What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (5 Viewers)

snellman said:
That has been going on for quite a while.  I canceled my subscription with YouTube TV back in March and switched to Hulu live when they originally dropped the Fox Sports Networks. They brought them back but in limited markets (I am in Iowa so I could not get Fox Sports North to watch the Twins).  I was and am disappointed because I liked their interface. I think Hulu and FuboTV are the only major streamers that currently have the Fox Sports channels.
Luckily Fox Sports Detroit went forward under their extension that ended on Oct 1.  Ironically, I went with YouTube TV because of the sports options.  Will have to see how this shakes out but will look into Hulu as a potential alternate choice.  Thanks for the info!

The new Chromecast with a remote and Android TV UI (out later this week) looks pretty sweet
Picked one up last week, it's definitely a great little device for $50 (and since it's Google it will be on sale for Black Friday). Only "issue" is the AI suggestions are off target for now, but they seem to be changing quickly now that it sees what I'm clicking on.

I was a Roku guy but the last two devices have had weird issues where they go static until the HDMI is unplugged and reseated. Might just replace them all if the BF sale is good enough.

Cancelled Youtube TV because of the price increase. I had Disney+ bundle mainly for ESPN+ because of the soccer coverage and, eventually, college basketball. Went with Hulu+ Live TV with Disney/ESPN bundle (you go through Hulu rather than Disney) for $61.99/month, saves me $20 a month and don't miss anything I actually watch (don't really watch NFL anymore outside of finding Steelers' streams).

Cancelled Youtube TV because of the price increase. I had Disney+ bundle mainly for ESPN+ because of the soccer coverage and, eventually, college basketball. Went with Hulu+ Live TV with Disney/ESPN bundle (you go through Hulu rather than Disney) for $61.99/month, saves me $20 a month and don't miss anything I actually watch (don't really watch NFL anymore outside of finding Steelers' streams).
Can you imagine being a Cowboys fan and paying Directv to put a dish on your roof just so you can watch football and then they go 1-3 before Dak breaks his leg?  No way I'm ever paying to watch football.  

Can you imagine being a Cowboys fan and paying Directv to put a dish on your roof just so you can watch football and then they go 1-3 before Dak breaks his leg?  No way I'm ever paying to watch football.  
They'll be better w/o Dak. 

Sucks he got hurt, but It will be a blessing in disguise for the organization.

Already 1-0 in games finished by comeback king Andy Dalton. 

:coffee:  

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried going with spectrum and using only the app, no equipment, 44.99/ month.  Service was terrible, took 3 days and about 2 hours on the phone to get the app to work.  High traffic channels (like nfl football games) would buffer constantly, super annoying.  I called and canceled today, crazy that 2 years of Hulu USING spectrum internet, no buffering, one month of spectrum app using the same internet and constantly buffering.  Trying YouTube tv now.

How satisfied are you overall with Hulu TV+ vs. YTTV?  I looked up a comparison of the two and a big turnoff for me with Hulu TV+ is the fact you can’t FF through commercials on your DVR without paying an additional $10/mo.  That’s a no-go for me and drops the monthly savings over YTTV to only $10/mo, which isn’t enough to get me to switch.

How satisfied are you overall with Hulu TV+ vs. YTTV?  I looked up a comparison of the two and a big turnoff for me with Hulu TV+ is the fact you can’t FF through commercials on your DVR without paying an additional $10/mo.  That’s a no-go for me and drops the monthly savings over YTTV to only $10/mo, which isn’t enough to get me to switch.
So far so good. I’m only a couple of days in and haven’t watched anything on DVR. If it’s too annoying I’ll add the feature. $10 is still $10 and I like having these things consolidated. 

I'm still using locast.org for local channels. I donate $5/month and get like 30 OTA channels out of DC, which is 90 miles east of me. I'll ride them until the big boys put them out of business. Then I'll have to go back to Hulu or Sling or whatever to get 4 local stations.

So, I have: Locast @ $5/month, Frndly @ $7/month (it has the Weather Channel :bag:  ), and Prime for whatever that costs (& which I'd have anyway). $80/mo for internet.

I'm down to just about 1/4 of what I used to pay for DTV and internet a few years ago. I don't watch a ton of TV anymore and I live alone, so my workarounds wouldn't fit most households. 

Just to come back to this, I just found they actually have a package with the unlimited cloud for $67.99, so overall it comes out to $15/mo less than YTTV with Disney/ESPN.

The other awesome benefit of cutting the cord:

Just bought a second home, and now we basically get free TV there.  Just use all the same accounts we’re already paying for, no extra charge.  Yeah we have to pay for internet there, but we’d do that anyway.  

$

Otis said:

Just bought a second home, and now we basically get free TV there.  Just use all the same accounts we’re already paying for, no extra charge.  Yeah we have to pay for internet there, but we’d do that anyway.  

$
Other than the max screens/users, sure. It's fantastic. 

Anyone else experiencing issues with the Hulu live guide right now?  When I search the guide under "All", it shows like every local CBS channel out there.  I've tried on a Roku, fire stick and my MacBook and same issue.  I wonder if one of my settings is out of whack.  

Anyone else experiencing issues with the Hulu live guide right now?  When I search the guide under "All", it shows like every local CBS channel out there.  I've tried on a Roku, fire stick and my MacBook and same issue.  I wonder if one of my settings is out of whack.  
Just checked on an Apple TV and I also have a ton of CBS local channels and it looks like a few other channels are duplicated (notice A&E for example at the top of my guide was duplicated, showing different shows, so likely an East coast and a West coast feed)

Just checked on an Apple TV and I also have a ton of CBS local channels and it looks like a few other channels are duplicated (notice A&E for example at the top of my guide was duplicated, showing different shows, so likely an East coast and a West coast feed)
Thanks - glad it's not just me then.  And it's like a 25 minute wait to get chat support.  I've been on the fence about cutting Hulu but this will be the final straw (assuming it's not resolved in the next couple days).  

Thanks - glad it's not just me then.  And it's like a 25 minute wait to get chat support.  I've been on the fence about cutting Hulu but this will be the final straw (assuming it's not resolved in the next couple days).  
Or you look at it as them giving you 500 free additional channels - now if only it included HBO and the other pay channels

Or you look at it as them giving you 500 free additional channels - now if only it included HBO and the other pay channels
They're not free channels though.  They're all just different CBS local channels.  And if you click on any of them, it says "not available in your market" or something like that.  So it takes me 10 minutes to scroll through all of those CBS channels to advance in the guide!  No thank you.

They're not free channels though.  They're all just different CBS local channels.  And if you click on any of them, it says "not available in your market" or something like that.  So it takes me 10 minutes to scroll through all of those CBS channels to advance in the guide!  No thank you.
Ugh, yeah, hope they get it fixed quick

Well, crap. Back to the drawing board.

Hulu Live just sent out an email that they no longer have the rights to Regional Sports (like Fox Sports Midwest), which carries the Royals and our local Sporting KC MLS team. Effective tomorrow.  :lol:

Bummer. 

$
True.  Or hotels while traveling etc.  

ChiefD said:

Hulu Live just sent out an email that they no longer have the rights to Regional Sports (like Fox Sports Midwest), which carries the Royals and our local Sporting KC MLS team. Effective tomorrow.  :lol:

Bummer. 
:lmao:  

And I'm sure they're giving some sort of refunds right?

ChiefD said:

Bummer. 
Does a digital antenna work for the local games?   We pickup up 1 and we get 36 stations.  <$50 

Does a digital antenna work for the local games?   We pickup up 1 and we get 36 stations.  <$50 
It will work on anything broadcast on the major networks - ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC. As long as their signal is strong enough to reach your house. The antenna usually tells you what your mile radius is, so as long as the local affiliate is within that radius you should get those channels.

It will work on anything broadcast on the major networks - ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC. As long as their signal is strong enough to reach your house. The antenna usually tells you what your mile radius is, so as long as the local affiliate is within that radius you should get those channels.
Or check out your range to your address on tvfool  dot com. 

I haven't been able to find a straight answer to this question, so I suspect it's a dumb question.  Hopefully someone can set me straight...

I'm setting up a Google Nest router connected to Verizon's incoming Internet in my basement.

I will have remote WIFI add on points on the ground floor and the main floor. These will be WIFI connected to the router only -- not ethernet connected.

Is there any advantage (speed/reliability, etc) to connecting a computer/XBOX/tablet/ to the WIFI add-on points on the ground or 2nd floor via ethernet instead of using WIFI?

i.e. if the whole system isn't wired back to the original router is there anything to gain by making the final connection hard wired instead of WIFI?

I haven't been able to find a straight answer to this question, so I suspect it's a dumb question.  Hopefully someone can set me straight...

I'm setting up a Google Nest router connected to Verizon's incoming Internet in my basement.

I will have remote WIFI add on points on the ground floor and the main floor. These will be WIFI connected to the router only -- not ethernet connected.

Is there any advantage (speed/reliability, etc) to connecting a computer/XBOX/tablet/ to the WIFI add-on points on the ground or 2nd floor via ethernet instead of using WIFI?

i.e. if the whole system isn't wired back to the original router is there anything to gain by making the final connection hard wired instead of WIFI?
I wouldn't think so unless the component you are using has some kind of obstruction that degrades signal.

Just curious. We are getting ready to lose dish as it is horrible. Is it mandatory that the had antenna be near a window? Our tv is not by one. Thanks for any assistance.

Just curious. We are getting ready to lose dish as it is horrible. Is it mandatory that the had antenna be near a window? Our tv is not by one. Thanks for any assistance.
Maybe, but probably not.  I live in a 2nd floor apartment where all windows face away from the location of the "big city" broadcast and genrally things work well for me.  The local CBS channel can be a problem, but I've had varying levels of success toggling between an antenna with power (juiced) and powered off (passive). Bear in mind that neighboring flats represent a crap-ton of drywall between me and the broadcasting stations and I sit about 10 feet below an intervening ridge.  And, my antenna is a 29.99 Best Buy special. 

Buy a cheap-o and see what happens.  If at first you don't succeed, take it back and trade it for door #2, door #3, etc.

Full-disclosure:  Nowadays I roll with YouTube TV.  It's $70-ish per month and they have very generous terms when it comes to sharing your account with multiple households. Subject to change, obviously.

No, it doesn’t. I spent less than $50 on mine and it works fine. As long as you are within the suburbs of a decent sized city you should pick up all the local channels.

Maybe, but probably not.  I live in a 2nd floor apartment where all windows face away from the location of the "big city" broadcast and genrally things work well for me.  The local CBS channel can be a problem, but I've had varying levels of success toggling between an antenna with power (juiced) and powered off (passive). Bear in mind that neighboring flats represent a crap-ton of drywall between me and the broadcasting stations and I sit about 10 feet below an intervening ridge.  And, my antenna is a 29.99 Best Buy special. 

Buy a cheap-o and see what happens.  If at first you don't succeed, take it back and trade it for door #2, door #3, etc.

Full-disclosure:  Nowadays I roll with YouTube TV.  It's $70-ish per month and they have very generous terms when it comes to sharing your account with multiple households. Subject to change, obviously.
Thanks. I think we will do as you say and just get them from Amazon and send them back if they don’t work.

No, it doesn’t. I spent less than $50 on mine and it works fine. As long as you are within the suburbs of a decent sized city you should pick up all the local channels.
We are kind of in the sticks but about an hour or so from Charlotte. Worst that happens is it doesn’t work and we return it I guess. Thanks Chief.

