What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (1 Viewer)

Addai's Adidas

Footballguy
We are cheap and poor, not your typical FBG.

We've finally done it. 2 months ago we turned off our TV cable service, got an indoor OTA antenna, and used our Wii for Netflix, which we had been using for sometime. Then got a Roku (HD version much better than Wii) for another TV in the house. Got the cable bill the next month and the phone portion was still $62 a month including taxes.

So I went out and got the MajicJack at BestBuy last week. Had to tweak my host PC a bit to get it to run well all the time. It worked great, but the one place (so far) that couldn't call my new number was every phone from work. I had to contact the phone carrier that my work uses because they did not have the new prefix working. I think what happens is YMAX (MajicJack)has some prefixes in area codes and they do no get setup in certain telecom's exchanges, for whatever reason.

So that's over $100 a month saved, and really more over time because they are always upping the charges (and taxes). Now that I no longer use phone or cable, I can shop internet service. Looks like I can get that for $20/month for 8Mbps, which is $10 a month cheaper that we are paying now.

I know the MajicJack seems a little chintzy, but it works! Plus we still have our work cell phones.

Who else?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to do this. The big thing holding me back is sports programming. I watch more sports than any human being really should, and ESPN3's picture quality sucks the big one. Plus I'm not sure how I'd get the cable-only games of my local teams, because the NHL and MLB packages available on Roku black out the local games, and I don't even think they have an NBA package yet.

I would love to do this. The big thing holding me back is sports programming. I watch more sports than any human being really should, and ESPN3's picture quality sucks the big one. Plus I'm not sure how I'd get the cable-only games of my local teams, because the NHL and MLB packages available on Roku black out the local games, and I don't even think they have an NBA package yet.
Agreed. ESPN is the one channel I would pay for ala carte if I could without the huge cable bill that come with it. But really, how many times do you watch ESPN an say " This is ####. I can't stand Mariotti. Turn it off!".All I really watch is football games, and most of them are on OTA broadcasts. It means I miss one NFl game a week. Did I mention how much better the games look OTA without all the compression that cable companies use?

Agreed. ESPN is the one channel I would pay for ala carte if I could without the huge cable bill that come with it. But really, how many times do you watch ESPN an say " This is ####. I can't stand Mariotti. Turn it off!".All I really watch is football games, and most of them are on OTA broadcasts. It means I miss one NFl game a week. Did I mention how much better the games look OTA without all the compression that cable companies use?
For me, I'm a big college basketball fan and I watch the local teams in all four sports. So I just can't part with ESPN's college basketball and the Comcast/Fox Sports and baseball-team owned networks that air like 300+ games a year that I can't get anywhere else. Until there's way to get those games without cable, I'm screwed.But I don't understand why 95% of people don't do what you're doing. Even if you like to watch first-run programming, it's available a la carte from Amazon On Demand pretty much as soon as it airs, and much of it is available for free (after $8 a month subscription) at Hulu Plus. I honestly think most people just don't know how easy and cheap it is. I remember the first week or so after we plugging in our Roku, my wife and I were amazed that there's not one in every household in the country.

Where on earth can you get 8mb/s internet for $20 a month? I pay like $45 after taxes/surcharges for Windstream DSL. Which clocks in at an amazing 1.2down/0.3up.

I foresee cable companies simply dropping the cost of phone & tv and increasing the price of internet. Is it going to that easy for them, or are all of the network contracts too costly/complicated?

Where on earth can you get 8mb/s internet for $20 a month? I pay like $45 after taxes/surcharges for Windstream DSL. Which clocks in at an amazing 1.2down/0.3up.
Charter. Do you rent the modem? I've owned mine for 7 years or so ( time to upgrade). They called and asked why we turned off our cable. I told them, quite honestly, the price. They asked what they would have to do to get my business back, and since they couldn't give it to me for the price I wanted they just said sorry. I then told them I'll probably be canceling my phone too cause the $50 charge plus the $12 in taxes every month was too high for as much as we used it. I asked them about getting just the internet service and he said $20/month for 2 years, 8Mbps, which is 2MBPS faster than what we have now.

Did this 6 months ago and couldn't be happier. Antenna (free), Netflix ($11/mo) and Hulu+ ($8/mo) gives us all the tv we need. Our ISP is $29.99 for 7mbps.

I'd love to explore this option, but my 1st grader would go berserk if he couldn't watch Monday Night Raw live every week.

can't do it as a sports and financial news fan.

no cnbc, no tennis channel, no tnt/tbs for baseball and nba, no espn or espn 2

forget it.

if i didn't want to watch those things, i wouldn't need a TV really at all.

