What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Going to visit Charleston, SC (1 Viewer)

On The Rocks

Evil Conservative
We are planning a ten day trip down and up the East Coast - and trying to determine how many days to plan for a visit in Charleston, SC.

It will be just my wife and I - no children and no family to visit.

Can anyone make any suggestions on the "must see" sites? It will be our first time there. Is two days enough?

I suspect Mrs OTR will want to spend at least a few hours on the beach each day so I need to include that in my alloted time.

TIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are planning a ten day trip down and up the East Coast - and trying to determine how many days to plan for a visit in Charleston, SC.It will be just my wife and I - no children and no family to visit.Can anyone make any suggestions on the "must see" sites? It will be our first time there. Is two days enough?I suspect Mrs OTR will want to spend at least a few hours on the beach each day so I need to include that in my alloted time.TIA.
I might be able to help, I have lived here most my life. What are you interested in doing? I see the beach is one. How about history? Seafood?History:1. Take the boat to Fort Sumter2. Carriage rides downtown are touristy but cool3. Some guided ghost walks through cemeteries downtown4. Really cool old architecture through downtown streets south of Broad StreetSeafood:1. Bowens Island Restaurant near Folly Beach has killer oysters and fried seafood2. Watersedge on Shem Creek in Mount Pleasant has a great selection of seafood - I recommend the crispy flounderHit me up if you have any other questions.

We are planning a ten day trip down and up the East Coast - and trying to determine how many days to plan for a visit in Charleston, SC.It will be just my wife and I - no children and no family to visit.Can anyone make any suggestions on the "must see" sites? It will be our first time there. Is two days enough?I suspect Mrs OTR will want to spend at least a few hours on the beach each day so I need to include that in my alloted time.TIA.
I might be able to help, I have lived here most my life. What are you interested in doing? I see the beach is one. How about history? Seafood?History:1. Take the boat to Fort Sumter2. Carriage rides downtown are touristy but cool3. Some guided ghost walks through cemeteries downtown4. Really cool old architecture through downtown streets south of Broad StreetSeafood:1. Bowens Island Restaurant near Folly Beach has killer oysters and fried seafood2. Watersedge on Shem Creek in Mount Pleasant has a great selection of seafood - I recommend the crispy flounderHit me up if you have any other questions.
Mostly interested in history. Neither of us are seafood eaters - but I might actually take the plunge and try different seafood while there.

Carolina's - awesome resy

Middleton Place - pretty cool gardens (better in springtime though)

Charles Towne Landing

When are you going? If you'll be there in the fall, check out Dock Street Theater

The Old Slave Mart Museum

Boone Hall Plantation

As for how many days you should spend in Charleston, I'd go for 10 or as many as possible. It is seriously the most beautiful city on the east coast, and there are tons of things to do and see. Shoot the lock off the wallet and buy a Fodor's or Lonely Planet guide. I'm just scratching the surface. Will be well worth it, IMO.

Oh, and does the wife golf? Any chance you can make it out to Kiawah for a day or three? 21 miles away.

PM Mjolnrs if he doesn't reply. Dude knows his Charleston.

It's a cool town. Lots of history. I went there for wedding, maybe 2 years ago. I would put the whole place as a don't miss in your lifetime(unless you are from a very similar place). No crazy theme parks or nothing, but a solid chill out in the South.

I got drunk at the Library roof top bar and recommend it. There is an old thread on this for sure.

I suspect Mrs OTR will want to spend at least a few hours on the beach each day so I need to include that in my alloted time.
What are you interested in doing? I see the beach is one. How about history? Seafood?History:1. Take the boat to Fort Sumter2. Carriage rides downtown are touristy but cool3. Some guided ghost walks through cemeteries downtown4. Really cool old architecture through downtown streets south of Broad Street
Where you are staying may dictate which beach you hit, the main differences between them are access, crowd, eats and such.Plenty of history to see. Along with gerome's suggestions I would add Ft. Moultrie, which dates back to the Revolutionary War. There is a Confederate Museum above the Market run by the United Daughters of the Confederacy. Also, you can visit a plantation.pm me if you want more or something specific.

Good suggestions by the locals. You can hit the boat ride to Fort Sumter and then come back and hit the aquarium which is nice. Also, while Isle of Palms is a popular beach choice, I'd do Beachwalker Park on Kiawah. Gorgeous beach with less of a crowd.

The markets downtown are cool, and there are some cool bus tours at the visitor's center. Got an awesome history of Gullah by the tour guide.

When my wife and i went there last summer, we got talked into listening to a timeshare pitch. 45 minutes of hearing their schtick, and we got coupons that we could use for local attractions for free. We went to the aquarium, did a ghost tour, and took a carriage ride. We wanted to to ft sumpter, but it was too hot.

We thoroughly enjoyed all of it, and look forward to returning. The ghost tour and the carriage rides were definately worth it.

Beaches

I would suggest hitting the beaches on weekdays. Beach traffic on weekends is something to be avoided unless you get there before 9. Kiawah is farther away and more exclusive; the others are visited more by locals.

Restaurants

Magnolia's

Lana--this place is a few blocks away from the touristy areas of downtown. food is awesome here.

High Cotton

Anson's

Fish

S.N.O.B.

Blossom

Hall's Chop House for steak

Basil--awesome Thai place

If you go to Kiawah, I would suggest Wild Olive or Fat Hen, which are on the road from Charleston to Kiawah

Three Little Birds & Hominy Grill are good breakfast spots, Five Loaves is great for lunch

Plantations:

Magnolia and Middleton are the best, by far

If you and your wife like upscale shopping, definitely hit King Street downtown

Excellent suggestions! Thank you all.

I golf just enough to hate the game - my wife does not golf at all.

We will be there the latter half of the week of August 15th.

If we could spend the entire week, we would, but I think this info has helped us to push a two day visit to three.

This is potentially also a retirement home scouting trip. (Still 10 years away)

Oh, and we did a historical walking tour. Fascinating stuff. Our guide was excellent. Unfortunately I can't remember which company.

I could spend 3 days just touring historic homes in Charleston. It's not Versailles impressive, but still pretty darn cool. The two I remember most are the Aiken-Rhett house and the Nathaniel Russell house.

This is potentially also a retirement home scouting trip. (Still 10 years away)
You should take a long, hard look at Kiawah Island and her less expensive step-sister, Seabrook Island. Golf, tennis, fantastic beaches. But honestly, not this trip. Make another long weekend or week long visit. Rent a house or a villa on site and experience the lifestyle for a few days before you head down to the realtors office.Anyway, enjoy your stay in Charleston. One of my favorite places on earth.

82 Queen

Best restaurant in Charleston. Get the She Crab soup. It's phenomenal.

Take a day and go to Sullivan's Island for a little beach time, and then visit Poe's.

It's one of my favorite cities in the country. Pace of life, weather, scenery, food, character. Not much "to do" in the touristy sort of way, but just go and unwind for a few days. Buy a straw hat from the farmer's market.

This may sound crazy but Mellow Mushroom (downtown Charleston) has some of the best pizza and brews I've ever had. Tommy Condon's is a great Irish place downtown, they have a terrific Shepard's Pie. All the stuff previously mentioned in this thread is good to do. I took my parents to Fort Sumter and that was on a crappy day and it was still pretty cool. If you are a beach goer don't miss Folly. Great scene down there. Hit up Taco Boy or Woody's (another great pizza place). If you like fishing there is a pier you can pay (I think) 10 bucks for the day to fish off of.

This may sound crazy but Mellow Mushroom (downtown Charleston) has some of the best pizza and brews I've ever had.
Mellow Mushroom is very good, but Andolinis is better. The have been voted best pizza in Charleston for like 19 straight years. They have restaurants in Downtown CharlestonMount Pleasant, James Island, N. Chuck, a West Ashley.

Gotta get to Patriot's Point.http://www.patriotspoint.org/
Meh.
You hate America or something?
Because I found a beat up carrier and submarine boring?
Heh heh... just giving you crap.For anyone who enjoys history, WWII, etc. then I think this is a must-see.
The Congressional Medal of Honor Museum is there too.
Yes, that's right. It was a very good addition.

Back from Charleston, and without question one of the top vacations ever.

Stayed at The Mills House (operated by Holiday Inn Express - but all the charm of a non hotel chain).

Food - ate at High Cotton (the Hanger Steak was incredible) - Magnolias, Poe's on Sullivan Island - and the best breakfast place ever: Dixie Supply Cafe Any locals that have not tried it, I recommend it, and try the State Street Biscuit Special. We went there two days in a row. It might look like a dumpy little place on the outside (and on the inside) but the food is AMAZING.