Put down my $100 for a Starlink receiver.  Says that I could get it in the fall.  I hate Comcast so much that I use a slower ISP just so I don't have to deal with them, but I'm nearly maxing out my bandwidth now on 20 Mbs down, 5 Mbs Up.  I do realize all of that bandwidth and it's not shared or metered in any way, so that's a plus with my current ISP.

This is highly dependent on the quality of signal you are purchasing and what router/modem hardware you are using. Without knowing more specifics I would say yes it will affect it, but not too much unless you are a extreme power user. One thing with gaming is wifi connections can lead to more issues(not always the case) with NAT settings if your into online multiplayer.

This is highly dependent on the quality of signal you are purchasing and what router/modem hardware you are using. Without knowing more specifics I would say yes it will affect it, but not too much unless you are a extreme power user. One thing with gaming is wifi connections can lead to more issues(not always the case) with NAT settings if your into online multiplayer.
So the answer for us is that it does make the connection more stable.  Doesn't do anything for speed, but we have high speed and tons of bandwidth, so making the last jump hard-wired instead of over the air/WIFI was worth it for us.  Kid still finds things to yell about while gaming, but lags/latency spikes aren't the cause.  Progress?

Went with three Google routers (not a router + points) so I could wire each to an ethernet switch and hard-wire stuff out of that in the same rooms.  Our speed, coverage and latency are all way better.

So the answer for us is that it does make the connection more stable.  Doesn't do anything for speed, but we have high speed and tons of bandwidth, so making the last jump hard-wired instead of over the air/WIFI was worth it for us.  Kid still finds things to yell about while gaming, but lags/latency spikes aren't the cause.  Progress?

Went with three Google routers (not a router + points) so I could wire each to an ethernet switch and hard-wire stuff out of that in the same rooms.  Our speed, coverage and latency are all way better.
Sounds like a good decision all around. As for the gaming, lag will always be the thing to kill you. Not the decision the pilot made...

Just got notice of another $9.99 increase for AT&T TV NOW. 

Almost at the point of going back to cable TV being that we have to use Comcast for our internet. Might be better to just package again. 

Find it hard to believe cable is even still a thing. Bought my first smart TV and I had no idea how advanced they have gotten. Samsung TV comes with 300 or so channels built in. No idea how cable companies are surviving. 

Find it hard to believe cable is even still a thing. Bought my first smart TV and I had no idea how advanced they have gotten. Samsung TV comes with 300 or so channels built in. No idea how cable companies are surviving. 
"channels"

I took the time to pare that down to stuff we might theoretically watch someday and it's like maybe 15.  And that includes channels like the Minecraft channel, which my youngest loves.

Re cost increase above:  we're saving ~$30 compared to previous cable/internet bill and have more content available with YoutubeTV, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, ESPN+.  Also upgraded internet speed and DVR capability at no cost.

Combined with switching from Verizon's wifi to Google routers, and improving speed and signal through entire house, it feels like we jumped ahead maybe 15 years from where we were.

No regrets at all.

"channels"

I took the time to pare that down to stuff we might theoretically watch someday and it's like maybe 15.  And that includes channels like the Minecraft channel, which my youngest loves.

Re cost increase above:  we're saving ~$30 compared to previous cable/internet bill and have more content available with YoutubeTV, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, ESPN+.  Also upgraded internet speed and DVR capability at no cost.

Combined with switching from Verizon's wifi to Google routers, and improving speed and signal through entire house, it feels like we jumped ahead maybe 15 years from where we were.

No regrets at all.
I don't think you're reading my post correctly.  I don't subscribe to anything, my cable/tv bill is zero. 

I agree I would never watch 95% of any 300 given channels, but, they came free on my Samsung Smart tv.  Link

Like I said, I have no idea why people would still pay for cable/dish/directv and I have no idea how they are surviving.  

I just did a mini-upgrade, got a new receiver and television in our living room, added a sonos, and, at the recommendation of my a/v guy, switched from an Amazon Fire streamer to a Roku.  After a few days, I can say the Roku is a much better interface for me. 

