Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread***


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 23.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • DJackson10

    3215

  • Tom Servo

    3015

  • Craig_MiamiFL

    1442

  • Bogart

    1053

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm about to get on the road...     to Wrestlemania! I don't have exceptional seats, but I'll take a lot of pictures to share.

My 9 year said he would have liked Nakamura's intro if he didn't have that stupid violin player    but then I hit him with a Kinshasa and he piped down

BAYLEY to belly....big difference guy. 

4 hours ago, Thunderlips said:

Loving The Miz/Cena stuff......

 

ETA: Kind of hoping that Maryse ball bats Nikkis knee before the match and gets disqualified because I'm not a big fan of the mixed match. 

Miz and Maryse have been on fire. I just wish Cena/Nikki had been keeping up their end, as its kinda been a one sided feud with the faces just kinda shrugging everything off as usual.

Side note: Mixed tag matches are stupid, unless the men can fight the women. Otherwise its just two singles matches happening concurrently, and that is pointless and removes all the drama of tag team wrestling.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travdogg said:

Miz and Maryse have been on fire. I just wish Cena/Nikki had been keeping up their end, as its kinda been a one sided feud with the faces just kinda shrugging everything off as usual.

Side note: Mixed tag matches are stupid, unless the men can fight the women. Otherwise its just two singles matches happening concurrently, and that is pointless and removes all the drama of tag team wrestling.

What were you expecting?  Cena can have great pump up speeches, but he can't talk trash like Miz.  And Nikki's comebacks are basically at the level of "Oh yeah?!"

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, bcdjr1 said:

What were you expecting?  Cena can have great pump up speeches, but he can't talk trash like Miz.  And Nikki's comebacks are basically at the level of "Oh yeah?!"

It's the wrestling equivalent of the 1972 "Hairs vs. Squares" World Series between the A's and Reds. Mix/Maryse are the A's/Hairs, and the Cenas...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Power ranking the card for Wrestlemania 33 (the low tier, which oddly includes three title matches):

13. Smackdown Women's championship scramble thing - I like most of the competitors, but scrambles are not my thing. 
12. Andre the Giant Battle Royal - aka the Brauuuuuun show
11. Neville vs Austin Aries - I'd put this higher if it were mid-card instead of pre-show. 
10. Enzo/Cass vs Sheamus/Cesaro vs the Club (ladder match) - features my favorite and least favorite tag teams...I can't stand Ezno and Cass, and I love how Sheamus and Cesaro have meshed together. It'll have some fun spots with Cesaro in there for sure.
9. Corbin vs Ambrose - I still like Ambrose, and I think this will be a solid match, but it's a little lacking in drama for me. Fully expect Corbin to win to continue his climb toward the top of the card.

Edited by JB Breakfast Club
fixed numbering
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mid-tier (the drama section):

8. Cena/Nikki vs Miz/Maryse - I like the build up. I like the payoff for Miz's big year. I like the cheesiness that there might be a proposal. This is where the 6 hour long show can breathe a bit and have fun.
7. Nia Jax vs Sasha Banks vs Charlotte Flair vs Bayley - I don't think it'll hold up to last year, but I really like the potential for Charlotte can really shine with this group around her.
6. AJ Styles vs Shane - everyone expects a big spot, and AJ can shine up the rest of the match. If they keep it to 15 minutes instead of 25, it could be a sneaky show stealer.
5. Brock vs Goldberg - I am very interested to see how Brock gets re-established here since Goldberg has dominated him for six months.
4. Owens vs Jericho - KO is going to shine at Mania again. Jericho is a really nice non-Sami Zayn match for him. Get on board, man!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Top-tier (the good stuff)

3. Orton vs Wyatt - This has had a long/strange build, and I love it. Bray Wyatt getting to shine at the top of a Mania card is well deserved. They can just wrestle, and I'd be cool with that...or they can get freaky, and I'd love that too. There's so much wrestling on this show - this is a chance to do something really different.

2. Roman Reigns vs the Undertaker - I am 100% Team Roman on this one. It's time for Taker to step aside...nice that he'll get one last big Mania entrance, but then it's time for Roman to squash the old man...

1. HHH vs Rollins - First...the build has been multiple years and great. I'm also overly excited for this because I think they can throw the kitchen sink at it. Samoa Joe? Sure. Finn Balor gives Rollins an assist? Go for it. I can't think of anything I want to see more on this event than Rollins hitting HHH with a curb stomp and standing over his carcass. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

Power ranking the card for Wrestlemania 33 (the low tier, which oddly includes three title matches):

13. Smackdown Women's championship scramble thing - I like most of the competitors, but scrambles are not my thing. 
12. Andre the Giant Battle Royal - aka the Brauuuuuun show
11. Neville vs Austin Aries - I'd put this higher if it were mid-card instead of pre-show. 
10. Enzo/Cass vs Sheamus/Cesaro vs the Club (ladder match) - features my favorite and least favorite tag teams...I can't stand Ezno and Cass, and I love how Sheamus and Cesaro have meshed together. It'll have some fun spots with Cesaro in there for sure.
9. Corbin vs Ambrose - I still like Ambrose, and I think this will be a solid match, but it's a little lacking in drama for me. Fully expect Corbin to win to continue his climb toward the top of the card.

While I would disagree with some of your rankings, i thought I'd piggyback of your list since its already here, and we agree on several things.

13. I really hope there is something planned beyond Naomi here. I mean, did we really get stuck in a 2 month holding pattern for her? Obviously the hope is the anyone is eligible means Asuka shows up and trounces everyone, but if not, I think this may be a good time to put the belt on Natalya. I would say Becky, but these types of multiperson matches tend to favor heels.

12. Braun is a favorite, but I feel like he is nowhere near the lock some think he is. Is Samoa Joe in this? If so, I think he's a better candidate. If not, I think this is Sami Zayn's to win. He's the guy with the brightest future, and the one with an actual story.

11. Sneaky match of the night candidate. I kind of like the idea of Neville winning dirty here, maybe ref doesn't see Aries foot on the rope or something of that ilk.

10. Enzo/Cass were always greatly overrated in NXT, and the haven't improved much since their call up. The Club should 100% take this. Fun Cesaro spot guess: Enzo is pushed off the top of the ladder into an uppercut. 

9. I'd probably have this match in the top-5. I think this is Corbin's big showcase. Think they test him out a bit and go 20 minutes here. I also really hope their is a rebound clothesline into an End of Days. 

1 hour ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

Mid-tier (the drama section):

8. Cena/Nikki vs Miz/Maryse - I like the build up. I like the payoff for Miz's big year. I like the cheesiness that there might be a proposal. This is where the 6 hour long show can breathe a bit and have fun.
7. Nia Jax vs Sasha Banks vs Charlotte Flair vs Bayley - I don't think it'll hold up to last year, but I really like the potential for Charlotte can really shine with this group around her.
6. AJ Styles vs Shane - everyone expects a big spot, and AJ can shine up the rest of the match. If they keep it to 15 minutes instead of 25, it could be a sneaky show stealer.
5. Brock vs Goldberg - I am very interested to see how Brock gets re-established here since Goldberg has dominated him for six months.
4. Owens vs Jericho - KO is going to shine at Mania again. Jericho is a really nice non-Sami Zayn match for him. Get on board, man!

8. This is fair for Cena being in it. Feel like they will at lest try not to bury Miz here. Likely Nikki makes Maryse tap in an STF, or maybe dueling STF's. 

7. Agree its unlikely to be as good as last year, Becky>Nia, but I think it could still surprise. Normally I'd say the best story to tell here is Bayley having it won, and then Sasha knocking her out of the ring or something and stealing the win. Though if Sasha turns heel, does Raw even have another female face? With that in mind, I think Bayley retaining makes the most sense. 

6. I might even say 10 minutes. This is a match where I think its important that Styles wins by submission. Just really rub it in. 

5. If I were writing this match, I'd have Goldberg immediately spear Lesnar, than Jackhammer him, and Brock kick out at 1. That is how I'd re-establish Lesnar. Also, have him win via submission, though I also say that because I miss pre-suplex city, arm-snapper Lesnar.

4. I'd personally have this #2. There is over 6 months of buildup here. Normally, I'm a fan of younger guys getting the big win over the vets, but with the story that has been told here. I think Jericho should win. Idea for a finish: Pop-up powerbomb countered into a Codebreaker. The US belt is kinda below Owens anyway, maybe he could cost Jericho in a title match on Raw, and then beat him back to Fozzy afterwards. 

1 hour ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

Top-tier (the good stuff)

3. Orton vs Wyatt - This has had a long/strange build, and I love it. Bray Wyatt getting to shine at the top of a Mania card is well deserved. They can just wrestle, and I'd be cool with that...or they can get freaky, and I'd love that too. There's so much wrestling on this show - this is a chance to do something really different.

2. Roman Reigns vs the Undertaker - I am 100% Team Roman on this one. It's time for Taker to step aside...nice that he'll get one last big Mania entrance, but then it's time for Roman to squash the old man...

1. HHH vs Rollins - First...the build has been multiple years and great. I'm also overly excited for this because I think they can throw the kitchen sink at it. Samoa Joe? Sure. Finn Balor gives Rollins an assist? Go for it. I can't think of anything I want to see more on this event than Rollins hitting HHH with a curb stomp and standing over his carcass. 

3. I think this could be good, though I still have zero idea how Orton is the face here. I think this match will be like the Ambrose/Corbin match, in that its a showcase for Wyatt to go 20 against a more established star. If we really are finally going to go somewhere with Wyatt, this needs to be a decisive win, nobody on this card needs to win more than Wyatt does. Cool spot idea: Orton is getting destroyed but hits an RKO(out of nowhere!) but it took everything he had, and he can't make a cover for a couple seconds when he finally starts to crawl over, Wyatt does that weird bridge up thing and smiles...BOOM! One Sister Abigail later, and Wyatt retains.

2. I know you are a big Reigns fan, but I'd have this match probably at 6 or so at the highest. This is basically a filler match. There is nothing on the line, and it really doesn't matter who wins at all. If the streak was still going sure, but that ended 3 Mania's ago. I think the best way to go here is Undertaker wins similarly to how he beat Lesnar, low blow and Hell's Gate. Reigns passes out, and when he comes to, he beats the hell out of everyone. Undertaker, refs, security, maybe even send Kane out there to take a Spear or whatever. Something big needs to happen here, and Reigns freaking out after a shady loss is the best thing I can think of, especially with how many shady losses he's had in the last year or so. Have it all come to a head against somebody he respects. The worst thing that can happen is Reigns just winning clean in a decent but instantly forgettable match.

1. 100% agree this is BY FAR the most important match of the night, honestly it should probably main event. This or Wyatt-Orton. I would hate to see Joe or Balor show up here, hopefully Joe will already be in the battle royal. This should go 20+, and absolutely end on a curb stomp. Possibly a Phoenix too. This should feel like nothing else. HHH should bust out a piledriver, or maybe a Tombstone, anything. This should be at an Okada/Omega level of escalation. This feud is the culmination of at least 3, and possibly 5 years of storytelling. This is the match that should make Seth freakin' Rollins the #1 face of WWE. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Keith R said:

Bray is WWE World (lineal) champ.  Orton was a Wyatt until a few weeks ago when he burned the remains of Sister Abigail (which of course turned him face).

Wait, it turned who face? I honestly can't tell who is which role with the WWE crowd indifference these days. The loudest pop I heard all week was when Styles briefly mentioned Stone Cold last night.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My top two matches are the final evolution of the Shield...Roman and Rollins putting the old men out to pasture. 

I'd book Reigns mega-strong coming off his promo a Monday (yeah, yeah, lol Roman strong). I'm looking for Reigns to throw everything at Taker, who keeps kicking out...to the point the crowd just wants him to stay down. Look, Taker is a proud warrior and one of my all-time favorites, but the guy is in his 50s and hasn't looked good at all in this run. The locker room can acknowledge him after Roman takes his leave...

I believe Rollins is legitimately injured, so I think he'll be mostly grounded against HHH. Therefore, I have no problem with this being more like HHH-Sting than HHH-HBK, as long as Rollins curb stomps that MFer are the end and stands over him. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A Shield reunion would do wonders for everyone involved. Dean is floundering around Smackdown, and could use some direction. People would adore Roman again as the muscle behind Seth and Dean.

If anything, it would get Dean out of the jeans and wife beaters.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice writeup JB and Dogg.  I agree that HHH vs Rollins the match I most look forward too and I'm jonesing to see that curb stomp, too.  Maybe HHH kicks out of the pedigree and then falls to the curb stomp. 

I'd probably put my top 5 like this:

1.  HHH vs Rollins

2.  Reigns vs Taker:  If they were to ever turn Reigns full heel, this is the time to do it.  Beat him and then crap all over UT's legacy. 

3.  Styles vs Shane.  Styles vs anybody is good for me.

4 . Cena vs Miz.  Wish they had left the women out of this, but it's been a nicely built feud where fans can choose who's the heel. 

5. Brock vs Goldberg. Not looking for a 5 star classic here, but really looking forward to seeing Goldberg go down.

 

I want to be more into Wyatt than I am.  I recognize the brilliance and enjoy his promos, but he doesn't do it for me for some reason.  I've enjoyed the story, though. Corbin is the same way for me.  I want to care, but I don't. 

Kind of looking forward to the jobber Royal.  I always enjoy those.  My pick to win out of left field is Mark Henry.  Kind of a lifetime achievement recognition ala Big Show a few years back.  But I'm rooting for Zayn. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I hope they don't get too cute with HHH and Rollins by adding in a lot of shield or Samoa Joe or whatever.  Straight up grudge match just between the 2 of them works fine for me. 

Does Joe have a role in Mania?  Have to think he's absolutely getting involved in either this match or in Owens-Jericho

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's not going to be Braun or Sami, my leftfield pick is Apollo Crews. They used that moment for Baron, I think this might be WWE's way for young studs to get a chance to shine and establish a small push to see if it goes anywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been watching old Mania matches with the kids to get ready for Sunday. I let them pick pretty much whatever they want.

First request: "the Rey Mysterio match in the Mania after he won the Royal Rumble" - turned out to be a triple threat of Angle vs Orton vs Mysterio. They worked it really fast, which was a fun way to see a triple threat. Very little one on one stuff with a third milling around outside. It was in the middle of the card since this was a split title era. My oldest really likes the undersized guys, so he enjoyed seeing Rey win the belt.

Second request: "the Shawn Michaels match in the Mania after he won the Royal Rumble when only one foot hit the floor" - this ended up being the ironman match against Bret Hart. I skipped about 20 minutes of it to shorten it up. Better paced than I remember it. There is a brutal superkick on the outside of the ring to an official that I didn't see coming at all. 

Third request: "something with the Rock n Roll Express" - I had to laugh about this one. I thought my 8 year old meant the Rockers since we just watched Shawn Michaels, and I gave them some background on him. No...he meant the Express because they are going into the hall of fame. Since they never appeared at Mania we went to Hogan vs Warrior at WMVI instead. Man, those old crowds were into the shows. There's really no high spots in the match - just two incredibly over guys running into each other and resting for 20+ minutes, but the crowd went crazy the whole time. 

On the list if we have time: HBK vs Razor Ramon (ladder match), Taker vs Shawn Michaels II, Rock vs Hogan, Rock vs Cena (I've never seen either of these before)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hagmania said:

If it's not going to be Braun or Sami, my leftfield pick is Apollo Crews. They used that moment for Baron, I think this might be WWE's way for young studs to get a chance to shine and establish a small push to see if it goes anywhere.

:sleep:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, JB Breakfast Club said:

Third request: "something with the Rock n Roll Express" - I had to laugh about this one. I thought my 8 year old meant the Rockers since we just watched Shawn Michaels, and I gave them some background on him. No...he meant the Express because they are going into the hall of fame. Since they never appeared at Mania we went to Hogan vs Warrior at WMVI instead. Man, those old crowds were into the shows. There's really no high spots in the match - just two incredibly over guys running into each other and resting for 20+ minutes, but the crowd went crazy the whole time. 

Your kids have been listening to too much Jim Cornette on youtube.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a few Rock and Roll things on the Network now, under the Hall of Fame watchlist. The match against the Russians and the scaffold match with the Midnight Express.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My top-10 Wrestlemania matches of all-time:

1. Wrestlemania 10-Razor/HBK Ladder Match

2. Wrestlemania 13-Bret/Austin Submission Match

3. Wrestlemania 10-Bret/Owen

4. Wrestlemania 26-HBK/Taker

5. Wrestlemania 20-HHH/HBK/Benoit

6. Wrestlemania 21-HBK/Angle

7. Wrestlemania 25-HBK/Taker

8. Wrestlemania 28-Taker/HHH Hell in a Cell

9. Wrestlemania 3-Savage/Steamboat

10. Wrestlemania 21-Benoit/Jericho/Edge/Christian/Kane/Shelton Money in the Bank

Edited by travdogg
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2017 at 11:54 AM, Bogart said:

Started late to the party, but I can highly recommend the podcast "Something To Wrestle With Bruce Prichard". Lots of great stories from Bruce and a real deep dive on specific subjects or even a single PPV. And while I wasn't crazy about Conrad Thompson on the Ric Flair podcast, he really does a great job asking the questions and pushing Bruce to reveal some secrets.

I have binge listened to the first 10 episodes and they fly by, even though they are pushing 2 hours sometimes.

Finally caught up with this podcast. Still highly recommend it. Looks like his stint on Impact Wrestling isn't going to change things. Bruce calls everyone who buys a shirt, I'm going to buy one just so I can ask him about Gino Hernandez.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travdogg said:

I like Angle, but if you are saying top-5 of all-time I'd 100% disagree with that, even in just WWE. I'd give him top-5 of TNA though. 

Disagree. To each his own.

Edited by Tony Jabroni
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

Wow. I'm very surprised he'd be in any mood to want to do that. I know in his shoes, I certainly wouldn't be able to. Then again, some people deal best with grief by throwing themselves into work, so assuming that is the case, good for him, WWE and us as fans.

Edited by travdogg
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, travdogg said:

Wow. I'm very surprised he'd be in any mood to want to do that. I know in his shoes, I certainly wouldn't be able to. Then again, some people deal best with grief by throwing themselves into work, so assuming that is the case, good for him, WWE and us as fans.

I'd be suspicious of this considering what day it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...