What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg Olsen signs with Seattle; with rumors to start rap career with Macklemore (2 Viewers)

Olsen wouldn't have returned with the Bears after this season. So he was a 1 year rental and the Bears got a 3rd rounder for him. The Steelers got a 5th rounder for Santonio Holmes.
Olsen might have returned if Martz was gone, which I think is a very real possibility. Holmes got in to legal trouble. The Steelers didn't trade him away for a fifth because he wasn't producing, they traded him because he was in trouble off the field. It isn't a fair comparison. The Steelers were just dumping Holmes. I'm not necessarily arguing that the Bears should have gotten more, I don't think they could of, but I think he will outperform his current perceived value. The Niners didn't trade away Vernon Davis when he wasn't producing, they got rid of Martz. I think that Martz will get Cutler killed and will be gone after this season. So the Bears will be chasing a pass catching TE, and they won't get one with that third round pick.
Marshall Faulk was traded for a 2nd and a 5th, better comparison? The Steelers didn't want to pay Holmes the money he would've commanded either, but true on the legal stance.Expecting Martz to be gone after this season and planing your personnel to fit the New OC is ridiculous. That's like signing a prenup at the altar, it doesn't help anything out. This isn't a case in which Olsen was the best offensive weapon Chicago had last season.Notes from camp today say that Kellen Davis made some good plays, including one great play up the seam. Davis is bigger and just as athletic IMO. Olsen fumbled often, didn't play as fast as his timed speed, and was soft.

Olsen wouldn't have returned with the Bears after this season. So he was a 1 year rental and the Bears got a 3rd rounder for him. The Steelers got a 5th rounder for Santonio Holmes.
Olsen might have returned if Martz was gone, which I think is a very real possibility. Holmes got in to legal trouble. The Steelers didn't trade him away for a fifth because he wasn't producing, they traded him because he was in trouble off the field. It isn't a fair comparison. The Steelers were just dumping Holmes. I'm not necessarily arguing that the Bears should have gotten more, I don't think they could of, but I think he will outperform his current perceived value. The Niners didn't trade away Vernon Davis when he wasn't producing, they got rid of Martz. I think that Martz will get Cutler killed and will be gone after this season. So the Bears will be chasing a pass catching TE, and they won't get one with that third round pick.
Marshall Faulk was traded for a 2nd and a 5th, better comparison? The Steelers didn't want to pay Holmes the money he would've commanded either, but true on the legal stance.

Expecting Martz to be gone after this season and planing your personnel to fit the New OC is ridiculous. That's like signing a prenup at the altar, it doesn't help anything out. This isn't a case in which Olsen was the best offensive weapon Chicago had last season.

Notes from camp today say that Kellen Davis made some good plays, including one great play up the seam. Davis is bigger and just as athletic IMO. Olsen fumbled often, didn't play as fast as his timed speed, and was soft.
In 4 seasons he had 3 lost fumbles and in two seasons he didn't fumble at all. That's often?

Surpised there isn't much discussion re: Olsen's FF prospects in Carolina.

Also, as a Saints fan I was none too thrilled about this, theories being espoused elsewhere that Rivera has big plans for using Olsen like Gates in San Diego.

Surpised there isn't much discussion re: Olsen's FF prospects in Carolina.Also, as a Saints fan I was none too thrilled about this, theories being espoused elsewhere that Rivera has big plans for using Olsen like Gates in San Diego.
Uh, as a Saints fan, I think you can relax, lol. Olsen in any way resembling the way Gates performs on the field is an absolute pipedream.

Marshall Faulk was traded for a 2nd and a 5th, better comparison? The Steelers didn't want to pay Holmes the money he would've commanded either, but true on the legal stance.Expecting Martz to be gone after this season and planing your personnel to fit the New OC is ridiculous. That's like signing a prenup at the altar, it doesn't help anything out. This isn't a case in which Olsen was the best offensive weapon Chicago had last season.Notes from camp today say that Kellen Davis made some good plays, including one great play up the seam. Davis is bigger and just as athletic IMO. Olsen fumbled often, didn't play as fast as his timed speed, and was soft.
According to Angelo, Olsen talked to him about a trade last year when they hired Martz. I guess he realized he would be an afterthought. He shut up and was the good soldier last year, so the Bears agreed to trade him this season. Here is the link:http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-angelo-on-olsen-came-at-me-hard-for-trade-after-martz-hired-20110731,0,5068685.storyI go back to I don't believe you can have enough good players on your team and I believe that Olsen is a good player. I think that if Davis is such an able replacement they should of looked at two TE sets. Dumping good players is never a good idea.I think at this point it may not matter. Angelo seems to be done signing OL. If that is the case then any of the WRs or TEs don't matter much. This was one of the worst offensive lines in the league last year. Tice did a masterful job of getting as much as he got out of these guys. If he gets Carimi and nothing else, then I think the Bears chances of winning this year are not very good. Cutler will get killed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marshall Faulk was traded for a 2nd and a 5th, better comparison? The Steelers didn't want to pay Holmes the money he would've commanded either, but true on the legal stance.

Expecting Martz to be gone after this season and planing your personnel to fit the New OC is ridiculous. That's like signing a prenup at the altar, it doesn't help anything out. This isn't a case in which Olsen was the best offensive weapon Chicago had last season.

Notes from camp today say that Kellen Davis made some good plays, including one great play up the seam. Davis is bigger and just as athletic IMO. Olsen fumbled often, didn't play as fast as his timed speed, and was soft.
I said that after the season Martz would be gone and that the Bears would be chasing a TE. Looks like that is indeed the case. Although Olsen didn't have the season I expected he is still head and shoulders better than Kellen Davis. Kellen Davis, despite Lovie's endorsement, is pretty much useless. The best teams are utilizing the TE, and getting athletes to play the position. The Bears were going backwards and expecting their TEs to block exclusively. This was stupid, and I'm glad the people who engineered this are gone. But it also means, in addition to all the other needs the Bears have, now they have to look for TE help too.

I think this is a case of both teams doing well.

Chicago got a high third round pick for a player they were going to lose and weren't going to use.

Carolina actually got a player that is decent with the third round pick. Truth be told, the Panthers (and a few other teams) should be trading most of their picks for guys like this.

Hey buddy

Olsen also was REALLY slowed down the last third of the season by injuries. I think he'll be a nice sleeper next year when 100% healthy and a year's experience with Cam.

'twistd said:

I said that after the season Martz would be gone and that the Bears would be chasing a TE. Looks like that is indeed the case. Although Olsen didn't have the season I expected he is still head and shoulders better than Kellen Davis. Kellen Davis, despite Lovie's endorsement, is pretty much useless. The best teams are utilizing the TE, and getting athletes to play the position. The Bears were going backwards and expecting their TEs to block exclusively. This was stupid, and I'm glad the people who engineered this are gone. But it also means, in addition to all the other needs the Bears have, now they have to look for TE help too.
I still don't think it was a bad trade by Chicago. Greg Olsen was an UFA at the end of the season and may/may not have retained him. Instead they got a high 3rd round pick for him (#64 or 65).-Antonio Gates=undrafted free agent

-Jimmy Graham=3rd round pick(#95)

-Rob Gronkowski=2nd round pick(#42)

-Jermichael Finley=3rd round pick(#91)

-Aaron Hernandez=4th round pick(#113)

The best TE's in the NFL could possibly be selected for the pick the Bears received for Greg Olsen.

'BassNBrew said:
I think this is a case of both teams doing well. Chicago got a high third round pick for a player they were going to lose and weren't going to use.Carolina actually got a player that is decent with the third round pick. Truth be told, the Panthers (and a few other teams) should be trading most of their picks for guys like this.
The Bears did not do well in this trade. It may have been a fair trade, but it wasn't a good trade. They would be much better off with Olsen rather than a third round pick. I said this before the season. They were dumping Olsen to please Martz. I didn't think Martz would be around after the season, and I was right. The Bears thought that Kellen Davis was a good replacement. He proved that he is a good blocker and pretty useless in the passing game. Now the Bears will be using a more conventional offense and they will need a TE that can catch the ball. The best teams in the league, GB, NO, NE, SF, all have been utilizing the TE, but the Bears decide that they just need TEs who can block. It was another in a long list of stupid things they did this season.

'twistd said:

I still don't think it was a bad trade by Chicago. Greg Olsen was an UFA at the end of the season and may/may not have retained him. Instead they got a high 3rd round pick for him (#64 or 65).-Antonio Gates=undrafted free agent

The best TE's in the NFL could possibly be selected for the pick the Bears received for Greg Olsen.
The odds of getting one of those guys in any round is unlikely, much less the third. Just because the Bears got maximum value through a draft pick doesn't mean it was a good trade. Now that Martz is gone and Kellen Davis is a bum, the Bears will be searching for a pass catching tight end again. The game has changed and most teams have gone out a pass catching tight end. The Bears don't have one now and the reason they don't was just shown the door. It was a bad move.

'twistd said:

I think you were wrong before the season, and you are wrong now. Can the Bears draft a guy like Graham or Gronk? Yes they can. But how likely is it? In the five years, before 2011, there were 82 TEs drafted, 67 drafted in the third round or later. I excluded 2011 because no one has shown much in that draft class yet. Of those 82 there are 17 that have at least 100 catches. Of that 17 there are 8 that have been drafted in the third round or later. The names of those eight are:

Jimmy Graham

Aaron Hernandez

Jermichael Finley

Kevin Boss

Brent Celek

Leonard Pope

Owen Daniels

Jeff King

Of that list Olsen has more catches than Boss, Pope, Celek and King. I'd probably take Daniels over Olsen. I'd definitely take Graham, Hernandez, and Finley over Olsen. I'd probably take Celek over Olsen. But that means there are five players, out of 67, who are equal to, or better than Olsen. So the chances that the Bears draft a guy who is as good or better than Olsen with that third round pick are about 7.4%. Not very good odds if you ask me.

In the five years, before 2011, there were 82 TEs drafted, 67 drafted in the third round or later.
Why would that be included in the odds when we know it's an early 3rd round pick?

sums it up

How bad does the Greg Olsen trade look?

By Kevin Seifert

Here's one way to think about Tuesday's news from the Chicago Bears: It all goes back to Greg Olsen.

General manager Jerry Angelo was fired because he ran a front office that was willing to trade Olsen because the Bears' current scheme placed low priority on tight ends. And offensive coordinator Mike Martz was sent away because he ran a scheme that, among other things, couldn't adequately incorporate a player of Olsen's unique skills.

Obviously, last summer's trade of Olsen is one of many flash points that led to what happened Tuesday. But now more than ever, I find his late-July departure from Chicago to be a tight illustration of what should never, ever, ever, never, ever happen in an NFL franchise.

Olsen was the Bears' first-round draft choice in 2007. He had the size of a tight end, but was faster than most, and had receiver-like ball skills that are heavily valued by most NFL teams. His career peaked in 2009, when he caught 60 passes for 612 yards and eight touchdowns, but his impact was limited in a Martz offense that mostly asked tight ends to block and excluded them from the kind of matchups Olsen had already shown he could beat.

His production dropped to 41 receptions in 2010, and with Martz set to return, Angelo couldn't justify extending Olsen's contract when he was destined to be a supplemental contributor. So Angelo traded Olsen to the Carolina Panthers, who promptly signed him to a four-year contract extension worth about $23 million and watched as he caught 45 passes for 540 yards and five touchdowns.

The Bears, meanwhile, had only one player catch more than 37 passes, and that was running back Matt Forte (52 receptions).

Martz committed the first cardinal sin in this episode by not building his scheme around the skills of his players. And Angelo committed the second, not only by presiding over that mistake but compounding it by taking his eye off the horizon.

Martz had turned down a contract extension entering the season, starting the clock on his eventual departure. As the general manager, Angelo needed to hedge on Martz's future and protect an asset that would be of value beyond the potential end of Martz's tenure. Every other coordinator in the NFL, including whoever takes the Bears' job, has a scheme that would use Olsen more than Martz did.

Coach Lovie Smith apparently believes that Kellen Davis could be a similar player, but after catching 28 passes in four seasons, Davis represents hope rather than serious projection. In the end, the Bears traded away one of their best players because he didn't fit a scheme that they summarily dumped five months later. That should never happen.

