unions explicitly gave up pay increases to attain better benefits (health, retirement, etc). So yeah, their "pay" went up slowly, but their benefits increased more steeply.Of course, the flip side is that teacher opponents are now complaining about benefits being too high.....without recognizing why they are so high.I have no position on this, other than to say I generally hate public pensions and health retirement benefits, because it is far too easy (and attractive in the short term) for politicians to jack up benefits unsustainably, basically passing the buck on costs to future generations. It's a huge problem. I also dislike a system that incents employees to "lock in" and never leave their job, lest they lose a giant form of future compensation. It encourages stagnant people to remain in a job that they don't really like, and frankly reinforces a "public sector" mentality that I personally find destructive.

The other thing teachers have been disingenuous about is that in many districts, teachers unions explicitly gave up pay increases to attain better benefits (health, retirement, etc). So yeah, their "pay" went up slowly, but their benefits increased more steeply.Of course, the flip side is that teacher opponents are now complaining about benefits being too high.....without recognizing why they are so high.I have no position on this, other than to say I generally hate public pensions and health retirement benefits, because it is far too easy (and attractive in the short term) for politicians to jack up benefits unsustainably, basically passing the buck on costs to future generations. It's a huge problem. I also dislike a system that incents employees to "lock in" and never leave their job, lest they lose a giant form of future compensation. It encourages stagnant people to remain in a job that they don't really like, and frankly reinforces a "public sector" mentality that I personally find destructive.
:goodposting:

The truth about the supposed surpus vs. supposed deficit shouldn't be that crucial to anyone in deciding where they stand here: we all know that state budgets have to be cut anyhow, and severely- the questions are where and how you go about it.

That being said, we're being fed two sets of contradictory facts about this from liberals and conservatives. Somebody is either misinformed or lying and I don't know who.
Not really. I keep hoping that one day you'll be able to do your own research but I'm not holding my breath. You seem to find it much more enjoyable to make comments on things you're totally misinformed about. Anyways, here you go:
Rachel Maddow says Wisconsin is on track to have a budget surplus this year

It has taken hold with conviction: the idea that Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker ginned up a phony budget crisis to justify his bold bid to strip state employees of most bargaining rights and cut their benefits.

A volley of e-mails, blog posts and inquiries to reporters followed a Madison Capital Times editorial on Feb. 16, 2011, that said no state budget deficit exists for 2010-’11 -- or if it does, it’s the fault of Walker and the Republicans in the Legislature.

Liberal MSNBC talk show host Rachel Maddow joined in Feb. 17, accusing Walker of manipulating the situation for political gain.

"Despite what you may have heard about Wisconsin’s finances, the state is on track to have a budget surplus this year," she said. "I am not kidding."

She added a kicker that is also making the rounds: Walker and fellow Republicans in the Legislature this year gave away $140 million in business tax breaks -- so if there is a deficit projected of $137 million, they created it.

Maddow and others making the claim all cite the same source for their information -- a Jan. 31, 2011 memo prepared by Robert Lang, the director of the nonpartisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau.

It includes this line: "Our analysis indicates a general fund gross balance of $121.4 million and a net balance of $56.4 million."

We were curious about claims of a surplus based on the fiscal bureau memo.

In writing it when it was released, reporters from the Journal Sentinel and Associated Press had put the shortfall at between $78 million and $340 million. That’s the projection for the end of the fiscal year, June 30, 2011.

Walker himself has settled on $137 million as the deficit figure, a number reporters have adopted as shorthand.

We re-read the fiscal bureau memo, talked to Lang, consulted reporter Jason Stein of the Journal Sentinel’s Madison Bureau, read various news accounts and examined the issue in detail.

Our conclusion: Maddow and the others are wrong.

There is, indeed, a projected deficit that required attention, and Walker and GOP lawmakers did not create it.

More on that second point in a bit.

