What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (6 Viewers)

It's like Babe Ruth just got struck out by Engle

Helluva match b/w Owens and Cena

Can't believe they gave him the belt right away
I don't think that's happening....
The title wasn't on the line for that match?
Best match I've seen in a long time... so glad they didn't go the typical WWE booking route on that one
I guess the only thing with that is where does he go? He beat Cena out of the gate...so he doesn't have a need to beat him again. Unless there's a character modification on Cena' part......I don't see how you can sell a feud between them.

Maybe they run Owens as a complete anti-establishment figure and have him go after HHH next?
I think they'll do like they did with him and Lesnar. Cena will work harder and come out on top next time. Maybe Cena will put his career on the line. Something like that.

But I agree. They're starting him right at the top. And people thought Reigns was pushed too quickly.
I get what you're saying. I think I'm more in line with you in regards to not understanding the Cena/Reigns hate......but if Owens works...he works. He's done his time in the indys and I can't fault the WWE if they're trying to get a smark guy to the top quickly. I'm convinced...the best way to fo that is for HHH to take his bumps against him. Nothing else with work in regards to organically getting Owens to the top.

Best match I've seen in a long time... so glad they didn't go the typical WWE booking route on that one
I guess the only thing with that is where does he go? He beat Cena out of the gate...so he doesn't have a need to beat him again. Unless there's a character modification on Cena' part......I don't see how you can sell a feud between them.

Maybe they run Owens as a complete anti-establishment figure and have him go after HHH next?
I think they'll do like they did with him and Lesnar. Cena will work harder and come out on top next time. Maybe Cena will put his career on the line. Something like that.

But I agree. They're starting him right at the top. And people thought Reigns was pushed too quickly.
I get what you're saying. I think I'm more in line with you in regards to not understanding the Cena/Reigns hate......but if Owens works...he works. He's done his time in the indys and I can't fault the WWE if they're trying to get a smark guy to the top quickly. I'm convinced...the best way to fo that is for HHH to take his bumps against him. Nothing else with work in regards to organically getting Owens to the top.
You're probably right. The kid's got money written all over him. Of course they already have one unstoppable monster on the roster, even if he doesn't wrestle very often.

I think Cena will win the next round though. You have to think they've got a couple more big matches coming.

Have to think Rusev was booked to win until he got hurt. Ryback is plan C. I don't see any interesting follow up until Rusev returns. Putting Wyatt in the mix changes his style, where he doesn't really care about wins and losses.

...But Reigns couldn't work and hadn't already been working across the continent for the last 15 years. That's a huge difference.

Have to think Rusev was booked to win until he got hurt. Ryback is plan C. I don't see any interesting follow up until Rusev returns. Putting Wyatt in the mix changes his style, where he doesn't really care about wins and losses.
I don't really love the idea of Ryback winning the title... they made a big deal about raising the profile of the IC belt with Bryan winning at WM. And now the belt goes back to a plodding brute. Yes, Ryback moves well for a "big guy," but he's still a big guy who has already maxed out on his potential (IMO).

Enjoyed the EC last night. My sense is that over the last few months (starting with Wrestlemania) the in-ring work has gotten better. Is it a coincidence that the main roster product is getting better as NXT is rising? I think even the booking has been slightly better, though far from top notch. But I have to believe that HHH is beginning to influence what we're seeing on the main roster TV and PPVs. Things can only get better, right?

...But Reigns couldn't work and hadn't already been working across the continent for the last 15 years. That's a huge difference.
That's a fair point. He certainly showed me more in that match than I'd seen from him in NXT. Working with Cena helps, but he's obviously quite good. I think fans are bit hard on Reigns, though. He's come a long way.

The WWE has done a good job of explaining to less knowledgeable fans that Owens is no rookie.

I don't really love the idea of Ryback winning the title... they made a big deal about raising the profile of the IC belt with Bryan winning at WM. And now the belt goes back to a plodding brute. Yes, Ryback moves well for a "big guy," but he's still a big guy who has already maxed out on his potential (IMO).
I couldn't agree with you more here. As someone mentioned earlier, that might have been a hasty audible made necessary by the late injury to Rusev. I certainly hope he's a short term champion. I certainly don't mind power wrestlers and he's improved too, but he doesn't connect with me at all.

Enjoyed the EC last night. My sense is that over the last few months (starting with Wrestlemania) the in-ring work has gotten better. Is it a coincidence that the main roster product is getting better as NXT is rising? I think even the booking has been slightly better, though far from top notch. But I have to believe that HHH is beginning to influence what we're seeing on the main roster TV and PPVs. Things can only get better, right?
Aside from the Cena/Owens match which might be the leader in the clubhouse for match of the year, I thought the PPV was kind of "meh". I missed a fair amount of the main event with streaming issues, so that might have been good as well.

3 PPVs over a span of 4 weeks is too much. Hard to give them a proper build when they're that frequent. Many of last night's matches seemed disjointed. Of course the late scratch of Rusev probably didn't help the IC match.

But yeah, overall I think the WWE product is really good right now. I agree that NXT might be pushing them to get better.

The "divas" in the WWE should be really worried. The women's division is clearly superior in NXT. Honestly, they could keep Paige and replace everyone else with the best NXT women and be much better for it. I'd love to see a takeover angle which included a demand to no longer be called "divas".

Solid show. Two jaw dropping moments. The clean Owens pin and the Ambrose win. Hate the stupid reversal finish, reminds me of stupid WCW booking.

IC chamber was terrible but the tag team one was pretty good. New Day is good but Kidd and Cesaro have the makings of an all time team and they're not getting booked as such.

Solid show. Two jaw dropping moments. The clean Owens pin and the Ambrose win. Hate the stupid reversal finish, reminds me of stupid WCW booking.

IC chamber was terrible but the tag team one was pretty good. New Day is good but Kidd and Cesaro have the makings of an all time team and they're not getting booked as such.
Agreed on all counts. I'm guessing they are setting up for a Rollins/Ambrose rematch at MITB. Best main roster show since Mania in my opinion.

That IC title match might have been the worst chamber match ever, it was certainly the worst match last night. Right now, the IC title is basically the 10th most important title in the company, and I highly doubt Ryback is going to make it any more valuable.

Neville/Dallas was a much better match than it needed to be, shame the crowd was dead after Owens/Cena.

To Jeremy's point, as much as I love the NXT women's division, I can't help but worry about them. I mean, Paige was a can't miss, possible game changer in NXT, who had the best non-Sasha women's matches in NXT history, and while technically successful, has greatly regressed since getting called up. I was glad to see they tried to have some interesting spots in the women's match last night, but it was a disjointed mess at best, they got lucky the IC title match was even more of a disjointed mess. I am with you that the "diva" term is annoying at best, and offensive at worst.

I think the biggest takeaway from watching the past few NXT shows and the past few main roster shows, is that WWE style needs to be put to rest. That's a big reason why everybody is falling all over themselves over all these indy people on NXT, because they have more diverse(and usually better) styles. It makes things far more interesting and less predictable. Its not a talent issue, the roster is arguably as deep as it has ever been, but whomever puts together most main roster matches, maybe needs to go on a long vacation.

Neville/Dallas was a much better match than it needed to be, shame the crowd was dead after Owens/Cena.
:goodposting: Thought it was 2nd best match on the card behind Cena/owens. Too bad as u mentioned they had it follow it. Good to see bo Dallas at least on ppv. Guy is money & certainly imo has ability to draw more money than Ambrose(along with a majority of the rest of the roster) in a pg era wwe. Neville potential is capped with that accent. It will never keep the audience's attention. (And he's already got stature working against him)

They're killing Rollins with this Kane/security bull####. So we getting another 6 months of this? :yawn: I think they've absolutely butchered his run as champ. I completely tuned out the match as it's the same thing as every Rollins match the past 6 months with kane/security

Agree with comment above that nxt women blow wwe main roster women out of the water. Sad when u have a bella (who has ZERO business talking on live programming & can't hold a candle to numerous nxt women from a work rate standpoint) holding the belt. No matter how much wwe wants to pipe in an ovation at beginning of the bellas theme song, no one gives 2 ####s about her or her equally as useless sister. Too bad they won't just leave the business already

Last edited by a moderator:
Nxt vs wwe

Nxt is short, action packed and to the point, leaving people wanting more every week. Wwe is just so oversaturated. What 7 hours of programming each week? They can't even fill 3 hours of decent content every Monday.

Ryback-Big Show? Are they ####### kidding? This is how they're going to bring back the IC title??

I like when D Bryan calls him "The Ryback"

Ryback-Big Show? Are they ####### kidding? This is how they're going to bring back the IC title??

I like when D Bryan calls him "The Ryback"
The WWE has been on a good roll since Wrestlemania. Now we have Big Show and Mark Henry back and a Ryback push. Guess Vince woke up from his nap. <_<

Cena crushed it last night. Big assist to the kid beating cancer in the crowd, but I loved everything about that segment. Cena/Owens has done more in 3 weeks than Cena/Rusev did in three months. And I enjoyed that feud.

With this feud and the US Open Challenge, I'm more interested in what Cena is doing 10x over than whatever Rollins and the Authority are doing at the end of the night.

Cena crushed it last night. Big assist to the kid beating cancer in the crowd, but I loved everything about that segment. Cena/Owens has done more in 3 weeks than Cena/Rusev did in three months. And I enjoyed that feud.

With this feud and the US Open Challenge, I'm more interested in what Cena is doing 10x over than whatever Rollins and the Authority are doing at the end of the night.
agreed

Which is/was worse -- HHH hogging the world title or tired angle of the authority? As much as he wants to be, hhh will never ever be able to play the on air boss role as good as vince

Which is/was worse -- HHH hogging the world title or tired angle of the authority? As much as he wants to be, hhh will never ever be able to play the on air boss role as good as vince
I feel like the Authority would mean more if they had a stable of guys. Just having Rollins and Kane doesn't make them anything special. Why not have some of the NXT guys as part of the Authority? HHH brings them up from his minors and tells them they can come up to the main roster, but they have to side with him or they can stay in NXT. At least gives them a goup of guys.

I wonder if Kevin Owens was thinking to himself, "holy crap - now THAT'S how you cut a promo" when Cena was rolling last night. Cena has his faults, but he knows how to work a mic. That was about as good as it gets. Wrestlers have to occasionally be in awe of each other.

That pop Ambrose got at the end was Austin levels. I think they might have to give him a run with the strap.

That was just outstanding. I guess Cena brought that fan into the ring after the show too. How many kids fighting illnesses like that are clutching those "never give up" towels when going through the painful treatment?

And Owens was great as well. The way Owens was whiney throughout and then retreated there at the end was spot on heel work. And they really needed to re-establish who was the good guy and who was the bad guy. They accomplished that in spades. I want Cena to kick his ### so bad.

I wonder if Kevin Owens was thinking to himself, "holy crap - now THAT'S how you cut a promo" when Cena was rolling last night. Cena has his faults, but he knows how to work a mic. That was about as good as it gets. Wrestlers have to occasionally be in awe of each other.
Whoa. Color me surprised, I thought Cena's promo was one of the worst promos I've ever heard, and that Owens had greatly outclassed him. I thought Cena came across as a gigantic crybaby, just as he often did in the Rusev feud. Cena gets beat clean, then basically says that doesn't matter because Cena is a real man and Owens isn't is an argument a 4 year old would make.

I apologize for going on a rant here, but Cena's promo was really a great example of why people hate Cena. He lost cleanly, but instead of letting a guy go over, he has to cry about it, leading to a rematch which Cena will no doubt win, and take all of Owens heat in the process. Tying the never give up thing to Owens career was nice, everything else was awful. Throwing shade on Adam Rose, someone who actually is fighting for his sick kid, was annoying and pointless, and not very respectful. Owens called Cena an empty shell of a person filled up with corporate slogans and hollow moralizing nonsense. So Cena comes out and gives a bunch of slogans and hollow moralizations. He pointed out some kid with cancer not once, but twice. For what purpose? To what end? What does that have to do with Owens? It was a rambling bunch of nonsense after that. Just loud shouty noises absent substance.

Is it any wonder why so many younger, greener guys like poor Roman Reigns can’t cut a promo when THAT is what the face of the company comes up with? He spent five minutes spouting nonsense and then accused the OTHER guy of not thinking before he speaks. Unbelievable.

People have said it was cool that Cena put Owens over, but Cena doesn't put anyone over ever, he always gets his heat back. Everybody always looks worse after feuding with Cena. Rusev looks like just a guy right now, Wyatt still hasn't recovered, and even Punk got hindered by it. Even against Brock there had to be a BS finish in their rematch.

People have said it was cool that Cena put Owens over, but Cena doesn't put anyone over ever, he always gets his heat back. Everybody always looks worse after feuding with Cena.
Did Cena get back over Daniel Bryan after Cena let Bryan pin him cleanly at Summer Slam 2013?Did Cena get back over Brock Lesnar after Cena let Lesnar annihilate him at Summer Slam 2014?

Did Daniel Bryan and Brock Lesnar look better or worse after those matches?

Whoa. Color me surprised, I thought Cena's promo was one of the worst promos I've ever heard, and that Owens had greatly outclassed him. I thought Cena came across as a gigantic crybaby, just as he often did in the Rusev feud. Cena gets beat clean, then basically says that doesn't matter because Cena is a real man and Owens isn't is an argument a 4 year old would make.

I apologize for going on a rant here, but Cena's promo was really a great example of why people hate Cena. He lost cleanly, but instead of letting a guy go over, he has to cry about it, leading to a rematch which Cena will no doubt win, and take all of Owens heat in the process. Tying the never give up thing to Owens career was nice, everything else was awful. Throwing shade on Adam Rose, someone who actually is fighting for his sick kid, was annoying and pointless, and not very respectful. Owens called Cena an empty shell of a person filled up with corporate slogans and hollow moralizing nonsense. So Cena comes out and gives a bunch of slogans and hollow moralizations. He pointed out some kid with cancer not once, but twice. For what purpose? To what end? What does that have to do with Owens? It was a rambling bunch of nonsense after that. Just loud shouty noises absent substance.

Is it any wonder why so many younger, greener guys like poor Roman Reigns can’t cut a promo when THAT is what the face of the company comes up with? He spent five minutes spouting nonsense and then accused the OTHER guy of not thinking before he speaks. Unbelievable.

People have said it was cool that Cena put Owens over, but Cena doesn't put anyone over ever, he always gets his heat back. Everybody always looks worse after feuding with Cena. Rusev looks like just a guy right now, Wyatt still hasn't recovered, and even Punk got hindered by it. Even against Brock there had to be a BS finish in their rematch.
I kind of agree with this. I do think though that just in terms of delivery (and not message) Cena very much outclassed Owens.

People have said it was cool that Cena put Owens over, but Cena doesn't put anyone over ever, he always gets his heat back. Everybody always looks worse after feuding with Cena.
Did Cena get back over Daniel Bryan after Cena let Bryan pin him cleanly at Summer Slam 2013?Did Cena get back over Brock Lesnar after Cena let Lesnar annihilate him at Summer Slam 2014?

Did Daniel Bryan and Brock Lesnar look better or worse after those matches?
Bryan is a fair point, I kinda forgot about that since he lost the title 2 minutes after that match.

Night of Champions 2014 undid everything that Summerslam 2014 did. It was absolutely an exercise in making Brock look worse. Especially with the commentary team pointing out week after week that Cena had Brock beat if Rollins hadn't intervened. Yes, I think that made Brock look worse after that.

I guess it all depends on where you're starting from. I'm assuming you weren't a Cena fan before that promo, and I am, so I saw it a little differently.

Cena (the character) is a 15 time World Champion who worked his butt off for the last 15 years and Owens (in character), came out and disrespected him. He tried to reduce Cena's amazing legacy to souvenirs and catch phrases. Cena preaches hustle, loyalty, respect and to never give up, from which countless kids have taken inspiration, including Owens' kid apparently. Cena is rightly proud of that and is justifiably furious to hear Owens claim that he's just words and T-shirts. Owens was the whiner in that promo, complaining that he can't be his own kid's role model. That he needs to look to John Cena for that.

Great piece of business from both guys.

Cena (the man) is the top talent in the company. He's the draw. He sells the most merch. He's this era's Hulk Hogan as Owens himself pointed out in Jericho's podcast last week. He's not supposed to lose very often. Hogan, Austin, Rock (when he was babyface)...they very seldom lost and when they did they usually won the rematch. Heck even Ric Flair was that way working as a heel in NWA/WCW for many years. In promos they often talk about the "face of the company". Regardless of what they say on TV, everyone in the back knows that person is Cena. He's a lot less selfish than a lot of guys have been in his situation. His whole US Title run is about putting the spotlight on up and coming talent. Even though Cena prevails, they get a rub, assuming they perform well. He lets them kick out of his finisher and nearly beat him. He let Owens beat him clean as a sheet on his very first match in "the show". You think Shawn Michaels does that? Not a chance. There isn't a man in the lockerroom that doesn't respect the hell out of him, from everything I've heard and read.

Quick prediction.

Reigns wins the briefcase. Ambrose wins the title. Reigns cashes in that night, pissing off basically everyone. Reigns is your new heel champion.

Rollins snaps on The Authority to start his feud with Triple H. Probably will have to go thru Kane first.

Tommy Rogers of The Fantastics has passed away at the age of 54.

Being a WCCW homer growing up, there wasn't a better tag team IMO than The Fantastics. Looking back, they took the Rock And Roll Express formula and made it work just as well. Bobby Fulton would play "the Ricky Morton" and get the beat down, and Rogers would always make the hot tag and clean house. Their double dropkick was just as good as Morton and Gibson.

Loved watching those guys work together.

Users who are viewing this thread