Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

We've cut the cable

On 12/19/2021 at 3:28 PM, urbanhack said:

It’s back. 

So, I am able to find the game tonight on espn by going to “home” and searching sports.

the espn channels are not in my channel guide. How do we re-add them?

On 12/18/2021 at 12:07 PM, The Flying Turtle said:

YTTV is playing a dangerous game with the customers base  it is so easy to change now I am guessing they are going to lose a lot of people.  Back when people were locked into cable or Satellite the providers could rely on the difficulty of changing to retain customers but that is no longer the case. 

I thought they handled it well.  They said it like it is, even going so far as to tell customers they could subscribe to Disney on their own, as a solution.  NEVER would a cable company do that.  Refreshing change and as a result I had no intent of ditching YTTV.  Finally, some transparency and truth to the matter.  And they let customers know ahead of time, too.  So there was ample time to adjust.

That will stick in my head, just as long as what cable companies did to customers for decades.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harry Frogfish said:

I thought they handled it well.  They said it like it is, even going so far as to tell customers they could subscribe to Disney on their own, as a solution.  NEVER would a cable company do that.  Refreshing change and as a result I had no intent of ditching YTTV.  Finally, some transparency and truth to the matter.  And they let customers know ahead of time, too.  So there was ample time to adjust.

That will stick in my head, just as long as what cable companies did to customers for decades.

I recall Dish doing things like this before I replaced them. Free pay per views or free premium channels. Usually, the disputes didn’t take long. I haven’t seen one yet on Hulu but being part of Disney makes it easier, especially since they bought a bunch of Fox and I think NBC still owns a chunk of Hulu. Heck, they might still have Fox TV rights.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 8:16 PM, ChiefD said:

The only hitch in the giddy up is MLB. Bally Sports is the devil and is not available on any streaming service. They are supposedly working on a direct to consumer app as we speak but I’m not holding my breath on those a=holes.

Is this still the case? 

Ugh. I really want to cut the cord but while trialing YTTV I noticed I am only getting stereo sound. So after some investigation it seems that there is extremely limited 5.1 surround support by YTTV on a few devices on a few channels, Directv Stream offers surround sound on a few channels, and all of the other streaming services are stereo only.

I would love to switch to YTTV or a Hulu+ bundle, but by the time I add on 4K and unlimited DVR it’s approaching my cable bundle price and I don’t even get digital surround sound? Ugh.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/21/your-money/cable-streaming-bill.html?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits

What a ridiculous article, all proud of dropping content cost from $400 to $230/month, mostly due to short-term discounts.

I've abandoned the Fire stick long ago and just pay for a couple of streaming services, rotating around a bit to watch the best of different services.  I'm currently working through AMC+ (free for a year when my wife bought a phone) and HBO Max for a month.

On 1/15/2022 at 1:29 PM, GroveDiesel said:

Ugh. I really want to cut the cord but while trialing YTTV I noticed I am only getting stereo sound. So after some investigation it seems that there is extremely limited 5.1 surround support by YTTV on a few devices on a few channels, Directv Stream offers surround sound on a few channels, and all of the other streaming services are stereo only.

I would love to switch to YTTV or a Hulu+ bundle, but by the time I add on 4K and unlimited DVR it’s approaching my cable bundle price and I don’t even get digital surround sound? Ugh.

Just an FYI, but I never use the DVR on Hulu Live. I know it’s there and I do use it for sports but every show I watch is already saved in seasons. I never record any shows. I don’t know if YTTV does this but Hulu does and maybe that’s because they were created by the networks and so even non Hulu Live did have seasons of TV shows. It’s kind of nice because as soon  as a new show appears for a show I’ve watched it’s in my list to watch.

11 minutes ago, Tick said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/21/your-money/cable-streaming-bill.html?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits

What a ridiculous article, all proud of dropping content cost from $400 to $230/month, mostly due to short-term discounts.

I've abandoned the Fire stick long ago and just pay for a couple of streaming services, rotating around a bit to watch the best of different services.  I'm currently working through AMC+ (free for a year when my wife bought a phone) and HBO Max for a month.

Why did you drop the fire stick?  If it froze up too much, I’ve had much better luck with Apple TV.

7 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

Why did you drop the fire stick?  If it froze up too much, I’ve had much better luck with Apple TV.

Bought a Roku TV at some point, so I just use that.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

OMG, I wanna yell this from the mountain tops (of snow that's accumulated) but we got hit and we continue to get hit with snow today.  So far we've gotten about 6 or 7 inches, predicted to get a foot but for the first time in 15 years I woke up, turned on the TV (after getting 2-3 inches of ice and several inches of snow) and I didn't have to fish out an extendable pole with a squeegee attached to it and clear off the Dish on my roof to watch TV!!!

I'm still with Hulu, still saving over $65 per month and the ONLY negative thing I have is that I'm well into my 5th decade on this planet, so I'm from the past, and I've been programmed to associate channels with numbers.  I only wish I could assign numbers to channels in Hulu, that's my only gripe.  I love the interface options, recordings, not having to guess which local TV affiliate is in contract negotiations so not available this month, no stupid (outdated) boxes to deal with (nor being allowed to move the stupid, outdated boxes), the yearly increases, my neighbors trees and all the other non-sense I've been putting up with for so long now.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...