What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (2 Viewers)

Just ended our current 2-year agreement with Comcast, and they upped our internet/TV service by $40/month.  Wife and I have been talking about cutting TV services for awhile now, but haven't had the extra incentive we needed to do it, until now that is.  We rarely watch cable TV anyway.  The only thing I need to look at replacing is being able to watch Pats games - I'm assuming this thread has answered related questions many times, so I'll scour through, but if anyone has any thoughts on that, I'd love to know what the alternatives are.

We'll probably stick with Comcast for internet services, as we're pretty limited where we are (I think the only other legitimate ISP is FairPoint).  As I provide hosting out of my home, I might go to Comcast Business, so I can run an email server as well and not have to work around ISPs SMTP port-blocking for residential services.  The bandwidth is a little less than what we could get and definitely what we currently have, but we have more bandwidth than we really need anyway.  Plus, I work with their business services everyday and it's light-years different and better than their residential services.

Just ended our current 2-year agreement with Comcast, and they upped our internet/TV service by $40/month.  Wife and I have been talking about cutting TV services for awhile now, but haven't had the extra incentive we needed to do it, until now that is.  We rarely watch cable TV anyway.  The only thing I need to look at replacing is being able to watch Pats games - I'm assuming this thread has answered related questions many times, so I'll scour through, but if anyone has any thoughts on that, I'd love to know what the alternatives are.

We'll probably stick with Comcast for internet services, as we're pretty limited where we are (I think the only other legitimate ISP is FairPoint).  As I provide hosting out of my home, I might go to Comcast Business, so I can run an email server as well and not have to work around ISPs SMTP port-blocking for residential services.  The bandwidth is a little less than what we could get and definitely what we currently have, but we have more bandwidth than we really need anyway.  Plus, I work with their business services everyday and it's light-years different and better than their residential services.
I assume you get Pats games over the air in NH. Depending on exactly where you, it seems pretty likely you could get a good CBS signal for Pats games. OTA signals are fantastic if you can get them, much clearer than cable.

If not, CBS is an add-on to a number of streaming services, I believe (never used myself b/c I get a good OTA signal). NFL Redzone now streams on Sling, and other streaming services for a pretty cheap price. 

Adding to what pollardivision said your options are:

1- Local channels OTA. 

2- Looks like the major streaming services will have ESPN and NFL Network (Vue and Sling).  Depending on your market you might get your locals through Vue and Sling has them in the works. ESPN has stand alone service coming soon.  

3- You can get full NFL Ticket, Redzone, and NFL Network through NFL.com with a VPN outside North America for $129 (that's what I do). 

4- Kodi's live streams are hit and miss, imo, and your mileage may vary. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else using SALTS on Kodi getting an error? I'm using the latest Titanium build and all other Add Ons (i.e. Exodus) are working but when I try to fire up SALTS I'm getting and error.

Thank you both.  That's wicked helpful.

We decided to officially make the cut, so I'll be calling them tonight.  I'm curious if I can get business internet services, since I let my business state cert lapse, but I'll be finding out.  

Anyone updated to Kodi 17 Krypton...just wondered and if so how its working for you...
I haven't yet. Didn't know it was available. Is it available from the Google Play store or did you get it from the Kodi website?

I'd be curious to give it a go but wouldn't be able to do so yet as my box is Android Kit Kat 4.4.2 and Krypton requires 5.0 Lollipop. My box has an Amlogic S812 chip that supports Lollipop so I'd need to update my firmware first (which isn't high on my list given that everything is currently working fine).

I haven't yet. Didn't know it was available. Is it available from the Google Play store or did you get it from the Kodi website?

I'd be curious to give it a go but wouldn't be able to do so yet as my box is Android Kit Kat 4.4.2 and Krypton requires 5.0 Lollipop. My box has an Amlogic S812 chip that supports Lollipop so I'd need to update my firmware first (which isn't high on my list given that everything is currently working fine).
Setup video...actually for just the base Kodi program looks like it has a relatively simple means of adding your addons now and as a skin unto itself.  Wonder how Titanium will work over top of it...

Anyone else using SALTS on Kodi getting an error? I'm using the latest Titanium build and all other Add Ons (i.e. Exodus) are working but when I try to fire up SALTS I'm getting and error.
Yes.  Although I noticed it updated some time after I tried it.  

For UFC see previous post.

For NFL, sign up for PIA.  Download app and choose a country like Turkey.  Goto NFL.com and sign up for gamepass.  NFL.com signup will gladly take your US address and US credit card even though you are in Turkey.  You'll have to have PIA logged on through whatever country you signed up with whenever you want to log on to gamepass.
I setup a connection to the London server on ExpressVPN at my router (for all devices on the network) for the above setup for NFL Gamepass International over the weekend, and it is the greatest thing ever. I'll also say, there are people out there selling GamePass accounts via BitCoin. I took the gamble for $5 in BitCoin, and it works :gang2:

ETA: There's a Kodi app for NFL GamePass International to throw up on the big screen, works amazingly.

mquinnjr said:
I setup a connection to the London server on ExpressVPN at my router (for all devices on the network) for the above setup for NFL Gamepass International over the weekend, and it is the greatest thing ever. I'll also say, there are people out there selling GamePass accounts via BitCoin. I took the gamble for $5 in BitCoin, and it works :gang2:

ETA: There's a Kodi app for NFL GamePass International to throw up on the big screen, works amazingly.
I wasn't able to get gamepass to work in Kodi last year.  I'll give it another go now that they've switched everything around.  

I wasn't able to get gamepass to work in Kodi last year.  I'll give it another go now that they've switched everything around.  
It's awesome. I test ran a few Week 2 pre-season games. Setup is clean, no frills, visually solid. Things just work as intended, you click a game and it asks full or condensed, and loads in 720p instantly. Will try some games live next week.

'merica!

It's awesome. I test ran a few Week 2 pre-season games. Setup is clean, no frills, visually solid. Things just work as intended, you click a game and it asks full or condensed, and loads in 720p instantly. Will try some games live next week.

'merica!
Is the addon in the fusion repo and what's it called exactly?  GamePass International?  Thanks.

Is the addon in the fusion repo and what's it called exactly?  GamePass International?  Thanks.
I think it's in the SuperRepo, I'll check tonight when I get home from work. Either that or Fusion, I just don't want to give a wrong answer lazily. It's called NFL Game Pass once you locate it within the correct repo.

So the Sunday ticket for "students" is back up and running this year, $100 for the year, with an optional extra $50 for full game rewind all season long.  Gives you one stream at a time for any out of market game on a TV, laptop, phone, whatever....

mquinnjr said:

When you set your vpn up at the router, flashing new firmware doesn't save the current settings does it?

When you set your vpn up at the router, flashing new firmware doesn't save the current settings does it?
I did an L2TP connection to make this work, which was really easy to configure on the Archer C7. In the past, I tried OpenVPN to try and optimize speed as most VPN providers utilize this as the standard for a router config, but I hated it and performance was bad to awful. ExpressVPN is the best of the services that supports L2TP at the router, which is as easy as copying and pasting in the server name, and your user ID and pass. On a Xfinity Blast! speed package, I get ~65Mbps when using a local VPN, and ~50 when using London for GP. When I tried OpenVPN with PIA I got :X speeds on OpenVPN, so I just went back to stock firmware and L2TP with ExpressVPN. Ease of use and enough speed work for me. I hate conceding this much speed, but it's the right concession to make to "VPN" all of the devices on my network, including the Kodi boxes which can't do VPN on their own.

So I finally signed up with mediacom since they are my only option other than att.  Got 100mbps and 1TB cap for $54.95.

I have 2 questions:

1. Got an email from att that in 18 days of august, we used 150GB.  My wife binge watches girly shows on netflix and I watch an occasional episode of penny dreadful or something, maybe 3-4 episodes a week.  The kids watch a few episodes of something a week.  The kids do watch quite a few youtube vids on their tablets while on wifi.  Does 150GB sound high? Should I be putting the firesticks (2) in sleep mode or unplug them or something?

2. I forgot to ask the mediacom lady but will I get a log in from mediacom to access espn/sec network on my laptop? If not, what's my best bet to get them? I don't really feel like signing up for sling or anything right now. I have kodi titanium loaded on both firesticks.

Can you stream more than 1 game at a time with gamepass?

Not sure yet, will test and report back since I have 2 Kodi boxes and can try this at home.
Thanks.  I have access to the student game pass but I like to load up the tv's in my house so when I move from room to room I don't have to shut down the basement feed to watch the family room feed.

NFL network launched today on Playstation Vue. Included in the Core and Elite plans.

NFL Redzone is $39.99 for the whole season.

NFL network launched today on Playstation Vue. Included in the Core and Elite plans.

NFL Redzone is $39.99 for the whole season.
I'm cutting Directv in a week and I was really looking at whether to grab Vue or Sling and how they are handling Redzone kind of muddied the waters for me. Vue is going to cost me $35/month (Core is required as you noted)+ $40 ($10/month). With Sling I would have to get their premier package to get ESPN and have the option to get Redzone ($40/month) + the sports package ($5/month). Either way it's $45 bucks a month. Prior to looking into it, I was thinking I could go with the Sling base package + the sports package or Vue Access + something similar to Sling's $5/month. Essentially, Redzone is either going to cost me $15/month with Vue or $25/month on Sling as I wouldn't have cared about their more expensive packages or NFL Network.

If you are looking for Redzone, it makes Vue the easy choice IMO, but the high cost makes me more likely to skip Redzone and go with the $20 Sling package.

I'm cutting Directv in a week and I was really looking at whether to grab Vue or Sling and how they are handling Redzone kind of muddied the waters for me. Vue is going to cost me $35/month (Core is required as you noted)+ $40 ($10/month). With Sling I would have to get their premier package to get ESPN and have the option to get Redzone ($40/month) + the sports package ($5/month). Either way it's $45 bucks a month. Prior to looking into it, I was thinking I could go with the Sling base package + the sports package or Vue Access + something similar to Sling's $5/month. Essentially, Redzone is either going to cost me $15/month with Vue or $25/month on Sling as I wouldn't have cared about their more expensive packages or NFL Network.

If you are looking for Redzone, it makes Vue the easy choice IMO, but the high cost makes me more likely to skip Redzone and go with the $20 Sling package.
I've never had sling... Only vue. But reading from people that have had both, they prefer vue.

I've never had sling... Only vue. But reading from people that have had both, they prefer vue.
The internet seems to agree. The combination of better stream quality, DVR capabilities, and multiple household streams, it definitely seems like the better product. Additionally, in the Denver area, it looks like I would get the local CBS affiliate (all the other networks are on demand only) which would be especially nice during football season as most of the Broncos games would be there so I wouldn't have to watch OTA.

Thanks.  I have access to the student game pass but I like to load up the tv's in my house so when I move from room to room I don't have to shut down the basement feed to watch the family room feed.
I now have an answer now to your question re: NFL Gamepass on multiple devices while games are live, lump. Via my sole acquired NFLGP login while logged into a London VPN server on my home wireless network, have my one Amazon Fire TV box running the Skins game, and the other Amazon Fire TV box running the Pats game, while my laptop was logged in and streaming NFL network.

:pickle: :excited: :banned:

So I finally signed up with mediacom since they are my only option other than att.  Got 100mbps and 1TB cap for $54.95.

I have 2 questions:

1. Got an email from att that in 18 days of august, we used 150GB.  My wife binge watches girly shows on netflix and I watch an occasional episode of penny dreadful or something, maybe 3-4 episodes a week.  The kids watch a few episodes of something a week.  The kids do watch quite a few youtube vids on their tablets while on wifi.  Does 150GB sound high? Should I be putting the firesticks (2) in sleep mode or unplug them or something?

2. I forgot to ask the mediacom lady but will I get a log in from mediacom to access espn/sec network on my laptop? If not, what's my best bet to get them? I don't really feel like signing up for sling or anything right now. I have kodi titanium loaded on both firesticks.
Haven't checked in for a while and see you have an unanswered question. Just make sure you log out and go to the firestick's home screen and it will go into sreen saver mode after a period of no activity. Yes 150 GB seems excessive for an average streaming household. 

Dont know anything about mediacom, check out Vue or sling. 

I now have an answer now to your question re: NFL Gamepass on multiple devices while games are live, lump. Via my sole acquired NFLGP login while logged into a London VPN server on my home wireless network, have my one Amazon Fire TV box running the Skins game, and the other Amazon Fire TV box running the Pats game, while my laptop was logged in and streaming NFL network.

Well I would hope so for how much you are paying. 

Thanks for following up!

I was nervous cause vue had trouble with the NBA finals. Last night was smooth. Think real test will be NFL redzone
:yes:

Interested to see how NCAA CFB goes too, but yeah their RZ streaming of Week 1 will be the main event. I have my options lined up already, but interested to see how Vue and Sling handle things as my last line of defense backups. 

Anyone having trouble watching movies with Kodi? My wife says she gets about 1/2 hour in and it resets to the homepage. She feels it is something wrong with the Kodi app on our firestick. I have not had any problem but I just watch network tv shows and the occasional UFC thing.

Do you guys think Sony is making a mistake with their branding of Vue?

I have been talking to a bunch of people interested in cutting the cord and every time I bring up Playstation Vue they immediately tune out because they don't have a Playstation.  Even when I try to explain it is not just on the playstation, they have a mental block.

The new commercials for Vue are not helping in that they show the person using a playstation controller.

I feel like this would be so much easier to sell for Sony if the branding was simply "Sony Vue"

The commercials do not need to be fancy, just list out the price, and list out all the big channels and end with "available on Amazon Fire, Roku, Playstation etc"

Do you guys think Sony is making a mistake with their branding of Vue?

I have been talking to a bunch of people interested in cutting the cord and every time I bring up Playstation Vue they immediately tune out because they don't have a Playstation.  Even when I try to explain it is not just on the playstation, they have a mental block.

The new commercials for Vue are not helping in that they show the person using a playstation controller.

I feel like this would be so much easier to sell for Sony if the branding was simply "Sony Vue"

The commercials do not need to be fancy, just list out the price, and list out all the big channels and end with "available on Amazon Fire, Roku, Playstation etc"
:yes:

have been thinking the same thing.

Anyone having trouble watching movies with Kodi? My wife says she gets about 1/2 hour in and it resets to the homepage. She feels it is something wrong with the Kodi app on our firestick. I have not had any problem but I just watch network tv shows and the occasional UFC thing.
I don't watch a ton of movies on Kodi but I never had a problem like that.

Can you watch live regular season games with NFLGP? I'm a season tix holder and was offered a free one year subscription. After signing up it told me that I now have the following features:

Replay all 256 regular season games, plus the Playoffs and Super Bowl
Watch live out-of-market Preseason games
Listen to live home & away radio broadcasts
Relive a game in about 45 minutes with condensed games

It doesn't look like watching regular season games live is an option.

Can you watch live regular season games with NFLGP? I'm a season tix holder and was offered a free one year subscription. After signing up it told me that I now have the following features:

Nah, you have to sign up for the international version of GP to watch live games. I think the USA version of GP which is a flat $99 for the season is replays only.

no...I just looked into this over the weekend

No problems here recently.  Running Titanium on Fire TV.

Nope.  Try clearing cache, purging packages and check how much memory you have available on the stick.

So it looks like the NFL has changed the Gameday International prices - I can't find anything much below $250.  I'm VPNing through various countries and they are all $250 plus - anyone else finding this same issue?  

I think I'm screwed and will be planted at the bar for every game this year.  I can't get OTA without an antenna extension in my area either, which I may do.  

Any other suggestions?  Oh, and I subscribed to the CBS app.  I wasn't able to get any of the preseason Pats games on the live stream.  I wasn't VPNing while accessing the app, and perhaps that's why, but I am doubtful that it would have worked anyway.

So it looks like the NFL has changed the Gameday International prices - I can't find anything much below $250.  I'm VPNing through various countries and they are all $250 plus - anyone else finding this same issue?  

I think I'm screwed and will be planted at the bar for every game this year.  I can't get OTA without an antenna extension in my area either, which I may do.  

Any other suggestions?  Oh, and I subscribed to the CBS app.  I wasn't able to get any of the preseason Pats games on the live stream.  I wasn't VPNing while accessing the app, and perhaps that's why, but I am doubtful that it would have worked anyway.
I haven't been following your story, but have you tried these?

• OTA antenna
  • USTVNow
  • Sling/Vue Redzone

I haven't been following your story, but have you tried these?

• OTA antenna
  • USTVNow
  • Sling/Vue Redzone
OTA antenna would be the next step - I'd be worried about purchasing something that was a guarantee, though.  

I've considered Sling or Vue, but really am not interested in Redzone.  I've had it for several years now and loved it, but really want to something dedicated to Pats games.

I do think the OTA is my best bet at this point.  I went through some more VPNs and got the international gameday price down to $199.  Still nuts.

East Coast Bias said:
Where's the step by step guide to getting NFL Game Pass from another country to include VPN setup?
Set your VPN to Turkey and sign up with your USA credit card. 

Users who are viewing this thread