What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bicycle Guys! (1 Viewer)

Another dumb question - if you are going for a longer ride, do you bring any emergency stuff with you such as cell phone or extra tube and levers?    
I don't ride without my cell phone. Usually have one pannier bag on in case I stop for something along the way. That has a tube, pump, tool, mask, and lock. I don't go anywhere without my cell phone.

I once broke a chain about 5 miles from the nearest road. That suuuuuuucked.

YouTube is your friend.  Watch videos on simple fixes in the backcountry like flats, chain breaks and rubbing disc brakes, and then figure out the basic tools you will need to fix these issues.  I used to have a bag under my seat with all of this stuff, but now I just keep it in my hydration pack. 
That's what the cell phone is for, right? 

That's what the cell phone is for, right? 
If you will be riding in an area with limited or no cell range, I highly recommend using maps.me or something similar (I think alltrails has an app too).  These apps allow you to download the map before you go riding and then use the gps function on the phone (no cell or data required) so you can figure out your location, route, etc..  I've avoided getting really lost a few times using maps.me and highly recommend it. 

If you will be riding in an area with limited or no cell range, I highly recommend using maps.me or something similar (I think alltrails has an app too).  These apps allow you to download the map before you go riding and then use the gps function on the phone (no cell or data required) so you can figure out your location, route, etc..  I've avoided getting really lost a few times using maps.me and highly recommend it. 
Very cool. Thanks. 

Besides what others have mentioned, it doesn't hurt to carry some master links (you'll also collect these as you replace your chain), patch kit and a piece of the sidewall of an old tire to be used as a tire patch.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides what others have mentioned, it doesn't hurt to carry some master links (you'll also collect these as you replace your chain), patch kit and a piece of the sidewall of an old tire to be used as a tire patch.   
Good stuff. I've never had a chain pop but just replaced one and got a few spare master links so I'll add them to the bag. Just ordered a patch kit as well, have about 3 tubes at home i keep saying I'm going to patch and never do  :thumbup:

Bike 1/4 restored!

Put the new tires on my bike. They look like motorcycle tires compared to the old knobby tires it came with. They look good and feel fine. I only rode on them for a minute or two but as of yet I'm not blown away by the smooth ride like some of the reviewers of these tires were but Ill re-evaluate after a good long ride.

It's currently raining like crazy. Gonna be an interesting first ride if this rain ever lifts. 

My saddlebag is fairly large and has:

My phone goes in my jersey pocket. 

I'm hosed if I have a tube blowout, though when I go on trails that get pretty far from the parking lot, I wear a hydration pack that has a spare tube.

Anybody on Zwift, they opened up France to all and lemme tell you, Ven Top is a #####. Had to bail at 3000' because of work.
I've done the Alpe climb and it's a bear, though I did finish it.  Not on Zwift now - it's summer.  Winter is the time for sitting in a basement!

Another dumb question - if you are going for a longer ride, do you bring any emergency stuff with you such as cell phone or extra tube and levers?    
Phone, CC, cash, tube, levers, CO2 cartidge, micro-inflator, tire boot material.  Don't leave home without those.  All have come in handy at one time or another.

Sand said:
I've done the Alpe climb and it's a bear, though I did finish it.  Not on Zwift now - it's summer.  Winter is the time for sitting in a basement!
I've done the Alpe climb 3 times now and the Ventoux climb is tougher IMO. It's not steeper as the Alpe climb regularly hits 12-13% but the Ventoux climb is 9-10% steady with very few breaks. The Alps have a bunch of cutbacks that drop down to 3-4% that give you a little break.

Alpe de Zwift - 3,399 ft of elevation

Ventoux - 5,033 ft of elevation

Ventoux - 5,033 ft of elevation
Biggest climb I've ever done is a bit over 6,000 feet.  That was really hard, even considering it might be one of the most scenic climbs in the world.  Doing that in the basement?  Ehhh.  I'd have to have a big bet riding on me finishing for me to take that on.

Hi bicycle guys. I normally hang out in the foresaken running thread but thought I'd pop over and say what's up. Roadie here, although I used to race cyclocross back in Chicago. Currently own three bikes (road, tri/TT, SS commuter) and considering a fourth (hardtail MTB). If you'll accept runners as people too then maybe we can be friends.

As others have mentioned, definitely bring a small bit of kit in a saddle bag or back jersey pocket. My typical for a road ride is as follows:

Jersey: mini-pump, 9-way multitool, phone, ID, CC, €5

Saddle Bag: tube, two tire levers, patch kit

Considering adding some master links after the suggestions above  :thumbup:   I've only broken a chain once and it was in a cross race so wasn't a long walk to get back. Can't imagine if I had broken it way out in the middle or nowhere and likely didn't even consider it until now.

its not just the chain breaking either that could cause problems.  you break your hanger (without a replacement) or your derailleur, you're gonna need to take that chain apart to get it where you can at least make it into a single speed.   your chain already has a master link, but those things can be impossible to undo without master link pliers.  considering the weight and space they take up of those links is so negligible, no harm in carrying a few.  

A true cyclist here.  N+1, baby!
Got three, love them all in their own way:

Trek Domane SL5 - road bike that has been on the trainer since January, need to actually get it back on the road at some point but I ride the Sport on the roads so it works out.

Trek FX Sport 4 - love this bike, was the one I started with a couple years ago and trianed on until I got the Domane. Still ride this a lot.

Trek Marlin 7 - hard tail that I got to get into MTB. The bike is fine, my old ### just doesn't bounce as well as it used to.

Good stuff. I've never had a chain pop but just replaced one and got a few spare master links so I'll add them to the bag. Just ordered a patch kit as well, have about 3 tubes at home i keep saying I'm going to patch and never do  :thumbup:
Be careful how you carry your master link if you are also carrying a spare tube.  Friend of mine took a 3" screw to the sidewall.  Put in the spare and psssssssssst.  Master link in his pack wore a hole in his spare tube.  :X  

All of us in our mtb crew are running tubeless setups - it's awesome.  I don't think I'll ever go back to running tubes.  Aside from taking a 3" screw to the sidewall, we've never had a flat on the trail.  

BTW, for anyone on Zwift, I rode the Ride Like a King event this morning. It was a blast, highly encourage you to get in on one if you can. Think there are 3 left at various times over the weekend, 22-23 flat mile social ride. For every 1200km, Giant donates a bike to World Bike Relief (think that's the name). The group I was in had about 900 riders so we kicked in about 27 bikes. Cool event.

Trek Domane SL5 - road bike that has been on the trainer since January, need to actually get it back on the road at some point but I ride the Sport on the roads so it works out.

Trek FX Sport 4 - love this bike, was the one I started with a couple years ago and trianed on until I got the Domane. Still ride this a lot.

Trek Marlin 7 - hard tail that I got to get into MTB. The bike is fine, my old ### just doesn't bounce as well as it used to.
Awesome - had no idea you were that into it!

I'm mainly a mountain biker - my roots are in dirt bikes (enduro), so I'm naturally drawn to the dirt. Friggin love my Scott Scale 920.  Going carbon is like a cheat code. Friends own their own bike shop and push Scott pretty hard.  

My roadie is an old Canondale R600.  It was a hand-me-down from my grandfather who used to ride a lot.  It doesn't fit me that great, but I make do.  I know I'm leaving a lot of speed on the table with this thing, but dont care to spend the money to upgrade.  I jump on the roadie when I need the outlet and my achilles tells me to not run (grrr). I'm amazed at how good the bike is for my legs and fitness.  Between riding and soccer, I am starting to feel like myself.

Trek Stache hardtail was my first (circa 2014 I think), then got a Salsa chili con crosso, then got a Pivot 429 Carbon (which is what I normally ride outside, LOVE it), and most recently got a Trek Domane ALR4 disc for the trainer.  Wife has a brand new Trek Fuel EX that I can ride as well, but it's heavier than my Pivot.  N+1.

Awesome - had no idea you were that into it!

I'm mainly a mountain biker - my roots are in dirt bikes (enduro), so I'm naturally drawn to the dirt. Friggin love my Scott Scale 920.  Going carbon is like a cheat code. Friends own their own bike shop and push Scott pretty hard.  

My roadie is an old Canondale R600.  It was a hand-me-down from my grandfather who used to ride a lot.  It doesn't fit me that great, but I make do.  I know I'm leaving a lot of speed on the table with this thing, but dont care to spend the money to upgrade.  I jump on the roadie when I need the outlet and my achilles tells me to not run (grrr). I'm amazed at how good the bike is for my legs and fitness.  Between riding and soccer, I am starting to feel like myself.
Into it might be a stretch  :D  We have a great greenway close by but between wipe outs and just the beating a hard tail can administer I don't go as much as I thought I would. It's also crowded and a lot of single track. I'm not that confident to be able to navigate without either taking someone out or myself. It's fun and a great workout, I'm just looking for less rocks and more fire road type stuff as I get older.

I was wondering what happened to you in the 10k thread, figured there was a pretty serious injury or something degenerative. Lost all motivation when my knee raised the white flag but discovered biking about 2 years ago and have hit it hard since. Road for a year on the roads not knowing what I was doing then got on Zwift and had to actually learn how to ride, it's been fun.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I jump on the roadie when I need the outlet and my achilles tells me to not run (grrr). I'm amazed at how good the bike is for my legs and fitness.  Between riding and soccer, I am starting to feel like myself.
amen, brother. 

• Smile
Be careful how you carry your master link if you are also carrying a spare tube.  Friend of mine took a 3" screw to the sidewall.  Put in the spare and psssssssssst.  Master link in his pack wore a hole in his spare tube.  :X  

All of us in our mtb crew are running tubeless setups - it's awesome.  I don't think I'll ever go back to running tubes.  Aside from taking a 3" screw to the sidewall, we've never had a flat on the trail.  
My road bike is tubeless, I love it.

• Smile
First off - OUCH.  Never seen this one before, but I feel for the peloton there.   I've never been in weather like that.

Also have three.  An old Specialized hardtail that I need to replace at some point (3x7, ugh).

Cervelo S5 - Seriously might be the best purchase I've ever made.  It's a superlative bike in every way - only add was a spider based power meter.  Current cost now is way, way higher than what I got it at 5-6 years ago.  

Kestrel 4000 TT - Looks ridiculously fast, and that's really the point, right?  Great bike, though the back brake sucks.  Drives like a truck - really wants to go straight, fast. Other than that, with a deep front and a wheel cover for the back I've hit 27mph average in a tri (dead flat course).  

Really want a gravel bike.  Not sure why, just because.

I'm hosed if I have a tube blowout, though when I go on trails that get pretty far from the parking lot, I wear a hydration pack that has a spare tube.
Never would have considered this before now. I busted a rear hanger on a ride earlier this year. Was a loooong 8-10 mile hike back to the truck, mostly uphill. 

I don't know if we talk pro cycling in here but watching Sepp Kuss in the Dauphiné right now and it's great to see a strong American cyclist out on the road! 

Sand said:
Really want a gravel bike.  Not sure why, just because.
Only have a gravel bike and hardtail these days. Have slicks I can put on the gravel bike if I need to ride with friends who like to go fast. The gravel bike allows me to everything I need to. Bikepacking - has mounts galore and am thinking abouit adding some more myself with some rivnuts. Take it on singletrack so long as it is not too technical. Haul groceries or lots of other stuff. Relaxed enough geometry that I can ride for hours. Big fan

After 6 years, I lost my multitool today on the trail. I switched to the tiny tool and added a tube. I read a tip online to wrap the tube in tyvek - we had an empty tyvek chicken food bag, so I did that. I’m hoping that keeps it from getting punctured.

I need to figure out if I need a second CO2 cartridge to fill a full tube.

Only have a gravel bike and hardtail these days. Have slicks I can put on the gravel bike if I need to ride with friends who like to go fast. The gravel bike allows me to everything I need to. Bikepacking - has mounts galore and am thinking abouit adding some more myself with some rivnuts. Take it on singletrack so long as it is not too technical. Haul groceries or lots of other stuff. Relaxed enough geometry that I can ride for hours. Big fan
What bike?

I need to figure out if I need a second CO2 cartridge to fill a full tube.
Generally a 12 gram is enough for a road tire and 16 is enough for a MTB tire.  If you have a fat tire maybe you need a bit more, but those can be run at pretty low pressures.

Generally a 12 gram is enough for a road tire and 16 is enough for a MTB tire.  If you have a fat tire maybe you need a bit more, but those can be run at pretty low pressures.
Thanks, that helps.  I just threw a second 12 in, but I'll see if I can find some 16s when these are gone.

I'm realizing that the tiny tool I have isn't really enough - I need tire levers and a chain tool, so I might buy another Alien2 or some other tool that has those included... maybe a Topeak Hexus since it's smaller and less expensive.

Thanks, that helps.  I just threw a second 12 in, but I'll see if I can find some 16s when these are gone.

I'm realizing that the tiny tool I have isn't really enough - I need tire levers and a chain tool, so I might buy another Alien2 or some other tool that has those included... maybe a Topeak Hexus since it's smaller and less expensive.
This chart has notes for 16 and 20.  Basically a 16 is perfect for 26" tires and works good for road tires (maybe stop before you get to 130psi  :D ).  At bigger going to 20 or even multiples is needed.

First attempt at DIY bike flat repair... not so good.  

I'm stuck on the step of getting tire around the last part of the wheel.   Any ideas?  Videos suggest rolling it, but the thing won't budge.  Videos also suggest to not use levers at this stage. 

I'm planning on taking it to LBS tomorrow.  I don't mind outsourcing this in general, but a little bit disappointing that I'm stuck if this ever happens out on a ride. 

I'm stuck on the step of getting tire around the last part of the wheel.   Any ideas?  Videos suggest rolling it, but the thing won't budge.  Videos also suggest to not use levers at this stage. 

I'm planning on taking it to LBS tomorrow.  I don't mind outsourcing this in general, but a little bit disappointing that I'm stuck if this ever happens out on a ride. 
Umm, yeah, some tires can be mega tight.  I'll never buy another Michelin Pro tire - OMG if one of those flatted I'd never get it off in the field.  Anyway, I use two levers - one hooked to a spoke on one side to block it from the bead creeping away from you and one to slowly jack the tire toward the fixed one.  Just have to be careful not to pinch the tube.  

Get good levers - Pedros.  They don't break and are wide enough to get good leverage.

(BTW, you need to be able to change one on the road.  It's gonna happen.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I got it a little closer but not all the way using levers. I'm going to get some tips from the bike shop and take it from there. 

Thanks. I got it a little closer but not all the way using levers. I'm going to get some tips from the bike shop and take it from there. 
BTW, anyone that can roll a right road tire back onto the rim is an ogre in disguise.  No effin' way I could do that.  MTB tires are much easier to roll on.

BTW, anyone that can roll a right road tire back onto the rim is an ogre in disguise.  No effin' way I could do that.  MTB tires are much easier to roll on.
New tires are an absolute ##### but can get them if I take some time to stretch them out a bit before mounting. Tires that have been on a rim for at least a little while are usually no problem.  Takes a bit of practice though to find the right technique to massage/work it up the rim. But I agree, it also helps if you have these

A true cyclist here.  N+1, baby!
N+1 is the way....

2018 Specialized Tarmac SL5 Expert DA (Roadie) - My first ever road bike in 2006 was a used Tarmac and then played around with a couple of others (Scott, Kuota, Cannondale) prior to going back to a Tarmac in 2011 or so. Stayed on that and a Specialized Allez up until two years ago when moving to France. This was my moving gift to myself as I knew I was about to be moving to a place with boatloads of great cycling and wanted a machine to match how much I'd be out there. The color is amazing this this blue/purple chameleon paint.

2012 Felt DA1 Frame + Build (Tri-bike) - Got this frame that someone built up to a tri-rig for an absolute steal on eBay a few years ago. Added a nice wheelset to it, new aerobar pads, and got fitted and it's a dream. The only pain in the ### are the integrated frame brakes in the rear wheel and it's difficult for me to do maintenance on them. Will be using it for my first Ironman next summer.

Masi Uno Single Speed Steel Frame ( Gray/Green Team Edition) - My around town bike. I previously had a Masi Speciale Commuter and in 2015 it was stolen (R.I.P.) on the streets of Chicago. :cry: It was my most favorite bike ever and from then on I have never left a bike out on the street for very long in any place. I found another Masi SS, this one is more of a steel racing bike with sweet matte gray/green custom colors from a semi-pro team. Not as comfortable as those sweet 32mm tires on my Speciale but it's outfitted with vintage Dura Ace and we've come to grow a nice relationship over the years.

:pics:  My roadie and TT hanging above the TV.  Up until just a couple weeks ago I used the carbon wheels on the Tarmac but the bikes are now set up the way they'll be for the next year or so. Put the carbon wheels on the TT bike for the tri-training and the wheels on my Tarmac are a pair of DT Swiss RR511s that I built during quarantine. With 32-spokes and 28mm GP 5000s they are kind of bomb proof. Running an 11-32 cassette but the kicker is the Shutter Precision Dynamo Hub up front to power my electronics. Will use this wheelset for the Transcontinental Race next summer and I hope to give the wheels their maiden voyage on the road this weekend. My first ever wheelset build and hopefully they survive!

Try to keep the rest of the tire that's already on the rim squeezed together so that both sides are in the middle of the rim where it extends towards the hub.   This will create some extra slack for the remainder of the tire. Its a lot easier easier if you just use some type of strap/bungee to keep a couple sections squeezed together unless you have 4 arms.    

:flex:  :headbang:  I had a period of time last year were it seemed like I went through about a tire a week for a month or two. You get proficient at changing them when looking at the business end of a 6 mile walk home.

I just switched out some road tires and forgot how much fun getting those last 4-5" on the rim are. As others have mentioned @Brony learn how. It will happen on the road and it will be the furthest point away from wherever you need to be.

Users who are viewing this thread