What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Apple (AAPL) : Tim Cook announces iForum. Dodds and Bryant prepare shut down operations (2 Viewers)

If the iWatch thing can exceed expectations than they are truly bulletproof. I'm pretty big fan of Apple and have no interest. I don't wear a watch or am interested in the wearable health tracker devices though. At least the ones out there now.

Anyone here want this or have wife, GF, boyfriends that want it?

If the iWatch thing can exceed expectations than they are truly bulletproof. I'm pretty big fan of Apple and have no interest. I don't wear a watch or am interested in the wearable health tracker devices though. At least the ones out there now.

I will be buying this day 1.

Cook claiming 85% of last quarters iPhone sales were to people moving from another platform ... Very interesting if true.
That can't be true.
Apple CEO Tim Cook may have tapped Android "switchers" as part of the reason for the boffo iPhone sales last quarter, but a survey implied that most of those defectors lived outside the U.S.

The same poll illustrated that in the U.S. iPhones are increasingly sold to current Apple customers.
In the fourth quarter, 19% of U.S. iPhone customers polled by CIRP said that they had switched from an Android phone, the research firm said today. That was about mid-way in the usual range of 16% to 26%.

"Apple gets a nice bump from Android users every launch, but it's not a hockey stick [line on the chart]," said Mike Levin, partner at and co-founder of CIRP, in an interview. "OS loyalty tends to be pretty strong [and] the Android switching rate has remained relatively consistent."

In the previous two post-launch quarters -- after Apple shipped new iPhones in 2012 and 2013 -- the switcher percentage was 19% (after the iPhone 5 release) and 16% (after the iPhone 5C/5S debuts), respectively, said CIRP.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing I find hilarious about apply pay is that all the banks are paying their own money running their own commercials advertising it. When do you ever see that.

We own an iPad, macPro tower, two iPhones, and a MacBook Pro...

We won't be getting a watch as of now.... Can't see it

The thing I find hilarious about apply pay is that all the banks are paying their own money running their own commercials advertising it. When do you ever see that.
Look at the mobile phone companies ads.

Of course it could be co-op advertising where apple is pitching in chunk of the cost.

Won't the margins on Apple Pay be outstanding as consumers get on board? The infrastructure has been built, scaling it, maintaining it, and ensureing security is the bulk of the costs moving forward.

Seems almost like free money. I would think that if Apple Pay becomes THE standard, revenue and profits would skyrocket.
I don't know how much there is to be made for apple is the grand scheme of things. Even if the mobile payment market reaches say 100B/yr in the next few years, and apple were to handle all of that which they won't at say 1% which is probably high, that's only 1B for them. Granted that's still 1B, but they just made 18B in profit in one quarter.

NutterButter said:
This is what I mean by the banks protecting their interests. Visa, Capital One, Chase, and every other bank still collect a base transaction fee every time. They pad their fees even more when they use their own mobile payment solution. Apple can come up with their own way but they're still going to pay the banks a base transaction fee. Unless Apple intends to act like a bank here, where they hold the money a la PayPal, I don't see this upsetting the current paradigm.

[icon] said:
Banks won't have much choice if the public adopts apple pay and Google wallet en masse. Android and apple are "cool" but banks are not. They are unlikely to be able to launch a competitn solution largely because they wont work together.

People want something simple and transparent. There are hundreds of millions of iPhones in use... The number that are apple pay compatible will be massive soon. If people demand to pay for stuff by putting their finger on the sensor, banks won't have a choice.
I don't find Apple Pay any more convenient than just pulling out a credit card. Until we get to the point where we can fully transition to a digital wallet, I don't think there will be massive consumer demand for this. We'll see I guess.

tommyGunZ said:
Apple Pay is the next big thing, sorry Samsung.
Have you seen the architecture behind Apple Pay? There's a reason banks were so resistant. Either way, not sure what any of that has to do with Samsung. This is an app not a device feature.
"Were" is the key statement. My understanding is that they are all sold on the technology now, and the big CC companies are treating Apple Pay transactions as "card present" since the security is so good.
If they are "card present" all that means is Apple was taken out of the equation and they simply a pass through, which is how it should be given Apple's original design. However, it doesn't really speak to how secure the whole transaction is. It's simply saying "it's good enough to be treated as if the person was holding the card in their hand to do the transaction".

NutterButter said:
It's a joint effort with WF....can't speak to the other banks. WF also has pay by text and by email, plus all their credit cards are now using (or are scheduled to use) the chips embedded in the card. This essentially the same thing as what is installed in IPhone6 hardware. They've been rolling it out for the last 18 months and are pretty close to being finished.

[icon] said:
Banks won't have much choice if the public adopts apple pay and Google wallet en masse. Android and apple are "cool" but banks are not. They are unlikely to be able to launch a competitn solution largely because they wont work together.

People want something simple and transparent. There are hundreds of millions of iPhones in use... The number that are apple pay compatible will be massive soon. If people demand to pay for stuff by putting their finger on the sensor, banks won't have a choice.
I don't find Apple Pay any more convenient than just pulling out a credit card. Until we get to the point where we can fully transition to a digital wallet, I don't think there will be massive consumer demand for this. We'll see I guess.
I detailed this above but here's my personal comparison. Your mileage may vary. For me, I almost always have my phone in my hand while checking out (browsing web, checking email, etc) as a timewaster.

Apple Pay:

1) Hold phone against receiver

2) Press thumb to Touch ID for 1-2 seconds.

Credit/Debit Card"

1) Reach into back pocket and pull out wallet

2) Open wallet, select credit card

3) Swipe card

4) Wait... select Credit or Debit

4b) If using debit, key in PIN

5) Cash Back?

6) Sign Name

7) Place card back in wallet

8) Place wallet back in rear pocket

There are substantial extra steps involved in using a credit card over Apple Pay for me. You might keep your phone somewhere hard to get to, may not have TouchID enabled so you have to enter a pin to open your phone, etc. But for most folks an Apple Pay transaction will take about 4-5 seconds and a credit card transaction will take 30-45 seconds.

I realize we're picking nits here and both are quite simple. I understand there is some resistance to mobile pay among some folks... but it's very difficult to argue that it's not simpler and quicker. :shrug:

This must be a Memphis thing icon. Card readers around me know if it's a credit card so it skips everything not related to credit. I have two steps (since i carry my wallet in my hand). Touch card to reader, enter pin. Does Apply Pay not allow you to get cash back when using a debit card? You seem to be "reaching" in your scenarios of inconvenience a good bit here.

[icon] said:

I detailed this above but here's my personal comparison. Your mileage may vary. For me, I almost always have my phone in my hand while checking out (browsing web, checking email, etc) as a timewaster.

Apple Pay:

Credit/Debit Card"

3) Swipe card

5) Cash Back?

6) Sign Name

There are substantial extra steps involved in using a credit card over Apple Pay for me. You might keep your phone somewhere hard to get to, may not have TouchID enabled so you have to enter a pin to open your phone, etc. But for most folks an Apple Pay transaction will take about 4-5 seconds and a credit card transaction will take 30-45 seconds.

I realize we're picking nits here and both are quite simple. I understand there is some resistance to mobile pay among some folks... but it's very difficult to argue that it's not simpler and quicker. :shrug:
And the average red light could be 1 to 3 minutes....

If you're talking about saving only 30 to 40 seconds by using Apple Pay, I really don't see it as being that big of a deal.

NutterButter said:
It's a joint effort with WF....can't speak to the other banks. WF also has pay by text and by email, plus all their credit cards are now using (or are scheduled to use) the chips embedded in the card. This essentially the same thing as what is installed in IPhone6 hardware. They've been rolling it out for the last 18 months and are pretty close to being finished.
correct! the banks are all switching to this after the data breaches at Home Depot, Target and more. Europeans do this currently, too, I believe. it's going to mitigate a lot of the security concerns that consumers have.

NutterButter said:
correct! the banks are all switching to this after the data breaches at Home Depot, Target and more. Europeans do this currently, too, I believe. it's going to mitigate a lot of the security concerns that consumers have.
Now, with Apple Pay, you have to make sure your phone doesn't get hacked to get that CC number. Social hacking is more prominent now than ever before. Better make sure your phone is on lockdown.

[icon] said:

Apple Pay:

Credit/Debit Card"

3) Swipe card

5) Cash Back?

6) Sign Name

I'm all for the little things that make life simpler and quicker, but I can't remember the last time one of my credit card transactions took longer than 10 seconds, let alone averaging 30-45.

This must be a Memphis thing icon. Card readers around me know if it's a credit card so it skips everything not related to credit. I have two steps (since i carry my wallet in my hand). Touch card to reader, enter pin. Does Apply Pay not allow you to get cash back when using a debit card? You seem to be "reaching" in your scenarios of inconvenience a good bit here.
Agree to disagree.... You walk around with your wallet in your hand and credit card out and at the ready and don't bother putting it away so wallet is just as fast for you.... I walk around with my phone in my hand so Apple Pay is faster for me. :cool:

Agree to disagree.... You walk around with your wallet in your hand and credit card out and at the ready and don't bother putting it away so wallet is just as fast for you.... I walk around with my phone in my hand so Apple Pay is faster for me. :cool:
Not sure which part you are disagreeing with...I guess the reaching? Dunno...seems a bit overblown to me and several others it seems. If it's about the card readers, that's how the technology works if you have a card with a chip in it :shrug: Touch and sign if it's credit. If it's debit it offers the option to get cash. I'm surprised Apply Pay doesn't allow that. Seems like they're missing the boat there.

I'm all for the little things that make life simpler and quicker, but I can't remember the last time one of my credit card transactions took longer than 10 seconds, let alone averaging 30-45.
For kicks, I just made a purchase at Walgreens using a credit card. phone timer on it. Used a CC not debit to avoid the step of choosing debit/CC. From taking out the wallet/card, swipe, wait, sign, placing card back in wallet and back in pocket it was 21 seconds. That was moving realistically/deliberately but not racing. If you walk around with your CC in your hand I could see 10 seconds.

AGAIN: We are splitting nits here.... but not having to enter pins, sign name, etc is handy for someone like me who just wants to be out of the store as conveniently as possible. Others may not mind the process. That's cool too.

The market will speak as to how popular it will be over the next few years. in the meantime, I personally appreciate the convenience. :thumbup:

Apple Pay:

You're leaving out a lot of steps and assuming people already have their phones out. When you take your stuff to register you probably don't have your phone out being used. How many steps from pulling your phone from your pocket to paying?

Not sure which part you are disagreeing with...I guess the reaching? Dunno...seems a bit overblown to me and several others it seems. If it's about the card readers, that's how the technology works if you have a card with a chip in it :shrug: Touch and sign if it's credit. If it's debit it offers the option to get cash. I'm surprised Apply Pay doesn't allow that. Seems like they're missing the boat there.
:lol:

Commish walking around town?

Just busting your balls buddy.. i'm glad you're happy with your credit cards. Carry on fellas. Back in the office now.

Apple Pay:

You're leaving out a lot of steps and assuming people already have their phones out. When you take your stuff to register you probably don't have your phone out being used. How many steps from pulling your phone from your pocket to paying?
I don't think anyone is saying this is life changing, but there is zero doubt that Apple Pay is more convenient than using your card.

Have you guys used it?

[icon] said:

Apple Pay:

Credit/Debit Card"

3) Swipe card

5) Cash Back?

6) Sign Name

You left out the step where cashiers will often ask to see your ID if you are using a credit card.

For kicks, I just made a purchase at Walgreens using a credit card. phone timer on it. Used a CC not debit to avoid the step of choosing debit/CC. From taking out the wallet/card, swipe, wait, sign, placing card back in wallet and back in pocket it was 21 seconds. That was moving realistically/deliberately but not racing. If you walk around with your CC in your hand I could see 10 seconds.
AGAIN: We are splitting nits here.... but not having to enter pins, sign name, etc is handy for someone like me who just wants to be out of the store as conveniently as possible. Others may not mind the process. That's cool too.

The market will speak as to how popular it will be over the next few years. in the meantime, I personally appreciate the convenience. :thumbup:
Was it fun?

[icon] said:

Apple Pay:

Credit/Debit Card"

3) Swipe card

5) Cash Back?

6) Sign Name

If you aren't walking around using your iPhone in the store like a dork, the steps are basically the same.

Yeah, I get it. I remember trying to explain to you or goonsquad back in the day why the way my jailbroken iPhone handled bluetooth on/off was much better than stock because of the ease and efficiency. But what made that a bigger deal for me was that I was usually turning it on or off while driving or something, when the attention was needed elsewhere.

Here, even if it's a quick purchase, you can take out your wallet and card while ordering your coffee or while the cashier is ringing up your pack of gum, and for those little things you usually don't have to sign. And if it's a bigger purchase like groceries, you can do the whole operation (other than sign) while your stuff is being rung up. What else would you being doing other than standing there watching the cashier anyway? You can still talk to the person next to you, flirt with the cashier, or whatever floats your boat while doing it. And you can put the wallet back in your pocket as you walk away, so it's not like you're really taking any longer.

So anyway, I agree with you that if it's easy and more efficient, then it's probably only a matter of time before it's commonplace. Eventually, the person using a credit card will probably be the new version of today's check-writer. It's just easy to make it sound like a bigger difference than it really is by not focusing on actual time savings.

Btw, did you really stand there and wait to sign after swiping and not use that time to put the card and wallet back in your pocket? :lol: just at picturing you doing that.

[icon] said:

Apple Pay:

Credit/Debit Card"

3) Swipe card

5) Cash Back?

6) Sign Name

You left out the step where cashiers will often ask to see your ID if you are using a credit card.
The cashier at Starbucks isn't asking for ID or a signature for 99% of purchases either.

I'm sure happy AAPL keeps going up as I have an enormous amount of it when you factor in how much aapl my S&P 500 index funds hold, but I sure don't understand the hype or why people really give that much of a #### about their tech or why they overpay for it. I suppose it's in the same way I don't get fashionable clothing, art, haircuts that are over $15, buying coffee from a shop when it's really easy to make at home, etc, etc.

Credit/Debit Card"

1) Pull out wallet, select credit card (before items are even rung up)

2) Swipe card, place card in wallet, put wallet in pocket (while processing).

3) Sign Name
The only real difference I see is there's no need to sign your name with Apple Pay. Other than that it's not faster for normal people.

It's not just Apple that is developing mobile pay, it's Google and other players as well. Perhaps you guys are right, and the best companies of our generation have their heads up their asses.

I'm sure happy AAPL keeps going up as I have an enormous amount of it when you factor in how much aapl my S&P 500 index funds hold, but I sure don't understand the hype or why people really give that much of a #### about their tech or why they overpay for it. I suppose it's in the same way I don't get fashionable clothing, art, haircuts that are over $15, buying coffee from a shop when it's really easy to make at home, etc, etc.
You don't get it, or don't agree with it? You're a smart person and we all know your retirement objective, so while I completely understand you don't agree with those decisions, I don't believe you honestly don't understand why people make those decisions.

Credit/Debit Card"

1) Pull out wallet, select credit card (before items are even rung up)

2) Swipe card, place card in wallet, put wallet in pocket (while processing).

3) Sign Name
The only real difference I see is there's no need to sign your name with Apple Pay. Other than that it's not faster for normal people.
I've never been in enough of a hurry to need apple pay or the google equivalent.

Nor do i generally shop at places that are going to have some insane line where i'm going to be in a rush.

Other than a fast morning overpriced coffee at like $tarbuck$ I can't see where you would really need this.

You don't get it, or don't agree with it? You're a smart person and we all know your retirement objective, so while I completely understand you don't agree with those decisions, I don't believe you honestly don't understand why people make those decisions.
valid point.

primarily I don't agree with it.

but secondarily I feel like in general most people aren't even tech savvy enough to take advantage of any difference (if there even is one) between AAPL and a standard android model phone. No one I know that has an iphone can do as many things as slick as I can do them with my ####ty S3 mini.. and that's not apple's fault.. that's because the people with the phones aren't in need of the power of the devices that they have... they just make calls, text, play some stupid games, take selfie's, and use social media.

it's such overkill. If somehow apple is a fashion statement like Miss Me Jeans or Diesel or something then maybe I could get it even if I think those are waste's of money also.

valid point.

but secondarily I feel like in general most people aren't even tech savvy enough to take advantage of any difference (if there even is one) between AAPL and a standard android model phone. No one I know that has an iphone can do as many things as slick as I can do them with my ####ty S3 mini.. and that's not apple's fault.. that's because the people with the phones aren't in need of the power of the devices that they have... they just make calls, text, play some stupid games, take selfie's, and use social media.

it's such overkill. If somehow apple is a fashion statement like Miss Me Jeans or Diesel or something then maybe I could get it even if I think those are waste's of money also.
I think that's a big part of it. The tech media constantly compares chip speed, memory size, overall power from phone to phone. Everyone is sold the idea they need the latest and greatest. While it is not a outword fashion statement, it is a "keeping up with the Jones" statement. That's what living 'Murica is all about.

While that is a foolish decision to make financially for a lot of people, it is difficult in 2015 to sell people on the idea they don't need the latest technology.

valid point.

I've been there. Used to love tricking my Droid out so I could do "slick" things.

Now I'm over it. I use my phone for calls, txts, email, camera, and maybe 5-10 apps, total. I want my phone to do those things, and do them well. I've had both, and there is no comparison - Apple simply has a better product.

That doesn't mean it's for everyone. But sometimes the Ferrari costs more because it's a superior machine. Doesn't mean the Accord won't get you to the same place. But the idea that there is no difference between an Accord and a Ferrari is silly, as is the idea that your "####ty" S3 mini is just as good as the iPhone 6. :shrug:

I've been there. Used to love tricking my Droid out so I could do "slick" things.

Now I'm over it. I use my phone for calls, txts, email, camera, and maybe 5-10 apps, total. I want my phone to do those things, and do them well. I've had both, and there is no comparison - Apple simply has a better product.

That doesn't mean it's for everyone. But sometimes the Ferrari costs more because it's a superior machine. Doesn't mean the Accord won't get you to the same place. But the idea that there is no difference between an Accord and a Ferrari is silly, as is the idea that your "####ty" S3 mini is just as good as the iPhone 6. :shrug:
What am I missing from my 2.5 year old Note 2 that the iPhone 6+ has.

Link

It's not just Apple that is developing mobile pay, it's Google and other players as well. Perhaps you guys are right, and the best companies of our generation have their heads up their asses.
:lol: exactly.

Buncha old white guys clutching their DVD players and CD collections poo pooing the future of payments. It's cute and I appreciate the "It's not faster" "Oh wait it's faster, well I'm not in a hurry" mindset. If you don't want mobile payments, that's AWESOME for you :thumbup: 10 years from now your kids (or likely grandkids for some of you fogeys) will laugh at the idea of credit cards or carrying around a wallet. This is where it's all headed.

As it stands now... I PREFER The convenience of ApplePay. Others Prefer a wallet with CC. That's cool. Different strokes. But anyone saying nobody wants this sort of system is either trolling or clueless :)

What am I missing from my 2.5 year old Note 2 that the iPhone 6+ has.

Link
It's not about the specs anymore, dummy.

(Not actually calling you dummy, I know you're not....it's a reference to a colloquialism)

Regardless... I'm checking out of this debate as I've gotten on this merry go round wayyyyy too many times to no know that it never ends. Glllll peas fellas! :thumbup:

What's being overlooked in this Apple Pay discussion is the convenience of not having to carry credit cards AT ALL, if it become ubiquitous. I already downsized to a phone case that holds my Driver's License, my credit card and my corporate card and my photos, insurance cards, rewards cards, etc. were already on my phone, so I ditched the traditional wallet almost two years ago.

So now that my credit cards are already Apple Pay enabled, and my state just announced digital Driver's Licenses are coming, ditching the wallet case could be next.

Regardless... I'm checking out of this debate as I've gotten on this merry go round wayyyyy too many times to no know that it never ends. Glllll peas fellas! :thumbup:
You built the merry-go-round :lmao:

Personally, the biggest benefit I see for those who refuse to turn loose of their phone is that they won't have to carry a wallet. My phone generally stays in my car and I carry a clip with cash and a card or two so that won't make a difference for me, but I can see how digitizing all these payment methods will help those who can't live without their phones.

:lol: exactly.

Buncha old white guys clutching their DVD players and CD collections poo pooing the future of payments. It's cute and I appreciate the "It's not faster" "Oh wait it's faster, well I'm not in a hurry" mindset. If you don't want mobile payments, that's AWESOME for you :thumbup: 10 years from now your kids (or likely grandkids for some of you fogeys) will laugh at the idea of credit cards or carrying around a wallet. This is where it's all headed.

As it stands now... I PREFER The convenience of ApplePay. Others Prefer a wallet with CC. That's cool. Different strokes. But anyone saying nobody wants this sort of system is either trolling or clueless :)
Why act this way?

maybe it does.

i've played with other people's apples and really i didn't understand the interface as it wasn't intuitive or easy to use.

I guess you don't know what you don't know... i haven't used the apple and since I perceive no issue with my droid, maybe i'm missing out and will never know.

Same with a BMW or Mercedes or Ferrari... maybe it's a significantly better ride and performance than my Chevy... but I'll never know the difference because i'm not buying what they are selling because I get to my location every day in a satisfactory manner and am happy with that.

You built the merry-go-round :lmao:

Personally, the biggest benefit I see for those who refuse to turn loose of their phone is that they won't have to carry a wallet. My phone generally stays in my car and I carry a clip with cash and a card or two so that won't make a difference for me, but I can see how digitizing all these payment methods will help those who can't live without their phones.
The Commish holding it down in South Cadalaki.

maybe it does.

i've played with other people's apples and really i didn't understand the interface as it wasn't intuitive or easy to use.

I guess you don't know what you don't know... i haven't used the apple and since I perceive no issue with my droid, maybe i'm missing out and will never know.

Same with a BMW or Mercedes or Ferrari... maybe it's a significantly better ride and performance than my Chevy... but I'll never know the difference because i'm not buying what they are selling because I get to my location every day in a satisfactory manner and am happy with that.
I don't blame you. I generally agree with your lifestyle habits - I drive a '99 4Runner, not an X5. That said, if the 4Runner and X5 cost the same, I'd go with the X5. That's why as an Android guy I switched over to the iPhone. They're about the same price, and consumers and critics alike consistently vote the iPhone the best phone on the planet.

What's being overlooked in this Apple Pay discussion is the convenience of not having to carry credit cards AT ALL, if it become ubiquitous. I already downsized to a phone case that holds my Driver's License, my credit card and my corporate card and my photos, insurance cards, rewards cards, etc. were already on my phone, so I ditched the traditional wallet almost two years ago.

So now that my credit cards are already Apple Pay enabled, and my state just announced digital Driver's Licenses are coming, ditching the wallet case could be next.
i don't doubt the mobile wallet-life-experience at all. it's happening because of the things you touched on. it's not just a payment system that is maturing but things like health/medical records, driver's licenses, et al. Apple is just the sexiest of the mobile pay but they certainly aren't the only one. other established banks and financials institutions have been working on this too. i know Apple users - and their are millions of them - want to believe that Cupertino is going to make it better and drive the market when instead it will likely be just another iteration and extension of the existing Apple ecosystem. it will be a tool for Apple users to happily inhabit and that's cool. for the rest of the market and its users? not relevant at all.

Users who are viewing this thread