What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mark Ingram (5 Viewers)

I just traded for him in a 10-team dynasty league.

I'm looking for solid RB2 numbers out of him and think it's going to happen soon.

Not a bust after two weeks, no. That's why I said "if Ingram doesn't pick it up...". I don't have a while lot of confidence he will pick it up, but fortunately if there's one position you can fail at in the fourth round and keep stashed on your roster in hopes he'll do better it's RB. So Ingram is people's desperation flex when his draft spot marked him as a solid RB2 - or in some expert's mocks, an RB1(!).

I love that Ingram is such a lightning rod. Count me in as being cautiously optimistic. I am weeks away from selling in a redraft and wouldn't even consider it in a dynasty.I don't think he's looked great, but I don't expect him to be a big yardage guy. I like him for his short yardage skills on a great offense.
You could've gotten Mike Tolbert much cheaper.

I love that Ingram is such a lightning rod. Count me in as being cautiously optimistic. I am weeks away from selling in a redraft and wouldn't even consider it in a dynasty.I don't think he's looked great, but I don't expect him to be a big yardage guy. I like him for his short yardage skills on a great offense.
You could've gotten Mike Tolbert much cheaper.
Actually I did. Starks too.

I'm the laughing stock of my league right now and it is only because I listened to FBG.
Really? Even the Chris Johnson and Arian Foster owners are laughing at you? :bag: TWO GAMES IN to a rookie season... easy now... come down off the ledge.

The kid's had no off-season. He's faced two TOUGH run defenses. And Payton has telegraphed his usage.
All three of these are true. What is also true is that Ingram is a very talented guy on a very talented team that will get 1/3rd of the rushing pie (and very few targets in the receiving game).
wrong
You know I meant touches. Point still applies.
Stating percentages or fractions seems like a good way to diminish the potential here. Saints RBs have 68 (SIXTY-EIGHT!!) touches in two games. This is a great offense that is no stranger to red zone and there are touches to share.
Mark Ingram could be the guy that destroys your year in fantasy, especially if you are in ppr's.
Negative.Only case would be if you drafted him in the first couple of rounds and you are a donkey with the waiver wire. And the rest of your team sucks....
Affirmative - if you continue to start Ingram. Negative - if you do not put him in your starting lineup. Your post reads as if you are pro-Ingram for 2011, but then discussing the waiver wire. Are you saying to bench him?
Yes, I am pro Ingram, however, I do think owners should bench him if they have better options.
I am with you on this issue. I got him at 1.1 in my dynasty league, but he has yet to see the field behind Ray Rice, McFadden, and Beanie Wells. He will likely be a bye-week fill-in this first year, but I expect GREAT things from him in the future. Took me a while to see a return on my McFadden 1.1 investment as well. :D

The kid's had no off-season. He's faced two TOUGH run defenses. And Payton has telegraphed his usage.
All three of these are true. What is also true is that Ingram is a very talented guy on a very talented team that will get 1/3rd of the rushing pie (and very few targets in the receiving game).
wrong
You know I meant touches. Point still applies.
Stating percentages or fractions seems like a good way to diminish the potential here. Saints RBs have 68 (SIXTY-EIGHT!!) touches in two games. This is a great offense that is no stranger to red zone and there are touches to share.
Saints homer here, and I think Ingram will get way more touches down the stretch. For all of you that are worried about the % of touches he's getting, keep this in mind: last year in the playoff game against the Seahawks, the Saints were literally down to, like, their 6th or 7th running back (injured: Bush, Pierre, Lynell Hamilton, Chris Ivory, Ladell Betts -- maybe someone else I'm forgetting). The only guy we had left was Julius Jones. Sean Payton has not forgotten about that game. My point: it seems very possible to me that the Saints are deliberately limiting Ingram's touches right now in order to keep him fresh down the stretch.

Hard for a RB to be a top 10 RB in today;s NFL if he isn't involved in the passing game. In fairness Ingram has played 2 good run D's but he doesn't look explosive compared to sproles and Thomas.

Hard for a RB to be a top 10 RB in today;s NFL if he isn't involved in the passing game. In fairness Ingram has played 2 good run D's but he doesn't look explosive compared to sproles and Thomas.
He looks comparable to Thomas but with more power. His vision hasn't been as good as I'd hoped. He's made a few nice cuts, but you can tell he's playing hesitant right now. We'll see if this improves with time.Neither Ingram, nor PT have Sproles' burst. Few do.

It really doesn't matter if you're not explosive when you can break tackles, which he showed he could do against the Bears. Gotta protect the rock though.

To me, it's buy time.I'm seeing all the evidence I need that Ingram is going to get the lion's share of the rushes in an offense that is going to be a frequent visitor to the red zone all year.Everything thus far says to me that his numbers are the result of randomness. This team is STILL going to be right there among the league leaders in red zone rushes, and I firmly believe Ingram is going to be the primary beneficiary.I still like him for 10 TD's this year. Acquire with extreme prejudice. (And if you can do the same for Green-Ellis, go ahead and do that, too.)
Im Benching the Bum until further notice. No tds, no catches and a paltry 3 ypc avg... I like the kid but he has a lousy 7 points in two games.. Hes getting replaced until he can do something. I can't even trade INGRAM for Sproles in a ppr league, thats sad that Sproles has more value because he gets a few dump off passes.
Sproles does much more than catch passes. He's a solid RB, returner, and pass catcher. You should watch more games and not just read stat lines.
haha ok clown, when has sproles had more then 70 carries in a season. He can carry the ball 5 times and is a receiver out of the backfield mostly, and does some returning. I watch the games I never said he wasn't a solid receiver/returner/runner, but he doesn't get many carries.

Ingram isn't getting 1/3 of the rushing pie. He's getting 57% of the RB carries through two games.
And approximately zero percent of the targets.
Correct so far. But I believe a RB getting the majority of the carries on a high-powered offense has good value - especially if you believe that RB has quality talent. I believe Ingram does and I believe the Saints used their first-round pick on him for a reason. That reason was to provide balance to their offense. Ingram's time will come. I believe that.
I hope you are right -- but at the same time other teams are finding ways to use their rookie RB's in ways that make them look good and produce right away (Miami, Washington, etc...) I know it is only 2 weeks but when the regular season is only 12-13 weeks plus playoffs, you cannot afford to be too patient either.
What? He's a rookie RB. If you were not expecting to be patient with a rookie RB then shame on you. Besides, look at his schedule through two games. Take into consideration the light offseason. If there is ever a case to stay patient it's exactly this.
Yes shame on me, but FBG was worshiping this guy all pre-season (and they still are), and had him ranked as the 19th RB on my cheatsheet. They never mentioned in their articles they were only high on him in dynasty only or anything like that, just this guy is a stud that is worth taking in the 2nd-3rd round because he is just that amazing. Lesson learned, but I pay FBG for their expert advice because I am not an expert, and if taking a rookie RB that early is really so obviously foolish then why were these experts pushing him so hard?Lesson learned to say the least. I will never draft a rookie RB again.I'm the laughing stock of my league right now and it is only because I listened to FBG.
yikes man yea thats hard... FBG goes into dynasty mode sometimes and fall in love with rookies like most People that had been hyping Ingram and others. That's brutal man, well next time trust your gut and try to stay focused and filled with knowledge. I drafted Ingram 5th round so it isn't so bad but sorry for your situation.

To me, it's buy time.I'm seeing all the evidence I need that Ingram is going to get the lion's share of the rushes in an offense that is going to be a frequent visitor to the red zone all year.Everything thus far says to me that his numbers are the result of randomness. This team is STILL going to be right there among the league leaders in red zone rushes, and I firmly believe Ingram is going to be the primary beneficiary.I still like him for 10 TD's this year. Acquire with extreme prejudice. (And if you can do the same for Green-Ellis, go ahead and do that, too.)
Im Benching the Bum until further notice. No tds, no catches and a paltry 3 ypc avg... I like the kid but he has a lousy 7 points in two games.. Hes getting replaced until he can do something. I can't even trade INGRAM for Sproles in a ppr league, thats sad that Sproles has more value because he gets a few dump off passes.
Sproles does much more than catch passes. He's a solid RB, returner, and pass catcher. You should watch more games and not just read stat lines.
haha ok clown, when has sproles had more then 70 carries in a season. He can carry the ball 5 times and is a receiver out of the backfield mostly, and does some returning. I watch the games I never said he wasn't a solid receiver/returner/runner, but he doesn't get many carries.
It's unfortunate you have to revert to name calling, so I'm gonna say this and leave it at that. It doesnt matter how many carries you get as long as you score points. I've been a Sproles owner in a dynasty league for the past 3 years, and he has put up solid rb2 #s.You can go back to eating rocks or whatever it is you do :jackass:

4 carries so far today, and Pierre Thomas just had a carry at the 3. This was a HUGE whiff by FBG staff this year.

4 carries so far today, and Pierre Thomas just had a carry at the 3. This was a HUGE whiff by FBG staff this year.
Gotta agree, especially as we saw them throw for a TD inside the 5, yet again. Ingram looks like a development project for dynasty leagues this year. I'm also weary of all the "wait until weeks 14-17 and you'll see Ingram shine" talk. This guy was pimped as a consensus Top30 player and Top15 RB by FBG. Nobody who drafted this guy as a RB2 is going to be still playing in Week 14.The injury to the Saints RT also looked bad....that ain't gonna help them establish any more of a traditional running game.

I am always amazed by the overreaction of people to early season results. Ingram is a guy that everyone said would heat up as the year went on. Let's wait a bit before we write him off for dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
In dynasty leagues he will be gold.

In redrafts this year he may pay off big time as the season progresses. No doubt early in redrafts he is killing teams that went and took him early (I took him in the 5th) but if you watch him play it is so evident he is going to be a monster in this league over the long term.

'SproutDaddy said:
I for one have loved what I've seen from him the past 2 weeks outside of the fumble.
What did you like? His HOF worthy 3.4 YPC? His longest run for 12 yards? His lack of receiving ability? He lack of TD's until late this week in a shoot out? And now this week, he only gets 50% of the RB carries. Oh, he finally got involved in the passing game. He caught 2 balls, but for -3 yards. You're easily impressed, right? I'm not calling the guy a bust, but he hasn't done anything to impress me yet as a rookie...

'SproutDaddy said:
I for one have loved what I've seen from him the past 2 weeks outside of the fumble.
What did you like? His HOF worthy 3.4 YPC? His longest run for 12 yards? His lack of receiving ability? He lack of TD's until late this week in a shoot out? And now this week, he only gets 50% of the RB carries. Oh, he finally got involved in the passing game. He caught 2 balls, but for -3 yards. You're easily impressed, right? I'm not calling the guy a bust, but he hasn't done anything to impress me yet as a rookie...
:yawn:I'm a Saints fan, and I think the kid has a great future. I don't care that he hasnt reached stud status yet, and I don't care if your impressed or not. He's a freakin rookie, so I'm content for now.Since you seem like such an expert why on earth are you not an NFL scout?

The OP invited a lot of this Ingram hate.

Someone start a new Ingram thread that doesn't have the ridiculous HOF reference in the title.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I stated last week, I'm ok with what I've seen from him with the limited opportunities he's gotten, but the opportunity just isn't there to justify where FBGuys had him ranked. As a 7th or 8th round pick with late-season upside, sure, but most people drafted this guy in the 3rd to 5th round if they drafted within 2 weeks of the season starting, when the FBG-hype was at it's peak.

To me, his upside for redraft at this point looks to be Benjarvus Green-Ellis-lite: kill-the-clock mode for a high-powered passing offense that throws 75% of the time in the redzone. Of course, he's still splitting redzone touches with Thomas, which makes his upside even lower than BJGE. BJGE average 63ypg and scored 13 times last season.

With 13 games to go, I think a 65/35 yardage and TD split between Ingram and Thomas is a realistic projection. Expecting an average of more than 100ypg on the ground from this team is overly optimistic, from what I've seen. Give Sproles 15-20 of those yards and that leaves 80-85 for Ingram/Thomas, which leaves Ingram averaging about 50ypg and maybe 7-8tds. 800 total yards and 8 or 9 TDs with no role in the passing game was good for about RB30 last season.

To reiterate, Ingram looks like a good player, but barring an injury to Thomas, I see no way this guy even approaches low-end RB2 numbers, which makes him a good bet for being labeled a bust for where most folks drafted him.

'The Real Hipster Doofus said:
I am always amazed by the overreaction of people to early season results. Ingram is a guy that everyone said would heat up as the year went on. Let's wait a bit before we right him off for dead.
not to mention that he has had 3 pretty tough match-ups......i drafted him hoping that he is the bell-cow in the 2nd half of the year.

'The Real Hipster Doofus said:
I am always amazed by the overreaction of people to early season results. Ingram is a guy that everyone said would heat up as the year went on. Let's wait a bit before we right him off for dead.
not to mention that he has had 3 pretty tough match-ups......i drafted him hoping that he is the bell-cow in the 2nd half of the year.
Keep hope alive. He has shown nothing to warrant a change in carry distribution, unless you want to count Thomas looking much better on less carries as significant...

To reiterate, Ingram looks like a good player, but barring an injury to Thomas, I see no way this guy even approaches low-end RB2 numbers, which makes him a good bet for being labeled a bust for where most folks drafted him.
This. Those that promoted Ingram said he would be worth a 5th round pick (which is where I took him) THIS YEAR. If he's not getting 18+ carries, then he's a bust. I don't care how good he might be in the future. For the vast majority of us, the future is now.

The TD obviously was great to see and I also thought it was a positive that he was involved in the passing game a little bit. The two catches went nowhere but at least this puts something else on film for defenses to have to prepare for when Ingram's on the field. Smart move by Payton.

Different runners. I think it would have been better if someone from FBG had prefaced their expectations in the player spotlight.

Bloom made an excellent point on the Audible that Clinton Portis didnt break out until week 6 his rookie year and went in to 1500 yards. Nothing is guaranteed but he is gaining steam. His schedule is getting easier for a few weeks also.

Dynasty and keeper leagues can show more patience but i wouldnt cut him or give him away in any league.

I thought he looked very good with the carries he got. Saints got down early which took him out of the game. When Saints play with a lead they will feed him the ball much more I think. Plus, he may get more involved in the passing game which will allow him to stay in the game more. I wouldn't write him off as a bust yet.

I thought he looked very good with the carries he got. Saints got down early which took him out of the game. When Saints play with a lead they will feed him the ball much more I think. Plus, he may get more involved in the passing game which will allow him to stay in the game more. I wouldn't write him off as a bust yet.
3rd week in a row ive heard this

Users who are viewing this thread