What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (13 Viewers)

Don't get me wrong; I'm not a JC hater.  As far as wrestling history goes, he's top notch and has the notes to prove it.

He's also dead right about Gage.  Dude is not a wrestler; he's a glorified human cork fighter.  "Federations" like the one he "wrestles" at are basically fight clubs.  If you have to have your cards in somebody's field so that you don't get raided by the cops (like the one where was "pronounced dead eight time" :rolleyes:  ), it's not - I repeat - NOT wrestling.
Sounds a lot like MMA/UFC back in the day but no one seemed to complain about it 🤷‍♂️

MJF sounds like a young Jericho on commentary. it's so funny. It reminds me of playing WWE and having JBL wrestle and hear him commentate the match at the same time 

As always take with a grain of salt 

All Things Wrestling

56m  · 

According to our reliable source, Ric Flair is on his way to AEW and could debut as early as tonight.

As far as we understand Flair isn't under any no compete clause and is understood to have an agreement already in place with AEW.

We are being told that Flair will be brought in very soon, possibly tonight or the next few weeks in a manager role, similar to Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson. There is no further information on who he will manage but we have speculated the following.

Flair could end up managing his son in law Andrade El Idolo alongside Chavo Guerrero, setting up some form of dynasty. Who knows Charlotte Flair could join them eventually, with it being rumoured she's extremely unhappy with her booking in the WWE.

Flair could be a part of The Inner Circle in opposition to Tully Blanchard being in The Pinnacle, or he could be a part of The Pinnacle with Tully himself.

There would have to be a Four Horsemen connection involved at some point.

Flair was pictured with Jim Ross on the 27th July in Jacksonville, only a few weeks ago and it could have been likely he was discussing his options then with JR.

We were not told if this was a full time thing or just for a short while, however if this is accurate, expect to hear more woooo's from the live AEW crowd on more of a regular basis!

This one is more plausible though

All Things Wrestling

11h  · 

WWE Reportedly Preparing For ThunderDome Return Amid SummerSlam 2021 Cancellation Concerns

WWE are reportedly preparing for a return to either the Performance Center or a ThunderDome-style arena in the coming weeks, and are very concerned that SummerSlam 2021 at the Allegiant Arena could be cancelled amid rising COVID-19 cases.

WWE is preparing to present SummerSlam 2021 from the Allegiant Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on Saturday 21 August but the state - much like the entirety of the USA - is experiencing a concerningly high increase in the levels of coronavirus cases.

It has been reported previously that both WWE and AEW have been working on contingency plans in case their touring schedules, which only restarted last month, are interuppted once again because of COVID-19.

Cassidy Haynes of Bodyslam.net - who last month reported the news that Daniel Bryan has signed with AEW - now reports that there is an internal expectation within WWE that the promotion will need to either return to the Performance Center in Orlando, Florida, or set up another ThunderDome, within the next couple of weeks.

Furthermore, there is a huge worry within the company that SummerSlam 2021 at the Allegiant Arena can or will be cancelled. WWE had been hoping to have 40,000 fans in attendance for the biggest party of the summer in Nevada.

The feeling within the company, per the report, is that WWE will not be on the road touring in four weeks' time. WWE are operating on the belief that, while another round of lockdowns are not expected, a ban on mass gatherings across the United States could come down in the next few weeks in an effort to control the spread of COVID-19.

Adam Cole has reportedly turned down a number of new contract offers from WWE amid speculation that his current deal is set to expire this month.

-PWUnlimited

New rules in NYC could have effect on WWE and AEW shows coming up and ticket sales 

Heads up to anyone attending wrestling shows in NYC including AEW Grand Slam. New York has issued a new law.

Anyone who wants to dine, drink, exercise or enjoy a live performance indoors in New York City will have to show proof of coronavirus vaccination or be denied entry.

Might have to Get vax'd or sell that ticket to someone who can use it.

Dave on Wyatt

“He had been out for medical reasons and he had just gotten cleared. Then when he got cleared they evaluated the situation and he was told that due to budgetary reasons that he’s being cut. The basic gist is that he’s another high contract guy, whether it’s because it’s concerns over the medical reasons is the real reason or they could not come up with an idea to justify his salary, I don’t know which of that it is, but that’s the basic deal with him.”

-Dave Meltzer

Saw this on twitter:

The possible GOAT wrestling story:

Bill Dundee's daughter confessed she was dating one of the other wrestlers. He starts yelling/screaming that he'll kill the guy & asks who is is. 

"Bobby Eaton," she says.

*silence*

"Well," Bill responds, "You picked the right one."

RIP.

I'm sure Jim will have quite a touching tribute coming up. Always heard stories of him being a super nice guy, down to earth, no ego.

ETA 62 is way too young.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rip beautiful Bobby

Crazy I was searching and watching some of his singles matches on YT last week.

Anytime I hear someone say _________ is the best worker I think of Beautiful Bobby. IMO the best working punch of all time.

Saw this on twitter:

The possible GOAT wrestling story:

Bill Dundee's daughter confessed she was dating one of the other wrestlers. He starts yelling/screaming that he'll kill the guy & asks who is is. 

"Bobby Eaton," she says.

*silence*

"Well," Bill responds, "You picked the right one."

RIP.

Came in here to post this very thing.

Like everyone else, this one hurts a lot. Flair vs. Kerry made me fall in love with a single match, but The Midnight Express vs. The Fantastics and The Midnight Express vs. The Rock and Roll Express made me fall in love with well told feuds. Eaton was the ring general at all times in those matches. And his top rope leg drop was as high as I have ever seen a man jump in person.

Came in here to post this very thing.

Like everyone else, this one hurts a lot. Flair vs. Kerry made me fall in love with a single match, but The Midnight Express vs. The Fantastics and The Midnight Express vs. The Rock and Roll Express made me fall in love with well told feuds. Eaton was the ring general at all times in those matches. And his top rope leg drop was as high as I have ever seen a man jump in person.
Midnights vs. Fantastics or RNRE were must watch wrestling for anyone who loves the business.  Heck, I'd submit that today's tag teams - Will the Young Bucks please call your office - be required to watch Midnight matches as they may just learn something other than flips and acrobatic spots.

Bobby was a good technical wrestler in his own right.  Regardless if it was with Dennis Condrey or Sweet Stan Lane, that team was awesome to watch.

RIP Bobby.  :sadbanana:

About Eaton, I always found it interesting that one of the nicest guys in the business (he paid for everything for the guys around him and even carried an extra suitcase of toiletries and sundries that guys might have forgotten) played such a good heel.

About Eaton, I always found it interesting that one of the nicest guys in the business (he paid for everything for the guys around him and even carried an extra suitcase of toiletries and sundries that guys might have forgotten) played such a good heel.
Jim Ross always says on his podcast that the heels on TV are usually the nicest guys behind the scenes. I think I remember him mentioning Bobby by name in regards to that.

Lol no he's not dude. Not bitter that is. If he really is banned that is all good for him 
Cornette is just an angry old white guy Get off my lawn type. He's got no issues being misogynistic or pat Patterson playing with ring boys or the racism from the industry back in the day or his racial undertone commentary on NWA, but the Young Bucks on his TV all be dammed. 

I get it certain things some fans don't like which is why I like AEW they at least try and give a variety and try different things and don't care if it works or not. But Cornette is probably one of the biggest hypocrites in this Industry that doesn't work for WWE right now. With the controversy he's caused over the last 5 yrs I'm shocked he hasn't been canceled yet. 

Jim Ross always says on his podcast that the heels on TV are usually the nicest guys behind the scenes. I think I remember him mentioning Bobby by name in regards to that.

Most are. Raven played a heel for a lot of his ECW days. One of the nicest guys I ever met. 

I can say the same about a lot of guys from the old Philly ROH and CZW days and ECW. Taz was always super nice and back then Devon and Bubba were always super nice greeting fans outside the arena after the shows, showing up early to thank those who were the early birds etc. 

The purge continues. 12 NXT  wrestlers gone. 

* Bobby Fish

* Bronson Reed

* Mercedes Martinez

* Jake Atlas

* Ari Sterling

* Kona Reeves

* Leon Ruff

* Stephon Smith

* Tyler Rust

* Zechariah Smith

* Asher Hale

* Giant Zanjeer

The first three are pretty shocking. The rest, meh....

Ok, Bray's release had me starting to believe, and now the purges yesterday (with more to come yet according to reporter Andrew Zarian) have me more convinced than ever:

Vince McMahon is actually going to sell. Astonishing.

* Bobby Fish

* Bronson Reed

* Mercedes Martinez

Most of those I saw and said, "Who?"  Only Fish and Martinez really surprised me.  The rest to me are just placeholders and wannabes.

* Bobby Fish

* Bronson Reed

* Mercedes Martinez

* Jake Atlas

* Ari Sterling

* Kona Reeves

* Leon Ruff

* Stephon Smith

* Tyler Rust

* Zechariah Smith

* Asher Hale

* Giant Zanjeer

Embarrassing by WWE. I know I've said for yrs they got too many people but to release most of the releases during a pandemic when WWE can afford them with their Saudi Blood Money is embarrassing. 

I really liked Kona Reeves, Bobby Fish hopefully Cole leaves and Kyle O'Reily leaves soon so ReDragon can reform and personally I'd like to see Cole in AEW with Britt

Jake Atlas, Bronson Reed and Sterling were all GCW and PWG guys so they should find work

Mecedes was already doing well on the indues

zero idea on the rest. 

Ok, Bray's release had me starting to believe, and now the purges yesterday (with more to come yet according to reporter Andrew Zarian) have me more convinced than ever:

Sell yes but WWE also was holding too much talent and losing money because they were trying to buy up every wrestler they could. Essentially they wanted to take all the good people out of the Indies. It was a good idea at first when some company called AEW wasn't around but I don't think WWE ever thought the Indies would become so popular and WWE themselves would lose literally 2.5M viewers during that time. With other options for wrestling with streaming services WWE kind of put themselves in a bind and had to make cuts

Agree with this 100 percent. Lots of people online were dogpiling on HHH, that Vince ripped NXT out of his hands and destroyed what he built.

I think it's more likely Paul checked his back balance, saw 9 figures, knows that the 3 percent of the WWE that he and Steph own is going to add to that during the sale, and decided he didn't want to be Vince, 80 years old sitting at Gorilla.

My question has always been, who is actually going to buy the company? Yes it's a big name (dying) business now, but as Cornette has always said, who is there left to take over and run a wrestling company? It's entertainment sure, but it's a very non-traditional form of it.

Who is left that actually knows how to run, build, promote on a large scale this kind of thing? All the guys who ran the territories are dead or enjoying their twilight. I think any billionaire entity that looks at this as an easy acquisition will find themselves in trouble.

It really is a business that you kind of need to know and respect the history of to understand how things work and why certain things are or aren't successful.

My question has always been, who is actually going to buy the company? Yes it's a big name (dying) business now, but as Cornette has always said, who is there left to take over and run a wrestling company? It's entertainment sure, but it's a very non-traditional form of it.

Who is left that actually knows how to run, build, promote on a large scale this kind of thing? All the guys who ran the territories are dead or enjoying their twilight. I think any billionaire entity that looks at this as an easy acquisition will find themselves in trouble.

It really is a business that you kind of need to know and respect the history of to understand how things work and why certain things are or aren't successful.

NBC could buy them, focused on the IP and content archives. Bring in a retread like Jeff Jarrett to book. Decide they want to tape most week at Universal Studios instead of being on the road. Every angle will tie-in with a current NBC show.

And it will be horrible, water-downed version of the WWE that we all know.

I wish AEW was a public company, I would be buying stock this morning.

And it will be horrible, water-downed version of the WWE that we all know.

I wish AEW was a public company, I would be buying stock this morning.
You mean it gets worse?

In all seriousness, for as much as AEW haters love to call Tony Khan a "money mark" (whatever that is :rolleyes: ), it's going to take someone like him to continue the business.  The old territory guys are going, but I have to believe there are a couple of people out there who sat under these guys and could book quality professional wrestling.  

You would think it would be fairly easy to write good stories that make sense, don't insult your intelligence, and play on your emotions.  You could put me, @Bogart, @hagmania, and @Deranged Hermitin a row and come up with better stories...three jagoffs who've been watching wrestling for a long time.

You mean it gets worse?

In all seriousness, for as much as AEW haters love to call Tony Khan a "money mark" (whatever that is :rolleyes: ), it's going to take someone like him to continue the business.  The old territory guys are going, but I have to believe there are a couple of people out there who sat under these guys and could book quality professional wrestling.  

You would think it would be fairly easy to write good stories that make sense, don't insult your intelligence, and play on your emotions.  You could put me, @Bogart, @hagmania, and @Deranged Hermitin a row and come up with better stories...three jagoffs who've been watching wrestling for a long time.
Brother, let me tell you, I've got all kinds of bad gimmicks to throw at the wall.

Tony Khan will do what Vince did to WCW and buy WWE watch

ANDRADE EL IDOLO WANTS ‘THE WHOLE FAMILY’ INCLUDING CHARLOTTE FLAIR IN AEW

Former WWE Superstar Andrade El Idolo had a solid run in NXT where he even won the NXT Championship, but his main roster run in comparison left much to be desired. He was finally granted his WWE release after WWE Fastlane back on March 21st.

Andrade El Idolo eventually made his way to AEW back in June and since then has been a staple of AEW television.

Now it seems Andrade has an interest in bringing his fiancé Charlotte Flair and her father Ric Flair, who was recently released from WWE. According to Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Andrade really wants to get his ‘whole family’, including Charlotte Flair and Ric Flair in AEW.

“Andrade has told people that he wants the whole family there. And by the family, it’s, you know, RUSH, Bestia, Dragon Lee, him, Ashley [Charlotte], Ric, that’s what he wants. Ashley, you know, I don’t know her. I’m certainly not going to speak for her, I sense that she wants to be in WWE, that it’s the big leagues to her.”

While there is a chance Ric Flair could be going to AEW, Charlotte Flair making her way to AEW seems highly unlikely at this point in time. We will have to wait and see if Andrade El Idolo gets his wish or not in the end.

Ted Turner is going to rise from the rocking chair; buy it  and declare himself the winner of the Monday Night War.  

Talked to two people in the last few days about certain things

First lets get to Adam Cole

Reports are True that he signed a contract extension lasting to SS. WWE was caught with their pants down there. Also I'm sure they made sure the non compete clause was right. Cole has apparently contract from WWE and AEW. If he does resign he's going to the main roster. For now it sounds like he'd be going to SD but those plans could always change and the ideas are freely flowing here. He also has a really good deal with AEW and he would like a chance to go back to Japan at some point too. SO AEW has that wildcard they can pitch plus his Fiancee is there. Cole is said to want to stay in WWE but wants to stay in NXT as he is iffy on how WWE ends up using him on main. 

NXT Releases and NXT going in a new direction

USA Network is very disappointed in the whole NXT ratings. They've become very impatient and there has been talks of scrapping USA and putting it back on just the network. Nothing confirmed on this though and seems to just be ideas the network is spitballing. I've heard NXT could release some big names as The Network and WWE want to go back to the old way. Network said no more "midgets" and WWE is said to be signing more under 30 and "bigger" players. With this WWE direction don't be shocked if more Cruiserweights are let go. I've heard other big names could be let go in NXT who don't fit

As for Pete Dunne

No one knows for sure when his contract ends but everyone I talked to says it's up soon. Dunne is a guy they'd like to keep as they feel his brawling style works well with where WWE wants to go and believe he can be a star. No word on how Dunne feels about staying there or not though

A Network is very disappointed in the whole NXT ratings. They've become very impatient and there has been talks of scrapping USA and putting it back on just the network. Nothing confirmed on this though and seems to just be ideas the network is spitballing. I've heard NXT could release some big names as The Network and WWE want to go back to the old way. Network said no more "midgets" and WWE is said to be signing more under 30 and "bigger" players. With this WWE direction don't be shocked if more Cruiserweights are let go. I've heard other big names could be let go in NXT who don't fit.
What does "the old way" mean?

What does "the old way" mean?

It means they are going back to guys like Big Show and bigger guys who aren't known for their ring work. Essentially they are going backwards again thinking the Big Show and Hogan type builds can sell for them. So expect more monsters on the rosters 

WWE UNCERTAIN ABOUT PLANS FOR DAVEY BOY SMITH JR.

WWE has a few people on their radar and they were able to lock a few of them down with contracts. Harry Smith is now officially back with WWE after signing in April, but the company hasn’t figured out a plan for him just yet.

Davey Boy Smith left WWE in 2011, but he just made his in-ring return during a dark match before the first SmackDown with fans. Plans for a big feud with WALTER were scrapped, and the company is back to the drawing board for him.

PW Insider reports that Smith is signed, but not assigned to a WWE brand at this point. There is no real clear direction at this point where he will wind up.

For those who have asked about Davey Boy Smith Jr., he’s signed but has not yet been assigned to whatever brand he will land on.

Smith has pro wrestling in his blood and he could have a great second run in WWE. The trick is booking him correctly, and it seems that Vince McMahon and company are in no hurry to get him back on television right away.

DJackson10 said:
It means they are going back to guys like Big Show and bigger guys who aren't known for their ring work. Essentially they are going backwards again thinking the Big Show and Hogan type builds can sell for them. So expect more monsters on the rosters 
The old way means more promos/interviews.....jobbers that can get faces/heels over.....more managers.....more vignettes and a serious return to tag team wrestling.

Users who are viewing this thread