What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (4 Viewers)

belljr, I think you've got it sized up about right. I basically comes down to whether the $50-80/mo savings is worth having less convenience and a few less options (though, really not much on the latter).

How much less convenient it is and whether that's worth it or not will vary from person to person. Personally, I really don't find it inconvenient at all. It's a matter of pushing an input button every once in a while. Not a big deal to me, but sometimes it seems like pushing that input button may as well be climbing Mt. Everest to my wife. 

This thread can make things seem overwhelming or complicated, but it's not. I don't do anything related to terms like Kodi or HTPC. I have an OTA antenna and Roku device for each TV. That's it. I subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, MLB.tv, and Sling (all on the Roku). I haven't gotten to the point of wanting a DVR yet, as a combination of Hulu, Sling's on-demand, and buying shows takes care of all that for me.

If a cheap indoor antenna will work for you, I'd suggest trying to cut the cord on one of your TV's for a month to see if it feels like a hassle to you. That'd involve a $30 antenna from Home Depot (so you can return it), the Firestick you already own, and a trial of Sling or Vue (I have and like Sling, but Vue would probably make more sense for you). Just disconnect your Comcast reciever on that TV. We did that on one TV for a while before cutting completely.

The savings are well worth it to me, but I could see it not being for everybody.
:thumbup:  Thanks

LOl about the wife.  That would be my biggest headache.  my daughter would adapt quickly I think as long as she can get her nick shows :)

Last edited by a moderator:
NutterButter said:
anybody use a raspberry pi 3 to be their media player?   Amazon has all you need for what seems like a nice convenient price.  I'm hoping that it provides a nice web browser experience so that I can play sports on the tv from my illegal site without having to hook up the laptop any longer.
I have a raspberry pi 2 that I installed Kodi on.  From what I've seen the 3 is just a bit faster, and has wifi built in rather than from a USB dongle.  I haven't tried any web browser interface (does kodi even have one?), as I can typically find the sport I want to watch through a kodi app (or whatever the term would be). 

I have a raspberry pi 2 that I installed Kodi on.  From what I've seen the 3 is just a bit faster, and has wifi built in rather than from a USB dongle.  I haven't tried any web browser interface (does kodi even have one?), as I can typically find the sport I want to watch through a kodi app (or whatever the term would be). 
kodi doesn't but you can install one for linux.  i know nothing about this, but i guess for 3 they came up with software called noobs that makes installing an os a piece of cake.  i have a service i pay for that has a great web app with cable hd quality but the only time i tried using it via plex on my smart tv it was not good so i'd like to stick to the web app which i know works great.

kodi doesn't but you can install one for linux.  i know nothing about this, but i guess for 3 they came up with software called noobs that makes installing an os a piece of cake.  i have a service i pay for that has a great web app with cable hd quality but the only time i tried using it via plex on my smart tv it was not good so i'd like to stick to the web app which i know works great.
Yeah, I bought a "kit" that came with noobs as well.  No issues installing an OS.

Check out Slingtv and Vue, both have ESPNs.  Vue has a soccer package.  Sling has a sports package too, just don't remember what channels.  

I use a VPN for NFL.com and put my IP address outside of North America and get the full Ticket with Redzone and NFL Channel for $125/year.  
Vue is off the Play Station, correct? I did the Google thing but every reference i saw it was based off the PS.

NM. I found this

I just pulled the trigger on an Amazon Fire TV bundle with the  indoor antenna and HDMI cable. It seems like there is a sale going on. My bundle was $94.99 before tax.

It should be here Saturday and I'm thinking about hooking it up in the bedroom and start going through some trial subs like Vue, Sling TV, Hulu, CBS All Access. Am I missing any? I'm hoping that my cut will be within the month.

I just pulled the trigger on an Amazon Fire TV bundle with the  indoor antenna and HDMI cable. It seems like there is a sale going on. My bundle was $94.99 before tax.

It should be here Saturday and I'm thinking about hooking it up in the bedroom and start going through some trial subs like Vue, Sling TV, Hulu, CBS All Access. Am I missing any? I'm hoping that my cut will be within the month.
KODI with Exodus add-on. No need for Vue, Sling, Hulu, etc with that.  Also can get a primo HD sports streaming service for $10 a month if you look around.

I don't understand Apple TV at all. Is it really $150 for a device that won't stream Amazon, Vue, or Sling? I know more people that have an Apple TV than that have a Roku or Fire TV though. 
I said upstream somewhere that I went Appletv for the convenience factor related to the wife. It was an easy way to take something that has the potential to be frustrating to people who just want to click a button and it works and offer the seamless mirroring, etc (which does work perfectly).

With that being said, had it not been for that fact and being linked to their ecosystem, I would have definitely went Roku4. I really think Apple missed the boat on this one and could have locked down this market HARD had they moved a few years ago. But they seemed to drag their feet.  As pioneers with a device like the iPhone, their next logical step had them in a place where they could have been blazing every new trail out there but instead they have been passed.

On another note re: customer service, I bought two Appletv boxes when I cut the cable and one of them was just a little wonky and unreliable. I have to say of all the APple products I've bought in the last 6-7 years, this is the first one that hasn't been rock solid and just worked. I guess it happens.  Anyway, I was expecting a bit of a confrontation with getting it resolved because I actually lost my receipt and had the device for more than 6 weeks and when I went into the store, they immediately just took it out of my hand and within ten minutes I had a new, unopened box and a lot of "We're sorry" statements.  I think there is something to be said about that because you simply don't get it from a lot of places these days.

How is the Roku issue experience when problems arise? I imagine Amazon is likely no problem at all. 

Was having some issues with Exodus recently.  Search didn't work, the only "year" folder that had anything in it was 2016.  Nothing was in any other folders (what people are watching, genre, recently added).  Uninstalled it and reinstalled last night, back to it's former glory and possibly even better.  So happy.

I just came back to mention that I saw that on Amazon for anyone who is getting ready to take the plunge.

That's a pretty solid deal and I think it is interesting to see this type of offering from Amazon because you know they have the resources to be in the know on what is trending.  I take it as a sign that this movement (although WE all know it) is starting to get some legit traction. 

I talked to my parents about making this switch and I think the older generation is still a bit in the "don't like the fuss" mentality, which is crazy to me because that generation, I always thought, was all about doing things that you can do yourself, relying less on others, saving money.  I told my parents I could save them $150/mo and I would do all the leg work. No dice...yet.

PSA to anyone using SportsAccess.se: Comcast found a way to figure out where there traffic was coming from and is now throttling anyone using their service. VPN highly suggested. I suspect this is not the last service or last time Comcast goes to battle with cord cutters streaming live sports on their internet infrastructure.

ok, no go on the web browser on raspbian since there's no version of flash for the rp; website uses falsh.   Good news is that OSMC operating system for the pi which is essentially a kodi os is pretty awesome.  Only been playing with it for about an hour but it was so simple getting that, installing the plugin for my sports site and hooking up to my network share for all my movies.  No problem playing all the different movie formats.   Sports site is even better on the plugin as it maintains sounds and a small picture of the current channel while you browser the schedule for other games.  Just perfect so far.  

eta:  Kodi has an remote app for android which works perfectly.   So easy to set all of this up.   

I said upstream somewhere that I went Appletv for the convenience factor related to the wife. It was an easy way to take something that has the potential to be frustrating to people who just want to click a button and it works and offer the seamless mirroring, etc (which does work perfectly).

With that being said, had it not been for that fact and being linked to their ecosystem, I would have definitely went Roku4. I really think Apple missed the boat on this one and could have locked down this market HARD had they moved a few years ago. But they seemed to drag their feet.  As pioneers with a device like the iPhone, their next logical step had them in a place where they could have been blazing every new trail out there but instead they have been passed.

