What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (6 Viewers)

:wub:

the average cord-cutter saves $104 a month—about 56% of their bill—from dropping cable TV.
I see lots of people in denial claiming it doesn't save you any money.  The ~$100 from the survey matches my numbers almost exactly.  I save $160 from my old cable bill to my internet only cable bill.  That leaves $60 if I choose to go pay for any streaming services and still pocket $100/month.  

I see lots of people in denial claiming it doesn't save you any money.  The ~$100 from the survey matches my numbers almost exactly.  I save $160 from my old cable bill to my internet only cable bill.  That leaves $60 if I choose to go pay for any streaming services and still pocket $100/month.  
I have to imagine that most cord cutters just go with something wildly used like netflix and/or amazon which would cost less than $20 per month.

We were using Dish plus Netflix, Prime, Kodi and Internet

I dropped Dish for PS Vue + CBS All access app (the wife has to have her CSI on demand)

That move saves me right around $90 per month

I picked up Sling recently and HBONow a while ago, so now I'm "only" saving about $135/mo from my DirecTV days.

I have basic cable that's just the D.C. local channels and a couple of oddballs like ISPN & TWC (I live in the sticks where an OTA antenna is useless)

I got that in a bundle with 5x the internet speed I had before and a landline (which I don't use). The bundle costs me $128/mo as opposed to the almost $300 I was spending with DTV. I already had Netflix, Prime, and a Roku player, plus 2 semi-intelligent TVs (one's a Roku-fueled TCL and the other is a really limited Vizio, as far as available apps go).

For many, live sports are the real ##### to cutting loose. That's one of the reasons I half-assed it; the other being I watch local news more than any other single program. If I lived where I could get local channels OTA, I'd cut the cable package altogether (along with the landline) and just buy cable internet.

I'll miss a Ravens game now & then (like last weekend when the local CBS showed the Skins), but I found out that doesn't bother me all that much. With my work schedule, I long ago made peace that I'd miss most of the Orioles games (no matter what kind of viewing package I have). Maryland athletics are a little tougher on me because the bulk of hoops games are shown on cable (& many on non-ESPN cable at that) and the football team isn't good enough to warrant being on a network on Saturdays. But almost all of the high-profile college football games are back on network TV on Saturdays again, so I've been enjoying those instead (last Saturday was incredible).

I guess a lot depends on how expensive your current service is.

I get everything my family wants for $70 a month which includes Sunday ticket.   As much as I want to cord cut, the savings is not that much once I factor in the increased cost of getting a better internet service, it is difficult to find any real savings with out dropping a ton of items.

If I was spending over $120 a month, the savings would be much easier to justify losing a bit of content.

I'm guessing the survey tried to account for that, since it wouldn't make much sense if they didn't, you must be on the far left of the bell curve.

For me I'd factor in cost for time and effort for the yearly "negotiation" you have to go through.  I'd switch at even cost just not to put up with that, no strings no contract.  

Comcast also charging customers who use more than 1TB of data starting Nov 1st.  Seriously considering a switch.  Sick of this crap.  Customer service sucks, bills go up every month and it seems like they are on a 28 day monthly billing cycle because the bill is earlier and earlier every month.  Anyone get some great deals through Directv?

I get everything my family wants for $70 a month which includes Sunday ticket.   As much as I want to cord cut, the savings is not that much once I factor in the increased cost of getting a better internet service, it is difficult to find any real savings with out dropping a ton of items.

If I was spending over $120 a month, the savings would be much easier to justify losing a bit of content.
can you break this down?

Reports coming out that ATT is pushing to phase out Directv satellite service in the next 3-5 years. Link

As the article says, "The writing is the on the wall for the traditional hardware TV platforms, the set-top cable box and satellite dish."  Well, Duh!!  And we're still waiting for their streaming service, Directv Now,  to come to market along with news about it's pricing structure.  Directv Now has been scheduled to launch in the fourth quarter this year for a long time now.  

Reports coming out that ATT is pushing to phase out Directv satellite service in the next 3-5 years. Link

As the article says, "The writing is the on the wall for the traditional hardware TV platforms, the set-top cable box and satellite dish."  Well, Duh!!  And we're still waiting for their streaming service, Directv Now,  to come to market along with news about it's pricing structure.  Directv Now has been scheduled to launch in the fourth quarter this year for a long time now.  
Wow, they're pretty much saying "#### YOU" to rural customers who can only get satellite or nothing.

DirectvNow to NOT include slim down packages and prices to be equal to or slightly less than their dish prices.  "Customer aren't telling us they want less channels."  Link    :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Leaked email from Directv to it's installers:

As you may have heard, AT&T is launching a new over-the-top (OTT) service called DIRECTV NOW on November 4, 2016. OTT services provide potential customers with a streaming-only option when they are unable to have traditional DIRECTV or U-Verse TV service installed.

Though DIRECTV NOW does not require professional installation, technicians may want to be aware of the service and what it entails. For instances where a DIRECTV or U-Verse installation cannot be completed due to line-of-sight, landlord permission or other issues, technicians can provide information on the DIRECTV NOW service and let customers know they can visit directvnow.com to learn more.

Please note that DIRECTV NOW is a completely separate offering from traditional DIRECTV and U-Verse and should only be mentioned to customers when those services cannot be installed. If the customer is able to receive broadcast TV service, technicians should not proactively mention DIRECTV NOW as it is redundant with the DIRECTV and U-Verse Apps, which still offer streaming capabilities to subscribers of the DIRECTV and U-Verse TV services respectively.

Key points to keep in mind for DIRECTV NOW:

The DIRECTV App is still available to DIRECTV satellite TV customers. DIRECTV NOW is a completely separate service.

No set-top box is required to utilize DIRECTV NOW. Instead, customers can stream content via iOS and Android mobile devices, Web browsers, as well as streaming media players that connect to the TV like Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and Stick, and Chromecast. More streaming options are expected to be available in the future.

DIRECTV NOW offers programming packages that are similar to those of traditional DIRECTV service. No annual contract is required. Add-on packages like HBO are also available. More information is available at directvnow.com.

Customers need high-speed broadband service to stream content at a high quality. It is recommended that DIRECTV NOW be used with 12 Mbps broadband at a minimum. Customers can take advantage of a free 7 day trial by visiting directvnow.com if they are unsure whether they have broadband service capable of streaming content, or just want to get a feel for the service.

Sling TV App question:

I have Sling running via a Mac and Xbox One. The Mac version is stuttering like crazy. It is unwatchable. It is acting like its a connection issue, but the connection is solid. Meanwhile, the Xbox picture is fantastic and its a mile away from the router (it does an annoying loop / repeat sometimes but I can live with it).

Anyone have an issue with stuttering on the app? I am sure it is pointless, but I am wondering if deleting and reinstalling the app will make any difference.

Sling TV App question:

I have Sling running via a Mac and Xbox One. The Mac version is stuttering like crazy. It is unwatchable. It is acting like its a connection issue, but the connection is solid. Meanwhile, the Xbox picture is fantastic and its a mile away from the router (it does an annoying loop / repeat sometimes but I can live with it).

Anyone have an issue with stuttering on the app? I am sure it is pointless, but I am wondering if deleting and reinstalling the app will make any difference.
I can't say I've got a solution for you, but I have the same problem with SlingTV.  If you figure out what to do about it, I'd love to hear it.

Rumor that the $35 a month price is only if you are bundled with AT&T phone service.   :lmao:   If true how directvesque of them to conveniently leave that piece of info out of their press releases.  List of devices DirectvNow will be available on at launch:

Now DirecTV has announced that their new DirecTV Now service will work just by login into DirecTVNow.com. Making them the first OTT streaming service to offer in browser streaming.

They also announced that they will support Amazon Fire TV, Google Cast to players such as Nvidia Shield and the Mi Box, Apple TV 4th Generation+, Android 4.4+, iPad iOS9+, iPhone 5+, iPod Touch, Internet Explorer 11+, Chrome 50+, and Safari 8+.

They list that the Chromecast and the Fire TV Stick are both coming soon.

You may be shocked to see that Roku is not listed. Our best guess is they are waiting for the new Roku OS to be released later this year. Developers already have access to the beta of the new Roku OS, and it makes sense for them to develop an app for the new, more powerful Roku OS. No need to build an app today and pay developers to do it again in a month or two.

As for why the Fire TV is supported but not the Fire TV Stick, it likely has to do with the power of the Stick. They may be making a more stripped down app for the Stick, a slower device.

If the $35 price point is to be believed some estimates have the margin being made from Directv going down from $60 per subscriber for traditional cable to $1 per subscriber for the streaming service.  :o   Some of the ways they plan on making money is innovative advertising to make the advertising space more valuable (think facebook or google adds).

If the $35 price point is to be believed some estimates have the margin being made from Directv going down from $60 per subscriber for traditional cable to $1 per subscriber for the streaming service.  :o   Some of the ways they plan on making money is innovative advertising to make the advertising space more valuable (think facebook or google adds).
I anxiously await the channel listing on this one. I've been checking daily, feel free to bump if you see it released. 

ETA: This is the most I've seen so far, mined from earnings calls: http://www.dallasnews.com/business/att/2016/10/28/channel-lineup-atts-streaming-directv-now-starts-take-shape-looks-good

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, they're pretty much saying "#### YOU" to rural customers who can only get satellite or nothing.
This has been predicted for a long time.  Once the shuttle was shut down it was just a matter of time before the cost of operating the sats got too expensive.  

There is still the small matter of the GPS sats which take priority over Honey Boo Boo.  

The cost to rehab the GPS sats alone could put a TrumpWall across the Canada border.  

I read that article and a few others.  Read that they promise that the  100 channels will be the type of programming people want and not just fluff.  Really glad to see these things spurring competition.  I think this version offered by att includes free data on their platform.  That might not be a good thing if they try to break out.  Don't know. 

DiectvNow to have local channels in a lot of markets, but, haven't reached a deal with CBS. 

621,000 downgrade or cancelled cable tv subscriptions in October alone. Estimates have that as a loss of 52 million just for espn. 

Hulu signing deals for their streaming service package on target to release early 2017. 

DiectvNow to have local channels in a lot of markets, but, haven't reached a deal with CBS. 

621,000 downgrade or cancelled cable tv subscriptions in October alone. Estimates have that as a loss of 52 million just for espn. 

Hulu signing deals for their streaming service package on target to release early 2017. 
I :wub: everything about the OTT movement. I check like 2-3x a day to see if/when the channel list will be released. I'm really excited for this if they deliver 100 channels of solid sports & other coverage. I've had ST streaming before and that (3-4 years ago, haven't had it since) experience was buffer central on a fast connection. I really hope DTV gets it right this time, will definitely try the free trial.

Well, the much hyped DirectvNow is supposed to launch today.  I guess technically they have until the end of today, however, those hoping to log on and find out exactly what the channel lineup and price structure is this morning are met with the same coming soon webpage that we've been staring at for weeks.  If DirectvNow fails to launch today it will most certainly will be because they have failed to reach deals with two of the major network channel providers; Fox and CBS.  

Well, the much hyped DirectvNow is supposed to launch today.  I guess technically they have until the end of today, however, those hoping to log on and find out exactly what the channel lineup and price structure is this morning are met with the same coming soon webpage that we've been staring at for weeks.  If DirectvNow fails to launch today it will most certainly will be because they have failed to reach deals with two of the major network channel providers; Fox and CBS.  
I keep checking today too. If this has locals then I'm in. 

I keep checking today too. If this has locals then I'm in. 
Rumor is they are supposed to have locals in a lot of major areas.  Other rumors include that the $35 price is only available to AT&T phone subscribers.  Their competitors have questioned if the price versus 100 channels advertised is really going to stack up.  Link   Plus they seem to still be up to their old tricks, another link.  I have my doubts, but, we shall see.  Along the lines of the leaked email, just the fact that DirectvNow.com isn't the first link that pops up in Google search shows how reluctant they really are in making the transition.  

Cord Cutters News has received a report that says DirecTV Now will miss the November 4th release date. It is our understanding that the hold up is a combination of technical and contract issues.......Hopefully we will get some DirecTV Now news early next week. 

Still waiting for the other shoe to drop. Comcast/TWC/Cox sit there watching every Tom, ****, and Harry sell TV bundles to be watched via internet cables while they lose cable subscribers. It feels like it's just a matter of when, not if, cable prices triple. 

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/8/13566730/playstation-vue-losing-viacom-comedy-central-mtv-bet

Streaming TV services are running into the exact same obstacles as cable TV providers. And Sony just encountered a huge one. The company has announced in an Election Day blog post that as of November 11th at 12:01AM, PlayStation Vue customers will no longer be able to watch any of Viacom’s networks, which include Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, MTV, BET, VH1, Spike, and others. That’s just three days away, so this announcement is incredibly abrupt and very likely to anger customers.

“At PlayStation, we always strive to provide the best value and service for our fans,” said Dwayne Benefield, who heads up Vue. “As part of our ongoing evaluation of the PlayStation Vue offering, we have determined that removing the bundle of channels from Viacom is the best way for us to continue to offer the most compelling value to our fans.”

Translated from boring corporate speak, Sony is suggesting that keeping Viacom’s channels as part of PlayStation Vue would result in more expensive monthly pricing; as of now, Vue’s cheapest “Access” package (which features the Viacom lineup) costs $39.99 per month. The rest of the Access package is listed below — and yeah, removing all-things-Viacom results in a pretty severe gutting of the deal.

Sony’s blog post attempts to counter the bad news with new channel announcements (BBC America and NBA TV tomorrow, VICE and more local broadcast CBS / Fox stations “soon”) and by reminding users Vue requires no contract or commitments.

But when your entire service can take a hit like this with such little warning, well, that’s going to shake the confidence of Sony’s existing Vue customers and keep others firmly rooted in cableland — at least for now. While the relationship between Sony and Viacom seems to have suddenly soured, the latter company is supporting Sony’s DirecTV Now streaming service and is in discussions with Google for its own live TV offering.

just added Hulu to our streaming options. $6/month is pretty cheap, even if it is with commercials. That means Netflix, Amazon Prime and now Hulu for now.

Thinking of cutting the cord soon. Read Tony's document. Thanks. Thinking I'll do something like PS Vue or DirecTVNow. I have a couple of basic questions:

1) If I have a cable internet/TV connection now, am I losing any bandwidth by just going to streaming? Or is the bandwidth the same without cable TV being used?

2) Most of my TVs do not use the TV speaker. I go through a receiver for surround sound speakers. Does this work with a Firestick or Fire TV? Or do I have to use the TV speakers now?

Thanks for any help.

Thinking of cutting the cord soon. Read Tony's document. Thanks. Thinking I'll do something like PS Vue or DirecTVNow. I have a couple of basic questions:

1) If I have a cable internet/TV connection now, am I losing any bandwidth by just going to streaming? Or is the bandwidth the same without cable TV being used?

2) Most of my TVs do not use the TV speaker. I go through a receiver for surround sound speakers. Does this work with a Firestick or Fire TV? Or do I have to use the TV speakers now?

Thanks for any help.
1) I don't think I understand your question entirely, but you won't lose bandwidth.

2) The Fire TV is just another HDMI input, treated the same as any other - the sound goes from the Fire TV to your TV, which distributes it the same way it does now.  For me, that's through a receiver to speakers, same as you.

Going on vacation to Mexico in a week and would like to be able to stream the college games on my chromebook (and connect to larger TV via HDMI) through watch espn.  Can anyone recommend the right VPN subscription to do this?  It would be a one day use...so free trial would work.

Thanks!

1) I don't think I understand your question entirely, but you won't lose bandwidth.

2) The Fire TV is just another HDMI input, treated the same as any other - the sound goes from the Fire TV to your TV, which distributes it the same way it does now.  For me, that's through a receiver to speakers, same as you.
Thanks. Three more questions for you or anyone:

1) So you need a streaming device on every TV? Or is there something (Tablo?) that will stream through your home network? Would WiFI work or that, or just hard wired?

2) OTA antennas - Am I correct that connecting an antenna to HDHomeRun and that to my network allows all networked TVs to get OTA channels?

3) DVR - I have Plex, so I know I can record OTA stuff through HDHomeRun using Plex. But what about stuff on other channels that I would get on Vue or Sling? Is there a DVR capability on those? Like recording a football game on ESPN on Vue.

Thanks for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread