What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Apple (AAPL) : Tim Cook announces iForum. Dodds and Bryant prepare shut down operations (1 Viewer)

Apple pay might be their biggest mistake. Last stats I saw was only 5% of people with an apple pay enabled phone AT an apple pay enabled checkout terminal have used the service.

I think they really missed the timing on this not getting in when all the POS terminals were swapping to Chip and pin transaction cards. Now they don't want to add this other new tech.
It goes through the Apple network too....I don't need my financial transaction (any part of it) running through their infrastructure.
Not sure you understand how ApplePay works...

Apple Pay, which has a tokenised backend infrastructure, makes card payments secure by creating a number or token that replaces your card details. More specifically, it creates a Device Account Number for each one of your cards.

​According to Apple, the Device Account Number is assigned, encrypted, and securely stored in the Secure Element, a dedicated chip in iPhone and Apple Watch, and when a payment is initiated, the token is passed to the retailer or merchant. The retailer or merchant therefore never has direct access to your card details.
I love ApplePay and use it wherever I can. Super easy/quick... as are most contactless payments.

Chip+Pin scanners are slow as hell. At least the ones I have used are. I try to avoid at all costs.
I'm sure some people used MobileMe as well. And whatever it was for was great. The system simply isn't catching on. Con-tactless payments in general aren't catching on either.

Not even considering Apple until they get with the times and start using OLED displays. Displays are a huge part of their whole product line .. who wants a subpar display ... and Apples displays are horrible. Inefficient, dim, slow, outdated. When is the last time you heard Apple bragging about their Retina displays ... you can't remember because they're outdated junk ... they are like caveman wheels on a modern sportscar.

Apple pay might be their biggest mistake. Last stats I saw was only 5% of people with an apple pay enabled phone AT an apple pay enabled checkout terminal have used the service.

I think they really missed the timing on this not getting in when all the POS terminals were swapping to Chip and pin transaction cards. Now they don't want to add this other new tech.
It goes through the Apple network too....I don't need my financial transaction (any part of it) running through their infrastructure.
Not sure you understand how ApplePay works...

Apple Pay, which has a tokenised backend infrastructure, makes card payments secure by creating a number or token that replaces your card details. More specifically, it creates a Device Account Number for each one of your cards.

​According to Apple, the Device Account Number is assigned, encrypted, and securely stored in the Secure Element, a dedicated chip in iPhone and Apple Watch, and when a payment is initiated, the token is passed to the retailer or merchant. The retailer or merchant therefore never has direct access to your card details.
I love ApplePay and use it wherever I can. Super easy/quick... as are most contactless payments.

Chip+Pin scanners are slow as hell. At least the ones I have used are. I try to avoid at all costs.
I understand exactly how it works. Our auth team helped them with a POC when this thing was starting. I don't need any part of my financial transaction going through Apple infrastructure, even if it's the hash portion only (which is essentially the "secure element" is in their description..

Not even considering Apple until they get with the times and start using OLED displays. Displays are a huge part of their whole product line .. who wants a subpar display ... and Apples displays are horrible. Inefficient, dim, slow, outdated. When is the last time you heard Apple bragging about their Retina displays ... you can't remember because they're outdated junk ... they are like caveman wheels on a modern sportscar.
:lol:

Isn't he so cute with all his adjectives and hyperbole...

Super AMOLED is certainly newer tech, but the jury is out on whether it's better in every regard. The power savings are negligible and present in certain but not all situations. The blacks are certainly blacker, but the colors on AMOLED are frequently over saturated, whereas on IPS screens they are generally considered to be more accurate/lifelike, which is why professional photographers and digital artists. shun AMOLED in favor of IPS right now. It's not unlike when LCD emerged vs Plasma. Plasma sets were (and still are) considered to be far better picture quality because they were more accurate.

Finally, pixel for pixel, IPS screens generally appear sharper due to the more even pixel distribution. While AMOLED is certainly improving... it has its flaws.

Your hyperbolic comparisons are certainly good for a laugh, though... please carry on. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand exactly how it works. Our auth team helped them with a POC when this thing was starting. I don't need any part of my financial transaction going through Apple infrastructure, even if it's the hash portion only (which is essentially the "secure element" is in their description..
So you feel traditional infrastructure is more secure? Please elaborate.

I know next to nothing about "Apple TV" or their future with cars but both are intriguing, especially considering the hoard of cash they are sitting on, their insane brand loyalty, and the single-digit P/E ratio. Don't see how they're not a screaming buy, unless both the TV and the Car are empty pipe-dreams. Anyone have real info on those projects? I've been starting to see Apple TV ads--what are we talking about, new hardware trying to take on Netflix, Hulu, etc?

I know next to nothing about "Apple TV" or their future with cars but both are intriguing, especially considering the hoard of cash they are sitting on, their insane brand loyalty, and the single-digit P/E ratio. Don't see how they're not a screaming buy, unless both the TV and the Car are empty pipe-dreams. Anyone have real info on those projects? I've been starting to see Apple TV ads--what are we talking about, new hardware trying to take on Netflix, Hulu, etc?
Apple TV has been around a long time now (they're on the 4th generation). It's basically just a digital media player that lets you stream to your TV, similar to a Roku, Amazon Fire, or Chromecast. Nothing futuristic or anything.

[icon] said:
The Commish said:
At this point people are sticking with Apple because they are either loyal, used to the software, or have all their apps and settings on IOS. Better specs than Apple have always been available.

[icon] said:
The Commish said:
At this point people are sticking with Apple because they are either loyal, used to the software, or have all their apps and settings on IOS. Better specs than Apple have always been available.
Orrrr maybe they prefer the OS, and don't dork out about "specs" as long as the phone does what it needs to :shrug:

But I get that some dudes like to FAP to Ghz. Different strokes!

Apple TV has been around a long time now (they're on the 4th generation). It's basically just a digital media player that lets you stream to your TV, similar to a Roku, Amazon Fire, or Chromecast. Nothing futuristic or anything.
Thanks, kind of scary that I know no one who pimps Apple TV after it being around for a while. I don't live under a rock. I need to think on this investment obviously.

The car thing seems so dumb. I always assumed they weren't actually making an actual car but we're making the interface / interior displays for companies that make cars.

This Tim Cook guy is not creating anything. Maybe the Steve Jobs "genius" was hype but there is no arguing his run starting with the iPod.
I agree. I can't say I'm interested in an Apple Car.
Funny. Reminds me of 10 years ago when there was talk about an "Apple phone" and people were all sitting around saying "yeah, I just can't imagine that I'd be interested in an Apple phone. I mean, they make computers."

The car thing seems so dumb. I always assumed they weren't actually making an actual car but we're making the interface / interior displays for companies that make cars.

This Tim Cook guy is not creating anything. Maybe the Steve Jobs "genius" was hype but there is no arguing his run starting with the iPod.
Funny. Reminds me of 10 years ago when there was talk about an "Apple phone" and people were all sitting around saying "yeah, I just can't imagine that I'd be interested in an Apple phone. I mean, they make computers."
But smart phones in general weren't a big deal and as main stream 10 years ago.

Of course people would think the idea of an Apple phone would be odd.

[icon] said:
The Commish said:
Orrrr maybe they prefer the OS, and don't dork out about "specs" as long as the phone does what it needs to :shrug: But I get that some dudes like to FAP to Ghz. Different strokes!
Or maybe they're lemmings and think an iPhone is the "cool" thing to have?

[icon] said:
The Commish said:
I don't know how to say it any differently. I don't need any part of my financial transaction going through Apple's infrastructure. To answer your vague question, I'd have to know the infrastructure everywhere and I don't. I only know how our institution stacks up when it comes to security and I can say with all the confidence in the world, it isn't close. There's a reason my institution held off from implementing with Apple at the beginning. WF is now onboard with Apply Pay because they do things slightly different with WF owned cards than everyone else. This last sentence is one made based on knowledge as of last March. If they're smart, they (Apple) is moving forward with the WF approach to everyone. It's very similar to the way the Visa transactions work with WF....no need to go to Samsung infrastructure for any of it.

