What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (8 Viewers)

Me too.  And I'm screwed because Comcast is my only option.  I loathe Comcast.
Same here, but internet only would be "$70 plus your speed tier"....and 150mps (or whatever the technical deal is) would be another $15.  So $85 before taxes, call it $90.  My all in triple play with them is $160 - that's with something like 150 channels, HD, and a voice activated DVR.  It's right on the edge of me wanting to cut....

Same here, but internet only would be "$70 plus your speed tier"....and 150mps (or whatever the technical deal is) would be another $15.  So $85 before taxes, call it $90.  My all in triple play with them is $160 - that's with something like 150 channels, HD, and a voice activated DVR.  It's right on the edge of me wanting to cut....
I hear ya, but, I don't miss any shows and I'm for giving them as little money as possible.  Plus a lot of the exclusive content put out by Netflix, Hulu, Prime etc. is starting to become some of the best tv there is and you don't get any of that in your 150 channels.  When I had cable the 150 channels was really a handful of channels I watched and over a hundred I never did.

ETA: My month to month with Comcast is $74 all in for (last time I checked) 100Mbps.  It would be cheaper if I played the contract game, but, I don't play that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Google, "reddit NFL Streams".  Take 30 seconds clicking around to find a working link.

or

VPN your IP address outside North America and you can get the full Gamepass from NFL.com.  It's going for around $150 and includes redzone, replay, NFL network, and all games no blackouts.  If you want all the games from just your team you can get that for $89.
Swriously. I do the reddit thing. Just found that stuff out last fall. Already have Redzone but with reddit I was able to watch all my Celtics games last season without buying League Pass. It's fantastic.

I'm moving next month and would like to try to cut the cord and leave DirecTV behind. Picture quality is very important to me. I have six 4k TVs.

Which service has the best picture quality?

Was really happy with YouTubeTV after switching over from SlingTV but Redzone isn't available there.

Did a free trial week to get  Sling and Redzone back for yesterday but need to come up with a better option to get RZ.

Would rather keep YouTubeTV but may have to switch back to SlingTV during football season.

I saw that Redzone is also available on Fubo TV, anyone have experience with that one?

ETA: Ugh, no ESPN on Fubo, never mind.

DTVNow is completely different I think. We’ve tried a few of the services and found this one to be easily the best for us. 
We’ve been on DTVN for a few weeks now and love it. It’s like cable-lite. Only nit I’ve found is you can’t rewind live tv. The DVR has been excellent. 

I'll definitely add an antenna to each, but that would be in addition to any streaming service if I go that route
There are no 4k streaming services right now.  There's a tiny handful of options on Netflix and Amazon.  AFIAK nobody is even bothering to record in 4k right now.  For the moment I would think 4k will have less adoption than 3D did.  

Has anyone tried onesteptv or a similar IPTV? 

I tried a search but couldn't find anything.  I'm new to cordcutting but thus far, the product seems far superior to DirecTV for only $25/month for 4 devices.

I was concerned about the legality but everything I could find said than there was nothing illegal about streaming IPTV.

I keep reading the fine print or waiting for a catch to pop up, but thus far, I haven't found anything.

Any way to negotiate with Spectrum? My internet only bill is about to go from $45 to $65/month. It's not terrible but wondering if there's anything I can do. Unfortunately it's the only option I have for internet in my area right now. I'm probably just going to end up eating it, right?

Depending on how many tv's you have going at the same time it may not matter. But in my limited experience Directv Now was better than Sling.

Simultaneous streams:

Sling (must get orange/Blue pkg to get the 4)-4

Directv Now-2

Hulu w/live tv-2

PlayStation Vue-5 but only 3 at first until?

YouTube Tv-3

So do your homework based on your usage vs picture quality. Also whichever streaming device you use will also be the judge on picture quality unless you have smart tv's then your good. The good thing you have though is each one offers a free trial, so give em all a trial to see which one you like the best.
Post six more times and I'm reporting your avatar.

So I was paying about $280 (that includes $72 a month just for equipment alone) for a Fios bundle which covered all the TVs, land line (never even hooked a phone to it) and internet. 

I finally said the hell with because the TVs in my house are almost NEVER being watched.  My daughter usually turns the TV on in every room that she's in and goes right to her laptop and phone never looking at the TV once.  It's just background noise. 

Now, $80 for Fios gigabite internet, $40 YouTube TV, Netflix $10.99 and Amazon $8 - so for now I'm at only $139 a month.  I didn't mind paying the $280 but it just seemed like it wasn't being used.  I like to go out to watch football and YouTube TV has NBA so that's covered.  The only shows I'm watching now are on YouTube TV (Mayan MC  :gang2: ) Amazon or Netflix.  

If I don't get sucked into buying a lot of a la carte apps this works well  :shrug:    I'm on the fence about picking up HBO and Showtime again but haven't watched either in a long time when I had it.

This may be a game changer for me, and many others here.  It's from Amazon - and if I'm understanding it correctly, you only have to hook an antenna into it - but you don't have to run a hard wire to each TV.  You just need a fire TV device at each, and you can wirelessly stream from this device anything that you've recorded over the air. 

Any way to negotiate with Spectrum? My internet only bill is about to go from $45 to $65/month. It's not terrible but wondering if there's anything I can do. Unfortunately it's the only option I have for internet in my area right now. I'm probably just going to end up eating it, right?
Spectrum offers a streaming service also (may not be available everywhere yet). Depending on the channels you are looking for, you can probably get a bundle rate with the internet service.

Was really happy with YouTubeTV after switching over from SlingTV but Redzone isn't available there.

Did a free trial week to get  Sling and Redzone back for yesterday but need to come up with a better option to get RZ.

Would rather keep YouTubeTV but may have to switch back to SlingTV during football season.

I saw that Redzone is also available on Fubo TV, anyone have experience with that one?

ETA: Ugh, no ESPN on Fubo, never mind.
Red zone is available on PS Vue.

Spectrum offers a streaming service also (may not be available everywhere yet). Depending on the channels you are looking for, you can probably get a bundle rate with the internet service.
I've got the Spectrum streaming service. $25 a month and you get your local stations and choice of 10 channels. I've had it a little over a month. It's horribly unreliable though. App doesn't load at least once a night and trying to watch football games the picture is very poor quality at times. Seems like the problem has been going on for over a year now. From what I read they don't have the servers to handle the volume. Will be going back to Youtube live or Hulu

This may be a game changer for me, and many others here.  It's from Amazon - and if I'm understanding it correctly, you only have to hook an antenna into it - but you don't have to run a hard wire to each TV.  You just need a fire TV device at each, and you can wirelessly stream from this device anything that you've recorded over the air. 
That could definitely change things. My Dish bill is way too big although it’s really nice. I need to figure out the bare minimum, especially the number of rooms. I’ve got too many TVs hooked up and part of it is the live TV. I bought and have setup most of the Firesticks.

I definitely will be getting this DVR and seeing how it does. I’m sure this will be on sale at some point around Christmas.

this site is linked in the amazon page to check the signal you would get from each station....for me, most were pretty weak. Def check it out before investing in this. 

Saw that but currently using Hulu Live which has DVR capabilities, gives me most of the local stations and also most cable stations I'm interested in.

Update on me - have made the switch to an Obi200 for the phone - ported number from Uverse to T-Mobile to Google Voice. As am in the process of switching internet providers, have not completed setup of the Obi200. Only reason I had to port numbers etc. or even set up home service is because it makes my wife more comfortable as there can be spotty cell service at our house, and as we've had the number forever she wanted to keep it. Minor additional cost to port the number, but happy wife, happy life.

Going to Spectrum for Internet - tech comes next Friday so hopefully everything goes smoothly

Tested Hulu Live and it was simple enough and enjoyed it that I kept it so far past the free trial. Once we are fully set up (ie Uverse totally out, new internet up, etc.) I will search through the extra options that they have (I think I can get by with the 3 streams, but as we temporarily have additional family staying with us, I may pony up for the unlimited streams short term)

I'll go a bit rogue, but as my parents still have Uverse and the full package, I'll leverage their login to get HBO, Showtime, etc. as long as they have it.

Already have Netflix and Amazon Prime. Do not have enough hours in the day to keep up with all the shows I would like.

Complicating factor - a little over 5 years ago we had a fire in our house - had to be totally gutted, etc. Took advantage of that to wire the entire house with Cat5/Cat6, etc., speakers, et. al. Friend of ours owns a high end A/V company and hooked us up with a good deal on a whole home system that is way more than we needed, and quite frankly is too expensive for us to realistically maintain. But as everything is wired through it, need to keep at least a barebones system in place to leverage the surround sound in the living room and master bedroom and be able to play music throughout the house when we want to. So have their tech coming out same time as Spectrum to convert everything over to the new internet/wifi. I can't say I totally regret not just wiring each room independently, but if I had rather than centralizing through the system that really needs a professional to make updates/changes to programatically, the whole change over would be a lot easier.

It's basically Tablo, which I got a couple years ago, but presumably a better/more user-friendly implementation.  

Tablo works well enough, but we never use it.

I'm internet only right now. I have gotten those flyers/cards with the $21.99/month deal for the 20 channels or whatever. We considered it, but honestly we really just don't need more than what we have right now - antenna, Netflix, HBO, Showtime, Amazon, Hulu (3 of which we may or may not be "borrowing")

So, Spectrum coming on Friday to do the setup for Internet - getting the 400MB Internet.

Safe to go with their modem (have been told with the 400MB theirs is ok)? If not, what modem and router do those of you that have done this suggest?

So, Spectrum coming on Friday to do the setup for Internet - getting the 400MB Internet.

Safe to go with their modem (have been told with the 400MB theirs is ok)? If not, what modem and router do those of you that have done this suggest?
Not sure if you can still get a discount on the bill if you buy your own modem but if you can I'd look into that.  You need to make sure it's a model # on an approved list though. I used to save $10 a month doing this, not sure if they still do it or not.

I have a Nighthawk R7000 router and it works pretty well. There are a couple spots in my house that are weaker than the rest (on the complete opposite side of the house) but it does pretty well overall... even outside. 

If you have a larger house you could look into a mesh system to keep a consistent signal, I've heard good things about the Google wifi setup for that but I haven't personally tested it.

Not sure if you can still get a discount on the bill if you buy your own modem but if you can I'd look into that.  You need to make sure it's a model # on an approved list though. I used to save $10 a month doing this, not sure if they still do it or not.

I have a Nighthawk R7000 router and it works pretty well. There are a couple spots in my house that are weaker than the rest (on the complete opposite side of the house) but it does pretty well overall... even outside. 

If you have a larger house you could look into a mesh system to keep a consistent signal, I've heard good things about the Google wifi setup for that but I haven't personally tested it.
My bill doesn't even break it down at all. Internet service - $64.99. Wondering about the discount on the modem if I get my own...

I have Google WiFi and it works great. There are very few instances where I have less than full connection on any device and I can even get pretty good connection when I'm outside. Totally worth it and really easy to set up. The app is really user friendly too as far as testing speed, mesh connection, etc.

And we are done--

Canceled all Uverse service, just have to return the equipment which I'll do tonight or tomorrow.

Went with Spectrum 400MB plan - $65/month - speed test shows that it's coming into the house at over 450MB

Got an Obi200 that I've setup with Google voice as the wife wanted to keep the home line - this involved porting the number from A&T to a T-Mobile account, and then to Google Voice. Right around $30 and a little time for that process.

Already had Netflix and Amazon Prime - have added Hulu live - so far so good, but with the number of people in our house at the moment, I may have to upgrade to the unlimited streams plan, at least for the short term.

Now I just wonder why I did not do this sooner. Saving over $100/month which will pay off the extra equipment I bout in short order (2 Apple TVs and the Obi200)

Update for me:

Called to cancel Directv today. I was connected to a loyalty representative who offered to give us a credit of $60/month and upgrade our equipment which apparently is outdated.  (I'm only getting 480p on the receiver and I can't get it to change).  He offered the ST, but that's not a huge deal for me so I declined.  Our bill still would have been around $70/month.  We went with Directv Now and it has been going well on the $40/month plan.  

What are people using for a NAS? I am not cutting cable, but am looking for something to store all of my Media so that it is more accessible by the family. One of my kids is moving away from Apple that the rest of the family has, so I need to have something more generic, therefore I am looking at PLEX for the media.

My thought is to store the media (and other stuff) on a NAS that can run as a Plex server, and if that can't handle the transcoding I will later get something like a Mac Mini that can perform those tasks sufficiently.

I have been looking at a QNAP TS-415+ and a Synology 918+. Anyone have any experience with those, or something like them.

TIA!

What are people using for a NAS? I am not cutting cable, but am looking for something to store all of my Media so that it is more accessible by the family. One of my kids is moving away from Apple that the rest of the family has, so I need to have something more generic, therefore I am looking at PLEX for the media.

My thought is to store the media (and other stuff) on a NAS that can run as a Plex server, and if that can't handle the transcoding I will later get something like a Mac Mini that can perform those tasks sufficiently.

I have been looking at a QNAP TS-415+ and a Synology 918+. Anyone have any experience with those, or something like them.

TIA!
Windows Storage Spaces.  Especially if you have an extra or old PC lying around.  Simple to set up router to wake and allow remote access while at work or traveling.

ETA: Ooops, seen that you're Apple, never mind and good luck.

Looking like more options available for cloud DVR and Hulu Live seems to be a great option.  $40 per month, add $15 for 200 hours of cloud dvr.  Can record anything other than like ESPN/disney stuff it seems?  No real way to record that at this point.

But have that plus NFL game pass seems like a great option to direct + sunday ticket.

Doing the free week trial of it now to see how the family likes it.

I've been using a QNAP TS-431 for 2-3 years and it's been fine. A bit finicky to set up for remote management and stuff, but, once it got going it's been ok.

From what I remember the QNAPs are a bit tricky... every model has a different CPU base and processing speed and whatever. So not all of them are suitable for being media streaming servers. Do a lot of looking into exactly what you want to use it for before pulling the trigger.
Thanks!

I have slowed a bit because I need to figure out what I am going to do for backup with the new configuration (moving media and other data away from my main computer). My main piece of concern is what to do for back-up. Right now I have everything going to a cloud storage, but they don't do NAS servers. That makes me think that I might look more at getting a Mac Mini Mini and attach my drives to it.

MFing Nickelodeon may be the death of me trying to cut cable.

Seemingly not available on any service and limited on demand options without a cable/satellite provider.

Amd of course it’s where my kids watch several shows

Looking like more options available for cloud DVR and Hulu Live seems to be a great option.  $40 per month, add $15 for 200 hours of cloud dvr.  Can record anything other than like ESPN/disney stuff it seems?  No real way to record that at this point.

But have that plus NFL game pass seems like a great option to direct + sunday ticket.

Doing the free week trial of it now to see how the family likes it.
I would really like to try Hulu live, but the biggest thing keeping me from it is the fact that it does not carry NFL network.

Seemingly not available on any service and limited on demand options without a cable/satellite provider.

Introduce them to Youtube, the will never watch regular TV again.  (I will never understand what my kids get out of watching other people play video games).

I would really like to try Hulu live, but the biggest thing keeping me from it is the fact that it does not carry NFL network.

Introduce them to Youtube, the will never watch regular TV again.  (I will never understand what my kids get out of watching other people play video games).
They are on YouTube already. But have a few nick shows they like that are still putting out new episodes.

NFL network (mostly red zone) I would love (and it’s a plus for sling). I’m trying each out for  their trials.

Will likely be hooking on to Game Pass anyway.

Just axed cable the other day.  I have Internet only plus NFL GamePass International.  Bought 2 digital antennas and not much has changed.  We watch local news and hit my network HDDs for everything else like I did when I had cable.  Estimated savings are $1,600 next year.  So glad I finally did it.  :thumbup:

When we cut the cord earlier this year we jumped to DTVN only because they were the one service that included Nick at lower levels.

Is there an option (sling, youtube, etc.) that will allow me to have CNN/FOX/MSNBC for news/talk/dumb arguments AND FS1, ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, ESPN other networks for sports?

PlayStation Vue has all of these channels. 
Thank you. I assume one of the short-comings is no local cable option for local sports outside of what is on the free local channels?

In other words, as a Chicago fan, how would I get access to watching the Cubs/Sox/Bulls/Blackhawks.

The Vue would definitely cover me nationally.

Thank you. I assume one of the short-comings is no local cable option for local sports outside of what is on the free local channels?

In other words, as a Chicago fan, how would I get access to watching the Cubs/Sox/Bulls/Blackhawks.

I’m in the NYC area, I get my locals plus YES (Yankees, Nets) and SNY (Mets). Hockey coverage for me is non-existant unfortunately, other than national games on NBCSN, because the MSG networks are not available on Vue. 

PlayStation Vue has all of these channels. 
For a rookie that has Fios can you give me a breakdown on benifits of Vue? Looks like you can get all the same channels plus movie channels but it’s about $80/mo? Do you need a PlayStation 4 and will it stream to all TVs in house? Sorry still getting ripped off by Verizon and haven’t researched options much as I’m hesitant to give up movie channels. 

For a rookie that has Fios can you give me a breakdown on benifits of Vue? Looks like you can get all the same channels plus movie channels but it’s about $80/mo? Do you need a PlayStation 4 and will it stream to all TVs in house? Sorry still getting ripped off by Verizon and haven’t researched options much as I’m hesitant to give up movie channels. 
My package is 59.99/month. No taxes, fees, etc. There are 2 packages that cost less than ours,  and I think there’s one that’s more expensive. You need a device on every TV. It doesn’t have to be a PS4. We use Amazon Fire TV’s on our 3 TV’s. You can use any streaming device, I believe (Fire TV, Roku, Apple TV). 

Has anyone tried Expedite TV? 800 channels including AMC, Redzone and all NFL games for $15 month (intro 3 months) and then $20 ongoing with no contract. 

I have a Visio that will only get Hulu db and not the live Hulu, plus wife has to watch Walking Dead on AMC.

So I guess I'll have to buy a Roku to try the Expedite.

Hulu Live ($45) has all of this plus all the local networks here.  I would assume it functions the same in Chicago.  I still get local news, severe weather alerts, etc.  

I love it.  On Saturdays it has a college football tab that shows fast access to all the games.  Flipping thru channels is not ideal, but nothing that's going to make me think about going back to traditional cable.  

jb1020 said:
Hulu Live ($45) has all of this plus all the local networks here.  I would assume it functions the same in Chicago.  I still get local news, severe weather alerts, etc.  

I love it.  On Saturdays it has a college football tab that shows fast access to all the games.  Flipping thru channels is not ideal, but nothing that's going to make me think about going back to traditional cable.  
I’m thinking about Hulu TV. I already have Hulu so that gets thrown in and I have Fire TVs so YouTube TV is out. I plan to get one of those Fire TV recasts for DVRing local channels as I have a big antenna in my attic from my days with HD when local channels weren’t included. Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Hulu TV, HBO (via AT&T unlimited) and DVR’d local channels should be more than enough to finally dump Dish. Love Dish, but for all the TVs it’s $150 a month. Not worth it now that the kids watch more Netflix than regular TV. 

I’m thinking about Hulu TV. I already have Hulu so that gets thrown in and I have Fire TVs so YouTube TV is out. I plan to get one of those Fire TV recasts for DVRing local channels as I have a big antenna in my attic from my days with HD when local channels weren’t included. Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Hulu TV, HBO (via AT&T unlimited) and DVR’d local channels should be more than enough to finally dump Dish. Love Dish, but for all the TVs it’s $150 a month. Not worth it now that the kids watch more Netflix than regular TV. 
I've had Hulu LIve since it came out, never been a regret.  Its gotten a lot better.  Honestly, I don't think you'll need the recast now.  You should be able to DVR everything in Hulu, even local stuff.  

Users who are viewing this thread