Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

We've cut the cable


Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

Was trying to ride out PS VUE until the end of January, but it froze on me three times during NFL pre-game yesterday. Maybe they're just giving up on tech support.

So I started my free trial for YouTube TV.  Picture was much better than VUE.  Will be making switch this week.

I’m experiencing the same thing. Seems like anything live is almost unwatchable the past week. I’d really like to make it through football season before switching to YouTube, but I’m not sure I can put up with the constant freezing and buffering. How long is YouTube‘s free trial, one week?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Man In The Box said:

I’m experiencing the same thing. Seems like anything live is almost unwatchable the past week. I’d really like to make it through football season before switching to YouTube, but I’m not sure I can put up with the constant freezing and buffering. How long is YouTube‘s free trial, one week?

It's only 5 days.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jamny said:

Just picked up a Fire TV Recast, on sale ($100 off) for $129 to DVR OTA channels. The antenna I bought does well in Queens NY, so should be even better in Boise

 

Anyone have the Fire TV Recast? Opinions?

I have one - works great.  Zero issues with it.  It ties in perfectly with my Fire TV.  It streams over your wifi, so you can stick it in any room you want.  Having that flexibility is key when using the indoor antenna.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Ned said:

I have one - works great.  Zero issues with it.  It ties in perfectly with my Fire TV.  It streams over your wifi, so you can stick it in any room you want.  Having that flexibility is key when using the indoor antenna.

Good to hear!

I have 2 firesticks that I configured and will be bringing with me to Boise. Do you think there would be an issue with testing the Recast here in NY before bringing it there, besides having to re scan the antenna and setup the wifi? Or should I start fresh there with the recast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jamny said:

Good to hear!

I have 2 firesticks that I configured and will be bringing with me to Boise. Do you think there would be an issue with testing the Recast here in NY before bringing it there, besides having to re scan the antenna and setup the wifi? Or should I start fresh there with the recast.

I can't see any issues other than having to set it back up for that wifi and rescanning your antenna.  It's a quick process to rescan; I've probably scanned 100x while trying to perfect the antenna placement.  :OCD: 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Overall I was happy with Youtube TV, our bedroom TV which is second floor opposite side of the house from my router in the basement would on live events (ie sports) occasionally hiccup and freeze. Didn't seem to do it on normal broadcast tv. I think I could have eliminated this by moving the router to the living room if cutting the cord because I would have no longer needed the cable jack there. That said I called Directv and they gave me $75 a month off for 12 months plus changed my package that I lost one telemundo channel but gained 7 or 8 other channels I'll never watch but all toll got my bill down to $58 before tax. For $8 a month more I keep my one small local channel we watch for news in the morning, NFL network and don't have to listen to my wife complain about learning a new system. So staying with Directv another 12 months, then we will see what they will do to keep me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Question for the AV-savvy guys here. My MIL has an older Roku model that is not working as well with the newer content. So I want to get her a new one for Xmas. The issue is that I won't be at her house to check out the setup until Xmas day. I do remember that when I set it up for her two years ago, I needed to have RCA cables (Red, White, Yellow) going into the Roku. 

What I don't remember is whether that was because that old Roku model (maybe the XD or XDS?) didn't have HDMI, or because her TV didn't have HDMI. 

If it was the Roku that was the issue, I have no issue because I can just use the included HDMI cable to go from it to her TV. But if it was her TV, then I need a converter. 

Looking over the "get a new TV" and the "quality will suck" concerns, I've noticed that the RCA converters on Amazon say they only go one way, from RCA to HDMI or from HDMI to RCA. 

Am I correct in my thinking that I need the HDMI to RCA version because the content will flow from the Roku to the HDMI to the converter to the TV?

 

TIA. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone know of a streaming channel that shows high quality nature videos?  Not documentaries or anything with commentary. I’m looking for beach or forest or mountain or underwater video with sound. 
 

I’ve got a roku tv, with YouTubeTV, Netflix, and Amazon Prime

thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, randall146 said:

Does anyone know of a streaming channel that shows high quality nature videos?  Not documentaries or anything with commentary. I’m looking for beach or forest or mountain or underwater video with sound. 
 

I’ve got a roku tv, with YouTubeTV, Netflix, and Amazon Prime

thanks!

Search "nature sounds" on AP

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/10/2019 at 7:50 PM, ConstruxBoy said:

Question for the AV-savvy guys here. My MIL has an older Roku model that is not working as well with the newer content. So I want to get her a new one for Xmas. The issue is that I won't be at her house to check out the setup until Xmas day. I do remember that when I set it up for her two years ago, I needed to have RCA cables (Red, White, Yellow) going into the Roku. 

What I don't remember is whether that was because that old Roku model (maybe the XD or XDS?) didn't have HDMI, or because her TV didn't have HDMI. 

If it was the Roku that was the issue, I have no issue because I can just use the included HDMI cable to go from it to her TV. But if it was her TV, then I need a converter. 

Looking over the "get a new TV" and the "quality will suck" concerns, I've noticed that the RCA converters on Amazon say they only go one way, from RCA to HDMI or from HDMI to RCA. 

Am I correct in my thinking that I need the HDMI to RCA version because the content will flow from the Roku to the HDMI to the converter to the TV?

 

TIA. 

I’ve got an old Roku that I don’t use anymore (I use Firesticks) and even it had HDMI so I’d assume the issue is the TV. That said do you know the size of it? It may be just as cheap to get a new TV with the Roku/Firestick/Other built in than a Roku and that adapter. I may be off but I’ve seen 55”+ TVs in the 200s and if she doesn’t have HDMI her TV is likely a lot smaller. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there a "for dummies" guide for this stuff linked in here somewhere? Currently still have comcast but the family has put in a request for Disney+. Rather than just getting another service, I think it's time to go the "cut the cable" route but not exactly sure what all I want to do. 

Probably looking to keep netflix and presumably add disney+ and the hulu/espn package you can get. I also want to continue to dvr stuff - namely sporting events I can then fast-forward through commercials. What all do I need? 

Presumably: a cable modem/internet subscription, the above subscriptions, a fire recast, and an antenna. 

Is that pretty much about it? And/or am I way off base? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

Is there a "for dummies" guide for this stuff linked in here somewhere? Currently still have comcast but the family has put in a request for Disney+. Rather than just getting another service, I think it's time to go the "cut the cable" route but not exactly sure what all I want to do. 

Probably looking to keep netflix and presumably add disney+ and the hulu/espn package you can get. I also want to continue to dvr stuff - namely sporting events I can then fast-forward through commercials. What all do I need? 

Presumably: a cable modem/internet subscription, the above subscriptions, a fire recast, and an antenna. 

Is that pretty much about it? And/or am I way off base? 

I am the dummy in here, so I can speak your language. This is what we did:

1. Have 100mbs internet service.

2. Subscribed to HULU Live. We get most of what we had before and all our local channels.  Does not have NFL Network, but has all the other sports channels and then some. 

3. One TV is hooked up through the kids XBOX and we run HULU Live on that. 

4. One TV has google chromecast already on it, so we stream from our iphone or ipad on that one.

5. Our other two TV's I bought the google chromecast device and plugged it into the HDMI port in the back and stream through that. 

6. All the HULU channels and programs have the chromecast button, so it's easy to use for everyone. 

7. I also subscribe to ESPN+, and just chromecast from my iphone or ipad for that.

8. You could do the same for Disney+. We don't subscribe to that. 

9. I bought an antenna that I can plug in for local channels just as a backup. I think I spent like $80 on one that picks up signals for 40 miles.

Internet: $55/month

Hulu Subscription: $55/month

ESPN+: $5 a month

Total $115/month. Down from $190

Edited by ChiefD
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

Is there a "for dummies" guide for this stuff linked in here somewhere? Currently still have comcast but the family has put in a request for Disney+. Rather than just getting another service, I think it's time to go the "cut the cable" route but not exactly sure what all I want to do. 

Probably looking to keep netflix and presumably add disney+ and the hulu/espn package you can get. I also want to continue to dvr stuff - namely sporting events I can then fast-forward through commercials. What all do I need? 

Presumably: a cable modem/internet subscription, the above subscriptions, a fire recast, and an antenna. 

Is that pretty much about it? And/or am I way off base? 

I wrote a guide and have linked it in the past. Problem is that things move so fast it’s hard to keep it updated. 

Simple answer is that with internet speeds we have today there is zero reason to have satellite or cable tv companies, they are antiquated and should be extinct. 

1- get the cheapest internet service that you can. Buy your own modem and router to avoid monthly rental fees. 

2- get an OTA antenna for free HD local channels and more. Use to tvfool.com to see your signal strength and what type of antenna you need 

3- google around a bit and see what channel lineups the different streaming services have as they are always changing. Most have a free 7 day trial to test them out. 

4- go to the Terrarium thread and find out how to get previously aired tv shows and movies for free. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just noticed this story. Seems like these pirates had a pretty big operation. Any iStreamItAll or JetFlicks folks in here?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/16/tech/illegal-streaming-sites-shuttered/index.html

Quote

Both iStreamItAll and Jetflicks had tens of thousands of paid subscribers and were designed to work on many different devices and platforms, "including myriad varieties of computer operating systems, smartphones, tablets, smart televisions, video game consoles, digital media players, set-top boxes and web browsers," the DOJ said, citing the two plea agreements.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/16/2019 at 11:39 AM, tonydead said:

I wrote a guide and have linked it in the past. Problem is that things move so fast it’s hard to keep it updated. 

Simple answer is that with internet speeds we have today there is zero reason to have satellite or cable tv companies, they are antiquated and should be extinct. 

1- get the cheapest internet service that you can. Buy your own modem and router to avoid monthly rental fees. 

2- get an OTA antenna for free HD local channels and more. Use to tvfool.com to see your signal strength and what type of antenna you need 

3- google around a bit and see what channel lineups the different streaming services have as they are always changing. Most have a free 7 day trial to test them out. 

4- go to the Terrarium thread and find out how to get previously aired tv shows and movies for free. 

I'll disagree with getting the cheapest service.  You don't want your speed cut, especially if you have a few users.  If I'm spurging, its on the internet speed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/13/2019 at 3:30 PM, randall146 said:

Does anyone know of a streaming channel that shows high quality nature videos?  Not documentaries or anything with commentary. I’m looking for beach or forest or mountain or underwater video with sound. 
 

I’ve got a roku tv, with YouTubeTV, Netflix, and Amazon Prime

thanks!

If you have Amazon Prime and a firestick they have a pretty good selection.  I use lake sounds, fire pit surf, and rainstorm they all last 8 hrs I use them to sleep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

If you have Amazon Prime and a firestick they have a pretty good selection.  I use lake sounds, fire pit surf, and rainstorm they all last 8 hrs I use them to sleep.

Earthcam.com is good also.  We have a cam here of Lake Michigan.   There are some great nature cams from all around the world on there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I am ending my Comcast TV deal this week and will have Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Disney.

I did add Youtube TV (49.99) and have Comcast Extreme. 

I believe my monthly Comcast bill will go from ~$170.00 to about $83.00, but adding Youtube make the monthly savings around $30.00 a month. I am not paying for any of the streaming services (Amazon, Netflix, Disney) so there's that 🙂

Do I need to be concerned with monthly data usage now that I am streaming?

I'm still not as efficient as I would like, but do want my cable still for some shows/local sports.

Any other recommendations? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Exploring this seriously... can anyone help with a couple Qs?  We'll have Netflix and Prime under both scenarios so I'm leaving those out.

  • Just found out I'm only on 75/75 Internet -- $30/month (bundled)
  • Fios Preferred ($55) + Fios Sports Pass ($14) = $69/month FIOS content
  • Paying $7/month for the router and $24/month for 2 set top boxes = $31 for equipment
  • Govt taxes and fees = $7.62
  • Verizon FIOS fees and surcharges = $16.06

So that's $154 per month. (straight from the bill, I talked my way down to that from like $180 last year)

Looking at the cord-cutting costs:

  • I can keep Verizon Internet and upgrade to 100/100mbs for $40/month + $7/month router + taxes and fees = $50
  • FUBO TV = ($55) + Disney+ ($7) = $62 month for content

That's $112/month

That's a savings of $42/month, but only if I'm really avoiding the taxes, fees and surcharges ($16) and the cost of two set top boxes ($24).  So... am I really avoiding those fees if I cut? 

Overall, FUBO actually has more of the sports channels I'd watch, I don't think we lose anything the others in the fam use, and our internet speed would be slightly higher as well.  I'm not seeing any downside at all outside the initial hassle -- am I missing anything?

(We'd be adding some sort of digital antenna as well, but I'm leaving that out of this calculation since it's pennies a month over time.)

 

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/2/2020 at 10:32 AM, cubd8 said:

I'm still not as efficient as I would like, but do want my cable still for some shows/local sports.

Any other recommendations? 

Look at FUBO instead of Youtube.  Very comparably priced and it has a TON (like more than you'd ever use) of sports channels -- plus most or all of the channels Youtube has (at least in my area).

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Exploring this seriously... can anyone help with a couple Qs?  We'll have Netflix and Prime under both scenarios so I'm leaving those out.

  • Just found out I'm only on 75/75 Internet -- $30/month (bundled)
  • Fios Preferred ($55) + Fios Sports Pass ($14) = $69/month FIOS content
  • Paying $7/month for the router and $24/month for 2 set top boxes = $31 for equipment
  • Govt taxes and fees = $7.62
  • Verizon FIOS fees and surcharges = $16.06

So that's $154 per month. (straight from the bill, I talked my way down to that from like $180 last year)

Looking at the cord-cutting costs:

  • I can keep Verizon Internet and upgrade to 100/100mbs for $40/month + $7/month router + taxes and fees = $50
  • FUBO TV = ($55) + Disney+ ($7) = $62 month for content

That's $112/month

That's a savings of $42/month, but only if I'm really avoiding the taxes, fees and surcharges ($16) and the cost of two set top boxes ($24).  So... am I really avoiding those fees if I cut? 

Overall, FUBO actually has more of the sports channels I'd watch, I don't think we lose anything the others in the fam use, and our internet speed would be slightly higher as well.  I'm not seeing any downside at all outside the initial hassle -- am I missing anything?

(We'd be adding some sort of digital antenna as well, but I'm leaving that out of this calculation since it's pennies a month over time.)

 

My Fios internet-only bill doesn't have any fees or surcharges added. Why are you renting a router? Buying your own will be cheaper in the long run.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/5/2020 at 5:58 AM, Otis said:

Holy crap.  I'm on AT&T Now, and we have probably 8 Roku devices around the house. This would screw me pretty hard if they delete the app entirely.

All you have to do is mirror your screen from your phone/tablet app. Another step and you lose being able to use your phone/tablet, but a workaround.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Payne said:

Gave YouTube TV a trial run and found the stream jerky. I have 300Mbs internet too.

Internet is $80 alone and YouTube is $50. So $130.

Got my cable bill down to $150 and I'm sticking with it. 

Same issue with me. I have YouTube, got rid of Xfinity, but the costs of streaming vs. cable are not much different (maybe save $30.00 a month) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, cubd8 said:

Same issue with me. I have YouTube, got rid of Xfinity, but the costs of streaming vs. cable are not much different (maybe save $30.00 a month) 

Yes but aren't you paying for the internet weather you have cable or not? I was paying for internet about 80 bucks plus 150 for DirecTV.  Youtubetv only 50 bucks saves me 100 a month.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/11/2020 at 6:03 PM, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Exploring this seriously... can anyone help with a couple Qs?  We'll have Netflix and Prime under both scenarios so I'm leaving those out.

  • Just found out I'm only on 75/75 Internet -- $30/month (bundled)
  • Fios Preferred ($55) + Fios Sports Pass ($14) = $69/month FIOS content
  • Paying $7/month for the router and $24/month for 2 set top boxes = $31 for equipment
  • Govt taxes and fees = $7.62
  • Verizon FIOS fees and surcharges = $16.06

So that's $154 per month. (straight from the bill, I talked my way down to that from like $180 last year)

Looking at the cord-cutting costs:

  • I can keep Verizon Internet and upgrade to 100/100mbs for $40/month + $7/month router + taxes and fees = $50
  • FUBO TV = ($55) + Disney+ ($7) = $62 month for content

That's $112/month

That's a savings of $42/month, but only if I'm really avoiding the taxes, fees and surcharges ($16) and the cost of two set top boxes ($24).  So... am I really avoiding those fees if I cut? 

Overall, FUBO actually has more of the sports channels I'd watch, I don't think we lose anything the others in the fam use, and our internet speed would be slightly higher as well.  I'm not seeing any downside at all outside the initial hassle -- am I missing anything?

(We'd be adding some sort of digital antenna as well, but I'm leaving that out of this calculation since it's pennies a month over time.)

 

First step in cutting the cord is taking all the cable company's equipment back and dropping if off on their desk.  Modems and routers and streaming devices are dirt cheap now days and paying rent for something like that tops the how cable companies screw you list.  Plus it feels good plopping all that crap down and telling them you're done.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/12/2020 at 9:54 AM, Payne said:

Gave YouTube TV a trial run and found the stream jerky. I have 300Mbs internet too.

Internet is $80 alone and YouTube is $50. So $130.

Got my cable bill down to $150 and I'm sticking with it. 

Looking at YouTubeTV... Currently using Hulu, Prime, NetFlix and using 1 month free trial of CBS.  

Spectrum Bill was $238/month

Current Google Fiber 500MB package with streamers above = $158          +$10 when CBS is no longer free

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, rustycolts said:

Yes but aren't you paying for the internet weather you have cable or not? I was paying for internet about 80 bucks plus 150 for DirecTV.  Youtubetv only 50 bucks saves me 100 a month.

You were paying $80 for internet and THEN $150 for DirectTV? I was paying $205 for cable and internet. Internet only = $80. Youtube = $50. $130 total.

Walked in to Xfinity store, dropped off my boxes and modem (bought my own) and asked for internet only quote. Immediately offered me internet and channels for $145 with taxes. $10 more for Starz (wife likes Outlander). So $155 compared to $130 to stream Youtube. Youtube also didn't have every channel we liked and, as I said, the stream was a bit jumpy.

I don't think cutting the cord is as big of a savings as it once was. And my wife refuses to use Kodi.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Payne said:

You were paying $80 for internet and THEN $150 for DirectTV? I was paying $205 for cable and internet. Internet only = $80. Youtube = $50. $130 total.

Walked in to Xfinity store, dropped off my boxes and modem (bought my own) and asked for internet only quote. Immediately offered me internet and channels for $145 with taxes. $10 more for Starz (wife likes Outlander). So $155 compared to $130 to stream Youtube. Youtube also didn't have every channel we liked and, as I said, the stream was a bit jumpy.

I don't think cutting the cord is as big of a savings as it once was. And my wife refuses to use Kodi.

Yea no bundle that's why it was a no brainer for me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Payne said:

You were paying $80 for internet and THEN $150 for DirectTV? I was paying $205 for cable and internet. Internet only = $80. Youtube = $50. $130 total.

Walked in to Xfinity store, dropped off my boxes and modem (bought my own) and asked for internet only quote. Immediately offered me internet and channels for $145 with taxes. $10 more for Starz (wife likes Outlander). So $155 compared to $130 to stream Youtube. Youtube also didn't have every channel we liked and, as I said, the stream was a bit jumpy.

I don't think cutting the cord is as big of a savings as it once was. And my wife refuses to use Kodi.

It depends on your situation how much you can save but one big lure for me is no contracts. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

I don't think cutting the cord is as big of a savings as it once was. And my wife refuses to use Kodi.

I agree.  The cost of all the streaming services to get a good mix of shows is getting almost as bad as cable was.  

As a substitute for Kodi, I might suggest Plex.  I have recently added a tuner to my plex server and it does a nice job on the TV/DVR and its all in the same place with your movies and such. I also dropped netflix and hulu as the kids are watching youtube more than anything lately.  I instead have fired up the VPN again dusted off the old pirate hat.  It's just easier and you get everything, sports, movies, tv series, books.

Maybe cable will go back to being the best way, but I am liking this setup currently. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Payne said:

I don't think cutting the cord is as big of a savings as it once was. And my wife refuses to use Kodi.

Just depends what programming you absolutely 'need'.

I think I'm paying as much now for Philo + Pluto + Youtube + Hulu ($18/mo total) as I did in the bullshlt charges Directv tried to throw at me in the past. Always can find free trials of some service anytime I have a desire to watch sports anymore. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I don't have any IPTV, and I don't have a working antenna.

Any way to stream the Super Bowl?  I think I got it last year though a CBS Sports app or something.  Will the Fox Sports app work today, or will it ask for my cable company credentials?

ETA: Pregame coverage isn’t asking me for any credentials.

Edited by Tick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tick said:

I don't have any IPTV, and I don't have a working antenna.

Any way to stream the Super Bowl?  I think I got it last year though a CBS Sports app or something.  Will the Fox Sports app work today, or will it ask for my cable company credentials?

ETA: Pregame coverage isn’t asking me for any credentials.

I believe they are offering it for free over the app.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tick said:

I don't have any IPTV, and I don't have a working antenna.

Any way to stream the Super Bowl?  I think I got it last year though a CBS Sports app or something.  Will the Fox Sports app work today, or will it ask for my cable company credentials?

ETA: Pregame coverage isn’t asking me for any credentials.

On my fireTV home screen today, when I selected the super bowl it showed the Fox Sports and NFL apps as free to stream the game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not gonna read the whole thread, but I see some mentions of YouTube TV and curious of the experience.

Just initial research looks pretty nice.   $50 per month and still get live TV and sports from all the main channels that I'd care about.    No equipment but still can record shows on a cloud DVR. One little thing I read was how each family member has own account and each can go to their own personal DVR area so only sees shows they recorded or care about  (so I'm not seeing 25 episodes of Miraculous LadyBug and Ellen DeGeneres Game show!).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, offdee said:

Not gonna read the whole thread, but I see some mentions of YouTube TV and curious of the experience.

Just initial research looks pretty nice.   $50 per month and still get live TV and sports from all the main channels that I'd care about.    No equipment but still can record shows on a cloud DVR. One little thing I read was how each family member has own account and each can go to their own personal DVR area so only sees shows they recorded or care about  (so I'm not seeing 25 episodes of Miraculous LadyBug and Ellen DeGeneres Game show!).

Give the free trial a shot. I did and found my stream to be a bit jumpy. Watching basketball was a nightmare. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/16/2019 at 11:20 AM, ChiefD said:

I am the dummy in here, so I can speak your language. This is what we did:

1. Have 100mbs internet service.

2. Subscribed to HULU Live. We get most of what we had before and all our local channels.  Does not have NFL Network, but has all the other sports channels and then some. 

3. One TV is hooked up through the kids XBOX and we run HULU Live on that. 

4. One TV has google chromecast already on it, so we stream from our iphone or ipad on that one.

5. Our other two TV's I bought the google chromecast device and plugged it into the HDMI port in the back and stream through that. 

6. All the HULU channels and programs have the chromecast button, so it's easy to use for everyone. 

7. I also subscribe to ESPN+, and just chromecast from my iphone or ipad for that.

8. You could do the same for Disney+. We don't subscribe to that. 

9. I bought an antenna that I can plug in for local channels just as a backup. I think I spent like $80 on one that picks up signals for 40 miles.

Internet: $55/month

Hulu Subscription: $55/month

ESPN+: $5 a month

Total $115/month. Down from $190

 

On 12/16/2019 at 11:39 AM, tonydead said:

I wrote a guide and have linked it in the past. Problem is that things move so fast it’s hard to keep it updated. 

Simple answer is that with internet speeds we have today there is zero reason to have satellite or cable tv companies, they are antiquated and should be extinct. 

1- get the cheapest internet service that you can. Buy your own modem and router to avoid monthly rental fees. 

2- get an OTA antenna for free HD local channels and more. Use to tvfool.com to see your signal strength and what type of antenna you need 

3- google around a bit and see what channel lineups the different streaming services have as they are always changing. Most have a free 7 day trial to test them out. 

4- go to the Terrarium thread and find out how to get previously aired tv shows and movies for free. 

OK, so what about Redzone? what streamer has that?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Sling TV, Plastation Vue and Fubo TV all have rezone included with their sports add on packs.  I just watch for free at nflbite.com.

Sling was a huge disappointment for me. 
 

ETA: isn’t Vue toast?

Edited by Osaurus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, offdee said:

Ah yeah, that wouldn’t be worth it then. I’ll check the trial out. 

I have been using YouTube TV since it came out and have experienced very few issues.  Usually any streaming issues are related to your internet service and/or your streaming device.

Usually, using a Smart TV as your streaming device will give a poor experience. I use two Apple TV 4K boxes, but Nvidia Shield and the better Rokus also work well.

Hard wire your boxes if possible as opposed to using WiFi.  I have 300MB Fiber internet service now, but had no problems when we had 60MB service previously.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
  • Create New...