Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if this has been posted already, I apologize. This is the best source I have seen to let you compare the streaming services and it updates daily.  Tons of info if you click around https://st

The day of reckoning is here for many! The NFL and Sony just announced the Sony VUE will have access to the NFL Network and REDZONE beginning this season. For the multitudes of people who ha

First over the air channels (OTA).  You can get, and maybe already do, all the local channels OTA in high definition.  You’ll also get more than you suspect if you haven’t tuned in to OTA for many yea

On 3/24/2019 at 8:25 PM, KingPrawn said:

I had Spectrum and they offered me the same package. I think they called it Spectrum Choice. It was the local channels and your choice of 10 additional channels from a choice of about 30 channels. Wasn't a bad deal if you didn't need a lot channels. Tried it for about a month but the app was absolutely horrendous. It never loaded and crashed countlessly EVERY night. Was unwatchable and I cancelled after about 1 week. Called service and kept getting the "our engineers are working on it". After doing a little bit of searching on the internet it sounds like the problem was ongoing and their "engineers were working on it" for a couple of years. Wouldn't touch it if they paid me for it.

Started a Hulu trial.  Added Starz to their Hulu and Live TV package and am about $76 a month less than Cable.  Few stations but that's OK.  Setup from an Apple Computer was a snap.  I think I need one of the kids to navigate the Xbox set-up.  Probably spring for Fire Stick shortly

Link to post
Share on other sites

So Directv Now has an offer of the first month free.  This is for one of two packages that includes HBO - "Max" and "Plus".  So can I sign up for it, watch HBO free for the next month, and then cancel before the first charge hits? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Yes.

 

Sweet!  I've been using different email addresses to to "free one week  trials" of HBO now to rewatch all of GoT.  This seems much easier.

Edited by matttyl
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I had just dropped Hulu because they went up to $50 bucks a month.  I went with youtube tv and now find out today they are raising their price to $50.  Anyone have any suggestions on a streaming service that is remaining fairly cheap?  I have OTA channels for my locals also have Netflix and Amazon prime so really just need something to replace popular cable channels.  Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2019 at 2:28 PM, themeanmachine said:

I really like the new free CBS Sports HQ app for Apple TV (I think it’s available for Roku as well, plus browser streaming). Sometimes I just want a live Sportscenter-like highlights show, like Sportscenter used to be a few years ago, when it was actually just sports highlights and not all commentary. In the times I’ve turned this new app on in the past few days, it seems to fill that void pretty well. 

It also broadcast the Super Bowl for free.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rustycolts said:

I had just dropped Hulu because they went up to $50 bucks a month.  I went with youtube tv and now find out today they are raising their price to $50.  Anyone have any suggestions on a streaming service that is remaining fairly cheap?  I have OTA channels for my locals also have Netflix and Amazon prime so really just need something to replace popular cable channels.  Thanks.

For a bunch of channels I will never ever watch. Meet the new boss...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not paying for cable boxes and DVR fees is a step forward.  and the the additional fees and taxes on top of that.  I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for programming.  

Live in a rural area and picked up a discounted antennae that I placed near a TV on the second floor - pleased with the results.  Will look into a high quality antennae and consider an attic mount... Assume that would be preferable?  Hoping to pick up locals plus..  At worst, not a bad fail-safe in the event of a connectivity issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shadyridr said:

It's only a matter of time before they reach cable prices. I thought it was fairly obvious they were starting off cheap to capture customers. 

They have decades of evidence that people will pay... $80, 100, 150 a month to get their shows. 

At first they worried that Netflix would cut into that for $15 a month. 

Then they realized there's still $65, $85, $135 a month being left on the table. 

They're happy to keep expanding and adding services until they capture every dollar people are willing to spend. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, dorno said:

Philo. They have a $16 and a $20 package. 

Far and away the best service I've experienced. Think I've tried them all. Haven't experienced a single buffering and has nice DVR/VOD service. 

Obviously if need sports it might be an issue but DTV Now regularly offers free months to former customers if need access for NBA playoffs/NCAA tournament.

Right now I'm spending $18/mo for Philo/Hulu (paid $2 for year of access during promo late last year)/Pluto. Watching video on Youtube is my largest media viewing. Dropped DTV Now after the Viacom news.....appears they've add them back but they've already lost me after found Philo in the meantime. I'll probably add WWE Network and/or ESPN+ for a month here and there

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Just cancelled my spectrum cable finally.  Felt good.  Just keeping the internet, netfliz, basic hulu, and amazon prime. 

WHat might be the cheapest and easiest way for local channels?

Antenna?  If not, then we're in similar boats.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kanopy and Hoopla are two really nice free services for watching movies.

You have to sign up thru your local library but they offer a nice range of newer and older movies. They both have free Roku apps with a simple interface. Only drawback is you are limited to around 10 movies per month for each service. I guess you can get around that with multiple accounts.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

Just cancelled my spectrum cable finally.  Felt good.  Just keeping the internet, netfliz, basic hulu, and amazon prime. 

WHat might be the cheapest and easiest way for local channels?

Antenna is best.  If that doesn't work for you, you can look in to USTVNow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

Kanopy and Hoopla are two really nice free services for watching movies.

You have to sign up thru your local library but they offer a nice range of newer and older movies. They both have free Roku apps with a simple interface. Only drawback is you are limited to around 10 movies per month for each service. I guess you can get around that with multiple accounts.

How has the quality been?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tick said:

How has the quality been?

If you have Amazon Prime, the IMDB app has free movies and honestly it looked like the same only more. I went to those sites and the only movies I recognized were also on IMDB’s app. I thought it looked interesting until I realized it was the same or less. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Any suggestions on a good one to use?

It depends on his far you are from the local source feed.  I use this one on 2 different televisions and pick up 20 channels and it works great.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

It depends on his far you are from the local source feed.  I use this one on 2 different televisions and pick up 20 channels and it works great.

I was just looking at some on YouTube.  Clear stream and winegard seem interesting.

Basically I would want the best possible antenna that i dont have to mount on the roof and does not have to be on a window.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

I was just looking at some on YouTube.  Clear stream and winegard seem interesting.

Basically I would want the best possible antenna that i dont have to mount on the roof and does not have to be on a window.  

Both of mine are mounted to the wall behind each TV and they are close to windows, but not on them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Osaurus said:

Maybe 12 miles

I use a Mohu Leaf that lays flat,similar to what Osaurus provided a link to.  At 12 miles, If it comes with an amplifier, you may need to disconnect the amp (just unscrew), as the signal will be too strong and distorted. You may just need to try a couple different ones to see what works best for you.

Edited by Phil Elliott
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Osaurus said:

Both of mine are mounted to the wall behind each TV and they are close to windows, but not on them.

How far are you from the broadcasts?  Assume your walls are already in the general direction they need to be pointed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, stbugs said:

If you have Amazon Prime, the IMDB app has free movies and honestly it looked like the same only more. I went to those sites and the only movies I recognized were also on IMDB’s app. I thought it looked interesting until I realized it was the same or less. 

What's that now?  I have Amazon Prime, and two fire TV devices.  What's the IMDB app, and does that get me additional content than what comes with Prime anyway?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, matttyl said:

What's that now?  I have Amazon Prime, and two fire TV devices.  What's the IMDB app, and does that get me additional content than what comes with Prime anyway?

actually called IMDB Freedive. It is ad supported on demand programming free if you have a Prime account. From what I have seen it has different content then Prime.

https://www.imdb.com/freedive/

What Is IMDb Freedive?

 

Edited by JoeSteeler
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Ned said:

How far are you from the broadcasts?  Assume your walls are already in the general direction they need to be pointed?

12 miles.  Here’s mine.  It’s pretty much what I thought :lol:  Got chopped off a little, but 18 out of 20 are good.

