Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread***

JBL with perhaps the line of the night, during ambrose/ziggler, referring to Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz.

Paraphrasing here, but he said something to the effect of the ambrose ziggler match being similar to what we saw last night from conor and diaz with the only difference being that these are adult-sized men. 

• Replies 23.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DJackson10

• Tom Servo

• Craig_MiamiFL

• Bogart

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm about to get on the road...     to Wrestlemania! I don't have exceptional seats, but I'll take a lot of pictures to share.

My 9 year said he would have liked Nakamura's intro if he didn't have that stupid violin player    but then I hit him with a Kinshasa and he piped down

BAYLEY to belly....big difference guy. 

Favorite Match Of The Weekend: The Revival vs. Gargano and Ciampa

Everything about this match was just so very good. Got up out of my seat a few times, can't say I did that for any match at SummerSlam (maybe Cena/AJ). Great storytelling, false finishes that worked, great ebb and flow.

And man, when Ciampa turns on Gargano eventually, it's going to be a Zayn/Owens type of brutal turn.

7 hours ago, Gary Coal Man said:

I read the ending of Lesnar-Orton wasn't the designed ending.  The ref called the match because Orton was bleeding too much and was too groggy to continue after Lesnar landed one of those elbows for real. Here's Orton's dome post-match, and he allegedly got ten staples to close that gash.

In the world of wrestling, though, who knows?  Perhaps they scripted that ending to look as close to a true beat down as possible to add to the aura of Lesnar as a real fighter in the squared-circle ala the Summer Slam that Lesnar completely destroyed Cena.

I wonder if the ending had anything to do with Connor McGregor calling out the WWE guys as wimps.  I still think that Connor and the WWE are building to a Wrestlemania payday or something.

Edited by SlaX
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Gary Coal Man said:

Probably because Japanese pro wrestling is better than American pro wrestling.  Japanese matches, on average, are usually stiffer, show a greater repertoire of moves, incorporate greater ring psychology, and involve two guys who can work and are not just characters or big guys.

All of this. If you haven't watched any NJPW, you may not understand what GCM is talking about. There's less cartoonishness to Japanese wrestling and it's treated more or less straight up as actual competition. Guys who've wrestled in Japan will get a higher IWC approval than someone coming from the college gymnasiums in Florida. 

My knock wasn't against Balor per se - he's definitely the deal - it's the whole rush to a title thing.

6 hours ago, Eminence said:

I hate Finn Balor, he's earned nothing is a bore in the ring with a crap finisher.

Won't be long before smark towns then against him, imo. Rollins can't take the title off him soon enough. It's an ugly ### title though...

:lmao: Probably not. Might want to educate yourself on Balor's pre-WWE career.

Fonzie/lion king may have torn labrum. Not surprising with the wrestling focused model they're going with, but banks looks to out for lengthy period with back issue and Fonzie/lion king will be out a long while if surgery req

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
1 hour ago, Tom Servo said:

:lmao: Probably not. Might want to educate yourself on Balor's pre-WWE career.

I meant in WWE. I get that he's got the resume in NXT but this rocket push bugs me for whatever reason.

He's been in TV for how many weeks and already has the belt? He's beaten Rollins, Rusev, and Reigns clean. It just bugs me for him to get such a huge push with guys like Cesaro and KO waiting in the wings.

Doesn't do much to establish the belt, imo.

25 minutes ago, Bayhawks said:

Is it a dangerous move, or is it being taken wrong?

I don't know if I would call it dangerous, just a simple toss into the barricade, no crazy spins or anything involved. Just have to be sure of your surroundings and where the wall is. Really just a case of bad luck IMO. Kind of the same thing when they tell you if you slip on ice or something, don't break your fall with your arm extended. Pretty much what Balor did.

37 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

I don't watch NXT and just saw Bayley for the first time.....so we're at the point now where we're using belly-to-bellys as finishers? FOH.

BAYLEY to belly....big difference guy. 

• Like 9

Everything I've read claims Roman's push came at the expense of white hot crowd favorites. Finn was a mix of right place, right time.

Hope he can make it back as entrant 30 in the RR. No advance warning, just let the heartbeats start.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, hagmania said:

Also for whatever reason, Finn's moveset seems narrow and yet perfect for him at the same time.

I like Finn a lot, especially his entrance.  He's good in the ring, but IMO a tier below the Seth Rollins' and AJ Styles' of the world.  I'm not sure I would have pushed him quite so fast.  I'd have maybe waited a few months before unveiling the Demon side of his character. 

Summerslam seems to have gotten mixed to poor reviews, and I think it's because many of the feuds seemed rushed after the brand split.  

50 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I like Finn a lot, especially his entrance.  He's good in the ring, but IMO a tier below the Seth Rollins' and AJ Styles' of the world.  I'm not sure I would have pushed him quite so fast.  I'd have maybe waited a few months before unveiling the Demon side of his character. 

Summerslam seems to have gotten mixed to poor reviews, and I think it's because many of the feuds seemed rushed after the brand split.  

Balor/Rollins didn't work outside the ring....but they were great together.

This company has more quality in ring talent then they've ever had.  There's no reason they should be getting mixed/poor reviews at their 2nd/3rd biggest PPV of the year. 

53 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

This company has more quality in ring talent then they've ever had.   

The WWE talent pool was both better and deeper during the early 2000s in the period after WCW and ECW folded and the WWE incorporated the best talent from those respective organizations along with their own home grown talent.

Just look at the list:  

Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Triple H, The Undertaker, The Rock (leaving around this period), Shawn Michaels (returning around this period), young Brock Lesnar, young John Cena, Rob Van Dam, Booker T, Kane, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Rey Mysterio, Edge & Christian, Dudley Boyz, Hardy Boyz, William Regal, Lance Storm, Dean Malenko, Tajiri, Kidman, etc.

Great mix between big guys and little guys, big names and big-time workers.

8 minutes ago, Teddy Stickles said:

Holy moly!  That was as real as it gets.  I thought the Miz was going to attack Daniel Bryan.  Holy smokes!

Considering that on Talking Smack the Usos recently placed some blame on Roman Reigns for the Usos not being as over as they used to be, I'm guessing that these Talking Smack interviews are worked shoots to give fans yearning for a more serious product something to chew on.  There's some truth to what's being said and the interviews are supposed to come off as real, but all parties know it's a work so no feelings are truly hurt.

5 hours ago, facook said:

:lmao: at any doubt it's a work.  C'mon, that isn't completely scripted?  Of course it is.  It's better than any promo on free tv, but it's totally scripted.  C'mon guys.

It's a worked shoot.  Yes.  But I'm reading that it wasn't a written script for the Miz and was mostly ad-libbed.  And that's what the company needs more of.   No doubt that Bryan knew it was coming though.  He and Renee just sold it really well.  Downside.  There's not really much to gain from the promo.  It's not like Bryan can get in the ring and wrestle the Miz.  

Edited by SlaX
3 hours ago, SlaX said:

It's a worked shoot.  Yes.  But I'm reading that it wasn't a written script for the Miz and was mostly ad-libbed.  And that's what the company needs more of.   No doubt that Bryan knew it was coming though.  He and Renee just sold it really well.  Downside.  There's not really much to gain from the promo.  It's not like Bryan can get in the ring and wrestle the Miz.  

Maybe he'd like to challenge Miz with an indy darling that fans might claim is "going to kill you."

I'd keep the belt on Miz until someone else special comes along after he cut far and away the best promo since Punk's 5+ years ago. Something a lot better (and more potential) than Joe. Will they? Of course not. They couldn't keep Punk away for more than a couple weeks when they should have sent him out on indy appearances, etc...Maybe something like Nakamuras debut

I'd keep the belt on Miz until someone else special comes along after he cut far and away the best promo since Punk's 5+ years ago. Something a lot better (and more potential) than Joe. Will they? Of course not. They couldn't keep Punk away for more than a couple weeks when they should have sent him out on indy appearances, etc...Maybe something like Nakamuras debut 

3 hours ago, hagmania said:

Maybe he'd like to challenge Miz with an indy darling that fans might claim is "going to kill you."

This would be great, great shtick. Every once in a while, GM Bryan gets into it with a main roster guy, and just calls up his favorite guy in NXT/new signing to do his bidding. As much fun as it would be to see Joe crush Miz, I think it would be great to see The Brian Kendrick come up and just go ape #### on someone for DB's honor.

Word coming out that Orton didn't know the ending to his match until he got to the arena that day. Gotta give Orton some credit for going with it, even if he didn't really want to.

The story behind Lesnar vs. Orton was to create a scenario where nobody knew where reality ended, and preferably where people thought Lesnar was breaking the code or script.

Orton wasn’t told until he got to the arena, as he was planning for a usual main event. He was told when he got there that he was not going to have a normal match, and that the match wasn’t about going back-and-forth and keeping both men strong, but about making Lesnar stronger. The original idea was to be a total destruction for Lesnar, where Orton would be on the ground bleeding. It was supposed to look like Lesnar “went against the script” on him and hurt him. There would be confusion and the match would end, with Orton seemingly concussed and the referee stopping the match....

There will be people denying this most likely, because they have to, but Orton was told that Lesnar knew how to graze him with his elbow to open up a cut without hurting him and was told that was what would happen in the match. As it turned out, Lesnar elbowed the hell out of him, and threw some stiff punches, and Orton was bleeding like crazy from a cut that needed ten staples to close. Orton stayed down and was acting like he was knocked out, as he was supposed to. Medical personnel and the referee acted confused, because they were. I don’t know this as a fact, but I believe the referee knew going in that Lesnar was winning, but if he did, was given a different finish, because the fact Lesnar was going over was not kept secret...

One person noted that Orton was told to do it, but wasn’t expecting it to be the way it was. He wasn’t going to complain publicly about it but also was never going to do that kind of a favor again and wasn’t particularly thrilled by it.