Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

We’ve settled on DirecTVNow after trying a few. The price is right and has all the channels we need. Put my wife on ATT cell service and got an even better deal — I think we are all in for DTVN at 15 or 20 a month including everything we need. I have been tying the Beta for the new app and it’s a nice improvement with a few hiccups they still need to work out. Cloud DVR is a nice add and the new guide is improved. 

Overall cutting the cable these days has become a no brainer. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The day of reckoning is here for many! The NFL and Sony just announced the Sony VUE will have access to the NFL Network and REDZONE beginning this season. For the multitudes of people who ha

First over the air channels (OTA).  You can get, and maybe already do, all the local channels OTA in high definition.  You’ll also get more than you suspect if you haven’t tuned in to OTA for many yea

if this has been posted already, I apologize. This is the best source I have seen to let you compare the streaming services and it updates daily.  Tons of info if you click around https://st

In the process of evaluating DTVN. Two days and looking good so far. Installed a HDhomerun Quatro (4 ota tuners) with a clearstream internal ota antannae to the hdhomerun and the ota channels are sent thru router (lan or wifi) to streaming devices. We are using AppleTV’s. Use Channels app on AppleTV for dvr and ota channel guide/live ota tv.  Can pause,rewind, skip commercial on live tv or dvr. Dvr software loaded quickly on pc and have 500gb drive. Can remotely access Channels app to watch live ota or recordings. DTVN working without any issues (knock on wood). Only negative is DTVN only allows 2 streams at the same time. But it has Nickelodeon which we “need”. 200 mb internet service not changing. 

- HD on OTA, UHD on DTVN, Amazon Prime, Netflix

- 5.1 retained

expect Spectrum/Time Warner bill cut from$270 to $135. Tried working with Spectrum last couple months with no results. 

Was very easy to set up.

The picture quality on both ota and DTVN is better than cable.

Edited by Phil Elliott
2 hours ago, B Maverick said:

ok, so I have the Amazon Fire TV and fire stick set up.  Netflix and Amazon are good.  Need to run the cable from the antenna to the various tvs for the local channels (Wife likes KTLA 5 in the am for news)...

DTVN or sling it seems will be next.

How is the live sports looking on those?

NBCSN, Fox Sports 1 and 2, Bein, ESPN

Then got to teach the wife how to navigate....

We cancelled sling TV last month.  Haven't missed it.  

Anyone in here have an NVidia Shield box?  I just got one and I have to say it’s very well put together.  Running Kodi and Terrarium TV on it and it’s quick and responsive.

On 3/30/2018 at 7:21 PM, Otis said:

We’ve settled on DirecTVNow after trying a few. The price is right and has all the channels we need. Put my wife on ATT cell service and got an even better deal — I think we are all in for DTVN at 15 or 20 a month including everything we need. I have been tying the Beta for the new app and it’s a nice improvement with a few hiccups they still need to work out. Cloud DVR is a nice add and the new guide is improved. 

Overall cutting the cable these days has become a no brainer. 

What are you paying for internet out there these days?

I ended up not cutting because my price for internet with Optimum plus a streaming package ended up not being much less than what I was able to get Optimum down to when I threatened to cancel. 

Edited by RUSF18

Think I'm pulling the trigger on YouTube TV. Has all the channels we watch and the locals with sports. Only issues is my whole house is fire sticks. So I'm going to have to get Rokus to run the thing. This Amazon vs Google war has many casualties. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Insein said:

Think I'm pulling the trigger on YouTube TV. Has all the channels we watch and the locals with sports. Only issues is my whole house is fire sticks. So I'm going to have to get Rokus to run the thing. This Amazon vs Google war has many casualties. 

try Mobdro before all that 

After several days into DTVN 7 day trial period, the picture has been excellent. However last night during the Michigan-Villanova game, there were brief periods when the screen was blurry. Not pixelated. Seemed to occur mostly during replays during the first half, sometimes during live play.   After the end of the game I switched to ESPN to see what they were covering in the post game. Switched back to DTVN and got an error and it wouldn't stream. After about 10 minutes of ESPN came back to DTVN and it was working again. :shrug:.

On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 3:07 PM, JoeSteeler said:

Yeah I got an invite for the beta...it is miles ahead of the old interface IMO

I finally cut the cable and am doing some homework on available streaming options. DTVN does not seem to offer any DVR service - is that correct? It also doesn't offer NFL Network or Redzone Channel. I'm surprised the FBG buzz is so positive, lacking these important  (IMO) features. To get these, I'm currently leaning toward PS Vue or Sling Orange+Blue.  Does that make sense?

18 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

I finally cut the cable and am doing some homework on available streaming options. DTVN does not seem to offer any DVR service - is that correct? It also doesn't offer NFL Network or Redzone Channel. I'm surprised the FBG buzz is so positive, lacking these important  (IMO) features. To get these, I'm currently leaning toward PS Vue or Sling Orange+Blue.  Does that make sense?

