What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg Olsen signs with Seattle; with rumors to start rap career with Macklemore (1 Viewer)

links are your friend

And if tru, just why would the bears shop their #1 WR? Ok, #2 after Forte?
LINKIt's interesting the Chicago Bears made more noise from an NFL agent's email than an actual transaction through the early stages of free agency.

The Chicago Tribune reported early Thursday morning that Drew Rosenhaus, the agent for Chicago tight end Greg Olsen, sent a mass email to the NFL's general managers and personnel executives to announce the Bears were making his client available for a trade. Strangely, though, the original email was rescinded minutes later by Rosenhaus, who didn't immediately return phone calls or emails seeking comment.

The email -- which also reached Bears general manager Jerry Angelo and contract negotiator Cliff Stein -- reportedly explained that the Bears had given Rosenhaus permission to seek a trade for Olsen, adding that the club would "be very reasonable on the compensation in return for Greg."

Minutes later, Rosenhaus reportedly sent another mass email asking the recipients of the original message to disregard.

links are your friendAnd if tru, just why would the bears shop their #1 WR? Ok, #2 after Forte?
For the same reason that many were down on Olsen last year. Mad Mike does not use a TE in his offense. Last year he had no choice at times. If the Bears finally feel they have the WR's to execute Martz' offense, Olsen is as good as gone.

As much as it pains me to acknowledge this, he would be an awesome fit for the Giants. Local kid, position of need, would fit in well with Coughlin (he can handle discipline). As an Eagles fan I would love seeing him aboard, but I doubt it's the kind of move Philly makes because it wasn't "planned for."

Arizona should jump in on this. Kolb loves QBs and Housler is a risk.

There were rumors last year NE was interested, but they probably have enough TEs now.

As much as it pains me to acknowledge this, he would be an awesome fit for the Giants. Local kid, position of need, would fit in well with Coughlin (he can handle discipline). As an Eagles fan I would love seeing him aboard, but I doubt it's the kind of move Philly makes because it wasn't "planned for."
Was coming to post that I would love to see him on the Giants.

A source close to Greg Olsen tells NBC Sports Chicago the tight end is "not happy at all" with the recent trade talk and wants to play his entire career in Chicago.
He should probably talk to his agent.about that, since his agent.is the.one that sent the email that spurred this
It's very possible he did and that is what prompted the almost immediate retraction by the agent. The lack of communication there is a little surprising though.

I guess the Bears are trying to make sure that there are no good pass catchers on the entire team. Olsen would probably be a better fantasy player on another team.

Last edited by a moderator:
A source close to Greg Olsen tells NBC Sports Chicago the tight end is "not happy at all" with the recent trade talk and wants to play his entire career in Chicago.
He should probably talk to his agent.about that, since his agent.is the.one that sent the email that spurred this
It's very possible he did and that is what prompted the almost immediate retraction by the agent. The lack of communication there is a little surprising though.
Nothing should really be surprising when Rosenhaus is involved.

Does anyone want to venture a guess as to what the hell we are doing here? I mean, at this point I'm beyond being angry and just awed by it all. It's like we have no intention of competing one year after making the NFC title game.

Does anyone want to venture a guess as to what the hell we are doing here? I mean, at this point I'm beyond being angry and just awed by it all. It's like we have no intention of competing one year after making the NFC title game.
Well, 1st, step away from the ledge. the bears will be fine. I like olsen and I want him to stay, but his talents were hardly used last year. Losing him wont hurt that bad, we will get the 40 catches from bennett and an unknown wr that we add or have added (fauntez or the udfa we just signed).2nd, there are still a lot of players left. The bears are moving slow, but they do have time. There will be a 2nd.free agent rush tomorrow.when teams actually cut players. martz wants his te to.block, thats what hes gonna get. Like it or not...

I know, but if a blocking TE is that important to his scheme then a good o-line is too, and we don't have that and are about to lose the captain of that o-line. Furthermore, we have let several decent olinemen sign with other teams. So I don't get what we are doing.

Also, as small as Olsen's contribution was, it was fairly significant: tied for first in receiving TDs with five, 4th in receptions with 41.

I know, but if a blocking TE is that important to his scheme then a good o-line is too, and we don't have that and are about to lose the captain of that o-line. Furthermore, we have let several decent olinemen sign with other teams. So I don't get what we are doing.Also, as small as Olsen's contribution was, it was fairly significant: tied for first in receiving TDs with five, 4th in receptions with 41.
I'm with you that the bears need to do something, but only a couple linemen have been signed anywhere. Lots still left and more will be available with cuts. we also used a first round pick on o-line, so we are working on it. Also, as of now I'm hearing bears are favorites to keep olin (once again). olsen's contributions were not insignificant, but they are replacable. Lets see what they do

I know, but if a blocking TE is that important to his scheme then a good o-line is too, and we don't have that and are about to lose the captain of that o-line. Furthermore, we have let several decent olinemen sign with other teams. So I don't get what we are doing.Also, as small as Olsen's contribution was, it was fairly significant: tied for first in receiving TDs with five, 4th in receptions with 41.
Few things here:First, you have no idea whether or not Kreutz is going to leave. Right now, it's far more likely according to actual insiders that he stays, regardless of whether or not the Niners made an offer today. Secondly, Kreutz is not very good, anyways. Losing him would not be as big of a deal as many would make of it. He is a pretty terrible blocker at this point in his career and is only valuable in terms of continuity and cohesion.Next, Olsen is also not very good. He plays soft. He's responsible for far more incompletions than his drop totals indicate. He's not nearly as fast as his reputation indicates. Overall, he's just not that great - not nearly top 10 in the league - and he's not utilized well in Martz's offense, anyways. If they can get a 3rd or 4th or something, it's not a real loss.Lastly, the FA/Sign/Trade frenzy is far from over. The Bears will still make a couple moves here and are in pretty decent shape overall. Their top two draft picks alone should have you thrilled. Relax, they're going to be, at the very least, competitive.

Well, 1st, step away from the ledge. the bears will be fine. I like olsen and I want him to stay, but his talents were hardly used last year. Losing him wont hurt that bad, we will get the 40 catches from bennett and an unknown wr that we add or have added (fauntez or the udfa we just signed).2nd, there are still a lot of players left. The bears are moving slow, but they do have time. There will be a 2nd.free agent rush tomorrow.when teams actually cut players. martz wants his te to.block, thats what hes gonna get. Like it or not...
The problem is that Martz will be gone in a year or so. So then the Bears will be running a conventional offense, that will need a TE. The will get nothing in compensation for him. And the WRs that fit Martz's system, don't necessarily fit in other systems. So they will largely have to retool when Martz is gone, and he will go. And then they will be looking for a good TE. This is a team with very few playmakers. Olsen is a playmaker. You don't just give those away.

Purely speculative but ARI could be good for him. Not familiar with their O scheme but I wonder if Olsen could do some work split out there. And Kolb loves his TEs.

The problem is that Martz will be gone in a year or so. So them the Bears will be running a conventional offense, that will need a TE. The will get nothing in compensation for him. And the WRs that fit Martz's system, don't necessarily fit in other systems. So they will largely have to retool when Martz is gone, and he will go. And then they will be looking for a good TE. This is a team with very few playmakers. Olsen is a playmaker. You don't just give those away.
:goodposting: It makes no sense for the Bears to trade Olsen. What was the point in giving up the farm for Cutler if you aren't gonna make a play for any of the very good/great free agent WRs and you are gonna trade his own reliable TE or WR? I know the Bears are traditionally all about defense and running the ball, but if you give up that much to get a QB, regardless of who that QB is, you also have to get him some freaking weapons.

Wow, can't believe the level of sanity going on here. So you're saying a WR1 that is 180 pounds dripping wet can't be a 1500-yard double-digit TD guy?

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter More deals! Chicago Tribune reporting that Bears traded TE Greg Olsen to Panthers for a player to be named later and a draft pick.
So that moron Angelo traded Olsen, a first round pick, for a player to be named later, which means a scrub, and a draft pick. My guess is the draft pick is a fourth or less. Angelo has done a lot of stupid things, but this should be the last. He is a complete idiot. He should be fired. I can't even say how disgusted I am.

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter More deals! Chicago Tribune reporting that Bears traded TE Greg Olsen to Panthers for a player to be named later and a draft pick.
So that moron Angelo traded Olsen, a first round pick, for a player to be named later, which means a scrub, and a draft pick. My guess is the draft pick is a fourth or less. Angelo has done a lot of stupid things, but this should be the last. He is a complete idiot. He should be fired. I can't even say how disgusted I am.
and I thought I heard that the Bears had a ton of cap room as well so it's not even cap purposes...very odd. I wonder if there's more to the story or if he wanted an outrageous contract or something. It just doesn't seem to help them otherwise.

Yup- I fear we are going to get the no frill effort from the Bears again with some more rhetoric about how they almost went to the SB. This team is sitting pretty with a lot of dough under the cap with one of the best fan bases in the NFL and they make headlines signing a punter and trading a stud TE away for the chance for Jerry to obtain more offensive gold...

If the player was Steve Smith I would be okay with this, but the Tribune reports that it is reportedly not Steve Smith.

If the player was Steve Smith I would be okay with this, but the Tribune reports that it is reportedly not Steve Smith.
I think that Steve Smith's best days are behind him. Sure- he can contribute this year "if" he stays healthy but beyond that...I would like to see them go out and get OL help or Malcom Floyd. I would have been happy if they would have kept Olsen, went after Floyd or a solid OL player and tried to take a shot at Johnathan Joseph.

Lets not kid ourselves, in an NFL with lots of athletic TEs, Olsen is middle of the road. In an offense that doesn't utilize the TE often and he is in the last year of his contract....it makes sense.

A moron talked him into it. If Martz isn't there, Olsen still is.

Interesting move, considering they went out and got Shockey already.

Clearly they are trying to get some more weapons around Newton, but also seems be an indication that team brass is not overly satisfied with their WR group outside of Smith.

Lets not kid ourselves, in an NFL with lots of athletic TEs, Olsen is middle of the road. In an offense that doesn't utilize the TE often and he is in the last year of his contract....it makes sense.
The question is- what are they going to get in return? It looks like they are going to get middle of the road in return. If Olsen is middle of the road, what does that say about an offense that was ranked 30th last year, 28th in passing yards and 21st in PPG? The reason why the NFL is loaded with athletic TEs is due to the fact that this is a trend in the NFL. So why did they waste a first round draft pick on Olsen if they felt he was middle of the road?

The question is- what are they going to get in return? It looks like they are going to get middle of the road in return. If Olsen is middle of the road, what does that say about an offense that was ranked 30th last year, 28th in passing yards and 21st in PPG? The reason why the NFL is loaded with athletic TEs is due to the fact that this is a trend in the NFL. So why did they waste a first round draft pick on Olsen if they felt he was middle of the road?
Umm, pretty sure when they drafted him in the first round 5 yrs ago they were hoping he would be better than middle of the road. Just a hunch

Interesting move, considering they went out and got Shockey already.Clearly they are trying to get some more weapons around Newton, but also seems be an indication that team brass is not overly satisfied with their WR group outside of Smith.
Shockey isn't considered young and has battled a lot of injuries over the last few years. I think the Panthers signing Olsen is more of an indication at wanting to secure up that position. Here is a piece from the Charlotte Observer:
Like Jeremy Shockey, who signed with the Panthers before the lockout, Olsen played at the University of Miami. Both played for Panthers offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski, who was the tight ends coach and offensive coordinator for the Hurricanes.Olsen, who is in the final year of his rookie deal, caught 41 passes for 404 yards and five touchdowns last year in a Mike Martz offense that did not utilize the tight ends downfield.That will not be the case with the Panthers. At his introductory press conference, Ron Rivera, who watched tight end Antonio Gates exploit defenses in San Diego, said he wanted to find a tight end who could be productive in the pass game.Now the Panthers have found two, although Olsen has less mileage on his legs than the 30-year-old Shockey.They also signed blocking tight end Ben Hartsock, giving them a complete overhaul at the position.

For a late 1st round pick he was pretty good. At least, he improved for 3 straight seasons. Though aside from the Bears unloading him because they don't think they need him anymore, he probably wasn't as good as they hoped.

It makes sense to trade a solid player for nothing, how exactly does that make sense?
Solid player(41rec 404yards 5td) for one more year that isn't a priority in the offense for ????We don't know the details. But I do know that the Bears just finished 2nd in the bidding for Willie Colon. They are going to use the money on a position of need. THAT makes sense.

Umm, pretty sure when they drafted him in the first round 5 yrs ago they were hoping he would be better than middle of the road. Just a hunch
:goodposting: Olsen doesn't play as fast as his timed speed.Also in an NFL you have to go against trends. First it was the big DT's...then it was the cover 2....then the 3-4. Or run n shoot/k gun...good run game...zone blocking....then show on turf...then 2 good RB's in a committee...then spread...now spread with mismatch players...This game is always evolving

It makes sense to trade a solid player for nothing, how exactly does that make sense?
Don't talk to him. He does this every season. He takes up for every move by the team no matter how bad it is, then tells everyone they have no right to question it because NFL GM's are smarter than they are. Blah blah blah...

The Bears will receive a 2012 third-round pick from the Panthers in exchange for Greg Olsen.

After some speculation that LB Dan Connor was involved, it turns out the two teams couldn't agree on a player. The draft pick was then upgraded. We know Panthers GM Marty Hurney has few qualms parting with picks. The Chicago Sun-Times reports Olsen has agreed to extension in Carolina to tie up the final loose end

1 3rd isn't too shabby

The Bears will receive a 2012 third-round pick from the Panthers in exchange for Greg Olsen.

After some speculation that LB Dan Connor was involved, it turns out the two teams couldn't agree on a player. The draft pick was then upgraded. We know Panthers GM Marty Hurney has few qualms parting with picks. The Chicago Sun-Times reports Olsen has agreed to extension in Carolina to tie up the final loose end

1 3rd isn't too shabby
A 3rd isn't too bad, if the Bears knew how to draft. It will be wasted on a player that will never see the field and be cut in preseason.

Users who are viewing this thread