What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Personal Finance Advice and Education! (3 Viewers)

My kids were gifted some money, $5k each, and I'd like to invest it in something other than a bank. I'll try add to it each year, but not much as I'm already doing other things. What type of investment should I utilize? Been thinking of doing VFINX. My kids thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Definitely need to do more reading on this. That link mentions that index funds (like the Vanguard S&P one mentioned) will have lower turnover but seemingly could still be subject to this. Any other links you can pass along explaining more or how often that hits index funds?
You can get turnover rates for ETFs just like funds. This one, MOO, is probably on the higher side, but shows 33%, so check all individually.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=moo&ql=1
Appreciate it. A bit confused on something, but maybe I'm just not thinking about this correctly...

I'm on Vanguard's site. The 1-year and 3-year returns before taxes for VOO (S&P 500 ETF) are 13.64% and 20.37%, respectively. Those same returns "after taxes on distributions" are 13.12% and 19.87%.

The Vanguard Admiral Shares index fund (VFIAX) has 1-year and 3-year pre-tax returns of 13.64% and 20.37%, respectively. After taxes on distributions...13.12% and 19.86%.

So off by a 1 bp on the 3 year, but otherwise the same. Is this just unique to the type of ETF/index fund or am I having a "Josh Baskin during the robot building" moment?

GM, that is about as biased as you can get...

Another way to look at your arguments

1. Significant interest payments to the bank, likely more than your current rent, of which you get about 30% back via tax savings
2. Historically low interest rates driving (propping) housing prices up
3. Rental rates at an all time high, since the buy-rent ratio tends to be fairly stable and with housing prices climbing rental prices must rise to keep pace
4. Home prices are up 20% y-y in many areas, with many worried about a mini-bubble ongoing. Unfortunately the time to get a reasonable deal was a couple years ago. Luckily prices will flatten or drop once interest rates rise
5. You will no longer spend your weekends having fun, but instead mowing lawn / fixing #### / watching youtubes on how to lay tile
6. You might even get to be a landlord, nothing like your tenant calling you cuz his toilet is overflowing! Or you can hire a management company so that your profits go from marginal to negative
7. There is a real psychological pride of ownership, much of which is driven by advertising from realtors. If you tell people you own a house they go 'that is great for you, you must be doing well!' even though it doesn't change you or your situation one bit.
8. You get to make it yours, that part is real

----
This is coming from a recent homeowner in September... I have no regrets but buying a home when I was single would have been a mistake
Talk about stupid reasoning....

You're still wearing your tin foil hat proudly, I see.

My kids were gifted some money, $5k each, and I'd like to invest it in something other than a bank. I'll try add to it each year, but not much as I'm already doing other things. What type of investment should I utilize? Been thinking of doing VFINX. My kids thank you in advance.
Do you value any international exposure? Any bond exposure? Any small-mid cap? VFINX has none of those

If you want a comprehensive world stock fund - i've always thought the VT ETF from vanguard was great.. it owns nearly 6000 companies internationally... split like 66 US/33 world

If you want a comprehensive strategy with no world exposure - VTI from Vanguard at least is a total US fund and not just the top 500 companies

If you want some bonds and stocks, look at something like VUG from Vanguard which is just a growth 80/20 stock/bond fund.

I think any of these can be set it and forget it depending on your children's age... are you using UGMA/UTMA accounts for these?

I think that's a big driver, whilst agreeing with all of your other points.
It's a savings/retirement account balance in the form of a building which you own, that people can see and where you live vs. an account balance in a retirement account or other savings account that you can only see online. It's not "sexy," or something people can show off to their friends or host parties in.

If it's the visual that gets people, I would bet less people would go buy vs. rent if you put next to the home they're thinking about buying a pallet stacked with all of their current savings in $20's. Add a compounded 7-8% of that cash onto the pallet - next to the house - 30 times. Now sure, homes can appreciate too. If you said, "Which would you choose if you could only have one?" I'd be interested to see that.
This seems like a bad analogy to me. Where are you getting this pallet of money from?
20% downpayment (to avoid PMI). I'm more looking at this glass half empty, or people that might be getting in over their heads just to have a home, to have a home. Not JB's situation, which is not like that it seems. Moreso following up on wilked's reply that it's not 0% downside risk in buying a house.
Of course there isn't 0% downside risk in buying a house, and people shouldn't get in over their heads just to have a home, but I'm still not following the analogy. It generally isn't any cheaper to rent vs. buy an equivalent property, even factoring in the down payment, so the buy vs. rent and have a pallet of cash doesn't really make sense.

It's a savings/retirement account balance in the form of a building which you own, that people can see and where you live vs. an account balance in a retirement account or other savings account that you can only see online. It's not "sexy," or something people can show off to their friends or host parties in.

If it's the visual that gets people, I would bet less people would go buy vs. rent if you put next to the home they're thinking about buying a pallet stacked with all of their current savings in $20's. Add a compounded 7-8% of that cash onto the pallet - next to the house - 30 times. Now sure, homes can appreciate too. If you said, "Which would you choose if you could only have one?" I'd be interested to see that.
This seems like a bad analogy to me. Where are you getting this pallet of money from?
20% downpayment (to avoid PMI). I'm more looking at this glass half empty, or people that might be getting in over their heads just to have a home, to have a home. Not JB's situation, which is not like that it seems. Moreso following up on wilked's reply that it's not 0% downside risk in buying a house.
Of course there isn't 0% downside risk in buying a house, and people shouldn't get in over their heads just to have a home, but I'm still not following the analogy. It generally isn't any cheaper to rent vs. buy an equivalent property, even factoring in the down payment, so the buy vs. rent and have a pallet of cash doesn't really make sense.
I'm looking at it from the perspective of wiping out all savings to make the downpayment and getting in over one's head with mortgage payments and property maintenance, utilities, etc. that might not have been foreseen. General perception being one can be viewed as more successful owning the house and having it on display, at the exception of foregoing the home purchase, paying affordable rent, and letting the downpayment stay in the market and grow.

I'll admit it was a bad analogy, but where I was trying to go with it was avoiding buying a house "just because it's so cool to own a house" if it's at the expense of your savings (e.g., no emergency fund, retirement, etc. just to get the shiny house). Get the house when that 20% down in cash is sitting alongside some retirement savings, too.

What kind of cheapskates only gift 5k these days?

I don't think I ever indicated that there was ZERO risk involved either.

People have been predicting rising interest rates for years now. What have they done?

Now, I'm personally biased. I've been a homeowner since 2001. I just bought my second house two doors down from where I live. So I'm obviously pro homeownership. Those pooh-poohing it, I'm curious: How long have you owned a home and how many homes have you owned? Did you get burned? Because some of the negative sentiment on ownership doesn't sound very sophisticated nor birthed in any sort of first hand experience.

I bought a house in 2001 for $185,000. I've paid the note down significantly and refinanced to take advantage of low rates. My mortgage with taxes and insurance is $1,110 per month. Today, I could rent my house for $2100 in a desired neighborhood. Even if I employ a management company at 10%, I'm coming out way ahead. I can also list my house today for $325,000. Wife and I are debating on whether or not we want to sell and capture the equity or have another person pay off our mortgage and have a house worth potentially $400-500K in 15-20 years (I live in an area of the country that is experiencing high population growth).

Had I listened to the pro-renters in 2001 when mortgage rates were at an alarming 7-8% (which was actually not bad compared to what my parents paid in the 80s), I would not have the glorious opportunity I have in front of me now.

Obviously, perspective is birthed by experience and mine is going to differ from others. IMO, Bender should find a condo/small house that he can add some sweat equity too (they guy has free time; he can learn about home projects on his own if he wants or contract out), take advantage of historically low interest rates (ZOMG THEY ARE GOING HIGHER NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!!!!!!!!!! yeah, no they aren't) and if he moves, rent his place out for a premium, rinse and repeat. Guy will retire early and have a nest egg that not only pays him to go to Russia, but pays for hot hookers 3 at a time.

Do you value any international exposure? Any bond exposure? Any small-mid cap? VFINX has none of those

If you want a comprehensive world stock fund - i've always thought the VT ETF from vanguard was great.. it owns nearly 6000 companies internationally... split like 66 US/33 world

If you want a comprehensive strategy with no world exposure - VTI from Vanguard at least is a total US fund and not just the top 500 companies

If you want some bonds and stocks, look at something like VUG from Vanguard which is just a growth 80/20 stock/bond fund.

I think any of these can be set it and forget it depending on your children's age... are you using UGMA/UTMA accounts for these?
Their other investments are 529 plans. Children are 6, and two twins 5 months old.

I wasn't sure what I would use as the gifts were cash.

Those pooh-poohing it, I'm curious: How long have you owned a home and how many homes have you owned? Did you get burned? Because some of the negative sentiment on ownership doesn't sound very sophisticated nor birthed in any sort of first hand experience.
I'm mostly a pooh-pooher and I'm sure it's at least partially due to my experiences. Bought a house in 2003, sold it in 2008 when my family moved to a different city for work. House hadn't appreciated at all, and it spent four months on the market unoccupied before it sold. Buying was definitely the wrong choice for us in hindsight.

We've rented ever since. Not sure if I'll ever own another home.

Those pooh-poohing it, I'm curious: How long have you owned a home and how many homes have you owned? Did you get burned? Because some of the negative sentiment on ownership doesn't sound very sophisticated nor birthed in any sort of first hand experience.
I'm mostly a pooh-pooher and I'm sure it's at least partially due to my experiences. Bought a house in 2003, sold it in 2008 when my family moved to a different city for work. House hadn't appreciated at all, and it spent four months on the market unoccupied before it sold. Buying was definitely the wrong choice for us in hindsight.

And you've likely spent north of 80K renting in the past 7 years.

Closer to twice that much I think.

Closer to twice that much I think.
Jesus. How much did you lose on your last home to make you this bitter toward homeownership?

I don't think I ever indicated that there was ZERO risk involved either.

People have been predicting rising interest rates for years now. What have they done?

Now, I'm personally biased. I've been a homeowner since 2001. I just bought my second house two doors down from where I live. So I'm obviously pro homeownership. Those pooh-poohing it, I'm curious: How long have you owned a home and how many homes have you owned? Did you get burned? Because some of the negative sentiment on ownership doesn't sound very sophisticated nor birthed in any sort of first hand experience.

I bought a house in 2001 for $185,000. I've paid the note down significantly and refinanced to take advantage of low rates. My mortgage with taxes and insurance is $1,110 per month. Today, I could rent my house for $2100 in a desired neighborhood. Even if I employ a management company at 10%, I'm coming out way ahead. I can also list my house today for $325,000. Wife and I are debating on whether or not we want to sell and capture the equity or have another person pay off our mortgage and have a house worth potentially $400-500K in 15-20 years (I live in an area of the country that is experiencing high population growth).

Had I listened to the pro-renters in 2001 when mortgage rates were at an alarming 7-8% (which was actually not bad compared to what my parents paid in the 80s), I would not have the glorious opportunity I have in front of me now.

Obviously, perspective is birthed by experience and mine is going to differ from others. IMO, Bender should find a condo/small house that he can add some sweat equity too (they guy has free time; he can learn about home projects on his own if he wants or contract out), take advantage of historically low interest rates (ZOMG THEY ARE GOING HIGHER NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!!!!!!!!!! yeah, no they aren't) and if he moves, rent his place out for a premium, rinse and repeat. Guy will retire early and have a nest egg that not only pays him to go to Russia, but pays for hot hookers 3 at a time.
GM - I don't think anyone was pooh-poohing home ownership in general....we were commenting specifically to Bender's situation...and that's what prompted my original question.

Man this is some good stuff. And, everyone has a different opinion for sure - that's why these things can be tough to digest and figure out some times.

Does the fact that I'm putting 20% help my position here relative to not getting under water at some point? Some of you might be surprised about how many folks I know still not putting 20% on the purchase of their first home and paying PMI.

I sort of look at the 20% as a bit of a safety net for me and that I'll immediately get "some" equity into the home and, even if I have to sell in 5 years time, I'll owe 270,000 on a 350,000 home (at least if 350k was my purchase price)

Put it this way...with 20% a lot can still go wrong, but is my nose less open to the bleeding from Day 1 as opposed to thousands of others purchasing their first home with 5 or 10% down?

If home prices fall when I need to sell, I've got way more cushion than the same person doing the same as I but putting down 10%, right?

I've paid 77,000 dollars in rent over the past 4 years since moving to Philadelphia burbs. :loco:

ETA: Again - yes I'm completely ignorant and a moron with this stuff. If my questions sound sophomoric, or written like I'm 12 years old it's because they probably are to the trained eye. I'm good at stuff I'm good at, but I don't know jacksquat about these things.

I also was not at all under the impression that he was wiping out 100% of his savings to put 20% down.

He can put 3.5% down too and get a home. PMI isn't the great boogity man some of you are making it out to be.

Jesus. How much did you lose on your last home to make you this bitter toward homeownership?
We didn't lose that much. The price we sold it for and the price we bought it for were almost identical. Our losses were from brokers and lawyers and stuff on the two transactions, paying a mortgage for four months on a house we weren't using, and the relatively modest renovations we made to the house.I wouldn't say I'm bitter at all. Homeownership just isn't for me.

I made a mistake, but am learning from it. So no, not a pooh-pooher as I would buy in the future. I've owned a condo since May 2008, which is ~30% under water today, just about 7 years and a re-fi later. It wasn't a fortune so if it's a hard lesson, that's fine. I'm renting it out for way more than I could comparatively get in a sale, so it hasn't hindered me. I've hammered retirement, emergency and taxable accounts since, and I'm glad I did. Sure, the market is up, but even if it wasn't, I'd rather have my long-term basis in the market getting established now while I'm still relatively young.

I would buy in the future, but the 20%+ has to be there in cash, and I need to basically plan to retire there to pull the trigger.

Ok, true if you move every five years you will get eaten alive by realtors. But could all of that added up to the amount you are guaranteed to "lose" in rent?

Yeah, you got screwed. I also don't live on the east coast, so really, you can safely ignore everything I say.

But I'll go to my grave saying that real estate/home ownership is absolutely a great piece of your overall investment strategy. But that strategy needs to be done correctly, just like investing in stocks or bonds. You can get burned everywhere, save for leaving it in a bank, which I would never advise anybody to do in this environment. How long before we pay negative interest rates on a savings account here? They're doing it in Sweden....

I also was not at all under the impression that he was wiping out 100% of his savings to put 20% down.

He can put 3.5% down too and get a home. PMI isn't the great boogity man some of you are making it out to be.
About 70% of my savings account.

That's without touching the stocks/investments that I have right now that are 2 years worth of salary and can be withdrawn at any time (with appropriate taxes paid, etc).

I'm in a bit of a balancing act every year with withdrawal of these stocks that were granted to me without going into the next tax bracket. Being that I'm heavily bonus based (about 140% of my salary base), it's almost impossible to predict how much I can withdraw and keep at the same tax percentile. First world problems, I know. I have a new accountant who has discussed the strategy of just putting my entire last 2 months worth of paychecks into my 401K directly if I get close to the threshold again this year.

Yeah, you got screwed. I also don't live on the east coast, so really, you can safely ignore everything I say.

But I'll go to my grave saying that real estate/home ownership is absolutely a great piece of your overall investment strategy. But that strategy needs to be done correctly, just like investing in stocks or bonds. You can get burned everywhere, save for leaving it in a bank, which I would never advise anybody to do in this environment. How long before we pay negative interest rates on a savings account here? They're doing it in Sweden....
It's brutal out here for what you can get for your money.

If I want to live anywhere close to a city, I'm looking at 100k more (at least) what I'd be paying just an hour outside in rural PA. If I want to buy in a great school district for resale value you can add another 50K on top of that. I can give up the city life, but I need to be relatively close to the city should I ever lose my job entirely and want to be able to search for a new job in or around a big city. Looking ahead, were I to be laid off and living 2 hours outside of a city, in my line of work, I'd essentially be up ####'s Creek for job prospects without access to the city itself.

I am a big fan of owning a home. In Bender's case it seems like a waste of time since he plans on moving in the near future.

I am a big fan of owning a home. In Bender's case it seems like a waste of time since he plans on moving in the near future.
I don't plan on moving. I just would like to be more mobile should the opportunity present itself (and it likely will eventually).

Maybe it's all the same in that case, really.

Ok, true if you move every five years you will get eaten alive by realtors. But could all of that added up to the amount you are guaranteed to "lose" in rent?
Aren't you the guy who lives in a town where you can buy nice houses for $50,000?
Yes, but I never paid that much for a rental.
Yeah, I just don't know if we can really see eye to eye here. The numbers are just too different. I'm guessing if I lived where you do we would have bought.

Aren't you the guy who lives in a town where you can buy nice houses for $50,000?
Yeah, I just don't know if we can really see eye to eye here. The numbers are just too different. I'm guessing if I lived where you do we would have bought.
I would love to live in DC, but I'm not paying double what I pay out here in Annapolis for half the house. Lots of variables go into home ownership, but I dismiss the perception it is the American dream or some kind of wonderful experience. It's neither, and it also ties me down too much which I hate. I have moved 11 times since I was 18, it seems almost weird to not move after three years in the same place.

True. But the principals still remain the same. Its generally better to rent if the purchase price is more than 100x rent. So if you are renting a $200K house for more than $2K/mo, you would be better off buying. Again, this is just a very broad guideline. I know for my local, I would never rent houses for 1% of the purchase price. We get closer to 5%.

Man this is some good stuff. And, everyone has a different opinion for sure - that's why these things can be tough to digest and figure out some times.

Does the fact that I'm putting 20% help my position here relative to not getting under water at some point? Some of you might be surprised about how many folks I know still not putting 20% on the purchase of their first home and paying PMI.

I sort of look at the 20% as a bit of a safety net for me and that I'll immediately get "some" equity into the home and, even if I have to sell in 5 years time, I'll owe 270,000 on a 350,000 home (at least if 350k was my purchase price)

Put it this way...with 20% a lot can still go wrong, but is my nose less open to the bleeding from Day 1 as opposed to thousands of others purchasing their first home with 5 or 10% down?

If home prices fall when I need to sell, I've got way more cushion than the same person doing the same as I but putting down 10%, right?

I've paid 77,000 dollars in rent over the past 4 years since moving to Philadelphia burbs. :loco:

ETA: Again - yes I'm completely ignorant and a moron with this stuff. If my questions sound sophomoric, or written like I'm 12 years old it's because they probably are to the trained eye. I'm good at stuff I'm good at, but I don't know jacksquat about these things.
Given the situation you laid out, I would be putting down 20% to buy. You're correct in the assumption that the more you put down does get buy you more safety.

Re the 77,000 in rent comment...remember, that doesn't translate 1:1 into $77k that could have gone into equity. Assuming a 30 year mortgage on a $500k house (and putting 20% down), you're still going to pay about $60k in interest over the first 4 years.

I would love to live in DC, but I'm not paying double what I pay out here in Annapolis for half the house. Lots of variables go into home ownership, but I dismiss the perception it is the American dream or some kind of wonderful experience. It's neither, and it also ties me down too much which I hate. I have moved 11 times since I was 18, it seems almost weird to not move after three years in the same place.
This is why we are GBs, IMO, omg :hifive:

True. But the principals still remain the same. Its generally better to rent if the purchase price is more than 100x rent. So if you are renting a $200K house for more than $2K/mo, you would be better off buying. Again, this is just a very broad guideline. I know for my local, I would never rent houses for 1% of the purchase price. We get closer to 5%.
According to Zillow's estimate of the value of the house I live in (I know, not that accurate but it's all I have), our rent is about .3% of the purchase price.

According to Zillow's estimate of the value of the house I live in (I know, not that accurate but it's all I have), our rent is about .3% of the purchase price.
So you're living in a $500K house for $1500/mo? I would rent as well. Or move.

I wouldn't buy in your case unless you're looking at it as an actual investment: as a future rental/income property.

Our rent is $2188 a month. Zillow claims the house is worth $644K. :shrug: Those are the prices around here. Our house is tiny and old, it's the location that makes it cost that amount.
I dont want to take this thread too far off topic, but do incomes support that?
I haven't done any sort of analysis, but yeah, it's a pretty wealthy area.

Doctor Detroit said:
John Bender said:
Doctor Detroit said:
fatguyinalittlecoat said:
Random said:
Random said:
I wouldn't buy in your case unless you're looking at it as an actual investment: as a future rental/income property.
You're just worried I'm gonna ask you to help me to move.

I would if there was beer involved. I'm pretty cheap manual labor, and I've always excelled in moving objects from one place to the other.

RUSF18 said:
Appreciate it. A bit confused on something, but maybe I'm just not thinking about this correctly...

You can get turnover rates for ETFs just like funds. This one, MOO, is probably on the higher side, but shows 33%, so check all individually.

I'm on Vanguard's site. The 1-year and 3-year returns before taxes for VOO (S&P 500 ETF) are 13.64% and 20.37%, respectively. Those same returns "after taxes on distributions" are 13.12% and 19.87%.

The Vanguard Admiral Shares index fund (VFIAX) has 1-year and 3-year pre-tax returns of 13.64% and 20.37%, respectively. After taxes on distributions...13.12% and 19.86%.

So off by a 1 bp on the 3 year, but otherwise the same. Is this just unique to the type of ETF/index fund or am I having a "Josh Baskin during the robot building" moment?
I was just thinking of tax liability generated by portfolio turnover. If there are other differences, hopefully Sand or someone else can comment. VOO and VFIAX are based off the same index, so turnover would be the same.

Random said:
Random said:
Our rent is $2188 a month. Zillow claims the house is worth $644K. :shrug: Those are the prices around here. Our house is tiny and old, it's the location that makes it cost that amount.
That ratio is probably any "nice" suburb in the northeast. Most rentals in my area look like they are around 0.5%. 5% seems crazy to me.

Random said:
Random said:
That ratio is probably any "nice" suburb in the northeast. Most rentals in my area look like they are around 0.5%. 5% seems crazy to me.
:goodposting:

5%? Jesus. So rent in a $300k house is $15k per month? I'm missing something.

dang, some of your guys' rent is huge. We live in a market saturated with homes for sale yet pay around 0.5% ($1500 on a $300k home). Of course, that could be why nothing sells here.

Random said:
Random said:

yeah, that makes no sense whatsoever. think he forgot to carry the 1.

RUSF18 said:

I was just thinking of tax liability generated by portfolio turnover. If there are other differences, hopefully Sand or someone else can comment. VOO and VFIAX are based off the same index, so turnover would be the same.
The way I understand things with ETFs they are allowed to perform stock swaps which don't trigger a sale, so no capital gains. Mutual funds do buy and sell, so there are capital gains distributions which will hit in a taxable account (in an IRA it doesn't matter). So ETFs tend to be a bit more tax efficient. Note that some funds are low turnover and some are shockingly high.

If I bought a Vanguard fund and the corresponding ETF in a sheltered account I'd expect they would be damn near identical in performance. It really just comes down to tax efficiency - that's all I was getting at.

Tiger Fan said:
John Bender said:

Given the situation you laid out, I would be putting down 20% to buy. You're correct in the assumption that the more you put down does get buy you more safety.

Re the 77,000 in rent comment...remember, that doesn't translate 1:1 into $77k that could have gone into equity. Assuming a 30 year mortgage on a $500k house (and putting 20% down), you're still going to pay about $60k in interest over the first 4 years.
You also get to write off the interest...

RUSF18 said:
So "better" depends on what you're looking for...some global diversification that also comes with a bit of hedging through the bonds included or a much lower fee paid while still having the growth potential of US stocks.

I'd go for the Vanguard. While the Fidelity fund isn't what would be considered expensive, that's a LOT of money you're saving over the years.
Was sort of contemplating putting half in one and half in the other. And just let em go and go and go

Random said:
Random said:

yeah, that makes no sense whatsoever. think he forgot to carry the 1.
We get about $700/mo for houses we buy for $10-$20K. I don't think there's any such thing as a $300K rental around here.

Users who are viewing this thread