Just got notice of another $9.99 increase for AT&T TV NOW. 

Almost at the point of going back to cable TV being that we have to use Comcast for our internet. Might be better to just package again. 
me too. I'm going to tell ATT to eff off and go no cable. 

I have an antenna mounted in my attic which gives me good reception for all local broadcast from Charlotte (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, and a few others).  I have netflix, hulu, disney+ & amazon prime.  I can certainly get HBO ala carte.  Really, the only things I would be missing are ESPN come football season (maybe I sign up for Hulu live for September thru December), AMC for Walking Dead & Better Call Saul (all though I can stream on Hulu or Netflix when available), a few other random shows that I really wouldn't miss on FX,  and network news which I am better off avoiding anyhow.

This is my first venture into smart tv land so apologies if this is old news.  I never bought a smart tv because I always had a HTPC running everything anyway.  Well my 12 year old plasma finally started to give up the ghost and I quickly found that you cannot buy a tv now that isn't smart.  I'm a Samsung guy and so even though the OLED seems to be currently better than Samsung QLED I stuck with Samsung because the QLED white background makes everything brighter, is better for rooms with light/windows, etc.

As it turns out this was a blessing in disguise as my HTPC was on life support running Windows Media Center still on Windows 8.1 that I was being forced to find a solution for.  I imagined a smart tv being clunky, just loaded up with Netflix and Rolu apps and I couldn't have been more wrong.  The setup was automatic, detecting all connected devices, finding all available OTA channels and come to find out includes free Samsung TV Plus.  Suddenly I had a great TV guide with hundreds of channels all for free.  

I've been meaning to figure out why and if there is a catch so here it is.  It's a departure back to ad-supported television, so, yes most of the channels have commercials.  No doubt Samsung will be collecting and selling your data, just like every single other device, app and service does.  But, more importantly I think this is a move by the industry to distinguish themselves from their competitors.  It appears Samsung figured out a way to give you free tv if you continue to use their devices.

I don't know, pair this with a couple of your must have subscription service apps and it just seems to me to be another nail in the coffin for traditional cable/dish television.  

I guess I've been a little bit asleep the past couple years just watching whatever I want on Cinema.  Samsung TV Plus is similar to Pluto TV or Amazon's IMDb TV in generating a lot of ad-supported free channels.  I did notice the IMDb options appearing on the firestick, but, the firestick is clunky.

At any rate, super happy with Samsung TV Plus and the sleek interface and remote.  Wife doesn't have any trouble navigating with everything on one screen and integrated push of the button tv guide.  With OTA channels in there she won't be able to tell it isn't cable tv.  

Pluto is $$$. I'd gladly pay for the content (especially if eliminated ads in the process).

Philo is by far my favorite streaming service. Been with them since nearly their beginning and haven't had a single issue.

I can't sit through a ball game anymore. If I ever have any desire for sports (ie NCAA Tournament), I'll subscribe to a discounted or free month trial. Or there's a few low cost "alternative" sports streaming options.

I have family members (across the country...or I'd help them switch to streaming) that're still paying $100-$150+/mo for FN cable. And most of them watch "classic shows" that're available for free on Pluto/Prime/Philo or other services that can get for a handful $$/mo. I sent my uncle a Fire TV stick and asked me on the phone about the remote "What the #### is this? Where's the #s @?" :lmao:  

Switched from Hulu live to the Disney/Hulu/espn bundle for $20

just wasn’t watching enough live TV to justify the cost and Hulu has a ton of on demand content. 

I signed up for Discovery+ (huge discount promo for 6 months) since it seems like everything I watch is in their universe. It’s very impressive overall. One of the best streaming services I’ve seen to date. I don’t like that they are basically forcing folks into the service for new content, but this is the model these days. Some content never even hits cable at all. Sad. 

Users who are viewing this thread