Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recommended Posts

On 1/30/2019 at 10:14 AM, guru_007 said:

Well, I've finally done it too.  Been a cable subscriber for 18 years now, but with kids leaving the house, and this new internet thingy, I saw my last bill at $275.00 and said, we're done.

When I first signed up, I got the triple play or wtf it's called and it was like $150/month for home phone, cable (lots of channels + premiums) and internet. 

That seemed like a good deal.  But as we all have cell phones now, my home line hasn't worked in almost 4 years.  And after doing some digging around, here is my new setup

Internet only + netflix + youtube live subscription.  Fin.  It's now $125.00/month (i have the super gig internet which company pays for, so net $55/month)

I have firestick tv with terrarium tv build, but a bit scared to use - looking into VPN's.

Question 1 - what does every one do for sports?  Big soccer fan and I mean, I'll watch every league in the world - is there a build for the firestick that will help out here?

Question 2 - VPN like IPVAnish is totally worth the $5/month, right?  

 

You can get it cheaper than $5/month.  Do a search for discount codes.  I think I pay $3/month.  I’ve been using it for 2+ years and have been very happy.  Two months without cable so far and I love it.  Frontier charges me $68 for 100/100 service.  That’s all I pay for.  It’s freakin awesome and I’m finally free from the scam that is cable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if this has been posted already, I apologize. This is the best source I have seen to let you compare the streaming services and it updates daily.  Tons of info if you click around https://st

The day of reckoning is here for many! The NFL and Sony just announced the Sony VUE will have access to the NFL Network and REDZONE beginning this season. For the multitudes of people who ha

First over the air channels (OTA).  You can get, and maybe already do, all the local channels OTA in high definition.  You’ll also get more than you suspect if you haven’t tuned in to OTA for many yea

On 1/30/2019 at 9:14 AM, guru_007 said:

Well, I've finally done it too.  Been a cable subscriber for 18 years now, but with kids leaving the house, and this new internet thingy, I saw my last bill at $275.00 and said, we're done.

When I first signed up, I got the triple play or wtf it's called and it was like $150/month for home phone, cable (lots of channels + premiums) and internet. 

That seemed like a good deal.  But as we all have cell phones now, my home line hasn't worked in almost 4 years.  And after doing some digging around, here is my new setup

Internet only + netflix + youtube live subscription.  Fin.  It's now $125.00/month (i have the super gig internet which company pays for, so net $55/month)

I have firestick tv with terrarium tv build, but a bit scared to use - looking into VPN's.

Question 1 - what does every one do for sports?  Big soccer fan and I mean, I'll watch every league in the world - is there a build for the firestick that will help out here?

Question 2 - VPN like IPVAnish is totally worth the $5/month, right?  

 

YouTube tv should get you a decent amount of soccer. EPL on NBC, Bundesliga on Fox, MLS on Fox/ESPN, probably not too different than what you had access to via cable. 

If you don’t require ESPN then you should look at fubo instead of YouTube tv. Best streaming service bar none when it comes to soccer. https://www.fubo.tv/welcome/channels

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks.  Yeah, I saw fubo, but it's got a few downsides, for instance it's already $5 more per month, and then if you want cloud dvr that's another $10.

I also saw reddit had a thread for streams but I can't find anything now for the life of me.  I suppose my search will continue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Verizon Fios contract ending in 2 weeks, so tried Hulu live for a week.  We have a bunch of TVs (not all being used at one time) w 4 Kids and cell phones. Already paying for Netflix and Prime.  Have fire sticks and a few smart TVs, so I think I have the logistics in good shape.

I called Verizon and they said my internet only will be about $80 w/ router and taxes.  Fios offers teaser rate of like $40 for internet only.  I did a google search and I know Xfinity is around a similar price.  Where else are you getting internet cheaper?  I live in Suburban Philly, so I assume other alternatives work.

If that is the alternative then we save $40 per month, so cannot complain they much.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking to make the cord cutting move in the next month or so.  Looks like the DirectTV Now 'Go Big' package will have all the channels we're looking for plus some I currently don't have and I should save almost $100 per month.  

One thing that came up when I was talking to a guy at work was the concept of being able to channel surf.  For those with Direct TV Now, is there a good interface with a guide or some other way that you can "surf" what is on?

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

Looking to make the cord cutting move in the next month or so.  Looks like the DirectTV Now 'Go Big' package will have all the channels we're looking for plus some I currently don't have and I should save almost $100 per month.  

One thing that came up when I was talking to a guy at work was the concept of being able to channel surf.  For those with Direct TV Now, is there a good interface with a guide or some other way that you can "surf" what is on?

We tried Directv Now  a few months ago, and this is what I hated the most about it.  The guide was awful and difficult to navigate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, arrow1 said:

We tried Directv Now  a few months ago, and this is what I hated the most about it.  The guide was awful and difficult to navigate.

Yeah, DTVN doens’t let me channel surf aka that well, the way I sometimes like to on a lazy Saturday afternoon.  There’s a guide, and it works, but it’s a little clunky.  So, you can do it, but they need to speed up the guide to improve that part of the experience.  It hasn’t been enough to make me switch away, because I dont’ care that much, but it’s a little annoying. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2019 at 6:45 AM, guru_007 said:

Thanks.  Yeah, I saw fubo, but it's got a few downsides, for instance it's already $5 more per month, and then if you want cloud dvr that's another $10.

I also saw reddit had a thread for streams but I can't find anything now for the life of me.  I suppose my search will continue.

Reddit soccer streams is in a grey area right now.  They claimed it was dead (I guess for legal reasons), then revived it, then I think killed it again.  I've never liked using those streams anyway - very unreliable.  Let us know what you end up doing for soccer. I probably watch way less than you, but find I'm pretty much covered through Hulu live and ESPN+ (which is $5/mo.)  I think FuboTV is an option, but not sure how much that costs or what it gets us.  I'm not able to watch everything I want, so am always looking for more options.  Replay is a must for me, as I can rarely watch live.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2019 at 7:46 AM, Al Czervik said:

One thing that came up when I was talking to a guy at work was the concept of being able to channel surf.  For those with Direct TV Now, is there a good interface with a guide or some other way that you can "surf" what is on?

I actually view this as an underrated positive that comes with cord-cutting.  I almost never channel surf anymore.  If my television is on, its because there's something I've decided I want to watch.  There are times I want to watch a movie and I'll surf through Netflix and Prime looking for one, but I've got no need for a live TV guide anymore.  I did miss it for the first couple months, then realized I don't need it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2019 at 9:14 AM, arrow1 said:

We tried Directv Now  a few months ago, and this is what I hated the most about it.  The guide was awful and difficult to navigate.

I don't find that to be the case at all. I think they changed it a "few" months ago. To me it is very similar to when I had cable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Otis said:

Yeah, DTVN doens’t let me channel surf aka that well, the way I sometimes like to on a lazy Saturday afternoon.  There’s a guide, and it works, but it’s a little clunky.  So, you can do it, but they need to speed up the guide to improve that part of the experience.  It hasn’t been enough to make me switch away, because I dont’ care that much, but it’s a little annoying. 

I don't have any issues with the guide. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2019 at 8:46 AM, Al Czervik said:

Looking to make the cord cutting move in the next month or so.  Looks like the DirectTV Now 'Go Big' package will have all the channels we're looking for plus some I currently don't have and I should save almost $100 per month.  

One thing that came up when I was talking to a guy at work was the concept of being able to channel surf.  For those with Direct TV Now, is there a good interface with a guide or some other way that you can "surf" what is on?

I think the guide is fine and "channel surf" from time to time. I like that you can "favorite" channels and customize the guide to just show those channels.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2019 at 8:46 AM, Al Czervik said:

Looking to make the cord cutting move in the next month or so.  Looks like the DirectTV Now 'Go Big' package will have all the channels we're looking for plus some I currently don't have and I should save almost $100 per month.  

One thing that came up when I was talking to a guy at work was the concept of being able to channel surf.  For those with Direct TV Now, is there a good interface with a guide or some other way that you can "surf" what is on?

A good reason to get an antenna is so you can channel surf the dozens of free OTA channels in your market. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Reddit soccer streams is in a grey area right now.  They claimed it was dead (I guess for legal reasons), then revived it, then I think killed it again.  I've never liked using those streams anyway - very unreliable.  Let us know what you end up doing for soccer. I probably watch way less than you, but find I'm pretty much covered through Hulu live and ESPN+ (which is $5/mo.)  I think FuboTV is an option, but not sure how much that costs or what it gets us.  I'm not able to watch everything I want, so am always looking for more options.  Replay is a must for me, as I can rarely watch live.

I have ESPN+ and Insider as part of the magazine subscription that I paid a total of $20 for four years. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Otis said:

Yeah, DTVN doens’t let me channel surf aka that well, the way I sometimes like to on a lazy Saturday afternoon.  There’s a guide, and it works, but it’s a little clunky.  So, you can do it, but they need to speed up the guide to improve that part of the experience.  It hasn’t been enough to make me switch away, because I dont’ care that much, but it’s a little annoying. 

Same exact experience for us. We still like it though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We currently have Hulu Live along with no ads for $45 (which is not totally ad free depending on what you are streaming, but still worth it).  Received an email today that it is going up to $51 next month.  Understanding $6 is not a lot, but I am still pissed, especially with so many options now available.  I am considering DirecTV Now and have read comments in this thread about it, but has anyone here had both that can give a good comparison?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

I don't find that to be the case at all. I think they changed it a "few" months ago. To me it is very similar to when I had cable.

Yes, the guide on our cable system (WOW) is nothing special, so I don't think it will be a big deal.  Plus, DTV Now where we need to go as it is the best option to cover the channels that are "important" in our household (the Nickelodeon channels, HGTV, Food Network to name a few).

Going to get the free trial going in the next couple weeks.

Edited by Al Czervik
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2019 at 9:14 AM, SofaKings said:

Going to go youtube tv this week.  Roku the best?  I have a mammoth 40" Sony Wega from 2003(?), great pic but probably going to have to somehow(300#'s) get to the curb.

A month in and no regrets except for the Sony Wega gathering dust.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Verizon contract coming up and they are trying to increase..........looking at a better package from Cox or growing a pair to cut the cord. Anyone able to negotiate great deals to stay with the big guys or cutting the cord best option?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Verizon contract coming up and they are trying to increase..........looking at a better package from Cox or growing a pair to cut the cord. Anyone able to negotiate great deals to stay with the big guys or cutting the cord best option?

Cut it, you'll never go back.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Who did you go with and for internet do you stay with one of the big guys? What channels did you sacrifice just local?

Comcast is the only choice in my area. No contract, $75 for 100Mbps.  I get all my locals plus a bunch you'd never guess existed with an antenna.  Including several PBS channels. 

The streaming services are fine for all the other channels you'd regularly get with cable, you just have to compare lineup vs cost to pick which one is best for you.  But I don't pay for any of those I just use one of the streaming apps found in the Terrarium Thread and I get any movie or tv show that is available (already aired) for free.  

The only sport (that I'd need live tv for) that I watch regularly is NFL and you can always find streams on reddit for free.  There are cheap ways to get the NFL Ticket too if you wanted to without paying directv.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for those with Sling or similar -

I'm a current cable subscriber.  I have amazon fire units on my TV sets, and my wife watches programs on demand through TV channel apps on them (mainly history and the ID channels).  We have to log into those TV channel apps with our cable subscription log ins for them to work and us to be able to stream content.  Can we still use those apps if we drop cable and go with Sling or similar?

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Question for those with Sling or similar -

I'm a current cable subscriber.  I have amazon fire units on my TV sets, and my wife watches programs on demand through TV channel apps on them (mainly history and the ID channels).  We have to log into those TV channel apps with our cable subscription log ins for them to work and us to be able to stream content.  Can we still use those apps if we drop cable and go with Sling or similar?

Yes. I did that when I had sling, and I do it now with Playstation Vue. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We're making the switch from SlingTV plus Antenna to DirecTV Now.  The DirecTV Now (no dish...still just streaming) offers all of our local live channels.  It's nice not having to fight with our stupid antenna.

Two downsides I see so far though:  No NFL Redzone available (we'll address that later) and I'm not sure if they offer on demand programming.  Still playing with it.

 

But I'm thrilled that they offer good, local live channels without the antenna.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eoMMan said:

We're making the switch from SlingTV plus Antenna to DirecTV Now.  The DirecTV Now (no dish...still just streaming) offers all of our local live channels.  It's nice not having to fight with our stupid antenna.

Two downsides I see so far though:  No NFL Redzone available (we'll address that later) and I'm not sure if they offer on demand programming.  Still playing with it.

 

But I'm thrilled that they offer good, local live channels without the antenna.

They have a ton of on demand programming

At least on roku, you hit the down arrow once, go over to the magnifying glass and search for the name of the show.

Also don't forget to can log into a multitude of apps

Edited by JoeSteeler
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Im moving in a month and finally convinced the wife we're cutting fios and their $220+ bill and going to PSVue top package and still save $100 month. I have to pay early termination fee and it's still worth it. I can't wait. Only downside is ps vue doesn't offer MTV which my wife watches a lot of for some reason and WPIX which is a local channel that shows about 20 Yankee games a year. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the new free CBS Sports HQ app for Apple TV (I think it’s available for Roku as well, plus browser streaming). Sometimes I just want a live Sportscenter-like highlights show, like Sportscenter used to be a few years ago, when it was actually just sports highlights and not all commentary. In the times I’ve turned this new app on in the past few days, it seems to fill that void pretty well. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

Later this summer you can pay $10/mo for a 100hr dvr. 

Interesting how different people are looking for different things. The wife and I never use the DVR option. Ever. Always just did the on demand thingie.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, drunken slob said:

Anyone got recommendations for a non-cable/satellite DVR? Looked at a few on amazon, just want to see if some of you have one. 

I’m thinking about getting the Amazon Fire Recast because I have an antenna in my attic. The only thing is that most of the streaming services have local channels. Way more hours (and no expiration) though on the recast and helps if Internet is an issue or with # of streams.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, drunken slob said:

Anyone got recommendations for a non-cable/satellite DVR? Looked at a few on amazon, just want to see if some of you have one. 

Tivo.

It's expensive.... 'cause it's worth it. Most of what we watch is on the Tivo, recorded free from dozens of OTA channels. Only time I ever watch commercials is when we watch something on Playstation vue. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So we are about to get rid of cable.  Going to keep internet with Spectrum.  

We have netflix and were looking to get hulu.  I am under the impression hulu has pretty much any of the popular shows in the library.  How long does it take for new shows to pop up?  Say for example The Walking Dead or Chicago Fire and stuff like that?

Also, we considered doing some form of live TV, but we dont need many channels.  Are there any ala cart style where we can have maybe like 10-20 channels of our choosing?  Or even just a cheap basic package?

edit..Also, we aren't very tech savvy, so please don't recommend stuff that is complicated.  I was st my brother in laws last night, and he was showing me all this stuff with a firestick which made me want to  vomit at how many different things he had to click around on to watch or listen to what he wanted.  He said "oh this is super easy".  I disagreed.  I have no desire to learn how to do any of that. I would rather pay more for simplicity.

Edited by ghostguy123
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ghostguy123 said:

So we are about to get rid of cable.  Going to keep internet with Spectrum.  

We have netflix and were looking to get hulu.  I am under the impression hulu has pretty much any of the popular shows in the library.  How long does it take for new shows to pop up?  Say for example The Walking Dead or Chicago Fire and stuff like that?

Also, we considered doing some form of live TV, but we dont need many channels.  Are there any ala cart style where we can have maybe like 10-20 channels of our choosing?  Or even just a cheap basic package?

edit..Also, we aren't very tech savvy, so please don't recommend stuff that is complicated.  I was st my brother in laws last night, and he was showing me all this stuff with a firestick which made me want to  vomit at how many different things he had to click around on to watch or listen to what he wanted.  He said "oh this is super easy".  I disagreed.  I have no desire to learn how to do any of that. I would rather pay more for simplicity.

I love my fire stick. I haven’t cut Dish yet, still trying to figure out what I want to use, but we’ve got Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and HBO Go (free with AT&T cell plan). Really easy. I go to the app I want to watch find the show and done.  It has Alexa too if I want to search. It won’t matter once I cut Dish, but the fire stick will change the input when I hit the home button if the TV is on Dish. That’s TV dependent some of the older TVs may not have that HDMI controlling feature.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, drunken slob said:

Thanks @stbugs and @Politician Spock for the info. I saw both of the suggested items while doing a cursory look around and both caught my eye :thumbup:

:banned:

The TiVo one is interesting as it’s comparison to Fire TV Cube isn’t correct. I have one of those and they say it doesn’t have streaming apps or voice search and it does. I wonder if they are trying to compare the recast which is just the DVR. My only issue with TiVo is that it’s $249 for the box and then another $7 monthly or $249 for life. The recast is a one time buy and it’s been $50 or $70 off every special shopping time and no subscription cost at all. Since I have Fire TVs already I’ll stick with it. I assume it will be well integrated and I want less monthly charges.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2019 at 1:11 PM, shadyridr said:

DirecTV now is not an option in our house with their ridiculous 20 hour limit in dvr

I had no idea people still used DVR.  

Feel like last time that tech had value to me was in the mid 2000s

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, culdeus said:

I had no idea people still used DVR.  

Feel like last time that tech had value to me was in the mid 2000s

I'm not certain on this, but I think the main difference is commercials.  I can mark shows on Hulu Live that I want to keep for later viewing - for example all of my sports teams' games are held for a month or two for me to watch whenever, but it forces me to watch a few commercials.  I can still FF through halftime and such, but every once in a while am forced to watch a minute or two of commercials.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, culdeus said:

I had no idea people still used DVR.  

Feel like last time that tech had value to me was in the mid 2000s

Do you have kids? Way easier to quickly pull up a Doc McStuffins episode on the DVR than go to the on demand channel, navigate to "free on demand", then kids, then Disney junior, then the show you want, then choose the episode, then confirm you want to play it. 

I also DVR games all the time, especially during college football season. Pretty much every week I'll watch half or most of the primetime Sat night game, go to sleep, and then watch the rest early in the morning. 

Then you add in starting shows a bit after they air and FF through commercials. That's basically the rest of where the value is for me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

Do you have kids? Way easier to quickly pull up a Doc McStuffins episode on the DVR than go to the on demand channel, navigate to "free on demand", then kids, then Disney junior, then the show you want, then choose the episode, then confirm you want to play it. 

I also DVR games all the time, especially during college football season. Pretty much every week I'll watch half or most of the primetime Sat night game, go to sleep, and then watch the rest early in the morning. 

Then you add in starting shows a bit after they air and FF through commercials. That's basically the rest of where the value is for me.

Netflix just is easier.  Don't have young kids anymore so mine manage whatever they want.  Lately it's just YouTube which poses it's own challenges. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So what's everyone got? 

Hardware - every tv has a firestick. Family room tv also has a Nvidia Shield. Have an Amazon Recast hooked into RCA antenna https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024R4B5C/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 attached to an old DirecTV satellite mount. Get's me every available local channel crystal clear, much better than the flat antenna I had stuck to a window previously

*Netflix 

*Amazon Prime (don't view this as an additional fee, we've had Prime for years for shipping so the TV is an added bonus)

*Hulu - basic with commercials (free with Sprint)

*Area 51 IPTV

*Titanium (have tried Cinema, Morpheus, etc. Titanium works the easiest for us)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...