What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (2 Viewers)

It depends on his far you are from the local source feed.  I use this one on 2 different televisions and pick up 20 channels and it works great.
I was just looking at some on YouTube.  Clear stream and winegard seem interesting.

Basically I would want the best possible antenna that i dont have to mount on the roof and does not have to be on a window.  

I was just looking at some on YouTube.  Clear stream and winegard seem interesting.

Basically I would want the best possible antenna that i dont have to mount on the roof and does not have to be on a window.  
Both of mine are mounted to the wall behind each TV and they are close to windows, but not on them.

Maybe 12 miles
I use a Mohu Leaf that lays flat,similar to what Osaurus provided a link to.  At 12 miles, If it comes with an amplifier, you may need to disconnect the amp (just unscrew), as the signal will be too strong and distorted. You may just need to try a couple different ones to see what works best for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Osaurus said:
Both of mine are mounted to the wall behind each TV and they are close to windows, but not on them.
How far are you from the broadcasts?  Assume your walls are already in the general direction they need to be pointed?

stbugs said:
If you have Amazon Prime, the IMDB app has free movies and honestly it looked like the same only more. I went to those sites and the only movies I recognized were also on IMDB’s app. I thought it looked interesting until I realized it was the same or less. 
What's that now?  I have Amazon Prime, and two fire TV devices.  What's the IMDB app, and does that get me additional content than what comes with Prime anyway?

What's that now?  I have Amazon Prime, and two fire TV devices.  What's the IMDB app, and does that get me additional content than what comes with Prime anyway?
actually called IMDB Freedive. It is ad supported on demand programming free if you have a Prime account. From what I have seen it has different content then Prime.

https://www.imdb.com/freedive/

What Is IMDb Freedive?

Hmm.. That's interesting

Mountainous here though, I may have to look into it more
That's the killer.  I'm trying to find the site I used that gave me topographic information.  Basically my issue wasn't distance, but rather the fact that there are mountains between the tower and my house.  Line of site and all that.

Reports of Disney + being released in Nov for 6.99/mo.  They even reported there may be a bundle package that includes Hulu, Disney + and ESPN + (no pricing on that yet).

That's the killer.  I'm trying to find the site I used that gave me topographic information.  Basically my issue wasn't distance, but rather the fact that there are mountains between the tower and my house.  Line of site and all that.
Right.

Mountainous and several feeds are 50-60 miles away from me

Right.

Mountainous and several feeds are 50-60 miles away from me
Same issue here.  Maybe we're neighbors. 

I actually have this antenna (or that company's prior version of it), but in order to get my "locals" I'd have to have it above my roofline, run coax cables from it to all the TVs in the house, and likely have to get signals boosters and powered splitters and stuff to get the four big networks.  So I'm still with cable at the moment. 

Just got an email to beta test a new hardware box for DirecTV Now. Signed up. Hope I’m selected, looks interesting. 

I've been with DirecTVNow since inception at $35/mo.  They said our price wouldn't go up.  Then they bumped it up $5.  Now they are bumping it another $10 to make it $50/mo.  I chose them to get the locked in price I thought for life, and get away from the bill bloat I was getting from Dish Network.

Strongly considering cancelling DirecTVNow.  

I've been with DirecTVNow since inception at $35/mo.  They said our price wouldn't go up.  Then they bumped it up $5.  Now they are bumping it another $10 to make it $50/mo.  I chose them to get the locked in price I thought for life, and get away from the bill bloat I was getting from Dish Network.

I was just going to post the same.   

Just hooked up the clearstream thing that cost like 40 bucks and says has a 50 mile range.  Got 6 channels in one spot and 13 on the window on east side of the house. 

I live about 35 miles east of cleveland.  

I better find a spot that gets a lot more than that.  About to try my bedroom in southwest corner of house, window faces south.  It does say that it doesn't matter which direction it faces though

At this point I think I am just holding out for the Disney+ service packaging with ESPN+ and Hulu.  Depending on the price.

I think my biggest impediment is the lack of internet choices in my town. If you want internet you’ve gotta have Comcast. So no sweetheart 50/month deals with Fios to really cut costs. Cheapest internet only packages are still going to run you in the 75ish range for decent speed. Tack on another 40-50 for a live streaming service and I’m 25 bucks away from being back to square one on the “call and threaten to cancel” game each year. 

So want to cancel internet and cable and just use my phone.  Just wondering if chromecast or any other device is available to use with your phone to connect to the tv to stream shows?

Was misleading by them. For whatever reason at the time I read the terms and conditions and remember it saying "offer price subject to change" so wasn't shocked at all.

Currently doing one month free trial on DTV Now (return offer that I have no intention of continuing) and Philo. Philo blows it out of the water in terms of quality., seamless navigation and unlimited DVR. Even if both were the same price (Philo is $30-something cheaper), I'd go with Philo. 

I don’t understand people expecting a price for a good or service to never change. That’s now how the world works. Everything becomes more expensive over time. 

I don’t understand people expecting a price for a good or service to never change. That’s now how the world works. Everything becomes more expensive over time. 
That's not true but whatever. I think the issue is that these streaming services are basically the same product. The overall customer experience is miles better imo, but it's just a package of channels that are dictated to you with little to no a la carte options. Bill creep is another thing people hated about cable and these services appear to be not much different in that regard. They aren't much of a game changer anymore, just a step in the right direction. It's an interesting time to be alive. The internet feels like it's been around forever but in the grand scheme of things it's brand new. We still have a lot to figure out. 

Would it be impossible for someone to offer a reverse-Philo service? If they could get all of the sports channels together, I'd rather pay 35-40 bucks/month for that instead of $50 for YTTV or whatever. I have zero use for the rest of the channels. Maybe the sports channels are so expensive that once you get them all together you're looking at $50ish anyhow.  

Not everything gets more expensive. In this case, If DTVN had some decent added functionality it might be accepted, but they are in a competitive environment with other options. It seems the wrong time to be increasing prices, offering less channels and limited “DVR” capability. Maybe it is still acceptable if you get a discount thru AT&T mobile account. At $50, thats over 40% increase in about 9 months from the $35 rate. They can charge what ever they want but at that cost they are now probably the least favorable streaming option and losing subscribers.

Everything becomes more expensive over time.
Right.  Computers, TV's, tablets, basically every technology has become less expensive over time.  Maybe cell phones are the exception but that's simply because people are stupid.

It's kind of ridiculous that Youtube TV unilaterally decided they are going to add certain channels and bump up the price, that is really what rubs me the wrong way right now.  

And to be honest, you would THINK that with the increased competition out there between cable/hulu/youtube, et al, that one of these firms would be able to put the screws to the other and offer discounted bundled services which undercuts the competition and drives subscriber base up.

Everyone up in here reeeaally needs to land themselves a good hobby. Like the guitar. Or stamps. Or fantasy football. Something. :bag:

(Me, too. Thanks for all the info.)

Trey said:
I think my biggest impediment is the lack of internet choices in my town. If you want internet you’ve gotta have Comcast. So no sweetheart 50/month deals with Fios to really cut costs. Cheapest internet only packages are still going to run you in the 75ish range for decent speed. Tack on another 40-50 for a live streaming service and I’m 25 bucks away from being back to square one on the “call and threaten to cancel” game each year. 
Same here

I only have one internet provider choice in my neck of the woods, too. And, an OTA antenna's not an option due to geography.

It's cheaper for me to get a bundle than it is internet only, so I have: a landline which I don't even have a phone plugged into and have no clue what the number is, a basic TV package with just the networks affiliates and a couple of oddballs like The Weather channel (maybe 10 total channels), and my internet (400 GB cap). To just get internet only, it would cost me about $30 more per month.

Anyone know the solution to this problem. I have googled this and see other people have same issue. I have a tcl Roku tv and the ESPN app which used to work perfectly fine now will not get a clear HD picture. Every other app is fine except ESPN. Has anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it. 

Anyone know the solution to this problem. I have googled this and see other people have same issue. I have a tcl Roku tv and the ESPN app which used to work perfectly fine now will not get a clear HD picture. Every other app is fine except ESPN. Has anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it. 
havent heard of this. have you tried deleting and reinstalling the app?

I have a roku tv and will see how mine looks

$25/month is a lot of money for most people.  Plus no strings attached.  Plus the principle of strings and rate hikes and taxes and antiquated technology.

Same here. Comcast is the only game in town. Downgrading to a comparable internet only package is over $100 with taxes and router rental. Add in a comparable streaming package and I’m saving about $30 a month tops. Not bad but not sure it’s worth it for the downgrade in picture quality and DVR functionality. If I can figure out how to keep my same speed and channel count and save $70-$100 a month it becomes a no brainer.

Hi, Andrew here, CEO of Philo.

I wanted to let you know about an upcoming change to Philo and explain some of the thinking behind it. Starting May 6, we will move to only offering our $20 package to new subscribers. If you're a current subscriber or subscribe before that date, then nothing will change — you'll continue to have the same package and price options you have today.

At Philo, we care deeply about creating the best TV experience possible at an affordable price. Since we launched 18 months ago, most of the other companies in our space have raised their prices, in some cases multiple times. We didn't want to do that. Still, when we looked at all of the costs of operating Philo — which increase over time — consolidating into a single $20 package was the best way for us to maintain the same offering we have today without raising prices for everyone, or having to cut back in places we strive to excel, like our customer support.

Again, nothing is changing for anyone who has already subscribed by May 6 — you will keep the package you have and will continue to be able to switch between our two existing packages. On behalf of the team at Philo, I want to thank you for watching with us.
Sounds like their $16 package is going away.  If anyone was thinking about that package, sounds like you have a couple weeks to get in and get grandfathered in to keeping it.

Sounds like their $16 package is going away.  If anyone was thinking about that package, sounds like you have a couple weeks to get in and get grandfathered in to keeping it.
I keep thinking about this route, but the wife likes E! and "needs to have local channels".  Any other options out there?  We use DTNow, but not liking the recent price hike.  Need to find some alternatives that aren't $50+/mth.

Disclaimer - already have IPTV for sports, but the wife doesn't like to use/watch it.  She wants something "easier" to use.

I keep thinking about this route, but the wife likes E! and "needs to have local channels".  Any other options out there?  We use DTNow, but not liking the recent price hike.  Need to find some alternatives that aren't $50+/mth.

Disclaimer - already have IPTV for sports, but the wife doesn't like to use/watch it.  She wants something "easier" to use.
sling blue + an OTA?

sling blue + an OTA?
We have an OTA, but the signal is weak.  Considered going for an exterior antennae, but not there yet.  I'm using an interior antennae with a booster, but it's hit or miss on reception, which is what drove us (her) to wanting DTN.

Users who are viewing this thread