What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (4 Viewers)

I've had Hulu LIve since it came out, never been a regret.  Its gotten a lot better.  Honestly, I don't think you'll need the recast now.  You should be able to DVR everything in Hulu, even local stuff.  
Great to know. The only thing I was thinking was number of streams. I’ve got 5 people in the house now and we have family over here and there. I’ve seen some DVR time limitations or showing with ads, so I’ll probably still get it when it goes on sale. It’s a one time buy and I’ll probably make it a gift for myself.

Also, while Spectrum’s been solid for Internet this would be something we could still watch if the Internet goes out like it did this week. Lots of construction and we’ve had cases where they cut a line.

Great to know. The only thing I was thinking was number of streams. I’ve got 5 people in the house now and we have family over here and there. I’ve seen some DVR time limitations or showing with ads, so I’ll probably still get it when it goes on sale. It’s a one time buy and I’ll probably make it a gift for myself.

Also, while Spectrum’s been solid for Internet this would be something we could still watch if the Internet goes out like it did this week. Lots of construction and we’ve had cases where they cut a line.
You can pay to upgrade DVR storage and upgrade to unlimited streams.  Might be like another $25 total.  Don't know off the top of my head.  

True about watching when the internet goes out.  

You can pay to upgrade DVR storage and upgrade to unlimited streams.  Might be like another $25 total.  Don't know off the top of my head.  

True about watching when the internet goes out.  
Looked it up. Extra $20 a month for both of those. Not too bad. I’ll see how it goes first. I need to upgrade my Internet to 200mbps as well from 100. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to try Hulu live, but Hulu not having NFL network is a big thing for me.  I am currently on PSVue and have considered giving Hulu a try once football season is over and NFL network is a bunch of reruns, but we will see.

Joe Mammy said:
Has anyone tried Expedite TV? 800 channels including AMC, Redzone and all NFL games for $15 month (intro 3 months) and then $20 ongoing with no contract. 

I have a Visio that will only get Hulu db and not the live Hulu, plus wife has to watch Walking Dead on AMC.

So I guess I'll have to buy a Roku to try the Expedite.
I haven't tried Expedite but we have been using a different IPTV, onesteptv, for the past several months.  I posted a bit about it in the DirecTV thread.  Most of the IPTVs I've seen are offering similar products at this point with the differences being the quality of the Customer Service, the number of devices, and the guide/interfaces.  

Onestep has definitely been solid for us so far.  More channels than we'll ever watch, all the sports packages, PPV events, premium movie channels and a huge on demand library on up to 4 devices for $25/month.  We're using fire sticks.

I also went to high school with a guy who started GNR tv.  I haven't used it but a lot of my friends have and they all like it.  From what I've heard, they have really great customer service but they're all little more expensive on multiple devices.

I would like to try Hulu live, but Hulu not having NFL network is a big thing for me.  I am currently on PSVue and have considered giving Hulu a try once football season is over and NFL network is a bunch of reruns, but we will see.
What’s on NFL network that isn’t on other channels? I have Amazon Prime and they have the Thursday night games and IIRC, I thought the local CBS or Fox had the games on as well. I don’t think it’s like it used to be a couple years ago when it was only NFL network. 

What’s on NFL network that isn’t on other channels? I have Amazon Prime and they have the Thursday night games and IIRC, I thought the local CBS or Fox had the games on as well. I don’t think it’s like it used to be a couple years ago when it was only NFL network. 
You're correct. The prime and hulu live combo gets every nfl game. 

Going to go youtube tv this week.  Roku the best?  I have a mammoth 40" Sony Wega from 2003(?), great pic but probably going to have to somehow(300#'s) get to the curb.

Has anyone tried Expedite TV? 800 channels including AMC, Redzone and all NFL games for $15 month (intro 3 months) and then $20 ongoing with no contract. 

I have a Visio that will only get Hulu db and not the live Hulu, plus wife has to watch Walking Dead on AMC.

So I guess I'll have to buy a Roku to try the Expedite.
Is this a legal service or pirated streams packaged together and sold?

What is the cheapest, cable cutting way to get RedZone?
My best route (and believe me, I have kicked this can from one side of the supermarket to the other, trying everything and anything out there) was PSVUE.

All in all, it is as about as simple as you can get. You get the PS VUE, which is a solid service in and of itself, and you add on the $10/month sports extras that gives you, admittedly, a BUNCH of grarbage sports channels but also has RZ nested in it.  You pick it up for the part of the season you want and drop it when you are ready. For me, I pick it up in September and drop it in December, so I have access to it for $40.  

This part may be coincidence but I will toss it out there in case it has legs (haven't had a way to test it): I recently moved to a very remote cabin and am ALMOST off the gird.  With that comes a lot of fun challenges and one of them is I can't even get OTA antenna service with a top-end 150 mile antenna. So, I rely mainly on an awesome antenna I have that allows me to go from no cell service to great cell service and a very rudimentary Internet experience with crawling speeds.  With limited bandwidth, I have to pay attention to what I am streaming and how many devices or the buffer & stutter monsters get me.  Anyway, I have noticed that streaming a football game is more challenging than a standard show or movie.  I guess the movement, etc,  (Or something) has an impact.  So, watching a Fox game is okay but subject to poorer visuals.  Red Zone, on the other hand, has consistently streamed strong and without stuttering at all. Again, might be coincidence, but it has been a very good thing for me and my limited bandwidth. 

Yes, Roku is the best.   Also, you own it as opposed to paying $15 a month to rent a POS box from a cable company.
I don't think Roku is the best. I wasn't a huge fan of my old Roku and I liked my Apple TV better. Now I like my Fire TV even better. I like the UI and having Alexa on one of them (the cube) and an Echo. That let's me have them tied into home automation as well (lights - awesome for Christmas). I'm sure Roku has gotten better, but I like the whole ecosystem approach, which I think will only get better.

Going to go youtube tv this week.  Roku the best?  I have a mammoth 40" Sony Wega from 2003(?), great pic but probably going to have to somehow(300#'s) get to the curb.
if you are looking to replace the Sony and stay at 40" this looks like a nice deal on a 40" HD Roku TV

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-40-class-led-1080p-smart-hdtv-roku-tv/6261177.p?ref=8575135&loc=7ad8fc0a200411e9a77aeef2e093f6790INT&acampID=7ad8fc0a200411e9a77aeef2e093f6790INT&skuId=6261177

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a little confused on Hulu. 

I understand Hulu with Live TV. 

My question relates to just the basic Hulu package.  I see notes that there are VOD's available the day after they air, on the regular Hulu package.  If this is true, what channels are supported by this vod feature in the base package?  i assume it is just a small subset of the channels available in the Live TV pack but I can't find a list.

My question relates to just the basic Hulu package.  I see notes that there are VOD's available the day after they air, on the regular Hulu package.  If this is true, what channels are supported by this vod feature in the base package?  i assume it is just a small subset of the channels available in the Live TV pack but I can't find a list.
bump in case any one knows the answer here...

I am looking to buy a new TV.  I am a little confused by Roku TV.  Is it the same as a smart TV?  Will I be able to pick up OTA channels and do they have hdmi ports so I can plug in my firestick?  The same size Roku Tv is about 3 hundred dollars cheaper so I was thinking about getting one but know nothing about any of these newer TVs.

I am looking to buy a new TV.  I am a little confused by Roku TV.  Is it the same as a smart TV?  Will I be able to pick up OTA channels and do they have hdmi ports so I can plug in my firestick?  The same size Roku Tv is about 3 hundred dollars cheaper so I was thinking about getting one but know nothing about any of these newer TVs.
Roku TV is just a regular TV that builds in the Roku box.  Yee, the Roku function makes it a smart tv as you can then access all of the Roku apps (Hulu, Netflix, Youtube, and thousands of other apps).

That tv listed in the link you quoted has three hdmi ports.

Yes, it's a smart TV

Yes, you can get OTA channels and also cable/sat if you still have that. You toggle between those options on the main screen.

You won't need your firestick, as far as I know - just add the apps you like to the Roku TV.

I have the 32" TCL Roku TV in my bedroom, It has two HDMI ports and one USB (I don't use any of them). Mine - see the home screen in the pic.

As far as I’m aware, the basic Hulu package and the Hulu live TV package are unrelated. The shows that appear a day or two later on regular Hulu have nothing to do with what channels are on the separate live TV service. In my experience, ABC, NBC and FOX shows tend to be part of basic Hulu, but CBS and CW generally do not. 

Well, I've finally done it too.  Been a cable subscriber for 18 years now, but with kids leaving the house, and this new internet thingy, I saw my last bill at $275.00 and said, we're done.

When I first signed up, I got the triple play or wtf it's called and it was like $150/month for home phone, cable (lots of channels + premiums) and internet. 

That seemed like a good deal.  But as we all have cell phones now, my home line hasn't worked in almost 4 years.  And after doing some digging around, here is my new setup

Internet only + netflix + youtube live subscription.  Fin.  It's now $125.00/month (i have the super gig internet which company pays for, so net $55/month)

I have firestick tv with terrarium tv build, but a bit scared to use - looking into VPN's.

Question 1 - what does every one do for sports?  Big soccer fan and I mean, I'll watch every league in the world - is there a build for the firestick that will help out here?

Question 2 - VPN like IPVAnish is totally worth the $5/month, right?  

Well, I've finally done it too.  Been a cable subscriber for 18 years now, but with kids leaving the house, and this new internet thingy, I saw my last bill at $275.00 and said, we're done.

When I first signed up, I got the triple play or wtf it's called and it was like $150/month for home phone, cable (lots of channels + premiums) and internet. 

That seemed like a good deal.  But as we all have cell phones now, my home line hasn't worked in almost 4 years.  And after doing some digging around, here is my new setup

Internet only + netflix + youtube live subscription.  Fin.  It's now $125.00/month (i have the super gig internet which company pays for, so net $55/month)

I have firestick tv with terrarium tv build, but a bit scared to use - looking into VPN's.

Question 1 - what does every one do for sports?  Big soccer fan and I mean, I'll watch every league in the world - is there a build for the firestick that will help out here?

I use Private Internet Access which comes out to just over $3 a month.  There isn't anything complicated about it.  Download the app, sign up and log in, choose what country/state you want your IP in and press a button.  They have videos on their website to watch that will show you how easy it is.  You wont find PIA in the Amazon app store so you have to go to there website to download and install the APK.

Not sure about soccer, but, for NFL and MMA I watch live events on reddit streams.

Not sure what live tv you get with youtube, but, for local channels try adding a HD antenna if you need them.

Also, no one that I know of has ever been given notice and  certainly not got in trouble for watching a stream.  I did it for years without a VPN.  For the price though VPN is cheep insurance.  

You can get it cheaper than $5/month.  Do a search for discount codes.  I think I pay $3/month.  I’ve been using it for 2+ years and have been very happy.  Two months without cable so far and I love it.  Frontier charges me $68 for 100/100 service.  That’s all I pay for.  It’s freakin awesome and I’m finally free from the scam that is cable.

YouTube tv should get you a decent amount of soccer. EPL on NBC, Bundesliga on Fox, MLS on Fox/ESPN, probably not too different than what you had access to via cable. 

If you don’t require ESPN then you should look at fubo instead of YouTube tv. Best streaming service bar none when it comes to soccer. https://www.fubo.tv/welcome/channels

Thanks.  Yeah, I saw fubo, but it's got a few downsides, for instance it's already $5 more per month, and then if you want cloud dvr that's another $10.

I also saw reddit had a thread for streams but I can't find anything now for the life of me.  I suppose my search will continue.

Verizon Fios contract ending in 2 weeks, so tried Hulu live for a week.  We have a bunch of TVs (not all being used at one time) w 4 Kids and cell phones. Already paying for Netflix and Prime.  Have fire sticks and a few smart TVs, so I think I have the logistics in good shape.

I called Verizon and they said my internet only will be about $80 w/ router and taxes.  Fios offers teaser rate of like $40 for internet only.  I did a google search and I know Xfinity is around a similar price.  Where else are you getting internet cheaper?  I live in Suburban Philly, so I assume other alternatives work.

If that is the alternative then we save $40 per month, so cannot complain they much.

3 months in with internet only and absolutely loving it.  I pay 1/3 of what I used to each month and am still watching all the things I did before.  

Looking to make the cord cutting move in the next month or so.  Looks like the DirectTV Now 'Go Big' package will have all the channels we're looking for plus some I currently don't have and I should save almost $100 per month.  

One thing that came up when I was talking to a guy at work was the concept of being able to channel surf.  For those with Direct TV Now, is there a good interface with a guide or some other way that you can "surf" what is on?

Looking to make the cord cutting move in the next month or so.  Looks like the DirectTV Now 'Go Big' package will have all the channels we're looking for plus some I currently don't have and I should save almost $100 per month.  

One thing that came up when I was talking to a guy at work was the concept of being able to channel surf.  For those with Direct TV Now, is there a good interface with a guide or some other way that you can "surf" what is on?
We tried Directv Now  a few months ago, and this is what I hated the most about it.  The guide was awful and difficult to navigate.

We tried Directv Now  a few months ago, and this is what I hated the most about it.  The guide was awful and difficult to navigate.
Yeah, DTVN doens’t let me channel surf aka that well, the way I sometimes like to on a lazy Saturday afternoon.  There’s a guide, and it works, but it’s a little clunky.  So, you can do it, but they need to speed up the guide to improve that part of the experience.  It hasn’t been enough to make me switch away, because I dont’ care that much, but it’s a little annoying. 

Thanks.  Yeah, I saw fubo, but it's got a few downsides, for instance it's already $5 more per month, and then if you want cloud dvr that's another $10.

I also saw reddit had a thread for streams but I can't find anything now for the life of me.  I suppose my search will continue.
Reddit soccer streams is in a grey area right now.  They claimed it was dead (I guess for legal reasons), then revived it, then I think killed it again.  I've never liked using those streams anyway - very unreliable.  Let us know what you end up doing for soccer. I probably watch way less than you, but find I'm pretty much covered through Hulu live and ESPN+ (which is $5/mo.)  I think FuboTV is an option, but not sure how much that costs or what it gets us.  I'm not able to watch everything I want, so am always looking for more options.  Replay is a must for me, as I can rarely watch live.

I actually view this as an underrated positive that comes with cord-cutting.  I almost never channel surf anymore.  If my television is on, its because there's something I've decided I want to watch.  There are times I want to watch a movie and I'll surf through Netflix and Prime looking for one, but I've got no need for a live TV guide anymore.  I did miss it for the first couple months, then realized I don't need it.

I don't find that to be the case at all. I think they changed it a "few" months ago. To me it is very similar to when I had cable.

Otis said:
Yeah, DTVN doens’t let me channel surf aka that well, the way I sometimes like to on a lazy Saturday afternoon.  There’s a guide, and it works, but it’s a little clunky.  So, you can do it, but they need to speed up the guide to improve that part of the experience.  It hasn’t been enough to make me switch away, because I dont’ care that much, but it’s a little annoying. 
I don't have any issues with the guide. 

I think the guide is fine and "channel surf" from time to time. I like that you can "favorite" channels and customize the guide to just show those channels.

A good reason to get an antenna is so you can channel surf the dozens of free OTA channels in your market. 

CletiusMaximus said:
Reddit soccer streams is in a grey area right now.  They claimed it was dead (I guess for legal reasons), then revived it, then I think killed it again.  I've never liked using those streams anyway - very unreliable.  Let us know what you end up doing for soccer. I probably watch way less than you, but find I'm pretty much covered through Hulu live and ESPN+ (which is $5/mo.)  I think FuboTV is an option, but not sure how much that costs or what it gets us.  I'm not able to watch everything I want, so am always looking for more options.  Replay is a must for me, as I can rarely watch live.
I have ESPN+ and Insider as part of the magazine subscription that I paid a total of $20 for four years. 

Otis said:
Same exact experience for us. We still like it though. 

We currently have Hulu Live along with no ads for $45 (which is not totally ad free depending on what you are streaming, but still worth it).  Received an email today that it is going up to $51 next month.  Understanding $6 is not a lot, but I am still pissed, especially with so many options now available.  I am considering DirecTV Now and have read comments in this thread about it, but has anyone here had both that can give a good comparison?

Users who are viewing this thread