What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Directv NFL Ticket.... (2 Viewers)

Just tell them you are getting the Madden 25 with the free Sunday ticket offer.

I did that and I got the ticket and Max for free, plus $20 off a month for a year.

I wonder how many calls they get in August/September from younger males explaining how their wife is suddenly trying to reduce the TV bill. I think they know what's going on with that one by now. I just tell them that I want my yearly discounts and haggle from there.
:goodposting: Haha, I want to try that next year.

Annual call, pretty painless.

Called in, said I wanted to cancel service at the prompt. Talk to initial lady, I tell her I want to cancel my service. She asks why and I make up reasons. She says they might be able to offer something. She pretends like she is talking to her manager about special deals. She makes bad offer for $10 a month credit and discounted Sunday Ticket. I tell her go ahead and cancel the service please (this gets you to retention). The call gets transferred to Henry in retention. He offers free Sunday Ticket, updated Genie receivers for entire house, and $25 monthly credit for 12 months. I didn't even feel like haggling at that point and just went with his first offer.

If someone is not to the point where they are telling you a date your service will be disconnected, you haven't made it to the retention department.

Made the call for the first time and here is what I got.

20 dollars off a month for a year

Sunday Ticket free

STMax for 75 dollars but issued a 30 credit 4 payments of 18.75

1 year contract and was told to call back next year and we can do it all again.

Was offered the Genie for 4 rooms free with free install but that would require 2 year contract, I can call back at anytime and add it for free and 2 yr contract.

I was very happy to get the ST free and the Max for 37.50 (free if you count in the 20 a month for a year) and the monthly rate reduction. Been with DirectTV for probably 10 or more years and have only had the ST once...when I signed up.

SO GLAD I STARTED READING THIS THREAD

so I've called customer retention twice now and they're telling me the same thing both times - they can't give me Ticket for free this year because I had it free last year. All they'll offer is $25 in discounts off the bill, free Red Zone and half off ST Max for four payments of around $35 (one of which they'd pay so I only pay 3 payments).

I've been a Direct TV subscriber for three years and am not currently on a contract - I called in last year and got ST for free, no problems. I only had to re-up for a one-year contract. This year I gave them the same lines as everyone else, i.e., A) Dish is cheaper and will give me Red Zone and free stuff, B) my bill is way too high and we're looking at other options, etc. etc. No luck (and the second guy even said "oh I see there's a note here on your account you called earlier and aren't eligible for free Sunday Ticket.")

Any ideas? I'm about ready to switch to Dish on principle since if all Direct TV will give me is Red Zone, I could actually get that and a slightly lower bill with Dish.

Possum said:
so I've called customer retention twice now and they're telling me the same thing both times - they can't give me Ticket for free this year because I had it free last year. All they'll offer is $25 in discounts off the bill, free Red Zone and half off ST Max for four payments of around $35 (one of which they'd pay so I only pay 3 payments).

I've been a Direct TV subscriber for three years and am not currently on a contract - I called in last year and got ST for free, no problems. I only had to re-up for a one-year contract. This year I gave them the same lines as everyone else, i.e., A) Dish is cheaper and will give me Red Zone and free stuff, B) my bill is way too high and we're looking at other options, etc. etc. No luck (and the second guy even said "oh I see there's a note here on your account you called earlier and aren't eligible for free Sunday Ticket.")

Any ideas? I'm about ready to switch to Dish on principle since if all Direct TV will give me is Red Zone, I could actually get that and a slightly lower bill with Dish.
Are you sure youre talking to retention? Even if you ask to cancel it could still be the front line operator you're talking to, they try to talk you out of it with the crappy offer first. If you really are planning on cancelling you should definately try again along the way. It should be irrelevant what you had last year. Just tell them you cant afford the ticket so you're going to Dish.

Possum said:

10th year with DirectV here, first year they wouldn't give me Sunday Ticket for free. Was speaking to customer retention, I'm familiar with the drill.

Got redzone for free, a bunch of discounts for 12 months, new Genie, mini genie for bedroom, Genie go and showtime starz etc free for awhile. I am content since I find myself never bothering to flip channels from redzone anyways. Maybe if I put up more of a fuss they might have given the full sunday ticket max, but I spoke to several customer retention reps and they insisted their system wouldn't let them give full ST package this year to me (I think about $125 for full ST was best they could do).

I'm stuck in a 2 year agreement now, but dvr upgrades were a big priority to us this year and trying to flip channels from redzone to any other game on Sunday seemed like a waste of time since 90% of the time the games are in commercial breaks.

I couldn't get the max for free either. They just wouldn't budge on that one.

Got ST + Redzone free

$30 off for 6 months

$10 off for 12 months

Genie + mini Genie to accompany my 2 HD DVRs free + installation

Had to do 2yr contract because of the equipment upgrade.

Been procrastinating this year but finally made the call. Voiced "cancel service" into the automated system initially, which got me to their 'programming' department. Reiterated the same and was then transferred to their 'retention' department (I know this because I asked each rep which department I was speaking with). Told the guy I was switching to Dish which would cost me less than half of what I was currently paying. After asking me some questions about what shows/sports we like to watch, he said he would check what 'options' he had available to try to get me to stay.

He eventually offered the following (we only have 1 TV so additional/new hardware did not factor in):

• $20 off a month for 12 months, and
  • $15 off a month for 15 months, and
  • Free Showtime for 4 months, and
  • Free Starz for 6 months, and
  • Redzone channel ONLY (no individual game channels)
The above 5 would keep me on a month-to-month basis, but he said he could give me the full NFL ticket Max if I preferred, but I would have to take on a 12-month contract, with a $10-per-month early cancellation clause. Needless to say, I went with the full NFL ticket Max option. It was also funny when he said "we can have this same conversation again next year" after I accepted his offer.

Note: I had made this call last year too and got Redzone+channels (but no mobile access) free, minus monthly discounts.

I noticed he mentioned at least 3 times that I had paid all my bills in time and that I was thus a great customer yadda yadda -- it gave me the impression that that factored into the quality+range of the options they had available to offer someone threatening to cancel service.

Good luck to the rest of you who haven't made the call yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was close to the end of my contract. I got the ticket and redzone for free....no max. I got both my receivers upgraded to hd dvr (before one was hd, other was sd). I got ten dollars off a month for a year. Which, when I include past discounts, it puts me at every channel they offer for 86 a month. Not my best negotiation, not my worst. He was good. I told him I wanted that ipad that dish was offering and he knew that the ipad offer is bogus and called me on it.

I did have to re-up for two years :(

He also gave me a verbal promise that when my past discounts expire, they will replace them. I got his name and employee number. That will give me ammo when I renegotiate mid contract.

They flagged you in the system?!?! Thats nuts. If I were you I'd leave. The last time I left Direct tv, they wouldnt give me crap and I called 3 times. The day that dish came to install, I called to cancel service and they wanted to give me the farm. I told them too late, the dude is in my house. Ever since then, every renegotiation has been rather painless. maybe they keep notes on the account and they have labeled you as a bluffer?

Never even made it to retention. I told the initial operator I wanted to cancel and switch to Comcast who also carries the Redzone channel. She looked in the system and offered the Sunday Ticket (No Max) along with the Rezone for free, and took $30/month off my bill for 1 year.

So they're basically paying me $360 to watch football

This sickens me that people have to go through so much trouble. Just DROP the price and have everyone pay the same amount. I got mine with Madden but to make people "cancel" their services when they have been subscribers for 10+ years is just crazy! How much can they possibly make off it? I mean I have never heard of anyone paying full price for ST. Also there is a TON of people who get it for free.

This sickens me that people have to go through so much trouble. Just DROP the price and have everyone pay the same amount. I got mine with Madden but to make people "cancel" their services when they have been subscribers for 10+ years is just crazy! How much can they possibly make off it? I mean I have never heard of anyone paying full price for ST. Also there is a TON of people who get it for free.
Well not an exact amount but their profit rose from $1.1 Billion to $1.3 Billion from 3rd to 4th quarter last year. So I guess a TON of people do pay full price for it.

My brother ONLY pays for the ST. He's been grandfathered in for the ST standalone service. He's in a very very small minority.

Has anyone else been trying to call this afternoon? I was on hold for well over an hour and accidentally hung up. I've now been on hold for 15 minutes or so after redialing.

Tried to get something last year and no dice, but i wasn't ready to switch to dish. This yr I was ready and said cancel to the robot. As soon as I got to the lady I said I was going to switch, but wanted to check with DTV first. She said thank you, and repeatedly told me how great of a customer i am and how I pay my bill on time and how they wanted to keep me. Before I even got another word in she said $20/mo off for a year, free movie channels for 3 or 6 mo and free ticket and redzone. We talked about some other things, but i didnt want to push it, so I took the deal. She also told me that her department was the one to talk with as she can give the promotions each year. She told me to call back next year after this promotion runs out. I just have to make sure I cancel the ticket from automatcally being added to my bill next year. Thank You Shark Pool!

Can we all call back in now and complain about the NFL scheduling getting worse and worse? We're paying all this money (well, "they" are paying all this money) to get flooded with 1pm games and then 2 crappy 4pm games to watch. It's ridiculous. This is the only voice we have to the NFL.

Can we all call back in now and complain about the NFL scheduling getting worse and worse? We're paying all this money (well, "they" are paying all this money) to get flooded with 1pm games and then 2 crappy 4pm games to watch. It's ridiculous. This is the only voice we have to the NFL.
The NFL managed to turn the Super Bowl into a holiday sometime in the early 80's and now they've managed to turn that into creating 17 straight weeks of a holiday with the regular season where we invite friends over, make special food, etc. just for watching their games all day from brunch to dinner to dessert. And if there's only 2 games at 4pm, then that's a tremendous buzzkill and the "win" that the NFL has manufactured gets crushed by its own doing.

They still schedule it like its 1989 as if all we have are broadcast network to watch the games. We dont. We have Red Zone, Ticket, internet...and we want non-stop action all day long.

Will this change? Yes, it will...but it will take a little while.

The current model of herding us into one, spotlight game at 415pm consolidates the rating and the numbers have been huge. That's a win for the NFL that will be difficult for them to run from because the money is big. So that entire business model is alive and well, but it's not really where the NFL customers want to be...and of course the NFL knows this. They will have to further embrace the customers demands for a more balanced Sunday if they care about making their customers happier, but they wont be running from the 415 national-game-model either. One thing that needs to be finally taken care of is ending CBS' devotion to the US Open on Week 1. That rating is not holding up its end given that it is a prime reason the NFL is not fulfilling the promise of a great NFL opening week schedule.

What to do about it generally?

Not much really...other than call NFL Radio and explain your views there. NFL execs actually listen to it (esp the 6am and 7am hours) and if there's a ground swell there it will have an effect over time.

Just got off the phone. I'm 8 months into a 2 year agreement....so I wasn't in the greatest position. Said I was interested in Sunday Ticket and was looking for a lower price on my bill. She came back and offered me $25 off of my bill for 12 months but said the best she could do about NFL Sunday ticket was a $50 credit bringing the cost down to $100. I said no thank you and asked about throwing in the Red Zone channel and she said absolutely. Glad I made the call...took all of 10 minutes and saved me $300 over the next year plus free Red Zone. I was amazed being that I'm in the middle of a 2 year contract....Verizon would have told me to f off.

Just called, said I was going to switch to Comcast, which we were thinking about to take care of their bundling plan (have phone and internet with them already), she offered ST for free, said yes. Took all of 3 minutes. Mission accomplished.

Sunday ticket website not working for me, anyone else having problems, and yes I own maxx
Is "MAXX" the package that came with Madden 25? If so, that's what I have too and when the site was working 10 minutes ago, I could not for the life of me figure out how to watch any of the channels. Perhaps the most user unfriendly site ever.

Could've seen this one coming from a mile away... clearly they did not care enough to add servers for the dramatic increase in ST watchers due to the Madden promotion.

Morons.

Anyone made a successful call recently?

Got the Heisman twice today. Best I could do was some free movie channels and $30 off the first month of ST at list price $225.

Have done this drill the past 3-4 years now so not a newbie (i.e. had customer retention, threatened to disconnect, etc.).

Waited this long due to uncertain living situation.

If you have Sunday Ticket Max how the heck do you watch on your computer? Everything keeps directing me here, which has links for the smartphone/tablet apps but nothing to actually watch on your computer.

Has anybody made the call yet this year or is it too early still? Time to get me my free ticket and get my bill AT LEAST $20-30/month cheaper. Just don't wanna waste my time if they don't have NFL Ticket to give out yet.

Has anybody made the call yet this year or is it too early still? Time to get me my free ticket and get my bill AT LEAST $20-30/month cheaper. Just don't wanna waste my time if they don't have NFL Ticket to give out yet.
I talked to an operator the other day as I had a problem with my remote. Very nice so I figured I would ask about the Ticket. Nothing availble yet.

Can you get RedZone for free? Last year I got Sunday Ticket Max for free

This year I was able to get after an hour on the phone..

Sunday Ticket Max for $166.00

They were able to lower Sunday Ticket $8.00 from 39.99 and then include max $15.00 a month for free and then give me a one time credit of $25.00 bringing the net total for Sunday Ticket to $166.00 over 6 months.

Way too early to call. I would say August. Also it gives you more months with DirectTV.

I now have UVerse and use computer and sites from oversees to watch Sunday Ticket free. I didn't see paying all that extra money just to be able to get ST. UVerse is less then $100 and I get internet too. DirectTV way overpriced. Maybe if At&t is able to get ST I might come back if they throw it out at a big discount.

Have a friend that works for Direct TV...Heres what he told me.

Best deals are given in mid August...if you want the ticket for free every year and plan on staying w/ Direct TV, you should tell them that you will sign a 1 year commitment (which would expire a couple weeks before football season the following year)and they will give it to you for free, i did it for the last 3 years and havnt paid a dime..they usually give me credits and free movie channels too. (before i learned this trick i did the usual 3-8 phone calls a year waiting for the best deal).

It only works if you are not under a current contract and pay your bill on time.

Good luck, hope this helps.

For the first time I am going to try to also roll the rest of MLB Extra Innings into the deal this year. Anyone try it before?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/07/directv-nfl-sunday-ticket-fantasy-zone-football

Seems overkill on top of RedZone, but hey, I'll give this a spin!
Wonder how it'll be different than RedZone? I feel like as a fantasy addict, RedZone is the best thing to watch on Sundays.
That's what I'm thinking too. This will be like the Sirius Fantasy Channel on Sundays where they do live break-downs of player performance on the fly, only with video vs. the radio. I like the concept and will give it a spin, but I'm not 100% it'll be better than Siciliano's coverage.

Got mine added yesterday for free. Since joining DirecTV 5 years ago, I've had to pay $0 for Sunday Ticket. I pay on time and they know I am a sucker for $5.99 new release movies cause I'm too lazy for Red Box.

Called last night and agreed to a year contract and got Sunday Ticket Max for free and $5 off for 24 months.

Users who are viewing this thread