What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

scoring change (1 Viewer)

chrish

Footballguy
Most IDP fantasy scoring systems give more points for tackles then assists. There are two types of tackles, solo and shared, but my guess is that most fantasy sites can't distinguish between the two given the data feeds they rely on (I fairly sure NFL.com can't, for example).

When two guys are marked as having split the tackle the default scoring is to give the first guy a (shared) tackle, the second guy an assist. This default is changing for next season. The new default will be for both guys to get assists and neither guy a shared tackle. The data entry folks can override the default value but in practice they rarely do.

This will likely decrease the IDP value of certain players, primarily linebackers who play home games at stadiums that tend to award a lot of split tackles. Using a hypothetical scoring system of 1 point for (any kind of) tackle, 0.5 points per assist here are the top three guys who would be affected:

Jerod Mayo would have scored 19.5 fewer points

Paul Posluszny would have scored 18.5 fewer points

Stephen Tulloch would have scored 17.5 fewer points

Generally this won't affect players who get most of their split tackles on split sack plays. The overwhelming majority of split sacks are currently being scored as assist/assist. The change to how split tackles are being scored on regular tackles is being made so that it matches how split sacks are being scored.

Chris is in charge of directing the stat crews for the NFL. We've had him on the Audible discussing how the stat crews work and the process of recording defensive stats and he's been kind enough to keep the lines of communication open when we've had questions over the past few years. This post is legit. He and I briefly discussed the possibility that this might happen during the season last year. It was something I/FBG had planned to bring up very early this offseason as "something to watch for," but the official heads-up here is very, very much appreciated.With the always important caveat that the league's stat crews are still prone to inconsistently interpreting Chris' directives, this will be a huge issue we'll be tracking closely this season and could have a major impact on how IDP leagues adapt scoring systems in the future and how certain classes of players are ranked based on any adaptations that are made.More to come on this I'm sure, but we'll be sure to stay as far ahead of the curve on this as we can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool.

So basically we are looking at about 1 ppg less on average for the top lb's and less for the rest, safety's and dlinemen. Cornerbacks probably not much change. (on 1.5 solo/.75 assist scoring). ????

I have been watching the play by play in real time since 2001 and I have seen certain stadiums do the solo/assist method and others do the Assist/Assist method.

I can tell within the 1st few plays of a game which way the stat crew is going to go. The heavy assist teams (Washington and New England in particular) have been doing the assist/assist method. It is deciphered by a comma or a semicolon between the tackling players names. A comma gives a solo to the 1st player and an assist to the 2nd. While the semicolon gives assists to both players.

This may actually make a guy like James Lauriniatis more valuable because his stat crew only credit one player with a tackle on almost every play. So he won't have to split an assist with anyone like many other players on different teams.

This may actually make a guy like James Lauriniatis more valuable because his stat crew only credit one player with a tackle on almost every play. So he won't have to split an assist with anyone like many other players on different teams.
+ David HarrisHe's been screwed by the stat crew at least 3/4 times last year

I'm not sure about Harris. The Jets get a healthy amount of assists as is and the Jets scorekeeper seems to credit two players often on tackles (which will always have 2 assists awarded now). The Rams (and Jax for that matter) scorekeepers are very stingy on assists and never give more than 3 or so a game. Laurinaitis has only been credited with 7 assists by his home scorekeeper in his 16 career home games. By contrast Jerod Mayo was AVERAGING 5/6 per game at home last season. My point was, since the Rams never credit more than 1 player on a tackle that Laurinaitis will keep his 102.5 solos per season average. Many players who get a solo when two players are credited, like Harris, will actually be hurt by this because they will be credited with more assists.

Just to give a bit more research:

There were 27 tackles Ray Lewis (I am an owner) was credited as solos when he and another player were involved in the play. It was always scored like this in the play by play(an example): (R.Lewis, Suggs). The comma credited Lewis with a "tackle" or solo while Suggs was credited with an assist. Now all 27 of those plays Lewis was credited with a solo will be credited an assist to both tackling players.

So, instead of Lewis having 139 total stops last season (102 solo/37 assist) he would have had 139 total stops (75 solo/64 assists). In my league solos are 1 point and assists are 0.5 and this would only effect Lewis with 13.5 total point difference but this scoring change across the board in every stadium will put a premium on the solo tackle.

According to the OP all stadium scorekeepers will go to the "Semicolon" method of scoring which would be: (R.Lewis; Suggs) which always credits both players with assists. The Redskins did this all last season and never used the comma method. However, this was not uniform across the league and you would have to watch the games while keeping an eye on the play-by-play to realize with method was being used. In some circumstances a combination of both methods were used.

I comment with Laurinaitis was to point out that a stadium scorekeeper like the Rams have, who never credits multiple players on a play with tackles, will be important because he won't "lose" any solo tackles and have to share an assist with another tackling player.

Scorekeepers, like the ones in Buffalo/New England/Washington/Tenn, who love to credit multiple players on nearly every play may water down the solo tackle numbers were are used to seeing from their IDP studs. Hence, the OP pointed out the decrease in Mayo, Poz, and Tulloch and I pointed out the 13.5 point decrease for Lewis.

The only thing I can say that is positive about this is that we will all know that the scorekeepers across the league will be using the same method. The generosity/stinginess of the scorekeepers is still a mystery though.

I did the research and Harris would have 15 solo tackles changed to assists. So his 99 total stops from last season (69 solo/30 assists) would now be 54 solo/45 assists.Laurinaitis had 114 total stops last season (98 solo/16 assist) which will change to 84 solo/30 assists. (14 tackles would be changed)

Extended discussion of this in the second part of the preseason Reading the Defense. Includes some stats, possible outcomes, what to watch for and ways to approach the change.

Can't do the link from this confounded mobile device but it'll be listed under the articles tab on the front page. Should also be a thread with both RTDs linked inside.

I have been following the 3 Games so far and each have been different.

Ravens/Eagles: Just 2 assists awarded via the "semicolon method" on the same play. No other plays involved an assist.

Chargers/Seahawks: A mix of the colon and semicolon methods with some plays resulting in a colon (solo and assist awarded) or a semicolon (2 assists awarded).

Patriots/Jags: Strictly using the semicolon method.

Three games, three totally different methods of tackle recording.

Does anybody know where this is documented on any sort of the major sports sites? nfl.com, espn, cbs, yahoo

Does anybody know where this is documented on any sort of the major sports sites? nfl.com, espn, cbs, yahoo
As opposed to hearing it directly from the person in charge of the NFL stat crews who posted the original topic? What type of clarification are you looking for?

As opposed to hearing it directly from the person in charge of the NFL stat crews who posted the original topic? What type of clarification are you looking for?
It's not that I don't trust the source, but if we are to consider a change to our scoring I would need something that I can refer my league-mates to. And I'd prefer it not be FBG

It's not that I don't trust the source, but if we are to consider a change to our scoring I would need something that I can refer my league-mates to. And I'd prefer it not be FBG
If you are just worried about them finding you here on FBG, then here is a post about it on thehuddle.comhttp://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=350236&hl=

In the 1st half of the Dolphins/Bucs game the scorekeeper credited 42 total tackles for both teams and only 2 were solo....

Avoid Tampa players?

Chris is in charge of directing the stat crews for the NFL. We've had him on the Audible discussing how the stat crews work and the process of recording defensive stats and he's been kind enough to keep the lines of communication open when we've had questions over the past few years. This post is legit. He and I briefly discussed the possibility that this might happen during the season last year. It was something I/FBG had planned to bring up very early this offseason as "something to watch for," but the official heads-up here is very, very much appreciated.With the always important caveat that the league's stat crews are still prone to inconsistently interpreting Chris' directives, this will be a huge issue we'll be tracking closely this season and could have a major impact on how IDP leagues adapt scoring systems in the future and how certain classes of players are ranked based on any adaptations that are made.More to come on this I'm sure, but we'll be sure to stay as far ahead of the curve on this as we can.
What light has the pre-season shed on the scoring change? Has it had the expected effect or are things status quo?

Users who are viewing this thread