The confusion, it appears, stems from a section in Lang’s memo that -- read on its own -- does project a $121 million surplus in the state’s general fund as of June 30, 2011.

But the remainder of the routine memo -- consider it the fine print -- outlines $258 million in unpaid bills or expected shortfalls in programs such as Medicaid services for the needy ($174 million alone), the public defender’s office and corrections. Additionally, the state owes Minnesota $58.7 million under a discontinued tax reciprocity deal.

The result, by our math and Lang’s, is the $137 million shortfall.

It would be closer to the $340 million figure if the figure included the $200 million owed to the state’s patient compensation fund, a debt courts have declared resulted from an illegal raid on the fund under former Gov. Jim Doyle.

A court ruling is pending in that matter, so the money might not have to be transferred until next budget year.

To be sure, the projected shortfall is a modest one by the standards of the last decade, which saw a $600 million repair bill one year as the economy and national tax collections slumped.

But ignoring it would have meant turning away eligible Medicaid clients, which was not an option, Lang said.

This same situation has happened in the past, including during the tenure of Doyle, a Democrat. In January 2005, a fiscal bureau memo showed a similar surplus, but lawmakers approved a major fix of a Medicaid shortfall that would have eaten up that projected surplus.

Reporters who cover the Capitol are used to doing the math to come up with the bottom-line surplus or deficit, but average readers are not. (The Journal Sentinel’s Stein addressed these and other budget questions in a follow-up story.)

So why does Lang write his biennial memo in a way that invites confusion?

Lang, a veteran and respected civil servant working in a nonpartisan job, told us he does not want to presume what legislative or other action will be taken to address the potential shortfalls he lists.

Admittedly, the approach this time created the opportunity for a snappy -- and powerful -- political attack.

But it is an inaccurate one.

Meanwhile, what about Maddow’s claim -- also repeated across the liberal blogosphere -- that Walker’s tax-cut bills approved in January are responsible for the $137 million deficit?

Lang’s fiscal bureau report and news accounts addressed that issue as well.

The tax cuts will cost the state a projected $140 million in tax revenue -- but not until the next two-year budget, from July 2011 to June 2013. The cuts are not even in effect yet, so they cannot be part of the current problem.

Here’s the bottom line:

There is fierce debate over the approach Walker took to address the short-term budget deficit. But there should be no debate on whether or not there is a shortfall. While not historically large, the shortfall in the current budget needed to be addressed in some fashion. Walker’s tax cuts will boost the size of the projected deficit in the next budget, but they’re not part of this problem and did not create it.

We rate Maddow’s take False.
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statem...ave-budget-sur/

I was surprised to see earlier that the CSI types, (forensic experts, lab techs, etc) belong to a public employee union.

Do they have they have a choice, the freedom to choose whether they want to join the union or are they automatically placed in the union and their checks garnished automatically for union dues?

I was surprised to see earlier that the CSI types, (forensic experts, lab techs, etc) belong to a public employee union.Do they have they have a choice, the freedom to choose whether they want to join the union or are they automatically placed in the union and their checks garnished automatically for union dues?
I'm not sure where I read it but my understanding is (and I could be wrong) that they do not have to join the union but either way the union dues are collected by the state. Walker's proposal would eliminate this and the dues would be collected by the union.

Where are you Tim, these hateful protests are exactly what you said the Tea Party was like and that was a lie...Not only were you wrong about the Tea Party but you are a hypocrite to see, accept and make excuses for it from the left...Faux outrage at the right and no outrage to the left when it is obvious that the left is by far the more violent and hateful of the two...This show of hatred will have big consequences in 2012...
Since you and Strike seem to love calling me a hypocrite, let's get a couple things straight:1. I have made several posts in this thread already criticizing the over the top rhetoric of these protesters, and specifically their use of Hitler. It's shameful. I'm getting tired, however of having to repeat myself. If you're so convinced I'm a hypocrite, then it really won't matter to you what I write. 2. What I wrote about the Tea Party was not a lie. In many situations their rhetoric was also extremist and over the top. Their use of Hitler was shameful as well. And many of their views are extremist as well.3. The two groups have more in common than you might suppose. Populism tends to bring out the worst in people. That's why I dislike it so much. When the public is "energized" generally bad things happen. Given the level of hateful rhetoric that Walker is receiving, I sincerely hope he is well protected. 4. But Boneyard Dog, your comments are so entirely predictable. You provide no thoughtful commentary whatsoever. All you ever do around here is come in and act like a cheerleader for whatever the conservative side of the issue is (excluding social issues, that is.) If you have an argument to make, make it. But your contribution is pointless.

Destroying unions or taking away bargaining rights were not on the ballot. Nationally neither were removing healthcare.

Both were about jobs.

Please excuse the caps

n Solidarity

Tracy Fuller, Executive Board President

Feb. 16, 2011

I am going to make an effort to speak for myself, and every member of the Wisconsin State Patrol when I say this.

I VALUE THE CAPITOL POLICE, AND THE U. W. POLICE. I VALUE ALL OF THE POLICE COMMUNICATIONS OFFICERS OF ALL OF THE AGENCIES IN OUR UNION, AND THE STATE TROOPERS, AND THE INSPECTORS OF THE STATE PATROL. I VALUE “ALL” OF THE SUPPORT STAFF OF ALL OF THE AGENCIES AROUND THE STATE. I DON’T KNOW HOW ANY OF US COULD FUNCTION WITHOUT ANY OF US AROUND THE STATE WE ALL NEED EACH OTHER.

I VALUE THE BUREAU OF FIELD SERVICES, FIELD AGENTS OF LOCAL THREE, NO LESS THAN ANY OF THE OTHER MEMBERS IN THE UNION. I AM HERE FOR EVERY MEMBER OF THIS UNION AND ALWAYS THOUGHT I HAD BEEN UNTIL THIS WEEK.

I SPECIFICALLY REGRET THE ENDORSEMENT OF THE WISCONSIN TROOPER’S ASSOCIATION FOR GOVERNOR SCOTT WALKER. I REGRET THE GOVERNOR’S DECISION TO “ENDORSE” THE TROOPERS AND INSPECTORS OF THE WISCONSIN STATE PATROL. I REGRET BEING THE RECIPIENT OF ANY OF THE PERCIEVED BENEFITS PROVIDED BY THE GOVERNOR’S ANNOINTING.

I THINK EVERYONE’S JOB AND CAREER IS JUST AS SIGNIFICANT AS THE OTHERS. EVERYONES FAMILY IS JUST AS VALUABLE AS MINE OR ANY OTHER PERSONS, ESPECIALLY MINE. EVERYONES NEEDS ARE JUST AS VALUABLE. WE ARE ALL GREAT PEOPLE!!

In Wisconsin it is illegal for public workers to go on strike so the teachers that missed school in order to protest could be fired. It is up to each school district on what punishment, if any, will be administered. Teachers missing school would need a note from a doctor. Of course, doctors are standing out excuse slips and handing out fake excuse slips.

WI Doctors hand out fake excuse notes

Fake excuse slip

The truth about the supposed surpus vs. supposed deficit shouldn't be that crucial to anyone in deciding where they stand here: we all know that state budgets have to be cut anyhow, and severely- the questions are where and how you go about it.

That being said, we're being fed two sets of contradictory facts about this from liberals and conservatives. Somebody is either misinformed or lying and I don't know who.
Not really. I keep hoping that one day you'll be able to do your own research but I'm not holding my breath. You seem to find it much more enjoyable to make comments on things you're totally misinformed about. Anyways, here you go:

It has taken hold with conviction: the idea that Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker ginned up a phony budget crisis to justify his bold bid to strip state employees of most bargaining rights and cut their benefits.