The jump from computer and iPod to a phone seems a a whole lot smaller than the jump from phone and toy watch to a car.

A really odd choice to jump into making cars if that's even what they are doing. Buy Twitter and Uber and incorporate that into your phone, make a car UI that interacts better with your phone, looks cooler, works better, etc. Making transmissions and designing drive trains and suspensions is nuts to me for them to do.

Honestly their phone user interface is far overdue for an overhaul. They've for all intents added nothing all that useful since about IOS5 and even that is arguable.

The entire icon dock and screen model seems so old fashioned. Great idea, time to move forward to something else.

Honestly their phone user interface is far overdue for an overhaul. They've for all intents added nothing all that useful since about IOS5 and even that is arguable.

The entire icon dock and screen model seems so old fashioned. Great idea, time to move forward to something else.
To what? Outside of widgets what should they do?

[icon] said:
The Commish said:
Orrrr maybe they prefer the OS, and don't dork out about "specs" as long as the phone does what it needs to :shrug: But I get that some dudes like to FAP to Ghz. Different strokes!
Or maybe they're lemmings and think an iPhone is the "cool" thing to have?
iPhone hasn't been the "Cool new phone" for some time now....

It's odd that grown men who have preferences for one brand of product have such difficulty grasping the idea that some folks might simply have a preference for another brand of product. :loco:

I'm a former Android user and just recently switch to an iPhone over the summer. Honestly, both OSes are so close to each other now that there isn't really much the differentiates the 2 anymore. Widgets really is about the only thing and honestly, I didn't even use that many widgets on Android anyway.

Seems both OSes are kind of at a stalemate for now. I'm not sure what either could add at the moment to really put themselves in front of the other.

It really is all preference at this point. I switched to Apple because the majority of people I talk to on a regular basis have an iPhone. Android doesn't play nice with iMessage, so I wasn't getting texts from time to time.

Whoever finds a way to crank the most battery life into their phone, will be the big winner, IMO.

The home screen should be far more useful than a wall of icons. Whether you call that widgets or whatever it's pointless, but they really need to overhaul that system. There's literally no reason at all that there isn't a native screen for imessage, mail, and relevant info. Probably facebook, flipboard, etc. The notification drop down system was a half ### idea that they have stuck with for no apparent reason.

It's just amazing that iphone users can't just swipe through their most useful native apps in 2016.

I mean what's the single first thing you see people do with a phone. Unlock, tap imessage, go. It's just an extra step that could be integrated into the UI so much more effectively. You need to find a way that isn't hardware based now to push migration, while UI is free having a more beefy hardware with a more beefy software package seems the best way to drive upgrades.

If they make this new UI on the iPhone anything like what they have done to iTunes I'll just keep my old fashion iPhone. TIA Apple.

The home screen should be far more useful than a wall of icons. Whether you call that widgets or whatever it's pointless, but they really need to overhaul that system. There's literally no reason at all that there isn't a native screen for imessage, mail, and relevant info. Probably facebook, flipboard, etc. The notification drop down system was a half ### idea that they have stuck with for no apparent reason.

It's just amazing that iphone users can't just swipe through their most useful native apps in 2016.

I mean what's the single first thing you see people do with a phone. Unlock, tap imessage, go. It's just an extra step that could be integrated into the UI so much more effectively. You need to find a way that isn't hardware based now to push migration, while UI is free having a more beefy hardware with a more beefy software package seems the best way to drive upgrades.
Helpful thanks. I would say my time is spent evenly between email, Internet, text, and "other" so not sure what i would do there. The notification drop is a #### show, that is true.

If they make this new UI on the iPhone anything like what they have done to iTunes I'll just keep my old fashion iPhone. TIA Apple.
Oh, they have proven they can screw up a perfect UI and make it unusable.

It's just hard now to make people upgrade every year given there really isn't any reason outside of form factor to upgrade. I mean I had no idea they even dropped an Iphone6s until reading through the earnings notes. Has any phone ever dropped with less hype? If the phones can't hype it then they need to swap to the software side to drive sales, that's all.

I mean windows basically pushed intel along making OS ever more bloated and CPU intensive. This is the model they need. Keep pushing the limits on the hardware with new software features. That's all.

P/E below 10 this morning. Insane how cheap this stock is in a year where there is going to be a major phone upgrade. The stock buyback guys are going to be extremely busy the next few weeks; should be a massive buy this quarter.

Wish I had more dry powder.

NutterButter said:
So are you guys telling me you don't see Apple stock getting back into the 130's?
It will. In due time.

Ridiculous cheap again (strip out the cash and they are a sub 7 multiple it's ridiculous). Company prints money, and China growth will again be huge long term. Block out short term noise (Yeah China slow down challenges again short term). I remember the same crap being said when it fell last time and I was a big buyer.....it paid off yet again.

This company is a wet dream balance sheet. Billion users. They will monetize that. The Apple bears are roaring yet again.

Ignore them and if you never have owned the stock this is a nice long term entry point if you believe in the brand, and future of Apple. The Bears will say they are going no where and won't invent anything new.

The I-Phone is a staple and they will keep refreshing it. And people will keep buying it. They have not stopped yet.

Isn't Android icon dock and screen as well? It's been a few months since I've played with my folks S5 (which was buggy as hell) but I seem to recall it being a similar setup.

The I-Phone is a staple and they will keep refreshing it. And people will keep buying it. They have not stopped yet.
This is what could be concerning a bit, IMO. Now that most, if not all, the major carriers are doing away with 2-year contracts, I think people may hold onto their phones a little longer than the previously did. You'll still have your die hard tech geeks that will want the latest and greatest. But if most people are now paying $600+ for a phone, they may not want to get a new one every year or so. I could be way off, but wouldn't be surprised if that's what starts happening.

Isn't Android icon dock and screen as well? It's been a few months since I've played with my folks S5 (which was buggy as hell) but I seem to recall it being a similar setup.
Which is why they should try to improve on it. I have no idea what the IOS developers at Apple have done for the last 5 years but surf the web and check on their stock options.

I'm a former Android user and just recently switch to an iPhone over the summer. Honestly, both OSes are so close to each other now that there isn't really much the differentiates the 2 anymore. Widgets really is about the only thing and honestly, I didn't even use that many widgets on Android anyway.

Seems both OSes are kind of at a stalemate for now. I'm not sure what either could add at the moment to really put themselves in front of the other.

It really is all preference at this point. I switched to Apple because the majority of people I talk to on a regular basis have an iPhone. Android doesn't play nice with iMessage, so I wasn't getting texts from time to time.

Whoever finds a way to crank the most battery life into their phone, will be the big winner, IMO.
This. Battery tech is the next big thing in mobile, IMO. As a power-user, I wish Apple would focus a little less on making a razor thin phone, and give up a mm or two in exchange for significant boost in battery life.

I absolutely LOVE iMessage. Such a great universally deployed messaging app on iOS. It's horribly annoying when an Android user ends up on a group text thread. Kills so many good features. :( Thankfully the vast majority of my freinds/family are on iOS.

This is what could be concerning a bit, IMO. Now that most, if not all, the major carriers are doing away with 2-year contracts, I think people may hold onto their phones a little longer than the previously did. You'll still have your die hard tech geeks that will want the latest and greatest. But if most people are now paying $600+ for a phone, they may not want to get a new one every year or so. I could be way off, but wouldn't be surprised if that's what starts happening.
But major carriers are also doing the upgrade your I-Phone (every time a new one comes out eg: 6 to 7 7 to 8) for life deals.

Which is why they should try to improve on it. I have no idea what the IOS developers at Apple have done for the last 5 years but surf the web and check on their stock options.
Speaking as a designer, sometimes you just reach a point there the design is optimal for the function. For me, I have little desire for change for change's sake... there's not much I'd like improved/changed on the current interface.

Surely there is some hack/rom for android that will allow you to customize your interface to some awesome new layout with unicorns and rainbows and lots of animation, no?

Last edited by a moderator:
This. Battery tech is the next big thing in mobile, IMO. As a power-user, I wish Apple would focus a little less on making a razor thin phone, and give up a mm or two in exchange for significant boost in battery life.
That's why it's disappointing to hear they're trying to make the 7 even thinner. Do people want a super slim phone? I don't think there's a huge cry out for making the iPhone thinner. The 6 seems pretty slim to me. I don't have any issues with it. If adding a few mm meant having a battery that lasted 2x longer, then yeah, add the few mm.

That's why it's disappointing to hear they're trying to make the 7 even thinner. Do people want a super slim phone? I don't think there's a huge cry out for making the iPhone thinner. The 6 seems pretty slim to me. I don't have any issues with it. If adding a few mm meant having a battery that lasted 2x longer, then yeah, add the few mm.
Agreed. I love my I-Phone 6 I kept my 4S till the 6 came out (yeah I am a every 2 year cycle guy lol). I don't see a need to get a 7. I will wait till the 8 and see what the story is then.

But there are so many that want and must have the latest and greatest. God bless them.

Seems pointless. Everybody uses cases anyway. More battery life would be great.

Seems pointless. Everybody uses cases anyway. More battery life would be great.
Exactly! I see people with those big Otter Box cases on their phones. Most people aren't worried about the thickness of the phone or they wouldn't be putting big bulky cases on their phones.

Make a phone that is a little more resilient to drops, add some waterproofing, and beef up the battery. That's what people want.

I have a Nexus 6 and I'm hard-pressed to think of anything besides better battery life that I need out of a new phone.

I have a Nexus 6 and I'm hard-pressed to think of anything besides better battery life that I need out of a new phone.
Right. I mean the cameras are all pretty solid on phones now. Screen resolution is pretty good across the board. All of them are pretty quick speed wise. Memory seems to be improving and getting bigger. The only thing left to improve hardware wise is battery tech.

jonessed said:

That's surprising. I still have a 5, which isn't enabled, and Apple Pay (and the better camera chip) is the only reason I wanted to upgrade to 6. Most people I know with 6 use it and love it. Whether Apple Pay succeeds or not, the days of physical credit cards are numbered.
Probably, but when? I don't see wallets and purses going away anytime soon and it's not that hard to pull a CC out of a wallet.
"The reports put Bank of America as being convinced of growth that measures fully 200 fold in just seven years. Yes, by the time 2022 rolls around, the mobile payments growth will reach a combined total of around $3 trillion. That’s up from just $16 billion today, reports suggest, and with both opportunity and threat afoot, there will be opportunities and challenges aplenty."

http://paymentweek.com/2015-9-17-how-big-can-mobile-payments-get-bank-of-america-tells-all-8336/

Based on the latest earnings report, Cook said Apple Pay did well last year.

“Consumers have spent billions of dollars with Apple Pay. In the second half of 2015, we saw a significant acceleration in usage, with a growth rate 10 times higher than in the first half of the year,” Cook noted after touting Apple Pay’s international expansion."

Right now Apple has 34% of the mobile pay market.

I was pretty excited about being able to use Apple Pay when I first got my 6. Haven't used it once in the almost 6 months I've had my phone. Looking at the list of places that even accept it, there's only like 10 or so of them around me and I'm not even sure if they have the right stuff to even use it. When we go shopping, it's usually to Giant or Target. Neither of those places currently support Apple Pay in their stores.

I agree with jonessed, people aren't going to suddenly stop carrying wallets/purses. Unless there's a way that I can have my driver's license stored in my phone, I'll always have my wallet with me, which means I'll have have a CC. It's not really any more time consuming to pull out your wallet and grab your CC than it would be for me to take my phone out of my pocket and launch Apple Pay.

Until more and more places start updating their checkouts to accept mobile payments, I just don't really see it catching on. Especially since people are skeptical of putting their CC info out there in the first place.

jonessed said:

That's surprising. I still have a 5, which isn't enabled, and Apple Pay (and the better camera chip) is the only reason I wanted to upgrade to 6. Most people I know with 6 use it and love it. Whether Apple Pay succeeds or not, the days of physical credit cards are numbered.
Probably, but when? I don't see wallets and purses going away anytime soon and it's not that hard to pull a CC out of a wallet.
"The reports put Bank of America as being convinced of growth that measures fully 200 fold in just seven years. Yes, by the time 2022 rolls around, the mobile payments growth will reach a combined total of around $3 trillion. That’s up from just $16 billion today, reports suggest, and with both opportunity and threat afoot, there will be opportunities and challenges aplenty."

http://paymentweek.com/2015-9-17-how-big-can-mobile-payments-get-bank-of-america-tells-all-8336/

Based on the latest earnings report, Cook said Apple Pay did well last year.

“Consumers have spent billions of dollars with Apple Pay. In the second half of 2015, we saw a significant acceleration in usage, with a growth rate 10 times higher than in the first half of the year,” Cook noted after touting Apple Pay’s international expansion."

Right now Apple has 34% of the mobile pay market.
That article makes it sound like they expect the growth to come at the expense of cash transactions, not necessarily physical cards. Physical cards aren't going away anytime soon.

I was pretty excited about being able to use Apple Pay when I first got my 6. Haven't used it once in the almost 6 months I've had my phone. Looking at the list of places that even accept it, there's only like 10 or so of them around me and I'm not even sure if they have the right stuff to even use it. When we go shopping, it's usually to Giant or Target. Neither of those places currently support Apple Pay in their stores.

I agree with jonessed, people aren't going to suddenly stop carrying wallets/purses. Unless there's a way that I can have my driver's license stored in my phone, I'll always have my wallet with me, which means I'll have have a CC. It's not really any more time consuming to pull out your wallet and grab your CC than it would be for me to take my phone out of my pocket and launch Apple Pay.

Until more and more places start updating their checkouts to accept mobile payments, I just don't really see it catching on. Especially since people are skeptical of putting their CC info out there in the first place.
The fact that it cannot be used without my thumbprint makes me feel very secure about it. So the fear of losing your phone is out the window.

I think many retailers will catch on soon enough and Apple-Pay is going to be a huge thing moving forward over the next 5-10 years.

I agree that wallets aren't going anywhere soon, but I'd gladly reduce my wallet from the 1/2 inch brick stuffed with cards I rarely use to a nice thin one I can sit on without my right cheek going numb. I'm a believer that mobile pay is a disruptive technology that is only in the first inning, and if it plays out as projected, Apple Pay stands to benefit.

The fact that it cannot be used without my thumbprint makes me feel very secure about it. So the fear of losing your phone is out the window.

I think many retailers will catch on soon enough and Apple-Pay is going to be a huge thing moving forward over the next 5-10 years.
Its secure for use. But I think people have a weird thing about storing their CC info online. I'm not saying me, but that just seems to be a general feeling.

They definitely need to get more retailers involved. Like I said, around me, I think there's only 10 places that accept it, 4 of them being fast/fast casual food places. None of them places I go frequently accept it.

It was briefly mentioned upthread but now that my primary CCs require the chip to be inserted into the reader at POS, I'm really surprised at how much longer it takes than traditional swiping. I haven't timed it but it feels like a significant difference and could eventually stop me from pulling out my CC and using a mobile payment system instead.

I agree that wallets aren't going anywhere soon, but I'd gladly reduce my wallet from the 1/2 inch brick stuffed with cards I rarely use to a nice thin one I can sit on without my right cheek going numb. I'm a believer that mobile pay is a disruptive technology that is only in the first inning, and if it plays out as projected, Apple Pay stands to benefit.
Why would I use Apple Pay over a credit card that gives me rewards?

Wouldn't you still get those rewards when using Apple Pay?

Apple Pay uses those credit cards that give you rewards.

It's odd that grown men who have preferences for one brand of product have such difficulty grasping the idea that some folks might simply have a preference for another brand of product. :loco:
:goodposting:

You could copy and paste this into just about every Apple or Android thread ever started.

Such a weird dynamic.

I'm a former Android user and just recently switch to an iPhone over the summer. Honestly, both OSes are so close to each other now that there isn't really much the differentiates the 2 anymore.
This, too. I'm a current Android user who used to have an iphone and often have to do things for my wife and/or daughter on their iphones. There are little things different, but they're mostly just things you get used to being on one or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread