What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Twitter Help (1 Viewer)

HULLOBUDMAN

Footballguy
Let me start by saying that there may have at one point been a thread on this so if you can point me in that direction I would be happy to delete this. I am a 40 year old man who has really been trying to avoid the social media revolution. I have never had a Twitter, Facebook or MySpace page in my life and never inteded to. In the past, I had FBG and maybe another pay website to collect all my information and I faired well in my FFB career. With the wealth of information out there now and the fact that at least 75% of my league subscribes to FBG, I am looking for a different edge. I remember last year how I would begin to see some people beat me to the scoop on some transactions during our First Come, First Served wire transactions and often wondered how this happened. If feel that at this point almost everyone has almost all of the same information. At this point it is just to make sure that you get all the information but to be sure to have it FIRST.

As previously commented I am new to this Twitter arena. I was hoping to put together a list from all the FBG homers out there and get the best person to follow each of the teams in the NFL. If you also have someone else out there that provides great NFL wide updates or FFB updates, please include them. Once we have a few roll out, I will organize and post a list in this first post so it is easily accessible during the year. This way if you have an injury during the year and you want to find out if someone is practicing, you can just start to follow that team's coverage and possibly get a scoop on your opponents.

TIA

HULLOBUDMAN,

Check out this thread:

People worth following on Twitter for football news?

The Social Media Revolution is here to stay, so embrace it, but make use of what tools work for you. Twitter for scooping NFL information is a great idea and the FBG emails come out with breaking news, so you can have those emails sent to your smart phone (in our league, the GMs with smart phones linked to breaking news made the quickest waiver wire transactions.

I also find LinkedIn to be a very valuable tool for my career and for professional networking.

Good Luck!

HULLOBUDMAN,

Check out this thread:

The Social Media Revolution is here to stay, so embrace it, but make use of what tools work for you. Twitter for scooping NFL information is a great idea and the FBG emails come out with breaking news, so you can have those emails sent to your smart phone (in our league, the GMs with smart phones linked to breaking news made the quickest waiver wire transactions.

I also find LinkedIn to be a very valuable tool for my career and for professional networking.

Good Luck!
:blackdot:

HULLOBUDMAN,

Check out this thread:

Good Luck!
Thanks for the reply. I am sure that there is some reason with my server why but FBG's emails are far from timely. I will usually see it on another source a half a day earlier it seems.

HULLOBUDMAN,

Check out this thread:

Good Luck!
Thanks for the reply. I am sure that there is some reason with my server why but FBG's emails are far from timely. I will usually see it on another source a half a day earlier it seems.
That is too bad - you may need to find another source that sends breaking news to you immediately. Twitter can be fantastic - I can pull it up on my smart phone and have the latest news in seconds, and then I can log into the MFL interface and add/drop players right away. We had a scenario last year where a player was picked up in this way, and the GMs who were not using smart phones complained about the disadvantage they were at for first come, first serve waiver wire transactions.

HULLOBUDMAN,

Check out this thread:

Good Luck!
That is too bad - you may need to find another source that sends breaking news to you immediately. Twitter can be fantastic - I can pull it up on my smart phone and have the latest news in seconds, and then I can log into the MFL interface and add/drop players right away. We had a scenario last year where a player was picked up in this way, and the GMs who were not using smart phones complained about the disadvantage they were at for first come, first serve waiver wire transactions.
Yeah, if u r serious about FF and don't have Twitter, you are behind the 8ball. Follow Schefter, he is the best of the best. For Lions info, Tom Kowalski.

HULLOBUDMAN,

Check out this thread:

Good Luck!
Thanks for the lead on Twitter. Regarding LinkedIn, I guess I really do have to use mine. I wish there was a Tweetdeck that included more than just FB and Twitter, and I deleted my Myspace years ago.

HULLOBUDMAN,

Check out this thread:

Good Luck!
:blackdot:
Thanks for this response. I got into it and the link within the link proved to give a ton of links. The issue may or may not be that there are so many links, are we getting the right people? I was hoping to get feedback like I did later in the thread about good reliable sources for twitter. Suggestions like Garrett's for the Raiders and Kowalski for the Lions. I can get a list of names in a lot of places, suggestions would be better. I will be happy to post the list when completed and have a speadsheet ready.

Thanks again for the feedback.

HULLOBUDMAN,

Check out this thread:

Good Luck!
Thanks for the reply. That's exactly why I am trying to lock down the good sources for Twitter. For some unknown reason, FBGs emails just get there late. Maybe because my boss is in my league? Maybe I should grease the IT guy...

Twitter is really a great resource for finding breaking news and it's an invaluable resource for fantasy draft research. I recently added Twitter Player News Search to my web app for creating customized fantasy cheat sheets. You essentially just click on the Twitter icon next to the player in your cheat sheet and it queries the most recent tweets about that player (I use Twitterizer to query the Twitter API). I'm trying it out for the first time this year, and it needs some work, but referencing Twitter is a good sanity-check to perform while you're creating your rankings.

Based on what I have learned so far this year, I would say that instead of following 'the best source for each team', you'd be better off searching out some good Twitter Lists. Twitter lists aggregate collections of similar users for you so that you don't have to seek out individual users. There is so much information out there, that relying on one user for all team resource would be selling yourself short. I follow a good mix of lists, beat writers, NFL writers, radio personalities, and even fans.

Another good resource is Listorious which provides a good list of reputable NFL twitter lists.

I think it's a waste of time. Places like rotoworld monitor the heck out of it so if anything does break on twitter it goes to their site fast. You may occasionally find useful nuggets, but the twitterverse is too large to be able to sift through all the BS efficiently.

It's great for entertainment, but as a tool for breaking information it's terrible.

I think it's a waste of time. Places like rotoworld monitor the heck out of it so if anything does break on twitter it goes to their site fast. You may occasionally find useful nuggets, but the twitterverse is too large to be able to sift through all the BS efficiently. It's great for entertainment, but as a tool for breaking information it's terrible.
Terrible?? Twitter broke the news of the Osama Bin Laden raid and the plan crash in the Hudson. I've also seen some NFL player injuries reported very quickly on Twitter. The one downside I've seen is that sometimes unsubstantiated rumors can get propagated, which can be a bit dangerous if you're not careful.

I added to the other threads after seeing this one... @texansbuzztap is a great one for Texans news. All news, no reports on what they had for their July 4th cookout or talking about the US women's soccer team.

Here is the easiest advice about who to follow on twitter:

1)Find someone you respect ie: @SigmundBloom @MattWaldman @theAudible @AdamSchefter @JasonLaCanfora

2)See who they are following and check out lists they have made as every NFL team has 5+ beat writers/bloggers

3)Click the person's name to see what they post about and how often (go a page deep)

4)Follow who has info you want and un-follow whomever isn't

Twitter is really a great resource for finding breaking news and it's an invaluable resource for fantasy draft research. I recently added Twitter Player News Search to my web app for creating customized fantasy cheat sheets. You essentially just click on the Twitter icon next to the player in your cheat sheet and it queries the most recent tweets about that player (I use Twitterizer to query the Twitter API). I'm trying it out for the first time this year, and it needs some work, but referencing Twitter is a good sanity-check to perform while you're creating your rankings.

Based on what I have learned so far this year, I would say that instead of following 'the best source for each team', you'd be better off searching out some good Twitter Lists. Twitter lists aggregate collections of similar users for you so that you don't have to seek out individual users. There is so much information out there, that relying on one user for all team resource would be selling yourself short. I follow a good mix of lists, beat writers, NFL writers, radio personalities, and even fans.

Another good resource is Listorious which provides a good list of reputable NFL twitter lists.
Thanks for the info. I will definitely check it out. I am still going to collect each individual writer and see how that goes to form my own opinion of which way works best for me. I definitely appreciate your input. Thanks again to every who has posted. I am updating the list and will post when the list starts to fill in bit more. Keep them coming...

I added to the other threads after seeing this one... @texansbuzztap is a great one for Texans news. All news, no reports on what they had for their July 4th cookout or talking about the US women's soccer team.
My thought originally was to have the list as Team: Writers's name: Twitter addyDo you think that is necessary to have and is this one you suggested an individual or a collection of people that use that addy?Thanks.

My thought originally was to have the list as Team: Writers's name: Twitter addyDo you think that is necessary to have and is this one you suggested an individual or a collection of people that use that addy?Thanks.
It looks like it's from a website (buzztap.com) that covers all the teams and sports, so they probably have similar twitter accounts for each team.Edit to add: I just checked out their twitter accounts for ND and the Red Wings and they both look pretty good in signal to noise ratio as well. In fact I think I'm going to drop the Red Wings actual twitter account because I'm tired of getting tweets about fan contests which come in more often than breaking news does.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread