What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (1 Viewer)

Man the streaming world has changed so much over the last couple of years. I'd been using Sling and OTA antennas for the last 6 years. 

Been pretty happy with it, so I ignored the landscape over the last few years, but Sling raised it's price, and the local CBS tower is being rebuilt and acting up (right at the start of football season).

I think I'd be plenty happy with any of the major streamers, but went with YouTubeTV. So awesome. Heck I really didn't even know that locals had become the norm on the major streamers. And it took about 3 clicks to set up the unlimited DVR to record all the NFL and sports I may want watch (I haven't had any DVR at all in 6 years).

But the very best part of streaming services.......after 6 years, it took less than 5 minutes to cancel Sling. For the rest of my life, I'm going to everything I can to avoid any arrangement that requires talking to a human being to get out of. I remember the days of dealing with DirecTV and cable companies trying end or adjust contracts. So miserable. 

Been following along in here for a while, finally got rid of directv. Have a Firestick for each tv in the house, each have cinema, Netflix,  and I have been casting nflbite site the last two weeks. I have YouTube tv trial.  I am looking to get a quick, easy Kodi style install for live tv/sports/ticket etc. I’ve done Kodi and it was a pain to set up and explain to my wife and kids.  I know troypoint has a bunch listed but  Is there a recommended .apk ?? App that:

is easy to install (cinema easy)

can work on multiple firesticks

easy guide for kids/wife

has live sports/nfl/yes/ncaa b-ball

i dont mind paying a monthly fee if it’s easy to use  and has minimal buffering  

Last edited by a moderator:
Been following along in here for a while, finally got rid of directv. Have a Firestick for each tv in the house, each have cinema, Netflix,  and I have been casting nflbite site the last two weeks. I have YouTube tv trial.  I am looking to get a quick, easy Kodi style install for live tv/sports/ticket etc. I’ve done Kodi and it was a pain to set up and explain to my wife and kids.  I know troypoint has a bunch listed but  Is there a recommended .apk ?? App that:

is easy to install (cinema easy)

can work on multiple firesticks

easy guide for kids/wife

has live sports/nfl/yes/ncaa b-ball

i dont mind paying a monthly fee if it’s easy to use  and has minimal buffering  
Check the Terrarium TV thread.  Lots of info in there.

The wife and daughter seem ready to switch.  i am going to go with the following group:

Youtubetv, Netflix, Disney+, ESPN+.

The only hole I have appears to be PBS.  what is the best way for my wife to watch her pbs shows?  Antennas do not work great where I live.

The wife and daughter seem ready to switch.  i am going to go with the following group:

The only hole I have appears to be PBS.  what is the best way for my wife to watch her pbs shows?  Antennas do not work great where I live.
PBS has an app that I tried on my firestick a long time ago and seemed fine. Not sure what your setup is but maybe check out that option?

Should have PBS on YouTubeTV within a month. Looking forward to it myself.

What's the best option for a DVR for over-the-air recording? Fire Recast if we have a couple of Fire Sticks already?

Would prefer no monthly subscription.

What's the best option for a DVR for over-the-air recording? Fire Recast if we have a couple of Fire Sticks already?

HDhomerun by silicon dust  might be of interest to you. There is a free version or $35 annual fee version with more functionality. Runs on a lot of different platforms. Can select options that include 2-6 tv tuners so you can watch/record different shows at the same time.

Love YouTube tv so much. It’s amazing. Wish it had the red zone channel, so we are keeping our cable until the end of the football season. Fantastic service for 50 bucks though. 

Love YouTube tv so much. It’s amazing. Wish it had the red zone channel, so we are keeping our cable until the end of the football season. Fantastic service for 50 bucks though. 
50 still seems high to me.  Probably as I have solid antenna support and have simply quit giving a #### about any sports that don't happen to air on an antenna.  

50 still seems high to me.  Probably as I have solid antenna support and have simply quit giving a #### about any sports that don't happen to air on an antenna.  
Yea at this point I am just paying for sports. We watch 100% of our shows on Netflix/hbo/etc 

We have the recast - works great.  Super easy to use, all amazon devices can wirelessly connect to it, and the app is excellent.

ETA: the wireless function is the best part of it, IMO.  I have it setup in my office to get the best signal with the antenna - it is flawless when streaming from our fire tv downstairs in the living room.

If you happen to have Verizon their "Up" rewards program had Red Zone for $10 for the year.  Not sure if its still offered or not.  It's phone only as far as I can tell though, cant find a way to cast it unless Im missing it

Sounds like the market is starting weed out the streaming services.

Sony announced today that they are shutting down PS Vue due to lack of growth. Goes dark in January.

Also, ATT recently lost 195k subscribers from DTV Now from last quarter.

Maybe bc it's a horrible service.  They dropped channels from the initial package and then raised the prices.  On top of that, their Customer Service isn't integrated with normal DTV, so you have to do mainly everything online - yet they aren't as transparent with that information.  It's one of the worst services I've tried/used.

Maybe bc it's a horrible service.  They dropped channels from the initial package and then raised the prices.  On top of that, their Customer Service isn't integrated with normal DTV, so you have to do mainly everything online - yet they aren't as transparent with that information.  It's one of the worst services I've tried/used.
:goodposting:

It also buffers more then any of the other services I've used and is slow to change channels and bring up the guide.

I'm just waiting for Disney+ then I'm cancelling

This is all part of the weeding process.  There is likely to be a couple of winners when this all gets flushed out years from now but something has to give.  There are simply too many different services starting up.

I'm just waiting for Disney+ then I'm cancelling
I don't understand the comparison...  Disney+ has no relation to DTV Now from what I understand as they will not have live tv.  

DTV Now competitors are PS Vue, Hulu Live, YouTube Tv, Fubo etc

Disney+ I would think would be competing more with things like Netflix, Amazon etc, who also don't have any live tv.

Nothing memorable about Vue. I'd probably have put them 2nd to last as far as streaming services I've tried. Youtube TV interface was an abomination when I tried it. And I'm one that uses the main Youtube app on a daily basis. They'd rank worst on the services I've tried. This was probably 6-12 months ago.

DTV Now was pretty good other than it took a ####### eternity for the ### #### channel guide to load. They dropped channels and raised price so not surprising at all they're bleeding customers as well.

Philo is far and away my favorite paid streaming service. Paying $16/mo. I think they raised it to $20/mo for new customers but well worth it IMO. If you're a big sports viewer, probably won't be of much help but still cheap enough to use as addition to a sports package. I've had zero issues with Philo since I've started (the better part of a year ago?)

I don't understand the comparison...  Disney+ has no relation to DTV Now from what I understand as they will not have live tv.  

DTV Now competitors are PS Vue, Hulu Live, YouTube Tv, Fubo etc

Disney+ I would think would be competing more with things like Netflix, Amazon etc, who also don't have any live tv.
No, but to add sling or hulu live appears to be less expensive then I'm paying for DTVN, and appears to be a better service.  

Plus It would surprise me if a Hulu Live package didn't get offered at some point since they are offering D+, Espn + and Hulu packages already. Seems a missed opp if they don't go the next step.

Sounds like the market is starting weed out the streaming services.

Sony announced today that they are shutting down PS Vue due to lack of growth. Goes dark in January.

Piss poor marketing on Sony's part. Most people were/are under the impression that they need an actual playstation in order to use the service.

So which of the other streaming services offer NFL network and Redzone? 

Piss poor marketing on Sony's part. Most people were/are under the impression that they need an actual playstation in order to use the service.

So which of the other streaming services offer NFL network and Redzone? 
Sling and Futbo are the only 2 other at this time.  

This sucks because the 3 main channels I watch are ESPN, NFL Network and Fox Sports North.  Currently, Futbo has NFL and FSN but no ESPN. Sling has ESPN and NFL network, but are in a spat with Fox sports (was not very impressed with the picture on Sling anyway). Youtube TV has Fox sports and ESPN but no NFL network. PSvue had all of the channels I wanted along with a good picture and dependable service.

Disney+ free for Verizon (unlimited phone) customers for the first year. A small savings, but cool none-the-less if you already have Verizon.
Was happy to see this but disappointed that so far no Disney + app for LG Smart TV WebOS or Vizo Smart TV OS. Now I'm either going to have to streamcast it or buy a Roku or something. Really considering cutting the cord and going all streaming but everything else we would use (YouTubeTV, Netflix, Amazon) are all apps I can load to our TV's and keep it simple for the wife.

NR did you go down this route yet ? That is the exact combo I am thinking of going with.

NR did you go down this route yet ? That is the exact combo I am thinking of going with.
Not yet.  The family is still slow to make the change.  Every time my wife sees news like Sony shutting down psvue, the clock seems to reset.

If I was on my own, I would have done this by now.

Not yet.  The family is still slow to make the change.  Every time my wife sees news like Sony shutting down psvue, the clock seems to reset.

If I was on my own, I would have done this by now.
Understood, I looked at DirectvNow last year and the wife said it was too complex, YouTubeTV seems better. Only thing holding me back is I have a grandfathered DirecTV package that if I leave I can't close to again if I come back. My kids could care less, 100% of what my 13 year old watches is streaming outside a US Soccer game and my 16 year old is probably 90% streaming, he watches some NBA and MLB so they are used to it.

snellman said:
Sling and Futbo are the only 2 other at this time.  

This sucks because the 3 main channels I watch are ESPN, NFL Network and Fox Sports North.  Currently, Futbo has NFL and FSN but no ESPN. Sling has ESPN and NFL network, but are in a spat with Fox sports (was not very impressed with the picture on Sling anyway). Youtube TV has Fox sports and ESPN but no NFL network. PSvue had all of the channels I wanted along with a good picture and dependable service.
This is a real bummer. Vue was the most expensive service, but still much cheaper than cable and had most of the channels we needed. Guess I’ll ride it out until it goes dark (football season will be over by then) and then try out YouTube. Hopefully one of the other services gets NFL Network and some of our other channels by the time next season starts. 

This is a real bummer. Vue was the most expensive service, but still much cheaper than cable and had most of the channels we needed. Guess I’ll ride it out until it goes dark (football season will be over by then) and then try out YouTube. Hopefully one of the other services gets NFL Network and some of our other channels by the time next season starts. 
Sounds like from the notification, VUE will go dark end of January and last billing will be in December.  So basically, if you ride it out you get the last month free.

What am I missing about Sling?? Seems like the easy choice. Plenty of channels, RedZone, decent price. What's the catch?

Good to know, thanks. 
"PlayStation Vue will continue to deliver live, On Demand and DVR programs until the service discontinuation date of January 30, 2020.
Subscribers will receive their final charge for PlayStation Vue in the month of December. Active paid subscribers will not be charged for the service after December 31, 2019."
Guess people could sign up and get a free month in January.

Guess people could sign up and get a free month in January.
My charge always hit on the 29th and was up front for the next month I believe. So the December 29th charge will be the last one and cover you for January, is how I read it.

Anyone tried the Xfinity Streaming App from Comcast? I'm stuck with them for Internet, and I can add 125 channels for $20 more

Only 10 hrs on the DVR which stinks, but maybe I don't need it

Anyone tried the Xfinity Streaming App from Comcast? I'm stuck with them for Internet, and I can add 125 channels for $20 more

Maybe not exactly what you mean, but I have the streaming app on my phone and it works fine.  I also have the xfinity app on a roku (so I don't have to pay the 2nd TV box rental fee) and that's seemed to work fine as well.  Hope to get another roku device during black Friday deals so I can have cable access on another TV without an additional monthly fee. 

FWIW - Last year we went from Spectrum (Time Warner Cable) to DTVN. It was great with low cost and pretty good service, but then they started raising their rates aggressively in last 12 months. About three months ago we switched to SpectrumTV which is their streaming service. Large number of channels similar to the cable service but streamed. We use SpectrumTV app on AppleTV devices and it works well. Still have some pixilation for brief periods about 2-3 times per week. Can access it on iphone or ipad remotely and works fine...just don't have local channels. We also have a SpectrumTV box for DVR capabilities and it works well. Assume (maybe wrongly) Xfinity Streaming might be similar as cable companies need to compete with the streaming services. Probably can try for a week or two for free and even if you sign up, probably can cancel any month.

FWIW - Last year we went from Spectrum (Time Warner Cable) to DTVN. It was great with low cost and pretty good service, but then they started raising their rates aggressively in last 12 months. About three months ago we switched to SpectrumTV which is their streaming service. Large number of channels similar to the cable service but streamed. We use SpectrumTV app on AppleTV devices and it works well. Still have some pixilation for brief periods about 2-3 times per week. Can access it on iphone or ipad remotely and works fine...just don't have local channels. We also have a SpectrumTV box for DVR capabilities and it works well. Assume (maybe wrongly) Xfinity Streaming might be similar as cable companies need to compete with the streaming services. Probably can try for a week or two for free and even if you sign up, probably can cancel any month.
I'll give Comcast kudos in this regard - they are far more flexible when it comes to adding/deleting services. As long as you keep one service (and I have no other option for internet) you can cancel with no early term charge (and yes I have that in writing).

Paying $140 for 100 mbps Internet + Vue w/Redzone right now, 2 year deal is $105 for year 1, $125 year 2 for twice as many channels but less DVR

Users who are viewing this thread