What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (6 Viewers)

crowd:You can't wrestle!

CM Punk: ... :unsure: me?

crowd: NOOOO!!!!

CM Punk :points to Cena:

crowd: YES!!!!!

:lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not knocking the guys that are still into it but 10 years ago, Cena and Punk would be guys fighting to get scraps for even the hardcore title and not be the main events. Its come a long way down, IMO but to each there own.

A decade ago

Today
:goodposting: I was channel surfing last Monday looking for something on and I came across wrestling and flipped to it. It was the 'main event' segment of the show with the contract thing. With Mondays being so slow in the summer, a great segment could have sucked me in this week for a full try but that was some awful crap. I can't believe that was the current Monday Night Raw main event segment before a pay per view and that chump is a main attraction.
Its come a long way. I didn't mind peaking in over the past decade and seeing guys like Edge, Matt and Jeff Hardy, Christian and such get their due but making them headliners was starting to push it. Then creating like 8 new titles and basically splitting the company in 2 because of the huge roster just hurt the product to me. Now that the old roster is starting to retire, they have to rely on guys like Cena, CM punk and the Miz to carry the torch. They would be the sideshow back in the day. Val Venis and Goldust had better feuds than these guys. I wonder if my son will enjoy wrestling when he gets old enough or if it will be done by then?

While it had been stagnant lately, the last three weeks have been money. And last night's PPV was the best PPV event I've seen in years (and this comes from someone who catches boxing and MMA PPVs as well as WWE).

I'm not knocking the guys that are still into it but 10 years ago, Cena and Punk would be guys fighting to get scraps for even the hardcore title and not be the main events. Its come a long way down, IMO but to each their own.

A decade ago

Today
Disagree. Punk's a great talker. He would have been big somewhere back then, even if it was ECW (assuming you don't mean 10 literal years).

I'm not knocking the guys that are still into it but 10 years ago, Cena and Punk would be guys fighting to get scraps for even the hardcore title and not be the main events. Its come a long way down, IMO but to each their own.

A decade ago

Today
Disagree. Punk's a great talker. He would have been big somewhere back then, even if it was ECW (assuming you don't mean 10 literal years).
It's a hallmark of growing old when one can say how much better (insert any subject here) was back in their day.

How do you play this out if you are Vince?

If I was booking this, tonight I would have Vince come out and fire Cena right away. Take two segements if you want, but make sure you Cena is out of the building and is gone. Take down his wwe.com profile, wipe out everything you can. And keep him gone. (Rumors Cena is due time off.)

Have Punk show up in the crowds for the next few weeks, belt in hand. Have Del Rio chase him, briefcase in hand, trying to get the title back, but Punk always gets away. Punk shows up at ROH with the belt. The Internet groupies all explode. I would then have Vince show up at ROH with Del Rio in tow, to "get back what is his." Punk beats Del Rio and Vince tucks tail and runs away. Next event, Vince shows up, another WWE wrestler, same result. Repeat as necessary. Back on WWE TV, Vince slowly goes insane, talking about his dad's company, legacy, need for a champion to lead the roster. Everything feels out of place, everyone runs over Vince, because he can't even keep his belt in the company.

Finally, Vince shows back up at a ROH PPV and begs Punk for one last chance. Vince unveils the one guy that took Punk past his limits, and out comes Cena. Cena wins in the rematch and all is back to normal in the WWE. Punk takes time off, and then comes back as the Loose Cannon Brian Pillman character who decides the belt is worth more than all he was fighting Vince for, and rejoins WWE.

I have spent too much time thinking of this and typing this.

How do you play this out if you are Vince?If I was booking this, tonight I would have Vince come out and fire Cena right away. Take two segements if you want, but make sure you Cena is out of the building and is gone. Take down his wwe.com profile, wipe out everything you can. And keep him gone. (Rumors Cena is due time off.)Have Punk show up in the crowds for the next few weeks, belt in hand. Have Del Rio chase him, briefcase in hand, trying to get the title back, but Punk always gets away. Punk shows up at ROH with the belt. The Internet groupies all explode. I would then have Vince show up at ROH with Del Rio in tow, to "get back what is his." Punk beats Del Rio and Vince tucks tail and runs away. Next event, Vince shows up, another WWE wrestler, same result. Repeat as necessary. Back on WWE TV, Vince slowly goes insane, talking about his dad's company, legacy, need for a champion to lead the roster. Everything feels out of place, everyone runs over Vince, because he can't even keep his belt in the company.Finally, Vince shows back up at a ROH PPV and begs Punk for one last chance. Vince unveils the one guy that took Punk past his limits, and out comes Cena. Cena wins in the rematch and all is back to normal in the WWE. Punk takes time off, and then comes back as the Loose Cannon Brian Pillman character who decides the belt is worth more than all he was fighting Vince for, and rejoins WWE.I have spent too much time thinking of this and typing this.
Good scenario. Somehow the Doofus Son in Law needs to be involved. C'mon, HHH is AWOL, wrestles at WrestleMania, then goes AWOL again?

Sin Cara has been suspended for violating the Wellness (PED?) Policy. Probably explains him being carried out on a stretcher.

link

A decade ago

Today
I disagree on Punk. The guy would have been money in the bank during the attitude era or any era. I think most of the guys at the top are garbage see Alberto Del Rio for a prime example but CM Punk is at another level at a time when the wwe is purposely more g rated.

Yeah, Del Rio is crap. No way should the modern day version of Rick Martel be a main event guy or, heaven forbid, a world champion.

How do you play this out if you are Vince?If I was booking this, tonight I would have Vince come out and fire Cena right away. Take two segements if you want, but make sure you Cena is out of the building and is gone. Take down his wwe.com profile, wipe out everything you can. And keep him gone. (Rumors Cena is due time off.)Have Punk show up in the crowds for the next few weeks, belt in hand. Have Del Rio chase him, briefcase in hand, trying to get the title back, but Punk always gets away. Punk shows up at ROH with the belt. The Internet groupies all explode. I would then have Vince show up at ROH with Del Rio in tow, to "get back what is his." Punk beats Del Rio and Vince tucks tail and runs away. Next event, Vince shows up, another WWE wrestler, same result. Repeat as necessary. Back on WWE TV, Vince slowly goes insane, talking about his dad's company, legacy, need for a champion to lead the roster. Everything feels out of place, everyone runs over Vince, because he can't even keep his belt in the company.Finally, Vince shows back up at a ROH PPV and begs Punk for one last chance. Vince unveils the one guy that took Punk past his limits, and out comes Cena. Cena wins in the rematch and all is back to normal in the WWE. Punk takes time off, and then comes back as the Loose Cannon Brian Pillman character who decides the belt is worth more than all he was fighting Vince for, and rejoins WWE.I have spent too much time thinking of this and typing this.
All that is good except for the fact that Vince doesn't acknowledge the existence of anything other than WWE. ROH might as well be on Mars as far as he's concerned.

Am i the only Del Rio fan here? I think he is the best new wwe heel in ten years. The guy has mic skills and has yet to hit his prime in the ring.

A decade ago

Today
I disagree on Punk. The guy would have been money in the bank during the attitude era or any era. I think most of the guys at the top are garbage see Alberto Del Rio for a prime example but CM Punk is at another level at a time when the wwe is purposely more g rated.
You may be right. I haven't seen enough of him but he seems like a guy made for ECW more than the WWE.

A decade ago

Today
You may be right. I haven't seen enough of him but he seems like a guy made for ECW more than the WWE.
He is exactly what WWE needs more of.

A decade ago

Today
He is exactly what WWE needs more of.
But if they handcuff guys like that, whats the point?

If I were Vince's creative team, I'd unify the brands back to together again. With all the major names retiring and leaving, that it would be better to go back to the two show, one roster format. Have a king of the ring style tournament to decide who gets to knock off Punk.Then re-sign guys like Colt Cabana and Ace Steel to align with Punk. (keep Nexus, The Core. but let punk have his own group.)

Riley needs a lot of work. He missed half his moves.
I just don't see what they see in Riley. IMO he's as bland and vanillia as it gets. They certainly shouldn't have been jobbing Miz out to him like they have for the past month (last night excluded).

A decade ago

Today
Don't let your nostalgia get in the way of your analysis.
I'm a huge fan of Jericho, but Punk leaves him in the dust wrestling ability-wise. Jericho is probably a marginally better promo guy, but that can be debated.Now if you're talking about the Rock, well than he's probably about the second best promo guy in history, so no shame there. That being said though, Punk can work circles around him in the ring.

So what actually happened in the Cena-Punk match?

I saw what happened last night at the end of RAW, but not sure what exactly happened in the match the night before.

So what actually happened in the Cena-Punk match?I saw what happened last night at the end of RAW, but not sure what exactly happened in the match the night before.
Punk pinned Cena semi-clean. Vince tried to do Montreal screw job II, but Cena stopped him from ringing the bell. When Cena came back in, Punk hit his finisher and pinned him. Vince tried to get Del Rio to cash in his Money in the Bank shot, but Punk waffled him with the belt and ran out through the crowd. Basically last night set up a few angles: Triple H vs Vince, Punk vs whomever has the title when Punk returns since Punk never 'lost' the belt, and Cena vs Del Rio (eventually).

I saw what happened last night at the end of RAW, but not sure what exactly happened in the match the night before.
It was an epic 30 minute match. Lots of STFs and Attitude Adjustments. McMahon and Laurinitis come out to make sure Cena wins. Cena of course just wanted to win the match fair & square. While he was distracted, Punk delivers a GTS and wins. McMahon is irate and calls out Del Rio to cash in his Money in the Bank contract. Punk thwarts Del Rio and runs through the crowd and out the arena with the belt..which can now be seen in his refrigerator.

Punk pinned Cena semi-clean. Vince tried to do Montreal screw job II, but Cena stopped him from ringing the bell. When Cena came back in, Punk hit his finisher and pinned him. Vince tried to get Del Rio to cash in his Money in the Bank shot, but Punk waffled him with the belt and ran out through the crowd. Basically last night set up a few angles: Triple H vs Vince, Punk vs whomever has the title when Punk returns since Punk never 'lost' the belt, and Cena vs Del Rio (eventually).

It was an epic 30 minute match. Lots of STFs and Attitude Adjustments. McMahon and Laurinitis come out to make sure Cena wins. Cena of course just wanted to win the match fair & square. While he was distracted, Punk delivers a GTS and wins. McMahon is irate and calls out Del Rio to cash in his Money in the Bank contract. Punk thwarts Del Rio and runs through the crowd and out the arena with the belt..which can now be seen in his refrigerator.
Thanks guys.Sounded like a cool match to watch

A decade ago

Today
I'm a huge fan of Jericho, but Punk leaves him in the dust wrestling ability-wise. Jericho is probably a marginally better promo guy, but that can be debated.Now if you're talking about the Rock, well than he's probably about the second best promo guy in history, so no shame there. That being said though, Punk can work circles around him in the ring.
There's no way Punk is better in the ring than Jericho. Dude was wrestling his whole life. He's wrestled in almost every type of venue around the world. He's learned so many styles that he can work with almost any type of wreslter. Brawler, Acrobat, Big man, little guy, doesn't matter. CM Punk started in backyard wrestling and grinded his way up the ladder but is not really a technical wrestler. Jericho would put punk to shame. Too bad he seems to be retired now.

A decade ago

Today
There's no way Punk is better in the ring than Jericho. Dude was wrestling his whole life. He's wrestled in almost every type of venue around the world. He's learned so many styles that he can work with almost any type of wreslter. Brawler, Acrobat, Big man, little guy, doesn't matter. CM Punk started in backyard wrestling and grinded his way up the ladder but is not really a technical wrestler. Jericho would put punk to shame. Too bad he seems to be retired now.
:shrug: We'll agree to disagree. I've probably seen Jericho wrestle 200 matches and Punk wrestle almost half that much. I've seen them wrestle throughout WWE, Japan, RoH, WCW, Indys, ECW, etc. I rarely see Punk throw in a bad match, but I've seen quite a few stinkers from Jericho. That being said, both men are capable of putting together much better matches if they weren't constrained by the WWE-style. Youtube CM Punk and you'll see a much different wrestler than you see in WWE.

I like the fact that Punk will get down on the mat and actually try to wear down his opponent with wrestling moves like a leg scissors and stuff like that; it's very old school. Sure, big spots and high energy offensive moves are important, too, but he gives you those as well. He does it all, and is terrific on the mic.

And remember that the first RAW after Randy Savage's death, Punk was the wrestler who came out and wore Macho Man-style boots and trunks that night as a tribute to Savage. :thumbup: :thumbup:

And per LordsofPain.net, he was seen with it at Wrigley Field last night.

CM Punk at Cubs Game

Love how he removed the John Cena name plate. In his GQ interview he says he is set for life that he has not debt and just banked his money while working all these years. Good for him if he doesn't have to return to work in the squared circle.

He has to be under contract to be making these appearances and wasting time with them.

Stephanie has his phone number. LOL

A decade ago

Today
:shrug: We'll agree to disagree. I've probably seen Jericho wrestle 200 matches and Punk wrestle almost half that much. I've seen them wrestle throughout WWE, Japan, RoH, WCW, Indys, ECW, etc. I rarely see Punk throw in a bad match, but I've seen quite a few stinkers from Jericho. That being said, both men are capable of putting together much better matches if they weren't constrained by the WWE-style. Youtube CM Punk and you'll see a much different wrestler than you see in WWE.
I have to agree a bit with Insein. I have seen a few stinkers with Jericho, but I wonder if it may have been the opponent and not so much Jericho. Behind the scenes, I have read that guys Like Triple H and Taker and other feel that Jericho is one of the all time greats all around (mic, in-ring etc.)...... I think Punk is well on his way, but still miles behind Jericho. I have seen at three GTS moves performed by Punk where the opponent was clearly 6 inches or more from Punk's knee but "went to sleep". Jericho seems to get some bad rap because it is widely known backstage to be one of the few who will "put over" just about anyone, so it may seem he has downfalls in his career......

I agree, but lets not lay it all on Riley. I still think Miz is way over rated, and is pushed because of his tremendous mic skills. In ring, he is so so at best. I agree with others that I do not see "it" in Riley..... I would rather see Cody Rhodes on RAW, there is untapped potential there.........

I agree, but lets not lay it all on Riley. I still think Miz is way over rated, and is pushed because of his tremendous mic skills. In ring, he is so so at best. I agree with others that I do not see "it" in Riley..... I would rather see Cody Rhodes on RAW, there is untapped potential there.........
I agree completely with you on Cody. That dude is gonna be big within the next year or so. He's right on the cusp of it now.

A decade ago

Today
I have to agree a bit with Insein. I have seen a few stinkers with Jericho, but I wonder if it may have been the opponent and not so much Jericho. Behind the scenes, I have read that guys Like Triple H and Taker and other feel that Jericho is one of the all time greats all around (mic, in-ring etc.)...... I think Punk is well on his way, but still miles behind Jericho. I have seen at three GTS moves performed by Punk where the opponent was clearly 6 inches or more from Punk's knee but "went to sleep". Jericho seems to get some bad rap because it is widely known backstage to be one of the few who will "put over" just about anyone, so it may seem he has downfalls in his career......
The big problem with Punk missing a GTS every now and that are because his opponents are scared of taking the move because he busted up someone's face with it on ECW and it's stayed with him still to this day. IMO, the GTS is a fairly weak looking move and he should go back to the anaconda vice or the Pepsi Plunge or one of his other numerous finishers from the indys.

I agree completely with you on Cody. That dude is gonna be big within the next year or so. He's right on the cusp of it now.
:thumbup: He has it all. He was a great amateur wrestler so in ring he is solid. Plus he got to learn from his old man so his mic skills can be great if he is allowed to really go with it.

A decade ago

Today
The big problem with Punk missing a GTS every now and that are because his opponents are scared of taking the move because he busted up someone's face with it on ECW and it's stayed with him still to this day. IMO, the GTS is a fairly weak looking move and he should go back to the anaconda vice or the Pepsi Plunge or one of his other numerous finishers from the indys.
:goodposting: Absolutely. I'd never seen Punk wrestle till Sunday's match. When he did that move on Cena the first time, and Cena fell out of the ring, I was like "What was that?" It looked like he picked Cena up on his shoulders, dropped him, and hit him in the groin on the way down. Even after the 2nd "finisher" I wasn't sure what he'd done. I had to watch the replay on Youtube to figure out what in the world the move is. And I'm still unaware of the the logic behind the move. Is it supposed to knock the wind out of the guy? Couldn't he just kick the guy in the ribs? Honestly, it made the match a tiny bit anticlimactic for this uninformed fan, because I couldn't figure out why Cena would be pinned after that. Orton's RKO on the table in the match prior was pretty sloppy, but it LOOKS like something that could knock you out. Punk's move looks lame.

:shrug: DOES he knee the guy in the face? I thought he kneed him in the ribs...at least that's where he kneed John Cena. I think. I'll check out youtube, but what I watched was less than impressive.

Cm punk back so soon...? And returns with his old ROH music.

Rumors of Samoa Joe being recruited to WWE by Punk

Users who are viewing this thread