Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Computer Help!

My wife is a special ed-teacher and they have this wonderful policy at her school of each teacher storing grades on flash drives and then they each give their drives to my wife so she can do the report cards. Great in theory. The problem is these teachers do not just store grades on these things--there's personal items, videos, music, vuruses, etc. After she attempted to load the grade files from one of the drives the other night, our machine's performance immediately fell off until finally this morning it is a mess.

It is running Windows Vista (which I hate), but when you turn the machine on it will go through the boot process only to get me an error screen telling me a Windows System file is missing or corrupt. I have the Vista Recovery disc so all I need to do is get a prompt or some break to access the disc and do the repair.

I have tried hitting DEL to get into the Bios setup screen, which I can get to, but then the keyboard does not work and I can't change any of the options. So reboot, then try and hit F8 to get into Safe mode, great I can get into that too, but again the keyboard will not work and safe mode defaults to highlighting "Start Windows Normally". It counts down and then back to the error screen. I did manage to do some F12 trick that got me an option to boot from disc/cd, but of course, none of the keys work to make this happen.

I have tried plugging the keyboard in other ports and I actually tried another keyboard--both didn't work. I have not tried to change my monitor however ( :P )

Thoughts on how I can access this disc or is this drive toast? This is a newer 1 TB drive so I am not happy with my wife because I warned her this might happen. She has her own laptop she can do this stuff with and not my i7 machine... :hot:

The keyboard work to get you into bios but then doesn't work? So the F keys work.

Have you tried any other keys besides the arrow buttons while trying to select anything? Try turning off number lock and using 2/4/6/8 as arrows or try hitting the scroll lock button and then using the arrow keys.

The keyboard work to get you into bios but then doesn't work? So the F keys work. Have you tried any other keys besides the arrow buttons while trying to select anything? Try turning off number lock and using 2/4/6/8 as arrows or try hitting the scroll lock button and then using the arrow keys.

Yeah, I have tried every key including the number pad. Nothing works. The option is highlighted on the screen (like in Bios set up it is the date is the first choice) and you can't move it with any of the keys. Tab, shift, page up will not get you a different choice.I am going to try and do a Bios power reset tonight and see if that does something.

The keyboard work to get you into bios but then doesn't work? So the F keys work. Have you tried any other keys besides the arrow buttons while trying to select anything? Try turning off number lock and using 2/4/6/8 as arrows or try hitting the scroll lock button and then using the arrow keys.

Yeah, I have tried every key including the number pad. Nothing works. The option is highlighted on the screen (like in Bios set up it is the date is the first choice) and you can't move it with any of the keys. Tab, shift, page up will not get you a different choice.I am going to try and do a Bios power reset tonight and see if that does something.
give this a try. also, try booting with no peripherals plugged into the computer except the keyboard. what is the exact model of your computer? Is the keyboard a usb keyboard? Might she have damaged the USB port? Does the computer have a ps/2 input to plug in a keyboard? you might try a keyboard that uses that input and see if it works.

Thoughts on how I can access this disc or is this drive toast? This is a newer 1 TB drive so I am not happy with my wife because I warned her this might happen. She has her own laptop she can do this stuff with and not my i7 machine... :hot:

I would imagine the drive is fine. Plug it in a second computer as a slave drive and get the files off of it you want.

First of all, thanks for all the help.

I am at work and do not have the exact model, but it is an Cyberpower machine with an Asus i7 MOBO. It is a USB keyboard and I have tried it in several different ports to no avail. I will try to disconnect everything tonight and try that reboot as well as the Bios power idea. I will look to see if it has the ps/2 port, I do not think it does however.

It is good to have options. My concern was buying a new HD and then doing a clean install on Windows 7 would mean buying a new copy of 7 and not an upgrade version. I could go OEM version thru Newegg I guess, but would rather buy one of the 3 license versions because my daughter's laptop has Vista as well and I would like to upgrade that one too.

First of all, thanks for all the help.I am at work and do not have the exact model, but it is an Cyberpower machine with an Asus i7 MOBO. It is a USB keyboard and I have tried it in several different ports to no avail. I will try to disconnect everything tonight and try that reboot as well as the Bios power idea. I will look to see if it has the ps/2 port, I do not think it does however.It is good to have options. My concern was buying a new HD and then doing a clean install on Windows 7 would mean buying a new copy of 7 and not an upgrade version. I could go OEM version thru Newegg I guess, but would rather buy one of the 3 license versions because my daughter's laptop has Vista as well and I would like to upgrade that one too.

i doubt its the drive. Especially if the keyboard isnt working in the BIOS. that smells of an hardware issue. Possibly by inserting/removing a bunch of usb drives. was anything else changed on this workstation during that time? might it have been dropped? any RAM added

First of all, thanks for all the help.

I am at work and do not have the exact model, but it is an Cyberpower machine with an Asus i7 MOBO. It is a USB keyboard and I have tried it in several different ports to no avail. I will try to disconnect everything tonight and try that reboot as well as the Bios power idea. I will look to see if it has the ps/2 port, I do not think it does however.

It is good to have options. My concern was buying a new HD and then doing a clean install on Windows 7 would mean buying a new copy of 7 and not an upgrade version. I could go OEM version thru Newegg I guess, but would rather buy one of the 3 license versions because my daughter's laptop has Vista as well and I would like to upgrade that one too.

i doubt its the drive. Especially if the keyboard isnt working in the BIOS. that smells of an hardware issue. Possibly by inserting/removing a bunch of usb drives. was anything else changed on this workstation during that time? might it have been dropped? any RAM added

Nope, just the drives in and out.

Tried both ideas from above....no go. Keyboard works fine until you get to BIOS setup screen or Safe mode screen, then dies completely.

Interesting of note, when I disconnected everything, I did get a screen asking to boot from cd/dvd, but can't do anything with it.

Ahh...found the problem...Sony software

We just installed this software that night, but I can't get to a command prompt to fix it. My wife may be off the hook...

Archived