What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (11 Viewers)

Still no fix for espn though huh? Damn i really want to do this but I can't go without my live sports.
Dude, you can stream almost anything from myp2p.euThe quality for ESPN stuff should be really high.
Yeah... until it gets shut down. It seems our government has taken a shine lately to "protecting us" from streamed video content by seizing sites.
It's a European based site, so that might be a bit tougher.

Took step 1 today.

Cut my uverse back to locals only. Dropped total cost $35+tax to me. Will use this as a soft introduction to a HTPC setup with Xbox360 handling some functions, a WDLiveTV handing some others for now.

Will look into an antenna if this plays nice with the family.

I am trying to build a list of equipment needed. And was looking for suggestions.

Here is what I have so far.

HDTV w tuner

OTA Outside hd antenna

PS3

Netflix

What else do I add/need?

I read the article about adding a mini mac and the eye tv dongle for making a dvr but I am seeing some people complaining that you have to pay for tvguide annually to get the show grid after trial period. I just had the antenna outside for my garage tv but it works so well I am thinking of integrating the whole thing after reading this thread.

If any of you are using the boxee box or app (I run this through the older version of AppleTV), you should download the LiveTV app. You can watch live sports via JustinTV, which is excellent.
I think this is the route I will go, via Mac Mini (as mentioned on page 1).Linky outlining a pretty great set-up.
This setup is dope, but costs like $1000. I spent $50 for a used gen 1 AppleTV and downloaded the boxee app for free.

That other setup is way bettter but outside my price range. I have never owned (or used) a DVR.
I just did the AppleTV hack with both Boxee and XBMC. Awesome. Already owned the ATV so the cost was nill. Thanks for the tip.

I've been researching all this for a while, and this question just hit me...it may be a stupid one, but I do not know the answer to it. The outdoor HD antenna will run into my house through a coaxil cable...what is it supposed to be run to and back out of in order for it to connect to my TV through an HDMI cable??? My HDTV has a built in HD Tuner, but that still doesn't tell me how the coaxil is converted to HDMI before it reaches my TV, like what my HD DVR does.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been researching all this for a while, and this question just hit me...it may be a stupid one, but I do not know the answer to it. The outdoor HD antenna will run into my house through a coaxil cable...what is it supposed to be run to and back out of in order for it to connect to my TV through an HDMI cable??? My HDTV has a built in HD Tuner, but that still doesn't tell me how the coaxil is converted to HDMI before it reaches my TV, like what my HD DVR does.
If your tv has a tuner, it should have a coax input.

And the signal will be in HD. Thru the coax.

And the signal will be in HD. Thru the coax.
Oh, nice! Thanks.I'm ready to make the switch.

Instead of magicjack some of the cool kids are using Obihai Ob110 instead. Allows you to use google voice.

Bottom line, is the HD on this stuff (antenna, Roku, etc.) as good as anything you'd get with DTV or Comcast? Or, do you have to accept less quality?
Less? Quality should be a major improvement over any thing anyone has now. All antenna viewings I've ever seen were vastly better than cable/sat/fios.
For anything you can actually get on the antenna, it is an improvement in quality. All of these providers compress their signals in order to be able to get it all through their available bandwidth, some. The problem is getting similar quality on all of the other stuff.

Oh and for the record, U-Verse quality is complete crap on anything with motion. Bulls games were almost unwatchable to me on their service. You're going to love the antenna for your locals if you're happy with U-Verse. I'd like to make a switch to internet TV as well, except for 2 things. 1 - I need my Bulls games. 2 - I can't watch it if it's going to be U-Verse quality or worse.

Ok, so from what I gather, I can get rid of Comcast and still get 90% of everything I want through some combo of Netflix, Roku, Hulu, OTA, etc.

However, I am mostly concerned about preserving my sports quality of life. So, a few questions:

1. Living in Boston, is there ANY way to get Red Sox games? Seems like I'd be cutting out NESN if I kicked Comcast to the curb, right? MLB.com is out of the question because they black out the game here. So, do I have any other recourse?

2. NFL: Other than OTA CBS, FOX, NBC, what other options do I have? Can I stream ESPN3 or anyone else to carry any of the MNF games?

3. Red Zone Channel possible any other way other than Comcast?

4. Any other general concerns (or creative ideas) as work-arounds with sports-watching would be much appreciated.

I just called and canceled DirecTV.

Guess what their offer was? They were willing to waive our DVR fee of $7 dollars for 6 months. :mellow:

Way to fight to keep a customer! BTW we were with them for 11 years.

I just called and canceled DirecTV.Guess what their offer was? They were willing to waive our DVR fee of $7 dollars for 6 months. :mellow: Way to fight to keep a customer! BTW we were with them for 11 years.
Just wait.I called the other day, told them I'm canceling and paying a $340 early cancellation fee because their 'corporate policy' screwed me for $4. That pissed me off enough to realize I could switch to cable and save $50/month. Cable will also pay $280 of the $340. I'll break even in 5 weeks. The customer retention department offered me 1 month free. I declined.The next day, I got a call from DTV. They asked, again, why I canceled and I was patient enough to explain the whole issue. They offered a $150 credit and a receiver upgrade. I declined.The next day, I received another call from DTV asking why I canceled. I nicely cut them off before they could increase the offer.Two days later, I received a third call from DTV. I cut them off again, but wasn't as nice.ETA - I received my equipment return kit and everything was mailed back to DTV today. There's no turning back now.

So I've been researching the option of building my own HTPC. If I go this route, I want something small, quiet and energy efficient. And cheap. I came across this build, which seems like it fits nicely. I need to think about the tuner a little more, but the beauty of this type of system is that it's intended to run Windows7 Media Player. Not only is that free (well, not exactly considering you need a copy of Windows7), but you also can use an Xbox360 as a seemless extender to a remote TV. My readings claim you can get used a used Xbox for $100 at Gamestop. I haven't verified, but I haven't been able to find prices near $100 online.

Case: Antec ISK 310-150 Black / Silver w/ 150w PSU $80

Case Fan: SilverStone Suscool 81 w/ Thermal Control X2 $22

Motherboard: ASUS E35M1-I DELUXE $175

- Dual Core AMD Zacate

- AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics

RAM: G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB - 1.35V $45

Low Profile Tuner Card: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250 $45

Boot Drive: A-DATA S596 Turbo AS596TB-32GM-C 2.5" 32GB USB 2.0 & SATAII Internal / External Solid State Drive (SSD) $70

Data Drive: Seagate Momentus 5400.6 ST9500325AS 500GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive $55

Blu-Ray: LG Black 8X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 6X BD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Super-Multi Combo DriveModel CT21N Open Box $78

Windows Media Player Remote: Rosewill Windows Vista Certified Media center Infrared Remote Control RRC-126 $25

Optional mini keyboard: Logitech diNovo Mini Black 63 Normal Keys Bluetooth Wireless Mini Keyboard $120

Total: $595 +shipping. W/ keyboard, $715.

Add Windows 7 to complete the system.

For 2 digital tuners, remove the above tuner and remote and add this tuner for $130.

This was my guide. I had to come up with a few of my own parts, but I think the one's I picked are sufficient (Tuner, SSD drive, 500 gb HD, Remote)

FYI, I know somebody who sued directTV in small claims court regarding their cancellation fee and directTV ended up settling with them, reimbursing the fee and paying attorney and court costs.

Eta: I cancelled my movie package yesterday (except HBO). Not quite ready to cut the cable totally. FIOS is giving me HBO only for free 3 months and also offered me a $20 discount for 12 months also.

You'd be much better off running your antenna coax to your splitter (where your cable comes in and splits the signal to your wall coax outlets). Just replace the cable coming in from the cable co with your coax from your antenna. Then you can use all your wall outlets (ala cable).

So I've been researching the option of building my own HTPC. If I go this route, I want something small, quiet and energy efficient. And cheap. I came across this build, which seems like it fits nicely. I need to think about the tuner a little more, but the beauty of this type of system is that it's intended to run Windows7 Media Player. Not only is that free (well, not exactly considering you need a copy of Windows7), but you also can use an Xbox360 as a seemless extender to a remote TV. My readings claim you can get used a used Xbox for $100 at Gamestop. I haven't verified, but I haven't been able to find prices near $100 online.

Case: Antec ISK 310-150 Black / Silver w/ 150w PSU $80

Case Fan: SilverStone Suscool 81 w/ Thermal Control X2 $22

Motherboard: ASUS E35M1-I DELUXE $175

- Dual Core AMD Zacate

- AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics

RAM: G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB - 1.35V $45

Low Profile Tuner Card: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250 $45

Boot Drive: A-DATA S596 Turbo AS596TB-32GM-C 2.5" 32GB USB 2.0 & SATAII Internal / External Solid State Drive (SSD) $70

Data Drive: Seagate Momentus 5400.6 ST9500325AS 500GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive $55

Blu-Ray: LG Black 8X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 6X BD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Super-Multi Combo DriveModel CT21N Open Box $78

Windows Media Player Remote: Rosewill Windows Vista Certified Media center Infrared Remote Control RRC-126 $25

Optional mini keyboard: Logitech diNovo Mini Black 63 Normal Keys Bluetooth Wireless Mini Keyboard $120

Total: $595 +shipping. W/ keyboard, $715.

Add Windows 7 to complete the system.

For 2 digital tuners, remove the above tuner and remote and add this tuner for $130.

This was my guide. I had to come up with a few of my own parts, but I think the one's I picked are sufficient (Tuner, SSD drive, 500 gb HD, Remote)
I just got a 2nd Xbox for $90 shipped to use as an extender just last week and I didn't even try hard.

Ok, so from what I gather, I can get rid of Comcast and still get 90% of everything I want through some combo of Netflix, Roku, Hulu, OTA, etc.However, I am mostly concerned about preserving my sports quality of life. So, a few questions:1. Living in Boston, is there ANY way to get Red Sox games? Seems like I'd be cutting out NESN if I kicked Comcast to the curb, right? MLB.com is out of the question because they black out the game here. So, do I have any other recourse?2. NFL: Other than OTA CBS, FOX, NBC, what other options do I have? Can I stream ESPN3 or anyone else to carry any of the MNF games?3. Red Zone Channel possible any other way other than Comcast? 4. Any other general concerns (or creative ideas) as work-arounds with sports-watching would be much appreciated.
1) is bothering me quite a bit about rangers games. Now 20% of them are broadcast OTA here so I at least have that as a backup. Because mlb.tv is so widely available it is very common to find some of the best streams for it out there. MLB doesn't seem to care all that much. I'm counting on hooking my laptop to TV via HDMI to try this out before going to a HTPC type setup.

Still no fix for espn though huh? Damn i really want to do this but I can't go without my live sports.
Dude, you can stream almost anything from myp2p.euThe quality for ESPN stuff should be really high.
I think you need to have a 2" TV or be legally blind to consider this good quality.
:lmao: My thoughts exactly. The quality is decent on a laptop, but forget about anything bigger then that.

Ok, so from what I gather, I can get rid of Comcast and still get 90% of everything I want through some combo of Netflix, Roku, Hulu, OTA, etc.

However, I am mostly concerned about preserving my sports quality of life. So, a few questions:

1. Living in Boston, is there ANY way to get Red Sox games? Seems like I'd be cutting out NESN if I kicked Comcast to the curb, right? MLB.com is out of the question because they black out the game here. So, do I have any other recourse?

2. NFL: Other than OTA CBS, FOX, NBC, what other options do I have? Can I stream ESPN3 or anyone else to carry any of the MNF games?

4. Any other general concerns (or creative ideas) as work-arounds with sports-watching would be much appreciated.
1) is bothering me quite a bit about rangers games. Now 20% of them are broadcast OTA here so I at least have that as a backup. Because mlb.tv is so widely available it is very common to find some of the best streams for it out there. MLB doesn't seem to care all that much. I'm counting on hooking my laptop to TV via HDMI to try this out before going to a HTPC type setup.
Is the "HD" feed they offer comparable to a normal HD feed on directv? I notice HD feeds from internet sources look good on computers with 20+" screens but blow it up on a 60" TV and it's not so HD anymore.

Is the "HD" feed they offer comparable to a normal HD feed on directv? I notice HD feeds from internet sources look good on computers with 20+" screens but blow it up on a 60" TV and it's not so HD anymore.
Depends on your bandwidth. They have some other software addons to manage the HD content.

'Dragons said:
'Jobber said:
I just called and canceled DirecTV.Guess what their offer was? They were willing to waive our DVR fee of $7 dollars for 6 months. :mellow: Way to fight to keep a customer! BTW we were with them for 11 years.
Just wait.I called the other day, told them I'm canceling and paying a $340 early cancellation fee because their 'corporate policy' screwed me for $4. That pissed me off enough to realize I could switch to cable and save $50/month. Cable will also pay $280 of the $340. I'll break even in 5 weeks. The customer retention department offered me 1 month free. I declined.The next day, I got a call from DTV. They asked, again, why I canceled and I was patient enough to explain the whole issue. They offered a $150 credit and a receiver upgrade. I declined.The next day, I received another call from DTV asking why I canceled. I nicely cut them off before they could increase the offer.Two days later, I received a third call from DTV. I cut them off again, but wasn't as nice.ETA - I received my equipment return kit and everything was mailed back to DTV today. There's no turning back now.
hey did you have to send back the dish? I would have taken the month free at least and then cancelled?? :shrug:

'Dragons said:
'Jobber said:
hey did you have to send back the dish? I would have taken the month free at least and then cancelled?? :shrug:
Nope, the dish is still on my roof. I suppose I could have taken the free month, but I wonder if they would have recommitted me to 2 years, which would have put my termination fee back at $480. I'm almost certain they would have done this if I took the receiver upgrade.

'Dragons said:
'Jobber said:
Nope, the dish is still on my roof. I suppose I could have taken the free month, but I wonder if they would have recommitted me to 2 years, which would have put my termination fee back at $480. I'm almost certain they would have done this if I took the receiver upgrade.
cool thanks, was curious about the dish. Yea on the receiver they would have, not on the credit though. I have gotten enough free stuff from them by saying I am canceling to know that.

All we did was call DirecTv to ask if we were under an agreement right now. They said we weren't and cut our bill by $5/month. Not much, but I think it's funny that they cut it just because we called to ask. We are only currently paying $52/month.

Okay, I'm a few months from doing this, but when I'm past the cancelation fee for DirecTV, I'll be making some kind of move.

Here's what I care about:

-NFL games

-Science shows like Mutant Planet

-US soccer games

-Phone calls that ring on all house phones

-DVR functions: available content at any time, ability to avoid commercials

We already have an HDTV, a Wii, and Netflix, which we use via the Wii. We also have an old Tivo with a lifetime contract that still works, though we use the DirecTV DVR instead right now. We only have one TV that we really watch in the house, though it might be nice to have content available on a second.

We have internet service that's not part of a bundle. Our landline phone service is through Vonage.

How do MajicJack and Vonage compare? Is there a good way to get our cell phones to ring on our home phones when we're home?

If I got a Roku and an antenna, it seems that all I'd be missing is the US soccer games, but I suppose I could watch those through ESPN3 or something. If I wanted to pause NFL games or skip commercials, would I need a computer, or could I do it through the old Tivo?

Okay, I'm a few months from doing this, but when I'm past the cancelation fee for DirecTV, I'll be making some kind of move.

-NFL games

-US soccer games

We already have an HDTV, a Wii, and Netflix, which we use via the Wii. We also have an old Tivo with a lifetime contract that still works, though we use the DirecTV DVR instead right now. We only have one TV that we really watch in the house, though it might be nice to have content available on a second.

We have internet service that's not part of a bundle. Our landline phone service is through Vonage.

How do MajicJack and Vonage compare? Is there a good way to get our cell phones to ring on our home phones when we're home?

If I got a Roku and an antenna, it seems that all I'd be missing is the US soccer games, but I suppose I could watch those through ESPN3 or something. If I wanted to pause NFL games or skip commercials, would I need a computer, or could I do it through the old Tivo?
I believe there are bluetooth cordless phones that you can connect to your cell phone. I don't know if it will automatically ring all phones in the house when your cell phone rings, but it's a start.

-NFL games

-US soccer games

I believe there are bluetooth cordless phones that you can connect to your cell phone. I don't know if it will automatically ring all phones in the house when your cell phone rings, but it's a start.
That is an option. One other option that is really trendy right now is the Obi110 which allows google voice to ring your cell phones and home phones at the same time.

Okay, I'm a few months from doing this, but when I'm past the cancelation fee for DirecTV, I'll be making some kind of move.Here's what I care about:-NFL games-Science shows like Mutant Planet-US soccer games-Phone calls that ring on all house phones-DVR functions: available content at any time, ability to avoid commercialsWe already have an HDTV, a Wii, and Netflix, which we use via the Wii. We also have an old Tivo with a lifetime contract that still works, though we use the DirecTV DVR instead right now. We only have one TV that we really watch in the house, though it might be nice to have content available on a second.We have internet service that's not part of a bundle. Our landline phone service is through Vonage.How do MajicJack and Vonage compare? Is there a good way to get our cell phones to ring on our home phones when we're home?If I got a Roku and an antenna, it seems that all I'd be missing is the US soccer games, but I suppose I could watch those through ESPN3 or something. If I wanted to pause NFL games or skip commercials, would I need a computer, or could I do it through the old Tivo?
We have cordless phones that ring all over the house. There is the one "base station" that is plugged into the MajicJack, and the base station rings all the phones. To get your cell phones to ring I would recommend Google voice and forward all calls to any nmbers you have. You have to get a new phone number anyway (MajicJack isn't porting old numbers), might as well get one for google voice too.The Roku has a Soccer Channel, but I haven't watched it cause well, I don't like soccer.

Okay, I'm a few months from doing this, but when I'm past the cancelation fee for DirecTV, I'll be making some kind of move.Here's what I care about:-NFL games-Science shows like Mutant Planet-US soccer games-Phone calls that ring on all house phones-DVR functions: available content at any time, ability to avoid commercialsWe already have an HDTV, a Wii, and Netflix, which we use via the Wii. We also have an old Tivo with a lifetime contract that still works, though we use the DirecTV DVR instead right now. We only have one TV that we really watch in the house, though it might be nice to have content available on a second.We have internet service that's not part of a bundle. Our landline phone service is through Vonage.How do MajicJack and Vonage compare? Is there a good way to get our cell phones to ring on our home phones when we're home?If I got a Roku and an antenna, it seems that all I'd be missing is the US soccer games, but I suppose I could watch those through ESPN3 or something. If I wanted to pause NFL games or skip commercials, would I need a computer, or could I do it through the old Tivo?
We have cordless phones that ring all over the house. There is the one "base station" that is plugged into the MajicJack, and the base station rings all the phones. To get your cell phones to ring I would recommend Google voice and forward all calls to any nmbers you have. You have to get a new phone number anyway (MajicJack isn't porting old numbers), might as well get one for google voice too.The Roku has a Soccer Channel, but I haven't watched it cause well, I don't like soccer.
Google voice allows number porting from cell phones if you want to go that way. You can also port your landline to a cellphone and then later to google voice. You can't go straight from landline to google voice.

so... what is Roku?
RokuI rave about the thing all the time around here. There's probably people who think I'm pulling a Mr. Ham and my wife works for them.

Best entertainment purchase I've ever made.
do you have a review or something that I could take a peak at? I am intrigued.
How about this one?engadget review
I'm a little confused by the differences between the Wifi on the two higher models of the Roku. Is the highest model just more likely to pick up a signal anywhere in the house?

P2P solutions are probably going to solve most of these problems. if you are willing to follow a pay model then nfl sunday ticket is available with an online subscription model for like $350. this includes RZ channel too.

P2P solutions are probably going to solve most of these problems. if you are willing to follow a pay model then nfl sunday ticket is available with an online subscription model for like $350. this includes RZ channel too.
Maybe I didn't read the fine print, but isn't that only available to people that can't get directtv not people that don't want to get directtv?

Okay, what's this thing?

Ooma Telo

It sounds like a mystical, magical device. Bluetooth connection to your cell phones to make them ring on your home phone, plus something that might be equivalent to majicjack where you pay nothing for US calls. Does anyone know anything about this thingy?

Maybe I didn't read the fine print, but isn't that only available to people that can't get directtv not people that don't want to get directtv?
if you had directv at one point in time at that residence then i think you aren't going to be able to have use their online subscription. the verification system looks voluntary though.

I cannot stress this enough the Obi110 may potentially be the best purchase I have ever made.

It's easy enough that the wife can use it. Took less than 5 minutes to setup and is flawless in quality.

I've used vonage before and this is so far and away better than vonage it's ridiculous.

I cannot stress this enough the Obi110 may potentially be the best purchase I have ever made.It's easy enough that the wife can use it. Took less than 5 minutes to setup and is flawless in quality. I've used vonage before and this is so far and away better than vonage it's ridiculous.
Would something like this be useful for someone (my parents) who dont want to drop their landline phone # because they've had it for decades but really dont use it much anymore? I'm really pushing the OTA setup for them but the stupid LL phone # (bundled with their cable package) is a major roadblock.Or do I simply need to learn about google voice?

I cannot stress this enough the Obi110 may potentially be the best purchase I have ever made.It's easy enough that the wife can use it. Took less than 5 minutes to setup and is flawless in quality. I've used vonage before and this is so far and away better than vonage it's ridiculous.
OK so i buy this thing, hook it into my home network and i can use my google voice number as basically a home phone line?

OK so i buy this thing, hook it into my home network and i can use my google voice number as basically a home phone line?
Precisely.

Users who are viewing this thread