What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Directv NFL Ticket.... (1 Viewer)

dissapointed, called this year and said cancel to go to retention dept as normal, been a subscriber since 1999, not under contract. Best offer was $25 off for 6 months, no thanks, cancelled. I may try again later

frustrating that there is no red zone only option
It really depends on who you speak with. Every rep seems to have different offers. If they don't contact you before the date you set to cancel then call back a day before and you'll get better offers. May take a couple of calls and different reps.

lol called back 2 hours later, new guy said redzone only was an option for me and gave it to me for free and on top of that gave me $20 off my bill for 12 months without going under contract. I'm happy that is all I wanted, only watch redzone anyway

This time I asked about being under contract and gave the specifics about what Dish was offering and totally different result

I called in and said, "cancel service". It sent me to some premier package rep instead of retentions. I listened to him bumble around and telling me there wasn't much more than $5 off a month he could do, so I asked for retentions.

There, I got a nice lady from Idaho who helped me out. I told her that my bill was too high, but I didn't want to sacrifice any of my programming. I hate saying that because it sounds so dumb. "Hey...I want to pay less and keep everything I already have. I know the logical thing would be to get off the premium package and not have so many boxes, but whatever. Give me what I want!"

Anyways, she offered me $30 off per month if I would go for an additional year. I asked if it would be possible to get the NFL ticket for free to which she responded something like, "I thought that's what you'd say." Looks like she gets this call asking for it for free all of the time. She gave it to me and still kept the $30 off a month discount. After finding out that Red Zone was not included, she said that I would have to pay $17 a month for the half year and suffer through a $13 off for that time period and $30 off for the rest of the year.

I was very pleased with this interaction, which may be the best one yet for my 5 years of doing this. I think that my best results have come from female reps as well. I tend to ask them questions and semi-flirt with them, and they seem to respond to that friendliness. I've done tech support for Uverse a long time ago, and people can be such asses when they call. A little kindness goes a long way to get what you want.

Just called and spoke to Tiffany. Still under contract until December.

Said I wanted to get a deal similar to what Dish is offering. I have Choice package ($70.99/month) and HBO.

Asked if I liked football, to which I replied yes.

Gave me $35.00 off for a year and free ST Max with no contract extension. No hassles. Offered 4 months of Showtime, but politely declined.

Easiest year in a while.

Good luck to all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for those techies...

If I use a friends ddress to sign up for teh streaming version of ST will I need a firewall? Or is all that matters that the billing address is a verfied approved address? Do they track IPs?

If I use a friends ddress to sign up for teh streaming version of ST will I need a firewall? Or is all that matters that the billing address is a verfied approved address? Do they track IPs?
I think it's based on using his username and password to log in. Technically he is able to stream from a remote location thus ip address is a non factor.

I think it's based on using his username and password to log in. Technically he is able to stream from a remote location thus ip address is a non factor.
Correct. I can stream from anywhere using the password/ID combo. Might be on vacation very far from home but can still get in.

My offer this year is as follows:

1/2 off NFL Sunday Ticket Max

$30/month off programming for 12 months

additional $29/month off programming for 6 months (this came as several small credits)

Likely my biggest savings to date. I have the Premier package. Was happy to sign on for another year.

Correct. I can stream from anywhere using the password/ID combo. Might be on vacation very far from home but can still get in.
Do you know if it works outside the USA? In the past, I have not been able to get it to work.

Watch your bills to make sure they are doing things correctly. Mine just had a phantom charge of $30. Took 45 minutes "waiting for supervisor" who never came on. Clerk finally credited the account. It may be an isolated incident but reeks of AT&T.

Do you know if it works outside the USA? In the past, I have not been able to get it to work.
I can't confirm on that one but I'm guessing if it DID come down to an "address" issue, you could skirt that by using a VPN service.

I can't confirm on that one but I'm guessing if it DID come down to an "address" issue, you could skirt that by using a VPN service.
Most likely will not be able to stream outside of USA. When I was in Thailand and Jordan I had to use a VPN service to give me a US IP address. I used Torguard and was able to stream ESPN (rookie draft) and Netflix.

Have tried 3 times so far. First time, 40 mins and best was free ST but no red zone. 2nd guy said he couldnt do anything. 3rd one

offer ST Max + movies for 3 months for $150 + I have to switch packages. I'd settle for free red zone and $5 / mo off. They keep saying that I can't have it free 2 years in a row. Frustrating.

does anyone know if it matters what time you make the call? do the retention people only work certain hours? i dont want to deal with this during the workday but if i have to to get in touch with the right people at DTV i will

You guys might want to try this...I was gonna keep it close to the vest but hey I'm always looking for good Karma. If you have recently just gotten out from under your DTV contract or your expiration is coming up soon, try emailing them when you're logged into your account. Simply ask them "I'd like to know when my contract is complete". They will get back to you *very* quickly with an email and in my case they provided a special telephone number with passcode. This number takes you directly to the retention group. Whatever off they give you at first make at least 1 attempt at getting more...let me know if this works

I'm never very good at this. Getting Sunday ticket max for 60 percent off and another 10 dollars off a year. They actually offered me free redzone by itself, but I still actually like having the choice of watching any game in its entirety .

I still have 8 months left in my contract.

Made the phone call to the retention dept, followed the script.

Girl I got didn't care that I was leaving. Nothing offered.

Waited for the email, never got one.

called back today as my turn off date was Wednesday.

Asked if there were any ST discounts that he could give me to stay.

Gave me ST Max free this year. No additional time added to my contract, so hopefully this time next year, Ill be out out contract and in line for another discount and free ST.

Free ST was all I wanted. TV package still cheaper than cable.

Every year the first month when I see DirecTV add the first ST payment to my bill I know it's time to call in. Logged into my account last night and sent them a message asking if I am still under contract and that I'm thinking of cancelling. Woke up this morning to the following email, and gave the number in their email a call.

Dear Mr. xxx, Hi! Thank you for writing. My name is xxx, and I'd be glad to provide you the information you need regarding your commitment. I reviewed your account and I see that you're no longer under an agreement. This means, you're now on a month-to-month basis. Mr. xxx, we'd like to make sure that you're getting the most out of your DIRECTV service, and we have a special team of agents dedicated and authorized to process account cancellation requests. They'll assist you with any concerns you may have regarding your account, discuss your options before you make your final decision, help you find the best deal tailored to your budget and entertainment needs, and/or process the cancellation if we can't provide a different resolution.Don't worry, for we've set up a special phone line with a Personal ID Number (PIN), for we want you to get connected to a live representative easily. Just call us at 800-824-9081 between 8:00 AM and 1:00 AM ET; and when the system asks for a PIN, enter xxxx (this is good for five days). Mr. xxx, I'm happy for this opportunity to have responded to your email. We truly appreciate your business. Sincerely, xxxDIRECTV Customer Service Was offered:

• $20 off for 12 months
  • Free Showtime for 4 months (no need to call in to cancel)
  • Free ST (not max)
Note: I still have a $5 off p/m discount that's valid for like 11 more months which they gave me last year.

If the rep had given me ST Max free, I would probably have taken it, but she just couldn't get it to come up in her system, nor was she able to add any additional discounts, (politely) citing, "No one ever gets ST Max for free". She said I could upgrade the free ST for $17 x 6 months but I said I needed more. If she had been able to add more discounts to get another $100 (annual) off my bill I would have taken that too, but no dice.

Spent about 35 minutes on the phone with her, though most of it was her 'trying' to find the best deal for me in the system, and other times trying too hard to make football conversation with me -- she asked me what my favorite NFL team was and read off some snippets that seemed like the team's 2015 outlook, from something she called a 'playbook'.

I told her I would dwell on it but will plan to call back tomorrow to try again.

EDIT: She said she would leave the free Showtime on my account for now, and logging in to my account, it also appears to have the $20 off discount applied to it already (even though I didn't accept their initial offer).

Every year the first month when I see DirecTV add the first ST payment to my bill I know it's time to call in. Logged into my account last night and sent them a message asking if I am still under contract and that I'm thinking of cancelling. Woke up this morning to the following email, and gave the number in their email a call.

Dear Mr. xxx, Hi! Thank you for writing. My name is xxx, and I'd be glad to provide you the information you need regarding your commitment. I reviewed your account and I see that you're no longer under an agreement. This means, you're now on a month-to-month basis. Mr. xxx, we'd like to make sure that you're getting the most out of your DIRECTV service, and we have a special team of agents dedicated and authorized to process account cancellation requests. They'll assist you with any concerns you may have regarding your account, discuss your options before you make your final decision, help you find the best deal tailored to your budget and entertainment needs, and/or process the cancellation if we can't provide a different resolution.Don't worry, for we've set up a special phone line with a Personal ID Number (PIN), for we want you to get connected to a live representative easily. Just call us at 800-824-9081 between 8:00 AM and 1:00 AM ET; and when the system asks for a PIN, enter xxxx (this is good for five days). Mr. xxx, I'm happy for this opportunity to have responded to your email. We truly appreciate your business. Sincerely, xxxDIRECTV Customer Service Was offered:

• $20 off for 12 months
  • Free ST (not max)
Note: I still have a $5 off p/m discount that's valid for like 11 more months which they gave me last year.

If the rep had given me ST Max free, I would probably have taken it, but she just couldn't get it to come up in her system, nor was she able to add any additional discounts, (politely) citing, "No one ever gets ST Max for free". She said I could upgrade the free ST for $17 x 6 months but I said I needed more. If she had been able to add more discounts to get another $100 (annual) off my bill I would have taken that too, but no dice.

Spent about 35 minutes on the phone with her, though most of it was her 'trying' to find the best deal for me in the system, and other times trying too hard to make football conversation with me -- she asked me what my favorite NFL team was and read off some snippets that seemed like the team's 2015 outlook, from something she called a 'playbook'.

I told her I would dwell on it but will plan to call back tomorrow to try again.

EDIT: She said she would leave the free Showtime on my account for now, and logging in to my account, it also appears to have the $20 off discount applied to it already (even though I didn't accept their initial offer).
Set a cancelation date two weeks out, call back in 2-3 days and the reps should have more deals in their computer to offer.

This is the one thread I love subscribing to...

Made my call...on hold waiting to get through for about 5 minutes...got customer service and told him I wanted customer retention. He asked why and I told him it was too expensive. He made a note and sent me through.

Talked to Chantel. Told her my wife freaked when she saw my bill and I needed to get it down.

Got the following discounts:

$20/month for a year - Programming discount

$10/month for a year - Premium programming package discount

$10/month for a year - Sports programming discount

$10/month for a year - Receiver discount

1/2 off CMAX and Showtime for a year.

$10/month off HBO for a year.

Total savings - $80/month - $960/year. more than covers the cost of my Sunday Ticket - but I asked about it anyway.

She also told me that they have the 1/2 off Sunday Ticket/ST Max packages but those weren't available today. (apparently they were available yesterday). But she told me to call back in two weeks.

This thread pays for itself every year (=

Has anyone done the Xbox/PS streaming service for Sunday Ticket? Curious as to how many users can be logged in (for instance, if it's like Netflix, HBO Go etc, in that you can have multiple devices on the app, under the same account, watching different programming). 250$ is damned expensive for football (I'm out of state for my home team and don't have cable) and would love to split the cost with a friend.

