What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (6 Viewers)

This may be the game changer for me to finally cut the cord from DTv.  Love my Firestick TV device.  I'd upgrade to the FireTV though for more firepower on my main TV.

I know how stupid this sounds but.... I am not real clear on what a smart tv is. I think its a tv that already has netflix,amazon prime,hulu etc ... installed on it. If I am correct and that is the case would a smart tv negate the need for a fire stick?
Smart TV's don't make much sense for many people. A dedicated streaming device like Roku or Fire will let you use a ton of different streaming services. Smart TV's are generally more limited. In my experience, they are also far more annoying to use.

Looking over Vue, it seems the key will be the part about DVR and on-demand availability varying. 

Vue sounds awesome, but I like the Roku quite a bit and like Sling well enough. The main difference for me would be Vue having FX, FXX, and Sundance. With the added $10/month, that wouldn't be enough for me to switch, as I don't mind buying shows like Rectify, OJ, and Fargo on Amazon. USA would be nice though, as I don't want to buy Mr. Robot having never seen it at all.

The vastness of the DVR/On-demand capabilities would probably be the key to me looking into switching some devices over.

Mostly, I just hope this causes Sling to up it's game or that Roku can get in on Vue.

For me for just the channels me or the wifey watch I'd be giving up Adult Swim, El Ray and History for Animal Planet, CNBC, Discovery, FS1, FX, Science and Syfy.  Since I'm the only one that watches Adult Swim and El Ray plus the Vue has a bunch of DIY type channels that she might watch when I'm at work, the Vue looks a lot more attractive.  So awesome to have choices!

Also, and I know local channels would be huge for some people, I'm fine with OTA.  I think it will be a long time before we replace all the channels that are still available OTA like Create and the local PBS channels for example.  The reason Vue isn't able to get live locals everywhere right now is because the big market's programming (ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS) is sold out to the smaller markets where they take over for the local news etc.  It's going to take a while for someone like Vue to get all those contracts in place like the cable companies have had for so long.

For me for just the channels me or the wifey watch I'd be giving up Adult Swim, El Ray and History for Animal Planet, CNBC, Discovery, FS1, FX, Science and Syfy.  Since I'm the only one that watches Adult Swim and El Ray plus the Vue has a bunch of DIY type channels that she might watch when I'm at work, the Vue looks a lot more attractive.  So awesome to have choices!

Also, and I know local channels would be huge for some people, I'm fine with OTA.  I think it will be a long time before we replace all the channels that are still available OTA like Create and the local PBS channels for example.  The reason Vue isn't able to get live locals everywhere right now is because the big market's programming (ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS) is sold out to the smaller markets where they take over for the local news etc.  It's going to take a while for someone like Vue to get all those contracts in place like the cable companies have had for so long.
Vue has Cartoon Network, you would get adult swim through that I assume.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is because all local channels are included, and I'm guessing here but maybe RSN fees for Comcast SportsNet Philly? That would be my guess as to why Philly is higher than the national band, but I'm not 100% on that. 
So I wouldn't need an OTA antenna after all? Just plug in the Fire TV and I'm good to go? Hmmm. Very tempting.

Somehow missed the post Vue was nationwide above and discovered news elsewhere tonight. I've been singing the praises of Sling but if Vue keep close to these prices, Sling will lose a lot of business. Trying it again now. Getting 62 channels for $30. Good timing to release nationwide with NCAA tourney, MLB and NBA playoffs coming.

Cable companies are going to get absolutely pounded. A lot of people are just gonna stick their middle finger up at them. Prices & cnahnels available on Vue (compared to cable) aren't even comparable to even have a desire to negotiate in my market.

So I wouldn't need an OTA antenna after all? Just plug in the Fire TV and I'm good to go? Hmmm. Very tempting.
If I'm reading that right, the Philly market starts at $50 if you want broadcast channels included, and even if it started lower, personally, I'd still want to have an antenna.

These packages, while a great value right now (as cable once seemed long ago), are still somewhat similar to cable (still paying a significant monthly fee for access to a bunch of channels we probably won't watch). What happens when the price starts to go up? What happens when ISP's start doing more throttling and capping?

To me, accessing those free broadcast signals is very important. We're talking 20-30+ channels absolutely free (and I assume even more in the Philly market). They also don't tie up your internet bandwidth. Even paying an extra $10/mo for those just doesn't seem right. We're talking about something that's free.

When we are talking about paying for something that should be free just to keep things simple and all in one place, that's how we all got so reliant on cable in the first place. Not that there's anything wrong with paying for that kind of convenience, but to me, whenever possible, it just make sense to access the solid bundle of free OTA channels to keep options open.

Somehow missed the post Vue was nationwide above and discovered news elsewhere tonight. I've been singing the praises of Sling but if Vue keep close to these prices, Sling will lose a lot of business. Trying it again now. Getting 62 channels for $30. Good timing to release nationwide with NCAA tourney, MLB and NBA playoffs coming.

Cable companies are going to get absolutely pounded. A lot of people are just gonna stick their middle finger up at them. Prices & cnahnels available on Vue (compared to cable) aren't even comparable to even have a desire to negotiate in my market.
With you here. Time will tell, but I think Internet only + a Vue-like package is the way to go now and in the future. Right now, in the Philly market with locals and 0% discount on Blast! internet, I'm looking at $125 out the door. Which is my current 2-year promo rate for Xfinity Blast! internet plus all basic channels. I'll take the advice provided previously in this thread to go into a store and get Blast! reduced and just get Vue once my promo 2-year deal is up this summer. I have to imagine that "go to the store" loophole gets closed if this movement gains more steam, but here's to hoping it doesn't. 

ILUVBEER99 said:
I use around 160 - 180 GB a month, all my television watching is done via streaming (KODI).  During football season it can get into the 300 GB area watching multiple games all day/night.

I've heard Amazon Prime uses an insane amount of data.  Using that a lot you could get into the 1000 GB a month area.
Well that's not going to be cost effective, need to wait until some better internet options show up by me :(

With you here. Time will tell, but I think Internet only + a Vue-like package is the way to go now and in the future. Right now, in the Philly market with locals and 0% discount on Blast! internet, I'm looking at $125 out the door. Which is my current 2-year promo rate for Xfinity Blast! internet plus all basic channels. I'll take the advice provided previously in this thread to go into a store and get Blast! reduced and just get Vue once my promo 2-year deal is up this summer. I have to imagine that "go to the store" loophole gets closed if this movement gains more steam, but here's to hoping it doesn't. 
Could you give me a little more detail about getting a discount on Blast? I must have missed the earlier post. I am in the Philly market as well.

Anyone have experience with 1byone antennas? Came across them while shopping for a Leaf on Amazon. Power-amplified HD antenna only costs $30, boasts a 50-mile range. Five-star rated on Amazon, but I was curious if any of the gurus in here had an opinion...?
Coupon code gets you $7 off on amazon right now  Coupon 886LPIAB

http://slickdeals.net/f/8565690-7-off-1byone-amplified-hdtv-antenna-50-miles-range-with-usb-power-supply-and-20-feet-coaxial-cable-white-black-22-99-ac-amazon-prime?v=1

Could you give me a little more detail about getting a discount on Blast? I must have missed the earlier post. I am in the Philly market as well.
Tonydead mentioned in a post a while back in the thread that if you go into a physical XFinity! storefront and negotiate your bill down in person that you can get a solid discount on internet only subscriptions, whereas if you try to get a discount on internet only over the phone you'll get stonewalled by XFinity! customer service. I can't speak to this yet because I'm in contract until August, but will absolutely go down this route and likely couple with Vue going forward.

From what I've noticed, looks like Playstation Vue is a "TV Provider" option on some TV sites (TruTV/MTV/Im sure there's others). I haven't tried either yet but Vue is a provider option for some on demand stuff.  I dont think I've used this App before (so can't provide how good it is) but Vue is also a "TV Provider" for the March Madness Live App for upcoming NCAA tourney.

From what I've noticed, looks like Playstation Vue is a "TV Provider" option on some TV sites (TruTV/MTV/Im sure there's others). I haven't tried either yet but Vue is a provider option for some on demand stuff.  I dont think I've used this App before (so can't provide how good it is) but Vue is also a "TV Provider" for the March Madness Live App for upcoming NCAA tourney.
Vue is also a provider for the NBC Sports Extra service, which is cash money for English Premier League games and other NBC Sports offerings. This is a big reason why I signed up for Vue in the first place.

BTW, it looks like Tru TV is on Sling at last through early April (showing one of the worthless NCAA play-in games right now). I assume the pressure from Vue helped get that added for the tourney.

March Madness Live App working on FireTV (with Vue). Quality on the app as game went along significantly worse than what get on SportsDevil or TruTV channel itself (via Vue). (Update: Had to reboot the March Madness Live app and quality seems back to clear)

TruTV has been on Sling from nearly the beginning. (I know I watched tourney play in with it last year with Sling....think was added a couple days before last year's tourney) Always been in their $5 LifeStyle Extra package.To remain competitive Sling is probably going to add a few more channels to their current $20 Best of Live TV package. (Or add more available channels to their $5 packages)

March Madness Live App working on FireTV (with Vue). Quality on the app as game went along significantly worse than what get on SportsDevil or TruTV channel itself (via Vue). (Update: Had to reboot the March Madness Live app and quality seems back to clear)

TruTV has been on Sling from nearly the beginning. (I know I watched tourney play in with it last year with Sling....think was added a couple days before last year's tourney) Always been in their $5 LifeStyle Extra package.To remain competitive Sling is probably going to add a few more channels to their current $20 Best of Live TV package. (Or add more available channels to their $5 packages)
I don't remember seeing it on there before. Maybe they did it last year for the tourney (I didn't have it then).

I would prefer that Sling just upgraded it's options with Vue now in the marketplace (with all Roku and Android products, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that Vue launched without supporting either). It would make sense that they could have some serious upgrades, as they've previously operated with no real competition other than cable. 

Tonydead mentioned in a post a while back in the thread that if you go into a physical XFinity! storefront and negotiate your bill down in person that you can get a solid discount on internet only subscriptions, whereas if you try to get a discount on internet only over the phone you'll get stonewalled by XFinity! customer service. I can't speak to this yet because I'm in contract until August, but will absolutely go down this route and likely couple with Vue going forward.
Found tonydead's original post re: negotiating with Xfinity. Question - were you offered a deal that day after cancelling your bundled service on the spot? Or had you previously canceled service over the phone?

Found tonydead's original post re: negotiating with Xfinity. Question - were you offered a deal that day after cancelling your bundled service on the spot? Or had you previously canceled service over the phone?
I didn't talk to anyone on the phone at all.  I was cutting the cable and knew I had to return all their equipment anyway.  I was expecting a sales pitch etc. and they simply took everything back without question, cancelled everything but cable and told me I had to pay $60 a month for 50Mbps until the billing cycled.  She told me to come back after one month and she'd give me a better deal, told me to not call on the phone.  I mentioned how I hated to talk to customer service on the phone and she briefly explained that she understood and that the service department you get on the phone is a different part of their company.  That's why I had to come back in person.   I came back after a month and got 50Mbps for $44.99 a month, no contract, no strings attached.

Do not call on the phone.  Do not go to a Comcast warehouse.  Go into an Xfinity Store.

I didn't talk to anyone on the phone at all.  I was cutting the cable and knew I had to return all their equipment anyway.  I was expecting a sales pitch etc. and they simply took everything back without question, cancelled everything but cable and told me I had to pay $60 a month for 50Mbps until the billing cycled.  She told me to come back after one month and she'd give me a better deal, told me to not call on the phone.  I mentioned how I hated to talk to customer service on the phone and she briefly explained that she understood and that the service department you get on the phone is a different part of their company.  That's why I had to come back in person.   I came back after a month and got 50Mbps for $44.99 a month, no contract, no strings attached.

Do not call on the phone.  Do not go to a Comcast warehouse.  Go into an Xfinity Store.
:goodposting:

Pin this, seriously.

Anyone have a review of Sony Vue Tv yet? I got a notice that it is in my city and it looks like it has some promise. 
I've had it the last couple days. Streams are beautiful and I have yet to see a single buffer. The guide layout takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do, it's solid.

I love it. :thumbup:

Anyone have a review of Sony Vue Tv yet? I got a notice that it is in my city and it looks like it has some promise. 
For $30 for 62 channels for their Slim package is quite a deal. Solid streams with DVR capability. I use Kodi for about anything live sports (and rarely watch other TV show live), but will probably keep Vue until the prices go up.

Doesn't have local channels, but the local channel need via Vue is only needed for a very very small % of total customers. Most can throw up an antenna to get those. No need to cater to that small crowd. And the small % of the others can stick with cable and get gouged by them. I imagine it'll be a slow process, but locals should be available to most over time.

Any new modem recommendations? Getting pretty antsy to pull the trigger on this thing. I've got a router picked out, but not set on a modem yet. 

Also, if you are looking to spend a little more ($150), the 6190 just came out. It's even faster than the 6183 (first gigabit cable modem, I think).

Also, if you are looking to spend a little more ($150), the 6190 just came out. It's even faster than the 6183 (first gigabit cable modem, I think).
Nice. And since I know this stuff changes rapidly, will the newer recommended routers (from this thread, which is where I got my "to buy" list) work with the 6190's new speed? 

Nathan R. Jessep said:
Nice. And since I know this stuff changes rapidly, will the newer recommended routers (from this thread, which is where I got my "to buy" list) work with the 6190's new speed? 
Surfboard modems are pretty danged solid all the way around.

I don't know about all routers but I can say the ASUS router I recommended up thread works flawlessly with the Surboard 6141 and 6183.  And it's pretty locked up for futureuses as tech advances. 

Surfboard modems are pretty danged solid all the way around.

I don't know about all routers but I can say the ASUS router I recommended up thread works flawlessly with the Surboard 6141 and 6183.  And it's pretty locked up for futureuses as tech advances. 
Refresh me on which model of ASUS that was?

Refresh me on which model of ASUS that was?
I'm not sure which he recommended but I have the Asus RT-N66U, (I got a refurbished one for less than that).  That model isn't an "AC" router, which currently relatively few things take advantage of (the newest iphones and android phones do, the roku 4, the latest amazon fire tv, and very new laptops).  If you want/need an "AC" router, go with the Asus RT-66AC or RT-68AC (slightly newer, but more expensive). 

This is the weekend I am hooking up the antennae and cutting satellite. I have to say I am nervous about it. My biggest concern is the data cap on xfinity. I am wondering if anyone else has tried the following: I have a friend who says he got the business plan from comcast which has zero cap. I have a second job and I am paid as an independent contractor. Technically I do some internet work at home for this job but that is REALLY stretching it. Has anyone here went in for the business plan and gotten away with it? I am also wondering if I can really push the envelope and claim the internet cost on my taxes?

I really just just the internet to view instructional videos so......... :oldunsure:

Thanks and I am going to be really pist if I miss the Walking Dead on Sunday after cutting the satellite.

* I am going antennae for local, and firestick for Hulu,Netflix, Kodi

This is the weekend I am hooking up the antennae and cutting satellite. I have to say I am nervous about it. My biggest concern is the data cap on xfinity. I am wondering if anyone else has tried the following: I have a friend who says he got the business plan from comcast which has zero cap. I have a second job and I am paid as an independent contractor. Technically I do some internet work at home for this job but that is REALLY stretching it. Has anyone here went in for the business plan and gotten away with it? I am also wondering if I can really push the envelope and claim the internet cost on my taxes?

I really just just the internet to view instructional videos so......... :oldunsure:

Thanks and I am going to be really pist if I miss the Walking Dead on Sunday after cutting the satellite.

* I am going antennae for local, and firestick for Hulu,Netflix, Kodi
I do the later, but I don't know why I couldn't do the former.  Why should comcast care about the legitimacy of my business I run from my home?  In fact, the prior owner of my house apparently had a business class comcast account.  The cap you speak of, what is it, and is it enforced?  I have a "cap" at 250 GB, but they don't enforce it - and we typically use between 100-200 each month.

Started 7 day trial of Vue. NOT that impressed so far and probably won't be switching from Sling if things don't improve:

1- Sound is horrible. Is anyone else getting 5.1 surround?  I'm not.

2- Maybe it's just my area, but, I've had buffering/lag issues more so than sling. 

3- Takes time to get used to the layout, which doesn't bother me but, the old lady will get frustrated and is already used to sling on roku and Xbox.  

Just one day and have yet to try it on a fire stick, but, pretty disappointed so far.

Hit some really, really nasty layout issues. I have a feeling a lot of people signed up for the trail just for March Madness and it's overloading servers.

May just drop after the trial and hope it improves. Very disappointing.

2- Maybe it's just my area, but, I've had buffering/lag issues more so than sling. 
Might not just be your area. I've had it for a few days but it's been really spotty here (buffering) watching the 2nd half of the Texas/UNI game. Almost unwatchable. (Hadn't run into any issues in the time -- albeit rather limited -- I've used prior to tonight).

Edit: Just remembered I was using the March Madness app to watch all previous games prior to 2nd half of Texas/UNI tonight. But the buffering right now is really bad.

Users who are viewing this thread