What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Directv NFL Ticket.... (2 Viewers)

Just got off the phone.....decided to play the "honesty card"

Me: Is this client retention?

Very Nice Woman: Why yes it is, what can I do to make your day better?

Me: To be honest with you I have no intention of cancelling. I love my Direct TV....just want to see if you can give me ST.

VNW: Oh, absolutely! Let me see what I can do....

A couple seconds...

VNW: OK, I've gone ahead and given you the Sunday Ticket for free....and I"m going to take $30 off your bill for the next 12 months since you've been such a good customer.

We ended up chatting about BS for a few minutes and then I asked to speak to her supervisor so I could talk her up to him...which I did. He said he would reward her for being such a great rep. :)

Was on the phone all of about 5 minutes....I'd call that a success!

Finally got around to calling.

Started off telling the guy that Dish and Fios were looking pretty good. "He said what if I could save you about $640 over the course of a year?" I said that sounded great, whatttya got?

$20 off for 12 months, Free HD service for a year, Credit for our 2 additional recievers for a year, Free Sunday Ticket. I asked about the Max and he said it'd be an extra $147. I asked if he could help out with that, and he said that if I opt for the Four easy payments of $37, that he could knck off one payment. Then I asked about replacing a reciever that'd been acting up and he said "No problem. It'll take about 2 days to get there, is that OK? I said, sure write it up!

10 minutes tops.

I want to make someone an offer. I usually get Sunday ticket every year. This year, I turned my Directv off, so I will not have a way to watch football in 2012. Last year, I ended up watching most games on my ipad instead of my TV. So if anyone is willing to let me use your sunday ticket login, then I am willing to pay half of your Sunday ticket bill for the year. Then you watch the games on your Television, and I watch them on my iPad

I've been working them this past week. I already got 50% but seeing as how I have been with them for 15 years and I see people getting it for free and $20 off a month I feel a little irked. Then today I get told this... the only people getting it for free are new customers, anyone else saying they are getting it for free is lying to you. I have been very nice this whole time but I had to reply and tell her I have no doubt I am being lied to but not by the people saying they are getting it for free. I tried to reason with her asking if it would be good business to lose a 15 year customer and my $110 a month over $150. Nothing...call twice and both times not only were the people not giving me any options they were borderline rude to me. I have never gotten a rude person before. I really had no intentions to cancel but I am actually thinking about it. I will probably try to call back one more time then wait a day or 2 before I make a decision.

Anyone else running into rude and non-helpful people right now at DTV?

I've been working them this past week. I already got 50% but seeing as how I have been with them for 15 years and I see people getting it for free and $20 off a month I feel a little irked. Then today I get told this... the only people getting it for free are new customers, anyone else saying they are getting it for free is lying to you. I have been very nice this whole time but I had to reply and tell her I have no doubt I am being lied to but not by the people saying they are getting it for free. I tried to reason with her asking if it would be good business to lose a 15 year customer and my $110 a month over $150. Nothing...call twice and both times not only were the people not giving me any options they were borderline rude to me. I have never gotten a rude person before. I really had no intentions to cancel but I am actually thinking about it. I will probably try to call back one more time then wait a day or 2 before I make a decision.Anyone else running into rude and non-helpful people right now at DTV?
They made me lock in my account for an additional 12 months. No biggie since football season covers a third of that and I'm a long time customer anyway.In doing so I got free ST Max, $20/mo credit for the next 12 months and free Showtime for 12 months.Maybe you offer to lock in your account for twelve months?

I want to make someone an offer. I usually get Sunday ticket every year. This year, I turned my Directv off, so I will not have a way to watch football in 2012. Last year, I ended up watching most games on my ipad instead of my TV. So if anyone is willing to let me use your sunday ticket login, then I am willing to pay half of your Sunday ticket bill for the year. Then you watch the games on your Television, and I watch them on my iPad
That's a tough one. We are all getting it for free. 1/2 of free is zero.

I've been working them this past week. I already got 50% but seeing as how I have been with them for 15 years and I see people getting it for free and $20 off a month I feel a little irked. Then today I get told this... the only people getting it for free are new customers, anyone else saying they are getting it for free is lying to you. I have been very nice this whole time but I had to reply and tell her I have no doubt I am being lied to but not by the people saying they are getting it for free. I tried to reason with her asking if it would be good business to lose a 15 year customer and my $110 a month over $150. Nothing...call twice and both times not only were the people not giving me any options they were borderline rude to me. I have never gotten a rude person before. I really had no intentions to cancel but I am actually thinking about it. I will probably try to call back one more time then wait a day or 2 before I make a decision.Anyone else running into rude and non-helpful people right now at DTV?
So they offer a product that is very important to you. They even discounted it by almost half this year, then gave you another half off that!Now, because you feel you should get it for FREE, and they are sick of you calling in and bugging them, you might cancel? :confused: You don't deserve the NFL ticket. Hey, if your time is so valueless you want to call and haggle strangers for a few dollars a week, more power to ya hinklemeyer. I truly hope they kick you out of the program, and never allow you to return. Leave it for those of us that actually appreciate it.I've had the ticket for 15 years, and got it free last year. $199 this year is a steal.

So they offer a product that is very important to you. They even discounted it by almost half this year, then gave you another half off that!Now, because you feel you should get it for FREE, and they are sick of you calling in and bugging them, you might cancel? :confused: You don't deserve the NFL ticket. Hey, if your time is so valueless you want to call and haggle strangers for a few dollars a week, more power to ya hinklemeyer. I truly hope they kick you out of the program, and never allow you to return. Leave it for those of us that actually appreciate it.I've had the ticket for 15 years, and got it free last year. $199 this year is a steal.
May I take this opportunity to recommend more fiber in your diet?

Well I've called for years without much of a problem, this year was a bit more difficult for some reason but the results were the same. After going through the spiel the first lady told me there was no possible way to give the ST Max for free. I told her I did not understand because a couple of my buddies were talking about the new packages and how much it was costing before they both called and got the ST Max for free. After some "explanation" from her I ended up agreeing to the regular ST without Max with the usual $20 off my bill for 12 months with the intention of calling back to negotiate further.

She then transferred me over to a guy who had to confirm that I was accepting the deal. When he mentioned what I was getting I simply said "Before I accept I have a question for you", told him about my buddies getting ST Max for free and she said no way blah blah, he then put me on hold so he could talk to his supervisor. When he came back he the ST MAx was now free and then I promptly accepted. :)

I don't watch the HBOs and stuff so I never ask but I know you can get them for free very easy.

I've said this before on here but the reason I have been doing this is because it's what they expect you to do. The only way they give existing customers deals is if they call in and ask. I was told this by a Dirctv rep quite a few years ago and it has held true every year since. In reality, making a phone call once a year to get the deals they offer is not much of an inconvenience. :thumbup:

I called yesterday to downgrade from ST Max to the regular ST package. Was first offered Max for 39.99x6=234.94, I said no she came back with MAX for $10 so I have ST Max for $209.94 or whatever it works out to be 6 x 34.99. I did ask for any other "discounts" but she said that is all my account qualified for at this time. She credited me with the $49.99 charge that had already been posted so will have to make sure bill is OK when I get it. I love the fact that ST costs are WAY down from last year and that I was able to get $90 off the Max package. I am happy to still have the RZ channel and wife will be happy can watch the Skins game while we are at Disneyland on her cellphone in October now. :thumbup:

EDIT: I did not call customer retention, I called the regular number. I used customer retention a couple years ago and got an awesome deal, just trying to space them out a bit, maybe next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called today since I'd been reading this thread. My contract was not about to expire. I signed up for Direct TV last Decemeber when we moved here. I told them that I saw that they were offering the Sunday Ticket free to new subscribers and I hoped that since I wasn't offered it when I signed up I could get it for free also.The first lady said no way. They sent me to "Retentions" and at first they told me no. Then they said they'd see what they could do since they wanted to keep loyal customers. At that point, she said she could offer it to me for free and I wouldn't have to extend my contract either!!I had doubts that this would happen but after seeing so many others get it I had to try. If I were you I'd try and call back and talk to them some more. It must be just on who you talk to. Make sure you tell them you want to talk to RETENTIONS.GL

It looks like Sunday Ticket will be available to non-subscribers for $250 via PS3 or mobile devices.http://slickdeals.net/f/5079208-DirecTV-Sunday-Ticket-Mobile-or-PS3-NO-Subscription-Required-250-Sept-1st-YMMV
:goodposting: You just made my day. Been waiting for this news all summer long.

For those wondering....the NFL Red Zone Channel as a stand-alone option is not a myth. It's real and I got it.

Current Charges for Service Period 08/25/12 - 09/24/12

08/14 05/13 Red Zone Channel 2012 Special Free Offer 0.00

Also got $20 off a month for 12 months and 3 months free of all 4 movie channels. Took all of 10 minutes and the girl that helped me was awesome. Didn't hurt that she had a sweet southern belle accent. :excited:

Since they started their promo, either last year or the one before, for free Ticket to new subscribers, I have found that all I have to do is call in, ask for customer retention, and say "I don't think it's fair that someone like me who has been paying you $100 a month for years is asked to pay full price for Ticket and the newbies are getting it for free." I immediately get offered Ticket for free with no problem.

Since they started their promo, either last year or the one before, for free Ticket to new subscribers, I have found that all I have to do is call in, ask for customer retention, and say "I don't think it's fair that someone like me who has been paying you $100 a month for years is asked to pay full price for Ticket and the newbies are getting it for free." I immediately get offered Ticket for free with no problem.
That's what I said too. Instant free Ticket

'FavreCo said:
'SCT said:
I talked with them for a while today. Called in and asked for retention. She said she could give ST MAX to me for 6 months at $45. I said no, can I get it for free. No. What kind of deal can I get? I got it down to $34 for 6 months. Not bad...but not happy. So I said, what if I want to disconnect. Then we have to send you to the disconnect desk.Another nice lady. She explained it to me. Since I'm still under contract till next year (I got two free HD DVR receivers last year), I don't have much bargaining room. She dropped the price to $34 for 4 months, gave me $30 of my bill for a year if I signed up for Prime which even at full price is only $5 more than I'm paying for my grandfathered package. $136-$360 > I actually saved $224 on the year.The bonus, she said, look, you are still under contract. If you want ST for free, call back next year when you are not under contract. :thumbup:

For those wondering....the NFL Red Zone Channel as a stand-alone option is not a myth. It's real and I got it.Current Charges for Service Period 08/25/12 - 09/24/1208/14 05/13 Red Zone Channel 2012 Special Free Offer 0.00 Also got $20 off a month for 12 months and 3 months free of all 4 movie channels. Took all of 10 minutes and the girl that helped me was awesome. Didn't hurt that she had a sweet southern belle accent. :excited:
I love the Red Zone channel! For a ff owner, who has yet to shell out the money for Sunday ticket, its the next best thing.

Just called DTV after reading this for months...I ended up with Red Zone Channel for free this year (I am in 2nd year of 2 year contract...gott Sunday ticket free last year...

Heres how it went down (keep in mind I was SUPER polite...important)

Called to cancel service...told rep I wanted to find out how much to cancel the remaining year of my contract ($212)

Finally she asks why...

Well, I only watch the Red Zone channel NEVER any of the games, and I see that comcast offers it for $5 a month and Dish for $7, but with DTV you have to pay $300 just to watch a single channel...I heard from some guys that they got it for the single channel...she then says well DTV Red Zone channel is Better(?) she was indication the Comcast and dish versions were inferior somehow...

so after that she says well how about I offer you the Red Zone Channel for Free tis year only...I said that would be fine...

She also asked how I liked DTV and I said it was awesome, and that it was much better than comcast, we LOVE IT

Needless to say I am a happpy camper..channel 703..here I come

'FavreCo said:
'SCT said:
Thats pretty much what i did too. Free ST.

'FavreCo said:
'SCT said:
I tried the same last night - twice and it didn't work. Tried all the usual angles but they wouldn't budge. perhaps its harder at night than during the day? I will try again today, but they are being stricter than ever with me this year so i am shocked you are all getting a $300 max package for free!

Made my call last night and asked for retention right away... gave him the new subscriber rhetoric and the first offer was 1/2 off sunday ticket and $10/ month for 12 months. I asked if that was the absolute best he could do and mentioned about the unfairness of new subscribers getting it. When he came back, I got ST for free and $10/ month for 12 months and I had to lock in for 12 months. I couldn't get Max but I'm alright with what I got for a less than 10 minute phone call.

'FavreCo said:
'SCT said:
I tried the same last night - twice and it didn't work. Tried all the usual angles but they wouldn't budge. perhaps its harder at night than during the day? I will try again today, but they are being stricter than ever with me this year so i am shocked you are all getting a $300 max package for free!
Let me clarify. I got Sunday Ticket and Redzone Channel for free. I asked about MAX, as I have a PS3, but they wouldnt give it up for free. I'm ok with that. All I really wanted was ST/Redzone on my TV in my living room.

I got NFL ST, HR34 upgrade (records 5 shows at once) and whole home DVR upgrade w/ free install and I end up making money after all of my discounts :thumbup:

I got NFL ST, HR34 upgrade (records 5 shows at once) and whole home DVR upgrade w/ free install and I end up making money after all of my discounts :thumbup:
I called and got:Free NFL ST Extra,

$38 of my monthly bill for 6 months,

$28 for the following 6 months,

a one 1 year extension.

I had to really work them for the Extra; tell them you want to think about whatever offer their giving you (w/free ST regular), they'll give you a special call-back number, wait five minutes & call again and ask for Extra...that seems to be the way to get it. I really like the 30 minute games the next day and that's why I fought for Extrea. I TIVO everyone of them. It's the best way to watch the games for fantasy-scouting purposes.

If they had those 30 minute games with end-zone-only cameras...then that would be the ultimate. One day I hope...

I talked with them for a while today. Called in and asked for retention. She said she could give ST MAX to me for 6 months at $45. I said no, can I get it for free. No. What kind of deal can I get? I got it down to $34 for 6 months. Not bad...but not happy. So I said, what if I want to disconnect. Then we have to send you to the disconnect desk.Another nice lady. She explained it to me. Since I'm still under contract till next year (I got two free HD DVR receivers last year), I don't have much bargaining room. She dropped the price to $34 for 4 months, gave me $30 of my bill for a year if I signed up for Prime which even at full price is only $5 more than I'm paying for my grandfathered package. $136-$360 > I actually saved $224 on the year.The bonus, she said, look, you are still under contract. If you want ST for free, call back next year when you are not under contract. :thumbup:
Call back and get it for free.I simply said Verizon said they wold pay my termination costs and its too expensive with the ticket for something I dont need that much. Be nice, and call until you get it. Good deal, but you can get more.

Just called and got

Free Sunday Ticket including to go

Free Showtime (have HBO) for 6 months

free HD for 2 years (240.00)

Valued Customer discount of 20.00 for 12 months

Free HD DVR and shipping

One time credit of 125.00

Been with them since 07' never had ST, was in the middle of a 2 year contract, they said i had to extend one year but ran concurrent with current contract so only added 4 days to my ocntract, the new receiver though will add 1 year (since it is a 2 year commitment) but i didnt mind cuz i am not going anywhere. Took 1 call and about 20 minutes. Thanks for the thread.

For those wondering....the NFL Red Zone Channel as a stand-alone option is not a myth. It's real and I got it.Current Charges for Service Period 08/25/12 - 09/24/1208/14 05/13 Red Zone Channel 2012 Special Free Offer 0.00 Also got $20 off a month for 12 months and 3 months free of all 4 movie channels. Took all of 10 minutes and the girl that helped me was awesome. Didn't hurt that she had a sweet southern belle accent. :excited:
Confirmed re: Red Zone. It's a stand alone option now, free of charge.

That conflicts with this:

https://twitter.com/DIRECTVService/status/240501055186694145

and a few other places I heard it was going to be $250.

Interesting.
I will pay either with a smile.
Maybe there is a price difference between PS3 and using your computer/tablet.
There is. $299 for PS3, $250 for computer/tablet only.And please...nobody get this because I don't want any competition for bandwidth please :nerd:

I called DirecTV Friday afternoon asking why they're running radio and tv ads saying ST was free this year, yet it would cost me $200. I told them that I felt it was a bait and switch. I also said I didn't call in when they were fighting with Viacom because I didn't think it was right for me to exploit the situation. I was given ST for free... It took maybe 5 minutes start to finish.

Made a call that resulted in ST Max for $110. Guy was adamant that RZ was not available ala carte.

Mad props to you that are good enough to pull a freebie.

1) Every out of market game, every sunday, all in HD

2) Up to 8 games at once on the MIX channel

3) Player Tracker: Track up to 18 players

4) Real-time stats and scores
Question about the Game Mix channel.Say there are ten games at 1:00, which happens often. Can you choose WHICH 8 games to put on your screen, or are you at the mercy of the 8 games they choose to put there?

Part 2: I assume each of the 8 boxes are pretty small on a non-huge TV. It would probably be kick-ass on an 80" flat screen though, right?

1) Every out of market game, every sunday, all in HD

2) Up to 8 games at once on the MIX channel

3) Player Tracker: Track up to 18 players

4) Real-time stats and scores
Question about the Game Mix channel.Say there are ten games at 1:00, which happens often. Can you choose WHICH 8 games to put on your screen, or are you at the mercy of the 8 games they choose to put there?

Part 2: I assume each of the 8 boxes are pretty small on a non-huge TV. It would probably be kick-ass on an 80" flat screen though, right?
1: No. You get the 8 games they feel like showing.2: Yes. In standard definition it looks terrible but in HD even if it is small you can make out the games pretty well. It looks solid on my 50" in HD so an 80" would be great.

Just called DTV and they were swearing that they do not offer the Red Zone channel stand-alone. I told him that I knew they weren't doing it before, but my friends were telling me they got it. No dice.

I ended up just taking his MAX 1/2 price offer, which comes out to $36.99 x 4 = $147.96. I probably could have gotten a better offer by calling back or making more threats, but I think $150 is pretty fair.

Took others advice....called...played the honesty card.

"why do NEW customers get it for free while those who have been paying since its inception get squat?"

Got it for free....but had to commit to Direct TV for a year.

No biggy....I'm not going anywhere anyway.

I cancelled DTV and they called me the next week and gave me $420 credit to come back.(which will pay for 6 months of service) It was the DTV retention department supervisor who called me. No contract and free everything for 6 months including all the NFL games and RedZone channel with online access. HBO, Showtime free too. I only have to pay $70 a month which they credited me for. Free for 6 months. I must have told them to cancel my service 10 times. They said they didn't want to lose me.

I tried simply acting displeased to the retention department but the best the guy was offering was to discount my Sunday Ticket Max subscription from $49 to $35 so I told him I wanted to remove all the sports packages from my account (NFL, MLB & NBA) and the guy didn't budge and removed them all. I then called back and told them I wanted to cancel service at the end of my current billing cycle and when the woman asked why I just explained that I wasn't happy with how existing customers were treated compared to new subscribers.

Ended up spending 45 minutes on the phone but got Sunday Ticket + Red Zone, Showtime & Starz for free for a year plus $25 monthly credit for a year in exchange for a 1 year commitment.

I spent longer reading this thread and preparing then it did to finish the call and get the Sunday Ticket.

Thanks to everyone.

Is anyone's receiver's down this morning with message 726? I'm in Canada technically we are not supposed to have the service here but no way Direct Tv could tell since we don't connect the receivers to the internet.

I've been told not to call in either since they can trace the number. I know it sounds odd but can someone call in and ask if they are doing network upgrades or something?

Is anyone's receiver's down this morning with message 726? I'm in Canada technically we are not supposed to have the service here but no way Direct Tv could tell since we don't connect the receivers to the internet. I've been told not to call in either since they can trace the number. I know it sounds odd but can someone call in and ask if they are doing network upgrades or something?
Sounds like they found you.

Users who are viewing this thread