On another note re: customer service, I bought two Appletv boxes when I cut the cable and one of them was just a little wonky and unreliable. I have to say of all the APple products I've bought in the last 6-7 years, this is the first one that hasn't been rock solid and just worked. I guess it happens.  Anyway, I was expecting a bit of a confrontation with getting it resolved because I actually lost my receipt and had the device for more than 6 weeks and when I went into the store, they immediately just took it out of my hand and within ten minutes I had a new, unopened box and a lot of "We're sorry" statements.  I think there is something to be said about that because you simply don't get it from a lot of places these days.

How is the Roku issue experience when problems arise? I imagine Amazon is likely no problem at all. 
I had issues with the Roku sticks (one sucked and the other stopped working). Called support and it was fine. I did have go through all the standard trouble shooting with him before getting to the "okay, you're right, it's fried, we'll send you a new one".  I had hung onto the receipts, so I just went ahead and returned both to the retailer instead (Sam's).

chromecast, roku, and fire tv are all basically the same thing right?  just different brands?
Roku and Fire are very similar to each other. I went Roku hoping their more agnostic approach would end up offering a little more variety. Amazon obviously wants to sell you content, which is fine, I love Amazon. That's backfired a little with Vue being available on Fire and not Roku. I assume (hope) that'll change, but for now, that's probably the major difference between the two.

Chromecast is altogether different.It's not a set-top box with remote like Fire/Roku.  It'll cast whatever you are streaming on your phone/tablet/computer to the TV screen. It's a good device that most love. I'm not as much of a fan, but I do use it for the few things I can't stream from a Roku app (like Louie CK's new show Horace and Pete). Chromecast ultimately does have more options than the set-top boxes, but for me, it's at the expense of convenience. Most don't mind using their phone/tablet as the remote of sorts, but I'd rather not. Chromecast is cheap enough to consider a back-up option, which is what I use it for.

Bought an Amazon Fire Box and am currently setting up Kodi for my locale media. I used the config wizard and it installed a bunch of apps. Should I activate my VPN before using apps like Exodus?

Next step is to evaluate Vue.

Dragons said:
Bought an Amazon Fire Box and am currently setting up Kodi for my locale media. I used the config wizard and it installed a bunch of apps. Should I activate my VPN before using apps like Exodus?

Next step is to evaluate Vue.
No need in my opinion.

No need in my opinion.
Thanks, using the add-ons wasn't my main goal, so would hate to get my internet shut down playing around with it. I already received one letter from Disney.

Got Kodi set up to my liking, except it's not finding all my recorded TV shows, especially a large number of the kids shows. I thought it might be a copy restriction issue, but it seems to be affecting shows that shouldn't have copy protection. Will have to investigate more.

On another frustrating front, I registered for Vue, kicked the kids off watching Aladdin to test it and I'm getting an 1014 error. Vue forums indicate it's a widespread error since 4/5 when Amazon updated the Fire TV software. Hopefully Amazon/Sony figure this #### out quickly.

I'm glad this works for you guys but this all sounds "exhausting".

I've considered it but not sure saving $100 a month is worth this effort :bag:
It is not quite exhausting but it is close. The longer I have it the easier it gets. If I was better off financially I would not be doing this. I work with a doctor who makes obviously good money and he does this. I find myself wondering why.

Just to add on its not the setup that is exhausting. Its the finding a good stream on Kodi that can be exhausting. I once spent 45 mins finding a stream that was watchable. With Satellite I was used to just sitting down and watching what I want whenever I want immediately. This is not the case with Kodi. Like I said it is getting easier the more I do it. I am learning as I go.

It is not quite exhausting but it is close. The longer I have it the easier it gets. If I was better off financially I would not be doing this. I work with a doctor who makes obviously good money and he does this. I find myself wondering why.
Principle. I don't want to give one red cent to a greedy corporate monopoly, doesnt matter how much money I make. 

Just to add on its not the setup that is exhausting. Its the finding a good stream on Kodi that can be exhausting. I once spent 45 mins finding a stream that was watchable. With Satellite I was used to just sitting down and watching what I want whenever I want immediately. This is not the case with Kodi. Like I said it is getting easier the more I do it. I am learning as I go.
Exodus is convenience. It's like a program guide for me. I have an HTPC linked to my Kodi Fire TV boxes, so if I have even a slight amount of trouble with a stream, I go right to my PC with the VPN on and torrent what I want to watch. Either way, it works in the end.

Can someone PM me and help me figure out how to "connect" my Kodi device to my NAS on the same local network to stream movies?  I just can't figure this out, thanks!

Does anyone know of a link that keeps track of what local cities are supported with local channels on Vue?

It reminded me of when I used to have to watch the same thing for Satellite back in the day which had a slow roll out of the locals.

If I could get my locals and more specfically my two local sports regionals integrated into Vue with their dvr like function, I would probably cut the cord tomorrow, especially knowing that the fantastic Direct TV deals are looking harder to come by.

@tonydead, I'm going to dip my toes into setting up a VPN on my router this evening/weekend. Long story short, Comcast has gotten wise to the streaming service that I pay for and is throttling bandwidth to their servers, and Amazon Fire TV boxes are not setup to handle running a VPN through them in their own right. Any advice appreciated if you have done this, but from the looks of things you either a) Setup with a L2TP VPN provider in the router which is a more simple setup or B) Setup a DD-WRT/Tomato config on your router for OpenVPN providers, which is way more complicated and time consuming. I'll end up going down whatever path works, but any general advice/tips appreciated.

@tonydead, I'm going to dip my toes into setting up a VPN on my router this evening/weekend. Long story short, Comcast has gotten wise to the streaming service that I pay for and is throttling bandwidth to their servers, and Amazon Fire TV boxes are not setup to handle running a VPN through them in their own right. Any advice appreciated if you have done this, but from the looks of things you either a) Setup with a L2TP VPN provider in the router which is a more simple setup or B) Setup a DD-WRT/Tomato config on your router for OpenVPN providers, which is way more complicated and time consuming. I'll end up going down whatever path works, but any general advice/tips appreciated.
I haven't done it yet and only briefly looked at it for PIA.  Do you use PIA?  They seem to require you install the firmware you listed in choice B). Link

Once you have that installed they have videos to guide you through in setting up the settings here, page 2 of the videos. 

The main reason I haven't done it yet is because it seems like a pain to switch it on and off in the router each time instead of just a click of a button on the devise.  I want to us a normal IP for normal stuff. 

I haven't done it yet and only briefly looked at it for PIA.  Do you use PIA?  They seem to require you install the firmware you listed in choice B). Link

Once you have that installed they have videos to guide you through in setting up the settings here, page 2 of the videos. 

The main reason I haven't done it yet is because it seems like a pain to switch it on and off in the router each time instead of just a click of a button on the devise.  I want to us a normal IP for normal stuff. 
good info!

As for your last sentence, why do you want/need a "normal" ip?  Are their certain things that know you are going through a VPN and have issues?

We leave our PIA on full time for our desktop computer (which is used for torrenting among st normal internet usage).

good info!

As for your last sentence, why do you want/need a "normal" ip?  Are their certain things that know you are going through a VPN and have issues?

We leave our PIA on full time for our desktop computer (which is used for torrenting among st normal internet usage).
Don't you have to go through extra security steps and whatnot when logging onto your bank account for example from a different IP?  Do you just stick to one VPN location and all the websites that try to authenticate you get used to that IP too?

ETA: There are certain website I've had trouble using a VPN with, can't remember now, but I know I've had issues using Kodi with the VPN on in certain countries.  

Don't you have to go through extra security steps and whatnot when logging onto your bank account for example from a different IP?  Do you just stick to one VPN location and all the websites that try to authenticate you get used to that IP too?

ETA: There are certain website I've had trouble using a VPN with, can't remember now, but I know I've had issues using Kodi with the VPN on in certain countries.  
We do just stick to one VPN location so that may be why we don't notice any issues.  Our IP number never changes unless we have to reboot the computer which we rarely do unless there is a power outage.

That is good to know about Kodi.

Thanks for answering, I appreciate it. I use another VPN service, which If I'm going to guess won't allow me to connect via L2TP or Open VPN on my router, so it looks like I'll be rocking PIA or similar soon. I'm going to try the 7-day trial with IPVanish which it seems like you can setup L2TP @ the router and run some speed tests/make sure it's working. If not, plan B will be to undertake the project of loading up DD-WRT firmware on my router and hoping I don't brick it in the process.

CORD CUTTING BASEBALL FANS REJOICE!!!!!!

It's kind of on the expensive side, but.... Sling TV is now offering a "beta" service of FOX, FS1, FX, National Geographic, and...... FOX SPORTS LOCAL CHANNELS IN 15 MARKETS!!!

It's $20 per month for what essentially is just 5 channels, but this means I can now watch the Cincinnati Reds on Fox Sports Ohio. And since there is no annual contract, I can end the $20 per month Fox package at the end of the baseball season (or when the Reds are out of the playoff picture, which will probably be in May). So for $20 to $120 (6 months at $20), I get watching the Reds back. I'll be watching in about an hour to see how good the "beta" is.

On a separate note... I've been a MLB.tv subscriber for years now, but decided to not renew this year. It saved me $120 (which essentially pays for the new Fox subscription on Sling TV), and I find myself watching MLB.tv more often than I used to now, because every day has a free game of the day. Sometimes I watch a game simply because it's free. 

CORD CUTTING BASEBALL FANS REJOICE!!!!!!

It's kind of on the expensive side, but.... Sling TV is now offering a "beta" service of FOX, FS1, FX, National Geographic, and...... FOX SPORTS LOCAL CHANNELS IN 15 MARKETS!!!

It's $20 per month for what essentially is just 5 channels, but this means I can now watch the Cincinnati Reds on Fox Sports Ohio. And since there is no annual contract, I can end the $20 per month Fox package at the end of the baseball season (or when the Reds are out of the playoff picture, which will probably be in May). So for $20 to $120 (6 months at $20), I get watching the Reds back. I'll be watching in about an hour to see how good the "beta" is.

On a separate note... I've been a MLB.tv subscriber for years now, but decided to not renew this year. It saved me $120 (which essentially pays for the new Fox subscription on Sling TV), and I find myself watching MLB.tv more often than I used to now, because every day has a free game of the day. Sometimes I watch a game simply because it's free. 
Are you sure it's an extra $20?  The way I read the website it's a new service package and it includes all the base channels too.

Markets available for live local Fox: Atlanta, Austin, Charlotte N.C., Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Gainesville, Fla., Houston, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Pa., Phoenix, San Francisco, Tampa, Fla. and Washington D.C.

ETA: Link

Best of Live TV Favorites: Similar to our single-stream service, the multi-stream service will include nationwide availability of A&E, Adult Swim, AMC, Bloomberg, Cartoon Network, CNN, El Rey, Flama, Food Network, Galavision, HGTV, History, IFC, Lifetime, Local NOW, Maker, Newsy, Polaris+, TBS, TNT, Travel Channel, truTV, UniMás, Univision and VICELAND.

Three Streams: If you subscribe to our Best of Live TV beta multi-stream service, you can watch Sling TV on up to three devices at the same time in or out of your home. Any Extras added to your subscription will also be included in your three streams. With three streams, the beta multi-stream service is perfect for families, roommates or multi-television households.

I really can't tell if it's an extra $20 or not. I'd think it has to be. Obviously, they are upping their game with Vue in town, but $20/mo for all this stuff just sounds way too cheap.

Even if it is $40/mo total, it's a great option for cordcutting MLB fans that mainly follow their local team (luckily, I don't so, MLB.tv in it's current form is great for me).

Users who are viewing this thread