What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Saints coach convicted of real estate scam (1 Viewer)

Gopher State

Footballguy
Saints coach must pay $1.15M in restitution for real estate scam

USA TODAY

Saints assistant coach Travis Jones has been sentenced to three years probation, 100 hours of community service and ordered to pay $1.15 million in restitution for his role in a real estate scam involving dozens of people in northwest Texas.

The defensive line coach had pleaded guilty last June in Texas' Eastern District of U.S. District Court to conspiracy to commit mail fraud in a scheme allegedly run by Florida resident John Barry. Jones also signed a factual statement admitting his role, which netted him about $86,000.

The Saints suspended Jones 30 days without pay during the 2010 season, but kept him on staff.

Jones' sentencing was issued Thursday by U.S. District Judge Michael Schneider. The Saints have declined comment.

um, the saints front office has better things to do right now than comment on this assistant coach's legal situation. you know, like, the lockout?

'Saints-Man said:
How shameful. :thumbdown: I am curious as to how he avoided jail time for such an action.
He paid 1.5 mil and was guilty of 86k (or admitted to 86k) surely that has something to do with avoiding jail time.86k in a real estate scam makes me figure he was small potatoes.

'saintfool said:
um, the saints front office has better things to do right now than comment on this assistant coach's legal situation. you know, like, the lockout?
Who said anything about the Saints front office?

'Saints-Man said:
How shameful. :thumbdown: I am curious as to how he avoided jail time for such an action.
He paid 1.5 mil and was guilty of 86k (or admitted to 86k) surely that has something to do with avoiding jail time.86k in a real estate scam makes me figure he was small potatoes.
Good point. I admit I just reacted emotionally to the idea of the scam than examined the numbers. What a lousy bet...steal $86K, lose $1.5M. Thanks for making that clear, Bri.

No problem SM.

Have you ever been so busy that you did some stupid things by accident because the matter at hand took up so much of your focus? Sometimes (in this context only) I think NFL players and coaches can get caught being stupid.

I envision them moreso "buying" a shady man's salespitch on a money making idea than actually knowing there was going to be something illegal going on.

Surely you've heard the stories of coaches working 100 some odd hours a week practically living at the practice facility. As a fan, I love that dedication and appreciate it. In the real world, I don't think that gives them time to handle "life" appropriately. I think this is their bad decision (not necessarily the real estate thing) so I have forgiveness for them whereas normally I'd be all over some dope like Pacman for his criminal stuff.

He "paid" for the crime so it just feels like OK ya goofed, pay attention next time.

Hard to word, hope that made sense

No problem SM. Have you ever been so busy that you did some stupid things by accident because the matter at hand took up so much of your focus? Sometimes (in this context only) I think NFL players and coaches can get caught being stupid. I envision them moreso "buying" a shady man's salespitch on a money making idea than actually knowing there was going to be something illegal going on.Surely you've heard the stories of coaches working 100 some odd hours a week practically living at the practice facility. As a fan, I love that dedication and appreciate it. In the real world, I don't think that gives them time to handle "life" appropriately. I think this is their bad decision (not necessarily the real estate thing) so I have forgiveness for them whereas normally I'd be all over some dope like Pacman for his criminal stuff. He "paid" for the crime so it just feels like OK ya goofed, pay attention next time.Hard to word, hope that made sense
Bri, I understand your point and it is a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread