What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mark Ingram (2 Viewers)

I don't know guys. I was all ready to dump this guy, but then I saw the stat sheet, and now I've changed my mind. 17 carries, 2 receptions. On an offense like New Orleans, that should be good for RB2 numbers on a weekly basis, meaning he will eventually earn his status as a 5th round pick (where I grabbed him). We'll have to wait and see, but I really like the number of touches.
Here's hoping. Obviously there's potential with his pedigree, ability and situation. At this point I'd love to see him hit BJGE's production on a weekly basis. Speaking of which, I'll probably be benching him for....gasp...Ridley or McGahee next week. Ridley has managed to look like the better fantasy play the past 2 weeks...

I have Ingram. I will not be dumping him, but I won't be playing him either. I think that Mark Ingram is the biggest swing and miss that I have seen on Football Guys in a long time. It seems that everyone has been pimping this guy like crazy since the beginning of training camp. He is a huge disappointment. I think there is almost no chance he represents value for his ADP at any time this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just traded him away in dynasty as part of a deal to acquire Lesean McCoy. There is just too much uncertainty around him. Until runners start dropping with injuries, he's going to be tough to start. Sproles isn't going anywhere for a while

It would appear that the back to own in the Saints backfield is Daren Sproles. Ingram just isnt getting enough touches and a between the tackles guy like that needs touches to establish a rhythm. Too many weapons on the Saints and this is still the Drew Brees show.

It's clear that the Saints are just mixing things up. As before the def knew that when Ingram was in the game it was a running play and he was getting the rock but now they are clearing switching things up to counter act what the defs have been doing. Don't give up on Ingram yet, just hold him if you can because a bigger pay day is coming. This is an obvious adjustment by Sean.giddy up
Yep. Payton is setting this up so Ingy gets 3 TDs next week :thumbup:
Oh Kenny, when will you learn? Ingram will be very useful during the bye weeks but an every week RB2 he is not. He's a top 30 back that will finish with 900-1000 total yards and 5-7 tds. It sucks and this kid will be a stud, just not in his current situation.

It's clear that the Saints are just mixing things up. As before the def knew that when Ingram was in the game it was a running play and he was getting the rock but now they are clearing switching things up to counter act what the defs have been doing. Don't give up on Ingram yet, just hold him if you can because a bigger pay day is coming. This is an obvious adjustment by Sean.

giddy up
Oh Kenny, when will you learn? Ingram will be very useful during the bye weeks but an every week RB2 he is not. He's a top 30 back that will finish with 900-1000 total yards and 5-7 tds. It sucks and this kid will be a stud, just not in his current situation.
Three yards and a cloud of bust.

He is killing fantasy teams everywhere. If you are forced to start him, his 5 ppg is not helping you at all...

Kinda disappointed with the hype from FBG on this one. I put my neck out there to get him in a redraft and I look really foolish at this point for doing it. I took him as the 13th RB off the board............

I have Ingram. I will not be dumping him, but I won't be playing him either. I think that Mark Ingram is the biggest swing and miss that I have seen on Football Guys in a long time. It seems that everyone has been pimping this guy like crazy since the beginning of training camp. He is a huge disappointment. I think there is almost no chance he represents value for his ADP at any time this year.
Who was getting drafted around Ingram? D-Will, Jahvid, Greene, Moreno all seem like guys that were going 4th-5th round like Ingram, and have been about as productive as Ingram, except with less potential as the year goes on. Yes, guys in this range like Beanie and Mathews have been great picks, but Ingram is more par for the course with similar ADP RBs than underachieving.

It's clear that the Saints are just mixing things up. As before the def knew that when Ingram was in the game it was a running play and he was getting the rock but now they are clearing switching things up to counter act what the defs have been doing. Don't give up on Ingram yet, just hold him if you can because a bigger pay day is coming. This is an obvious adjustment by Sean.giddy up
I think he still is more likely to finish the year as a RB2 (meaning top 24 RB) than not.BTW, 1000/7 (142pts) wouldve made him RB22 in my league last year.

Kinda disappointed with the hype from FBG on this one. I put my neck out there to get him in a redraft and I look really foolish at this point for doing it. I took him as the 13th RB off the board............
Look foolish posting junk like this. What did FBG put him at like #15 RB. Hype was warranted and #15 aint top 10. So a 3rd or 4th round pick flamed out? Welcome to fantasy football.

I think he still is more likely to finish the year as a RB2 (meaning top 24 RB) than not.BTW, 1000/7 (142pts) wouldve made him RB22 in my league last year.
And 900 yards and 5 tds would be RB33 last year so what does taking the top of both ranges prove?

And 900 yards and 5 tds would be RB33 last year so what does taking the top of both ranges prove?
That I expect his numbers to improve :shrug:He's on pace for 750/4 right now. I think he'll be closer to 1000/7 (if not more) than 900/5 when its all said and done.

Who was getting drafted around Ingram? D-Will, Jahvid, Greene, Moreno all seem like guys that were going 4th-5th round like Ingram, and have been about as productive as Ingram, except with less potential as the year goes on. Yes, guys in this range like Beanie and Mathews have been great picks, but Ingram is more par for the course with similar ADP RBs than underachieving.
:shrug: That's kind of a terrible argument because you're not forced to take a RB. Footballguys was mocking him as a guy to take in the early third and a lot of people were pushing him as a late second right before the season started. In my leagues he went from the end of the second to late fourth. The hype just kept gaining steam as the season got closer. There were a ton of other options there that have produced monster numbers if you focused on other areas and waited another 3-6 rounds to get a RB like Sproles, Stewart, or Tolbert that are giving better production.

Sure early picks bust all the time, but who the heck wants to deal with it!? Just be a bit more hesitant when drafting a rookie that high next year and move on.

:shrug: That's kind of a terrible argument because you're not forced to take a RB. Footballguys was mocking him as a guy to take in the early third and a lot of people were pushing him as a late second right before the season started. In my leagues he went from the end of the second to late fourth. The hype just kept gaining steam as the season got closer. There were a ton of other options there that have produced monster numbers if you focused on other areas and waited another 3-6 rounds to get a RB like Sproles, Stewart, or Tolbert that are giving better production.

Sure early picks bust all the time, but who the heck wants to deal with it!? Just be a bit more hesitant when drafting a rookie that high next year and move on.
I wasnt really following where his ADP was according to FBGs, but I certainly didnt consider him a 3rd rounder and would make fun of someone if they took him in the 2nd. Took him last pick of the 4th and 1st pick of the 5th in my 2 leagues. Im still not convinced his end of the year numbers dont warrant that.I see what youre saying as far as other positions argument, I just think if you needed a RB and took Ingram 4th-5th he really isnt a bust compared to most other RBs in that ballpark. Now if you went upside-down strategy, I probably wouldnt have taken him either that early because you want a more proven RB even if their upside isnt that of Ingram.

I wasnt really following where his ADP was according to FBGs, but I certainly didnt consider him a 3rd rounder and would make fun of someone if they took him in the 2nd. Took him last pick of the 4th and 1st pick of the 5th in my 2 leagues. Im still not convinced his end of the year numbers dont warrant that.I see what youre saying as far as other positions argument, I just think if you needed a RB and took Ingram 4th-5th he really isnt a bust compared to most other RBs in that ballpark.
Truth.To be fair as well this could very well be the low water mark for the season. I certainly don't expect Pierre Thomas to be outscoring him the entire season.

It would appear that the back to own in the Saints backfield is Daren Sproles. Ingram just isnt getting enough touches and a between the tackles guy like that needs touches to establish a rhythm. Too many weapons on the Saints and this is still the Drew Brees show.
Agreed. Ingram averaging 14.25 touches per gameSproles averaging 10.25 (not including returns)Thomas averaging 9.5 So while Ingram is getting the most touches, he's doing far less with them and he seems like the type that needs more to be productive vs a guy like Sproles who can break off a huge play anytime. The FB 1 yard TD today was just icing on the cake. Ingram is a semi-bust so far. But certainly not droppable like some people are saying.

What do you feel about P. Thomas here; his season stats dwarf Ingram's and play closer to Sproles'. How much longer will NOR give Ingram to establish himself, while Thomas is putting up more with less touches. Is Thomas still recovering from last year's knee injury; is he out of Payton's doghouse?

Agreed. Ingram averaging 14.25 touches per gameSproles averaging 10.25 (not including returns)Thomas averaging 9.5 So while Ingram is getting the most touches, he's doing far less with them and he seems like the type that needs more to be productive vs a guy like Sproles who can break off a huge play anytime. The FB 1 yard TD today was just icing on the cake. Ingram is a semi-bust so far. But certainly not droppable like some people are saying.
You would be insane to drop him at this point. This is typically the rub with a lot of rookie RBs, they start slow and come on strong to end the season. I just didn't expect to see fellow rookie RBs like Thomas and even Ridley break out before Ingram.

There is precedence to that FB play too. I recall a Saints game where their little used FB scored multiple TDs.

I just traded him away in dynasty as part of a deal to acquire Lesean McCoy. There is just too much uncertainty around him. Until runners start dropping with injuries, he's going to be tough to start. Sproles isn't going anywhere for a while
its ok to admit you were wrong

'jbz said:
There is precedence to that FB play too. I recall a Saints game where their little used FB scored multiple TDs.
Carney? Something like that. Anyway, I think with bye weeks coming, Ingram owners have no choice but to put him in the line-up. Would be a nice time to have a good game.

'pittstownkiller said:
'Breesisdaman said:
What do you feel about P. Thomas here; his season stats dwarf Ingram's and play closer to Sproles'. How much longer will NOR give Ingram to establish himself, while Thomas is putting up more with less touches. Is Thomas still recovering from last year's knee injury; is he out of Payton's doghouse?
I dont think any back is in Paytons dog house. PT is very solid and has ran hard when he has had the chance. Payton likes all his backs and that appears to be the problem as far as anyone emerging fantasy wise. It will be worse when Ivory comes back.

'pittstownkiller said:
'Breesisdaman said:
I dont think any back is in Paytons dog house. PT is very solid and has ran hard when he has had the chance. Payton likes all his backs and that appears to be the problem as far as anyone emerging fantasy wise. It will be worse when Ivory comes back.
OOF! I almost forgot about Ivory. It's like piss in my cheerios.

'pittstownkiller said:
'Breesisdaman said:
OOF! I almost forgot about Ivory. It's like piss in my cheerios.
Ivory will almost certainly be a healthy scratch on gamedays.

Well, I'm eating it hard on this one. I feel like the opportunities have been (and continue to be) there, but they're just not turning into production. Sorry if I convinced anybody in a redraft that trading Ingram early would be a mistake. :(

My strategy of loading up on WR talent early this year is keeping me afloat, but the particular RB's I stocked up on in the middle are becoming a real albatross. Thank god I managed to avoid guys like Beanie and Fred, while nabbing Hightower and Ingram. Oof.

Well, I'm eating it hard on this one. I feel like the opportunities have been (and continue to be) there, but they're just not turning into production. Sorry if I convinced anybody in a redraft that trading Ingram early would be a mistake. :(My strategy of loading up on WR talent early this year is keeping me afloat, but the particular RB's I stocked up on in the middle are becoming a real albatross. Thank god I managed to avoid guys like Beanie and Fred, while nabbing Hightower and Ingram. Oof.
This is basically my situation, as well.Rather than taking Fred, Beanie or Mathews, I took Felix, Ingram, and DeAngelo. Ruh roh.Ingram has to be a stash and wait (redraft) at this point. I won't drop him because I do think there is a good chance he turns it on and there is no one worth grabbing on the wire in my league. YMMV.

Well, I'm eating it hard on this one. I feel like the opportunities have been (and continue to be) there, but they're just not turning into production. Sorry if I convinced anybody in a redraft that trading Ingram early would be a mistake. :(My strategy of loading up on WR talent early this year is keeping me afloat, but the particular RB's I stocked up on in the middle are becoming a real albatross. Thank god I managed to avoid guys like Beanie and Fred, while nabbing Hightower and Ingram. Oof.
True but they were high on Nicks last year and he was a hit. Gotta give them some slack.

I want to temper the enthusiasm just a bit. As an Ingram owner I've watched all three of the NO games and Ingram is on the field for only about 1/3 of the offensive snaps. The good news is he has been getting the goal line duty and had a TD last week.

The one thing we haven't seen is the Saints with a significant lead, but something tells me that the Saints will keep an even ratio between Pierre and Ingram even then, just with more of them and less Sproles. So even best case, I think you're only looking at about 40% of the offensive snaps (they split 80%, Sproles with 20%).

33-40% of the snaps is not conducive to big production. TDs are his only saving grace until either one of the other two gets hurt or Ingram outperforms Thomas between the 20s and earns a bigger share.
This + playing from behind (GB & Houston's high powered O's and good D's) + short training camp + rookie = RB2-RB3 this year. The cream will rise to the top, gotta give it time to develop. Anyone that drafted Ingram in a redraft to be a RB1/RB2 was, dare I say it, a bit foolish.
So then you also agree that FBG was, dare I say it, a bit foolish for recommending Ingram as a RB1/RB2 in redraft leagues?
FBG's loved him. I don't know if they have backed off that any since the preseason. But anyone who did "Waldman's" upsidedown drafting, probably ended up with Ingram as a RB1 or RB2. The assumption was that if FBG's was right, they'd have a sleeper RB to anchor a powerhouse receiving corp. It has been frustrating for Ingram owners, but I think last week was a glimpse of things to come. He had no training camp or OTA's and it's tough for rookie RB's to acclimate. Had this been a normal offseason, Ingram would have broken out by now. I am tempering optimism, but I think he's only going to improve from here on out and find a higher steady floor in all formats.
Upside-down drafting is about quantity, not quality, at RB. The goal is to draft multiple high upside guys and hope that you get 1 or 2 productive RBs out of it. Anyone that went upside-down and was assuming Ingram would be a RB1 missed the point.
Very well said. I did this last year with Matthews. Learned my lesson. If you're even counting on a rookie as a RB 2, then you're doing it wrong.
I won my league a while back going edge in the 2nd and ricky williams in the third (when they were rookies).But those were both very different situations.

In fact I would say FBG's were more than clear about their disdain for the notion that Ingram was not going to have an ADP like rookie year.

exhibit A: Kffl Blog: Temper enthusiasm on Mark Ingram Payton's history suggest no more than a rb3 in 2011 (note this was not a dynasty indict: the author of the piece even said so)

I'm in the camp that believes Ingram will not have a season that makes him any better than a No. 3 back in fantasy football circles.

Don't get me wrong. I love (almost) everything about Ingram. I even took him with the No. 1 pick in my dynasty league's rookie draft the other day.

He has the potential to be an elite NFL back. However, I don't think he is capable of doing it in New Orleans this season.

where many of them step in and say that the notion that Ingram was going to be a RB3, that maybe had RB2 upside was scoffed and and specifically debunked by many, many staffers.

'Sigmund Bloom said:
Payton had Deuce run the ball almost 250 times in 06 and thats with Bush getting over 150 carries and 88 receptions. This is bunk, backwards-looking analysis. Payton has RBBC out of necessity, not preference.
'Jason Wood said:
'mjm3773 said:
It's subscriber content, but in the Mark Ingram Spotlight, Jason Wood presents an excellent article debunking a couple of the KFFL claims. Wood states 1) that Sean Payton has run RBBC recently not out of philosophy, but out of necessity, between injuries and never having had a back of Ingram's talent; and 2) that the NO offense is not too pass happy to have a workhorse RB, and that the coaching staff has realized NO has had the best team results (a Super Bowl win and a NFC Championship Game loss) when the team has had a more balanced offensive attack than when they've been more pass-oriented.
:thumbup: Seeing as how I think this is one of THE most misanalyzed issues in "other" fantasy circles, I'm going to post the contents of my Spotlight here:

Mark Ingram is one of the running backs that can make your team a championship contender in 2011, thanks to a combination of great talent, a great situation, and misplaced skepticism which is keeping his average draft position lower than it should be.

A Prototypical NFL Workhorse

Mark Ingram was drafted in the 1st round after a stellar collegiate career. For those who don't pay a lot of attention to the college game, Ingram not only dominated, but he dominated in the SEC --- the nation's most competitive and talent-laden league. As a sophomore (2009), Ingram became the University of Alabama's first every Heisman Trophy winner, on route to a national championship. He logged 271 carries for 1,678 yards and 17 touchdowns, and was effective as a receiver, too --- with 32 receptions for 334 yards and 3 TDs. Had Ingram come out after his sophomore season, he might have been a top 10 pick, but he opted to return to Alabama where it was expected he would compete for another national championship and --- possibly --- back-to-back Heismans. A minor knee injury derailed that plan, and Ingram ended up running for only 875 yards and 13 TDs. But that didn't derail NFL scouts from viewing him as the best back in college, and the most NFL-ready tailback to hit the league in years.

Ingram is 5'9" and 215 pounds and runs with a low center of gravity, decisiveness, and power. Our own Matt Waldman, who pens the fantastic Rookie Scouting Portfolio, had this to say about Ingram:

Ingram is one of the smartest runners I've seen. He makes great reads, presses the hole, and he has the rare ability to set up defenders a step ahead of the game. These are the skills that not only made Emmitt Smith, LaDainian Tomlinson, and Edgerrin James stars, but it also gave them longevity and productivity as their physical gifts declined.

Ingram has an explosive burst and he accelerates from his cuts, which combined with his patience makes him a dangerous player. However, Ingram's grind-it-out power and terrific balance is a dimension of his game that will make him a back that an offense can ride to preserve a lead. His pass protection techniques are good enough that with additional study he'll become a back that only leaves the field when he needs a break.

A quality about Ingram that's evident on film that isn't a technique is Ingram's passion and killer instinct. I believe he's going to be the player who consistently makes the big plays that make a difference in a game. In this respect, he also reminds me of Frank Gore --- another back with great vision, power, balance, and strong acceleration.

DEBUNKING THE MISCONCEPTIONS

Misconception #1 --- Rookie RBs are a bad investment

Fantasy football owners have short memories. It's a "what have you done for me lately" mindset for most of them, and that's often an opportunity for the more astute of you who can look back at history. While the last few seasons haven't produced an immediate star rookie RB, there's plenty of precedent to suggest it's been a fluke. In fact, it wasn't that long ago that if a rookie RB struggled; it was a condemnation on their overall future. After all, the RB position is one of the most instinctive --- and that's why rookie tailbacks have historically been able to step right in and make an impact.

[*]Matt Forte finished RB4 as a rookie in 2008

[*]Steve Slaton finished RB6 as a rookie in the same year

[*]Chris Johnson wasn't a top 10 RB as a rookie, but he was RB11 (in 2008)

[*]Adrian Peterson finished as the #3 fantasy RB in 2007

[*]Marshawn Lynch was RB12 in 2007

[*]Maurice Jones-Drew was the #8 RB in 2006

[*]Joseph Addai was RB11, also in 2006

So let's recap, although the rookie RBs in 2009 and 2010 didn't produce elite stats out of the gate, the three prior seasons were terrific. 7 rookie RBs produced fantasy RB1 numbers over those three seasons, an enviable hit rate.

Misconception #2 --- Sean Payton insists on a running back-by-committee

The Saints head coach Sean Payton has become one of the most respected offensive minds in football --- with good reason. In his five seasons as head coach, the Saints have ranked 1st, 4th, 1st, 1st, and 6th in total yards, and 5th, 12th, 1st, 1st, and 11th in total scoring. With that kind of success, it's understandable that many fantasy owners would think, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." But GREAT coaches aren't unyielding, they're always adjusting to their situations. Payton understands that the NFL adapts, and if you can't evolve from year to year, you're doomed.

How is this relevant to Ingram's fantasy success? Because too many people are fixating on the fact that Sean Payton has never had a workhorse back in New Orleans. First of all, the notion that Payton never had a workhorse in untrue. In 2006 --- his first season at the helm --- Payton had Deuce McAllister, and gave him 244 carries and 30 receptions. 274 touches is "work horse" in today's NFL, and if Mark Ingram gets 270+ touches, he's going to demolish expectations.

Now let's take a look at what Payton had to work with in 2007-2010:

2007 --- Reggie Bush led the Saints with 157 carries, and Aaron Stecker had 114 carries. Pierre Thomas was the third option with 50 carries. Both Bush and Thomas only appeared in 12 games and Stecker --- while heroic that year --- was an extremely limited talent.

2008 --- The top three rushers were Pierre Thomas (129 carries), Reggie Bush (106) and Deuce McAllister (107). McAllister was coming back from a major injury and was on his last legs, Bush missed six games (and was banged up for several others), and Thomas missed time, and only really earned reps toward the end of the season.

2009 --- The top three rushers were Mike Bell (172 carries), Pierre Thomas (147) and Reggie Bush (70). Once again, all three runners missed games, and were banged up in others. And once again neither Thomas nor Bell were ever considered elite talents, while Bush (an elite talent) hasn't given the coaches any reason to think he could handle a heavy workload now four years into his disappointing career.

2010 --- A veritable M.A.S.H. unit as unheralded rookie Chris Ivory led the team with 137 carries, but missed four games. Pierre Thomas (10 games), Reggie Bush (8 games), Ladell Betts (8 games) and Julius Jones (6 games) all missed SIGNIFICANT portions of the season.

Long story short, Sean Payton hasn't used a committee for philosophical reasons; he's done so because he HAD NO CHOICE. He hasn't had healthy backs with the talent to handle 20+ touches in a game. Mark Ingram is the tonic to what ails the Saints running game. Payton will see Ingram as the weapon he's been trying to do without for years, and no longer has to.

Misconception #3 --- The Saints are too pass happy to support a workhorse RB

This is the most absurd of the major misconceptions, yet I have heard far too many "pundits" throw it out there as a reason to discount Mark Ingram's fantasy outlook. A quick look at the Saints run/pass ratios each year tells the story:

Year Atts Rush %Pass %Run Postseason

2006 580 469 55.3% 44.7% L,ConfChamp

2007 653 384 63.0% 37.0% NoPlayoffs

2008 636 391 61.9% 38.1% NoPlayoffs

2009 543 465 53.9% 46.1% W,SuperBowl

2010 658 376 63.6% 36.4% L,WildCard

I can't emphasize this enough. In the three years where New Orleans threw the ball more than 60% of the time, the Saints either missed the playoffs completely or bowed out in the first round. In the two seasons when they had more balance, they advance deep into the playoffs once and WON THE SUPER BOWL the other instance. Do you honestly think that wasn't FRONT AND CENTER on the minds of Coach Payton and the Saints personnel department on the day they decided to trade back into the first round to draft Mark Ingram?
:banned:
Now it is unfair to call out the FBGers on every single call they made, but they pretty clearly thought that this was going to be MUCH different than the apologists in this thread are trying to spin it. Time to bump this thread I guess.

This is basically my situation, as well.Rather than taking Fred, Beanie or Mathews, I took Felix, Ingram, and DeAngelo. Ruh roh.
Yep. Mendenhall-Felix-DeAngelo-Ingram-Hightower. No wonder Im 0-4 :X

I said it in another thread and I'll say it in this one. In re-draft, I'd be scared. Sell if you can, but make sure you get good value and someone with a higher upside. Ingram is a Sproles or Thomas injury away from getting 22 touches a game, and you will be sorry you sold.

In dynasty, hold and deal with it.

From a talent perspective, Ingram hasn't disappointed me. He is strong and powerful. I haven't watched the last two weeks, so I'll have to look at the FBG game recaps and possibly go watch some film to see what happened, but I know in the first two weeks, it seems like when he is on the field it's telegraphed that they are going to run.

That sometimes happens with young rb's. If Thomas is the better blocker, perhaps defenses know (as one of the Packers defenders said) that when Ingram enters the game, he is probably going to get the ball. Don't think that doesn't affect things.

Trust me, this guy will be a stud.

For 3 years I've compared him to Emmitt Smith, and I still love the comparison. Smith's first four games:

2 rushes 2 yards

6 rushes 11 yards

17 rushes 63 yards

12 rushes 28 yards

Smith finished the year with 937 yards and 11 td's.

I still think 1,000 yards and 10td's is my expectation for Ingram, and I still think he'll get there.

Just give the guy some time. The Saints are winning and they will continue to work him into the offense and the touchdowns will come.

Ingram is really starting to scare me and has been super unproductive. I guess the only good thing about Ingram is his 17carries and 2 catches... Maybe the more times he gets 15-20 carries, the better chance he has to break out. I know he will break out here soon I would think, he is a good talent, Don't understand why it isn't converting so far on the field. Frustrating. I need him to be a strong 3 possibly 2 behind Best, Mcgahee in a ppr league.

Ingram is really starting to scare me and has been super unproductive. I guess the only good thing about Ingram is his 17carries and 2 catches... Maybe the more times he gets 15-20 carries, the better chance he has to break out. I know he will break out here soon I would think, he is a good talent, Don't understand why it isn't converting so far on the field. Frustrating. I need him to be a strong 3 possibly 2 behind Best, Mcgahee in a ppr league.
I need to find out the truth of my theory that Ingram gets the ball when he is on the field. Does anyone know where you can find the number of snaps in which a player is on the field?I'd love to get that info for this past weeks' games.

Certainly? No I think the Saints would not have cut Joique Bell if they didnt anticipate Ivory returning and helping this rushing game. Bell was running very hard and deserved a roster spot otherwise. I have no idea if Ivory is the same guy now than he was before the injury, if he is the same guy that ran last year he will command some carries.[

Certainly? No I think the Saints would not have cut Joique Bell if they didnt anticipate Ivory returning and helping this rushing game. Bell was running very hard and deserved a roster spot otherwise. I have no idea if Ivory is the same guy now than he was before the injury, if he is the same guy that ran last year he will command some carries.

[
I'm sure they did keep him to help the running game if one of the three active backs were to get injured. Unless he's playing special teams also, there would be zero reason for a pass-first team to have four active running backs on gameday.

Weekly range for Ingram: 5ish pts, plus the prayer for a TD or two.

This is as it stands today, but clearly the coaches are making a concerted effort to keep him involved. He is a quantity rather than quality touch RB, so as long as it's a 1/3 share, it's not going to be enough to please the masses. Especially when he's getting vultured, instead of vulturing. Not getting Saints goal line duty would make him completely unstartable, so we'll have to see if that trend continues.

True but they were high on Nicks last year and he was a hit. Gotta give them some slack.
They? They who?

Well, I'm eating it hard on this one. I feel like the opportunities have been (and continue to be) there, but they're just not turning into production. Sorry if I convinced anybody in a redraft that trading Ingram early would be a mistake. :(

My strategy of loading up on WR talent early this year is keeping me afloat, but the particular RB's I stocked up on in the middle are becoming a real albatross. Thank god I managed to avoid guys like Beanie and Fred, while nabbing Hightower and Ingram. Oof.
They? They who?
LinkThat's Dodds. Maurile had him 9th. The other guys had him in the early to mid teens.

ESPN had him 24th.

Ingram smells of LaGarret Blount circa 2010. No mini-camp. Struggled to pick things up. Passing game came on and opened things up for some rushing. Blount flourished in the 2nd half of the season after realizing his potential. Caddy took a back seat and Blount started hurdling DB's like he was in the Olympics. NO has been meddling offensively instead of getting up comfortably due to some tough/tight matchups with some high powered O's and stingy D's against the run. Ingram needs a few games with some consistent drives to get into a groove so we can see what he's capable of. I do think he'll find his confidence in this run of 5 games ahead. He may not be the ROY, but if you notice, no other rookie RB is exactly taking off after the prize either.

Definitely appears that he may be on the way to disappointing those who were bullish about him (myself included). I would actually feel better about him if he were doing more with each touch. To me the 19 touches is NOT encouraging because he didn't do enough with them. He's not showing the talent we all expected, which would force Sean Payton to play him. The argument we supporters put forth was that even if it started as a committee, Ingram's abilities would be so readily apparent that he would force the coaches' hand and earn significantly more reps within a few weeks. That hasn't happened, yet, and certainly anyone that took him in the 3rd/4th/5th rounds is feeling the pain right now (I'm one of you).

He's too enticing to drop, but if you have to have him in your lineup right now, you've likely gotten off to a rocky start.

Ingram smells of LaGarret Blount circa 2010. No mini-camp. Struggled to pick things up. Passing game came on and opened things up for some rushing. Blount flourished in the 2nd half of the season after realizing his potential. Caddy took a back seat and Blount started hurdling DB's like he was in the Olympics. NO has been meddling offensively instead of getting up comfortably due to some tough/tight matchups with some high powered O's and stingy D's against the run. Ingram needs a few games with some consistent drives to get into a groove so we can see what he's capable of. I do think he'll find his confidence in this run of 5 games ahead. He may not be the ROY, but if you notice, no other rookie RB is exactly taking off after the prize either.
I like the Blount parallel. Blount's fourth game (I think it was around Week 7) where he went for 120 and two TDs against the terrible Arizona rush defense earned him more attention and carries and he never looked back. Ingram needs a game like that. And right on cue, the Saints head to Charlotte this week to face the Panthers and their 31st ranked rush defense. If Ingram is going to be useful from a fantasy perspective in 2011 I think this is the week he has to show it.

He's too enticing to drop, but if you have to have him in your lineup right now, you've likely gotten off to a rocky start.
I have him in two leagues. I've started him every week as my RB3 in one league and I've only started him once in the other league. I'm doing much better in the league where I've started him each week. I wouldn't say there's a significant difference in the talent on the two rosters. It's just a crazy game sometimes and impossible to predict.

Ingram is a bust? OK I guess in 4-game FF seasons, sorry to those over-enthusiastic owners that missed the play-offs.

And if he's a bust, so is Mendenhall, Arian Foster (well, he had 1 good game), Chris Johnson, Shonn Greene, Michael Turner, Hillis, SJax, Jahvid Best, and Gore?

Bottom line, if you thought Ingram was going to anchor your RB's out of the gate... you're not a gambler, you are a contributor.

I like the Blount parallel. Blount's fourth game (I think it was around Week 7) where he went for 120 and two TDs against the terrible Arizona rush defense earned him more attention and carries and he never looked back. Ingram needs a game like that. And right on cue, the Saints head to Charlotte this week to face the Panthers and their 31st ranked rush defense. If Ingram is going to be useful from a fantasy perspective in 2011 I think this is the week he has to show it.

Users who are viewing this thread