I'd love to explore this option, but my 1st grader would go berserk if he couldn't watch Monday Night Raw live every week.
can't do it as a sports and financial news fan.no cnbc, no tennis channel, no tnt/tbs for baseball and nba, no espn or espn 2forget it.if i didn't want to watch those things, i wouldn't need a TV really at all.
If I could get my soccer games without cable I'd be right there with you.
Amazing what people will pay $1,000+/yr for.

can't do it as a sports and financial news fan.no cnbc, no tennis channel, no tnt/tbs for baseball and nba, no espn or espn 2forget it.if i didn't want to watch those things, i wouldn't need a TV really at all.
Agreed. Plus Spongebob is on Netflix.

I got rid of my cable two weeks ago and so far I don't miss it at all. I thought about my TV watching habits and I realized that most of the stuff I watch is on Network TV. With the antenna I get all the same channels not to mention better picture quality. I have a Blue Ray that gives me access to my Netflix, and I also bought a Mac Mini and I'm using that solely as a TV computer. I think the two things I miss the most are the clock that was on the cable box that told me the time and the guide function. I'm just going to buy a wall clock for my living room and I ordered the Elgato Eyetv to give me the guide as well as DVR functionality on my Mac Mini.

But I agree, if I watched a ton of basketball/baseball/hockey, I'd be real hesitant to cancel it. But I mostly watch football. I am thinking about investing in a slingbox to be able to watch some of the games though.

Around $600, but yeah that is certainly worth it to be able to see every match of my favorite teams plus any other matches that look interesting. It is BS to have to pay for the other 1000+ channels I hardly use, but much better than not being able to watch sports.

I got rid of my cable two weeks ago and so far I don't miss it at all. I thought about my TV watching habits and I realized that most of the stuff I watch is on Network TV. With the antenna I get all the same channels not to mention better picture quality. I have a Blue Ray that gives me access to my Netflix, and I also bought a Mac Mini and I'm using that solely as a TV computer. I think the two things I miss the most are the clock that was on the cable box that told me the time and the guide function. I'm just going to buy a wall clock for my living room and I ordered the Elgato Eyetv to give me the guide as well as DVR functionality on my Mac Mini.

But I agree, if I watched a ton of basketball/baseball/hockey, I'd be real hesitant to cancel it. But I mostly watch football. I am thinking about investing in a slingbox to be able to watch some of the games though.
LOL. We bought a clock to put next to the TV after we got rid of the cable box.

'proninja said:
I took the cable box back a couple weeks ago. I've got a blu-ray player with netflix/hulu plus, and frankly, the best part about it is that I watch less TV. Hulu plus/netflix is strikingly easy though. Only thing I'm really going to miss is football and beisbol. That sucks, but I'll do something constructive instead.
You're in Seattle; this shouldn't be a problem as you're not missing anything. :goodposting: :goodposting:

:goodposting: I could pitch a tent somewhere and save on a mortgage payment too.

LOL. We bought a clock to put next to the TV after we got rid of the cable box.
It's funny that's thing I miss the most. Ha! The guide is huge too. I used to like seeing what the show was about as well as what was on next. I suppose I could just look it up online, but I'd rather just have a button on my remote.

so... what is Roku?
RokuI rave about the thing all the time around here. There's probably people who think I'm pulling a Mr. Ham and my wife works for them.

Best entertainment purchase I've ever made.
can you watch hulu in hd on a large widescreen with this thing?
PS3 is close to carrying all the same stuff as roku BUT if you don't have one of those this is a much better/cheaper option

I'm pretty sure we could pick apart anyone's spending habits and come up with all kinds of "amazing what people will pay x for" stuff. If one can easily afford it, what's the harm?

And really, using the majicjack as our primary phone is the hardest part.
My brother has it. It's definitely not all that great in terms of quality, etc, but if you have cell phones and need to be mindful of the budget, it seems like a decent way to still have a landline.

so... what is Roku?
RokuI rave about the thing all the time around here. There's probably people who think I'm pulling a Mr. Ham and my wife works for them.

do you have a review or something that I could take a peak at? I am intrigued.
How about this one?engadget review
They've added Hulu since that review. Of the three primary content sources- Netflix, Hulu and Amazon- Hulu is the one we watch least. It does have current episodes of network shows, but that's really about it.We use the Amazon On Demand far more than I would have predicted. Being able to buy or rent, at a very reasonable price, almost any TV show or movie you can name, without having to go to a store, wait on the mail or even own a DVD player and DVDs is great. Every so often we just decide to start on a new show- right now we're doing Sons of Anarchy, and once it's there you own it without having to worry about storing and caring for the DVD or waiting for the next disk to come in the mail. We can watch five episodes in a day, or none for six months.

And really, using the majicjack as our primary phone is the hardest part.
My brother has it. It's definitely not all that great in terms of quality, etc, but if you have cell phones and need to be mindful of the budget, it seems like a decent way to still have a landline.
Our quality is fine. I called my mom in Florida this week and she says its better than anything else she's heard form our house. Buddy in town said the same thing. It's heavily reliant on the way your PC is setup.

i'd agree with teh monday night raw guy and the soccer guy, but com'on... i'm talking about literally hundreds of hours of programming that I'm watching between:Monday night footballthe four tennis majorsMLB playoffs (just about everything but the world series is on cable now)NBA playoffs (over half the nba playoffs is on cable)several major college basketball and bowl games.I don't watch actual TV shows, or local news.So yes... I pay $1000 a year to watch the TV that I actually want to watch.Since that represents less than 1% of my yearly budget it barely registers.

so... what is Roku?

can you watch hulu in hd on a large widescreen with this thing?
PS3 is close to carrying all the same stuff as roku BUT if you don't have one of those this is a much better/cheaper option
why doesnt this POS WDTV Live Plus (that I paid more for) have Hulu capability? it worked through PlayOn when I first got it, but they updated the firmware and now it doesnt. this is part of my problem with this, the whole technology seems to change too often... do you need to update firmware all the time on the roku?

can't do it as a sports and financial news fan.

no cnbc, no tennis channel, no tnt/tbs for baseball and nba, no espn or espn 2

forget it.

if i didn't want to watch those things, i wouldn't need a TV really at all.
I wish....my tv bill is 3x that....add on 2 internet connections(one for home and one mobile).....2 cell phones and a home phone line. right now it's just me and my wife using these things, when my kid(s) get to tv cell phone age i can't even imagine what my monthly bills are going to look like

Also, if you google "cutting the cable" almost all of the reviews say not to do it, especially the newspaper reviews. As if Time/Warner owns the cable AND newspapers.

Oh wait...

What exactly is Roku? I looked at the website but I'm technologically stupid.

Also, how do you use your computer for your TV?

:goodposting:

I am thinking about investing in a slingbox to be able to watch some of the games though.
I thought you still needed to pay for TV service with a slingbox. Splain please.
I haven't really looked into it too much because I don't think I want to inconveinence anyone, but I think you just need someone who pays for TV to use this. If you have a family member or friend with a cable box in a room that they don't use, you can just hook it up there.

What exactly is Roku? I looked at the website but I'm technologically stupid.Also, how do you use your computer for your TV? :eek:
Roku basically allows you to watch online programming on your TV. It answers your second question, in part. You can watch all the programming on Netflix and Hulu, and you can rent/purchase new movies and TV shows from Amazon On Demand. There's some other "channels" as well, but for the moment those are the big three content sources.

I am thinking about investing in a slingbox to be able to watch some of the games though.
I thought you still needed to pay for TV service with a slingbox. Splain please.
I haven't really looked into it too much because I don't think I want to inconveinence anyone, but I think you just need someone who pays for TV to use this. If you have a family member or friend with a cable box in a room that they don't use, you can just hook it up there.
Well yeah, but someone needs cable. If it's a box they are not using then sure but if you change the channel on the slingbox, you change the channel on the cable box.They have more expensive models with dual tuners to prevent this.

What exactly is Roku? I looked at the website but I'm technologically stupid.Also, how do you use your computer for your TV? :eek:
The Roku is just a box that connect to the internet (wirelsessly if you wish) and "streams" content to your TV, or whatever you have it connected to. It does not store movies etc, just plays them real time. It uses a remote. Exactly how the "On-Demand" service works that we had with Charter.

What exactly is Roku? I looked at the website but I'm technologically stupid.Also, how do you use your computer for your TV? :pickle:
Roku basically allows you to watch online programming on your TV. It answers your second question, in part. You can watch all the programming on Netflix and Hulu, and you can rent/purchase new movies and TV shows from Amazon On Demand. There's some other "channels" as well, but for the moment those are the big three content sources.
So basically it is a cable box that utilizes those three content providers and uses your internet connection instead, correct?I'm intrigued by this and will start recording what we typically watch and see if it is available (wife is big on food network)Based on previous comments you can't watch sports that are not OTA?Can you get HBO or are you required to use a provider?Why can't somebody break the monopoly these companies have and provide exactly what we want instead of forcing people to get all of this crap.

Let your dollars walk away. They will change. If I could get HBO for $5/month and ESPN for $5/Month I'd prolly would. Until then, I'm not paying over $100 for a bunch or crap I don't watch anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread