What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Oh, and next Tuesday is the ROH-NJPW show in Philadelphia. From the article I linked above, the main event is the Briscoes vs. Okada and Nakamura.

#wrestlingboner

Man just impossible not to feel awful for DB. You know the guy just loves wrestling.

On the plus side that Neville-Cena match was awesome.

That was a super bummer.
Yeah I think that's the end.

Bryan is probably in he magnum ta realm of guys that could have been
Not really. Bryan was THE man on the indies and had to scratch and claw his way to the top in WWE before a neck/shoulder injury ends him.

TA never made it to the top. To me, Brian Pillman reminds me more of TA: motorcycle accident cutting a guy down on the upswing and he's never the same.

I'm going to say it: Daniel Bryan reminds me more of Steve Austin.

Austin, like Bryan, was a smark darling for years before he finally makes it into WWF. He scratches and claws his way to the top in WWF, finally taking an opportunity when HHH decides to make a curtain call and spits out the greatest wrestling bible verse in history during King of the Ring. The neck injury Austin suffered from Owen cut his reign on top short in the end after becoming wildly popular. Bryan's reign on top ends after a neck/shoulder injury after becoming wildly popular.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brady Marino said:
Smack Tripper said:
JB Breakfast Club said:
That was a super bummer.

Not really. Bryan was THE man on the indies and had to scratch and claw his way to the top in WWE before a neck/shoulder injury ends him.

TA never made it to the top. To me, Brian Pillman reminds me more of TA: motorcycle accident cutting a guy down on the upswing and he's never the same.

Austin, like Bryan, was a smark darling for years before he finally makes it into WWF. He scratches and claws his way to the top in WWF, finally taking an opportunity when HHH decides to make a curtain call and spits out the greatest wrestling bible verse in history during King of the Ring. The neck injury Austin suffered from Owen cut his reign on top short in the end after becoming wildly popular. Bryan's reign on top ends after a neck/shoulder injury after becoming wildly popular.
thats fair on both counts....

Who are the "could have beens".... start with Pillman, he's the biggest to me.... TA, probably Bryan as a main eventer, Austin had, in his terms, a HELL-ACIOUS run.

Feel like Tom Zenk could have been bigger...

Ted Dibase Jr, solid but unspectacular but not compatable with this era.

Just feel awful for Bryan either way

Yeah, I think Bryan is done. And I think this is why he didn't win the Rumble. In every match since his return I struggled to enjoy it for fear he would do permanent damage to himself. Hopefully they can find a role for him. Looks like he's involved in "tough enough".

I guess the Elimination Chamber will be for the IC Title then? :oldunsure:

edit: Just read that the IC and Tag Titles both being defended in the chamber.

Brady Marino said:
Smack Tripper said:
JB Breakfast Club said:
That was a super bummer.

thats fair on both counts....

Who are the "could have beens".... start with Pillman, he's the biggest to me.... TA, probably Bryan as a main eventer, Austin had, in his terms, a HELL-ACIOUS run.

I think Pillman could/would have been an Austin-level main eventer. He was on a level nobody had seen before.

Zenk and Dibiase seemed like career midcarders to me. What about Mr. Perfect if he doesn't wreck his back in 91'. I think there was a chance he gets a Bret Hart-esq push in the mid-90's.

Really hope Bryan is another Michaels, where he takes as much time off as he needs, and comes back 100%.

Brady Marino said:
Smack Tripper said:
JB Breakfast Club said:
That was a super bummer.
Yeah I think that's the end.Bryan is probably in he magnum ta realm of guys that could have been
Not really. Bryan was THE man on the indies and had to scratch and claw his way to the top in WWE before a neck/shoulder injury ends him.TA never made it to the top. To me, Brian Pillman reminds me more of TA: motorcycle accident cutting a guy down on the upswing and he's never the same.

thats fair on both counts....Who are the "could have beens".... start with Pillman, he's the biggest to me.... TA, probably Bryan as a main eventer, Austin had, in his terms, a HELL-ACIOUS run.

I think Pillman could/would have been an Austin-level main eventer. He was on a level nobody had seen before.Zenk and Dibiase seemed like career midcarders to me. What about Mr. Perfect if he doesn't wreck his back in 91'. I think there was a chance he gets a Bret Hart-esq push in the mid-90's.

Really hope Bryan is another Michaels, where he takes as much time off as he needs, and comes back 100%.
Perfect is a good one. So is rude. Those boys were working Lloyd's of London back in the day and probably could have worked.

Zenk had fire, a good look, a good workrate. If he knew the business half as well as he thought he did, he could have really been a successor to hogan in my opinion. Granted he left in 87 so I'm talking a Bret hart like apprenticeship through tag ranks. Tag titles. Ic belt.

But he got mad a former main eventer made more money than him in their tag team and he walked.

As cena shows there is a lot more than the sum of the parts to be great.

Smack Tripper said:
Zenk had fire, a good look, a good workrate. If he knew the business half as well as he thought he did, he could have really been a successor to hogan in my opinion. Granted he left in 87 so I'm talking a Bret hart like apprenticeship through tag ranks. Tag titles. Ic belt.

But he got mad a former main eventer made more money than him in their tag team and he walked.

I dont think anyone in the industry liked Zenk. Never saw main event with him but he could have been more than he was. Even though his in ring work was significantly down after his wreck, I think Pillman could have been a main event guy (even if a short run) during his WWE days.

If we're going to consider former World Champion Daniel Bryan who won his title on the grandest stage at Wrestlemania as a could-have-been, then my could-have-been is Kurt Angle -- as the greatest of all-time.

I already consider Angle on the short on the short list of potential greatest of all-time, but I can't put him on top because too much of his run was in TNA. I get the feeling that most people don't even put Angle on their short list because too much of his career was spent in a second-rate organization they didn't watch.

Angle had it all.

The pedigree, the workrate, the physique -- the believability as a bad ### because of all three.

The charisma, the mic skills, the flare for the dramatic -- the ability to move people because of all three.

The five star matches, the title reigns, the ability to put butts in seats -- the resume to be considered a great as both a performer and draw.

If Angle had not had his demons and had he stayed in the WWE, this extended Cena run may have been an extended Angle run. Since Angle hit the ground running so quick he was at main event level very early in his career. If he stayed in the WWE, he likley would have had one of the longest runs ever at or near the top of the card. A run that would have rivaled Sammartino or Cena.

Even if Vince made Cena 1A and Angle 1B, Angle assuredly would have had numerous more runs with the belt. Since the belt changed hands so often during that period, Angle could have had the absurd number of title runs of Cena, Orton, or Triple H. Angle could have been considered among the best ever for the marks who count title runs.

Since Angle left the WWE in his prime, he most assuredly would have had several more four or five star matches at Wrestlemania which would have etched Angle as perhaps the greatest ever in people's memories.

But it was not to be. A tragic tale of what drugs (or the WWE schedule?) can do to men. Even those who look invincible.

finally watched Raw from this week. I thought it was pretty good. The Cena match was great. I thought Cesaro was going to break Big E's neck on one of those flips at one point :eek:

If we're going to consider former World Champion Daniel Bryan who won his title on the grandest stage at Wrestlemania as a could-have-been, then my could-have-been is Kurt Angle -- as the greatest of all-time.

I already consider Angle on the short on the short list of potential greatest of all-time, but I can't put him on top because too much of his run was in TNA. I get the feeling that most people don't even put Angle on their short list because too much of his career was spent in a second-rate organization they didn't watch.

Angle had it all.

The pedigree, the workrate, the physique -- the believability as a bad ### because of all three.

The charisma, the mic skills, the flare for the dramatic -- the ability to move people because of all three.

The five star matches, the title reigns, the ability to put butts in seats -- the resume to be considered a great as both a performer and draw.

If Angle had not had his demons and had he stayed in the WWE, this extended Cena run may have been an extended Angle run. Since Angle hit the ground running so quick he was at main event level very early in his career. If he stayed in the WWE, he likley would have had one of the longest runs ever at or near the top of the card. A run that would have rivaled Sammartino or Cena.

Even if Vince made Cena 1A and Angle 1B, Angle assuredly would have had numerous more runs with the belt. Since the belt changed hands so often during that period, Angle could have had the absurd number of title runs of Cena, Orton, or Triple H. Angle could have been considered among the best ever for the marks who count title runs.

Since Angle left the WWE in his prime, he most assuredly would have had several more four or five star matches at Wrestlemania which would have etched Angle as perhaps the greatest ever in people's memories.

But it was not to be. A tragic tale of what drugs (or the WWE schedule?) can do to men. Even those who look invincible.
I don't disagree in theory Gary. Angle could have been a Mount Rushmore guy. But I feel like he had runs in the wwe. Bryan never had his run at the top.

That said, I am not a big fan of bryan and I don't know his character would have worked on top.

Since we have started talking what ifs with Angle staying WWE and Bryan staying healthy, I think the most interesting one I can think of is, what if Shawn Michaels doesn't hurt his back? They had just had the title put back on him at Survivor Series, and was the leader of the most over faction(DX) at the time, and most of the guys rising up in 98' and 99' hadn't had feuds with him yet other than Undertaker, not like that would have stopped them obviously.

There is a potential chance if he stays healthy that:

*With as often as the title changed hands, Michaels is in that Flair-Cena-HHH area of 10+ world title reigns.

*HHH never rises to top dog status of DX, or is set back at least, his world title push happens later or maybe not at all.

*Michaels, and not the Rock, is Austin's main rival from 98-01, meaning Rock stays in the midcard longer and maybe has an entirely different career all together, including maybe never leaving WWE.

*Austin doesn't win the title at Mania, perhaps due to Tyson staying on DX's side, perhaps to set up a later Tyson-Austin program

*Mick Foley never wins the world title

How different does the attitude era look then? Or do you think Michaels would have been shuffled out of the main event scene anyway kind of like Undertaker was for much of that era?

Since Angle is from Pittsburgh and went to college at Clarion University, every great once in a while I hear a story or two about him. One of these stories involved his training regimen. Supposedly, he would plug his nose do his workouts anaerobically. Regardless, he is seen as a beast in the gym...which lends itself to his ability to work in the ring.

Tonight's Lucha Underground will feature Alberto El Patron vs. Hernandez for the #1 contender's spot for the LU title.

Since we have started talking what ifs with Angle staying WWE and Bryan staying healthy, I think the most interesting one I can think of is, what if Shawn Michaels doesn't hurt his back? They had just had the title put back on him at Survivor Series, and was the leader of the most over faction(DX) at the time, and most of the guys rising up in 98' and 99' hadn't had feuds with him yet other than Undertaker, not like that would have stopped them obviously.

*With as often as the title changed hands, Michaels is in that Flair-Cena-HHH area of 10+ world title reigns.

*HHH never rises to top dog status of DX, or is set back at least, his world title push happens later or maybe not at all.

*Michaels, and not the Rock, is Austin's main rival from 98-01, meaning Rock stays in the midcard longer and maybe has an entirely different career all together, including maybe never leaving WWE.

*Austin doesn't win the title at Mania, perhaps due to Tyson staying on DX's side, perhaps to set up a later Tyson-Austin program

How different does the attitude era look then? Or do you think Michaels would have been shuffled out of the main event scene anyway kind of like Undertaker was for much of that era?
Great hypo.

If michaels wasn't injured, I think he joins the dead wrestler club. Guy was a mess for a lot of the 90s. That injury saved his life.

But giving him more time, I don't doubt he would have tried to politic past austin but it would have been the death nell to the company to not have austin go over at mania.

Rock was just a stud so he emerges.

But maybe foley doesn't reach his full flower. Hard to see him in the main event. Maybe he gets a Stevie Richards like fodder spot where dude love plays off Hbk and that might have been awesome.

I kind of think shamrock was wasted in this era. They should have booked him like Brock is booked now

I always wondered about this myself, but in a few of the interviews Michaels did on his latest book tour he acknowledged that he was likely going to take some extended time off after WM17 (or the next PPV) even before the back injury. The reasoning was that they wanted Austin to start his title run with Mr. McMahon being the main foil. Michaels himself was pretty beat up at that time mentally and physically irrespective of the back injury.

So if Michaels doesn't end up with the back injury, he likely returns late in '98 or '99, but still spends much of the next few years without the title as he didn't necessarily fit in with the Authority gimmick (i.e., the Austin foil) as he himself had his own rebel image.

As for Triple H, I think he would have found his way to the top one way or another for a variety of reasons.

I strongly feel that if those things were to happen, the Attitude era doesn't give wrestling the boom that they did, WWF doesn't take enough of a lead on WCW because they don't bring in that new audience that they did, and since WCW sticks around longer, they don't spiral out of control to the point of bringing in Russo.

That may sound good for business with WCW sticking around longer, but it's for the wrong reasons. Michaels needed to step away for all of that to happen. If his ego allowed it to happen while he's active then that would have been fantastic.

Even if Shawn didn't get hurt, Austin was getting that strap at WM. There was no way they could've avoided that.

Honestly, I think Michaels gets out of WWE at some point that year to join his buddies down south.

Since Angle is from Pittsburgh and went to college at Clarion University, every great once in a while I hear a story or two about him. One of these stories involved his training regimen. Supposedly, he would plug his nose do his workouts anaerobically. Regardless, he is seen as a beast in the gym...which lends itself to his ability to work in the ring.
On one wrestling podcast (I think it was Stone Cold's), Angle was discussing his pre-Olympic workout routine. Angle said that he thought there were Olympic competitors who could likely out wrestle him so he was going to make damn sure that nobody was in better condition than him. He then discussed his routine that started in the AM hours and went all day. I forget the specifics of the routine, but I remember thinking, "My God, that is the most insane workout plan I have ever heard. That's not human." The host had the same reaction.

Fantasy booking time. Bear with me.

Elimination chamber - Wyatt goes over for the title after a repackaged Bo Dallas (in full hillbilly mode) interferes in the final 2 showdown between Wyatt and Orton.

MITB - Wyatt along with his disciple Bo retains over Orton

July PPV - Wyatt goes over Ambrose after Reigns turns heel setting up a Reigns-Ambrose feud into SS

Wyatt looking dominant as champ. Returning Lesnar is #1 contender. Circumstances keep bringing Bray and Bo into standoffs with Rowan/Harper. You think the reunion is coming but Harper challenges Bray. Bray goes over in a slugfest on Raw. After the match him and Bo pummel the other two.

SummerSlam - Bray goes over Brock in a violent match, when Bo, Harper and Rowan interfere on Brays behalf. The reunion is complete.

The Wyatts dominate now and Bray looks unbeatable as champ.

Enter Fin Balor. Maybe debut him at SummerSlam. Give him an IC or US title reign, and a win at the Rumble.

WM main event. Wyatt vs Balor.

I think these are the two best and most charismatic performers. It could also get us away from that stale as all hell Authority crap that's long run its course.

Elimination chamber - Wyatt goes over for the title after a repackaged Bo Dallas (in full hillbilly mode) interferes in the final 2 showdown between Wyatt and Orton.

July PPV - Wyatt goes over Ambrose after Reigns turns heel setting up a Reigns-Ambrose feud into SS

Wyatt looking dominant as champ. Returning Lesnar is #1 contender. Circumstances keep bringing Bray and Bo into standoffs with Rowan/Harper. You think the reunion is coming but Harper challenges Bray. Bray goes over in a slugfest on Raw. After the match him and Bo pummel the other two.

SummerSlam - Bray goes over Brock in a violent match, when Bo, Harper and Rowan interfere on Brays behalf. The reunion is complete.

Enter Fin Balor. Maybe debut him at SummerSlam. Give him an IC or US title reign, and a win at the Rumble.

I think these are the two best and most charismatic performers. It could also get us away from that stale as all hell Authority crap that's long run its course.
You are better than they have, but Rollins is indispensable. What do you do with him?

Does the clowning on Daniel Bryan by Bo Dallas mean that Bryan's injury isn't as bad as presumed?......or are they just trying to squeeze out every last bit of value out of Bryan by Dallas using him for cheap heat?

You are better than they have, but Rollins is indispensable. What do you do with him?
Agreed. I'm all for fantasy booking, but Rollins has been the MVP of the past year or so, and just started his title reign.

That said, I'd be on board with Wyatt winning the IC title at Elimination chamber, and all of this can happen, just on a smaller scale. I certainly would like to see them actually do something with him, and the family by extension.

I can't take Rollins character anymore. They have completely sucked the life out of an awesome performer by giving him this chicken ####, ##### gimmick that can't beat anyone without multiple guys interfering. He's also close to being cringe worthy on the mic. This is a guy who's skill set in the ring really lends itself to being a face. His matches are even boring now because he's handcuffed by this stupid gimmick.

So yeah I left him out of this but I would def not forget him. I would correct the mistake, turn him face and probably set up a feud with Triple H.

Rollins cannot carry the show in this role. Wyatt absolutely can with his mic work alone.

Wyatt > Rollins

I have absolutely no interest in seeing this Rollins against Brock.

Top three SS matches

Wyatt vs Lesnar

Rollins vs Triple H

Ambrose vs Reigns

I'd probably have Reigns start an obnoxious Samoan heel group with Samoa Joe and The Usos.

Top three SS matches

Wyatt vs Lesnar

Rollins vs Triple H

Ambrose vs Reigns

I'd probably have Reigns start an obnoxious Samoan heel group with Samoa Joe and The Usos.
Agreed with everything you stated.Rollins is horrid, I find myself hitting the mute button every time his face is on the screen.

On one wrestling podcast (I think it was Stone Cold's), Angle was discussing his pre-Olympic workout routine. Angle said that he thought there were Olympic competitors who could likely out wrestle him so he was going to make damn sure that nobody was in better condition than him. He then discussed his routine that started in the AM hours and went all day. I forget the specifics of the routine, but I remember thinking, "My God, that is the most insane workout plan I have ever heard. That's not human." The host had the same reaction.
If you haven't read his book, you should check it outHe talks about his training regimen and it was insane.

You're right about his conditioning. He was more conditioned than any other wrestler

I dont think anyone in the industry liked Zenk.
Johnny Ace (AKA Big Johnny) did.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=907&q=tom+zenk+and+johnny+ace&oq=tom+zenk+and+johnny+ace&gs_l=img.3...1159.7772.0.8046.23.10.0.13.0.0.84.772.10.10.0.msedr...0...1ac.1.64.img..14.9.701.IvS5RlCSN68#imgrc=_

I can't take Rollins character anymore. They have completely sucked the life out of an awesome performer by giving him this chicken ####, ##### gimmick that can't beat anyone without multiple guys interfering. He's also close to being cringe worthy on the mic. This is a guy who's skill set in the ring really lends itself to being a face. His matches are even boring now because he's handcuffed by this stupid gimmick.

So yeah I left him out of this but I would def not forget him. I would correct the mistake, turn him face and probably set up a feud with Triple H.
Ok, I half agree with this. I hate that they are holding back Rollins by making him so reliant on others, and his move set is top face style. But I disagree on the mic assessment. I think Rollins might be the best person on the mic in the company right now, and I think the reason he has this character is because of that, his voice just screams weasely(?) heel. The only tweak I would like to see is to see more clean wins.

I do think an eventual face turn will happen, because most of the crowd is kinda just waiting for permission to cheer the guy. In fact, I kinda think that is why they added Ambrose to the PPV match on Sunday, because they didn't want the crowd to be cheering for Rollins to win.

As an aside, we both agree Rollins would be good as a face, I can't help but wonder what if Reigns had been the one to break up the Shield and join the authority. I can't help but think the main event scene would have been a lot more interesting these past 6 months or so, plus it would have hidden Reigns mic skills and saved us from infinite Reigns/Kane matches, in fact if Reigns were the authority chosen guy, they probably wouldn't have even bothered having Kane/Big Show as muscle behind him. On the flip side, we probably wouldn't have Mercury and Noble every week, so, maybe it turned out ok?

I have an image of this board sitting around watching NWA events, complaining about Ric Flair being the champion. WWE is pretty much running a Horseman angle with Rollins except his teammates aren't as strong as Arn/Tully. Protecting the title is paramount to the group. Rollins has the ability to win on his own, but he chooses to cheat, and that's why we don't like him.

PS: He's a heel. You aren't supposed to like the way he wrestles or talks.

I just want to see good matches surrounded by a good storyline. Rollins doesn't really put on good matches anymore and the Authority storyline is beyond horrible at this point.

Eta: I cannot believe you just compared the Authority to the Horsemen.

Eta: I cannot believe you just compared the Authority to the Horsemen.
That actually tops the time someone claimed Neville was Irish here.By JB Breakfast Club logic, The New Day are today's Fabulous Freebirds.

I didn't say they are the horseman (clearly J&J are not AA and Tully, and Rollins is much different than Flair). I said the angle is the same, and I stand by that.

The Horseman were obsessed with keeping the world title, because that gave them power. They constantly used run ins and ran interference when Flair was in trouble. Flair still defended the title against legit contenders, but he constantly outsmarted the baby faces.

I didn't say they are the horseman (clearly J&J are not AA and Tully, and Rollins is much different than Flair). I said the angle is the same, and I stand by that.

The Horseman were obsessed with keeping the world title, because that gave them power. They constantly used run ins and ran interference when Flair was in trouble. Flair still defended the title against legit contenders, but he constantly outsmarted the baby faces.
Their biggest issue is, they say there are no more good guys and bad guys, this is the reality era, but you need bad guys and they still have heels.

But they don't really have faces. They cut the balls out from guys getting over.

Ambrose in October,

Ziggler in decemeber

Orton when he came back

The pops were there and fans wanted to but they get cut instantly.

The whole thing is boring.

Users who are viewing this thread