What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (8 Viewers)

Teasing The Rock all night at SS.

People still watch WWE PPVs? 

In all seriousness this is what WWE does. They tease something and then it never happens. I know some people were mad about Christian Cage being the surprise for AEW in a big reveal but at the same time what I love about AEW is they won't tease something and then never give it to you. They teased Balor reuniting with the Good Brothers or a possible stable with Balor/Styles and then did nothing with it. They've teased certain matches only for them to never happen. 

AEW teased us Hangman vs Kenny, slow burned it and then gave it to us this past Saturday night. You can say but AEW didn't give it to us right away but thats what made that even more exciting about that match. It was a good slow burn but we did get it. WWE just teases stuff then it never happens. It's like they teased us just to tease us and keep viewers 

Would be cool if he shows up to stare down Roman at the end of the show. Main event for WM. But everything I have heard, The Rock isn't wrestling this year at WM, more looking towards the next year when WM is in LA.

Dwayne is tied up with movies and other stuff. People will blame the Pandemic but this was all said prior to the pandemic that the better outlook was when WM is in LA 

I would feel bad for Adam Pierce having to tweet bad Egg related Dad jokes all day, but he is probably making more in a month than he made in a year at NWA and ROH.

Tom Servo said:
I thought he was in Australia filming a movie?

He's in Europe he was never coming. They were just promoting stuff since it was 25yrs since Rock's debut. Plus they were promoting his Netflix movie too. Do to covid restrictions no way Dwayne could make it and Meltzer said WWE hadn't had plans to book him anyway 

Jesus Christ. Not watching RAW but saw Seth was trending on twitter. Well apparently after his match some fan a black guy (trust me context here) ran from side stage out of no where and attacked Seth. Rollins was heated and refs and security were right there. However you can clearly hear Seth call him "boy" which is a derogatory term for those who don't know towards blacks that white people use to use on African American slaves and free blacks. There also may have been a N Bomb or two from Rollins as well. Pretty bad image here for Seth. Fan had no right to attack him but Rollins going on a racial tangent doesn't help. I know he's heated but Jesus dude. 

Seth calls black fan who attacks him BOY

Jesus Christ. Not watching RAW but saw Seth was trending on twitter. Well apparently after his match some fan a black guy (trust me context here) ran from side stage out of no where and attacked Seth. Rollins was heated and refs and security were right there. However you can clearly hear Seth call him "boy" which is a derogatory term for those who don't know towards blacks that white people use to use on African American slaves and free blacks. There also may have been a N Bomb or two from Rollins as well. Pretty bad image here for Seth. Fan had no right to attack him but Rollins going on a racial tangent doesn't help. I know he's heated but Jesus dude. 

Before I read this, I'd assumed it was you that jumped the railing to attack Seth.

Let's please be careful. Yes, Rollins calling him "boy" is a bad look, regardless if it was in the heat of getting attacked or not. But he did not drop any other slurs. Even putting it out there on a message board is not a good thing.

Before I read this, I'd assumed it was you that jumped the railing to attack Seth.

We all know I hate Seth and I could probably beat him myself (He took a solid L from this invader) but I wouldn't do that. I've heard Seth is one of those guys who talks a lot but in a fight people would choose the other guy. He's the guy who will throw the first punch but then stand behind his boys and act like they are holding him back. 

Update on Jessi The Buckeye: apparently her digestive system shut down yesterday. Previously, she had 8 feet of her colon removed. Now, she’s being fed by IV. She’s sad, scared and missing her kids. :cry:  

We all know I hate Seth and I could probably beat him myself (He took a solid L from this invader) but I wouldn't do that. I've heard Seth is one of those guys who talks a lot but in a fight people would choose the other guy. He's the guy who will throw the first punch but then stand behind his boys and act like they are holding him back. 
"I've heard"...lol

"I've heard"...lol
Haha, exactly.  Plus, not all wrestlers are legit tough guys.  Just look at a guy like Shawn Michaels who was known for being a major wuss in real life.  He was quite a contrast to the legit tough guys like Harley Race, Haku and Rick Rude (among others). 

Japan just announced all boarders are shut to foreigners and not sure how long. Will be interesting how this effects NJPW moving forward or if this has any effects on WrestleKingdom which barely over a month from now 

Probably mentioned here before, but had about 90 minutes to kill yesterday between activities with the kids and popped on YouTube and caught up with Wrestle With Andy's latest videos. Their The (insert wrestler here) Story videos are entertaining, well done and pretty interesting.

DJackson10 said:
Sounds like she had some personal stuff going on with her announcement she's trying to get through. 
Crohn's disease.  My brother-in-law had it; it can be bad, real bad.

So I've been a fan of AEW for a while. I've only been to 2 wrestling shows live. A Raw taping nearly 20 years ago and an AEW show before Covid. Well going to my third show in January for Battle of the Belts. Already got our tickets. Pretty nice seats. We were ringside last time but that was early on. Those seats were way out of our price range this time. They grow up so fast.

So I've been a fan of AEW for a while. I've only been to 2 wrestling shows live. A Raw taping nearly 20 years ago and an AEW show before Covid. Well going to my third show in January for Battle of the Belts. Already got our tickets. Pretty nice seats. We were ringside last time but that was early on. Those seats were way out of our price range this time. They grow up so fast.

I was going to the Philly Show in April right before Pandemic shut it down. The new show this past Oct for similar seats were more then triple what I paid back then. Glad they allowed us to keep our original tickets 

I was going to the Philly Show in April right before Pandemic shut it down. The new show this past Oct for similar seats were more then triple what I paid back then. Glad they allowed us to keep our original tickets 
Yeah they've definitely grown and so have the prices. Still we got pretty good seats for 70. Still pretty close and I think we are right off the ramp.

So yesterday, The Rock answered everyone's favorite question: Who is on your wrestling Mount Rushmore? And he kind of chickened out.

Anyway, made me think, who is on mine? After some thought and debate (and the rule that I had to see them perform in their prime, sorry Bruno, Rodgers, Graham), here is what I came up with, with a similar wrestler in my mind that could take that place:

• Ric Flair - greatest worker over 40 years. The greatest of the territory stars and huge in the modern big companies. Carried every company as some point. Amazing on the mic always. Look past the caricature of his later years and the multiple retirements. Forget everything past Flair losing to HBK at WMXXIV. "I love you, I'm sorry."  (Wrestler that could most take this place: HHH, especially due to NXT)  
  • Chris Jericho - Jericho has had multiple Hall Of Fame runs in his career. Combine them all into 30+ years, and he belongs. Mexico. Japan. America. He fits. White meat Lionheart babyface. Top heel in the company. He fits. Unmatched on the mic. Intro on RAW. Armbar. The List. First undisputed champion. 5 star match at age 48. If I could only watch one wrestler's matches, it would be his. (Wrestler that could most take this place: HBK)
  • The Rock - While Flair and Jericho get kudos for how long they did it, I give The Rock props for how much he crammed into basically seven years. In that short time he went from "Die Rocky Die" to having a two hour weekly primetime show named after a catchphrase. Biggest star during the biggest boom in wrestling. Face or Heel, serious or comedic, it was his show when he was on. You were never going to get a five-star match but always entertaining, and I think I will take his "five moves of Doom" over Hart's or Cena's. And yeah, then goes on to become the world's biggest action star. (Wrestler that could most take this place: Stone Cold Steve Austin, just my personal preference)
  • Randy Savage - The MVP of wrestling's first boom. Not the other guy. In an alternative universe, Terry doesn't do Rocky III and fades away with the AWA, ending up as a Stan Hansen/Bruiser Brody type monster in Japan. Savage comes into the WWF a year early than he did and is the undisputed top guy. In WMIII, you could put Savage against Andre and had a better match. Putting Hogan against Steamboat would have been a train wreck. Everything we thought Hogan was good or great at, Savage was better. And Savage could do so many things that Hogan could never do. Top rope elbow >>> boot/leg drop. And no one would have bought a Hogan romantic relationship of any kind. People physically cried when Savage and Liz got back together. Simply the best during the Rock and Wrestling era (Wrestler that could most take this place: The Undertaker)

Apologies to this generation of guys: Kenny Omega, Bryan Danielson, CM Punk, John Cena, Roman Reigns, Okada. I had Cena in the Savage spot for a while, but felt that era needed representation.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if you haven't seen it already you should definitely check out the flaming table spot and its aftermath that Cody did with Andrade. It was insane. This is the kind of stuff people who say wrestling is fake should be shown. Cody looks like he got some potentially serious burns out of it. Yea the outcomes are predetermined but the bumps still hurt.

So yesterday, The Rock answered everyone's favorite question: Who is on your wrestling Mount Rushmore? And he kind of chickened out.

Anyway, made me think, who is on mine? After some thought and debate (and the rule that I had to see them perform in their prime, sorry Bruno, Rodgers, Graham), here is what I came up with, with a similar wrestler in my mind that could take that place:

• Ric Flair - greatest worker over 40 years. The greatest of the territory stars and huge in the modern big companies. Carried every company as some point. Amazing on the mic always. Look past the caricature of his later years and the multiple retirements. Forget everything past Flair losing to HBK at WMXXIV. "I love you, I'm sorry."  (Wrestler that could most take this place: HHH, especially due to NXT)  
  • Chris Jericho - Jericho has had multiple Hall Of Fame runs in his career. Combine them all into 30+ years, and he belongs. Mexico. Japan. America. He fits. White meat Lionheart babyface. Top heel in the company. He fits. Unmatched on the mic. Intro on RAW. Armbar. The List. First undisputed champion. 5 star match at age 48. If I could only watch one wrestler's matches, it would be his. (Wrestler that could most take this place: HBK)
  • The Rock - While Flair and Jericho get kudos for how long they did it, I give The Rock props for how much he crammed into basically seven years. In that short time he went from "Die Rocky Die" to having a two hour weekly primetime show named after a catchphrase. Biggest star during the biggest boom in wrestling. Face or Heel, serious or comedic, it was his show when he was on. You were never going to get a five-star match but always entertaining, and I think I will take his "five moves of Doom" over Hart's or Cena's. And yeah, then goes on to become the world's biggest action star. (Wrestler that could most take this place: Stone Cold Steve Austin, just my personal preference)
  • Randy Savage - The MVP of wrestling's first boom. Not the other guy. In an alternative universe, Terry doesn't do Rocky III and fades away with the AWA, ending up as a Stan Hansen/Bruiser Brody type monster in Japan. Savage comes into the WWF a year early than he did and is the undisputed top guy. In WMIII, you could put Savage against Andre and had a better match. Putting Hogan against Steamboat would have been a train wreck. Everything we thought Hogan was good or great at, Savage was better. And Savage could do so many things that Hogan could never do. Top rope elbow >>> boot/leg drop. And no one would have bought a Hogan romantic relationship of any kind. People physically cried when Savage and Liz got back together. Simply the best during the Rock and Wrestling era (Wrestler that could most take this place: The Undertaker)

Apologies to this generation of guys: Kenny Omega, Bryan Danielson, CM Punk, John Cena, Roman Reigns, Okada. I had Cena in the Savage spot for a while, but felt that era needed representation.
Nice list 

Nice list 
Appreciate it.

Undertaker gave his list: Andre, Stone Cold, Rock, HBK - obviously WWF/E heavy but also doesn't include Hogan, so I approve.

Rock's List: Hogan, Stone Cold, Flair, 3 way tie for 4th - Taker, Pat Patterson, Jackie Fargo, - Hon Men: Dusty, himself

So if you haven't seen it already you should definitely check out the flaming table spot and its aftermath that Cody did with Andrade. It was insane. This is the kind of stuff people who say wrestling is fake should be shown. Cody looks like he got some potentially serious burns out of it. Yea the outcomes are predetermined but the bumps still hurt.

Cody's back - Not for the faint of heart

Seriously, it's kinda gross. And like the post says, "We don't deserve Cody"

Jericho is woefully underrated from an all-time standpoint.  He has done it all and is a great talker and ring worker. 

Everyone's Mt Rushmore will be dictated by their personal tastes, but for me, it is easy: Hogan, Austin, Rock and Flair.  Remember that pro wrestling is largely not about who the best wrestler is, otherwise it would be easy to put Bret and HBK in there, but neither of those guys ever had the widespread mainstream appeal of the four I listed.  I know Hogan's rep has taken a beating over the years, much of it deserved, but no one in the sport has ever been as over as he was for about a 5-6 year stretch during his peak WWF years.  Remember how the fans went nuts for Daniel Bryan back when the YES movement was at its peak. It was like that almost every night with Hogan for years, similar to how it was for Austin during his run.  That simply cannot be ignored.  That is why he is up there with Flair and Rock and Austin. 

My honorable mentions would be Undertaker, Andre, Cena, Lesnar, Savage, Bret, HBK and Jericho.  Orton is pretty close as well.  Triple H gets zero love from me since he needed nepotism to stay on or near the top for as long as he did and because most of his most memorable matches were gimmick matches (Last Man Standing, no DQ, etc.). 

I know Hogan's rep has taken a beating over the years, much of it deserved, but no one in the sport has ever been as over as he was for about a 5-6 year stretch during his peak WWF years.  Remember how the fans went nuts for Daniel Bryan back when the YES movement was at its peak. It was like that almost every night with Hogan for years, similar to how it was for Austin during his run.  That simply cannot be ignored.  That is why he is up there with Flair and Rock and Austin. 

Just want to play Devil's Advocate here, because I'm bored, not that I disagree at all.

Not going to say that Hogan wasn't over. He was tremendously over. I just wonder how much of that was Hogan or how much was it the WWF machine. During the same time in the early to mid 80s when Hogan was at the peak of his powers, you had the Road Warriors in the AWA getting the same reactions (hell, they call it a Road Warrior pop to this day), you had Flair and Dusty getting huge reactions in the NWA, Jerry Lawler owning Tennessee and you had the Von Erich brothers in Dallas (slight bias) getting the biggest reactions of all of them. And all of these other guys were wrestling multiple times a week on TV. With Hogan, you saw him wrestle maybe once a month and interview maybe one to two other shows that month. I think not being on TV every week actually helped Hogan be even bigger.

I think if Vince had landed Kerry Von Erich, Magnum TA, Sting or Flair instead of Hogan, they would have been just as big. Rumor has it that Vince has a list of three or four names that he wanted to build his company around. Hogan was the first name, but Flair and Kerry were also on that list.

My Rushmore:

Locked in: Hogan, Austin, Cena. Any arguments against these 3 are completely unacceptable IMO. They grew and carried the wrestling business far more than anyone else in history. They dominated entire eras and carried the WWF/E on their shoulders to new heights. 

These are the only 3 that were unquestionably the top draws for long long stretches at the biggest points of growth. And they all dominated the competition.

Guys like Jericho, Savage, Taker, Bret, Michaels, HHH...all played second or third or 4th fiddle at best during most of their careers. Even The Rock was overshadowed by Austin (and it wasn't close during most of his run). 

For #4, I think Vince is my choice if he qualifies. If not, I'm probably going Flair. A heel needs to be on the top 4 and he's transcended wrestling more than any other. Everyone knows who he is outside of wrestling and he's the definition of a legend.

Not going to say that Hogan wasn't over. He was tremendously over. I just wonder how much of that was Hogan or how much was it the WWF machine. During the same time in the early to mid 80s when Hogan was at the peak of his powers, you had the Road Warriors in the AWA getting the same reactions (hell, they call it a Road Warrior pop to this day), you had Flair and Dusty getting huge reactions in the NWA, Jerry Lawler owning Tennessee and you had the Von Erich brothers in Dallas (slight bias) getting the biggest reactions of all of them. And all of these other guys were wrestling multiple times a week on TV. With Hogan, you saw him wrestle maybe once a month and interview maybe one to two other shows that month. I think not being on TV every week actually helped Hogan be even bigger.

I've always argued Hogan was over on Cheap Pops as I call them. Using the Real American hero gimmick in a time when patriotism propaganda was at its finest. People ate that ape and drank that kool aid. Don't think if Hogan had another gimmick he could've gotten as over. I thought his NWO Heel run was more entertaining. Wasn't a huge Hogan fan was always a Savage guy and Davey Boy Smith, Steamboat, type in my early days before Attitude Era, ECW and Cruiser days. 

Hogan had the charisma and mic skills but honestly that was all he had. If it wasn't for his power and influence backstage does anyone think he's as over? I definitely think him not being there on TV every week helped and him not being in the ring as much helped because there was a lot of guys who'd mop the ring with Hogan including Davey Boy and Hart. No question some of the guys you named above could've done just as well. 

So, based on social media by Gargano and Ciampa, Gargano's ring attire and his promo after War Games went off the air, sounds like this Tuesday will be Johnny Gargano's last night with NXT. 

Nothing official on what would be next for him, but Fightful is reporting  that many within WWE are operating under the assumption that neither Gargano or Kyle O'Reilly will be with the company after this week.

So, based on social media by Gargano and Ciampa, Gargano's ring attire and his promo after War Games went off the air, sounds like this Tuesday will be Johnny Gargano's last night with NXT. 

Nothing official on what would be next for him, but Fightful is reporting  that many within WWE are operating under the assumption that neither Gargano or Kyle O'Reilly will be with the company after this week.

O'Riely it's always been figured that he would go to AEW and join his guys. 

Just want to play Devil's Advocate here, because I'm bored, not that I disagree at all.

I think if Vince had landed Kerry Von Erich, Magnum TA, Sting or Flair instead of Hogan, they would have been just as big. Rumor has it that Vince has a list of three or four names that he wanted to build his company around. Hogan was the first name, but Flair and Kerry were also on that list.
That is true, big pops were not exclusive to Hogan.  I definitely agree that not seeing him on TV helped a lot, as it just felt special when he did wrestle on TV. Same with Flair who, IIRC, we never saw wrestle on TV a lot in the 80s until '89.  I think the era helped as well, as the 80s were big on over the top, colorful stars.  Think of David Lee Roth and how charismatic and over the top he was in his videos, or Bill Cosby and all of those sweaters. :lol:   Hogan was a larger than life persona. 

I totally disagree about Sting.  He was the classic example of a guy who was great when chasing the belt, but being the champ just didn't fit him.  There is probably a reason he was never really given a long run with the belt again after his thud of a run in '90.  The Black Scorpion feud, which was terrible and bad booking, did not help, but Sting never could have carried the WWF in its heyday.  Heck, many thought he would carry WCW in the 90s and he failed miserably in that regard.  Kerry, for all of his greatness, probably had too many demons.  That poor family. :(

Ghost Rider said:
Kerry, for all of his greatness, probably had too many demons.  That poor family. :(

The Von Erichs are the greatest "What If" in pro wrestling. If David, Kerry and even Mike live, the landscape of which companies survive and flourish in the 90s is completely different. 

My Mount Rushmore is kinda different, as I put a big emphasis on guys who can work the stick.  I don't know as I could limit it to four, but here's Hall of Fame of Wrestling Promo Cutters:

1. Flair - the GOAT IMO.  He made you believe that he darn well would do whatever was necessary to win and had the boasts to shove it in your face. 

2. Jake Roberts - this is an underrated one.  In an era where most every wrestler screamed, Jake took a completely different tack.  He was quiet and methodical in his promos.  He went for psychology rather than volume and it made him stick out.

3. Chris Jericho - this is about reinvention as much as promos.  Each time he developed a new persona, a new style of promo came with it.  His 1004 holds promo is much different than his cuts on the Pinnacle.  Age has something to do with it, but not totally.

4. The Rock - this one almost goes without saying.  He had catchphrases - which he'd change up and modify as needed.  I love his cuts on Cena back a decade or so ago; working in a Fruity Pebbles reference with respect to his merch as genius.  The promo on Billy Gunn was great as well.

The up and comer on this list is MJF without a doubt.  I don't see anyone in the same zip code as him right now.  He plays the Old School ##### heel to the point of wondering if he's like that IRL.  

Great list @Tom Servo , honestly can't think of anyone else that I would put in that top four. Dusty maybe on the outside looking in. 

Spent about 30 mins last night trying to come up with a Tag Team Mount Rushmore, but honestly it was more frustrating trying to get that list down to four teams. Didn't even get close.

Users who are viewing this thread