Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if this has been posted already, I apologize. This is the best source I have seen to let you compare the streaming services and it updates daily.  Tons of info if you click around https://st

The day of reckoning is here for many! The NFL and Sony just announced the Sony VUE will have access to the NFL Network and REDZONE beginning this season. For the multitudes of people who ha

First over the air channels (OTA).  You can get, and maybe already do, all the local channels OTA in high definition.  You’ll also get more than you suspect if you haven’t tuned in to OTA for many yea

NFL Sunday ticket on PS3??

Some say you have to prove you can't get DTV. I have no idea how they verify this.
So maybe I shouldn't go get a PS3 tomorrow? I'm in an apt. building that doesn't allow dishes.

Unpossible

:confused:

Many places do not allow you to hang them off of your balcony or bolt them to their brick or roof.

Some say you have to prove you can't get DTV. I have no idea how they verify this.
So maybe I shouldn't go get a PS3 tomorrow? I'm in an apt. building that doesn't allow dishes.

Unpossible

Many places do not allow you to hang them off of your balcony or bolt them to their brick or roof.

To be fair, I'm just shooting from the hip here. I have heard there was some law passed, but I was only half kidding with you.

I'm not sure of all the fine print, but I did find this:

My link

Unpossible

To be fair, I'm just shooting from the hip here. I have heard there was some law passed, but I was only half kidding with you.

My link

There are still exceptions.

Has anybody seen officially how and when you can sign up for the PS3 Sunday Ticket?

i've heard rumors of a european site where you can watch real-time streaming NFL. not sure about dicey legalities, but wondering if anyone can help me out with this rumor and/or explain how to stream the NFL another way. tia.

myp2p.eu
looks like that site has been shut down. bummer.eta: looks like wiziwig.eu is trying to pick up the ball, so to speak, but it is not quite yet working for me. Edited by pecorino

Okay, the picture looks friggin awesome, but there is just one thing that is quite bothersome... The picture has been constantly getting all distorted (or pixelated) lately, and then the signal will cut in and out. :hot:

I'm trying to watch the HOU/SF game and this is driving me absolutely nuts. I've got 2 weeks to figure this out or else this might be the switching back.

Is there anything I can buy in the form of a signal amplifier that can be installed at the splitter or something like that? HELP!

still hunting for live football, both college and pro. i stumbled upon this site and it looks shady so i did not pay for the service: http://collegefootball2011live.info/

they want $35 for a three-year unlimited pass, claiming it is legal but it doesn't pass the smell test. anyone use this service? maybe i should splurge and get an Xbox to get the ESPNs.

I am getting close to cutting the cord as well.

What do you think of the HD OTA antennae along with the Logitech Revue (Google TV) and subscribe to Netflix streaming. That hsould be a pretty good arrangement, correct?

I am aware of what I will be missing out on (NFLN and others) - but with this setup I can stream some cable shows from the cable show web addy, correct?

I cut the cable cord in May and I think I've got one of the best alternative out there for others looking to do the same. I purchased this and connected it to my tv. I installed XBMC and the following addons: Icefilms, Navi-X, and SportsDevil. Icefilms and Navi-X both contain massive amounts of television shows and movies that stream flawlessly in HD. SportsDevil provides access to ESPN HD, NFL Network HD, NFL Redzone HD, and pretty much every other sporting event known to man. XBMC and all of its addons are free, easy to install and navigate, and completely eliminate the need for cable and even Netflix.

You can download XBMC at xbmc.org and all of the addons can be found on the forums of the same site. Give it a try and I'll be happy to answer any questions I can. I tell everyone I know about it, and have converted a few friends and relatives. Definitely worth checking out if you are considering dropping your cable.

Edited by Atticus

I cut the cable cord in May and I think I've got one of the best alternative out there for others looking to do the same. I purchased this and connected it to my tv. I installed XBMC and the following addons: Icefilms, Navi-X, and SportsDevil. Icefilms and Navi-X both contain massive amounts of television shows and movies that stream flawlessly in HD. SportsDevil provides access to ESPN HD, NFL Network HD, NFL Redzone HD, and pretty much every other sporting event known to man. XBMC and all of its addons are free, easy to install and navigate, and completely eliminate the need for cable and even Netflix.

You can download XBMC at xbmc.org and all of the addons can be found on the forums of the same site. Give it a try and I'll be happy to answer any questions I can. I tell everyone I know about it, and have converted a few friends and relatives. Definitely worth checking out if you are considering dropping your cable.

There's a lot going on here, and it's stuff that's new to me.

You bought the PC that you linked to. What made you choose that PC? I see it's small, inexpensive, and has an HDMI output. What alternatives did you consider? Why did you choose a PC instead of the other XBMC options (I had never heard of XBMC, but am reading about it on Wikipedia and seeing that there are some devices that come with XBMC on them)? What kind of remote control do you have for this?

XBMC is just some software you install on the PC that manages these addons, right? Reading about it, it appears that it doesn't include DVR functionality. Do you have some other device acting as a DVR, or are you using the PC for it with some other software, or am I misunderstanding and XBMC can act as a DVR?

Some of the recent posts in this thread sound like they're pointing to quick fix websites for sports that will be shutdown almost immediately. Are the addons for XBMC going to suffer the same fate, or are they legal and likely to survive?

The Wiki page goes into development stuff, I think - we don't have to know Python to use this the way you're using it, do we?

Do you still watch DVDs? Do you use this PC for them or a separate DVD player?

How much do you fiddle with the PC? Is your wife able to use everything just fine, or are you the only one able to make stuff work?

There's a lot going on here, and it's stuff that's new to me.

You bought the PC that you linked to. What made you choose that PC? I see it's small, inexpensive, and has an HDMI output. What alternatives did you consider? Why did you choose a PC instead of the other XBMC options (I had never heard of XBMC, but am reading about it on Wikipedia and seeing that there are some devices that come with XBMC on them)? What kind of remote control do you have for this?

XBMC is just some software you install on the PC that manages these addons, right? Reading about it, it appears that it doesn't include DVR functionality. Do you have some other device acting as a DVR, or are you using the PC for it with some other software, or am I misunderstanding and XBMC can act as a DVR?

Some of the recent posts in this thread sound like they're pointing to quick fix websites for sports that will be shutdown almost immediately. Are the addons for XBMC going to suffer the same fate, or are they legal and likely to survive?

The Wiki page goes into development stuff, I think - we don't have to know Python to use this the way you're using it, do we?

Do you still watch DVDs? Do you use this PC for them or a separate DVD player?

How much do you fiddle with the PC? Is your wife able to use everything just fine, or are you the only one able to make stuff work?

Wow. That's a lot of question! I'll try to take them one by one. You'll have to cut me a little slack since I'm currently on my fourth beer. I chose that PC because of the things you mentioned, plus it was recommended on numerous sites. You can build your own HTPC (Home Theater PC), but I found this little machine to be all that I need (and less technically daunting). I'm not aware of any devices that come preinstalled with XBMC. If you have a smartphone there are apps that allow you to control XBMC, but you can also use a WMCE remote if you'd like. There are a number of options here, just do a quick Amazon search and you'll be hooked up for less than $20. I also have

You really don't need a DVR. XBMC acts as a media player for videos and music, and has a very customizable user interface that can be very aesthetically pleasing. There are different skins available for it. I recommend Transparency, which can be downloaded from the settings within XBMC itself. If you have any video audio files, XBMC will integrate them into the menus and you can watch them on a whim. Honestly, Icefilms and Navi-X provide you with every TV show you could possibly want. Icefilms uses a site called Megaupload to stream nearly every TV show in existence. Once a show airs, it will be available the next day and sometimes within hours of airing. Navi-X has the same feature, and even has some live streams such as TLC to keep the wifey happy. I had an HD-DVR, but this is really more efficient than a DVR because you don't have to worry about shows airing at the same time or about storage space.

As far as sports go, SportsDevil uses various links (some of them from sites outside the US) that are constantly updated. The first week of NFL football went flawlessly.

An understaning of Python Scripts is not needed. The addons are quick zip file downloads that are quickly and easily installed through the settings of XBMC.

I honestly can't remember the last time I watched a DVD. I have a PS3 that my wife uses for some of her workout videos and such. Digital media is the future and DVD's will eventually become coasters just as CDs have.

I rarely have to mess with the PC itself. I have AVG Antivirus installed, and occasionally use it to surf the web. No issues there.

My wife caught on to the functionality of XBMC pretty quickly and she isn't tech savvy at all. She does miss HGTV and Foodnetwork a little, but you can find most of their popular shows on Icefilms or Navi-X. Occasionally, she needs a little help, but for the most part she caught on pretty quickly.

Hope all of that helps. I recommend just downloading XBMC to your current PC and playing around with it to figure out most of this stuff. The XBMC forums and wikis are a great source of information and you'll probably figure most of it out on you own. Good luck!

Hope all of that helps. I recommend just downloading XBMC to your current PC and playing around with it to figure out most of this stuff. The XBMC forums and wikis are a great source of information and you'll probably figure most of it out on you own. Good luck!

I did this last night. Navi-X didn't seem as intuitive as Icefilms and SportsDevil, but it could have been what I was drinking. I'll test out RedZone channel this weekend on my PC before installing XBMC on my HTCP.You answered Tick's question about the availability of programs and sports feeds, but you didn't answer the legality. With paid options such as Hulu Plus and Amazon that offer immediate TV shows, I can't imagine this free option is even a gray area.There is also a Playon plugin that offers TV shows and movies. This can be integrated into Windows Media Center which runs my HTPC w/ DVR. I haven't used it really at all because of the legality questions and that it's a pita to use. This XBMC option seems easy enough to use to ignore the other 'questions' for now.

Xbmc is probably a good option as a base htpc os. Not all the add ons are grey market type stuff. A ton is legit The best feature if you do illegal streams is you can pick a side loader to view like st. Of course quality on a tv will be crap.

I did this last night. Navi-X didn't seem as intuitive as Icefilms and SportsDevil, but it could have been what I was drinking. I'll test out RedZone channel this weekend on my PC before installing XBMC on my HTCP.You answered Tick's question about the availability of programs and sports feeds, but you didn't answer the legality. With paid options such as Hulu Plus and Amazon that offer immediate TV shows, I can't imagine this free option is even a gray area.There is also a Playon plugin that offers TV shows and movies. This can be integrated into Windows Media Center which runs my HTPC w/ DVR. I haven't used it really at all because of the legality questions and that it's a pita to use. This XBMC option seems easy enough to use to ignore the other 'questions' for now.
You're right. Navi-X requires some searching around and building a Favorites list to make navigation easier. Icefilms is more straight forward.The legality of XBMC is that it is completely legal. There are a ton of great plugins and addons that are also 100% legal. As far as the three that I mentioned there is nothing to be concerned about, as far as I've researched and understand it. If you are hosting the content yourself and uploading tons of things, which you're not, then you are breaking copyright laws. Icefilms and the others, simply provide you with access to the content. It is only when you start distributing the content yourself that you are breaking the law. I tried Playon a few years ago, and was pretty underwhelmed. XBMC really is the way to go.

Totally disagree. If you use st you are in a very grey area. Of course you have to sideload that for this os.

I don't really understand what most of this means. What do you mean when you say st? XBMC is not an operating system. It is a multimedia player. I'm not sure why mention sideloading here. I thought sideloading referred to the transfer of data between a pc and a mobile device of some sort. There is no sideloading that I'm aware of in XBMC.

Totally disagree. If you use st you are in a very grey area. Of course you have to sideload that for this os.

I don't really understand what most of this means. What do you mean when you say st? XBMC is not an operating system. It is a multimedia player. I'm not sure why mention sideloading here. I thought sideloading referred to the transfer of data between a pc and a mobile device of some sort. There is no sideloading that I'm aware of in XBMC.
(st)Streamtorrent definitely exposes you to a certain amount of liability. Of course this system doesn't really require it's use so in the sense that xbmc is legal that's right.

(st)Streamtorrent definitely exposes you to a certain amount of liability. Of course this system doesn't really require it's use so in the sense that xbmc is legal that's right.
Torrents are bad news. I've never used Streamtorrent, so I don't really know anything about it. I just know that downloading from torrents can be sketchy.

Any suggestions getting hbogo full screen on my tv from laptop?

VGA cable or S-Video cable, maybe?
Using hdmi. Is that a no-no?
No. That's probably your best option. Most laptops don't have hdmi output, but if you've got it, use it! It'll give you the best picture and sound quality in one cable. Edited by Atticus

While it's better than watching the NFL app on my android, so far I'm not really impressed with the XBMC option. The picture quality is worse than netflix streaming and it keeps cutting out, forcing me to reload. I can't imagine blowing this picture up to my big tv screen. Is there a better feed than the .eu one?

While it's better than watching the NFL app on my android, so far I'm not really impressed with the XBMC option. The picture quality is worse than netflix streaming and it keeps cutting out, forcing me to reload. I can't imagine blowing this picture up to my big tv screen. Is there a better feed than the .eu one?

nfl streams across the board blow this year. there has been a major crackdown on sports streaming and most of the quality streams are dead. you are looking at guys bouncing proxies or just amateurs with crappy equipment in general.

Earlier, the XBMC talk mentioned ESPN HD and NFLN HD.Are those feeds reliable? Between those two and the networks, I'd have enough sports to make a switch.

I've been watching both regularly with no problem. They don't go down, but they aren't in perfect HD all the time. They're streamed, so you kind of have to expect that.

Back on the cord after 5 months with no tv stations and two nfl sundays watching NFL redzone on a 3.5 inch phone.

Bummer... I can only stand so much watching on my phone too...But I was able to upgrade my aunt's NFL Sunday Ticket to the "NFL To Go" package for just $10/month. She doesn't use that feature so she let me use it.If you know someone that trusts you (they will need to provide you with their username and password), then you can have the same arrangements which will allow you to watch any game on your ipad, iphone, TV (through hookup with your laptop), or laptop.$60 well spent...

My wife finally got the teaching job! Extra $$ coming in. Instead of getting cable I got this:

Antenna

Now the only games (nationally broadcasted)I can't get are on ESPN. I haven't even mounted it yet, its just laying on the attic floor. Awesome!

Unpossible

My link

There are still exceptions.

Has anybody seen officially how and when you can sign up for the PS3 Sunday Ticket?

Mobbin is right. I just B*******ed the s*** out of my association with this law.

• 1 month later...

Starting to plan for a HTPC build. I was hoping by EOY a box would come out which would meet my needs. This hasn't happened yet. Still most everything is nothing more than a more expensive version of a Western Digital Box with on board hard drive. I would like one box that would serve as a tuner+DVR primarily.

We cut the "cable" over a year ago and would never go back...

You do need a good fast internet connection (Comcast but just for internet), we watch mostly Netflix and some Amazon Prime for streaming. Other than that we watch local TV for news and weather and of course Football...

Actually my wife will watch "network TV" until the first commercial comes on then gets frustrated having to wait for the show to come back on after 3 or 4 commercials so she much prefers streaming even if you don't get current shows...

It is amazing what you think you will miss that you really dont after a short while...

Also local network TV in HD is better than what you get from cable or satellite HD...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We cut the "cable" over a year ago and would never go back...

You do need a good fast internet connection (Comcast but just for internet), we watch mostly Netflix and some Amazon Prime for streaming. Other than that we watch local TV for news and weather and of course Football...

Actually my wife will watch "network TV" until the first commercial comes on then gets frustrated having to wait for the show to come back on after 3 or 4 commercials so she much prefers streaming even if you don't get current shows...

It is amazing what you think you will miss that you really dont after a short while...

Also local network TV in HD is better than what you get from cable or satellite HD...

Can you hook up a tivo box or something to record show off of an over the air antenna?

We are cheap and poor, not your typical FBG.

We've finally done it. 2 months ago we turned off our TV cable service, got an indoor OTA antenna, and used our Wii for Netflix, which we had been using for sometime. Then got a Roku (HD version much better than Wii) for another TV in the house. Got the cable bill the next month and the phone portion was still $62 a month including taxes.

So I went out and got the MajicJack at BestBuy last week. Had to tweak my host PC a bit to get it to run well all the time. It worked great, but the one place (so far) that couldn't call my new number was every phone from work. I had to contact the phone carrier that my work uses because they did not have the new prefix working. I think what happens is YMAX (MajicJack)has some prefixes in area codes and they do no get setup in certain telecom's exchanges, for whatever reason.

So that's over $100 a month saved, and really more over time because they are always upping the charges (and taxes). Now that I no longer use phone or cable, I can shop internet service. Looks like I can get that for $20/month for 8Mbps, which is $10 a month cheaper that we are paying now.

I know the MajicJack seems a little chintzy, but it works! Plus we still have our work cell phones.

Who else?

who what where when how

Can someone recommend a "red UHF" antenna? It's what TV Fool and AntennaWeb recommend for my house.

I didn't think people still did the "color" antenna's anymore since the swap over?
I ended up figuring it out - I started a thread with antenna in the title with my findings.

We cut the cable - we're on antenna, Netflix streaming, and ESPN3 through the Xbox. So far we're happy, but we'll see when it's NFL season.

ETA: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=632032&st=0&gopid=14122458entry14122458

Edited by Tick