Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Apple (AAPL) : Tim Cook announces iForum. Dodds and Bryant prepare shut down operations

This is one of the reasons I think Apple has a loyal following: I bought an iMac a little over a year ago. The last couple of days the magic trackpad began to get a little wonky. So, I took it in to the Genius bar, and the first guy pulled up my information, and saw the the trackpad was over a year old - i.e. outside their warranty. He called a manager, who came and said no problem, and handed me a new trackpad, no questions asked. The whole process took about 10 minutes.

That is the type of customer service that will keep me coming back.

I can beat that.

I bought a used iPod (fifth generation, IIRC) at Circuit City years ago. Owned it for about a year and a half, when these black lines started appearing on the screen. I didn't do anything about it for about 6 months, but it got worse. I then brought the device to an Apple Store to see if it could be repaired. At that point, I'd owned it about two years and it was used - it was over two years old, is what I'm saying. And they replaced it. For free.

Since then, I have brought in split earbuds (twice - I'm rough on those), my iPhone with the slightly wonky home button, my MacBook Pro's power cord, and my current iPhone's power cord. Every single one replaced for free, no questions asked, no hassle - in and out of the Apple store in 10-15 minutes.

There is nothing special about Apple products without Steve Jobs. The magic is gone.

Are we sure goonsquad wasn't actually Steve Jobs? He vanished about the same time. :unsure:

It is likely that Steve Jobs spent time in the FFA. Kinda sad that people don't even care about Apple announcements anymore in just a few short years.

There is nothing special about Apple products without Steve Jobs. The magic is gone.

Are we sure goonsquad wasn't actually Steve Jobs? He vanished about the same time. :unsure:

It is likely that Steve Jobs spent time in the FFA. Kinda sad that people don't even care about Apple announcements anymore in just a few short years.

Kinda sad they ever did.

Jobs and a product that was years ahead of everyone else is what made them special. With Jobs gone and all of the competitors having caught up there's little for them to differentiate themselves. It used to be cool to have an iPhone but now it looks just like every other device out there.

The Iphone was special because it was revolutionary. The first smart-phone and miles ahead of the competition.

The problem with Apple now is not that Steve Jobs is gone. It's that they have refused to build a bigger screen.

Android phones should show Apple what is important to consumers. After all, they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Which sell the best? The bigger screens. So what is Apple's problem?

For most Apple users, iOS is so familiar and comfortable that we'll live with the screen size (or lie to ourselves and say it's not important). But many are not and many are leaving.

When Apple finally wakes up and gets with it, their sales will soar. After all, what possible incentive was there for anyone to switch from a 5 to a 5S? Zero. Heck, I almost didn't switch from a 4S to a 5S, as the size difference was pretty insignificant.

Sometimes we try to look for complex reasons why a company isn't doing good. As far as the cellphone market, the reason is simple. Their phones are too small.

The Iphone was special because it was revolutionary. The first smart-phone and miles ahead of the competition.

The problem with Apple now is not that Steve Jobs is gone. It's that they have refused to build a bigger screen.

Android phones should show Apple what is important to consumers. After all, they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Which sell the best? The bigger screens. So what is Apple's problem?

For most Apple users, iOS is so familiar and comfortable that we'll live with the screen size (or lie to ourselves and say it's not important). But many are not and many are leaving.

When Apple finally wakes up and gets with it, their sales will soar. After all, what possible incentive was there for anyone to switch from a 5 to a 5S? Zero. Heck, I almost didn't switch from a 4S to a 5S, as the size difference was pretty insignificant.

Sometimes we try to look for complex reasons why a company isn't doing good. As far as the cellphone market, the reason is simple. Their phones are too small.

It isn't just the screens that are unchanged. The core of iOS feels like very little innovation has occurred. Couple that in with a higher price, the only surprise is that they are doing as well as they are.

• Like 1

those gigantic phones are obnoxious IMO.

It isn't just the screens that are unchanged. The core of iOS feels like very little innovation has occurred. Couple that in with a higher price, the only surprise is that they are doing as well as they are.

:goodposting:

I just feel like the innovation of the iPhone has been going downhill. Siri was billed as the next big thing, but phones/computers already have voice commands and control at that time. And of all the people I know with iPhones, I hardly see any ever using Siri. Why doesn't the iPhone have NFC yet? Sure it's not widely used, but why not put that option on your phone instead of just telling your users, "you don't want this". It's not like it would drive up the cost of the phone to add it.

The other problem is cost. Why would I spend $200 on a 5s when I can get the Moto X from most places for $50? Is there really that big of a difference between the two phones that one should cost $150 more than the other?

The thing Apple exceeds at better than any other company in the world is marketing. They get people so excited for these phones and make it seem like they have to have them. People are just sucked into buying them because, "well I just now how to use it", "I like having iTunes", "there's more apps". The apps arguement should've ended years ago. I'd say just about every major app is available across iOS and Android at this point. Sure there's a few here and there that are only on one or the other, but for the most part all the big time apps are available for both.

Applee needs to make the iPhone 6 something revolutionary and really change the game or they could be in big trouble. Google is selling better phones for cheaper and it's hurting Apple.

Kinda sad they ever did.

Must drive you crazy to know Apple gets credit for showing the world how to make Touchscreen Smartphones and Tablets.

Kinda sad they ever did.

Must drive you crazy to know Apple gets credit for showing the world how to make Touchscreen Smartphones and Tablets.

Why would I care about that?

Kinda sad they ever did.

Why would I care about that?

Blackberry gets credit for making the smartphone ubiquitous. Should that drive people crazy too?

Jobs and a product that was years ahead of everyone else is what made them special. With Jobs gone and all of the competitors having caught up there's little for them to differentiate themselves. It used to be cool to have an iPhone but now it looks just like every other device out there.

we're looking at very incremental innovation right now. These phones are relatively feature rich and there's not much room to move.

Mobile payment is the next frontier but there's a chicken/egg scenario there that is the barrier to mass acceptance of that. Loop is innovative in that it doesn't require NFC installation at the POS and works with any standard magnetic reader. Pretty slick, IMO.

All this biometric fingerprint/eyescanning crap is relatively pointless right now, though. They're little hooks designed to prove "progress" but in reality they're incremental advances in the overall scheme of things. The next major frontier is mass acceptance of mobile payments.

What does Android have that iOS doesn't? We aren't re-inventing the wheel here. These are phones needed to make phone calls, surf the web, get text messages, use a couple apps, and play a game or two. Screen size is everything.

I thought the Note 3 was too big. But my opinion and your opinion mean nothing. What matters is what the majority of people want. The best selling Android phones aren't the Iphone-sized phones. They are the Galaxy and the Note 3. Apple isn't delivering the screen size that most people want.

I like my iPhone (5) and I like my various Apple products. They work well together - Macbook Pro, Mac Mini (kids/wife computer), Apple Extreme router, Apple TV, iPhone and iPad. I like that everything is unified, and yes, "it just works". It really does.

Having said that? If the next iPhone isn't revolutionary, I'll switch to an Android-based phone. And "revolutionary" means more than "bigger screen", because that's the most ludicrous assertion... the bigger the screen, the more desirable the phone? Come on. That's but one factor. The rest of the Apple line-up, I'm perfectly happy with.

I don't get why peopl want bigger screens. I don't want anything bigger than my iPhone unless I am on an iPad or computer.

Apparently some do but I sure don't get it.

I didn't either until I switched.

I always liked my iPhone 5, but once I had the real estate of an S3, it was hard to use an iPhone sized screen again.

Edited by Teef

What does Android have that iOS doesn't? We aren't re-inventing the wheel here. These are phones needed to make phone calls, surf the web, get text messages, use a couple apps, and play a game or two. Screen size is everything.

To my knowledge, iOS still doesn't have widgets, multi-window, or NFC functionality. Of course, maybe the small screen is keeping you from wanting to use your device for more.

Still think android phone + ipad is best combo you can get. I'm not sure a larger iphone can unseat me from that combo, nor an android tablet that can come on the market which can displace the ipad.

Whenever I use my wifes iphone it just feels like a toy.

I don't get why peopl want bigger screens. I don't want anything bigger than my iPhone unless I am on an iPad or computer.

Have you used a phone with a bigger screen? An iPhone feels/looks tiny when compared to an S3/S4. Web browsing isn't even close to the same experience IMO.

Edited by Cliff Clavin

I didn't either until I switched.

I always liked my iPhone 5, but once I had the real estate of an S3, it was hard to use an iPhone sized screen again.

i get why people want bigger screens which is why I also have an iPad but since I put my phone in my pocket the last thing I want is a bigger one.

I thought the Note 3 was too big. But my opinion and your opinion mean nothing. What matters is what the majority of people want. The best selling Android phones aren't the Iphone-sized phones. They are the Galaxy and the Note 3. Apple isn't delivering the screen size that most people want.

Agree that the Note is just too big, but when my time comes this summer to get a new phone, I'm going to make the switch away from the iphone, and screen size is a big reason for that.

Having said that...where does it end? In a year will the Note be too small for people? Can't imagine any phone bigger than that.

iPhones are getting bigger. As of right now, I have the Nokia 1520 and think it is a good phone that has much more functionality than just a phone. My iPhone 4 did not have what this phone as in terms of purpose. Will the new iPhone match? I don't know but I am hoping it does. I like the Nokia 1520, a little too big however I would not have known that if I did not get one. If Nokia comes out with a Windows phone that is ~5"... I'd seriously look into it. If the iPhone is ~5", I look to switch back.

For me, my "comfort" is in that ~5" screen size. The Nokia is 6" and the iPhone 5 is 4". Meet me in the middle with either and I'll be good.

Looks like Verizon has a Nokia 5" Windows phone. Mine is a little "better" because it can be upgraded. I'll need to check it out to see if ~5" is about right.

Edited by Mario Kart

Agree that the Note is just too big, but when my time comes this summer to get a new phone, I'm going to make the switch away from the iphone, and screen size is a big reason for that.

Having said that...where does it end? In a year will the Note be too small for people? Can't imagine any phone bigger than that.

If my iPad mini functioned as a cell phone too, it would be the only device I would need.

If my iPad mini functioned as a cell phone too, it would be the only device I would need.

I'm all for a bigger screen but that's ridiculous. Do you carry around a fanny pack or something? The ipad mini won't fit in a normal pocket and using it as a phone would be awkward.

The next niche for innovation in the smartphone is battery life. The company that can double or triple battery life without increasing its size will see sales go through the roof. That's what Apple should be working on.

Oh and bigger screens :cool:

Just curious, do you think Apple does their own battery research? Do each cell phone maker develop their own special batteries?

Guess what, a bigger phone means more room for a bigger battery. The main reason apple phones don't last long is that they insist on the toy size phones which means a toy sized battery. It's not rocket science.

I'm all for a bigger screen but that's ridiculous. Do you carry around a fanny pack or something? The ipad mini won't fit in a normal pocket and using it as a phone would be awkward.

It's a matter of time before any device that can fit in your hand is also a phone. The Mini seems a bit too big but I can see phones that are bigger than the Note.

Wearing skinny jeans?

Really the arrogance of the pricing and feature set of the 5c has to be a looked at for Cook's legacy. That thing was an unmitigated disaster. I still haven't seen one in the wild yet.

Edited by culdeus

Really the arrogance of the pricing and feature set of the 5s has to be a looked at for Cook's legacy. That thing was an unmitigated disaster. I still haven't seen one in the wild yet.

I have. My kids' doctor has one. Does my anecdotal evidence trump yours, or vice-versa? What are the actual sales numbers on the 5S?

I'm not defending the device - I didn't upgrade to it myself. But "unmitigated disaster"? Because you haven't seen one? I don't think so.

Really the arrogance of the pricing and feature set of the 5s has to be a looked at for Cook's legacy. That thing was an unmitigated disaster. I still haven't seen one in the wild yet.

I have. My kids' doctor has one. Does my anecdotal evidence trump yours, or vice-versa? What are the actual sales numbers on the 5S?

I'm not defending the device - I didn't upgrade to it myself. But "unmitigated disaster"? Because you haven't seen one? I don't think so.

Sorry thought 5c typed 5s.

Really the arrogance of the pricing and feature set of the 5c has to be a looked at for Cook's legacy. That thing was an unmitigated disaster. I still haven't seen one in the wild yet.

The 5c is the iphone 5 in colors and they are trying to sell it as the "cheap" version. Doesn't the old model iPhone always get marked down in price when the new model comes out? So really, the 5c isn't any cheaper than what the 5 would've been. The 5c was just cheaper for Apple to make and for them to get a better profit than to sell the 5 for $100.

• 2 months later...