We took the tour of Boone Hall Plantation. It was "ok" - but not something I was thrilled with.

Spent an evening on Sullivan's Island - checking out the food and sun set.

Enjoyed the Battery and East Bay St. (Rainbow Row etc.) Purchased a small print from W. Hampton Brand - at his gallery - a bit of a chirper - but I appreciated his passion for his work and his love for the area.

Enjoyed the City Market and a Carriage ride.

Most importantly my wife and I really enjoyed getting up early (5:30) and walking the streets and listening to the town come to life as the sun came up and walking the streets at night as the sun went down and later taking in all the night life activity.

Great food. And we met very friendly people everywhere we went.

Your little town is beautiful beyond words. We cannot wait to visit again!!

Back from Charleston, and without question one of the top vacations ever.

Stayed at The Mills House (operated by Holiday Inn Express - but all the charm of a non hotel chain).

Food - ate at High Cotton (the Hanger Steak was incredible) - Magnolias, Poe's on Sullivan Island - and the best breakfast place ever: Dixie Supply Cafe Any locals that have not tried it, I recommend it, and try the State Street Biscuit Special. We went there two days in a row. It might look like a dumpy little place on the outside (and on the inside) but the food is AMAZING.

We took the tour of Boone Hall Plantation. It was "ok" - but not something I was thrilled with.

Spent an evening on Sullivan's Island - checking out the food and sun set.

Enjoyed the Battery and East Bay St. (Rainbow Row etc.) Purchased a small print from W. Hampton Brand - at his gallery - a bit of a chirper - but I appreciated his passion for his work and his love for the area.

Enjoyed the City Market and a Carriage ride.

Most importantly my wife and I really enjoyed getting up early (5:30) and walking the streets and listening to the town come to life as the sun came up and walking the streets at night as the sun went down and later taking in all the night life activity.

Great food. And we met very friendly people everywhere we went.

Your little town is beautiful beyond words. We cannot wait to visit again!!
:thumbup: Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Will see if I can get a little help here before starting a new thread.

We are taking a trip with the family to Hilton Head the last week of March but have decided to make a day trip out to Charleston and stay one night before heading out the following day. I'll be with my wife, 9 yo son, and 16 month old daughter. Any recs on where to stay and highlights to hit during an afternoon/evening and then the following morning?

Naturally there are a ton of places to stay. It all depends on your price range.

The first thing I thought of for the 9 year old was the South Carolina Aquarium. Visiting the USS Yorktown at Patriots Point might be of interest too.

While looking for the url for the aquarium I stumbled on this site. It could be helpful.

PM me with any questions. I'll do my best to answer.

Naturally there are a ton of places to stay. It all depends on your price range.

The first thing I thought of for the 9 year old was the South Carolina Aquarium. Visiting the USS Yorktown at Patriots Point might be of interest too.

While looking for the url for the aquarium I stumbled on this site. It could be helpful.

PM me with any questions. I'll do my best to answer.
:thumbup:

Thanks and I'll look for you once we look at a few options.

Wife and I stayed at the Harbourview Inn a few years back... great place to stay, right next to the harbor and a couple blocks from the pineapple fountain. There is a pier outside the hotel with some large swings... sitting out there looking over the harbor is one of my favorite places in the world.

Not the cheapest place to stay but it's really nice... if its just one day it might be worth it.

:blackdot:

visiting here in late April for work trip.

one quick question: one weekday, i don't have a meeting until 1pm. How long does it take to visit Fort Sumter, including the ferry rides to/from (coming from aquarium)? Wanting to squeeze that in that morning.

Bumping this for any new input. Taking the wife on an anniversary trip here in June for 4 days. Staying near the middle of the "museum mile" and hoping we can walk (or Uber?) to most things, and not need to rent a car. 

Bumping this for any new input. Taking the wife on an anniversary trip here in June for 4 days. Staying near the middle of the "museum mile" and hoping we can walk (or Uber?) to most things, and not need to rent a car. 
I'm not familiar with the term "museum mile", but assuming it is near the museum .. duh.

Depends on how much you like to walk.  It's a little bit of a hike to the market and lots of the shopping from there.  Only rent a car if you are looking to go outside of the peninsula for any of the plantations or other sites.  Parking is such a headache downtown.  I'm not an Uber person, but I'm guessing that would be your best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread