What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (4 Viewers)

DraftKings doing a Wrestlemania Challenge where you can pick the winners for cash prizes. Isn't it going to be easy enough to find spoilers if you wanted to? Fake spoilers? Profit?

I just re-watched the main event from SummerSlam '88.  Miss Elizabeth :wub:  ripping her skirt off was just as great as I remembered it.
Been watching a ton of retro stuff, early/mid-90s. I'm still one of the last paying subscribers, but the massive catalogue of all the actual good WRESTLING from the old days is one reason I'll never be able to cut myself off from WWE, even as much as I hate them nowadays.

Been watching a ton of retro stuff, early/mid-90s. I'm still one of the last paying subscribers, but the massive catalogue of all the actual good WRESTLING from the old days is one reason I'll never be able to cut myself off from WWE, even as much as I hate them nowadays.
Why I think WWE eventually WILL sell rights to current ppvs. So many will sub just for library. 

If they can get idiots to pay through the roof for their current garbage (fox/USA/Saudis), good for them. 

I've been binging on 1997 raws/ppv. So many stars they were building up and continuous storylines week to week for every single performer. What a concept. Heel 97 Bret was by far my favorite version of him

‘97 Bret is easily the best Bret, and it’s not particularly close. 

Other than that year Bret really didn’t do a lot for me. I acknowledge he’s always been great about putting on realistic looking matches, but:

- In the earlier 90s his mic work sucked and he looked like he was wearing a ring jacket from a cabaret portrayal of Napoleon’s life.

- In WCW he was completely lost.

- And post retirement all he does is whine and complain on shoot videos.
WCW misused him. That was on them, not him.  And to be fair, it was a cluster the last few years of its existence.

Is he a little bitter now?  Yeah, but you would be to after a) Vince totally screwed him on his way out the WWF door, and b) his career was then basically ended by a careless worker (Goldberg) kicking him in the head. 

Bret never had the charisma of a Hogan, Rock or Austin, but no one had better matches over the long haul than him, IMO (except maybe Flair in the 80's).  That alone puts him very high on the list of all-timers, if you ask me.

Last edited by a moderator:
WCW misused him. That was on them, not him.  And to be fair, it was a cluster the last few years of its existence.

Is he a little bitter now?  Yeah, but you would be to after a) Vince totally screwed him on his way out the WWF door, and b) his career was then basically ended by a careless worker (Goldberg) kicking him in the head. 

Bret never had the charisma of a Hogan, Rock or Austin, but no one had better matches over the long haul than him, IMO (except maybe Flair in the 80's).  That alone puts him very high on the list of all-timers, if you ask me.
Agree with this. WCW fumbled at the 1 yard line. You had Bret immediately post Survivor Series and threw him into that disaster that was the Sting/Hogan match (after an incredible build - the culmination was so lackluster).

Bret v. Perfect, Bret v. Owen... these matches have insane rewatchability.

He was a perfect wrestler for his time (early to mid 90s) --- didn't have the charisma for full blown attitude era.

Mark Henry said this year's Mania could grab as many as 200 million views  :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:
I think viewership could be up--most people are stuck indoors. They will be watching in smaller groups (not watch parties like a lot do) so that results in larger individual numbers. People need a distraction and this fits the bill. I think think equals bigger numbers (maybe not 200 million though) 

I will say this about the Network, started it on Live about an hour before Mania and caught the five mins after a show where it promotes what's on the Network, and it makes you want to get the Network no doubt. WWE does promotion and sound bites better than anyone.

I haven't watched much of the empty arena shows the last few weeks. The Gulak/Cesaro match just shows how badly you need crowd interaction. This is going to be a tough watch. WWE is going to need all of their bells and whistles for this one.

Alexa Bliss is so good at everything in wrestling.... and I'm going to guess life as well.

My 11-yo daughter just said that boys in her 5th grade class all talk about Bliss. I'm sure they do.

You can at least really hear all of the theme songs really well.

And props to the wrestlers for not getting caught calling moves in the ring, at least none that I can tell.

Wow this is pretty bad. "This" being AJ and Taker. 
The style inspired by Broken Matt Hardy's Final Deletion match.  Some people love this style of filming a match.  I am not one of those people.

Captain's ladder match was surprisingly good though

Literally nothing else on and couldn't sit through all the camera cuts. It's just unwatchable.

Read the results. So they completely buried the one and only hot act (Fiend) in their company to have Braun (or Roman) go over Goldberg in a couple minutes? Just amazing to me they couldn't have just thought "Let's have Goldberg go over Bray Wyatt and not the Fiend"

Literally nothing else on and couldn't sit through all the camera cuts. It's just unwatchable.

Read the results. So they completely buried the one and only hot act (Fiend) in their company to have Braun (or Roman) go over Goldberg in a couple minutes? Just amazing to me they couldn't have just thought "Let's have Goldberg go over Bray Wyatt and not the Fiend"
I got past the over-production after a few drinks...loved the ladder match, Zayn vs Bryan, and KO vs Rollins..totally didn't care about the lack of crowd for those. 

I'm sure there will be a million hot takes and think pieces about the main event. Here's mine: it F"ing ruled. I wish they'd done a single camera instead of all the cuts...but I loved it for what it was. 

That boneyard match was absolutely horrible. The overproduction, it was essentially just a short film. Pretty much Kevin Dunn got to live out his wet dream with that one. You shoot that way for a vignette, not a match.

The Goldberg/Braun....about what you'd expect from a Goldberg match these days, but hope they keep the strap on Braun for a good while (they won't). It's about 4 years too late for his career anyway.

Also I haven't watched current WWE for a few months.....can someone explain to me why they have Sami Zayn running around looking like Fidel Castro? Is this a gimmick? Wtf

I got past the over-production after a few drinks...loved the ladder match, Zayn vs Bryan, and KO vs Rollins..totally didn't care about the lack of crowd for those. 

I'm sure there will be a million hot takes and think pieces about the main event. Here's mine: it F"ing ruled. I wish they'd done a single camera instead of all the cuts...but I loved it for what it was. 
Might go back and watch taker-styles as only thing that sounds interesting. I turned it off after Corbin-Elias.  

I can't believe someone in WWE can't stand up and say "stop with the camera cuts every 2 seconds!". But understand very few in the company prob give a shlt at this point.....or even watch it :lol:

Might go back and watch taker-styles as only thing that sounds interesting. I turned it off after Corbin-Elias.  

I can't believe someone in WWE can't stand up and say "stop with the camera cuts every 2 seconds!". But understand very few in the company prob give a shlt at this point.....or even watch it :lol:
Also, Dunn is probably the highest ranking person in that company not named McMahon/Levesque. Nobody's gonna dare speak up.

Craig_MiamiFL said:
I'm not tuned into like I once was but Taker-Styles was the best stuff I've seen from a WWE match in a several years. THAT kind of stuff will draw NEW viewers. Shame they couldn't agree to new deal with Matt Hardy as is pretty obvious that Jeremy Borash (big role in Hardy Compound stuff) had a hand in that Taker-Styles match.

Obviously don't think you can do that type of match with just anyone. But also stresses the need to build characters. Outside of something involving the Fiend, I can't see any current regular performer they could do this with.

I'd MUCH rather have great taped stuff like that than live wrestling match after wrestling match. I also think you can protect older guys with takes/taped content.

Craig_MiamiFL said:

The camera shakes are equally bad.

I'm not tuned into like I once was but Taker-Styles was the best stuff I've seen from a WWE match in a several years. THAT kind of stuff will draw NEW viewers. Shame they couldn't agree to new deal with Matt Hardy as is pretty obvious that Jeremy Borash (big role in Hardy Compound stuff) had a hand in that Taker-Styles match.

Obviously don't think you can do that type of match with just anyone. But also stresses the need to build characters. Outside of something involving the Fiend, I can't see any current regular performer they could do this with.

I'd MUCH rather have great taped stuff like that than live wrestling match after wrestling match. I also think you can protect older guys with takes/taped content.
YMMV with that Final Deletion style.  I don't care for it but a lot of reviewers loved that Taker-AJ match, including many who are very critical of 2020 WWE

I dunno, I thought the Taker AJ match was fun.  Completely full of the type of cringe that makes wrestling awesome.  I like that given the situation they just said F it and took a chance doing something off the wall.  I guarantee that end result was better than anything they would have done in the ring.  Taker just can't do that #### anymore.  

I dunno, I thought the Taker AJ match was fun.  Completely full of the type of cringe that makes wrestling awesome.  I like that given the situation they just said F it and took a chance doing something off the wall.  I guarantee that end result was better than anything they would have done in the ring.  Taker just can't do that #### anymore.  
JMO Best Taker match since at least the HBK matches.

This taped stuff they could bring back about anyone, edit it and make it look presentable in that type setting. Nothing against Goldberg but FFS please stop going to this well in the ring and trying to present him as Bill Goldberg circa 1998.

The only match tonight that could possibly touch Taker-AJ IMO will be Fiend-Cena (if they present it in a similar fashion). Presenting it in gimmick matches out of ring setting makes you forget about no crowd.

Craig_MiamiFL said:
The fans actually booed Goldberg after he beat the Fiend for the belt. My guess is that he gets the heat from that match and it makes it so the Universe would actually cheer putting the belt on Reigns.

Braun got lucky that Reigns dropped out because I don’t think Goldberg was up for a long run and wanted to drop the belt at Mania. Now the question is do they let Braun keep it after Reigns feels safe coming back or do they make him turn heel to pass it off to Roman?

Users who are viewing this thread