A volley of e-mails, blog posts and inquiries to reporters followed a Madison Capital Times editorial on Feb. 16, 2011, that said no state budget deficit exists for 2010-’11 -- or if it does, it’s the fault of Walker and the Republicans in the Legislature.

Liberal MSNBC talk show host Rachel Maddow joined in Feb. 17, accusing Walker of manipulating the situation for political gain.

"Despite what you may have heard about Wisconsin’s finances, the state is on track to have a budget surplus this year," she said. "I am not kidding."

She added a kicker that is also making the rounds: Walker and fellow Republicans in the Legislature this year gave away $140 million in business tax breaks -- so if there is a deficit projected of $137 million, they created it.

Maddow and others making the claim all cite the same source for their information -- a Jan. 31, 2011 memo prepared by Robert Lang, the director of the nonpartisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau.

It includes this line: "Our analysis indicates a general fund gross balance of $121.4 million and a net balance of $56.4 million."

In writing it when it was released, reporters from the Journal Sentinel and Associated Press had put the shortfall at between $78 million and $340 million. That’s the projection for the end of the fiscal year, June 30, 2011.

Walker himself has settled on $137 million as the deficit figure, a number reporters have adopted as shorthand.

We re-read the fiscal bureau memo, talked to Lang, consulted reporter Jason Stein of the Journal Sentinel’s Madison Bureau, read various news accounts and examined the issue in detail.

There is, indeed, a projected deficit that required attention, and Walker and GOP lawmakers did not create it.

The confusion, it appears, stems from a section in Lang’s memo that -- read on its own -- does project a $121 million surplus in the state’s general fund as of June 30, 2011.

But the remainder of the routine memo -- consider it the fine print -- outlines $258 million in unpaid bills or expected shortfalls in programs such as Medicaid services for the needy ($174 million alone), the public defender’s office and corrections. Additionally, the state owes Minnesota $58.7 million under a discontinued tax reciprocity deal.

It would be closer to the $340 million figure if the figure included the $200 million owed to the state’s patient compensation fund, a debt courts have declared resulted from an illegal raid on the fund under former Gov. Jim Doyle.

A court ruling is pending in that matter, so the money might not have to be transferred until next budget year.

To be sure, the projected shortfall is a modest one by the standards of the last decade, which saw a $600 million repair bill one year as the economy and national tax collections slumped.

But ignoring it would have meant turning away eligible Medicaid clients, which was not an option, Lang said.

This same situation has happened in the past, including during the tenure of Doyle, a Democrat. In January 2005, a fiscal bureau memo showed a similar surplus, but lawmakers approved a major fix of a Medicaid shortfall that would have eaten up that projected surplus.

Reporters who cover the Capitol are used to doing the math to come up with the bottom-line surplus or deficit, but average readers are not. (The Journal Sentinel’s Stein addressed these and other budget questions in a follow-up story.)

Lang, a veteran and respected civil servant working in a nonpartisan job, told us he does not want to presume what legislative or other action will be taken to address the potential shortfalls he lists.

Admittedly, the approach this time created the opportunity for a snappy -- and powerful -- political attack.

Meanwhile, what about Maddow’s claim -- also repeated across the liberal blogosphere -- that Walker’s tax-cut bills approved in January are responsible for the $137 million deficit?

The tax cuts will cost the state a projected $140 million in tax revenue -- but not until the next two-year budget, from July 2011 to June 2013. The cuts are not even in effect yet, so they cannot be part of the current problem.

Here’s the bottom line:

There is fierce debate over the approach Walker took to address the short-term budget deficit. But there should be no debate on whether or not there is a shortfall. While not historically large, the shortfall in the current budget needed to be addressed in some fashion. Walker’s tax cuts will boost the size of the projected deficit in the next budget, but they’re not part of this problem and did not create it.

Budget cutting is no longer the issue because at least one union has said they will do that. Walker isn't interested because he thinks he'll win and won't negotiate.

This is now about taking away rights workers have had for about 50 years because that is what the RGA(Gov ###.-the group Fox owner gave $100million to last year) said it wants after the last election.

Wisconsin is just the first state this will be in. This is an effort to stop unions from spending on elections because 7 out of the 10 outside group spenders in the last election were right wing groups.

The other 3 were unions. Without them the National Chamber(much different than local chambers) and other right wing groups will have all the big money themselves.

Also I have seen reports here this year there could be a surplus even with Walker giving over $100 million away in tax cuts, but now this is about bargaining as a group for contracts.

Here’s the bottom line:

Budget cutting is no longer the issue because at least one union has said they will do that. Walker isn't interested because he thinks he'll win and won't negotiate.

This is now about taking away rights workers have had for about 50 years because that is what the RGA(Gov ###.-the group Fox owner gave $100million to last year) said it wants after the last election.

Wisconsin is just the first state this will be in. This is an effort to stop unions from spending on elections because 7 out of the 10 outside group spenders in the last election were right wing groups.

The other 3 were unions. Without them the National Chamber(much different than local chambers) and other right wing groups will have all the big money themselves.

Also I have seen reports here this year there could be a surplus even with Walker giving over $100 million away in tax cuts, but now this is about bargaining as a group for contracts.
Do you know how the public employee union came to be in Wisconsin?Was there a vote and the employees voted themselves a union, or was it done by legislative action?

I have tried to find out the history of it and have been unsuccessful.

IMO the teachers union is a scapegoat for the real problem with public spending on education: the giant bureaucracies that suck up money. The teachers are the ones on the front line providing a really important service. I think the American public and the teachers unions need to sit down and have a rational discussion about how to improve schools. This conversation is impossible because of rhetoric and propaganda on both sides. The real cuts need to be made with the ISDs, State, and Federal Education Department. Those groups make far more money than teachers while providing not serving on the frontline. Consolidation and reduction of those areas is where cutbacks need to be made and money saved. I do think teachers need to make cuts in salary and benefits, however they should retain the right to be able to bargain school policy, basic labor conditions and teacher evaluations.

The local ISD where I work is a big complex with nicer rooms, offices, equipment, and technology than 90% of the schools in the area. They have a great cafeteria with a really wide array of good healthy food. They do some good things: provide and maintain unified systems to tracking paperwork to meet state and National requirements (there are MANY) as well as represent the schools in court proceedings. However much of their research and classes are a waste and teachers only attend them because the state essentially forces them to keep their license. The classes IMO are bad and the people leading the class tend to break every basic rule of good teaching they advocate for. So much fat there, especially in population dense areas.

I was surprised to see earlier that the CSI types, (forensic experts, lab techs, etc) belong to a public employee union.Do they have they have a choice, the freedom to choose whether they want to join the union or are they automatically placed in the union and their checks garnished automatically for union dues?
Who would choose non-union? You are essentially volunteering to be the first person laid off if any cuts ever need to be made.

IMO the teachers union is a scapegoat for the real problem with public spending on education: the giant bureaucracies that suck up money. The teachers are the ones on the front line providing a really important service. I think the American public and the teachers unions need to sit down and have a rational discussion about how to improve schools. This conversation is impossible because of rhetoric and propaganda on both sides. The real cuts need to be made with the ISDs, State, and Federal Education Department. Those groups make far more money than teachers while providing not serving on the frontline. Consolidation and reduction of those areas is where cutbacks need to be made and money saved. I do think teachers need to make cuts in salary and benefits, however they should retain the right to be able to bargain school policy, basic labor conditions and teacher evaluations.The local ISD where I work is a big complex with nicer rooms, offices, equipment, and technology than 90% of the schools in the area. They have a great cafeteria with a really wide array of good healthy food. They do some good things: provide and maintain unified systems to tracking paperwork to meet state and National requirements (there are MANY) as well as represent the schools in court proceedings. However much of their research and classes are a waste and teachers only attend them because the state essentially forces them to keep their license. The classes IMO are bad and the people leading the class tend to break every basic rule of good teaching they advocate for. So much fat there, especially in population dense areas.
Bravo. 100% agree.

IMO the teachers union is a scapegoat for the real problem with public spending on education: the giant bureaucracies that suck up money. The teachers are the ones on the front line providing a really important service. I think the American public and the teachers unions need to sit down and have a rational discussion about how to improve schools. This conversation is impossible because of rhetoric and propaganda on both sides. The real cuts need to be made with the ISDs, State, and Federal Education Department. Those groups make far more money than teachers while providing not serving on the frontline. Consolidation and reduction of those areas is where cutbacks need to be made and money saved. I do think teachers need to make cuts in salary and benefits, however they should retain the right to be able to bargain school policy, basic labor conditions and teacher evaluations.The local ISD where I work is a big complex with nicer rooms, offices, equipment, and technology than 90% of the schools in the area. They have a great cafeteria with a really wide array of good healthy food. They do some good things: provide and maintain unified systems to tracking paperwork to meet state and National requirements (there are MANY) as well as represent the schools in court proceedings. However much of their research and classes are a waste and teachers only attend them because the state essentially forces them to keep their license. The classes IMO are bad and the people leading the class tend to break every basic rule of good teaching they advocate for. So much fat there, especially in population dense areas.
That would be nice, but unions are among the most reactionary institutions we have. I don't see them making much of an effort to truly improve schools. Why should they? Their reason for being is to protect teachers' pay and benefits, not advocate for schoolchildren.

Where are you Tim, these hateful protests are exactly what you said the Tea Party was like and that was a lie...Not only were you wrong about the Tea Party but you are a hypocrite to see, accept and make excuses for it from the left...Faux outrage at the right and no outrage to the left when it is obvious that the left is by far the more violent and hateful of the two...This show of hatred will have big consequences in 2012...
Since you and Strike seem to love calling me a hypocrite, let's get a couple things straight:1. I have made several posts in this thread already criticizing the over the top rhetoric of these protesters, and specifically their use of Hitler. It's shameful. I'm getting tired, however of having to repeat myself. If you're so convinced I'm a hypocrite, then it really won't matter to you what I write. 2. What I wrote about the Tea Party was not a lie. In many situations their rhetoric was also extremist and over the top. Their use of Hitler was shameful as well. And many of their views are extremist as well.3. The two groups have more in common than you might suppose. Populism tends to bring out the worst in people. That's why I dislike it so much. When the public is "energized" generally bad things happen. Given the level of hateful rhetoric that Walker is receiving, I sincerely hope he is well protected. 4. But Boneyard Dog, your comments are so entirely predictable. You provide no thoughtful commentary whatsoever. All you ever do around here is come in and act like a cheerleader for whatever the conservative side of the issue is (excluding social issues, that is.) If you have an argument to make, make it. But your contribution is pointless.
Yes what you did write about the Tea Party is a lie, they are peaceful and the exact opposite of the union members protesting in Wisconsin... You probably think they are racist also... Please provide links or examples where they are anywhere close to the same kind of protest going on presently... I come in here and point out the half truths and lies thrown around by the other side and show them for the hypocrites they are and continue to be... I will even give you point 1 but 2 and 3 are totally incorrect... 4 is your opinion so you can have that also...You do remember when Giffords was shot and everyone, including yourself blamed Fox News etc. etc. and you were proven wrong then...Now over the past few days the left is doing exactly what the right was accused of and all you hear are crickets from the MSM, obama, and liberal congressmen and senators... Links have been provided above, have you even linked to any of them...The hypocrisy is so thick and obvious you could cut it with a knife... The left is exactly what they falsely accuse the Tea Party to be...

FWIW, the United Teachers of Dade (Miami), which represents the fourth largest district in the country, is encouraging members to wear black ribbons this Tuesday in support of the union in Wisconsin to show solidarity. At least it will make the students aware that something important is happening outside their bubble.

Here’s the bottom line:

Do you know how the public employee union came to be in Wisconsin?Was there a vote and the employees voted themselves a union, or was it done by legislative action?

I have tried to find out the history of it and have been unsuccessful.
According to Marty Beil, head of the Wisconsin State Employees Union."We are prepared to implement the financial concessions proposed to help bring our state's budget into balance, but we will not be denied our God-given right to join a real union... we will not - I repeat we will not - be denied our rights to collectively bargain."

:shrug:

That would be nice, but unions are among the most reactionary institutions we have. I don't see them making much of an effort to truly improve schools. Why should they? Their reason for being is to protect teachers' pay and benefits, not advocate for schoolchildren.
We can't look at it as us vs. them. We are all Americans. The two sides have different interests, but in good faith should be able to find fair compromises on all ends. I don't think unions or political leadership are talking in good faith at all. All sides are guilty from unions to administrators to school boards, legislators and voters themselves. It is time to drop all the BS and talk about reality on all sides in a civil manner. That means not cramming things through, not blindsiding each other, not abusing work sick policies, not shutting down schools, not making broad judgments and generally acting with a sense of respect towards each other. Everyday I wonder more and more WTF is wrong with people?

God given right? Really.

What is actually funny here is the push that is going on to make union votes not secret so that everyone who votes is forced to do so in the open. Secret Ballot Elections and Card Check Schemes. Kind of going from one extreme to the other.

I think that unions are very dishonest, ultimately cost jobs and outsourcing and I think most of America agrees with me.

IMO the teachers union is a scapegoat for the real problem with public spending on education: the giant bureaucracies that suck up money. The teachers are the ones on the front line providing a really important service. I think the American public and the teachers unions need to sit down and have a rational discussion about how to improve schools. This conversation is impossible because of rhetoric and propaganda on both sides. The real cuts need to be made with the ISDs, State, and Federal Education Department. Those groups make far more money than teachers while providing not serving on the frontline. Consolidation and reduction of those areas is where cutbacks need to be made and money saved. I do think teachers need to make cuts in salary and benefits, however they should retain the right to be able to bargain school policy, basic labor conditions and teacher evaluations.

The local ISD where I work is a big complex with nicer rooms, offices, equipment, and technology than 90% of the schools in the area. They have a great cafeteria with a really wide array of good healthy food. They do some good things: provide and maintain unified systems to tracking paperwork to meet state and National requirements (there are MANY) as well as represent the schools in court proceedings. However much of their research and classes are a waste and teachers only attend them because the state essentially forces them to keep their license. The classes IMO are bad and the people leading the class tend to break every basic rule of good teaching they advocate for. So much fat there, especially in population dense areas.
We can't look at it as us vs. them. We are all Americans. The two sides have different interests, but in good faith should be able to find fair compromises on all ends. I don't think unions or political leadership are talking in good faith at all. All sides are guilty from unions to administrators to school boards, legislators and voters themselves. It is time to drop all the BS and talk about reality on all sides in a civil manner. That means not cramming things through, not blindsiding each other, not abusing work sick policies, not shutting down schools, not making broad judgments and generally acting with a sense of respect towards each other. Everyday I wonder more and more WTF is wrong with people?
Really? At this point, nothing surprises me. Go read some Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky. People have been petty, selfish and motivated primarily by fear basically throughout history.

Really? At this point, nothing surprises me. Go read some Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky. People have been petty, selfish and motivated primarily by fear basically throughout history.
Yeah, but I would like to think progress has been made. It isn't the selfishness that gets me, I get that. It is borderline dogmatic approach to complex multi-faceted issues.

Walker to appear on Good Morning America and MSNBC

Walker to appear on 'Good Morning America,' MSNBC

By Don Walker of the Journal Sentinel

Updated: Feb. 20, 2011 1:55 p.m. |(77) Comments

ABC News reports this afternoon that Gov. Scott Walker will appear on "Good Morning America" on Monday.

Walker will be interviewed by George Stephanopoulos.

Walker also is scheduled to be on MSNBC's "The Daily Rundown," on Monday.

You do remember when Giffords was shot and everyone, including yourself blamed Fox News etc. etc. and you were proven wrong then...Now over the past few days the left is doing exactly what the right was accused of and all you hear are crickets from the MSM, obama, and liberal congressmen and senators... Links have been provided above, have you even linked to any of them...The hypocrisy is so thick and obvious you could cut it with a knife... The left is exactly what they falsely accuse the Tea Party to be...
Um, no I did not. It would be nice if you would read my posts rather than simply make assumptions about them.

"Shut up!" Union thug arrested for ripping wires from Tea Party counter-protest soundboard.

I blame Sarah Palin.

It's such a sad conclusion, but I doubt that we get through this over the next couple decades without secession.

The stakes are so high, and the opinions/mindsets are so different.

Do the Democrats really think that the majority of the people in the state back them? Anti union sentiment is he highest that it has been in years in this country. I would like to see a recall election of the governor, lets see how the people still feel about things. I think he would win by an even larger margin now.

Do the Democrats really think that the majority of the people in the state back them? Anti union sentiment is he highest that it has been in years in this country. I would like to see a recall election of the governor, lets see how the people still feel about things. I think he would win by an even larger margin now.
As it happens, I agree with you on this. But I would like to see how the polls look anyhow about this issue, both in Wisconsin and around the country. The reason is that it will have a great effect in predicting what will happen both in this state and in other states in the future. However, when I raised this issue earlier in the thread, your snarky reply was:You had your poll back in November, this is weak even for you

I'm glad you've apparently changed your mind about this.

Mr Two Cents said:
I agree with you. The general feeling you get is that most are for Walker. The shenanigans that the unions are pulling do not help there cause -- bringing in protesters from out of state, democratic senators going AWOL, teachers not showing up for work, doctors writing out fake excuses . . .

Ilov80s said:
It just makes me wonder why this is such an explosive situation. It seems like some parties are either greatly overreacting or are being far too politically aggressive. In Michigan, all public employees took a 5% pay cut and are now paying atleast 10% of their own insurance costs + a 3% "tax" to pay for retirees health care. In addition, 10k public jobs have been cut over the last few years. All this was done in a much more amicable way than the seemingly more modest changes we are seeing in Wisconsin. Considering Michigan is considered the king of the union states, it surprises me it went so peacefully compared to Wisconsin.
No, we didn't take a 5 percent paycut in Michigan. That is a bill that has been proposed along with the collective bargaining thing you're seeing in Wisconsin. R Govenor Rick Snyder is attempting to make some major cuts in education and public and private pensions. There will be some huge fights the next several years in Michigan.I know things are tough for people but what's going on in these states, these newly elected officials are turning the people against each other. Public employees should have to give in some, pay for part of their health care and maybe take a pay freeze for a few years until things turn around. But people need to realize that these politicians have a personal agenda, they always do. It would be refreshing to see some Republicans call these guys out rather than to blindly go along with "crush unions" because that's what a good republican would do.I do not like what's going on in Wisconsin. It's scary to think what a government can do on a whim.How much money have we spent on being over in the Middle East? How much money do we spend on taking pictures of Pluto or figuring out how many gases are in the rings of Saturn while we have homeless and hungry right here in the US?So according to these governors teachers are the problem? The people that dedicate their lives to teach our children on a daily basis?The last speech Obama made in front of the nation he said if you want to help your country, be a teacher. Obama should be a little more vocal and influential if he truly meant that.

Users who are viewing this thread