DVR is in Beta

there have been rumors for a while now that NFL network and redzone will get added to one of the tiers (not sure which one) but nothing concrete that I have seen.

Edited by JoeSteeler

I believe I have now officially tested all the main streaming service providers and my personal rankings:

1.Youtubetv

2.PS VUE (previously had PS Vue in its own tier but Youtube came on strong).

3. Sling

4. DTVN

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Shutout said:

I believe I have now officially tested all the main streaming service providers and my personal rankings:

1.Youtubetv

3. Sling

4. DTVN

I am leaning towards yttv myself now.  I am just waiting for the Scripts channels (Food TV, HGTV etc) to come in and I will cut the Direct TV cord for good.

• Like 1
On 4/5/2018 at 8:29 PM, NewlyRetired said:

I am leaning towards yttv myself now.  I am just waiting for the Scripts channels (Food TV, HGTV etc) to come in and I will cut the Direct TV cord for good.

I have had YouTube TV for 2 or 3 months now and really like it. They continue to make improvements on a regular basis - just recently a number of channels have been upgraded to 60FPS.  Adding Scripps channels is still the one big thing that I am hoping for.

• Like 1
On 4/3/2018 at 11:12 AM, RUSF18 said:

What are you paying for internet out there these days?

I ended up not cutting because my price for internet with Optimum plus a streaming package ended up not being much less than what I was able to get Optimum down to when I threatened to cancel. 

I think 50 a month. Actually we may pay 60 since we also kept an Optimum phone line. (May come to $62/mo?)

On 4/5/2018 at 1:15 PM, JoeSteeler said:

DVR is in Beta

there have been rumors for a while now that NFL network and redzone will get added to one of the tiers (not sure which one) but nothing concrete that I have seen.

I’ve been using the beta version. It’s a nice upgrade. 

On 4/5/2018 at 9:10 PM, Shutout said:

1.Youtubetv

3. Sling

4. DTVN

Funny, after trying them all, I’d rank them in the exact opposite order. 

• Like 1
On 4/5/2018 at 11:59 AM, ComfortablyNumb said:

Nickelodeon was a requirement for us.  You pretty much have to go with DTVN or Philo. I think Sling offered some of the other Nick channels but not Nick. NFL Network wasn't a big deal. DVR beta service has been rolled out to about half the customers but I haven't seen it yet. Looks like they have a good on-demand selection but it doesn't help if you want to record a live sports even.  Most of our DTR action is on OTA networks. 

8 hours ago, Otis said:

Funny, after trying them all, I’d rank them in the exact opposite order. 

What didn't you like about Youtube TV?  I'm going back and forth between DTVN and Youtube...without having tried either yet. 

2 hours ago, Neo said:

What didn't you like about Youtube TV?  I'm going back and forth between DTVN and Youtube...without having tried either yet. 

Absolutely hated the interface. And doesn’t have the channel selection of DTVN. 

Edited by Otis
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, Ned said:

I'm leaning towards the Youtube TV side, but as an ATT wireless customer, they're offering a free Apple TV4 if I use DTVN for 3 months.  That's awfully tempting.

I would take the deal and then decide in 3 months.

With these streaming services, there are no contracts so you can cancel when ever you want. 

If you are ready to switch to streaming now, use DTVN for a couple of months and then make a decision later. This also gives you some buffer time to await to see if the Scripts channels (Food Network, HGTV etc) come on board for YTTV and how they effect pricing.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Ned said:

I'm leaning towards the Youtube TV side, but as an ATT wireless customer, they're offering a free Apple TV4 if I use DTVN for 3 months.  That's awfully tempting.

I think that deal is for everyone...

https://www.directvnow.com/appletv?source=ECAuAT10600aff12A&wtExtndSource=4485850_13256182_9bade30a3e7811e88184ee2e757ac07b0INT&CI=CJ_AFFILIATE&RI=CJ1&RD=37922269

Edited by JoeSteeler
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

Correct that deal is for everyone, and it's a screaming good deal.

ATT wireless customers get an even better deal on the service, so it's like $20 a month for basic service with HBO.  Switched Mrs. O to AT&T specifically to get this deal.  Too good.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Otis said:

ATT wireless customers get an even better deal on the service, so it's like $20 a month for basic service with HBO.  Switched Mrs. O to AT&T specifically to get this deal.  Too good.

Thinking about doing this, as we are ATT wireless and DTV customers...but I'm thinking the wife will really miss the DVR/recording capability. Is there a good solution for handling this when you go 100% streaming? I'm not aware of one.

ETA: Maybe this is the answer?

Edited by BroncoFreak_2K3

I think the biggest thing right now is out of market MLS stuff. There also tons of "niche" sports - they are airing women's college tennis right now, bunch of rugby, non-PL English soccer, cricket, etc.

I think it's a good sign of things to come from Disney.

2 hours ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

Thinking about doing this, as we are ATT wireless and DTV customers...but I'm thinking the wife will really miss the DVR/recording capability. Is there a good solution for handling this when you go 100% streaming? I'm not aware of one.

ETA: Maybe this is the answer?

DTVN now is incorporating cloud DVR service.  I’m beta testing it right now.  Works fine.  Likely will be introduced into the mainstream service very soon. 

2 hours ago, Otis said:

Read the fine print on this deal.  I think there is something init regarding the streaming speed based on data usage within the plan.  I can't recall the specifics but know I ruled it out quickly because it was something like limiting stream quality fairly quickly. 

1 hour ago, Shutout said:

Read the fine print on this deal.  I think there is something init regarding the streaming speed based on data usage within the plan.  I can't recall the specifics but know I ruled it out quickly because it was something like limiting stream quality fairly quickly. 

Haven't had any issues here.  :shrug:

9 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

I did this last week. Said they would ship AppleTV in 10-14 days and I received it in two days - shipped from Illinois to Texas.

Edited by Phil Elliott
  • Like 1

innerweb speed 50/200

FWIW - I currently using a mohu leaf fifty 60 mile OTA antenna without the filter/amplifier. Tried the clearstream eclipse which is highly rated but it performed worse than a $8 rabbit ear antenna I had. I am less than 15 miles from all the main network towers. All come in at 100% signal quality and 100% signal strength. Get 44 channels. Received 38 channels with the rabbit ears and the eclipse and the signal would drop off quite  bit causing pixelation and pictures freezes.

Looking at the streaming services too.  Trying the sling free 7 day trial this week.  I’ll probably try YouTube next.  I like these two because I don’t need a separate streaming device, the streaming apps are right on the LG tv.  Only problem is that the DVR service isn’t there for Sling on LG’s WebOS yet.  Sling is the cheapest way to get NFL Network and Golf Channel too.

15 hours ago, joffer said:

Looking at the streaming services too.  Trying the sling free 7 day trial this week.  I’ll probably try YouTube next.  I like these two because I don’t need a separate streaming device, the streaming apps are right on the LG tv.  Only problem is that the DVR service isn’t there for Sling on LG’s WebOS yet.  Sling is the cheapest way to get NFL Network and Golf Channel too.

I decided to do both at the same time.  So far YouTube looks better.  Better channels, better interface, better DVR.  Only things  missing are NFL Network and Comedy Central.

• Like 1

We've had PS Vue for six months with our digital antenna. We never use the digital antenna but now the Vue cuts out a bit. I think this is to align it with end times and commercials it doesn't show but it's getting annoying. Might switch up next month.

2 hours ago, joffer said:

I decided to do both at the same time.  So far YouTube looks better.  Better channels, better interface, better DVR.  Only things  missing are NFL Network and Comedy Central.

We cut the cable in December. Started with Hulu but that was a bad experience. I blamed our internet but it was Hulu. Bad interface, lots of lag and then triple speed video to catch up to “live”.  Switched to YouTube TV. Massive improvement, no lag, no freezing. Highly recommend. 

• Like 2
On 2/15/2017 at 8:37 AM, joker said:

The Archer C3150 is currently $139.99 on Amazon, and has free shipping for Prime members. This wireless router has very positive reviews from what I can see - does anyone here have one? If so, how is it?

Archer C3150 on Amazon

I'm going to move to a separate DSL modem and wireless router, and am thinking this would be a good one to get if it's as good as the reviews say. Currently I use a Centurylink combo modem & router, and my coverage and speed is just ok. Upgrading the modem and router should give me much better results, right? I'm in a three level house that doesn't have a major interference problem.

On 2/22/2017 at 8:21 PM, tonydead said:

Yep. I need that. Effectively doubles the bandwidth of my C7. I love tplink. 

@mquinnjr

I upgraded to C3150 from Archer C7. Solved all my connectivity issues:  I had two cameras at the far end of the house that would drop signal occasionally and I wasn't sure if it was the router's reach or if the two cameras were interfering with each other because they are right next to each other.  And my fire tv upstairs didn't quite reach the 5.0 band. Both issues gone. 

I decided on the C3150 instead of the C5400 because the C5400 just adds another 5.0 band and there are only two of us that would be streaming anything. 

Do you remember if the $139 price was for Version 1?  I spent $200 for Version 2.  Seemed like a lot of issues got resolved between versions.

ETA:  I see from the link it was Version 1.  

Edited by tonydead
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, tonydead said:

@mquinnjr

I upgraded to C3150 from Archer C7. Solved all my connectivity issues:  I had two cameras at the far end of the house that would drop signal occasionally and I wasn't sure if it was the router's reach or if the two cameras were interfering with each other because they are right next to each other.  And my fire tv upstairs didn't quite reach the 5.0 band. Both issues gone. 

I decided on the C3150 instead of the C5400 because the C5400 just adds another 5.0 band and there are only two of us that would be streaming anything. 

Do you remember if the $139 price was for Version 1?  I spent $200 for Version 2.  Seemed like a lot of issues got resolved between versions.

ETA:  I see from the link it was Version 1.  

:thumbup:

Thanks man for the recommendation, much appreciated!