What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Directv NFL Ticket.... (2 Viewers)

Stop supporting this monopoly so affordable streaming options become available to regular people.
It's like the crossfit of the entertainment world.

Congrats on jumping off the cliff. Sorry it's not working out as you planned, I guess. I feel no compelling reason to inconvenience myself "so affordable streaming options become available to regular people."
You must have missed the part about my IP address I guess. Not an inconvenience at all, cheaper and I'm not paying a middle man who has a monopoly over the US market.
Then why are you whining about " Stop supporting this monopoly so affordable streaming options become available to regular people." if affordable streaming options are already available? :confused:
Because those streaming options require us to go out of our way to sign up for/access them?
But Tonydead said it's "no inconvenience at all!" :confused:
I said, and you quoted me correctly, "to regular people". Regular people don't figure out how to spoof nfl.com with a vpn. They end up in expensive contracts with cable companies who've tried to monopolize everything people watch on tv. They end up paying HD fees, equipment rental, installation fees, channels they don't watch, a host of other crap they don't need and then find out their rates have increased at the end of the year if they don't call in a beg for a break.

The future isn't satellite or cable tv; it's steaming over the internet to whatever device you want at a low affordable a la carte price. The sooner people stop supporting big corporation, who've primarily sucked on the fat hog that is the US customer btw, the sooner that happens.
Especially now that DirecTV is directly in bed with Ma Bell, yet another organization pandering to the modern-day Luddites.

Well, I waited to the last minute. Spoke to a really nice guy named Steven. I said I needed the max for free. (no beating around the bush). I had been with directv since 1997. I had been billed $41.99 already twice for the regular sunday ticket. I have always had the max. Had a really good conversation about football, kids, and college. Initially I thought he was giving me the max for 1/2 off, & than I asked for additional monthly discounts. He said, no, I have given you the Max for free this year! I am also getting credited for what I had paid already.

As a poster said above, I am myself in my 40's & have 6 kids. It's a pain in the but to call. But you got to do it. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Be nice. I am happy with this offer. Some have gotten additional discounts, but I was happy with this!

Are you ready for some football!

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who weren't able secure a free Max upgrade yet they are offering it for a one time fee of $25 "today only" as opposed to the asked for price of $18 for 6 months.

I got my free ticket and other discounts while in contract earlier in the summer when calling about some billing/equipment issues. Tried to get Max for free and they told me to call back later.I called today and just took the $25 hit as I really didn't feel like haggling this morning.

FYI for anyone in a similar situation.

I called last night, didn't get my usual great deal, but after all the discounts I essentially get Maxx for free, and then have $40/ month off my bill for a year. And got Showtime for free for 4 months.

so I went to the Eagles Jets game this week, and of course I wanted to track my fantasy crap, so I busted out my Sunday Ticket on my Phone to check out the Red Zone Channel...Big Message "You are in or near an NFL stadium ...." can't remember the rest but says I NFL doesn't allow the use of Sunday ticket inside a stadium. What the hell is that all about, I pay for a service and I'm not home. I get the local broadcast thing, and even that makes zero sense, but why can't I watch my Sunday ticket while I'm falling asleep at an NFL stadium watching two crappy teams play a game????

so I went to the Eagles Jets game this week, and of course I wanted to track my fantasy crap, so I busted out my Sunday Ticket on my Phone to check out the Red Zone Channel...Big Message "You are in or near an NFL stadium ...." can't remember the rest but says I NFL doesn't allow the use of Sunday ticket inside a stadium. What the hell is that all about, I pay for a service and I'm not home. I get the local broadcast thing, and even that makes zero sense, but why can't I watch my Sunday ticket while I'm falling asleep at an NFL stadium watching two crappy teams play a game????
Wow. Why the hell would anyone care? You paid for your ticket already, you're drinking their crappy beer.

Turn off your location services maybe? Or at a minimum don't allow Sunday Ticket to access it?

If you can, they won't know where you are.

From https://nflsthelp.directv.com/hc/en-us/articles/204503939-I-m-near-a-stadium-Why-can-t-I-access-NFLSUNDAYTICKET-TV-

Help Center Troubleshooting Additional SupportADDITIONAL SUPPORTI'm near a stadium. Why can't I access NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV?Due to NFL rules, you cannot watch live games on your mobile device if you're in or near a stadium where a game is in progress. Also, read somewhere that it won't work if you turn off location services.
yes I tried that and it still didn't help. Just explain to me why it makes sense, that's ridiculous. Why does it matter if a game is in progress.

Random shot in the dark here...we are on vacation in NY and the in-laws were hoping to watch the steelers game. I don't have STMax this year, only the regular ST. Anybody have a MAX log in I can use for the 1:00 games today? If so please PM me. I can't think of anything I could trade, but if you have ideas let me know.

Turn off your location services maybe? Or at a minimum don't allow Sunday Ticket to access it?

VPN. Trick it to think you are at home or somewhere else in the world.

I don't know about all stadiums, but the Eagles offer the Red Zone channel for free inside the stadium. its build into the Eagles app.

I don't know about all stadiums, but the Eagles offer the Red Zone channel for free inside the stadium. its build into the Eagles app.
If we have learned nothing else about the NFL and the ability of fans to view their product, it is that there is NOTHING for free. The NFL will squeeze every last drop of currency from those willing to spend it and subject them to 7 minutes of commercials for every 2 minutes of on the field play for as long as the consumer will tolerate it.

Anyone call about getting the ticket for free this year yet? Called about two weeks ago and they couldn't do anything for me yet (Talked to Retention) and he noted it and said to call the last week of July or the first week of Aug. Then I might be able to swing a deal. We will see.

The trick is you must set up a disconnect date.
Has worked for me multiple times.
I would consider myself an expert at this as I've gotten it free for the last 9 years.  I went with the gusto today - they were VERY willing to let me walk...

Report back with your results Wheels Up.

Sure thing Curds.

I made this post on June 17th in this thread >>> https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/537834-can-you-negotiate-with-directv/?page=67#comment-19178712

I have been with DTV for 12 years and I called yesterday to cancel, not as a ploy but to genuinely cancel because of awful customer service and many other issues that I finally got fed up with. They called me back all day and today from a local number until I finally answered, didnt know it was them until I answered. After I told them I no longer want to be with ATT/DTV in an angry upset discussion and that I am bothered they even called me as much as they did after I cancelled, they threw everything at me. I MEAN EVERYTHING, My bill is 28 for the Ultimate for a year (before the fees and taxes, so $55 total roughly) was 120 before. I have every station for a year, including premiums and got the ST Max plus a $200 Visa gift card. By far the best deal I have ever gotten from DTV and needless to say they kept me. Glad I answered the darn annoying calls. The gentleman who helped me was wanting to keep me.

The game here is to prove you are not wanting them anymore no matter what, they will beg you to stay. They just dont make money off of you from your bill, they sell the amount of customers to their advertisers since they cant sell ratings. I heard a rumor that if DTV falls below a certain amount of subscribers. NFL can pull out of its deal.

WheelsUp said:
Sure thing Curds.

I made this post on June 17th in this thread >>> https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/537834-can-you-negotiate-with-directv/?page=67#comment-19178712

I have been with DTV for 12 years and I called yesterday to cancel, not as a ploy but to genuinely cancel because of awful customer service and many other issues that I finally got fed up with. They called me back all day and today from a local number until I finally answered, didnt know it was them until I answered. After I told them I no longer want to be with ATT/DTV in an angry upset discussion and that I am bothered they even called me as much as they did after I cancelled, they threw everything at me. I MEAN EVERYTHING, My bill is 28 for the Ultimate for a year (before the fees and taxes, so $55 total roughly) was 120 before. I have every station for a year, including premiums and got the ST Max plus a $200 Visa gift card. By far the best deal I have ever gotten from DTV and needless to say they kept me. Glad I answered the darn annoying calls. The gentleman who helped me was wanting to keep me.

The game here is to prove you are not wanting them anymore no matter what, they will beg you to stay. They just dont make money off of you from your bill, they sell the amount of customers to their advertisers since they cant sell ratings. I heard a rumor that if DTV falls below a certain amount of subscribers. NFL can pull out of its deal.
Well this year for the first I'm actually looking to cancel as well instead of just threatening.  Will be interested to see how it goes.

When they call you back, and they will (maybe even a number you dont recognize like in my case), dont cave. Tell them you are angry and would rather not have their service. See where it goes from there. I was not kind in my approach, but go with what works for you. I was sincere about leaving. Not long after the news about Dish not carrying them broke. I wonder if that has something to do with them not giving it up so easy.

Remember, you must set up a date to disconnect, do not disconnect immediately. There would be no reason for them to call you back if you are already disconnected.

So i just called cause I knew my credits and contract all just expired.  They offered me 50 bucks off for 12 months and 4 months movie channels.  I said no dice and set cancelation for tonight at midnight. They are sending boxes. 

I canceled my service yesterday, set a cancel service date of 4 weeks. They called today or u can call this number after u set a cancel date 1 855 407 3115 and I have $37 off per month for 1yr and NFL ticket max for free in 2016 with auto renewal. So there you go. Another yr done.

Anyone call about getting the ticket for free this year yet? Called about two weeks ago and they couldn't do anything for me yet (Talked to Retention) and he noted it and said to call the last week of July or the first week of Aug. Then I might be able to swing a deal. We will see.
same experience they said they would have offers much much closer to the season this year. Calling back later in August

You guys need to go see the thread in the free for all forum.  Tons of good info there.  I just took directv to the cleaners 

Boom, told you. You must set a cancellation, you must set up a time (a week or later from now) and stick to it.
They will call and beg you. Good job on a job well done.

I called to disconnect. My reason for canceling was they raised the rate and with Apple TV, I could watch the Big Ten Network there for free. I really did not want to cancel. Talked to some wench in Alabama who disconnected me. She basically said I should accept the higher pricing, and the market determined the rate. A day later they called and asked why I"quit" on them. I told them I wanted the original price. They asked what shows I like. BTN and the NFL was my answer. After a speech or two about how they were giving me the "best price", they gave me the original price ($57 a month had it for YEARS) and NFL ticket. They made a small mistake on my price quote and gave me a $200 gift card because I went on a rant to see what else they might throw at me. 1 year subscription. NEVER get the 2 year deal.

I recommend calling to cancel on a day that you will be away from the TV or on vacation. You don't miss the TV and they WILL call. It is to their advantage to offer the NFL package. No way I let AT&T manage the account. They could careless about its customers.

We've hit August.  I'm interested in what they begin to offer this time of year. :popcorn:

We've hit August.  I'm interested in what they begin to offer this time of year. :popcorn:

Guys in the FFL thread have been having success, though it seems like you might have some extra hoops to jump through this year. That being said- theyve been doing the actual cancellation, waiting until its official, and then some HUGE deals open up. Apparently you get an email and or a phone call with an offer called the Big Deal, but if you just call in you can ask for it too. Only works if you actually cancel and have the service turned off. But the payout is ridiculous, cant remember exactly but over a grand in goodies including free Max.

• Smile
Reactions: One
Guys in the FFL thread have been having success, though it seems like you might have some extra hoops to jump through this year. That being said- theyve been doing the actual cancellation, waiting until its official, and then some HUGE deals open up. Apparently you get an email and or a phone call with an offer called the Big Deal, but if you just call in you can ask for it too. Only works if you actually cancel and have the service turned off. But the payout is ridiculous, cant remember exactly but over a grand in goodies including free Max.
So it's after actual cancellation, not just setting up a cancellation appointment?

I'm fortunate in that this year I'm actually looking to cancel unless they just totally blow me away, so we'll see what happens.

I actually cancelled for 8 hours.  Called in and said I got the big deal email to come back.

Got 50 bucks off per month for 1 year

Free Sunday ticket max 

Free movie channels for 3 months

200 visa gift card

1 year commitment 

For those too lazy to go through that kind of extreme, I was able to call yesterday and get MAX for the price of regular ST; so $45/mo instead of $60. Brought the cost down $100; which was worth the 10 minute call. I just said I primarily watched RedZone and the regular price was too high for me.

For those too lazy to go through that kind of extreme, I was able to call yesterday and get MAX for the price of regular ST; so $45/mo instead of $60. Brought the cost down $100; which was worth the 10 minute call. I just said I primarily watched RedZone and the regular price was too high for me.
My call was also around 10 min.  It's wasn't hard to do at all

So it's after actual cancellation, not just setting up a cancellation appointment?

I'm fortunate in that this year I'm actually looking to cancel unless they just totally blow me away, so we'll see what happens.
Thanks Bagel,

Hmm..  I still have 5 months left on the contract.  

Been with direct tv since 2002, paying their absurd prices.  I would always call each August and hustle (that's how I felt, but they were still making money) them for NFL Sunday Ticket.  This year I have found a way to cut the cord, and save me alot.  If you are intrigued and would like more info, email me at jerkyjoker94@gmail.com.

Thanks mbuehner!

Hmmm, haven't gotten my DirecTV bill yet this year so haven't seen the absurd price increase yet

Two years ago I spent some time negotiating and in the end, they ended up paying me about $250 or so to keep it.  Almost felt bad last year so had a very quick call when I told them I'd be willing to pay $99.  And of course Max or whatever they call it is included.  Have never paid extra for it.  Never will.

Think I'll see if I can get it for 79 or 89 this year no hassle...

Glad my advice is working for some. If you set a cancellation date for 3 or 4 days from the day you call, they will call you to keep you with a good deal.

Glad my advice is working for some. If you set a cancellation date for 3 or 4 days from the day you call, they will call you to keep you with a good deal.

Waiting.

Offered $50 off for 12 months but only $10 off per month on NFL- Max.  Decided to hold out and set cancellation for the 15th.  We'll see.....

Anybody use the "To Go" option for Sunday Ticket (i.e. the app for Xbox/phones/etc)?

I can't get (nor do I want) Direct TV at my apartment and am looking into this. Does anyone know if you can stream from multiple devices at once? Like, could you watch two games simultaneously? 

What seems like a good idea is pay a friend to use his log in online.
It won't let you watch from the home DVR and allow remote access simultaneously.

Call up and ask to be put through to the retention department. If your contract is up they will usually bend over backwards to keep you,but they may want another 2 year contract.

Just called and talked to Retention.  They gave some pitiful offers so I went ahead and set up cancellation for next Monday 8/15 as recommended.

*fingers crossed*

I set up a cancellation for the 15th as well while still in a contract (possible $240 penalty).  I will wait a few days then call in with the big deal story telling them that I don't have the email in front of me....  Blah - blah - blah...

what at do I have to lose???

ill report back...  

What exactly does this email say?  Does it have a special phone number to call?  Am I just supposed to call and give the code word?

It won't let you watch from the home DVR and allow remote access simultaneously.

Call up and ask to be put through to the retention department. If your contract is up they will usually bend over backwards to keep you,but they may want another 2 year contract.
I've always had the red zone up on an Ipad and watched the tv at the same time while having ST max.  

Users who are viewing this thread