Edited by Osaurus
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

According to this website

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

I have weak or no signal from 6 of the 8 feeds in my area.

I assume I'm screwed

I am 40 miles from towers and I get 60 channels ota.  I use an outside antenna I think it's 20 feet high.  Of course Fl is flat so that helps.  Maybe try an outside antenna?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

I am 40 miles from towers and I get 60 channels ota.  I use an outside antenna I think it's 20 feet high.  Of course Fl is flat so that helps.  Maybe try an outside antenna?

 

Hmm.. That's interesting

Mountainous here though, I may have to look into it more

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, matttyl said:

What's that now?  I have Amazon Prime, and two fire TV devices.  What's the IMDB app, and does that get me additional content than what comes with Prime anyway?

It just appeared. Here’s some info: https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/imdb-streaming-service-amazon-fire-tv/amp/

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Hmm.. That's interesting

Mountainous here though, I may have to look into it more

That's the killer.  I'm trying to find the site I used that gave me topographic information.  Basically my issue wasn't distance, but rather the fact that there are mountains between the tower and my house.  Line of site and all that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matttyl said:

That's the killer.  I'm trying to find the site I used that gave me topographic information.  Basically my issue wasn't distance, but rather the fact that there are mountains between the tower and my house.  Line of site and all that.

Right.

Mountainous and several feeds are 50-60 miles away from me

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Right.

Mountainous and several feeds are 50-60 miles away from me

Same issue here.  Maybe we're neighbors. 

I actually have this antenna (or that company's prior version of it), but in order to get my "locals" I'd have to have it above my roofline, run coax cables from it to all the TVs in the house, and likely have to get signals boosters and powered splitters and stuff to get the four big networks.  So I'm still with cable at the moment. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, B Maverick said:

Reports of Disney + being released in Nov for 6.99/mo.  They even reported there may be a bundle package that includes Hulu, Disney + and ESPN + (no pricing on that yet).

here is more info

https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-plus-release-date-shows-movies-to-expect-streaming-service-avengers-star-wars/

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been with DirecTVNow since inception at $35/mo.  They said our price wouldn't go up.  Then they bumped it up $5.  Now they are bumping it another $10 to make it $50/mo.  I chose them to get the locked in price I thought for life, and get away from the bill bloat I was getting from Dish Network.

Strongly considering cancelling DirecTVNow.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Teddy Stickles said:

I've been with DirecTVNow since inception at $35/mo.  They said our price wouldn't go up.  Then they bumped it up $5.  Now they are bumping it another $10 to make it $50/mo.  I chose them to get the locked in price I thought for life, and get away from the bill bloat I was getting from Dish Network.

Strongly considering cancelling DirecTVNow.  

I was just going to post the same.   

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just hooked up the clearstream thing that cost like 40 bucks and says has a 50 mile range.  Got 6 channels in one spot and 13 on the window on east side of the house. 

I live about 35 miles east of cleveland.  

I better find a spot that gets a lot more than that.  About to try my bedroom in southwest corner of house, window faces south.  It does say that it doesn't matter which direction it faces though

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Teddy Stickles said:

I've been with DirecTVNow since inception at $35/mo.  They said our price wouldn't go up.  Then they bumped it up $5.  Now they are bumping it another $10 to make it $50/mo.  I chose them to get the locked in price I thought for life, and get away from the bill bloat I was getting from Dish Network.

Strongly considering cancelling DirecTVNow.  

At this point I think I am just holding out for the Disney+ service packaging with ESPN+ and Hulu.  Depending on the price.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think my biggest impediment is the lack of internet choices in my town. If you want internet you’ve gotta have Comcast. So no sweetheart 50/month deals with Fios to really cut costs. Cheapest internet only packages are still going to run you in the 75ish range for decent speed. Tack on another 40-50 for a live streaming service and I’m 25 bucks away from being back to square one on the “call and threaten to cancel” game each year. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...