Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Choose my next show

Chaka

172 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Didn't see other option, so I will vote for Sons of Anarchy or Breaking Bad.

Other options make these too difficult, I didn't want to cloud the field. I put a lot of time in the entertainment threads, I know the other options SoA was a serious consideration but it didn't make this cut, it's probably one I will get to eventually.And I am already completely invested in BB. Can't wait for the next season to start.
I too was a SoA (SAMCRO to those in the know) skeptic until just a few weeks ago. Now I'm a big fan. If you like the dramatic rollercoaster of BB you'll really dig SoA. It is a very fun show to watch. Sometimes they play fast and loose with the concept of realism but the outcome is worth it.
I'm sorry but I just can't take a recommendation from a Battlestar Galactier denier.
Obviously that means I have good taste.
Tanner, please stop.
Never
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not dodds. I have never seen sfu. :shrug:Check out sfu then ww. Lots of good series in the last decade or so.

Oh, my bad. Sorry. I'm not closing out the poll just yet but it looks like SFU and WW are going to be the ones to watch with The League as my mid season replacement to mix it up.

Didn't see other option, so I will vote for Sons of Anarchy or Breaking Bad.

Other options make these too difficult, I didn't want to cloud the field. I put a lot of time in the entertainment threads, I know the other options SoA was a serious consideration but it didn't make this cut, it's probably one I will get to eventually.And I am already completely invested in BB. Can't wait for the next season to start.
I too was a SoA (SAMCRO to those in the know) skeptic until just a few weeks ago. Now I'm a big fan. If you like the dramatic rollercoaster of BB you'll really dig SoA. It is a very fun show to watch. Sometimes they play fast and loose with the concept of realism but the outcome is worth it.
I'm sorry but I just can't take a recommendation from a Battlestar Galactica denier.
Obviously that means I have good taste.
Tanner, please stop.
Never
Damn, I was certain that was gonna work too.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

Did someone switch wikki's meds again?

My doctor's got me on a trial with something new to help me with my frottage issues. The only problem is that it has a side effect of triggering a higher volume of flashbacks, of which i was already having plenty, thank you. My flashbacks are heavily peopled by Humbah, Zumbah, Jumbah, Jingbah and, especially, Zingzingzingbah - the entire Boobah gang. The baked beans on my stove, the scrubbing bubbles in my tub, the twins next door, my shoulder pimples all turn into Boobahs, inviting me to be plush and spin in no particular pattern and sproing my dilated pupils all about, when i look at them for long. Show's been off the air for five years, but they're with me every day, so it has to be a grrrreat show, right?!. BooooooooooBaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!

My doctor's got me on a trial with something new to help me with my frottage issues. The only problem is that it has a side effect of triggering a higher volume of flashbacks, of which i was already having plenty, thank you. My flashbacks are heavily peopled by Humbah, Zumbah, Jumbah, Jingbah and, especially, Zingzingzingbah - the entire Boobah gang. The baked beans on my stove, the scrubbing bubbles in my tub, the twins next door, my shoulder pimples all turn into Boobahs, inviting me to be plush and spin in no particular pattern and sproing my dilated pupils all about, when i look at them for long. Show's been off the air for five years, but they're with me every day, so it has to be a grrrreat show, right?!. BooooooooooBaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!
They have medications for that? :unsure:

Aren't you, like, 60 years old? Still get the shoulder pimples?

Aren't you, like, 60 years old? Still get the shoulder pimples?
who knows?! there could be Boobahs on my shoulders & i'm hallucinating that they're pimples.....

They have medications for that? :unsure:
yeah, it's weird - the new psychotropic, Bumpitol, doesnt lessen the urge to rub up against strangers in public but makes one deathly afraid of others rubbing up against you. Now, even when i hop a bus just to cop one of those lunch burritos sold by the guy with the cooler (Albuquerque's finest cuisine), i'm launched into a psychosexual limbo that is honestly quite delicious. Just wish they could do something about the side effe.....ZINGZINGZINGBaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!

Only show I have some familiarity with on your list is Jericho, and I thought it was kinda meh.

Put me in as another vote for Sons of Anarchy. Starting Season 3 tonight or tomorrow night.

I am a big Buffy geek, so that easily gets my vote. Be warned if you start that Season 1 is hit or miss, and there are some cheesy episodes, but I think Seasons 2 and 3 are fantastic.

Most shows take time to truly find their voice (most never get the chance) but you can still see the potential early on. Buffy always looked really cheesy to me but I know there is more to it than what you see on the surface.

I thought it might have been a mistake to not include Sons of Anarchy when I made this poll. Then Sconchlias went off on how awesome it was so I know for an absolute fact that it must be crap.

I am a big Buffy geek, so that easily gets my vote. Be warned if you start that Season 1 is hit or miss, and there are some cheesy episodes, but I think Seasons 2 and 3 are fantastic.

Most shows take time to truly find their voice (most never get the chance) but you can still see the potential early on. Buffy always looked really cheesy to me but I know there is more to it than what you see on the surface.

Thought so too - it is a show about vampires and witches. I got sucked in by the humor and heart of the show though.

I am doing a similar search for a TV show to get into. I have watched so little TV in the last decade. I am thinking I should narrow it down to a show that is already done, so I don't watch a couple seasons and then have to wait for it to come out again (a reason I haven't started with Dexter, Breaking Bad, or Mad Men).

Thought so too - it is a show about vampires and witches. I got sucked in by the humor and heart of the show though.

I am doing a similar search for a TV show to get into. I have watched so little TV in the last decade. I am thinking I should narrow it down to a show that is already done, so I don't watch a couple seasons and then have to wait for it to come out again (a reason I haven't started with Dexter, Breaking Bad, or Mad Men).

Buffy comes highly recommended to me by people I trust, but they're genre specific types (i.e. :nerd:) and I wanted broader perspective for this poll. I know I will watch Buffy eventually, it's just a matter of when.

I presume you're open to anything so long as it's high quality.

I'll open with The Shield and Sconch highly recommends Battlestar Galactica.

I thought it might have been a mistake to not include Sons of Anarchy when I made this poll. Then Sconchlias went off on how awesome it was so I know for an absolute fact that it must be crap.

:shrug: Your loss.

Unpossible. I watched the first half of one commercial for it and can say with absolute certainty that it has zero redeeming qualities.

Unpossible. I watched the first half of one commercial for it and can say with absolute certainty that it has zero redeeming qualities.
Good for you.

Good for you.
Absolutely. Seriously, do people really watch that junk?

The west wing is the bbest show ever. I have seen it at least seven times through as bravo used to show two episodes every morning. I could watch that show every day forever.

Wow. I know people love this show, but that's strong praise.
Unbelievably good show.
i'm on board with this

Update: Going with West Wing and Six Feet Under with Buffy as my mid-season replacement.

Because I know you were losing sleep over it.

:banned:

Update: Going with West Wing and Six Feet Under with Buffy as my mid-season replacement.Because I know you were losing sleep over it.:banned:

I am big fan of the first two seasons of The West Wing. There's a specific scene in the series involving Mark Harmon where I thought it officially jumped the shark. But still, that Sorkin knows how to write. If you're into Sorkin, I really enjoyed Sports Night. It's a fictional ESPN-like show that Sorkin penned before The West Wing.

Update: Going with West Wing and Six Feet Under with Buffy as my mid-season replacement.Because I know you were losing sleep over it.:banned:

YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayBaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!

I am big fan of the first two seasons of The West Wing. There's a specific scene in the series involving Mark Harmon where I thought it officially jumped the shark. But still, that Sorkin knows how to write. If you're into Sorkin, I really enjoyed Sports Night. It's a fictional ESPN-like show that Sorkin penned before The West Wing.
I remember when Sports Night came out and I got tired of Sorkin's everybody-is-wittier-than-any-living-person shtick pretty quick. I thought about putting it on the list because it seems to have become very highly regarded, even if it wasn't at the time, and I am willing to revisit it.There is a ton to get through here already, but it will be in the next round.

I remember when Sports Night came out and I got tired of Sorkin's everybody-is-wittier-than-any-living-person shtick pretty quick. I thought about putting it on the list because it seems to have become very highly regarded, even if it wasn't at the time, and I am willing to revisit it.There is a ton to get through here already, but it will be in the next round.
:goodposting: Sorkin when he's got a subject/issue that's bigger than the people? :thumbup: Sorkin when it's just about the people? :wall::loco::yucky:

I finished season 3 of Six Feet Under a few weeks back and I'm a big fan. Great show so far!

I would watch this almost exclusively because I am a fan of Dexter. But I have heard that it may have held on for a season or two too long.
I watched this whole series last year and was amazed. Almost perfect. Up there with the best TV shows (Wire, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc). I'd def go this route and add The League for a bit of comedy w/o much of a time commitment.

Sure. And I'd probably recommend a bunch of other series first, anyway.

I finished season 3 of Six Feet Under a few weeks back and I'm a big fan. Great show so far!

I would watch this almost exclusively because I am a fan of Dexter. But I have heard that it may have held on for a season or two too long.
I watched this whole series last year and was amazed. Almost perfect. Up there with the best TV shows (Wire, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc). I'd def go this route and add The League for a bit of comedy w/o much of a time commitment.
Hard to argue considering the results in here.It's a serial show though, right? Not a bunch of one offs, like Seinfeld or Cheers?

end of season 3. i wasn't a big fan of Harmon's storyline either. it had one more season of greatness before it dropped down a tier.

end of season 3. i wasn't a big fan of Harmon's storyline either. it had one more season of greatness before it dropped down a tier.
Interesting. I didn't see the fourth season. Maybe I should...

I hate when people bring up the movie. That was garbage and I don't know anyone who actually likes it. The thing about Buffy is they have great writing and the story builds on each other. I'll be honest though, if you hate sic-fi, you'll have Buffy.

If you like Sci-Fi, check out SG1.

:hey:

Young Kristy Swanson>Sarah Michelle Geller

I voted The League - Funny, funny show. Don't bother with Jericho, it started out well then sputtered and died. Second season is unwatchable.

I hate when people bring up the movie. That was garbage and I don't know anyone who actually likes it. The thing about Buffy is they have great writing and the story builds on each other. I'll be honest though, if you hate sic-fi, you'll have Buffy.

If you like Sci-Fi, check out SG1.

:hey:

Young Kristy Swanson>Sarah Michelle Geller

I voted The League - Funny, funny show. Don't bother with Jericho, it started out well then sputtered and died. Second season is unwatchable.

I gotta go with Sarah Michelle Geller in this one and it isn't very close.

It's the post-apocalyptic thing that made me interested in Jericho, I figured it might not be very good overall just due to its short run but was hoping to be surprised. Either way it's gotta be better than Sons of Anarchy amiright or amiright?

:hifive:

• 1 month later...

Watched Six Feet Under.

Wow. Lots of hardcore guy-on-guy action for such a highly recommended show around these parts.

Very good show overall but I thought it was very slow developing and almost gave up on it during season one. It wasn't until Jeremy Sisto started doing the schizo thing that I decided to stick with it. Many of the characters are, quite frankly, unlikable and I did not find much empathy for them, especially early on (I never came around to Peter Krause's character, whiny, self absorbed tool) but I think that may have been part of the point and that doesn't mean the show wasn't good, it was very good. It was intelligent and thoughtfully written and many of the characters are interesting, if not likable. Hell, the opening sequence of each episode alone made it worth watching.

The one thing that really stands out was the series finale which is easily in the conversation for best finale ever. The last four minutes of the final episode are perhaps the best four minutes of television I have ever watched.

I am glad to have watched it and I have no problem recommending it to any and all (although people should probably be aware beforehand of all the guy-on-guy action).

Watched Six Feet Under.Wow. Lots of hardcore guy-on-guy action for such a highly recommended show around these parts.Very good show overall but I thought it was very slow developing and almost gave up on it during season one. It wasn't until Jeremy Sisto started doing the schizo thing that I decided to stick with it. Many of the characters are, quite frankly, unlikable and I did not find much empathy for them, especially early on (I never came around to Peter Krause's character, whiny, self absorbed tool) but I think that may have been part of the point and that doesn't mean the show wasn't good, it was very good. It was intelligent and thoughtfully written and many of the characters are interesting, if not likable. Hell, the opening sequence of each episode alone made it worth watching.The one thing that really stands out was the series finale which is easily in the conversation for best finale ever. The last four minutes of the final episode are perhaps the best four minutes of television I have ever watched.I am glad to have watched it and I have no problem recommending it to any and all (although people should probably be aware beforehand of all the guy-on-guy action).

While agree that most people on this show are not very likable, i'd say that's why I like the show. There's no flaccid attempt at creating a hero or a monochromatic protagonist.Aside from a weak penultimate season, the entire series is must-see TV. This show does fights better than almost any series ever made.

Watched Six Feet Under.Wow. Lots of hardcore guy-on-guy action for such a highly recommended show around these parts.Very good show overall but I thought it was very slow developing and almost gave up on it during season one. It wasn't until Jeremy Sisto started doing the schizo thing that I decided to stick with it. Many of the characters are, quite frankly, unlikable and I did not find much empathy for them, especially early on (I never came around to Peter Krause's character, whiny, self absorbed tool) but I think that may have been part of the point and that doesn't mean the show wasn't good, it was very good. It was intelligent and thoughtfully written and many of the characters are interesting, if not likable. Hell, the opening sequence of each episode alone made it worth watching.The one thing that really stands out was the series finale which is easily in the conversation for best finale ever. The last four minutes of the final episode are perhaps the best four minutes of television I have ever watched.I am glad to have watched it and I have no problem recommending it to any and all (although people should probably be aware beforehand of all the guy-on-guy action).

While agree that most people on this show are not very likable, i'd say that's why I like the show. There's no flaccid attempt at creating a hero or a monochromatic protagonist.Aside from a weak penultimate season, the entire series is must-see TV. This show does fights better than almost any series ever made.
It does an excellent job of creating palpable tension and is clearly unafraid to explore new and interesting levels of depravity (not referring to the whole guys kissing thing, which I credit the show for effectively desensitizing me to, as I am certain was their intent). When I truly think about it many of Krause's internal struggles with commitment strike a familiar chord, which is perhaps why I didn't care for his character at times.

I think that's a fair assessment.

The show is well acted all around but Frances Conroy simply shines as Ruth. It looks like she got a well deserved Emmy nomination for every season.

Apparently so did Illeana Douglass who ranks very high in my "Women you find strangely attractive" category. She seems...fun.

It does an excellent job of creating palpable tension and is clearly unafraid to explore new and interesting levels of depravity (not referring to the whole guys kissing thing, which I credit the show for effectively desensitizing me to, as I am certain was their intent). When I truly think about it many of Krause's internal struggles with commitment strike a familiar chord, which is perhaps why I didn't care for his character at times.
Certainly. Krause's character sometimes acts like a tool - much like people I know personally.

The show is well acted all around but Frances Conroy simply shines as Ruth. It looks like she got a well deserved Emmy nomination for every season.

She's incredible. Michael C Hall's my other favorite.

Being a big fan of Dexter it was a little odd at first to see his character in SFU. However if you look at it the two characters are very similar in their ability to be cold and dispassionate. Saw Hall in Gamer (turrible film) and it was nice to see him take a departure from that character type. I like him as an actor but I am still unsure if he really has chops or if he is locked into playing to a specific type. I should probably check out Peep World and East Fifth Bliss.

Being a big fan of Dexter it was a little odd at first to see his character in SFU. However if you look at it the two characters are very similar in their ability to be cold and dispassionate. Saw Hall in Gamer (turrible film) and it was nice to see him take a departure from that character type. I like him as an actor but I am still unsure if he really has chops or if he is locked into playing to a specific type. I should probably check out Peep World and East Fifth Bliss.
I see similarities, yes. But the more you see of 6'U, the more you'll appreciate his talent.

I see similarities, yes. But the more you see of 6'U, the more you'll appreciate his talent.
I give him a ton of credit for SFU, if I did not know who he was I would have thought for sure that he was gay. I particularly appreciated how his character slowly developed confidence as an out-of-the-closet gay man.I'm not knocking him I just think his wheelhouse is emotionally distant.

Archived