If this keeps up in Carolina Olsen, already no. 1 receiver in CAR (109/73/816/6), is in store to take a decent chunk of the Panthers' missing WR production if LaFell doesn't come back (and maybe even if he does).

SS 109/64/745/4

LaFell 88/49/627/5

Ginn 68/36/556/5

Hixon 9/7/55/1

156/1983/15 somehow is going to be distributed among maybe a couple free agents of determinable quality to be seen and maybe likely a 1st round pick and maybe a mid-round pick, fair enough?

No matter what I think Olsen will be getting extra targets, catches, yards, TDs.

(By the way, Carolina is very, very lucky that Martz was there in that place and time to essentially lead the Bears to be shopping Olsen around to whatever takers, it's also pretty amazing he was dealt for just a 3rd rounder because he is an excellent a TE, worth the 1st round pick originally spent on him).

Doesn't seem like much changed here in the draft.

Benjamin is no lock solid future success and the Panthercats got no other WRs in the draft.

So, right now I guess the WR depth chart is as follows:

Benjamin

Cotchery

Avant / Underwood

King

McNutt

Pilares

Clemons

Lucas

Berins

Plus these two UDFA's:

Corey Brown WR Ohio State
Marcus Lucas WR Missouri

Benjamin is the immediate future, but even though there's not a lot of FF WR value here it could be interesting to see at least who else emerges in Carolina whether it's King, or Underwood, or Cotchery or McNutt, if Benjamin starts slowly.

Olsen could be the big beneficiary, maybe finally even be a top 5 TE, when all is said and done.

Benjamin is no lock solid future success and the Panthercats got no other WRs in the draft.

Benjamin

Cotchery

Avant / Underwood

King

McNutt

Pilares

Clemons

Lucas

Berins

Plus these two UDFA's:

Marcus Lucas WR Missouri

Benjamin is the immediate future, but even though there's not a lot of FF WR value here it could be interesting to see at least who else emerges in Carolina whether it's King, or Underwood, or Cotchery or McNutt, if Benjamin starts slowly.

Olsen could be the big beneficiary, maybe finally even be a top 5 TE, when all is said and done.
An absolute fantasy wasteland other than Olsen. Newton will be a "no draft" on my redraft teams.

Until Olsen gets triple covered because he's the only receiver in Carolina worth a damn.
This could still happen I guess, but the receiving corps seems like such a mishmash I bet Olsen easily picks up an extra couple hundred yards and 3-4 TD's out of the departed 1983/15.

Greg Olsen for Brandon Hardin.

SMH.
So basically for free.

That's on Angelo but then Emery compounded it by getting nothing with the pick.
I look back that trade and it still pisses me off. Olsen was the best receiving option they had at the time. They underutilized him and then traded him because he didn't fit in that cockamamie scheme that Martz was running. Of course Marttz got fired the following year, just as I said he would. And then to make it worse they draft Brandon Hardin with the pick they got. Hardin was another in a long line of useless safeties that the Bears have drafted. I hope that Vereen breaks the streak, but the Bears seem to make an annual ritual of drafting a safety in the middle rounds who can't play.

At least the Bears were able to sign Bennett last year. That really shored up that position. But it was frustrating watching all this go down.

My father in law #####es about losing Olsen every time we talk football. I agree, this move set the franchise back quite a bit.

Benjamin

Cotchery

Avant / Underwood

King

McNutt

Pilares

Clemons

Lucas

Berins

Plus these two UDFA's:

Marcus Lucas WR Missouri

I think Underwood will be Ginn. Benjamin should be an immediate threat on 3rd downs and in the red zone. Olsen will still be one of the leading receivers and Dickson will grab some catches. Of the rest I think King has the best shot of doing something.

My father in law #####es about losing Olsen every time we talk football. I agree, this move set the franchise back quite a bit.
Hurney could not find a WR if one fell on his face and started to wiggle, but you have to give the guy some credit...O-Line and TE were his sweet spot. Very randomly, just this weekend I took a look at the 2006 draft. Jeff King was one of the few guys from his round to still be playing in the NFL. He also got a decent amount out of Rosario.

Although the Bears now have a Pro Bowl-caliber tight end of their own in Martellus Bennett, former general manager Jerry Angelo lamented this week that "it was a mistake" to trade Olsen.

"I understood he wasn't the ideal fit in (Mike Martz's) scheme, but we let our best receiver go," Angelo explained on WGWG Chicago. "Obviously it was Cutler's favorite receiver at the time. ... That's on me. I understood what the coaches were saying, but you don't let one of your better players out the door."

Angelo acknowledges that Olsen is an "excellent player" in the passing game and has gone on to become Cam Newton's favorite target.

The Bears fared even better, flipping the Panthers' third-round pick to Miami in exchange for Brandon Marshall, already the greatest wide receiver in franchise history.

As much as Angelo regrets the trade, it's one that has worked out well for both teams.
Terrible, that is so weak, but he's lucky that pick turned into Marshall.

Rotoworld:

Greg Olsen - TE - Panthers

Greg Olsen said he hasn't had any substantial contract extension talks with the Panthers yet.

Olsen's deal is not a priority as he's signed through the 2015 season. It would also be silly for the Panthers to "buy high" right now as the tight end is coming off a career-best season at age 29. We wouldn't be surprised if the Panthers make Olsen play out 2015 as a contract-year player, ensuring he's highly motivated as the No. 2 pass-game weapon behind Kelvin Benjamin.

Source: Charlotte Observer

Jan 27 - 10:14 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Panthers reporter David Newton expects Carolina to extend TE Greg Olsen's contract before the 2015 season.

With Olsen able to become a free agent after the 2015 season, Newton expects the Panthers will try to get something done this summer rather than letting the situation drag into the season. After Olsen put up a career year in 2014, Carolina runs the risk of "buying high" on a player that will be 30-years-old when the season begins. Olsen has been extremely consistent over the last three seasons, however, and the aging curve for tight ends is usually less steep than other positions. A three- or four-year deal could make sense for both sides.

Source: ESPN
Jan 31 - 11:14 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Panthers reporter David Newton expects Carolina to extend TE Greg Olsen's contract before the 2015 season.

With Olsen able to become a free agent after the 2015 season, Newton expects the Panthers will try to get something done this summer rather than letting the situation drag into the season. After Olsen put up a career year in 2014, Carolina runs the risk of "buying high" on a player that will be 30-years-old when the season begins. Olsen has been extremely consistent over the last three seasons, however, and the aging curve for tight ends is usually less steep than other positions. A three- or four-year deal could make sense for both sides.

Source: ESPN

Jan 31 - 11:14 AM
Olsen seems to take good care of himself and I wouldn't be surprised if he was very productive for 3-4 years. Really seems to just be hitting his stride.

He was on Cowherd's show last week and he's outstandingly smart and well-spoken. He definitely has a future in sports broadcasting.

New Orleans Saints at Carolina Panthers: Three to watch Sunday

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article36641997.html

Excerpt:

Look for Olsen early and often

After Greg Olsen caught only one pass in a Week 1 win at Jacksonville, Cam Newton targeted his tight end 14 times last week against Houston. Olsen caught six passes for 70 yards against the Texans, with his longest reception covering 27 yards. With wideout Jerricho Cotchery out with a high ankle sprain, Olsen should again factor heavily in Mike Shula’s game plan. Olsen caught a career-high 10 passes for 72 yards and a touchdown last December in New Orleans, the start of a two-game stretch in which Olsen pulled down 20 receptions.

I'm not worrying about him. He's still in the set it and forget it category, the TDs will hopefully start coming and this week would be nice. With the amount of targets it's difficult to imagine him not hitting pay dirt soon even if he is being covered pretty tightly

Appearing on ESPN Adam Schefter's Know Them From Adam podcast, Greg Olsen wouldn't rule out holding out of training camp in hope of a new contract.

Olsen has two years remaining on his deal at base salaries of $6.5 million. In terms of annual average, he makes less than Charles Clay. Olsen has proven over the years that he's one of the league's best tight ends and most reliable having not missed a game since 2007. When asked directly by Schefter if he'd skip the start of camp, Olsen said it's "too early" to say. He turned 32 in March and said he thinks he can play another 5-6 seasons in the league.

Source: Know Them From Adam Podcast

Jun 21 - 9:46 AM

Users who are viewing this thread