What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (5 Viewers)

Cena v Wyatt was one of the best things I've seen at WM.  Pretty cool that Cena bought in so completely to the story.  :thumbup:

Not sure how a wrestling fan wouldn't like it.

edit:  My bad.  I posted and then remembered HHH is the golden shovel.  :bag:   :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched FFH and Boneyard. Thought both were great.

Didn't watch the match but unfortunate Drew won the title in an empty arena.

I saw some reaction to Orton trying to strangle Edge with gym equipment.  A lot of people thought it was in bad taste given the Dark Side of the Ring doc on Benoit.

In the words of Conrad Thompson, what say you?  (I didn't watch; I was watching the last episode of NXT UK.)

I saw some reaction to Orton trying to strangle Edge with gym equipment.  A lot of people thought it was in bad taste given the Dark Side of the Ring doc on Benoit.

In the words of Conrad Thompson, what say you?  (I didn't watch; I was watching the last episode of NXT UK.)
I can see why people would think it is in bad taste, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to get mad about it. We are watching guys and gals fake fight, give each other fake injuries and fake ending careers (for a week, looking at you Elias). I think Edge and Orton looked at their limited surroundings and did the best with it. Some of the most creative spots were with the exercise equipment.  

Edge/Orton, Owens Leap, Boneyard and FFH were the highlights of WrestleMania, especially FFH. Loved the idea and both guys completely selling into it, especially Cena.

It's crazy that both World Titles changed hands in less than 7 minutes of in-ring action. Feel bad especially for Drew that this enormous moment is in an empty room with a ring in it. I'm not sure how much product I will watch without fans.

That said, the Edge 24 documentary is some of the best TV you can watch right now.

Maybe wrestling has passed me by. I'm shocked so many of you enjoyed the Taker-AJ match and the FFH "match". I found them absolutely terrible.

Edge / Orton, Owens / Seth were the highlights to me. 

And I agree with Bogart, could not shut off the Edge 24 documentary. Fantastic. I already liked him prior to watching it. Guy seems like such a cool, down to earth guy.

Is it crazy to think that the World and Universal Title matches were the two worst of the weekend?
I wouldn't say short equals worst, but yeah. You have two guys in Goldberg and Lesnar that wanted to check the box and go home. Goldberg can't put on a complete match (did he ever?) and I would imagine Lesnar thinks all this empty arena stuff is complete BS and just wanted to get back to the ranch. Brock/Drew in front of a sold out arena would have felt completely different. I think.

Maybe wrestling has passed me by. I'm shocked so many of you enjoyed the Taker-AJ match and the FFH "match". I found them absolutely terrible.

Edge / Orton, Owens / Seth were the highlights to me. 

And I agree with Bogart, could not shut off the Edge 24 documentary. Fantastic. I already liked him prior to watching it. Guy seems like such a cool, down to earth guy.
I think I enjoyed the Boneyard and FFH "matches" because I had low expectations and didn't expect wrestling matches. They were entertainment for entertainment purposes. Nothing inside the WWE Universe (ie Titles, rivalries, storylines) were affected, Cena and Taker will go away for a while. AJ might get a break and Bray hopefully starts something with new purpose soon. I would watch a 60 min doc on how the FFH thought process happened and how it was executed. 

I can see why people would think it is in bad taste, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to get mad about it. We are watching guys and gals fake fight, give each other fake injuries and fake ending careers (for a week, looking at you Elias). I think Edge and Orton looked at their limited surroundings and did the best with it. Some of the most creative spots were with the exercise equipment.  
I didn't see it so I can't give an opinion.  Bryan Alvarez was the one I saw who flipped his lid about it and others chimed in.  I will take your word for it that it was probably a nothingburger.

I didn't see it so I can't give an opinion.  Bryan Alvarez was the one I saw who flipped his lid about it and others chimed in.  I will take your word for it that it was probably a nothingburger.
Yeah, just a passing spot.  20/20 hindsight, maybe it should have been edited out but it didn't register for me at all in the moment.

What I'm afraid of is, knowing how clueless and in the moment WWE lives these days, they'll take all this positive feedback from Boneyard and FFH matches and start altering their entire programming based around elements of this crap. It's already on life support (in WWE), but if that's the case it'll truly be the end of wrestling as we know it.

What I'm afraid of is, knowing how clueless and in the moment WWE lives these days, they'll take all this positive feedback from Boneyard and FFH matches and start altering their entire programming based around elements of this crap. It's already on life support (in WWE), but if that's the case it'll truly be the end of wrestling as we know it.
Totally agree.  Given the circumstances of the day, I totally understand going in  this direction to break up the string of empty arena matches.  When arenas are no longer empty, my patience for this style will be minimal.  And this is coming from someone who was enthralled by the FFH, albeit underwhelmed by the Boneyard match.

Totally agree.  Given the circumstances of the day, I totally understand going in  this direction to break up the string of empty arena matches.  When arenas are no longer empty, my patience for this style will be minimal.  And this is coming from someone who was enthralled by the FFH, albeit underwhelmed by the Boneyard match.
Items like this are like anything else novel; there's a sharp application of the law of diminishing returns.  If this started showing up after the fans came back, there would be a sharp reaction.

ShamrockPride said:
It wont it because 1) They're lazy; 2) Taker-AJ took a reported 8 hours of filming.....and their cold, storylines less garbage on Raw/Smackdown takes ZERO prep; 3) They don't have any characters to pull it off regularly; 4) If they had any intention of making it a regular going forward, they'd have resigned Matt Hardy; 5) Taker-AJ IMO was a one off slap at Matt Hardy.....which backfired because it was far and away the best thing on that show IMO.

JMO If they ever do something like Taker-AJ again, there's only a handful of guys you can do something like that with --- Fiend/Taker....Mankind/Cactus Jack. I might be missing some from yesteryear but point being they don't have guys on the current roster to do it with.

They're not suddenly going to start putting effort into their weekly TV when the money's in the bank. I give them credit for doing something different here. Thought it was the best stuff they've done in many many years. But we have years and years of proof of a wholly oversaturated stale product that they're not going to change from their in-ring storyline-less cold match format.

So now their current fans can now go back to watching the same matches 756 times on Raw/Smackdown without any rhyme or reason that these guys are facing one another week after week after week.

So now their current fans can now go back to watching the same matches 756 times on Raw/Smackdown without any rhyme or reason that these guys are facing one another week after week after week.
Irony that you posted this, because the Street Profits/EST of NXT vs. Salina Vega and two other guys got THREE matches all in a row.  I mean, that's like three weeks of matches they burned through in 30 minutes. /s

OTOH, I thought Liv Morgan has vastly improved from her last appearance on RAW.  A better look and crisper move set. 

ShamrockPride said:
*SIGH* This is what I was afraid of. WWE is gonna see this...

https://www.theringer.com/2020/4/7/21211909/wwe-wrestlemania-firefly-fun-house-boneyard-future-wrestling

Tonight's Dark Side of Ring features the Brawl for All. 

Should be a good episode where everyone piles on Vince Russo. :lol:  As much as I like what he did as a writer,  guy is a lunatic on social media :crazy:  

Question for a way back former fan who follows on the very periphery. Is NXT basically now considered a brand equal in stature to Smackdown and Raw as opposed to more developmental? I saw Charlotte Flair won the title but thought she was a Raw main event pull for years so I was confused. 

Lastly, I've spent the better part of wrestling on Brian Zane's Classic PPV reviews on youtube. If you are a wrestling fan you absolutely have to check out his channel. It's the best wrestling recap wrestling channel (including weekly RAW, Smackdown, NXT, etc). Complete with highlights and ratings of each segment. The classic PPV part of the playlist is done so well. 

Brian Zane on youtube. Classic PPV reviews is where I'd start. I might be late to the party, but as a guy who doesn't even watch wrestling anymore, I still find it some of the best content on youtube.  

Also why are there so many ####### belts?

Oh another thing I noticed. We're just going with wrestler's names these days. Is there anyone left of the ilk of "Doink" or Duke The Dumpster. Or is it just names now?

Also why are there so many ####### belts?

Oh another thing I noticed. We're just going with wrestler's names these days. Is there anyone left of the ilk of "Doink" or Duke The Dumpster. Or is it just names now?
In WWE it's just names. Really boring. But then they give everybody a stupid, gimmicky nickname they push hardcore each week from the time they step foot on the main roster. 

I just learned Drew MacIntyre's nickname is "The Scottish Psychopath." I can't even tell you how cringey and forced that is.

Seth Rollins is The Monday Night Messiah 🙄

I was watching the 92 Rumble the other day. How much did guys with terrible gimmicks like the repo man and Irwin Scheister make back then? Couldn’t have been much. 

In WWE it's just names. Really boring. But then they give everybody a stupid, gimmicky nickname they push hardcore each week from the time they step foot on the main roster. 

I just learned Drew MacIntyre's nickname is "The Scottish Psychopath." I can't even tell you how cringey and forced that is.

Seth Rollins is The Monday Night Messiah 🙄
There’s the Fiend

I was watching the 92 Rumble the other day. How much did guys with terrible gimmicks like the repo man and Irwin Scheister make back then? Couldn’t have been much. 
I think Repo Man was played by one of the members of Demolition - so all in all he did well in his career, but yeah. 

Also Irwin R Scheister was a huge draw for a lot of years, as tag team partners in Money Inc and Intercontinentel title feuds with some big names - I think he did ok for himself.

Also Irwin R Scheister was a huge draw for a lot of years, as tag team partners in Money Inc and Intercontinentel title feuds with some big names - I think he did ok for himself.
1/2 of Money Inc. with Ted DiBiase - the team that took down Hawk and Animal for the tag belts.

Plus, he fathered The Fiend

1/2 of Money Inc. with Ted DiBiase - the team that took down Hawk and Animal for the tag belts.

Plus, he fathered The Fiend
Yeah IRS was definitely well taken care of I'd say and had a legacy in the business (his father was a wrestler too I believe). His gimmick might have been a little ####ty but he pulled it off very well, thats why it stuck around for years. 

Yeah IRS was definitely well taken care of I'd say and had a legacy in the business (his father was a wrestler too I believe). His gimmick might have been a little ####ty but he pulled it off very well, that's why it stuck around for years. 
Black Jack Mulligan is his father-in-law -- he married Barry Windham's sister.

Black Jack Mulligan is his father-in-law -- he married Barry Windham's sister.
yeah I knew he had a pretty good lineage. and IRS wasnt even that bad compared to the other shtick at the time in WWE. He seems like a kind of guy that everyone shoots on and talks about how they respected him. 

Really dumb question here..... I know these matches are predetermined, but when I see the wrestlers backstage after a WM win crying and being congratulated, I wonder is that still acting? Do only the losers know they're going to lose? :bag:

:itsstillrealtomedamnit:

IMAX 3D said:
I think Repo Man was played by one of the members of Demolition - so all in all he did well in his career, but yeah. 

Never heard of these guys before yesterday. Still curious what the pay was like back then for the mid-card guys. Vince just seems like he’d screw people. 

Really dumb question here..... I know these matches are predetermined, but when I see the wrestlers backstage after a WM win crying and being congratulated, I wonder is that still acting? Do only the losers know they're going to lose? :bag:

:itsstillrealtomedamnit:
In the end, it's all about the performance.  A lot of guys don't care about winning while a lot do.  Most all care about entertaining the fans.  A good number of them are more interested in if they can get the boys in the back to mark out over their performance.

There was one time I'm aware of (courtesy of JR) that Eddie Guerrero was bummed he wasn't headlining WM.  JR told him to go out there and do your best and give us a reason to put you up there.  He and whomever he was wrestling basically tore the house down.  He came back to the back and told everyone else to the effect of "top THAT".

Users who are viewing this thread