Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

12 minutes ago, MattFancy said:

I'm intrigued by Playstation Vue. What are some pros/cons?

Pro: Channel selection trumps Sling, stream is quality when it isn't buffering (I hear buffering issues have gotten better since the first weekend it became nationally available)

Cons: Limited devices (Playstation and Amazon Fire products basically...not even PC)

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The day of reckoning is here for many! The NFL and Sony just announced the Sony VUE will have access to the NFL Network and REDZONE beginning this season. For the multitudes of people who ha

First over the air channels (OTA).  You can get, and maybe already do, all the local channels OTA in high definition.  You’ll also get more than you suspect if you haven’t tuned in to OTA for many yea

if this has been posted already, I apologize. This is the best source I have seen to let you compare the streaming services and it updates daily.  Tons of info if you click around https://st

13 minutes ago, Brady Marino said:

Pro: Channel selection trumps Sling, stream is quality when it isn't buffering (I hear buffering issues have gotten better since the first weekend it became nationally available)

Cons: Limited devices (Playstation and Amazon Fire products basically...not even PC)

Thought I read it works with Chromecast and Apple devices?

A guy I know gave me a sales pitch for something in this arena and I"m intrigued. I'm sure it's shady, but I am the anti-Frostillicus, so please spare any holier than thou lectures for someone that might listen. 

$150 gets me a stick that I can use to watch anything including PPVs. How much is this marked up and how easy would it be to just do myself?

11 minutes ago, Warsteinner said:

$150 gets me a stick that I can use to watch anything including PPVs. How much is this marked up and how easy would it be to just do myself?

:lol: Not sure how much Fire Stick is anymore. $30 maybe? 

I would recommend FireTV over every other device personally. I've tried them all. You can add Kodi & now have access to Playstation Vue (which right now is the best TV streaming service available IMO at $30/mo for 55 channels....and consist of channels one would actually watch)

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
8 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

:lol: Not sure how much Fire Stick is anymore. $30 maybe? 

I would recommend FireTV over every other device personally. I've tried them all. You can add Kodi & now have access to Playstation Vue (which right now is the best TV streaming service available IMO at $30/mo for 55 channels....and consist of channels one would actually watch)

This guy doesn't subscribe to anything. I was at his house last weekend and he had the Pacquio fight on. Pulled up the XXX channel, MLB package. I'm researching this so I don't have to pay again. 

Just now, Warsteinner said:

This guy doesn't subscribe to anything. I was at his house last weekend and he had the Pacquio fight on. Pulled up the XXX channel, MLB package. I'm researching this so I don't have to pay again. 

He probably uses an app called Kodi. You can buy an Amazon Fire Stick for $30-$35 and load the app on there yourself. No real need to pay some $150 to do it. Unless you really honestly have no idea what you're doing and feel like giving someone $120.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, MattFancy said:

He probably uses an app called Kodi. You can buy an Amazon Fire Stick for $30-$35 and load the app on there yourself. No real need to pay some $150 to do it. Unless you really honestly have no idea what you're doing and feel like giving someone $120.

Thanks. This is what I was looking for. Is installing kodi relatively easy?

2 minutes ago, Warsteinner said:

There's plenty of people on here that use it. I personally do not at the moment, but someone on here could share a link or something with you that would make it really easy to get everything set up.

2 minutes ago, MattFancy said:

There's plenty of people on here that use it. I personally do not at the moment, but someone on here could share a link or something with you that would make it really easy to get everything set up.

Sweet. Any special model of stick or just get a stick?

2 minutes ago, Warsteinner said:

Sweet. Any special model of stick or just get a stick?

Fire Stick from Amazon is all you need.  I did it a few weeks ago. There's a Youtube video that shows you exactly what to do to get Kodi on your Fire Stick. 

6 minutes ago, Nathan R. Jessep said:

Fire Stick from Amazon is all you need.  I did it a few weeks ago. There's a Youtube video that shows you exactly what to do to get Kodi on your Fire Stick. 

I have no use for local channels. I just want sports. If I cancel Directv and get this thing fired up can I watch NFL and college football the same as I always have?

4 hours ago, Warsteinner said:

A guy I know gave me a sales pitch for something in this arena and I"m intrigued. I'm sure it's shady, but I am the anti-Frostillicus, so please spare any holier than thou lectures for someone that might listen. 

My brother went this route, but it was less than that.

It probably comes with free Netflix and Amazon movies as well - his did.  It's nice that you don't have to go through the hassle of setting up Kodi, but one downside is that when I tried to update his Kodi to the current version, the File Manager app requires entering an Amazon password - if you're signed in with the fake account, I don't know what you do there.  I just gave up and left him with an older Kodi version.

4 hours ago, Warsteinner said:

1- Install Kodi

2- Install the Addon Installer

You can find and download different Repo's that have channels that aren't available in the Addon Installer and install them the same way as "Install from Zip" in item #2.  Then go to settings to add the different addons to Video.  If you're looking for live sports you'll want the Sportsdevil repo.  

Kodi really excels in recorded (next day) tv and movies.  Your mileage may vary for live tv and live sports.  Live tv links aren't quite as reliable and as available in HD as recorded tv is.

IMO the best way to ensure you get all the NFL in HD is to sign up for Gamepass using a VPN that shows your IP address outside of North America.  You can get the full ticket, redzone and nfl channel for $125/year.

can someone walk me thru getting mlb games on my phone thru kodi...

found some pro sport deal that had games listed....then said i needed youtube....ok, got it....but then i was just watching some racing demo...

8 hours ago, Warsteinner said:

I have no use for local channels. I just want sports.

Locals are more than just your OTA station.  They include your regional sports channels. which if you follow any local teams might be needed depending on your other subscriptions.

Also, and until then, for the stations that have a streaming service offered through a tv provider (cable company) it's rumored that a lot of them accept Playstation Vue as a tv provider using the username and password that you choose when signing up for Playstation Network.  Works on Roku and PC.  

When vue has worked for me, I've liked it. But, I'm having trouble with their location sensing algorithm. If I change my location to my real zip code, it signs me up for the NYC market (as it should), but I can't connect via PS3 or Amazon Fire. If I use the auto sensed zip code, it puts me in MA and the Boston market and I don't get locals. Service worked fine, but locals are important to me cutting the cord. 

If I sign up through a VPN with servers in NYC and leave the zip code the same, I get locked out as soon as my IP changes (next day in this case). It worked great the first night and I was looking forward to testing the DVR this week.

1 hour ago, tonydead said:

Also, and until then, for the stations that have a streaming service offered through a tv provider (cable company) it's rumored that a lot of them accept Playstation Vue as a tv provider using the username and password that you choose when signing up for Playstation Network.  Works on Roku and PC.  

I can confirm. I'm currently trying to decide which one I want to keep. Vue or Sling. I've had sling for about 3 months and for the most part it's been OK. The audio sync was horrible in the beginning on PC, but has been corrected and works perfect now. 

I've had Vue for the last 10 days. I'm using it on a PS3 in our living room and have been downloading separate channel apps on my android tablet. I don't know if it's the old PS3 or what, but I get some buffering and the channel guide is not smooth. (sometimes it doesn't move, other times it keeps moving right to left even though I stopped moving the joystick)

I'm leaning towards Vue at this point if they fix those issues and add PC streaming. I have on two chromecasts. One original and one new. Do you need something besides the chromecast to get it working? This might solve my PC streaming issue.

• Like 1

Just loaded up the Gorilla Build for kodi and it is really nice.  Organizes all your apps into categories ( Movies, Sports, TV Shows, Music, etc..) and actually added more new ones I didn't have.  Was looking for something like this because I always had a hard time figuring out what app did what.

Highly recommend. Seems pretty customizable as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVsVrw5P3LE

Edited by BroncoFreak_2K3
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, culdeus said:

So can I just get fox sports on sling or not?

The cheapest package is $20, and includes the regional Fox-owned sports channels (and FS1 depending on what you mean by "fox sports). So, no, you can't just get fox sports on Sling, but as far as I know, $20 is the cheapest somebody could legally subscribe to it.

9 hours ago, pollardsvision said:

The cheapest package is $20, and includes the regional Fox-owned sports channels (and FS1 depending on what you mean by "fox sports). So, no, you can't just get fox sports on Sling, but as far as I know, $20 is the cheapest somebody could legally subscribe to it.

20 on sling is still likely cheaper than MLB for me if I'm not blackout 

31 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

If I cut the cord but still have access to a cable login (via my dad) what does that open up for me in terms of choices loke having a WatchESPN type app for other channels that I might not be able to get via Sling or Vue?

all kinds of stuff...not sure if there is a comprehensive list out there or not. Think it depends on what device (roku, amazon fire etc) you have and what cable company login you have.

here is a list for time warner cable

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/apps.html#premiums

eta - some are premium (like HBO). so you can only access these if your dad has HBO as part of his cable package.

Edited by JoeSteeler
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

If I cut the cord but still have access to a cable login (via my dad) what does that open up for me in terms of choices loke having a WatchESPN type app for other channels that I might not be able to get via Sling or Vue?

Thats what we do... "only when my inlaws are over" of course. 

That gets us these channels live - ESPN, NBC Sports, HGTV, Food Network, CNBC, Bloomberg

And these on demand - FX, USA

You can also get MLB Network the same way if you use the MLB At Bat app on your phone (and a cable login) and send it to an Apple TV.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Ok thanks those make sense.

How about channels like ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox and PBS.  Do any of those have similar type either on demand or watch live type aps for Roku or Amazon fire?

For those I use a digital antenna that I got off Amazon (like this one) I'm only about 10 miles from most tv stations in my city so I only need the short range antenna... some go up to 50+ miles though.  I expected a staticky rabbit ears type signal but it's uncompressed 1080p signal... I couldn't believe how great it is.

Edited by KiddLattimer
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, KiddLattimer said:

For those I use a digital antenna that I got off Amazon (like this one) I'm only about 10 miles from most tv stations in my city so I only need the short range antenna... some go up to 50+ miles though.  I expected a staticky rabbit ears type signal but it's uncompressed 1080p signal... I couldn't believe how great it is.

So from this response does that mean there are no Watch ABC type of apps like there are for the cable stations? I feel like I have seen adds for some of these online but perhaps they are not similar to the cable apps.  I don't expect they will have any local shows but I would think the national shows would be available in some sort of on demand type app.

When using the antenna, how do you record shows?  Is there a device that can handle this?  I ask because we watch very little live tv.

Edited by NewlyRetired
3 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

So from this response does that mean there are no Watch ABC type of apps like there are for the cable stations? I feel like I have seen adds for some of these online but perhaps they are not similar to the cable apps.  I don't expect they will have any local shows but I would think the national shows would be available in some sort of on demand type app.

When using the antenna, how do you record shows?  Is there a device that can handle this?  I ask because we watch very little live tv.

Vue and Sling both have ABC On Demand. For Vue, it's part of their base $30 package,with Sling, it's a $5 add-on over the $20 package. Both Vue and Sling have Fox On Demand and Vue has NBC On Demand.

Yes, there is a Watch ABC app that works for Roku and Fire players. It has a fair amount free content, but obviously, most of it requires a cable login (not sure if the Vue/Sling logins work, haven't tried).

As far as I know, there is an app for all the 4 major broadcast stations. 

One option is also HULU. It's going to have pretty much all the shows from NBC, FOX, ABC, CW, and others along with an ever increasing array of solid original programming. Personally, this is the route I take. I have an antenna, along with no interest in paying more than Sling's base $20 for live streaming access, so HULU serves essentially as my DVR for broadcast channel shows.

You can get a DVR for an antenna. Many people have them and love them. There are growing number of alternatives to this though (between Vue's cloud DVR and more access to On Demand features across platforms in general). 

Edited by pollardsvision
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

Things are changing so fast in this area, it is exciting to see what the near future brings.

Newlyretired - here is the link for Roku apps. cbs, Nbc abc and fox are all here. 

