What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Apple (AAPL) : Tim Cook announces iForum. Dodds and Bryant prepare shut down operations (3 Viewers)

Why on earth is a company with so much cash issuing 17B of debt?
They are paying as low as +20 for the 3's to only +100 for the 30yr. They should easily generate a positive carry no matter what they do with the proceeds. They should be doing more of this, not less.

Why on earth is a company with so much cash issuing 17B of debt?
Because if they bring any of the $100 billion they are holding offshore, they will have to pay income tax on it. Therefore, it makes sense to issue debt here to pay the stockholders.

Whole lotta Mac Pro owners not happy with the new design for 2013. A tube for a workstation? That needs all kinds of appendages for expansion? Audio guys are already hating it on MacRumors.

Every time I see this thread get bumped and I haven't checked the market yet that day, I get bad feeling that the bottom just dropped out.

One way to look at the Mini is that it is a threat to cannibalize full-size iPad sales. The other way to see it is that the Mini opens Apple up to a larger potential market. I think the truth is in the middle. At the end of the day, as Tim Cook said: Apple can't fear cannibalizing their own products because if they don't do it someone else will. It's a balancing act to be sure.
Thats an interesting perspective - I wonder how Jobs would have attacked the same problem. I've never known Apple to focus on consumer demand as much as they are now. It seems that Apple would always put out a product and tell/market their story that this is the only way this product should be - anyone else is telling you differently does not know what they are talking about. I'd love to know how Jobs felt about a smaller iPad.I mean, they exploited an entire segment (tablets) when nobody was demanding such a product, nobody thought they needed/wanted such a product. The essentially proactively told the market what the market needed - instead of reacting to the market and competitors.Iphone was another example where someone at Apple had an idea and built it before there was really any consumer demand.If I was still a shareholder, I would be worried that they are becoming more like their competitors - and playing catch-up to consumer demand, rather than creating consumer demand. The value is in creating demand, not chasing demand - at that point almost all competitors are on equal footing, and then its just a race to the lowest price point (lowest margins) - and that hurts profits.
:goodposting: I agree on all points. I think we are starting to see some evolution of these devices (phones/tablets) sort of like the PC where all of them will be able to do everything and the content will be the most important thing and the devices will be commodities. Once web sites became applications, people realized that your connection to the Internet was just as important as the guts of the PC. Do you ever hear anyone talking about what CPU/RAM they have anymore? Years ago when Dell stock was rocketing, the latest CPU/sizes were always discussed. Now, any new PC basically has the specs to do what 90% of people need fast enough.What is amazing is to think of how fast the phone/tablet market is evolving, probably because the PCs they emulate are mature now, and at some point a 10MP camera recording 1080P is enough and the 4GLTE is fast enough and the CPUs/RAM are big enough that a phone/tablet is a commodity. Things will continue to improve, but the Apple story isn't the same when other competing companies can offer the same functionality. It wasn't that long ago that they couldn't.I think Apple products are great, we have iPhones, iPads and iPods in my family, but I am not sure that I would be a huge buyer of their stock now. If you missed the runup, you have some potential growth, but as mentioned above, margins are going to come down and Apple's amazing stock run was because they could price the iPhone/iPad way above their costs and roll in the profits.
solid posting this The only thing that seems to not be happening as fast as I thought is that websites are not becoming applications in the pure sense of the word. There are enough people out there still doing dev work on sideloads that are adding some value. Not alot of value, but some.
True and "application" is kind of a catch all word in my book. That could mean things like salesforce.com (or my company who develops ebiz type software, which is all web based) to Amazon and eBay. Just trying to point out that there is not a ton for the masses (I still need a Windows laptop for a lot of development apps I use) that can't be web based. While Apple has been wildly successful, I think what is amazing is how quick their window may be versus the old guard of Dell/Microsoft/Intel was. Those guys ran hot for 20 years and are still making a good chunk of change now. The iPhone was released in 2007 or almost 6 years ago and already has significant competition. I think Apple will be fine and still rake the cash in, but it is amazing to think that in such a short time we have gone from brand new product/market to pretty mature in 1/3 of the time the PC market had before it really started to "mature" and by mature I mean get to a point where the specs almost didn't matter and you didn't really have to upgrade anymore.
Well, it took only 5 months until this guy at Bloomberg (LINK) read my post and wrote an article about Apple and smartphones becoming commodities and even threw in my PC market example to show how new tech can go strong on high margins and then become "enough" where the latest versions aren't a big enough jump to keep margins fat.

It would have been nice if Peter Burrows cited me as a source. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The money train is leaving the station; not too late to buy a ticket.
This isn't 2008 any longer. If you don't believe me, look at the movement after the last iPhone preview. They need to change their approach and quickly. People are growing tired of the same old same old.

This isn't 2008 any longer. If you don't believe me, look at the movement after the last iPhone preview. They need to change their approach and quickly. People are growing tired of the same old same old.
Why you got to be such a debbie downer? I went to rough patch with this stock, let me enjoy the 20% gain. :)

Why you got to be such a debbie downer? I went to rough patch with this stock, let me enjoy the 20% gain. :)
I sold long ago...almost bought back in when in the low 400s but decided I was ultimately done with it. Glad you're getting some of your money back though :thumbup:

Meh - there is still a lot of money to be made IMO. Lots of new products about to be announced the next 2-3 months. Enjoy the ride.

Meh - there is still a lot of money to be made IMO. Lots of new products about to be announced the next 2-3 months. Enjoy the ride.
Which ones are you talking about?

Is a fingerprint reader that big of a deal? I don't have a password on my phone and I can see how not having to enter one would be convenient, but is it really something more than that?

Is a fingerprint reader that big of a deal? I don't have a password on my phone and I can see how not having to enter one would be convenient, but is it really something more than that?
Why not?

Fingerprint reader would be pretty cool and new to phones but not exactly a ground breaking feature (its been on laptops for years).

iPhone Color and itunesRadio are virtual certainties (those of us with iOS7 beta already have itunes Radio). iWatch and the television are rumored, but I'm skeptical we will see them this fall. Maybe the watch.

Of course the iPhone and iPad refreshes are on deck, but I'm sure those will be poo-poo'd by the anti-Apple folks. :shrug:

iPhone Color and itunesRadio are virtual certainties (those of us with iOS7 beta already have itunes Radio). iWatch and the television are rumored, but I'm skeptical we will see them this fall. Maybe the watch.

Of course the iPhone and iPad refreshes are on deck, but I'm sure those will be poo-poo'd by the anti-Apple folks. :shrug:
This is exactly what I was eluding too. These minor upgrades (color of your phone, really?) and internet radio stations aren't going to move the needle. I don't know much about iWatch. Personally, the only frontier Jobs had started but not completely forged was in the TV space. That continues to have potential, the rest is window dressing at the moment. I've been longing for biometrics to be put on phones...I hate freakin' passwords, so that would be a cool addition but not an earth shattering innovation.

This is exactly what I was eluding too. These minor upgrades (color of your phone, really?) and internet radio stations aren't going to move the needle. I don't know much about iWatch. Personally, the only frontier Jobs had started but not completely forged was in the TV space. That continues to have potential, the rest is window dressing at the moment. I've been longing for biometrics to be put on phones...I hate freakin' passwords, so that would be a cool addition but not an earth shattering innovation.
Yeah, if the only thing you see from the introduction of the iPhone 5C is "color of your phone", you definitely shouldn't be investing in AAPL at this point.

Yeah, if the only thing you see from the introduction of the iPhone 5C is "color of your phone", you definitely shouldn't be investing in AAPL at this point.
You mean besides the lower margins 5C would have?

Why not?

Fingerprint reader would be pretty cool and new to phones but not exactly a ground breaking feature (its been on laptops for years).
Never felt the need.
It's a requirement by most IT departments if you are using the phone for business purposes. I think it would be very cool.

So this applies to pretty much the technology space as a whole then right? Its not like anyone is doing anything earth shattering.

Why not?

Never felt the need.
It's a requirement by most IT departments if you are using the phone for business purposes. I think it would be very cool.
True that. Thank god I never have to use my phone for business.

You listed "iPhone Color" which is an assumed feature of the 5C. I was speaking to that feature, not the 5C in general. 5C is meant to replace the 4S...biggest change in the 5C seems to be the dropping of Siri. Are you talking about the 5S perhaps?? On Sept 10 we will probably be told that the product line has been simplified. A 5C will be "good", a 5 will be "better" and a 5S will be "best" with the 5S being very similar to the 5 in all important features. If that gets your rocks off, have at it. To me, it's a far cry from what Jobs was doing in their hay day :shrug:

You listed "iPhone Color" which is an assumed feature of the 5C. I was speaking to that feature, not the 5C in general. 5C is meant to replace the 4S...biggest change in the 5C seems to be the dropping of Siri. Are you talking about the 5S perhaps?? On Sept 10 we will probably be told that the product line has been simplified. A 5C will be "good", a 5 will be "better" and a 5S will be "best" with the 5S being very similar to the 5 in all important features. If that gets your rocks off, have at it. To me, it's a far cry from what Jobs was doing in their hay day :shrug:
I thought the 5C was going to be the low cost phone which was targeting emerging markets?

So this applies to pretty much the technology space as a whole then right? Its not like anyone is doing anything earth shattering.
Technology as a whole is a vast space an no, it doesn't apply to the entire space. Smart TVs are one example and there are countless examples of very interesting work going on under the giant umbrella of "technology space". If your argument is that the phone space is greatly slowed, I'd agree with you...but not the whole technology space.

I thought the 5C was going to be the low cost phone which was targeting emerging markets?
Yes...it will be their "affordable" phone by all accounts....very similar to 4S today.

New features don't excite investors nearly as much as new products do... and watches and televisions are not exiciting new products.
Apart from their ability to make me money, I don't really give a damn about Apple or their products. I tend to lean towards the idea that refreshed versions of the same phones are damn near useless at this point, and I have almost 0 interest in a watch. I think the right television, however, could definitely be a driver.

There was a time when new phones were not exciting new products, so it's tough to say definitively that they can't turn one of those into something revolutionary.

Lower margins than the higher priced iPhone, but higher margins than almost every other Apple product. More sales of iPhones could actually increase Apple's overall margins.

Technology as a whole is a vast space an no, it doesn't apply to the entire space. Smart TVs are one example and there are countless examples of very interesting work going on under the giant umbrella of "technology space". If your argument is that the phone space is greatly slowed, I'd agree with you...but not the whole technology space.
yeah, just not seeing anything that is ground breaking. "smart tv" is something that's been kicked around for years. interesting work is one thing, what's really moving the needle.

Lower margins than the higher priced iPhone, but higher margins than almost every other Apple product. More sales of iPhones could actually increase Apple's overall margins.
hot much of a concern is the lower margin if you get the right volume.

yeah, just not seeing anything that is ground breaking. "smart tv" is something that's been kicked around for years. interesting work is one thing, what's really moving the needle.
A lot of the things I am thinking of, you won't see in a product, but it will be a huge impact on how your products are produced and function. Lots of things going on in "infrastructure" kinds of space and aiding the disabled. It's pretty cool.

A lot of the things I am thinking of, you won't see in a product, but it will be a huge impact on how your products are produced and function. Lots of things going on in "infrastructure" kinds of space and aiding the disabled. It's pretty cool.
ok, i thought you were referring to mainstream consumer technology.

hot much of a concern is the lower margin if you get the right volume.
Right....volume was easy to drum up because the iPhone was making substantial changes every release or two. There hasn't been a substantial user experience upgrade since 4S IMO.....everythings been little feature adds. Nothing to make us say "man, I have to have that!" That doesn't seem to be changing with this next release either....we'll see though.

It's not that there's anything wrong with those products, it's that most of them aren't anything groundbreaking. What Apple did was find out what competitors were doing wrong with their products and do them right - long battery life, small/sleek form factor and works well. The iPod, iPhone and iPad all have this in common and the only product like that I see coming is the iWatch. I think the iWatch can replace the iPod and iPhone for a lot of people if it works with Bluetooth headphones so it's the product to keep an eye on. I see a time when people wear an iWatch as their phone and if they want something to play games or watch videos on they carry a tablet.

Users who are viewing this thread