What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (6 Viewers)

I'd been with DirecTV since 2002.  I was paying around $100 with all my credits that recently expired and my bill went up to $150...which is insane, since I didn't even have any movie channels.  The charges were ridiculous.  $20 for hd on 2 receivers, $8 for regional sports, $7 for tv access?  WTH is that lol

I tried free trials of Hulu+live and Sling.  Ended up going with Sling Orange+Blue with the total tv deal.  Which includes golf channel...a must for me, redzone(NFL is in the blue package), MLB, NBA, NHL, some kids channels, DIY, 50 hours for recordings)  Also bought a $25 antenna for the locals.  Only thing I'm missing is STO to watch the Indians.  Bill is $62

Another bonus for me was clearing out equipment.  I still have a 10 year old non smart plasma tv.  So I messed around with my kids Xbox one that I previously had never touched.  I had no clue this thing pretty much did everything lol.  Now I just have my home theater receiver and the Xbox.

Double bonus....I got Amazon prime 4-5 years ago mainly for the free shipping and music.  Other than getting a free HBO trial to binge a few seasons of GOT, I rarely used it.  Recently watched The Boys and the 1st seasons of Sneaky Pete and Goliath.  I have plenty to watch now haha

I can't remember the site, but if you Google sling vs Hulu etc...it has an up to date list of channels available on each streaming service.
Sorry, dont mean to laugh but they dont even make standard definition TV anymore.  :lmao:

ETA: I pass everything through my xbox, including my HTPC. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, have at D TV for about 6 years.   Haven't been in this thread.   We have ROKU.   What's the best thing for me to do if I want Red Zone and HBO?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some honest feedback on Sling TV. The wife and I just bought a small house near a lake for summer vacation and winter skiing, etc.....we have Xfiniti in our main home and I like it so I'm keeping it the way it is there. However, as XFINITI is expensive, I'm looking for a cheaper way to get some channels and more importantly the sport channels like ESPN, NFL Network and Redzone for that new house. Since we will only be using this house once in a while, I don't want to spend the money there as I spent on XFIniti in my main home.

I'm leaning towards Sling TV and for 35 bucks a month, I can have NFL network and redzone. Any feedback from people using Sling would be great. thanks guys.

Sasgaard said:
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some honest feedback on Sling TV. The wife and I just bought a small house near a lake for summer vacation and winter skiing, etc.....we have Xfiniti in our main home and I like it so I'm keeping it the way it is there. However, as XFINITI is expensive, I'm looking for a cheaper way to get some channels and more importantly the sport channels like ESPN, NFL Network and Redzone for that new house. Since we will only be using this house once in a while, I don't want to spend the money there as I spent on XFIniti in my main home.

I'm leaning towards Sling TV and for 35 bucks a month, I can have NFL network and redzone. Any feedback from people using Sling would be great. thanks guys.
If you already have xfinity just buy a roku stick, download the xfinity app and stream your service through that.

If you already have xfinity just buy a roku stick, download the xfinity app and stream your service through that.
I thought that Xfiniti forces you to be on your home wifi for many channels including NFL network and although you have an XFiniti subscription, if you are not on your home wifi, these channels will be blocked. Does a roku stick removes this issue?

I thought that Xfiniti forces you to be on your home wifi for many channels including NFL network and although you have an XFiniti subscription, if you are not on your home wifi, these channels will be blocked. Does a roku stick removes this issue?
Don't know. I haven't had that problem but my plan might be different?  Can tou watch on your phone or is it limited as you describe?

Don't know. I haven't had that problem but my plan might be different?  Can tou watch on your phone or is it limited as you describe?
yeah, if I'm outside of my home, I can only watch the regular channels and also can access the recordings and purchases that are on my DVR but all the additional channels like NFL network, HBO, etc.....are blocked if I'm not on my home wifi. So I don't think Roku is the solution here.

I still haven't heard anyone with feedback on Sling TV? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

yeah, if I'm outside of my home, I can only watch the regular channels and also can access the recordings and purchases that are on my DVR but all the additional channels like NFL network, HBO, etc.....are blocked if I'm not on my home wifi. So I don't think Roku is the solution here.

I still haven't heard anyone with feedback on Sling TV? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
My brother has sling though I'm not sure of the specifics.  He loves it.  Many here have suggested it as an option too.  I'd say it's worth exploring how to get the functionality that I have.  I don't know what you pay now, but ours is $120 for internet and 200 channels of TV....150 Mbs speed.  That plan allows me to watch from wherever I want to on any device that has the streaming app on it.

Anyone know why cbs doesn’t have CBS sports network app or allow it to be watched on the CBS sports hq app. I can watch it on phone and iPad app but Apple TV and Roku apps do not include the CBS sports network stream. 

Seriously, take all the problems I have with Xfinity to the Comcast non-cut the cable thread.  :lmao:

It's like when all the Eagles fans insist on posting in the Cowboys thread. 

Sasgaard said:
Hey guys,

I tried Sling Blue and Orange and it didn't have Fox regional sports channels and only news network is CNN. So when NBC would put a soccer match on CNBC I was hosed.  Need antenna for local channels. Friendly interface.

Wish I could get the Sunday Ticket but the app tells me I can’t get it in my area despite that I have DirecTVNow. 

I’ve been comparing the NFL GamePass app (US) to to the International version. The US version is a hot mess and lacks a boatload of features (RZC in particular plus locally blacked out games and those on other apps like CBS whatever) that the International version has. Totally worth your time/effort to get the International version imo.

I’ve been comparing the NFL GamePass app (US) to to the International version. The US version is a hot mess and lacks a boatload of features (RZC in particular plus locally blacked out games and those on other apps like CBS whatever) that the International version has. Totally worth your time/effort to get the International version imo.
How does one do that?

How does one do that?
1. You have to get the app from the Google/Apple international app library.

2. Figure out the country with the cheapest service

3. Sign up with NFL and use an address from chosen country

4. Pay for service

5. Sign into VPN (you need this) and pick the country before opening GamePass International app

6. Open app and cast to your heart’s delight (depending on how you cast, you might need the VPN app on device you’re streaming to)

Nflbite dot com. Click your team's helmet at game time. Pick which stream you want. 
Nice. Looks like a good website. Have you used it in the past? Are the streams good quality or do they not work/time out? I've been looking for a site like this....

I currently play $179.00 for Internet and Xfininty cable. The cable includes Starz, but no premium channels like HBO or Showtime.

I would love to leave cable with Xfinity, but want all the bells and whistles if I can get them.

I don't pay for, but have access to Nextflix and Amazon Prime so that's a good start. From there, I need my local sports for baseball and need TNT/NFL Channel and the local stations (NBC, FOX, CBS). I don't need a ton outside of that, but obviously want as much as I can get.

What's the best way to go about finding the best service that lowers my overall bill but gets more value?

Nice. Looks like a good website. Have you used it in the past? Are the streams good quality or do they not work/time out? I've been looking for a site like this....
Its new this year. It's all the same streams you can find on reddit. The same guys set it up in anticipation of the reddit thread getting taken down like the NBA and UFC ones did. 

I currently play $179.00 for Internet and Xfininty cable. The cable includes Starz, but no premium channels like HBO or Showtime.

I would love to leave cable with Xfinity, but want all the bells and whistles if I can get them.

I don't pay for, but have access to Nextflix and Amazon Prime so that's a good start. From there, I need my local sports for baseball and need TNT/NFL Channel and the local stations (NBC, FOX, CBS). I don't need a ton outside of that, but obviously want as much as I can get.

What's the best way to go about finding the best service that lowers my overall bill but gets more value?
I pay $0 for cable TV and I can watch whatever I want. 

1- OTA antenna picks up live locals and a bunch more. 

2- Cinema android app for TV shows and movies. The most popular shows are usually available within an hour after air time. 

3- reddit or nflbite for live NFL.   

tonydead said:
I pay $0 for cable TV and I can watch whatever I want. 

1- OTA antenna picks up live locals and a bunch more. 

2- Cinema android app for TV shows and movies. The most popular shows are usually available within an hour after air time. 

3- reddit or nflbite for live NFL.   
What is the name of that app? I can download this app on my android?

Any OTA antenna you recommend?

thanks, does this give yo hbo for free? what shows are do you get with it? 
Yep anything really that has been or is currently on just search name of show.  I'm watching Game of Thrones now I'm a late comer to that show.

You can also view just about any movie you can think of.  I use Cinema more than Netflix or YoutubeTv.  Actually you can watch anything that is on Netflix on Cinema

What is the name of that app? I can download this app on my android?

Any OTA antenna you recommend?
Depends on where you are and how strong the signals are. Use tvfool.com to check your signal and it will recommend a type of antenna. If you only need an indoor antenna a lot of people like the Mohu Leaf products. I'm a bit far aways so I went with the best roof mount, Winegard HD8200. 

thanks, does this give yo hbo for free? what shows are do you get with it? 
Any popular TV show that has already aired, including Netflix HBO etc.  Any movie that is out on DVD or leaked ahead of time.  

Yep anything really that has been or is currently on just search name of show.  I'm watching Game of Thrones now I'm a late comer to that show.

You can also view just about any movie you can think of.  I use Cinema more than Netflix or YoutubeTv.  Actually you can watch anything that is on Netflix on Cinema
I use Cinema for stuff on Prime because I usually dont realize what platform it is from until I've already fired up the episode. 

Reddit stream is watchable on computer only? I connected to the tv with an HDMI, but got no signal. It usually swaps automatically

NFLbite wants me to sign up. Legit?

thx
Where does it ask you to sign up, after you click on a stream play button?  If so, that's just a redirect pop up, close that and go back to the play button. You dont have to sign up for anything. 

Either should play fine in a browser on any device.  

On a chromebook, the first Reddit stream is good to go. Same for nflbite after bypassing that popup. Any suggestions on porting to the tv?

On a chromebook, the first Reddit stream is good to go. Same for nflbite after bypassing that popup. Any suggestions on porting to the tv?
I use my HTPC or Firestick already connected to the TV. Not sure what outputs the chromebooks have but something like a mini hdmi to hdmi cable would work. I'm not familiar with how to chromecast, but, I hear people say they do that. 

I use my HTPC or Firestick already connected to the TV. Not sure what outputs the chromebooks have but something like a mini hdmi to hdmi cable would work. I'm not familiar with how to chromecast, but, I hear people say they do that. 
No HTPC, but when I tried my firestick earlier, using the Downloader App, selecting the helmet in nflbite, got me nothing, Are you accessing it differently?

No HTPC, but when I tried my firestick earlier, using the Downloader App, selecting the helmet in nflbite, got me nothing, Are you accessing it differently?
Download a browser like firefox from the Amazon store.  Go to nflbite.com in the browser. Downloader isn't a fully functional browser, I dont think.  

ETA: I think I've even used Silk (Amazons browser) before. 

I just tried the Silk browser and was able to get a reddit stream to work. It's a bit of a pain to get past the pop ups. 

Note: the nflbite stream links disappear shortly after half time so you'll have to get on before then.  

Need an I'm addicted and will never cut the cable thread. 

I've got DirecTV Xtra with HBO, Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, DC Universe, and will be adding Disney +.

It all adds up but I don't mind paying for entertainment.

I'm on DirecTVNow/ATTNow.  Any way I can get the Red Zone channel?  I see it's not on here.  Is there an app or something?  Hell, I'd pay for the full NFL Sunday Ticket, but the website says it's not available over the app in my area.  Super annoying.

Any legal/full pay options for me?

Any free options?

TIA

I'm on DirecTVNow/ATTNow.  Any way I can get the Red Zone channel?  I see it's not on here.  Is there an app or something?  Hell, I'd pay for the full NFL Sunday Ticket, but the website says it's not available over the app in my area.  Super annoying.

Any free options?

TIA
NFL GamePass International has it as do a couple of other non-NFL services. Reddit might have it somewhere too, but I don’t know.

Any free options?

TIA
1-  Put a giant antiquated satellite dish on your roof so you can pay Directv.  (It is super annoying that Directv is doing everything it can to keep people on this old monopolistic technology).

2-  Sling TV, FuboTV, and Playstation Vue have Red Zone. (For 34.99 a month for 4 months ($140) you could get NFL Network and RedZone from Sling TV.  Plus the other channels the package comes with.)

3-  Find someone in college to lend you their credentials. (NFL Ticket for around $100)

4- VPN your IP address outside of North America and buy it directly from NFL.com (Full NFL Ticket without any of the North America restrictions for around $130-$140).

5- Stream for free from reddit or nflbite.  (Free, free, free,  :moneybag: )

Legality of the 5 choices above:

1- Illegal.  By definition a monopoly is when a company has exclusive control over a good or service in a particular market.  In North America, Directv is the only choice for NFL Sunday Ticket.

2- Perfectly legal as far as I can tell.

3- I'm sure it violates some of the terms and agreements, but, see #1.

4- I don't think there is anything illegal about doing it this way.  The NFL still gets their cut and they accept your credit card that has a US address attached to it.  I think the NFL is happy to have this loophole in the contract they have with Directv.

5- 50-50.  To date it is not illegal to watch a stream and no case law exists where anyone has ever been prosecuted.  There is little doubt, however, that the websites that broadcast the streams are illegal.  

Need an I'm addicted and will never cut the cable thread. 

I've got DirecTV Xtra with HBO, Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, DC Universe, and will be adding Disney +.

It all adds up but I don't mind paying for entertainment.
You know there is already, I'm assuming you came to post this just to make yourself feel better?  

Can't log in to Directv.

Zero effort made to keep me

They even made it a bigger hassle

My saga continues

Based on these stories, and other reasons, I'll be cancelling my DirecTV later this year

I'm going to have a controlled burn around my dish and get rid of it that way.

Satellite not working

Packing up all my equipment and sending it back today

Still can't redeem my GC

Will also be glad when the ST contract runs out for these clowns

I did end up dropping direc tv due to all their nonsense
:lol:   Comments just from the last page alone.  Horrible and completely unnecessary experience.  

1-  Put a giant antiquated satellite dish on your roof so you can pay Directv.  (It is super annoying that Directv is doing everything it can to keep people on this old monopolistic technology).

2-  Sling TV, FuboTV, and Playstation Vue have Red Zone. (For 34.99 a month for 4 months ($140) you could get NFL Network and RedZone from Sling TV.  Plus the other channels the package comes with.)

3-  Find someone in college to lend you their credentials. (NFL Ticket for around $100)

4- VPN your IP address outside of North America and buy it directly from NFL.com (Full NFL Ticket without any of the North America restrictions for around $130-$140).

5- Stream for free from reddit or nflbite.  (Free, free, free,  :moneybag: )
My favorite option (other than SFU)

Do you have Amazon Prime? I switched to Hulu but I have Prime so I knew I could watch the game on Prime.
No, we don’t. I looked at that possibility but didn’t want to spend the dough.

Ended up signing up for the trial period of Sling and paid for a month. Been wanting to check it out anyway to compare to hulu, so it cost me $25 for the test.

Users who are viewing this thread