But, again, those "local apps" are all with a cable login from someone -  you know, when you're "in laws are visiting"  

46 minutes ago, blend said:

But, again, those "local apps" are all with a cable login from someone -  you know, when you're "in laws are visiting"  

right...he did say above his dad" visits" him a lot.

Edited by JoeSteeler
12 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Ok thanks those make sense.

How about channels like ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox and PBS.  Do any of those have similar type either on demand or watch live type aps for Roku or Amazon fire?

From what I could tell without installing and trying them all:

Roku - ABC and CBS have live with cable log in. NBC and FOX have next day with cable log in. PBS has recorded content no log in required  

Firestick - The descriptions aren't as good and it's harder to tell, but, seems a little more restrictive. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

Things are changing so fast in this area, it is exciting to see what the near future brings.

Newlyretired - here is the link for Roku apps. cbs, Nbc abc and fox are all here. 

Did you forget the link or is my browser just not seeing it?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, blend said:

I noticed that several of the app descriptions have some free content (without cable log in).  Some of them even say after 8 days the new episodes unlock and don't require a tv provider log in.  Like this one.  It's interesting that something that is free OTA requires a subscription online to watch live or next day.  I have to think it's written in the contracts with the cable companies and maybe that changes as the contracts expire and are renewed.  

Remember when cable first came out and it was billed as commercial free?  Free OTA channels made their money by advertising not by requiring a subscription.  I think that model starts to come back a little bit, especially with these OTA channels, and more and more of these become available because making money on advertising means getting the message out to as many people as possible.  And with how cheap the streaming services are, and will continue to be with more competition, the money generating stream will go back to advertising.  

Also, this speaks to time shifting.  Most people believe it's not copyright infringement to record or even download something you have access to, or own in some form of media, to store and watch later.  By definition these shows are free OTA and now they are becoming free to watch later at any time online.  If you have access to watch Family Guy free live and free anytime online there isn't any question that downloading Family Guy to store and watch later would  NOT be consider copyright infringement.  

• Like 1

this is interesting...TWC TV app on roku:

Time Warner Cable

Developer:Time Warner Cable

Now you can watch live TV right through your Roku. As a TV customer with Time Warner Cable, you can access up to 300 channels of live TV easily, and for free, with your Roku. Enjoy Bravo, Food Network, your favorite premium channels and original series, sports, news programming and hundreds more. Find and watch your shows by browsing the channel guide by genre and view detailed program descriptions with photos and cast information. You can quickly and easily find what you want through your recently viewed and favorite channels. You just need to have TWC’s standard TV service (or higher) and an Internet connection (customers without Time Warner Cable Internet service should contact customer care for set-up assistance).

https://channelstore.roku.com/details/23048/time-warner-cable#read-more

Edited by JoeSteeler
28 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

can someone explain the Plex app to me? I have looked at it a few times and just don't get what it does.

It streams recorded content saved on my server (or any computer hooked to the internet) to other devices.  Works on most of the tv boxes, smart phones and tablets.  You can even stream when away from your home network, just need to be connected to the internet (and obviously have the computer turned on and running the Plex server client).

ETA: Intall the Plex server client on the PC and put media files in it's library.  Then use the Plex app on the device you want to watch or listen to the media on to connect to your computer over the internet.  It connects together just by using your username and password.  The Plex server client is free.  You might have to purchase the app depending on what device it is. It does a good job of loading movie and song meta data, but, it's interface is simplistic and a little clunky.  At least the last time I used it it was.  Haven't used in a while. 

Edited by tonydead
  • Like 1
33 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

can someone explain the Plex app to me? I have looked at it a few times and just don't get what it does.

One of its major uses, and the one I use every day, is the ability to stream movies/tv etc to your tv from a computer hard drive.  It acts as a media server for your local media.

For people who torrent or rip DVD's/Blu Rays, this is a wonderful tool. The interface and Meta data are top notch and the streams are consistent and clean.

Plex has apps on a lot of devices which allows me to watch my local media whether sitting in a mall some where via the internet on my ipad, or watching on my big screen tv via my PS4.

If you don't have local media (no torrents or rips), then Plex would have minimal use IMO.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1