Have tried 3 times so far. First time, 40 mins and best was free ST but no red zone. 2nd guy said he couldnt do anything. 3rd one

offer ST Max + movies for 3 months for $150 + I have to switch packages. I'd settle for free red zone and $5 / mo off. They keep saying that I can't have it free 2 years in a row. Frustrating.
Thats a bull#### line. I've had ST free for at least the last 5 seasons. They always mention I had it free last year but I just dont engage the point, the offer is still on their computers so its most certainly not a DTV policy. Just tell them it was great to have it free last year but this year the bill is just too much and without ST the service just isnt worth it. Theyll cave, or call back and somebody else will help.

I'm never very good at this. Getting Sunday ticket max for 60 percent off and another 10 dollars off a year. They actually offered me free redzone by itself, but I still actually like having the choice of watching any game in its entirety .
To me, the free red zone by itself is the golden ticket. Give me that and drop all the other monthly discounts on this and half off on that and I'll take it every time. You got lucky. Even though you didn't take it, you must be living life right. It's hard to get a rep that tosses out standalone red zone by itself.

• $20 off for 12 months
  • Free ST (not max)

Just did this and got the email about 30 mins later with PIN. I haven't called yet since I am at work, but plan on it. Thanks!

Called and spoke to Sr Customer Retention rep Cassandra. Not sure how they skipped the initial customer care people but it went right to her. Got 28 off for a year and sunday ticket max thrown in free. Transferred to verification department and they have everything totally different. I must have the worst luck with this company.

Like someone said earlier I think you need to play Dish Network against them. All I did was call and ask when my contract was over? They will transfer you to retention. Retention will say, I see you're calling to see when your contract is over (or something like that). They then will ask, Can I ask you why? I say because Dish is offering a cheaper price per month and that I can get just the Red Zone channel without paying for the ST and Max.

I received:

Free Sunday Ticket

1/2 off S/T Max

free hbo/conemax/showtime for three months

$35 off my bill a month

I said that was great and that I would be happy with that.

I then called back two nights later and did the same thing to get to retention. Once I got to retention I explained how I called a couple of days ago and spoke to them about my contract. I then explained to the rep that Dish called me back and offered me a $200 gift card. The rep said that she wouldn't be able to send me a gift card but she can give me a $200 credit on my bill. I said that would be great and thank you!

I then realized that my home alarm system is now owned by directv. So, I called the alarm company and they applied a $10 credit to my Directv bill a month for as long as I'm with the alarm company. I am under contract b/c of the sunday ticket but that will end next July so I will have plenty of time to do this again.

So, I received:

$200 bill credit

$35 off for a yr

$10 off for life as long as I'm with the alarm company

1/2 off S/T Max

Free Sunday Ticket

Free 3 months of movie channels

and never once did I even say that I was going to cancel, all I did was ask when my contract was up and that Dish Network had been calling me.

Dear Mr. xxx, Hi! Thank you for writing. My name is xxx, and I'd be glad to provide you the information you need regarding your commitment. I reviewed your account and I see that you're no longer under an agreement. This means, you're now on a month-to-month basis. Mr. xxx, we'd like to make sure that you're getting the most out of your DIRECTV service, and we have a special team of agents dedicated and authorized to process account cancellation requests. They'll assist you with any concerns you may have regarding your account, discuss your options before you make your final decision, help you find the best deal tailored to your budget and entertainment needs, and/or process the cancellation if we can't provide a different resolution.Don't worry, for we've set up a special phone line with a Personal ID Number (PIN), for we want you to get connected to a live representative easily. Just call us at 800-824-9081 between 8:00 AM and 1:00 AM ET; and when the system asks for a PIN, enter xxxx (this is good for five days). Mr. xxx, I'm happy for this opportunity to have responded to your email. We truly appreciate your business. Sincerely, xxxDIRECTV Customer Service
This was a great suggestion.

Sent an email inquiring as to when my contract was up and got the email described above within 2 hours. Called and got right through without waiting, directly to customer retention. Just said I wanted to remove Sunday ticket (auto renewal had kicked in) because it cost too much. Was offered $10 off/month for 12 months and $5 off/month for 6 months. Offered Sunday Ticket Max for half price. Said that was too much to spend, and I've been happy without Max in the past. Came back with same discounts and Sunday Ticket (non-Max) for free.

I just did my call, but was not happy at all. I usually get a fairly hefty package, but this year she was offerening only $10 off a payment on ST Max (so $60), and some minor credits. I have had the premiere package for a dozen years and spend at least $160 per month, not including the NHL package, and whatever else I get. She even suggested that since I'm not taking advantage of my 354 channels that I just downgrade my package.

I'll have to think it through and maybe hit the cancel button.

Seems like since the AT&T logo's appeared on their website that the offers have got worse. It might just be I'm noticing the logo's more who knows. I got a big deal a couple months ago.

My situation was a little strange. I moved from the Roxborough area of Philadelphia out to Media which is a suburb. At the time the house that I was moving to was already set up for Verizon and I didn't feel like dealing with dish installation etc. so I suspended my account with direct TV for six months to basically coincide with August and the start of the NFL season.

I made my call to customer service and got eventually to retention. However the best they would offer was my standard choice package and a half off Sunday ticket max. This would have put me at about $160 per month, which I was really not happy with. So I basically told them to cancel my subscription and went through the whole cancellation process.

Yesterday I received the boxes to send back my old equipment. I felt like it was a good time to give it another try. Got through to retention, explained the situation and told them that I was really unhappy with my previous conversation in getting back with DirecTV. I got bounced around to three different people but eventually a woman named Maria helped me.

After all my negotiations I came to the final resolution with them:

The full choice package that I previously had with all the HBO and Showtime, Starz etc.

-$31 per month off of the bill

- $10 per month off of the bill for auto bill pay

- and an additional $10 per month off the bill

- I upgraded to the wireless Genie receivers x3 and they waived the upgrade cost as well as the equipment fees which was a cost of about $150

- Got Sunday ticket max for free

ETA-forgot they are also giving me a $200 gift card.

My final cost for everything pretax is $65 per month, total. I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

Made my annual call. Almost felt bad about how well I did last year (basically DTv paid me ~480 in credits after reducing the 'list' by around $80).

Told them I wouldn't pay more than $100

Immediately accepted (retention, the first rep couldn't go beyond $5/month)

Think I may have left money on the table

:bag:

Still have 7 months on my current 2 year contract. Told them I'd pay the $140 to cancel my service and go to Dish. They gave me ST Max for free, 4 months of Showtime, $15 off a month from total bill. My contract was not extended. I will have to call back in April and negotiate again.

I've been a Directv customer for over 10 years and my contract is up in November.

Just curious, when you send the email and get the automated reply with the PIN number as shown above, when you call, is that already the customer retention department? Or is it just a "go to the head of the line" pass and you get a regular agent?

I called this morning and was not happy. I said I wanted to go to Dish. She said the Dish price was only an introductory price and that the cost afterwards would be the same. Was only offered $10 a month for 6 months off the Sunday Ticket. And if I really didn't want it, I could just go ahead and take off the Sunday Ticket. I kept saying that I was looking for a better offer and a reason to stay.

At this point do I need to say I'm not happy with the deal you've given me and ask for the retentions department? I've done quite well in past years and actually thought this year I would suck it up and pay the $240, but then I thought, what's to lose by just making one call?

I've been a Directv customer for over 10 years and my contract is up in November.

Just curious, when you send the email and get the automated reply with the PIN number as shown above, when you call, is that already the customer retention department? Or is it just a "go to the head of the line" pass and you get a regular agent?

I called this morning and was not happy. I said I wanted to go to Dish. She said the Dish price was only an introductory price and that the cost afterwards would be the same. Was only offered $10 a month for 6 months off the Sunday Ticket. And if I really didn't want it, I could just go ahead and take off the Sunday Ticket. I kept saying that I was looking for a better offer and a reason to stay.

At this point do I need to say I'm not happy with the deal you've given me and ask for the retentions department? I've done quite well in past years and actually thought this year I would suck it up and pay the $240, but then I thought, what's to lose by just making one call?
After hitting the PIN I'm reasonably sure it sent me to someone in retention. Because I was pretty up front that I was thinking of cancelling, and usually at that point if you're not speaking with retention they transfer you to them.

That said, I've made 2 calls so far and haven't gotten anywhere close to what I would be happy accepting. Had to set a cancellation date a couple of weeks out, so we'll see who blinks first.

See mine above-I actually had to cancel and go through the whole process. However when I called back afterwards I got everything I wanted - ST MAX for instance, I was told could not be discounted because I had it last year. After the cancelation they gave it to me for free.

The notion that I'd ever being paying one extra nickel for "Sunday Ticket Max" is a nonstarter

I've never paid anything for it and never will. That's table stakes for DTV keeping me as a subscriber.

The whole ST Max nonsense was a money grab from ~10 years ago when they finally had more than just a few HD games and thought they'd monetize it.

I can believe the torture some of you seem to be going through.

I've never had an issue. Just be polite and firm and explain that you're certainly not paying more than you did last year - and monthly credits count! - and you should find yourself paying less year over year.

HTH

The notion that I'd ever being paying one extra nickel for "Sunday Ticket Max" is a nonstarter

I've never paid anything for it and never will. That's table stakes for DTV keeping me as a subscriber.

The whole ST Max nonsense was a money grab from ~10 years ago when they finally had more than just a few HD games and thought they'd monetize it.

I can believe the torture some of you seem to be going through.

I've never had an issue. Just be polite and firm and explain that you're certainly not paying more than you did last year - and monthly credits count! - and you should find yourself paying less year over year.

HTH
I agree with just about everything you said, and I apply the same line of thinking every year. However, for whatever reason this year I hit a stonewall two or three times and finally had to go to cancellation route. Not sure why?

I've had it from the start and have never called before but this year I did considering the increase. The first time I just said I wanted to cancel ST and she offered $5 off per month, then $10. I said no that wasn't going to cut it. I called again in about a week and said I wanted to cancel the entire service and quoted what Dish would be in comparison with RZC plus Pac12 channel included which DTV doesn't offer (I'm in the PNW). I got the ST for $161.94. I'm not greedy and can afford it regardless but it was just the principle of it. Got tired of my poker group ragging me on how much less they paid :^ / Anyway, I'm happy enough with that and now I'm paying less than any of the poker group...ha ha.

See mine above-I actually had to cancel and go through the whole process. However when I called back afterwards I got everything I wanted - ST MAX for instance, I was told could not be discounted because I had it last year. After the cancelation they gave it to me for free.
I called yesterday and set a cancelation date 2 weeks out. If I don't get an email or call I will call next week

Your successful call was after you had scheduled a cancellation date, but before your service was actually cancelled, correct?

abishagenaden said:
unckeyherb said:
Your successful call was after you had scheduled a cancellation date, but before your service was actually cancelled, correct?
I've been very successful in past years, but as others have said, it seems like it is much more difficult this year. I've never had to go the route of true cancellation, but it seems like I might have to this year.

After being offered the $10 off for 6 months which I think is not enough, I said I would have to think about it and would call back later after talking it over with my wife. The representative gave me an almost condescending "since money is tight I know you have to make the right decisions for your family" and that she understood if we would be canceling our service.

So when I do call back, do you actually say something like "I've decided to go with Dish because they can offer me the same service for less money. I want to cancel my service." But how do you decide on two weeks? Do you say you want some time to think about it and you don't want the service turned off tomorrow? What would your response be if the representative says, "OK, we can turn everything off tomorrow."

I of course am not going to cancel Directv, and I think most of the representatives know that by now, as it sounds like this is an annual thing that everybody does. What if they do call your bluff? It sounds like they shipped you the actual boxes to return your equipment, so essentially they did. If they don't blink (which they did in your case), do you just say, "I changed my mind, I want my same service, I'm willing to pay what I was already paying."

abishagenaden said:
unckeyherb said:
I've been very successful in past years, but as others have said, it seems like it is much more difficult this year. I've never had to go the route of true cancellation, but it seems like I might have to this year.

After being offered the $10 off for 6 months which I think is not enough, I said I would have to think about it and would call back later after talking it over with my wife. The representative gave me an almost condescending "since money is tight I know you have to make the right decisions for your family" and that she understood if we would be canceling our service.

So when I do call back, do you actually say something like "I've decided to go with Dish because they can offer me the same service for less money. I want to cancel my service." But how do you decide on two weeks? Do you say you want some time to think about it and you don't want the service turned off tomorrow? What would your response be if the representative says, "OK, we can turn everything off tomorrow."

I of course am not going to cancel Directv, and I think most of the representatives know that by now, as it sounds like this is an annual thing that everybody does. What if they do call your bluff? It sounds like they shipped you the actual boxes to return your equipment, so essentially they did. If they don't blink (which they did in your case), do you just say, "I changed my mind, I want my same service, I'm willing to pay what I was already paying."
When my second call went nowhere fast (I blame the first rep for 'accidentally' signing me up for a 1-year commitment even though I never accepted her offer, but that's a different story) I asked them to cancel my account. After reading me all the usual 'disclosures' I simply asked if I could schedule a deactivation date a couple of weeks from now, citing that it would take some time for Dish to get set up in my house. The rep didn't seem to think it was a weird request at all.

I am waiting to see if they call me back with another retention offer, otherwise I will try calling a couple more times. Either way I have a couple of weeks to figure it all out.

abishagenaden said:
unckeyherb said:
No I went through the whole process, canceled my service and received the return to sender box for all my equipment. My service was canceled, then I called and said I was regretting my decision. Asked if there was anything that could be done.ETA: if you read my first post, you'll see that my situation was a weird one as I currently have Fios and was carrying a self-suspended DTV account from a previous address. That made it easier to flat out cancel.

Made my second call to Directv today... TOUCHDOWN!

I was anticipating a battle as my first conversation several days ago ended up in me being offered only $10 off for 6 months. I was very polite and said I was looking for ways to reduce my bill and to see if there were any promotions involving the Sunday Ticket. The first representative said there was nothing other than the $10 off I had previously been offered. I said that I was considering switching to Dish which offered pretty much the same services for much less cost. She then transferred me to "another department", which we veterans of the process know is the retention department. With the second representative, I politely again asked what kind of special promotions they were having. I didn't even mention switching to Dish or threatening to cancel. Immediately off the bat, she said I could have Sunday Ticket for free. Before I could even say thank you, she then gave me a $200 Visa gift card for my Directv loyalty. And in addition, would also give $10 off for 12 months. I asked if there was a way I could get the Max for free too and presto, it was thrown in free as well.

Total savings to me for the cost of a 25 minute phone call: Free Sunday Ticket Max ($360) + $200 gift card + $10 off for 12 months ($120) = $680. What a deal. I know I probably could have gotten some free movie channels for three months and maybe pushed for $20 off a month, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of canceling the movie channels later and was more than happy with the money I've saved.

As the saying goes, you catch a lot more flies with sugar than vinegar! For all the grumbling that we always do about Directv, when the chips are put on the table, they have come through each time to maintain my business.

Called again, said "cancel service" to autobot. First person I talked to said they had nothing to offer me that included Sunday Ticket. I asked to speak to "retention person", she said she was the retention person. I set a cancellation date, she didn't flinch.

Much more difficult this year. I am not under contract, not sure what I need to do.

I will call to cancel one night after work this week. I am a Jets fan and live in the New York market. They don't give it to me for free or significantly discounted, then I just won't have it.

Just set cancel date for next week. What's my next move? Wait for them to contact me prior to the cancel date?

Running into some roadblocks since I got Max for free last year.

Last offer was $10 off for 12 months, 1/2 price max, and $200 gift card.

Users who are viewing this thread